Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tessier Ashpoole

Real Name Tessier Ashpoole   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Primalchrome
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2011, 18:32
Total Comments 560 (Apprentice)
User ID 56308

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Far Cry New Dawn System Specs
8. Re: Far Cry New Dawn System Specs Jan 16, 2019, 12:14 Primalchrome

With regards to general mechanics, I'd enjoy seeing a decent FarCryesque game in this sort of environment. That said, I'm pretty tired of the over the top action and formulaic recycled story.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2019, 11:23 Primalchrome

The Holland Spiderman feels a bit more whimsical...and I'm wondering if we'll see an adult transformation after Infinity War is over. My only real gripe is that I want MJ to have shock red hair. The great hope was that she would appear in a scene with the color change and Parker would make a comment so which she would respond,"I think it just suits me better...."

Edit : And is Mystrio a good guy, or is he just running a grift?

News Comments > The Division 2 Blows Off Steam; Specs Revealed
19. Re: The Division 2 Blows Off Steam; Specs Revealed Jan 9, 2019, 22:34 Primalchrome

Publisher-centric storefronts are going to further erode many things that we enjoy in gaming rather than inspire competition. I realize that it's edgy to hate Steam, but it and GoG are two of the best storefronts/distributors out there.  

News Comments > Discord Store Undercuts Epic With 10% Split
18. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2018, 21:27 Primalchrome

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 14, 2018, 19:22:
wtf, you forgot the link app. /s
https://store.steampowered.com/steamlink/about
https://youtu.be/Y7tvauOJMHo

Did you see that you can run Link on a little Raspberry Pi now? I think it's a free download.....pretty cool on the whole.

News Comments > Discord Store Undercuts Epic With 10% Split
16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2018, 19:12 Primalchrome

DrSquick wrote on Dec 14, 2018, 19:01:
What does Steam do to justify a 30% cut? Great customer support?
Oh...I don't know....but I guess I can *try* to think of a single thing....
* First product to bring market, libraries, patching, and multiplayer under one banner for any dev.
* Free marketing for products on steam
* Developed Steam workshop for easy management of mods
* Integrated communities
* Exposure for Indie games
* Linux support
* Big Picture mode
* Controller support
* SteamLink
* SteamVR
* Steam Controller
* SteamBox (the political/market implications)

I mean...really...I know it's cool and edgy to hate Gabe/Valve/Steam, but don't pretend like Steam hasn't done amazing things for gaming and provided a wide swath of services for the devs that use it.

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Losing Developers and Esports Support
3. Re: Heroes of the Storm Losing Developers and Esports Support Dec 14, 2018, 11:27 Primalchrome

Activision/Blizzard knows that mobile is more lucrative. This is a chart for daily revenue......which they want Diablo and Warcraft to top :
https://thinkgaming.com/app-sales-data/

News Comments > Epic Games Store Launches
5. Re: Epic Games Store Launches Dec 7, 2018, 12:14 Primalchrome

I doubt it will be any appreciable percentage, but I wonder how many people will hedge on using the Epic launcher due to Tencent owning ~49% of the company? It is a concern of mine, particularly in light of tech/economic moves in the last 2-5 years.  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2018, 17:10 Primalchrome

Jeez....you'd think people would be thankful that someone took ownership and that it was simply an accident rather than some evil rogue poop bagger run amuck!  

News Comments > Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties
9. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 12:38 Primalchrome

This is the first Distro platform since GoG that has really caught my attention.

That said, Valve/Steam has done a *lot* for gaming that they don't get credit for. Better Controller integration (there are more controllers for PC than Xbox). Steam Controller (allowing better controller mapping). SteamLink (bringing PC gaming to the couch). SteamVR (secular VR). SteamBox (political move against MS store that benefited us all). etc..etc..etc..

News Comments > MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries in September
10. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries in September Dec 2, 2018, 14:53 Primalchrome

Overon wrote on Dec 2, 2018, 14:11:
to blame crotchety old grognards for the Mechwarrior IP floundering and being sold to second rate studios has cause and effect backwards. Mechwarrior was not always developed by second rate studios. After it became less simulation and more arcade like, that's when the PC crotchety grognards got upset.
For the record, I rank myself in the crochety old grognard category as well. I've been playing Battletech since the 80's and Mechwarrior since it's initial release. If you pay attention to the fan forums for both you find the exact same loud and obnoxious chatter. "They can't change anything because it's not how *I* used to play it." Hence the fact that the Tabletop rules are almost the same as they were 30 years ago with only incremental improvements. The rules are crunchy, granular, counterintuitive, and slow. Most TT gamers now don't have six hours to play one scenario....but no one can change the rules because the old school core group raises hell. And since it's clunky and dated....there is no new blood wanting to play. So the playerbase dwindles, and those left still want to use their Battletech Compendium from 1990, so there's not enough new sales to generate new content. Kind of familiar territory when you look at Mechwarrior from 2001-2013. (sidenote, Alpha Strike took the pendulum swing way to far the other direction, but at least we saw some funds for the new BT boxed sets coming out)

Overon wrote on Dec 2, 2018, 14:11:
You can't ignore your core fans by trying to appeal to the more casual people in order to try to expand your audience. You risk alienating your core audience. It almost never works
But MWO alone proves this statement wrong. It has pushed the IP forward and done more for it in the last five years than anything in the last 17 years. It reinvigorated many people from the old fan base and brought in tens of thousands of new players over the years. Unless, you think that the XBox MechAssault title was an amazing bit of work that really brought BT/MW to the masses?

The reality, whether I want it or not, is that Sims are a niche market...and Battletech is a niche of that niche. We will probably never see a two inch thick manual for Falcon 4.0 again. My 3.0 box will always sit on the shelf with no future. But we do see a metric shit ton of traffic/money/development for World of Tanks or War Thunder with it's faster pseudo-sim gameplay. Money fuels development.

News Comments > MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries in September
5. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries in September Dec 2, 2018, 13:14 Primalchrome

Poor video....horrible 80's rock for the soundtrack....par for the course. Engine/graphics aren't all that impressive, but looks like it could be fun.

That said, I'm looking forward to it. It won't be a day one purchase, I'll have to see plenty of streams and let's plays for me to finally pull the trigger. They've proven that they can do the combat, graphics, etc....but my biggest question is the AI. That will be the make or break for this. PGI did a pretty good job on MWO...not stellar...but pretty good. This looks to capture the same look and feel. Lights will be fast and nimble, assaults will be ponderous but devastating after lock on. And they were responsible for bringing the Unseen back....so that gets them some credit.

Regardless of who made it and if it was perfect or not...everyone should be ready for the legion of bitchy old grognards with their "this ain't *MY* Mechwarrior/Battletech" line. Always intent on damaging the IP they hold so dear in the hopes of making it so troublesome and unprofitable that NO studio will touch it. What a great life quest for miserable schmucks with nothing better to do with their lives? This is the main reason that the tabletop IP has floundered just as the digital IP goes to second rate studios.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2018, 20:47 Primalchrome

NKD wrote on Dec 1, 2018, 15:31:
the last POTUS we had before it all turned into a reality TV show.
I have said for many years that Clinton playing his saxophone on the Arsenio Hall Show was the herald for the new age of cyberpunk presidents, where the office became more about celebrity than about ability. (not that Clinton himself wasn't qualified or capable)

News Comments > BATTLETECH: Flashpoint Released
1. Re: BATTLETECH: Flashpoint Released Nov 27, 2018, 18:45 Primalchrome

There was some talk on forums about modded save games were no longer viable and that if you didn't have all of your mods fully uninstalled, that you will have to wipe HBS:BT and reinstall. (regarding the patch to the game itself, not just Flashpoint DLC)

I don't have any personal experience with these issues, just passing it along.

News Comments > Starsiege Tribes Turns 20 This Week
6. Re: Starsiege Tribes Turns 20 This Week Nov 27, 2018, 13:02 Primalchrome

Saw a guy at DragonCon last year carrying an oldschool Spinfusor. My kids and I got excited and asked for pics. He had this huge look of relief on his face and said,"I've been carrying this thing all day and you guys are the first ones to recognize it!"  

News Comments > Fallout 76 Legal Fallout?
16. Re: Fallout 76 Legal Fallout? Nov 27, 2018, 12:59 Primalchrome

*I* didn't have bugs, so NOBODY had bugs!

C'mon Darks....there is a *lot* of hyperbole on both sides of this and reality is somewhere in the middle. The game is a bugridden product that turned into a PR shitshow. BUT, truth is, that it can be totally fun with a group of friends to help gloss that over. I didn't buy it because watching the beta made it clear it was trash, but most people don't research anything, the ride the hype/rumor train and preorder or early access blindly.

Because of the scope of Elder Scrolls/Fallout open world games, I give them a very generous leeway on bugginess and poor dev decisions....but 76 was the first one that pegged red since Daggerfall.

Bethesda doesn't deserve a pass. Recycled engine. Recycled assets. Some of the *same* bugs that were in Fallout4...but can't be patched by modders because Beth turned the screws on this release to control the product for the next generation of monetized "Creation Club".

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2018, 11:31 Primalchrome

My oldest kid has trouble with the concept that Counter Strike is older than he is....but is still a benchmark competitive shooter for kids in his high school.  

News Comments > Cliff Bleszinski: "I am NEVER making another game"
24. Re: Cliff Bleszinski: Nov 16, 2018, 12:52 Primalchrome

With the narcissistic posts in the past, I take this with a grain of salt. It would take a public release of his financials for me to do more than assume this is hyperbole.  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2018, 12:45 Primalchrome

They don't sell phones in the supermarkets here.....I feel like my life has been a lie. /s  

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Nov 15, 2018, 11:45 Primalchrome

Wonder if in 20 years we'll be seeing a self-reflective piece from a certain developer that was supposed to release his kickstarter/crowdfunded game in 2014?

Nahhhhh.....

News Comments > THQ Nordic Acquires Expeditions IP
1. Re: THQ Nordic Acquires Expeditions IP Nov 15, 2018, 11:40 Primalchrome

And the hits just keep on comin'!  

560 Comments. 28 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo