Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for A.S.

Real Name A.S.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname shiho
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 18, 2011, 06:27
Total Comments 574 (Apprentice)
User ID 56986

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Source 2 Running on Vulkan
25. Re: Source 2 Running on Vulkan Sep 24, 2015, 20:04 shiho

Bundy wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 19:30:
Honestly, if Vista and Windows 8 weren't the straw that the broke the back and started the consumer desktop Linux revolution, nothing ever will.

Like someone said earlier, every year we hear that this will be the year. MS did something people didn't like and we'd see a mass flocking to Linux, but it never happens. You can't blame people for doubting it will ever happen.

But Linux has it's strong places in the market, server farms and Android foremost among them.

You can't just "start a revolution" when the OS isn't ready. Vista was what, 2007. Now it's 2015. Linux continues maturing over time, it's not some static entity. Just as Microsoft keeps making more and more blunders over time.

I know people who use Linux as their desktop OS and have done so for years. The common theme is, they're techies who know how to fix stuff, and they don't really game. Valve's gaming push on Linux is starting to address one of its weakest aspects.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Source 2 Running on Vulkan Sep 24, 2015, 19:00 shiho

Wilson! wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 18:17:
shihonage wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 15:49:
There are 1500 games on Linux already... Valve is undermining Microsoft, and it's doing all the right things. Linux is the future that's been taking its time coming, but it is inevitable... Mr. Anderson.

So you're running Linux instead of Windows then right?

Did I say "future" or "present"? :\

I am acknowledging trends - both in Microsoft's stupidity and Linux's improving software and driver support. Given how I am jaded with 99.999999% games out there, it wouldn't be too difficult for me to dump Windows software base if the push comes to shove.

I pretty much don't play anything anymore, but the creative and technological stagnation of the industry is an entirely different topic.

A game I am working on now is using SDL, which is a cross-platform 2D/sound/input/timer library.

This "push" to switch OSes may happen when Windows 7 becomes unsupported. Meanwhile, regardless, I applaud any attempt to negate Microsoft's shitty forced upgrade tactics (with stuff like Vulkan), and to undermine Windows as the go-to PC operating system.

Because Microsoft has gone fu&#1089;king nuts. First it happened when they made Office 2007 and onward unusable by sane human beings with their "ribbon interface".

Then, somehow they got away with making Vista a memory-eating monster, by essentially renaming Vista SP2 into Windows 7. Same exact performance, same almost everything, but a new name, classic Start Menu is gone, and voila, Windows 7 is suddenly great!

Then Windows 8, explanation not required. I spent 20 minutes figuring out how to restart the computer with that horror.

Windows 8.1, where start menu is not actually a start menu.

And Windows 10, the Freemium OS that mines data and keystrokes and doesn't really turn it off when you check all the "right boxes". The OS that in its common editions doesn't let you turn off Automatic Updates, either. You gotta start messing with editing registry and disabling services and hoping that some stray Windows update doesn't turn all the garbage back on.

Because Microsoft is doing that, too. They're now slipping "metrics" updates into Windows 7 and 8.

So yeah... enjoy your normalcy bias, but I am looking forward to the near future.

20. Re: Source 2 Running on Vulkan Sep 24, 2015, 17:52 shiho

Razumen wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 17:35:
What missteps with W10? You mean the privacy settings that were plainly obvious during setup? Or them deactivating support for old shitty DRM? The first of which was greatly overblown, and the second is a good move on their part.

Always cute to see an early adopter justify their choices. "Overblown" LMAO.

16. Re: Source 2 Running on Vulkan Sep 24, 2015, 15:49 shiho

Vulkan is just one of the signs of the times. Microsoft's made horrendous mis-steps in Windows 8 and 10, not to mention Office, and its policy of forcing people to upgrade to new OS to get new DX API is getting really old at this point.

There are 1500 games on Linux already... Valve is undermining Microsoft, and it's doing all the right things. Linux is the future that's been taking its time coming, but it is inevitable... Mr. Anderson.

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: etc., etc. Sep 18, 2015, 06:07 shiho

Dirty Bomb?  

News Comments > Evening Patches
2. Re: Evening Patches Sep 15, 2015, 02:45 shiho

I hear they removed Zed teleporting garbage. If so, hooray!  

News Comments > StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void in November
11. Re: StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void in November Sep 15, 2015, 01:38 shiho

Never cared for Zerg campaigns in SC... if I want flashbacks to cleaning my toilet, I'll just go clean my toilet.  

News Comments > Fallout 4 Not Specced Yet
9. Re: Fallout 4 Not Specced Yet Sep 15, 2015, 01:25 shiho

Will require SSD for those "entering tiny hut/exiting tiny hut" loading screens.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
9. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 14, 2015, 07:39 shiho

HDD's mechanical nature means there's a much better chance of data recovery. Once an SSD goes tits up, and many of them do it without warning, good luck accessing it at all.  

News Comments > SMITE on Steam
8. Re: SMITE on Steam Sep 9, 2015, 00:22 shiho

OH. MY. GOD.

jacobvandy wrote on Sep 8, 2015, 20:26:
shihonage wrote on Sep 8, 2015, 20:04:
Tribes Never Forget

Funny you should mention that, as they just announced they're working on a new patch for Tribes: Ascend. Better late than never, I guess, even if it is a last hurrah thing before they shelve it for good.

News Comments > SMITE on Steam
4. Re: SMITE on Steam Sep 8, 2015, 20:04 shiho

Tribes Never Forget  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 25, 2015, 04:55 shiho

I want a pizza button.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
27. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2015, 23:29 shiho

Sepharo wrote on Aug 23, 2015, 23:10:
It's easy to just pick something out of a hat and claim I don't know about it.
My comment wasn't about your thoughts on the NSA illegal spying techniques revealed (or brought to greater awareness) by American hero Edward Snowden.

You replied to a post where I made 2 specific examples, and the entirety of your reply was ridicule.

Now, of course, you're wiggling out of it. You're trying to stay in the zone of non-specific, to cover your ignorance of anything concrete, and so you can keep taking pot shots like an obnoxious clown.

Nothing less was expected. Enjoy the sound of your own voice.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2015, 20:04 shiho

Sepharo wrote on Aug 23, 2015, 18:06:
"research facts" = spend a lot of time on right wing and conspiracy sites, watches lots of youtube videos with breathless men ranting while 90s all seeing eye graphic art slowly zooms in and out.

Wait, what?

The NSA scandal was even covered on leftist's favorite HuffPost, with a picture of ObamaBush hybrid on the front page. It caused Google to amp up security between its datacenters, among other things. Everyone knows who Edward Snowden is now.

... well, except you, who lives in a cave.

The IRS scandal had multiple hearings and is still being investigated. It's an official legal process, that's slowly accumulating damning evidence, including the part where IRS consistently and blatantly DESTROYED data when access to it was requested, and Lois Lerner has been weaving and dodging the law.

The investigation is ongoing.

We live in the age where real news is getting buried on page 7. But the lot of you are intent on remaining fast asleep.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2015, 16:30 shiho

Cutter wrote on Aug 23, 2015, 12:14:
Uh huh, you just keep trying to rationalize away your extremism there, Scooter. I'm sure you'll actually believe it someday. After all, repeat the lie long enough....

I don't need to rationalize everything, I just research facts. What NSA and IRS-Stazi have been doing under Obama, alone, should make anyone's hair stand up. Just those two.

Unless, of course, you believe the old adages, "as long as they come for someone else and not me, it's fine", and "invasion of privacy only concerns those who have something to hide".

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2015, 07:17 shiho

1badmf wrote on Aug 23, 2015, 07:10:
as someone's who politically apathetic

they're almost to spanish inquisition levels of head-in-the-sand anti-reason fear-mongering, intolerance, greed and hypocrisy.

Nothing to see here, just another Daily Show fan trying to pass himself as an unbiased observer.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2015, 07:04 shiho

jdreyer wrote on Aug 23, 2015, 06:36:
I have my issues with Obama, especially civil liberties issues, but others as well. I do with every president. That being said, whatever Obama has done pales in comparison to the 4,493 American lives lost, hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqi lives lost, and $1.5 TRILLION American dollars spent on the entirely unnecessary Iraq war started by G.W. Bush and the Repubs. Not to mention running the economy into the dirt in 2007. The Dems are not perfect, but at least they're interested in governing, unlike Repubs who want to "shrink government down and drown it in the bathtub." Seriously, if you hate Obama so much, go back to mother Russia. I hear Putin gives all the lads wood with his blustery illegal war to annex Crimea.

Yes yes, the war was a mistake. 20/20 hindsight.

Somehow you assume that because I think Obama is bad, this makes Bush good? You assume that I support a "party" such as the so-called "Republicans"? Bush was a national embarrassment which made further embarrassment - Obama - possible.

As for mother Russia comment... somehow you mistake hating Obama for hating America.

America certainly doesn't treat its veterans in such a criminal way. America would call Kate Steinle's parents. America would wait for a verdict before riling up Ferguson thugs to burn their city. America wouldn't leave its own to fend for themselves in Benghazi. America wouldn't trade Bergdahl for 5 ISIS operatives. America would retrieve its hostages from Iran, and wouldn't give in to a crappy nuclear deal.

Obama doesn't know America, Obama doesn't care for America, and Obama certainly isn't America.

After a long period of not knowing, not caring, and judging by appearances... "that Obama seems pretty cool with his selfie stick... that Bush seems so folksy with his cowboy hat..." this country is arriving to the point where Presidential candidates are being judged by their actual accomplishments and abilities.

Not by their hair, by depth of their voice, by how they swing their golf club, or by how well their pre-written speech is written.

People are about to start judging candidates by their history, credentials and behaviors, not pre-scripted appearances and empty promises.

I sincerely hope this point arrives in 2016, not 2020. But I'm afraid the populace hasn't yet been shaken enough from its slumber.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2015, 05:38 shiho

wrong button  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2015, 05:23 shiho

It is nothing short of remarkable how dutifully Obama supporters avoid doing research on his administration and how closely they follow the narratives of government-controlled "news media".

Dismantling their delusions and ignorance is truly a monumental affair. It always wastes too much energy and time, and leads to absolutely nothing.

Real change comes from within. This country has to truly feel the impact of Obama's multiple failures on economy and foreign relations and his seething hatred for the middle class. You have to get hit over the head with it.

Again and again and again, until you are thrown jarringly from your complacent everyday life of just "having things", and are shocked into having to "find things", into experiencing deficits and hardships every day, like we did in Soviet Union, and then you'll be forced to smarten up and see what really goes on - behind the canned press releases and statistically researched teleprompter speeches.

Obama's administration is currently refusing to release documents regarding the extremely suspicious death of team members from Seal Team 6 (the alleged Bin Laden kill team). Will you see that on front page of CNN? I think not.

Will you ever see the enormous scandals where IRS was wielded to skew the elections, where DOJ killed our own border agents, where Obama+Hillary were willing to sacrifice 40 Americans to support narrative for upcoming re-election? What about DOJ spying on the press? They just come, like a flash in the pan, and go.

Meanwhile, data is erased, the oligarchs laugh in our faces, and Jon Stewarts and Bill Mahers of this world dance on the stage making their daily "2 minutes of hate" toward those who raise doubt on the status quo.

Beyond pathetic. Beyond sad.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2015, 00:47 shiho

Shineyguy wrote on Aug 22, 2015, 21:54:
Julio wrote on Aug 22, 2015, 20:37:
RoboNerd wrote on Aug 22, 2015, 13:43:
Hats off to the American and British passengers for quick action on that Islamo-facist who thought a train would be easy pickins. Well done Smart

Glad to see they took him down. Religion of peace my ass.

Same could have been said for Christianity. Can't account for crazy in every religion; they all have them, and at one time or another the crazies give the rest a bad name.

lolno

574 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo