Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for djinn

Real Name djinn   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname djinn
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 14, 2011, 23:07
Total Comments 244 (Novice)
User ID 56937

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
68. Re: Saturday Metaverse Aug 23, 2018, 10:50 djinn

Beamer wrote on Aug 23, 2018, 10:34:
But Twitter is the middle ground. Those that it kicked off went to Gab, who are, well, proving why they were kicked off. No "middle ground" people have been kicked off.

Though, if you're wondering why Twitter seems a bit left, perhaps it's because Twitter tends to be younger and more educated, and younger and more educated America tends to be left? Perhaps Twitter reflects the majority? At least, if you ignore the idiots on the very far side that get angry over anything, but there's typically 5 of them with 10 followers and no one pays attention until the idiots at TumblrInAction start amplifying it by doing the exact thing the Twitter idiots first thought was happening.

There's no chance twitter or any other organisation can moderate the amount of information their platforms output and so by definition an algorithm will have to deal with it. This type of automation will only serve to create more echo chambers, because it will automatically lead to promoting the most 'relevant' conversation. Just project this tech backward into some other time periods and think how it would be used or what ideas would float to the surface. It might not be a big issue yet, but I'm almost certain it will be in future.

One of the reasons why I still love Blues. Reddit voting system sometimes makes some good comments disappear under the weight of the mob. It's a sad end and I'm just trying to extrapolate a worst case scenario.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

66. Re: Saturday Metaverse Aug 23, 2018, 10:11 djinn

Beamer wrote on Aug 23, 2018, 08:56:
snip

I never used caps anywhere and your paraphrasing is completely off. Seems like you're projecting at this point.

Still haven't addressed your own faults I see.

65. Re: Saturday Metaverse Aug 23, 2018, 10:07 djinn

edit: @beamer

I agree with a lot of what you're saying here, so much of this is likely misunderstanding or poor communication on my part. I don't agree with your first bullet point though. I don't think there should be a distinction between less bias or more. All forms of bias in media are wrong and we need to start coming down hard on organisations that display it.

It's creeping into media everywhere. There's very little news presented without an angle and that's an issue for everyone. It's divisive and you can see the results. I'm suggesting if all media outlets dropped the bias and stuck to pure facts without any skew this whole situation would be better for all of us. This is what we should all be fighting for.

Look at gab.ai the supposed answer to twitter which is open and free, aside from the fact that they got threatened by MS if they didn't remove a couple of posts recently. Go there and you'll be treated to an array of anti Jew sentiment and other 'savory' topics. Sure, that's the price of being a free and open platform, but is that what we're left with? Either a left leaning twitterverse or gab.ai on the other extreme? Where's the middle ground these days in terms of discussion? Wait till things get truly decentralized. It's going to be a total mess, because there won't be anyone culpable at that point.

Jack says in the link above that they are left leaning, but don't use that in their algorithms. In the full interview which doesn't include the above snippet he makes some good points, but ultimately I don't think an algorithmic solution can work. It will just lead to mob rule. Whatever political viewpoint that's popular at the time will be the one that survives and this is immensely dangerous.

58. Re: Saturday Metaverse Aug 23, 2018, 08:36 djinn

Beamer wrote on Aug 23, 2018, 07:23:
I read nothing wrong. You've been arguing about the numbers while claiming to be arguing about bias.

It's odd, and kind of weasely. "Why did the media say the numbers were greater?!" Well, because they were. "Yeah, but why did they say that?" Because it was factually accurate? "No it wasn't!" It was. "Ok, but that's because protestors blocked the entrances, and no one showed it."

Yes, no one, not even Fox News. You'd think, had this been an issue, Fox would have been all about it. Your proof that it occurred is a poorly shot video of one entrance. Even if one entrance was blocked, there were dozens, as evidenced by all the people walking by past the gate. And there were cops. Were cops in on this, too?

The only reason you'd think it's weasely is because you can't put me into a little left or right box that you seem to be eager to do. My stance has been consistent the whole way, so let me simplify it for you.

• Media is biased. There's no question, regardless of the flawed example used. I admitted using a flawed example and if that makes one a "weasel" so be it.

• Numbers are not a metric of a good leader, so the argument from both sides is pathetic to say the least.

• Media placed a lot of emphasis on this and they used the lack of numbers as an example to discredit where Trump was trying to use it for credibility.

• In looking into the video posted by NKD I found another part to the story.

• I notice you conveniently left out any explanation of misreading the tldr. "both left and right media are terribly biased", which you replied with "they double down with "but actually, the Left is the one that's misinforming!" It's really not hard to say "yea you're right I did do that". Try it some time.

56. Re: Saturday Metaverse Aug 23, 2018, 06:58 djinn

Sepharo wrote on Aug 22, 2018, 14:49:
    I think you'd be a lot less misled if you cut down on the amount of "evidence" you get from youtube videos.

Well some of those videos are pure documentation but I can see you didn't really look at any of the information posted. Like this for example Not to mention it was investigating NKD's video that showed the initial error, so should we discard that also?

The vid Cthulufan posted was a guy who'd referenced a story which still turned out to contain errors even after checking sources. Nothing exactly ignorant in referencing information like this.

A few people in this discussion have exhibited ignorance though, including myself. Beamer for example misread a tldr and other points even though the information is there.

Point is, we're all guilty sometimes. The important part is to admit it and keep looking for truth. I got no problem in doing that.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 2018, 07:19.

55. Re: Saturday Metaverse Aug 23, 2018, 06:35 djinn

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 22, 2018, 09:45:
    djinn wrote on Aug 22, 2018, 06:42:
    ...someone who'd won the vote
    President Hillary Rodham Clinton won the vote.

President Hillary Rodham Clinton 65,853,516 48%
    dRumpf 62,984,825 46%

Except that's how the system works so people blocking entrances with signs saying "illegitimate" are ignorant of their own system.

49. Re: Saturday Metaverse Aug 22, 2018, 06:42 djinn

Sepharo wrote on Aug 21, 2018, 14:28:
    Why did you make a mile long post about peculiarities in ground photos when there are aerial photos, both taken from peak attendance, that clearly show the difference?

It was stepping through the process of how I didn't trust the original comparison and how I found out another part to the story.

The main overall point I was stuck on was not being able to reconcile how someone who'd won the vote had a ridiculously low turnout which caused my initial doubt of that image. There had to be more to the story. The videos showing protestors blocking people forcefully from entering was something I didn't actually hear about until now. It shows how little attention the media placed on that part of the story.

It shines a light on both parties and what their motivations are. A high turnout according to Trump would mean he is a popular leader. A low turnout according to the media would mean he is a hated one. In some strange way the conclusions are true and untrue for both parties, that's how divided the "United" States has become. I just find the whole situation really dirty on both sides.

Cthulufans video below was quite a good watch in that regard (unrelated to this particular example) but still quite honest and well presented.

47. Re: Saturday Metaverse Aug 21, 2018, 08:44 djinn

Beamer wrote on Aug 21, 2018, 08:18:
    I mean, you know even the White House admitted there were fewer people there in person over a year ago. You were here fighting a fight even Trump himself conceded. But you say you're usually well informed.

For some reason, it seems like the pro-Trump people here are usually the opposite of that. That, or they think being "informed" is watching YouTube videos from individuals and thinking that's how to be reliably informed. Actually, kind of wagering that's you. But that's two big pro-Trump posters in two days admitting that they don't know what they're talking about and, rather than saying "hey, wonder if there's anything else I'm ill-informed about that I have very strong opinions on," they double down with "but actually, the Left is the one that's misinforming!"

Quite clear you only read the tldr as you're making some fairly ignorant assumptions of your own. I said numerous times I was not arguing the numbers were larger, as that was not the point of the discussion. It was about bias in media. Try and find a single instance of where I have said I am pro Trump.

edit - From the tldr: "both left and right media are terribly biased", which you replied with "they double down with "but actually, the Left is the one that's misinforming!"

45. Re: Saturday Metaverse Aug 21, 2018, 07:30 djinn

NKD wrote on Aug 19, 2018, 12:19:
    If they are using an image of peak attendance, it's very hard to accuse them of any bias in image choice.

tldr; I was wrong the video and ccn image were right. It doesn't change the fact that both left and right media are terribly biased, it just highlights that I need to research more and choose words more wisely. Normally Iím obsessive about both of those things but failed here with a poor example.This image pretty much sums up my thoughts on the numbers competition overall.

Looking at the vid I noticed the cross fade at 46 seconds and wondered why they edited there. Nothing nefarious as crowd size and layout doesn't change much before and after the edit. It lead me to discover a little bit more about what happened on the day.

Since he won by a very narrow margin it seemed strange why there'd be such a difference in crowd size. I mean the argument from both his side and the medias is nothing more than a 'measuring' contest anyway and by no means the measure of a good leader (Nuremberg rally comes to mind), but I wanted to find out why the disparity.

First thing I noticed in the video is that people continued to stream in right up to the point before the speech ended. I checked the earthsat gigapixel which shows Trump on the stage and then shows a super low crowd size in the direction of the monument. Zoom in and compare that with either the cnn gigapixel which is a higher elevation than earthcam, or this one.

Why are the images so different? Also why are there crowds of people on the streets both left and right side of this image, but not at Obamaís? The only conclusion is that large movements of people must have happened in a very short period of time, since his speech was only 17 minutes long.

As I looked around I kept running into stories saying there were security checkpoints which lead to very slow processing times and some of the entrances were blocked by protestors. Had to take that with a grain of salt until I found some evidence that might be happening. If people had to do what the guy at 13 minutes had to do, itís no wonder the crowds looked thin. At 13:30 to 15 minutes you can see what the photographer was dealing with in terms of directions by police. This would also explain why crowds of people were around the Washington monument Hereís another example of redirection leading to no shows or late arrivals. There are many others.

Anyway at the risk of making this post 14 pages long I think the end point is the same. Media made attendance the focus, rather than the obstruction or general disorganization with security checkpoints slowing entry. Trump arguing that the numbers were larger when he already secured the position was also either dishonest or ignorant since what he saw is skewed by the lower angle he saw the crowds from.

Ps. The only image I can say that is not to be trusted is the earthsat gigapixel. It looks like a stitch from different times, though I have to wonder how as lighting conditions are roughly uniform and the sky seems to be the same moment in time. Check this 360 video. Trumps speech starts at the 44 second mark. If you pan a little right and look at the section near where disabled people are lined up you will see a seated section thatís filled the entire time. Looking at the earthsat image of the same section, itís almost empty. Now rotate the camera toward the monument on the earthsat pic and keep cnns gigapixel on another tab or monitor. The crowd in the main area doesnít look at all interested in whatís happening onstage and there are very large gaps throughout here, plus changes like fencing layout etc. I can only assume that the earthsat must contain images from various time periods and cannot be a single moment in time. Many other discrepancies between the 2.

35. Re: Saturday Metaverse Aug 19, 2018, 09:03 djinn

Red886 wrote on Aug 19, 2018, 08:55:
    "fake news" is more about selective reporting, nip-picking facts, deliberate omissions, bias in choice of narrative, lack of critical analysis, mixing of editorials with fact-based news, deliberate misuse of context or the lack of it, and even the choice made to run which news at which hour.

it was not about news where fake numbers or events are made up.

Too many are caught in echo chambers of their own making and are no longer interested in truth - only whatever group think bandwagon makes them feel good. Rationality will only return when people can identify when a lie is a lie, and call it out. Even if it satisfies their bias.

32. Re: Saturday Metaverse Aug 19, 2018, 08:47 djinn

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 19, 2018, 08:32:
    snip

This isn't about whether you believe Trump saying the crowds were the biggest ever. That wasn't my point. If you look with your own eyes, like the Slate article suggests, you will see for yourself the obvious misleading image cnn chose to present the lie. The only reason people don't see it is pure confirmation bias.

No, I don't worship Trump.

[edit] Also, that Slate article is full of emotional hooks and reads more like a teenagers blog. Nowhere near close to being considered professional reporting.

30. Re: Saturday Metaverse Aug 19, 2018, 08:22 djinn

Saboth wrote on Aug 19, 2018, 06:56:
    Trump and his tribe keep saying this, but when pressed over what exact news stories are fake, not a single one has managed to provide evidence of it. They seem to be operating on the "keep telling a lie enough times and people will believe it" assumption. If all of their news is fake, or even 10%, it should be easy to prove, but none have done so.

https://tinyurl.com/y77qxt9t

Then on their own site the gigapixel taken at the actual event time, not setup. Compare them side by side.

https://tinyurl.com/zuhfxep

Even the video comparison lower down the page is vastly different to the side by side at the top of the story, but still not taken at the same time as the gigapixel image.

I think many people are just getting tired of the obvious bias in general. That includes Fox.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
    15. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Aug 7, 2018, 06:11 djinn

If he is charged with defamation in regard to the Sandy Hook incident i.e. saying the victims parents were 'actors' or any other example that could be deemed such, then good. I'm all for upholding the law. So far all major platforms have acted within 12 hours under 'community guidelines' though, not under a libel or defamation lawsuit.

Need to be careful silencing everyone whose opinion you don't agree with or at the very least handing over that power to major corporations. The problem with these sorts of torch and pitchfork parades is that some day in the future the political winds might turn against what you believe or hold dear. Be careful.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
    13. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 17, 2018, 10:13 djinn

"You know what, I'll admit I don't know jack about what is in the TPP."

"But to think it was a "horrific agreement" means you think either the US negotiators were incompetent or traitors."

Admitting you know nothing about it, yet have strong talking points for it means you're responding emotionally, not rationally.

"He was articulate, intelligent, and charming."

Which automatically means he is good right?

I could go on, but it's clear your emotional response wont make the discussion any more valuable to continue. eg. Automatically assuming knowledge, political affiliation or who a person listens to or reads (you were wrong on all points by the way).

Always be aware of you're own emotional reactions, as in the end they'll only weaken your argument.

11. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 16, 2018, 23:59 djinn

TPP was a trojan horse on sovereign government. It was a horrific agreement where any positives were nullified overwhelmingly by its negatives.

My point is Obama isn't the second coming people thought he was and Trump is far from the Hitler many people claim him to be.

7. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 16, 2018, 09:44 djinn

ventry wrote on Feb 15, 2018, 20:29:
    So, is this "impeachment" following the same timeline as those nukes I am to be expecting??

Keep crying it's amusing.

Always thought that was amusing. As if there was a big red button for nukes on the presidents table and these people imagining he'd stroll right in and press it nonchalantly.

Many complain about Trump but yet ignore some of the worst from Obama eg. endorsing the TPP which Trump withdrew from. Unfortunately the hive mind takes over and ends up causing some people to ignore truth.

This comment was edited on Feb 16, 2018, 10:43.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
    27. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 30, 2017, 10:58 djinn

I know it's an emotional story, but you're starting to sound like the Jugend of old.

"The internet should be managed (come on NSA, PRISM etc)"
    "if you become too toxic, you're banned"
    "I just think that with AI getting better and better, and with teh NSA's existant extensive spying apparatus, it's not impossible to monitor someone from going online."
    " if it was required to log in with your secure credentials to identify you then overnight so much shit would be dealt with"
    "The troll movement is responsible for Trump"
    "and possibly WW3"

You've slicked yourself this time. Mop up. Or something like that.

News Comments > Destiny 2 PC Keeping Controller Aim Assist
    24. Re: Destiny 2 PC Keeping Controller Aim Assist Oct 25, 2017, 05:46 djinn

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 24, 2017, 17:06:
    djinn wrote on Oct 24, 2017, 11:24:
    The Half Elf wrote on Oct 24, 2017, 11:14:
    You mean like how GTA 4 and 5 have it on PC and somehow everything is still ok in the universe?

Gta5 had aim assist with mouse/keyboard?

No and neither does this.

Yea it was rhetorical.

News Comments > Destiny 2 PC Keeping Controller Aim Assist
    8. Re: Destiny 2 PC Keeping Controller Aim Assist Oct 24, 2017, 11:24 djinn

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 24, 2017, 11:14:
    You mean like how GTA 4 and 5 have it on PC and somehow everything is still ok in the universe?

Gta5 had aim assist with mouse/keyboard?

News Comments > Uncut Half-Life in Germany
    26. Re: Uncut Half-Life in Germany Apr 29, 2017, 06:52 djinn

Prez wrote on Apr 28, 2017, 21:06:
    While I thought Unreal was amazing, it still felt like a game, albeit an engrossing one. Half-Life though - with the incredible cohesiveness of the narrative experienced through the gripping gameplay felt like an adventure. A wonderful experience. I couldn't really tell you anything about Unreal other than it was amazing-looking (at the time obviously) and tons of fun. But I can remember almost every detail of Black Mesa, the genius encounters, and Xen to this day.

Was exactly the opposite for me personally, not to diminish the genius of hl. hl was more a movie like experience, whereas unreal was more of a world.

Personal taste though. Linear vs open seem to be where those trajectories went.

244 Comments. 13 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo