Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for A.S.

Real Name A.S.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname shihonage
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 18, 2011, 06:27
Total Comments 568 (Apprentice)
User ID 56986

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Free ain't enough reason Jul 22, 2016, 18:23 shihonage

TheEmissary wrote on Jul 22, 2016, 17:20:
RedEye9 wrote on Jul 22, 2016, 11:34:
If you're happy with Win7 or you have older software/hardware that's incompatible with Win10, there is no compelling reason to upgrade. Windows 7 will continue to get fixes until 2020 ! By then, you'll probably need a new machine anyway, and you'll have to upgrade to a new Windows.

Those 4 years will fly by before you know it. If you care about stability or privacy perhaps you should start migrating off the platform to something under control or one you have the source code, such as Linux.

One way or the other your going to have to make a transition as the cost of keeping up with modern standards.

Win8.1 is the intermediary as it supports the same partition types and a lot of the same hardware as Win10.

In fact, by disabling signature checking I successfully installed a Win10 WiFi driver on Windows 8.1... because Acer is an asshole which removed all Win8.1 drivers from their site.

After that, I might try Win10 LTSB edition, which by that point should have a lot of techie packet snooping research done on it, and could maybe possibly kind of be TAMED, as it is more of an old-school OS rather than "OS as a service".

Or, go to Linux, yes.

My $0.99 ASCII game: http://store.steampowered.com/app/406920
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
59. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 21, 2016, 00:55 shihonage

Numinar wrote on Jul 21, 2016, 00:19:
Seems like a good move on twitters part though I think Milo is great. A massive self-admitted arsehole who has gone on the record of "not liking nice people" and thinks anyone who ever voices any compassion for anyone or any cause is just virtue signaling and trying to get laid. So not someone you would want to have a beer with probably but his writing is sharp and his gay jokes are hilarious so I hope he never stops.

I've watched many Milo speeches and have never seen him claim he "doesn't like nice people", or thinks that compassion is virtue signaling.

He seems like a very nice, personable individual.

He does label the modern "journalism" as virtue signalers, because they are just that. Instead of pursuing factual truth, "we report you decide", they create their own narratives in order to elevate their self-importance and virtue-signal to their peers as some sort of holier-than-thou competition in "getting the right message across".

I would love to hang out with him. I love truth-tellers, they're a rare breed.

41. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 20, 2016, 19:45 shihonage

Quboid wrote on Jul 20, 2016, 18:32:
Tshihonage's kool-aid fuelled rant

The kool-aid spilled around here is all yours.

24. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 20, 2016, 17:26 shihonage

descender wrote on Jul 20, 2016, 16:08:
It had absolutely nothing to do with "ghostbusters".

This dickless wonder was banned for leading a mob of hate-filled assholes to attack someone on the internet. Yeah, kudos to him for raising the awareness that bigots and racists still exist in this world.

There is no place in society for people like him, or people who agree with the things he does. These cowards have absolutely no clue what the first amendment is or what it protects. He certainly doesn't deserve any "praise" and I can't actually believe someone did just that.

The blanket dismissal of BLM/feminists/etc is really driving home the point of who you are as a person though. How'd you slip through that filter?

Obama repeatedly and wrongly incited racial division (as did his wife), and helped fuel the destruction at Ferguson and the cop killings that followed (by sending the DOJ investigators to mess with an open-and-shut case). Hillary Clinton continues doing that in her speeches as we speak, blaming the victim as police officers keep getting killed.

All 3 are racists, who are exploiting racial division to detract from the horrible things they've done while in office. Eric Holder aided and abetted them on this.

Right now Hillary is fanning these flames simply to distract from gigantic corruption scandal that's erupting around her and has forever tainted the reputation of FBI.

None of them are banned from Twitter.

I am sure there are plenty of BLM activists literally calling for death of police, who are not banned from Twitter, either. Nor are millions of Muslims who want homosexuals dead.

But a man who speaks the truth about what's going on, speaks it directly, is considered a danger to society.

I grew up in Soviet Union, back when it was still the Soviet Union. We had a government-controlled news media. With exception of Fox News, Drudge, and a scattering of smaller Internet sources, America has the same problem.

I find it absolutely frightening and disgusting that a person like Milo, who has never incited racial hatred in his life, is considered more dangerous than those who do. That a person like Milo, who encourages gay people to be aware of what's really going on in the Muslim community (and this is supported by data), encourages gays to carry guns to protect themselves, is considered a "bigot".

That him pointing out the statistical truth about "rape culture", makes him "hateful". According to the Left, a college campus has 1 in 5 women raped, which makes it more dangerous than the congo.

We live in the medieval ages again. The word "heretic" has been replaced by the words "bigot" and "racist". The Church Of Political Correctness has successfully eliminated factual thinking, instead we have millions of hysterical troglodytes, easily triggered by the programmed words.

The education system has successfully eliminated any critical thinking, instead pandering to the easily exploitable wish to be "special" that young people have.

I remember how that works. We are the new generation, the better one. The "progressives". Screw all those old, spiderweb-draped people and all the old stuff that happened, history means nothing. We are simply better, you see, and we know what's right.

As a Soviet Pioneer who wore a red tie, much like kids still do in China today, I very much remember how we were brainwashed. When USSR fell and I started learning the truth about the world, I had a breakdown.

The "Two Minutes Hate" against America has done a beautiful job. Whenever I turn, I see people dissing Trump and his wife, who are hard-working people of so much higher caliber than forever-race-baiting Obama and "For the first time I am proud of my country" Michelle.

It is nauseating and frightening to see the totalitarian grip squeeze the country around me again. I find this not merely offensive, but downright tragic.

This time, I can feel it as it happens. And all of you ObamaJugend do not, because you're me circa 1991.

Trump is the only hope America has. Milo knows that Trump is actually the most gay-friendly President we'd have in a while, because Trump is interested in controlling and suppressing the kind of "folks" that go into a gay bar in Orlando and kill people.

If our border enforcement laws don't get actually enforced, Europe demonstrates the future of America. The unrecognizeable London. The terrorist-riddled France.

All of this was predictable, mind you. In Pew surveys, France had one of the highest percentages of Muslims who said that Violent Jihad is an acceptable form of protest against those who "offend Islam". A pretty vague qualifier, don't you think. France had about 35% of Muslim population admit to this, America had around 20%.

Pretty much everything Milo says, is mostly true. Truth delivered with the bluntness of a hammer which is meant to break through some people's "Democratic" stupor. Not to see "Republican" values. Both parties are corrupt to the core. But to see Libertarian/Conservative values.

Being a conservative in San Francisco, where I live, is almost dangerous. I know if I put a Trump sticker on my car, someone will vandalize it. The real hate speech (against Trump) is afoot. I've seen the looks people give when they hear me listening to conservative talk radio. Someone in my martial arts school, an innocuous looking nice woman, said "Surely I hope someone will assassinate Trump before he becomes President".

Truth has become illegal in many parts of the country. Political correctness has disabled the self-preservation instincts and common sense in millions of people, who feed on media-filtered soundbytes.

Isn't it amazing that Trump gets more hate in the media than any of the cop killers and gay-club-shooters combined?

Meanwhile, a man who sic'd the IRS, East-Germany-style, on conservatives, in order to win re-election, is making jokes on Jimmy Fallon?

The man who was going to let 40 Americans die in Benghazi because it would expose his hypocrisy with his recent statement about Al Qaeda being "on the run"? Anything for re-election.

The corrupt politician who evaded Freedom Of Information Act by storing top-secret Emails on a homemade server, the woman who erased 30000 Emails while turning in evidence, is getting less hate in the press than a hard-working businessman and his family.

Ain't that strange?

America has been taken for granted. But this young country is the beacon of light in the world. If Trump does not win, people like Milo will be suppressed for good, and forced to go underground. We will become just another totalitarian shithole, and the world will go dark forever.

News Comments > Diablo III Season 7 Details
2. Re: Diablo III Season 7 Details Jul 20, 2016, 04:22 shihonage

Cain's Life Matters  

News Comments > Dead Rising to Rise on PCs
11. Re: Dead Rising to Rise on PCs Jul 19, 2016, 19:08 shihonage

Let me guess. LOSEdows 10 exclusive.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 18, 2016, 12:56 shihonage

"The coolest US agency is starting a ‘revolution’ to get rid of computer viruses"

Hey idiots. This does not make DARPA "the coolest US agency", but rather a roundtable of grandpas with no idea how computers work. There are real ways to combat/prevent breaches, and this isn't one. This useless competition has an unpassable hurdle, which is true artificial intelligence equipotent to that of a human hacker. As result, whoever is the "winner", will just be pulling tricks out of their white hat to impress the old grandpas and win their silly competition, but their work will be just an illusion, unusable in the real world.
But I guess this makes for good PR for DERP-A.

News Comments > etc.
14. Re: etc. Jul 17, 2016, 22:00 shihonage

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 17, 2016, 20:12:
What? Someone without rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia telling it like it is and hitting the nail on the head bull's eye? :o

Well, I believe that "rose-tinted glasses" argument can also be abused. For example there are still people out there who think Fallout 3 is a good game and those of us who remember Fallout 1 being astronomically more competent in every respect, are wearing "rose-tinted glasses".

I simply remember things as they were. Baldur's Gate was a polished, extensive game. "Extensive" is a good overall word to describe it. "Uninspired", would be another.

Re DAO you quit too soon, dude. You are again 100% correct that the game has a shitty, boring start (as usual with BioWhore garbage) but it does get much better later on. The expansion and DLCs are also pretty good. I can't blame you for not sticking with it though because it's definitely boring as fuck the first few hours.

I'm sorry, but DA:O made me too depressed, and I spent like an hour on it. It made me existentially depressed. This is how it happens.

I start playing a game, and then realize that I don't give a shit about anything, because neither did the writers nor designers. They were just told to create some kind of narrative divided by battle sequences, and then I just feel like a mouse in yet another maze, just forced to waste my time on a slightly reskinned mechanical routine the likes of which I've experienced many times before.

I think it was Jet Li who said, even in a fighting film, you have to care about what's going on. You have to be able to root for the guy who's fighting, otherwise it's just flashy nonsense.

The signs of total decline were present strongly with DA:O. Too strongly. Whatever marginal incline happens "hours later", cannot possibly be of interest to me, because the same people were involved in creating it.

Tachikoma wrote on Jul 17, 2016, 13:06:
It`s a seemingly great deal on the surface, but just as the 2 first games, only there. Both DA:O and DS are symptomatic of the last decade`s AAA emptiness. The former was supposed to be a return to the Baldur`s roots and turned out to be a messy affair with minuses outweighing the pluses and more padding than a lunatic cell. And that Credit Card NPC: never forget.

Dead Space on the other hand: gorgeous to look at with great atmosphere and...laughably linear and constrained "gameplay". Benchmark for the upcoming decade.

Hello soulmate.

News Comments > etc.
11. Re: etc. Jul 17, 2016, 19:24 shihonage

I remember trying to play Dragon Age: Origins. Something about a satan who was pretending to be a mouse or something, and then the dream sequence ends and you walk thru a castle where all doors are locked except the one you need to go through in order to get some kind of paper to get a permission to go to a dungeon to kill spiders.

That SPELLED "excitement" for me, and I just couldn't wait to do more!

Oh wait. No. What I did actually was uninstall that dreadfulness.

By the way, I am old enough to remember Baldur's Gate being decline as well. Now that series is treated as something special, but really Bioware always produced uninspired mediocrity. Aged mediocrity that's less mediocre than contemporary mediocrity, is still mediocrity.

Dead Space is indeed the typical straitjacket AAA experience, however the second game was a real improvement over the first. DS1 had too much Doom3-style meniality to it, but DS2 was more inspired.

DS3 went back in the toilet because their main focus was microtransactions.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered Trailer
13. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered Trailer Jul 15, 2016, 06:22 shihonage

I, for one, welcome the sci-fi angle of Infinite Warfare. I skipped the last couple of CODs because they actually got worse at everything, but this one I will likely purchase from some shady site for a discount.  

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
13. Re: New GeForce Drivers Jul 15, 2016, 06:00 shihonage

Installed previous "new" driver today, found it defaults to "Optimal power", a new setting in addition to "Adaptive" and "High performance".

Then found posts about people complaining how ever since that setting was introduced, it fucks with their clock rates for no reason.

I also remember how the COD:Advanced Warfare "game-ready" driver made the game unplayable. Downgraded to previous version, fixed in-game stuttering and choppy cutscenes.

We are indeed eternal beta-testers. Never use even remotely new drivers.

10. Re: New GeForce Drivers Jul 15, 2016, 03:22 shihonage

I would like to see a new PowerVR card, or perhaps S3 Virge, or uhm, Matrox Mystique.

You know why Tomb Raider accelerated version actually ran at all on 2mb version of Mystique? It's because of me talking to the developer on alt.forgotitsnamebecauseitsbeen20yearsgoddamnit newsgroup.

7. Re: New GeForce Drivers Jul 14, 2016, 23:39 shihonage

Jivaro wrote on Jul 14, 2016, 23:36:
Good advice.

By the way..bought your game.

Thanks man

5. Re: New GeForce Drivers Jul 14, 2016, 23:29 shihonage

As per usual with NVidia drivers, a sane person waits for a month before upgrading, in order to check for reports of people's computers melting and exploding their houses.  

News Comments > DOOM Adds Vulkan Support
17. Re: DOOM Adds Vulkan Support Jul 12, 2016, 01:05 shihonage

Vulkan API. It is the logical choice.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
41. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 10, 2016, 23:43 shihonage

Win10 LTSB sounds interesting, but it still has the spyware active, looks like.  

News Comments > Splash Damage (and Digital Extremes) Sales
11. Re: Splash Damage (and Digital Extremes) Sales Jul 10, 2016, 03:05 shihonage

Quake Wars: Enemy Territory was a phenomenal game in every respect. Even an occasional cheater couldn't ruin the game for everyone, because of the amazing depth of the world and all the strategies you could use.

It looked great, it felt great, it sounded great, it had no bugs whatsoever, the netcode was stellar (esp. compared in retrospect to something like Tribes: Ass Scent).

I've had some truly amazing moments with that game - like when our team was clearly losing, and we had about 30 seconds until match ends, I used my Hail Mary approach, taking the ground vehicle and going on a zigzag hell ride down the side of the canyon, straight for the spaceship, jumping out of the burning vehicle, running into the ship, popping up shields, and then blowing it up.

I literally blew it up at the last second of the countdown, when my team felt all was lost, and the other team was getting snarky. Oh, that game. I even wrote a Quake Wars fanfic for an official competition once, and still have the T-shirt and dog tags they sent me as one of several winners.

Unfortunately Dirty Bomb is a bit of a mess. The basic gameplay is OK - it's "Quake Wars for toddlers". But they use random server ports, which means I can't play it at all, because I have to use traffic shaping on my home network. Super dumb decision.

And those fucking cards... jesus christ. The least intuitive interface I've ever seen. The simple goal of taking some guy and equipping him with what you want, has been inflated into a task more complex than filing a government petition in USSR.

26. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 10, 2016, 02:52 shihonage

My "DEHACKED for dummies" utility for DOS version of Doom2, circa 1996, is still archived out there on the Intertubes.  

19. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 9, 2016, 21:22 shihonage

Simon Says wrote on Jul 9, 2016, 21:04:
*Points to your router* You know... this thing which isn't subservient to your computer OS and can, OMG, BLOCK whatever it wants no matter what your OS does? Please... stop with the fearmongering. I had numerous problems with win 10, but none to do with its supposedly Orwellian tendencies. Those can be dealt with very easily, it just takes time and a bit of effort.

You are treating this as an OS issue, but it is the company issue. The internal policy on how to treat the user, has changed drastically, it is in the EULA you agreed to, and it will persist.

So, you're going to collect a block of IP addresses that Win10 contacts, and block them in your router? Great!

Then, one or more of the following things are going to happen. Maybe most won't, but at least one will.

* Win10 will start contacting some other addresses which were hardcoded all along, but with a pause, to make you feel like you got all the right ones blocked.

* At some point you will decide to re-enable Windows Update service in order to install an update you believe you actually need. That update will also alter the way Win10 sends your telemetry, and get around the block. Maybe it will also uninstall some "unauthorized" drivers and software, y'know, for your own safety, you big baby.

* At some point your Skype or another MS-dependent service or game will stop working entirely, because they will tie it to the spyware IP block.

Windows 10 has been known to revert people's settings already and mess with their software. It is a trojan horse that cannot be trusted. The obnoxious and patronizing attitude with which MS treats the user now, has been seen not only in Win10 itself, but in it installing the Win10 upgrade without user discretion.

As for you not experiencing problems with Win10 spyware... that's actually how spyware works. It's not there to "create problems" that you can see.

14. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 9, 2016, 20:23 shihonage

Win10 EULA explicitly lets Microsoft take your files at any time they want, for any reason. It also lets it mess with the software and drivers you installed, without your consent.

Also, third-party utils which claim to disable Win10 spyware, appear powerless to completely stop Win10 from sending random data to Microsoft.

That is all a rational person should know about Win10.

568 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo