Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tessier Ashpoole

Real Name Tessier Ashpoole   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Primalchrome
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2011, 18:32
Total Comments 531 (Apprentice)
User ID 56308

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Patched
48. Re: MechWarrior Online Patched Jul 8, 2015, 10:44 Primalchrome

NewMaxx wrote on Jul 8, 2015, 09:25:
let's be honest, the Griffin with that build was never in favor. You say it can still be a strong brawler but when I did actually play the game for a while, it was a liability to my team.
This is my last reply in this thread, because it has become painfully obvious that a number of people are posting either incorrect information, WAY outdated information, or just sullen because the game isn't what THEY wanted out of their beloved franchise. That said... The Griffin WAS in favor for some time as a medium brawler with SRMS/MLas and a standard engine so that it could tank. It can be a strong factor even now in brawling with a decent pilot. I stress the "decent pilot" part.
You later in your reply mention "hanging with a friendly ECM mech," another glaring problem I saw with the game.
I mentioned three options, only one of which was an ECM mech. If having multiple options for evading LRM fire is a problem for you, you're right....you shouldn't be playing any kind of PvP game. If ECM were the only option it would be horrible....but thankfully it is not.
I was never able to play the way I wanted without derpmaster metagame plus daddy warbucks ruining it for me.
Exactly. You wanted a single player game with everything unlocked with no effort against mindless drones so that you could play it only in the way you had envisioned....not as an actually competitive game. You've never HAD to run meta builds unless you were at the top elo bracket or doing tournaments. My 9 year old is successful in solo queue and the builds he runs makes me cry, whether they're in MWO or on tabletop.

I played MWO in beta and thought it sucked, HORRIBLY. Just before the Clans were released, a friend convinced me to go back. The game was fair, but stompy mechs with friends I used to play tabletop with was a win. When Clans hit the game was tilted in their favor....which is canon, but caused massive balance issues in the medium and heavy classes. Since PGI bought out IGP's share of the game they have made constant improvements to both balance and variety. Inner Sphere quirks have left us with a number of top tier chassis available to players...but even the second or third tier can do very well with intelligent pilots. I'll say it again, the game still needs work....but ALL of the MW games have had pretty significant issues. Even with a perfect PvP or PvE build, there is no escaping it because people are looking at it through rose colored tabletop glasses.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: ArcheAge Head Start Issues Jul 7, 2015, 23:09 Primalchrome

Right...you're just backing up everything that was said. It's not P2W. You were a solid pilot and the enemy team walked in piecemeal and fed you in the end. You had the skill...you had the tonnage.

There have been a number of waves of balancing that have been going on for some time. Weapons, chassis, team/solo queues, etc... There will never be perfect parity...there will always be meta favorites both in weapons and chassis.

And I didnt' mean to insinuate that you weren't helping when your team was engaged in the upper city. You were providing hella LRM support and certainly had a 1000+ dmg match.

35. Re: ArcheAge Head Start Issues Jul 7, 2015, 19:05 Primalchrome

Trevellian wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 18:34:
video proof of how two of the more expensive mechs in the game can take on half of another team with just a little coordination.
You have an Atlas 100 tons, purchasable with in game money and a TimberWolf 75 tons, currently purchasable by in game money. So your two mechs are at the heaviest end of the spectrum. In that fight where your team got 'owned' and you guys 'ruled', you were fighting all mechs that were 70% or lower...essentially shredded (by your team's earlier engagement when you and your buddy fought some rambo dolt in a Jager running machine guns) and begging to just be knocked over. Oh, and you also had the added firepower of your base turrets. I've seen ace pilots in Firestarters (at 35 tons) pull that off solo. Again, nothing to do with real world money, so that doesnt' qualify as P2W. You gave an example of what can be done with raw tonnage and/or skill.

That said, Clan LRMs and possibly ERMLasers were more powerful if this vid was shot a year ago. Nowadays if you're playing at a decent ELO, LRMs are poor loadouts in general. Too many ECM mechs, Radar Derp modules, and knowing how to duck behind cover.

News Comments > ARK: Survival Evolved Sells 1M; Adds Mod Support
3. Re: ARK: Survival Evolved Sells 1M; Adds Mod Support Jul 7, 2015, 18:05 Primalchrome

Seems like everyone I know that picked up ARK is loving it...  

32. Re: ArcheAge Head Start Issues Jul 7, 2015, 17:31 Primalchrome

Darks wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 16:53:
Then they talked about making this really great SP campaign and possibly making it Coop. All were lies. once they got the funding they needed it turned in to a Fricking PVP P2W feast.
When did they do this Darks? I've never seen a single promise of a single player campaign. There have been numerous interviews where they've said "we'd like to do that..." I'm also still waiting on some examples of how the game is pay to win....
Darks wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 16:53:
Me, I took it even more personal, because I made the two Coop mods back in the day for Mech Warrior 4 and Mercenaries.
Here's the crux of the matter. You feel that you were entitled to a SP MW game. Your wildly rabid feelings are, yet again, personal expectation/bias rather than based on what actually happened.

The game has issues. It's a niche game, with a frothy playerbase. It will be like any other video game for battletech....there will be those that hate it and those that play it. But little of that will be because of the game itself, it will be due to personal and polarized views of what battletech and mechwarrior is to them. Those opinions and feelings will be forged and tempered before a game is ever developed.

If you want to talk broken, it's been that way from the first MW game I ran on a Tandy 1000. AC/5 rounds that changed trajectory. Winning the final battle against the Deathwing with a LOCUST. Phfft....give me a break.

30. Re: MechWarrior Online Patched Jul 7, 2015, 16:23 Primalchrome

NewMaxx wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 16:02:
Base build from that time I believe
http://tinyurl.com/onxuqus
Actually not a bad build overall. Griffin is not in favor at the moment, but can still be a strong brawler. You'd want to drop the XL and AMS for a standard engine, then you'd be good to go. AMS can be compensated for in a few ways, a Radar Derp module, hanging with a friendly ECM mech, and just hugging cover until you close to optimal range. Then it's Katie bar the door! I played almost the same build you have in a RHOD tournament last year.

29. Re: MechWarrior Online Patched Jul 7, 2015, 16:17 Primalchrome

Darks wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 10:08:
I gave up on this game long ago when these assholes lied and turned this game in to a pay to win.
...ok. I want one example of how the current game is pay to win. Just ONE. Back when the Clans first dropped and ERML were over powered, there was an edge to be bought. Even then, though you'd run across good Shadowhawk pilots that would poptart a Nova into the ground. They are constantly tweaking things in an attempt to keep the meta fluid while maintaining balance. Just about everything but brand new chassis or heroes can be bought for in game cash. There is no pay to win.

3rd person - Jesus. Talk about whining and squawking over nothing. Yes, they originally didn't plan to put it in. Yes, there was enough pressure from the suits and the publisher that they added it. But with the beacon above your head, there was no real tactical advantage granted by using it.

My kid still dominates matches with a Jenner and 6 medium lasers. The most basic of chassis and tech. Why does he get 3 kills and 5+ assists in every match? He didn't pay a cent for that build. He wins because he plays intelligently and uses the minimap for tactical advantage. My other kid builds just about anything that doesn't resemble meta....and still has a great time with it.

There are plenty of issues with the game, but the crap being flung in this thread doesn't even touch reality. I think Tomas is the only one of you that has played the game more than a few times in the past three years.

News Comments > Terraria Patched
10. Re: Terraria Patched Jun 30, 2015, 20:34 Primalchrome

I've kept backups of character and world files on my Google drive. Makes it easier moving them back and forth between gaming machine and laptop for travel.  

News Comments > Terraria Patched
6. Re: Terraria Patched Jun 30, 2015, 18:37 Primalchrome

That's kind of the beauty of Terraria. It doesn't need mods. You can play it as a straight up sandbox or you can go through it like it a progressive game with mini-bosses, Bosses, and End Game Bosses. Take a look at the Terraria Wiki. Make your initial searches for pick, sword, and boss to get a feel for the scope of the game itself. The Guide (npc) in the game has a Crafting dialogue that allows you to drop materials in a slot and see all of the recipes available. The merchant sells a piggy bank and safe that helps with inventory management later in the game. Other than that....just have fun...  

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Analysis
16. Re: Steam Summer Sale Analysis Jun 26, 2015, 14:10 Primalchrome

Task wrote on Jun 26, 2015, 11:33:
Take Witcher 2 on steam for example, only 16% of people that own it on Steam have actually finished the game on any difficulty.
I have hundreds of hours on Skyrim and haven't finished it.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Performance Update
17. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Performance Update Jun 24, 2015, 11:17 Primalchrome

Another real world reason for not pre-ordering or buying Early Access. With the rare exception, I've been waiting a minimum of two weeks after release to purchase a game. By that point you're getting unpaid reviews and patches...and even then they're suspect.  

News Comments > Anarchy Online Testing New Engine
8. Re: Anarchy Online Testing New Engine Jun 21, 2015, 10:30 Primalchrome

Did I play the same AO as you guys? I was there at launch for about the first three months and it was nothing but a pain in the ass. The first month you'd get stuck in terrain and buildings and have to petition for a GM to come and teleport you out. The second two months I was running instances while reading a book because it was so simplistic. And as a Fixer I was supposed to be shit hot on the Grid....but that really didn't function properly until like level 20...and only minimal functionality (from what they promised) then. Oh, and how fun was loot? I used the EXACT same submachine gun from level 3 until I stopped playing....I had to sell just about all my loot except that exact model, but a level higher. Wooo, the DIVERSITY!!!

Nope.

News Comments > Battlezone Return Plans
5. Re: Battlezone Return Plans Jun 16, 2015, 14:08 Primalchrome

Right there with you guys. I clicked on the trailer link with stars shining in my eyes. Instead of moonbases and cold war hovertanks I get the Lawnmower Man?  

News Comments > YouTube Gaming This Summer
16. Re: YouTube Gaming This Summer Jun 13, 2015, 11:21 Primalchrome

NewMaxx wrote on Jun 13, 2015, 11:06:
P.S. nginx + rtmp takes practically 0 resources so that's not an issue
True, but I think you're missing the point. What makes Twitch huge is the social networking...not the underlying technology. They're as successful as they are but up until a few months ago their app for iOS and Android was horrific. Anyone can stream, but no one is going to watch unless there is a conglomerate site.

Google/Youtube could be huge...but the visceral reaction right now is not to the site, its tech, or its userbase.... It is to the way they handle DRM. Way too many stories about streams going offline for a short while because it was reported or the auto-DRM thought it picked up some music owned by ZaibatsuCorp. That will not fly with streamers or viewers and will make YouTube's service a non-starter.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale
21. Re: Steam Summer Sale Jun 11, 2015, 23:48 Primalchrome

Picked up Darkest Dungeon and Valkyria Chronicles. Not really alot out that I'm looking for right now.  

News Comments > Master of Orion Remake Plans
26. Re: Master of Orion Remake Plans Jun 9, 2015, 22:39 Primalchrome

Darks wrote on Jun 9, 2015, 18:22:
Some of you guys really need to do your home work before jumping to conclusions.
I didn't say anything about your friend....so consider your personal bias in the matter. Your buddy is the only possible diamond in the rough...and only for a game he created 18 years ago. Personal feeling aside, the truth is that neither company has a notable track record on anything resembling MoO.

22. Re: Master of Orion Remake Plans Jun 9, 2015, 18:15 Primalchrome

Darks wrote on Jun 9, 2015, 16:08:
I seriously doubt that. You seem to forget get that they bought out Gas Powered Games. And I happen to know they are working on this game too.
I didn't know that...but even that doesn't give me a lot of hope. Age of Empires Online anyone?

I was never impressed with S.Commander....though I've purchased TA and core contingency multiple times over the years just because of it's massive scale.

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Sells 4M
32. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Sells 4M Jun 9, 2015, 18:05 Primalchrome

Now that we're a few patches in, I'm much happier with the game and don't regret the purchase any longer. There are still a few annoying bugs that need addressing....but nothing that is ruining the overall experience. I only wish they would have done a little more QA before release....and then it would have deserved the stellar day one reviews.  

11. Re: Master of Orion Remake Plans Jun 9, 2015, 12:56 Primalchrome

No optimism here. Wargaming's dev model is incompatible with anything remotely akin to MoO. They will dumb it down, make it f2p, and sell golden antarian ammo for cash.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 2, 2015, 11:10 Primalchrome

Bad boys bad boys, whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when they come for you?  

531 Comments. 27 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo