Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tessier Ashpoole

Real Name Tessier Ashpoole   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Primalchrome
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2011, 18:32
Total Comments 456 (Amateur)
User ID 56308

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

News Comments > Xenonauts 1.0 Out; Official Launch This Month
10. Re: Xenonauts 1.0 Out; Official Launch This Month Jun 3, 2014, 13:01 Primalchrome

I'm hearing 12 hours of gameplay.....anyone have any real experience with that number?  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Xenonauts 1.0 Out; Official Launch This Month
4. Re: Xenonauts 1.0 Out; Official Launch This Month Jun 3, 2014, 11:50 Primalchrome

I've been waiting on Xenonauts for years....but I'm going to hold off pulling the trigger.  

News Comments > Tropico 5 Preorders Soar
4. Re: Tropico 5 Preorders Soar May 21, 2014, 10:09 Primalchrome

I've wanted to try Tropico for years, but have never pulled the trigger. Maybe this will be the version I give a test drive.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
36. Re: Steam Top 10 May 19, 2014, 00:04 Primalchrome

My kids and the kids of a number of other parents I know still play Minecraft from time to time. Sometime they play creative....sometimes they play survival....sometimes they play arenas online...sometimes they play "Hunger Games" mod....sometimes they jump on their friends hosted servers to goof around and play together. There is a significant playerbase regardless of your distaste for the mode of play and the weak numbers being bandied about in this thread.

Everyone adult gamer that I know that bought Minecraft and dropped it after 30 mins lacked creative drive for the most part. Minecraft at release was less a game and more of a sandbox. In it's current iteration, there is a game involved...but it is still heavily entrenched in the players imagination and ability to create. None of this is a negative...just a difference in approach and perception. All that said, even creative adults are going to have a hard time keeping enough interest to break 40 hours of game time....especially with the 3rd generation sandboxes to be found in the market today. EQLandmark anyone?

News Comments > Free Unreal Tournament Plans
32. Re: Free Unreal Tournament Plans May 8, 2014, 17:46 Primalchrome

ViRGE wrote on May 8, 2014, 17:35:
F2P and the junk marketplace all but ruined TF2. So I believe there's legitimate reason to be concerned.
By what metric?
Marketplace activity? Number of servers? Number of Players? Profit? Or an anecdotal opinion of someone on a message board?
If that's the bar...I guess I could say that I've met more people that play TF2 since it went F2P than I did since the Orange Box.....or when it was just the TF mod for Quake. Admittedly most of those players are my kids' age...so not people I'm keen to socialize with. But that kind of goes with the territory....and "get off my lawn" seems a rather silly way of judging a shooter this many generations in.

31. Re: Free Unreal Tournament Plans May 8, 2014, 17:36 Primalchrome

Sho wrote on May 8, 2014, 17:04:
This is exactly what I imagined from their hints, and I think it's brilliant and makes me really excited. UT has a shot at becoming the de-facto, perpetual, continously-evolving multiplayer game of its kind using this approach - the Linux kernel equivalent of competitive online shooters.

Then again I've been an open source software developer for the past decade, so I'm used to projects getting work done in this fashion.
I just don't think this is in the cards. UT has always been about fun, not competitive level game styles. Quake was competitive. CounterStrike is/was competitive. Both were about a very narrow focus that players could practice, predict, and excel in. By opening up their marketplace to modding, you're going to be looking at insanely fun and loose play like in Team Fortress.

To use your analogy...there is a reason why "This is the year of Linux on the Desktop" has become a punchline in IT. It will be too many things to too many people to form that core competitive base required for competitive online gaming or (gad I hate this word) eSports.

27. Re: Free Unreal Tournament Plans May 8, 2014, 17:26 Primalchrome

It worked for Team Fortress 2 - one of the most popular games on steam
It worked for League of Legends - highest number of players in the world

Why all the hate? You fear fragmentation? I'm sure free maps will be all the rage...and extra maps will be a pittance. Hats, skins, weapons, sound packs, announcer packs, weapon skins, etc....those will be found in abundance and fund the game itself. If you're a cheap ass that doesn't believe in a patron model of software development, you can play for free. If you're a whale that does believe in the patron model, you can support your dev/modder to your heart's content.

Where is the room to whine?

News Comments > Steam Top 10 Redux
32. Re: Steam Top 10 Redux May 5, 2014, 20:46 Primalchrome

harlock wrote on May 5, 2014, 19:45:
thats ok though, most peoples minds are incredibly limited when it comes to considering any other possibilities than those which are most familiar
Sad little troll. "limit themselves BY 3-4 keys"...not "limit themselves TO 3-4 keys". I used arrows back when I played Wolfenstein3D. WASD around Doom. Somewhere around Tribes I realized I could open up a whole new row and 80+wpm typing to my advantage by moving to the home row. I've also tried devices like the old Nostromo keypads, so I have tried a wide variety of input schemes....but keep finding QWERTY much more accessible overall. RTS and now MOBAS moved that direction some time ago...it's FPS that hasn't grown its control scheme in a logical manner.

News Comments > Steam Top 10 Redux
30. Re: Steam Top 10 Redux May 5, 2014, 19:13 Primalchrome

saluk wrote on May 5, 2014, 18:50:
But they are ideal for running around in 3d and making quick positional adjustments, not to mention that the game itself is optimized around a controller, as far as button placement and the number of buttons it expects you to be able to hold at once (not a keyboard's strong suit).
Mmmmm...I beg to differ. If you use the home keys on a keyboard for your left hand, you have somewhere between 15 and 20 buttons readily available (depending on your dexterity an size of fingers). You can easily manipulate four or five of those buttons at a time. Example : Forward (E) + Strafe Left (S) + Crouch (A)+ Bunny Hop (Space). All while using mouselook and R/L mouse buttons for fire and AltFire or zoom. Why people limit themselves by 3-4 keys by using WSAD, I'll never know.

And I am far from a purist.... I played Saint's Row the Third and Darksiders with keyboard and mouse (with no issues) but I play Dark Souls and games like The Last of Us with a controller. It all depends on whether I want precision gameplay or something that feels a little more fluid and loose.

News Comments > 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners
47. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 13:54 Primalchrome

Sounds like a reasonable number to me. I've bought a number of games as bundles and not played them all. Then there are those that appear on sale for <$5 and I figure,"How can you go wrong at that price?" Then I play them when/if I hit a lull.

Bioshock 1, 2, and Infinite for $15. Finished 1 and Infinite...haven't touched 2. There's a 33%'er right there.

News Comments > Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled
66. Re: Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled Mar 25, 2014, 23:34 Primalchrome

Cutter wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 23:12:
Same as all the millions of assholes who bought Kinects for the the Xbox which all now sit gathering dust.
But there is the key....they bought it. And by doing so funded gen 2.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you about the cumbersome aspect (which has hampered 3D television adoption). But I think we're on the brink of seeing a lightweight version that will have both recreational as well as professional application. This isn't that VR rig we strapped on in the mall after seeing Lawnmower Man on opening night...

No, it's not going to be like Case slapping on a set of 'trodes and hanging with Dixie Flatline in the Matrix. But for the first time we're seeing a product that has the potential to make the leap.

Then again...I haven't yet put my money where my mouth is....you don't see any of old man Primalchrome's hard earned cash in their kickstarter.

News Comments > Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled
58. Re: Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled Mar 25, 2014, 23:00 Primalchrome

saluk wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 21:54:
.. I just don't understand why Oculus did.
For the money. Right now they see it as funding the Rift they've dreamed of building. The dollar signs are clouding their view of the shackles they just attached to their ankles.

Cutter wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 20:53:
Can you really see your average household family of four sitting around the dinner table wearing these cumbersome things on their heads?
Someone said that about raising sheep in Farmville as well.... I also remember people saying texting was a Japanese fad...

News Comments > EverQuest Next Landmark Closed Beta Next Week
7. Re: EverQuest Next Landmark Closed Beta Next Week Mar 22, 2014, 15:46 Primalchrome

Stormsinger wrote on Mar 22, 2014, 15:32:
People purchased items for an -alpha-? Sheesh...
They bought items, early access, and the ability to template the accomplishments that they have achieved in Alpha...Closed Beta...and Live. All of which are genuinely valuable since you can carry them along as the game transitions toward live.

So yes, you are correct...but your derision is a bit off base.

News Comments > Unreal 4 Engine Released; $19/Month Licensing
17. Re: Unreal 4 Engine Released; $19/Month Licensing Mar 19, 2014, 22:33 Primalchrome

...are some of you serious? $19 is a deal breaker for you for access to one of the top engines on the market? I'd say that you're in the wrong industry/hobby if that is the case. Is it also going to be too much to buy the extra hard drive and spend the time to set up something really simple like a CVS repository?  

News Comments > Diablo III XP Bonus
82. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 5, 2014, 12:17 Primalchrome

Krovven wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 04:23:
Primalchrome wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 00:08:
Krovven wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 16:06:
The inclusion of the AH was an attempt at dealing with these problems from D2.
Your naivete is very cute.

As is your idiocy. The AH was Blizz's answer to getting people away from dealing with shady 3rd party sites selling gold an items. They wanted a piece of that, hard to fault them for it.
My idiocy.... They put up the auction house to create a new recurring revenue stream from D3. It was put up for profit...not to fix anything. Do not try to attribute altruism to something obviously motivated by greed. Look, you're a Blizzard fanboi, I get that....but if you want people to believe you're offering logical arguments, don't let the BlizzLove bleed through quite o clearly.

News Comments > Diablo III XP Bonus
76. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 5, 2014, 00:08 Primalchrome

Krovven wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 16:06:
The inclusion of the AH was an attempt at dealing with these problems from D2.
Your naivete is very cute.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - EvilQuest
8. Re: Steamships Ahoy - EvilQuest Feb 22, 2014, 03:06 Primalchrome

Cutter wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 12:21:
Gee, another 16 bit "retro" game. Sigh. Please, just stop. We had to play them back then. We didn't have a choice. Why would you want to drive a Model-T when you can zoom around in a McLaren F1?
Not sure if you meant this to be humorous or not...since the McLarens were built in the early mid-nineties which is relatively close to the same time you saw a lot of the 'retro' games you're talking about.

Why would you want to drive a McLaren F1 when you could own and drive 10 Ariel Atoms for the same price?

News Comments > Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims
28. Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 20, 2014, 12:50 Primalchrome

Seventyfive wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 11:09:
007Bistromath wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 10:02:
I have not been paid to say that Titanfall is the best FPS that has ever been made

I 100% agree.
This is HIGH praise. Which makes me very skeptical of comments like this being made about a product still in beta. Best FPS ever made...mmmmmmm.....

News Comments > Titanfall Beta Signups Tonight
9. Re: Titanfall Beta Signups Tonight Feb 11, 2014, 20:23 Primalchrome

briktal wrote on Feb 11, 2014, 20:12:
(requires Origin account)
Ah. Thanks for the info...
>breaks out pencil and scratches a line through Titanfall<

News Comments > Darkest Dungeon Kickstarter
14. Re: Darkest Dungeon Kickstarter Feb 11, 2014, 13:04 Primalchrome

AlexSledge wrote on Feb 11, 2014, 11:57:
For someone who mentioned a more Dungeon Keeper like experience, look to Dungeon Forge (still in Kickstarter, and it appears they can use your love) - which is another that looks quite full of potential for me.
I really like the look of this. It reminds me of Neverwinter Nights and the toolset that came with it (moreso than Dungeon Keeper). I'm always very hesitant to put down money on Kickstarters, but Dungeon Forge might very well merit my hard earned dollars....

456 Comments. 23 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo