Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for <Electric-Spock>

Real Name <Electric-Spock>   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 16, 2011, 22:27
Total Comments 61 (Suspect)
User ID 56801

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

News Comments > Revive Battlefield 2142
12. Re: Revive Battlefield 2142 Sep 27, 2016, 00:48 <Electric-Spock>

sauron wrote on Sep 26, 2016, 16:04:
Apparently this includes the full game - can anyone confirm?

They also have BF2 listed as included - does the download include that as well?

Thanks for any info.

Separate downloads, I'm not sure about 2142 but I believe BF2 is the whole game, expansions and all.

You can also still play the Project Reality mod for BF2. They did the same thing once Gamespy was unplugged.

There is also a current early access game called SQUAD, which has former devs from the project reality mod and they are making something similar on the new Unreal engine.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Maps and Modes Detailed
10. Re: Battlefield 1 Maps and Modes Detailed Sep 21, 2016, 00:30 <Electric-Spock>

Slick wrote on Sep 20, 2016, 22:36:
thecakeisalie wrote on Sep 20, 2016, 22:24:
RaZ0r! wrote on Sep 20, 2016, 20:34:
Nothing has matched Rush in Bad Company 2 to date for me. BF3 and BF4 both had it but it just wasn't the same and I'm not really sure why.

Bad Company 2 was, by far, my favorite Battlefield. You earned everything. There was no "I'm too lazy to just play the game" cash shop and no obnoxious "Season Pass" bullshit. I couldn't get into BF3 and I gave BF4 a miss completely.

Loving something like a grown up requires recognizing what was good and bad about them. No prone-ing, no strafing while sprinting, servers capped at 32 players, there was a lot that the Bad Company series left to be desired if you're being honest.

And furthermore, do you actually know a single human being who's actually purchased a weapons upgrade pack? I don't. And If I did I wouldn't hate them for it, just feel bad for them that they obviously don't have enough time to enjoy unlocking things as per normal. Either way, it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game one bit.

And BC2 kinda sucked because it only had one DLC, it was a GREAT one however, but only 4 maps. I had a lot of love for BC2, and would have wished that they'd support it with additional content. After BC2 Vietnam got stale, there was a void in my FPS playtime that wasn't really being filled with anything.

Supporting a game with extra content isn't a bad thing, I know this is a crazy notion. It's giving the people who love the game more stuff to love. And if you don't love the game, then you're not missing out. How is there still a discussion about this? People act like the 3-4 times that console games included DLC on the vanilla game-disc is the norm, and that any additional maps were just "cut" from the vanilla game. It's a strawman argument. Expansion packs have been around for literally decades.

Loving something like a grown up? Ease up Dr. Phil...

Many of us grown ups here grew up with the battlefield series. However, there are plenty of gamers out there that feel battlefield didn't grow up with them and they site BC2 as the last official offering.

BC and BC2 helped the frostbite engine enter the game. I would imagine hardware and their engine optimizations at the time would have made it more difficult to do a full blown large scale BF, so they made a small and tight game. What they did right is focus on gameplay and they nailed it, it was fun. This was the last game where DICE pretty much had full control of their game.

Next, EA has fully bought out DICE and controls the next development cycle. Since then, many of us feel the series has taken too much of a casual approach.

A solution for this would be mod tools. How about BF 2 mechanics, with maps being 2-3 times larger in scale and 100 people? How about a Project Reality HD remake? So much potential with the Frostbite engine, so little explored.

Mod tools would ensure every man and child had their respective gaming needs met.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Free DLC
19. Re: Battlefield 4 Free DLC Sep 15, 2016, 22:18 <Electric-Spock>

jdreyer wrote on Sep 15, 2016, 04:10:
<Electric-Spock> wrote on Sep 14, 2016, 22:20:
Oddly enough, all the BF1 beta did for me was to remind myself that I own BF4. And while I won't know until release, after playing BF4 a few times over the last week, I have a feeling BF4 will probably be the better game and will satisfy my battlefield playstyle needs when in the mood.

Also shortly into the beta, I was reminded of how awesome it would be to have mod tools for the community. It seems like so much could be done with the Frostbite engine and there is so much wasted potential.

I would love to see a more PC oriented battlefield. Nothing really grabbed me with the BF1 beta, gameplay wise, it felt rather casual.

ArmA 3 too much for ya?

ArmA 3's unoptimized game engine is too much for me. None of the mods did much for me either. I played wasteland and king of the hill quite a bit but yeah...

Which brings me back to the Frostbite engine. I'd be curious to see if they could do something the scale of ArmA. Hell, not even that large. How about BF2 game mechanics and maps about 2-3 times as large and scale as they were, and about 100 people.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Free DLC
8. Re: Battlefield 4 Free DLC Sep 14, 2016, 22:20 <Electric-Spock>

Oddly enough, all the BF1 beta did for me was to remind myself that I own BF4. And while I won't know until release, after playing BF4 a few times over the last week, I have a feeling BF4 will probably be the better game and will satisfy my battlefield playstyle needs when in the mood.

Also shortly into the beta, I was reminded of how awesome it would be to have mod tools for the community. It seems like so much could be done with the Frostbite engine and there is so much wasted potential.

I would love to see a more PC oriented battlefield. Nothing really grabbed me with the BF1 beta, gameplay wise, it felt rather casual.

News Comments > DOOM @ 200 FPS Under Vulkan
39. Re: Doom, verticality May 9, 2016, 16:56 <Electric-Spock>

For an FPS, the M+K is far superior, just as for a fighting game like Tekken or Street Fighter, the controller is better, and even mo better is an arcade stick.

When designing a game to be playable using the inferior input device, the overall quality suffers. This is especially true in the FPS department with developers dumbing down their games for the consoles.

I pretty much only play MP FPS games on PC, and the popularity of console FPS gaming has really put a damper on things. Lately, I really only get excited about PC only releases, which are few and far between. Watching that Battlefield One trailer and seeing the XBOX One logo at the end just lets me know they are not making a game I want to play, but something I might want to play if it's not dumbed down too much.

News Comments > Battlefield Teaser Trailer; Announcement Tomorrow
12. Re: Battlefield Teaser Trailer; Announcement Tomorrow May 5, 2016, 20:58 <Electric-Spock>

I believe the guy in the trailer is just a random dude at EA headquarters on his knees begging for less console drivel and mod support for the PC.

Of course he is just about to catch a bitch slap from the current EA CEO, who's name is Cash DLC McDiamonds, I believe.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
7. Re: Morning Interviews May 3, 2016, 16:15 <Electric-Spock>

"Space is like a deep black ocean," Infinite Warfare narrative director Taylor Kurosaki said...

and their MP maps will be small sprinkle puddles filled with console larva hopefully feeding just long enough to get a no skill kill streak perk and become king of the shot glass...

News Comments > DICE Starting "The Next Battlefield"
42. Re: DICE Starting Dec 13, 2015, 23:20 <Electric-Spock>

Slick wrote on Dec 13, 2015, 21:29:
<Electric-Spock> wrote on Dec 13, 2015, 20:52:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 13, 2015, 16:25:
The Half Elf wrote on Dec 13, 2015, 16:03:
PLEASE be 2143.

It would be cool if it was, but I'm just so soured on what this franchise has become after BF2.

I thought BC2 was pretty solid, but I agree, once EA fully bought out DICE, downhill for sure.

Also, if they want to get into the competitive community, they better keep focusing on the netcode. Only with the latest patch with them upping the tickrate server option(60HZ),and whatever algorithm tweaks they've been working on for hit detection is it starting to feel decent.

If the underlying core foundation is broken for an FPS, I don't see much Esport stuff around BF.

BF used to have a very active competition community, it actually predated the term "e-sport".

and I played those old BF games, I competed in them. and trust me they were way more broken than the current iterations. Anyone who still has the rose-tinted glasses should look at some BF2 footage. That game was positively broken. just a few highlights:

-the RNG cone-of-fire weapons
-the insta-prone
-not being able to sprint and strafe
-view distance of 150m
-questionable ballistics model
-spawn camping airfields, and spawn camping in general (always makes me lul when i get called a spawn camper blowing up a tank in BF3/BF4 which had just exited it's uncap's insta-death zone for me)
-getting stuck on everything
-hilarious low tic rate

compared to the advances of the later battlefield are no small feat

-arguably best looking/optimized engine on the planet
-dynamic water mesh
-dynamic lighting
-dynamic weather
-ridiculously good looking hybrid animations (keyframe+ragdoll)
-guns that feel very solid, accurate, and effective at range
-max viewdistance is now the whole map and beyond, 10km at least
-pro tic-rates (better late than never, but there are 144hz tic servers in the wild right now)
-battlelog (some claim as a contentious issue, but I welcome the ability to browse servers, manage a 100 person friendlist, in HTML)
-vehicles with weight, with punch

I'd love for someone to offer some evidence for the downfall of the series since BF2, when every DICE game I've played has gotten progressively better since. please, show me some fact-based evidence, and I'll eat my foot.

Please remove EA goggles before reading...

- No actual dedicated server support. Yes you can rent horsepower from companies who rent their resources from bigger companies, but yeah....

- No mod support. That alone about trumps all these great new improvements. The community will make the game better, and give it more longevity.

- Nerfed Gameplay. Auto regen on health for infantry and vehicles. Get shot and evade for a few seconds for full health. You don't loose remaining ammo in magazine after reload and vehicles have infinate ammo. You can't go into an enemy's base and they removed blowing up commander assets. They got so lazy they removed airfields and you just spawn flying jets in many maps. This list could go on and on...

- The scale of the maps. Too much shit going on in too small of an area. I called you on it recently. I stated it would take longer to swim from BF2's Dragon Valley American Aircraft Carrier to the closest flag then it would to swim from base to base on BF 4's Lancang Dam. Then you started going off on how that's a small map, and BF3 has the largest map ever, and epic veiw distances. Then you stated it would take 20 mins to run from base to base on B4's Firestorm map. There was no response to this fact in my reply, but I loaded it up, and you can sprint across the map in under 3 mins and walk it in under 5. anywho...

- Netcode. Yes the older games had some wonky stuff going on, but it was more consitent. Check the youtubes on the latest games regarding netcode. It wasn't until recently they started addressing this when the community kept responding with 'fix the netcode' on their forums everytime they pushed an update or released DLC. It's better as of the last patch, but shouldn't this be the first and most important aspect of an FPS? Esport ready?

- Whoring the game out. Low content DLC's... Premium pay in advance... Origin selling seperate loadout packs for individual classes and vehicles. Remember the Special Forces DLC from BF2? That could have been a game on it's own. It had new maps, factions, vehicles, zip lines, grapping hooks...

Obviously, as with all games, the graphics improve. But gameplay, and alot of other aspects have suffered.

-

News Comments > DICE Starting "The Next Battlefield"
36. Re: DICE Starting Dec 13, 2015, 20:52 <Electric-Spock>

jdreyer wrote on Dec 13, 2015, 16:25:
The Half Elf wrote on Dec 13, 2015, 16:03:
PLEASE be 2143.

It would be cool if it was, but I'm just so soured on what this franchise has become after BF2.

I thought BC2 was pretty solid, but I agree, once EA fully bought out DICE, downhill for sure.

Also, if they want to get into the competitive community, they better keep focusing on the netcode. Only with the latest patch with them upping the tickrate server option(60HZ),and whatever algorithm tweaks they've been working on for hit detection is it starting to feel decent.

If the underlying core foundation is broken for an FPS, I don't see much Esport stuff around BF.

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: R6 bullshit Dec 2, 2015, 00:15 <Electric-Spock>

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 1, 2015, 20:52:
Hilarious stuff in that R6 blurb like...

…Study up on the Operators. Try all of them. There may be some you’re a secret badass with, but wouldn’t necessarily go to because they don’t seem like your style.

^ Yup. Great idea... in theory, UbiSoft. In practice, however, even your fucking retarded SINGLE PLAYER terrorist hunt mode forces this 15 seconds timer on your ass!
How are you supposed to "study up" on the operators and all the possible gear in 15 fucking seconds? You can't! In fucking SINGLE PLAYER!
I can fully understand a timer for multiplayer (but make it 30s maybe?) so people don't camp the selection screen instead of playing the game but what the fuck is that timer for in SINGLE PLAYER? Were you too fucking lazy to remove it, UbiShit? Seriously? Goddammit!

lol

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront 40-Player Battle Shown
40. Re: Star Wars Battlefront 40 Player Battle Shown Dec 1, 2015, 23:35 <Electric-Spock>

sdgundamx wrote on Dec 1, 2015, 20:24:
I dunno... I enjoy the game on the PS4. It scratches a certain itch for me, especially after playing a much more refined shooter like Destiny: TTK for like the past month and a half.

I don't get the complaints about it not being the next Battlefield though... I mean, the goal of any game company--particularly EA--is to make money. How could they possibly take that franchise and market it only to the niche hardcore shooter crowd?

It's pretty obvious why they chose the arcadey feel--they're hoping people who don't normally play FPS will pick this up and give it a go and be able to have fun. They didn't want new players to be constantly getting pub-stomped by some clan of 13-year olds. And it's not like this should be surprising--the devs have been publicly saying for months the kind of experience they were going for and the beta gave everyone a pretty good idea of what the final game would be like. People who bought it after all that and expected some kind of high skill ceiling FPS game are idiots IMO.

In terms of the Star Wars experience, the game delivers. I've had tons of "cinematic" moments in the game, like last night when I strode into a rebel-controlled bunker on Endor as Darth Vader, killed two rebels by deflecting their shots back at them and then mowed down four more with a single saber throw. Force-choked a guy who was late to the party, then strode out of the other side of the bunker with 5 or 6 stormtroopers at my back and waded into another group of rebels.

There are definitely some wonky bugs that detract from the experience though (spawning in the middle of enemies or spawning in the middle of nowhere, the invincibility bug that pops up occasionally, etc.). But I don't get the hate for the game. I'd give it a 7/10 (possibly 8/10 once they push out more maps and fix the bugs). It's not GOTY or anything but it is entertaining enough that I'll get my money's worth out of it (got it on sale for around $50 after tax).

The hate for the game is coming from seasoned gamers who expect more content and developer effort for their money. A side by side movie/Christmas release marketed towards children as gifts on consoles does not impress.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2015, 20:47 <Electric-Spock>

Hopefully the saying better late than never still holds up.

Happy Yesterday B-Day Blue!!!

News Comments > Squad Early Access Next Month
10. Re: Squad Early Access Next Month Nov 21, 2015, 23:28 <Electric-Spock>

I've been keeping an eye on this game for a bit and I'm pretty excited about it. It's about the only upcoming FPS that is perking my interest, and one of the main reasons is that it's a PC game. No console hand holding considerations needed in development. Thank God.

I'm hoping it bridges the gap between BF3\BF4 and the ARMA series. ARMA could be argued as too large and the engine just isn't optimized for todays hardware. Battlefield 3\4 doesn't feel scaled properly to me. Too many vehicles and gadgets in too small of an area.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Released
58. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Released Nov 17, 2015, 19:57 <Electric-Spock>

Slick wrote on Nov 17, 2015, 16:50:
Creston wrote on Nov 17, 2015, 12:31:
Verno wrote on Nov 17, 2015, 09:43:
Reviews are being pretty brutal about the lack of content and I found the beta entertaining but only in small doses. Pass.

Yeah I'm not paying $60 for that. I mean it looks great, but so few maps...

there's 10 maps (8 now, 2 more in 2 weeks) which is exactly what DICE have been putting out for more than a decade.

the only difference is that not all maps have all modes.

there's pros and cons for this, basically it halves the number of maps per mode, which yes, sucks. But at the same time, the close-quarters maps are actually built for that game mode, and that game mode alone.

I'm sure we've all been in a battlefield TDM server which is just a bunch of shipping containers in a yard in an otherwise gigantic map because they had to tack on every game mode to every map. I can handle maps made for modes. I really can.

These are by far the most gorgeous, and best designed maps I've ever seen from DICE.

One day, when you remove the EA goggles, you will unlearn what you have learned...

Gorgeous? Sure. Best designed maps ever? Probably need more evaluation time for that, no? I played the beta and didn't find either of those maps exactly mind blowing. That map for the pod secure mode or whatever, was definitely nothing to get that excited about.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Released
34. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Released Nov 17, 2015, 13:48 <Electric-Spock>

Whiskers wrote on Nov 17, 2015, 09:37:
It's really a shame DICE locks down their engine from modding. Imagine all of the amazing Battlefield 2 mods that could have been made for Battlefield 4.

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.

The community would have made it a better game.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Free DLC Plans
16. Re: Battlefield 4 Free DLC Plans Nov 14, 2015, 03:47 <Electric-Spock>

Slick wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 07:37:
Suppa7 wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 02:42:
Slick wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 01:44:
"actual big maps" lol.

such rose-tinted nostalgia glasses, the article itself said explicitly how small a view distance there was in BF2 (and it was small, so very very small, like 150m). The point is that it "felt" bigger. When you have a 4KM view distance, nothing really changes with the skyline when you move around.

Size is relative, you'd actually have to sit down and do metric conversions of the time and distance travelled between games. It's quite possible for the maps to be larger in terms of space/travel time despite having 'lower distance'. AKA the relative distances are all that matter. So its quite possible if you blew up or scaled down he co-ordinate space (depending on which is bigger or smaller) you'd find out all sorts of interesting things.

this is true, you can't do an apples-to-apples comparison, but it does paint a picture. The move speed is the main factor, as most other assets are scaled relative to the player height (most games do this from what i'm told, player height is the first unit of measurement against everything else in the map).

that being said, you can use the (already metric =p) meter distance indicators on your hud, 400m to that flag etc. This correlates with the earlier games, assuming that a meter is still a meter. which is again probably measured against the height (and speed) of a player.

BF3 has had the biggest map in BF history so far, and it's freaking huuuuuge. but you can still easily still see the landforms on the opposing side of the map. hence my point that the most obvious factor in play here is the view distance. when the whole world bubble around your character can fit 10 times in the legnth of a map end to end, it "feels" bigger than if your world bubble already extends to either side of the map.

start walking from one uncap to the other in operation firestorm (bf3 and bf4) and it'll take you 20 minutes. and that map isn't the biggest of the big maps. and jesus goddamn, the music in that trailer... gives me tingles.

nope...

I'll remove my rose tint nostalgia shades once you remove your EA noob goggles...

I just loaded up firestorm. You can sprint from base to base in 2 min 45 sec. You can walk there in just under 5 minutes...

20 minutes? I didn't try to crawl, but that might be more accurate.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Free DLC Plans
3. Re: Battlefield 4 Free DLC Plans Nov 12, 2015, 22:10 <Electric-Spock>

It's hard to tell from the trailer, but I wonder if the map will be scaled properly. They cut a big chunk out of the map with the Karkand remake on BF 3.

Hearing that intro music from BF2 in this video reminds me of a time before all the console consideration garbage. Actual big maps. As an example: You can swim from your base to the opposing team's base in BF4's Lanceng Dam faster than you could jump off of the American Aircraft Carrier and swim to the nearest oil refinery flag in BF2's Dragon valley. That's Pathetic.

News Comments > Overwatch Trailer
11. Re: Overwatch Trailer May 22, 2015, 21:32 <Electric-Spock>

I hope this is a good game, as the FPS's have been quite stale as of late, but from the last 2 trailers, the gameplay seems a bit boring. I don't want to judge something I know practically nothing about, but it looks like it would get boring shooting arrows over and over. No secondary weapon? How about a close range dagger, maybe some grenades or evasive ninja puffs of smoke? Jump kicks, Karate chops, Fatality's from behind?

Ohhhh and F2P... *fart noise*

News Comments > Star Wars: Battlefront to Support Dolby Atmos
14. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront to Support Dolby Atmos May 6, 2015, 15:55 <Electric-Spock>

waste of time... fix the netcode...  

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Trailer
5. Re: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Trailer May 4, 2015, 22:01 <Electric-Spock>

It would be nice to see them throw in a retro multiplayer mode. Maybe give it a sort of quake 2 feel like the q2dm maps. It doesn't seem like it would take much effort with the engine and art assets already there and ready to go. Of course a proper team based Return to Castle Wolf would be even better but, I just don't understand the love lost from prior iD games with the focus of multiplayer and why they don't even attempt it anymore. It's been too long, throw us veteran PC gamers a bone!  

61 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo