Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for panbient

Real Name panbient   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname panbient
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description old school cranky pants gamer guy
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 18, 2011, 00:28
Total Comments 683 (Apprentice)
User ID 56226

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > SAG/AFTRA Rally Tomorrow
10. Re: SAG/AFTRA Rally Tomorrow Feb 2, 2017, 18:16 panbient

Cutter wrote on Feb 1, 2017, 17:29:

Are you high? Or were you just dropped on your head a lot as a child? People are aware of his music because they buy his albums and share them. Royalties and residuals always have been and always will be bullshit. If the whole world worked like that it'd grind to a screeching halt.

Ok. You got me. Well played. How exhausting is the act?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: SAG/AFTRA Rally Tomorrow Feb 1, 2017, 14:13 panbient

Cutter wrote on Feb 1, 2017, 12:33:
Maybe because the vast majority of people have to bust their hump in the real world and don't get bullshit like residuals for sitting around talking into a fucking microphone for a few hours. ZERO sympathy for these clowns. They VASTLY overestimate their worth and importance...as they're now learning. This isn't about sympathy for publishers, it's about fuck those greedy clowns. Don't like it? Go do something else like everyone else does.

How the actual fuck do you have a Van Morrison quote with an attitude like this? The ONLY reason you or anyone else is even aware of his music and lyrics is because of royalties and residuals that support creative endeavors.

Or should that greedy clown have fucked off from a career in music to do something else like everyone else does?

3. Re: SAG/AFTRA Rally Tomorrow Feb 1, 2017, 11:00 panbient

Kxmode wrote on Feb 1, 2017, 09:52:
WHY: Reasons

And with a reaction like that what's the real point of trying to explain it again?

If you had a broken arm would you appreciate being told to STFU because other people had broken legs and were choosing to accept the pain rather than get medical attention?

Fucking crab bucket of idiots screwing themselves over for the benefit of the executives taking full advantage of their refusal to stand up for themselves.

Seriously, EA screws over gamers with nickel and dime in-game DLC - fuck EA. EA screws over developers with brutal crunch time - fuck EA. EA screws over a classic franchise to hit a scheduled released with a half baked game - fuck EA.

A small group of creatives exercise their right to organize and demand fair and adequate compensation in line with the rest of the greater industry they operate within from companies like EA - fuck the workers?

What. the actual fuck. kind of logic is this?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
30. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 31, 2017, 13:40 panbient

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 16:10:
Why the fuck or how the fuck could that even happen if you are paying just the tiniest li'l bit of attention to what the fuck you are actually doing?

I've had more than a few classic games not shut down properly in Steam when I thought I had quit them (and the icon in the taskbar went away). Load up another game, notice a decrease in performance, bring up the Task Manager and...

Surprise! that old .exe is still running the background and taking up RAM. And where I run a legacy system, it can have a noticeable impact on performance.

So it's not just a matter of having less than a perfect attention span such as your own.

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Jan 31, 2017, 10:31 panbient

bigspender wrote on Jan 31, 2017, 01:25:
PETA do a lot of good awareness raising, but this seems a bit misguided, and hurts their credibility.

No they really don't. For every instance of worthwhile awareness (like hidden camera footage of slaughterhouse conditions) there are dozens of incidents of people being publicly harassed and assaulted with paint etc.

And yes, PETA will always deny any association with the more extreme individuals but their stunts are still a result of the emboldened confidence they gain from seeing PETA in action.

Ultimately PETA is desperate for attention (or does no one else remember the lettuce bikini calendars from a few years ago?). They attacked what is ultimately a toy manufacturer with a very litigious reputation. They were hoping this would explode into the courts and provide a pile of free press so they could play victim to an evil corporation trying to stifle their attempts to save cute furry little animals (because seriously, they don't care about the boring looking ones).

Also it seems to me most of the fur on WH minis corresponds with a typical enemy that the character would face (and kill). As in they're wearing a war trophy rather than a fashion accessory, not unlike the skulls that can be found on just about every other mini they've ever produced.

But hey, it's PETA not PETH right.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2017, 10:20 panbient

LarryLaffer wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 15:33:
Yes Panbient they are charging $15 dollars to port the songs to Rock Band 4.

Laffman

Fair enough, thanks for the update. Still not keen on that price though, seem to remember the RB1 export only being $5.

Also being a PS player I believe I end up losing most, if not all, of my RBN content if I transition to the next-gen :S Ah well, never getting rid of my PS3 hahahaha

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2017, 14:16 panbient

Is Harmonix still charging $15 to export the RB3 on-disc content over to RB4?  

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: etc., etc. Jan 25, 2017, 09:26 panbient

Ozmodan wrote on Jan 24, 2017, 22:22:
Don't understand the voice actor strike. Just put an ad out on the net and you will have people lining up to do it. Kind of like the Air Controllers strike, people just ignored them as they were replaced. Not as if there are few people that have the skills....

Oh yeah! It -is- really that simple. Doesn't anyone else remember how well it worked out during the writer's strike a few years ago? I mean we're all posting on the internet - proof we're all able to write. Why didn't TV shows enjoy a big boom now that union influence was removed?

I mean really, how AWESOME was that 2nd season of Heroes, am I right? How great does the $80 for a AAA title feel when a character opens their mouth and you hear an obvious intern reading words of a piece of paper for the first time?

Obviously no one is buying the product specifically for the voice actor but it's a factor in the overall quality of the product. Seriously though, if you paid $80 for a steak dinner and they served it with a foil packet of ketchup instead of some quality homemade accompaniment because they're nickel and diming their guest chefs would you still be siding with the restaurant?

That's not to say the actual developers don't deserve protection or better benefits either. But just because someone else has a broken leg doesn't mean my broken finger should be ignored. And just because they're choosing to ignore their broken leg doesn't mean I need to choose to suffer either. Especially not for the benefit of those who broke the bones in the first place.

Yet, here we are. Watching fans of the oppressed developers trying to oppress the right and ability of a creative peer from exercising their right to a better / fairer deal.

It's like watching a bunch of abused women beating on another woman for wanting to get out of an abusive relationship.

News Comments > Diablo III Postmortem
28. Re: Diablo III Postmortem Jan 24, 2017, 13:52 panbient

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jan 24, 2017, 11:52:
So Have I... I even got it on my PS4...

I've platinum-ed the game on both PS3 and PS4. Cannot for the life of me get into it on the PC though. Have you tried couch co-op? It makes it exponentially more fun in my experience.

News Comments > Necromunda: Underhive Wars Announced
6. Re: Necromunda: Underhive Wars Announced Jan 18, 2017, 15:59 panbient

MT Silver wrote on Jan 18, 2017, 14:29:
It's like when Bioware made Baldur's Gate and kept the dumb THACO and other systems in it. Those things are compromises the boardgame/pen&paper devs had to make in order to make them playable. You don't have those limitations in a videogame. Screw the dice, just have the computer crunch some numbers behind the scenes. Focus on making a great game first and a loyal adaptation second.

But... that's exactly what they did. No one talks about the implementation of 2nd edition AD&D rules, they talk about the epic adventure (and Boo's penchant for eyes).

If they took the THAC0 out of the mechanics it wouldn't be 2nd edition AD&D anymore. Yes, it was a horrible system. Yes, it was brutal on a tabletop. But... in a video game when you've got the computer handling all the number crunching? Why not? Why would you pay to use the license then design your own mechanics?

News Comments > Star Citizen Video
49. Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 17:10 panbient

Sabre Wulf wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 12:48:
but again if people paid for this, then why up in arms when its show off?

its like going to McDonald and ordering a big-mac, then pulling up to the window and the cashier hands you a combo with fries and a coke. You say i didn't order that, and they reply, the car behind you paid for everyone to have a combo order for the next 1 million customers. Then you get pissed because you didn't want the fries and a coke because it makes you fat, but you sure as hell going to eat them just for spite even if you didn't want or pay for them.

1 - I love food analogies.

2 - You're wrong. This is like McDonald's saying it's going to bring back the McBLT then showing up and being charged for some fries and a Coke you never wanted, before finally getting a cheeseburger (and not a McDouble) plus a "coming soon! for really reals!" picture of a McBLT. How many years later? I honestly forget.

News Comments > etc.
11. Re: etc. Dec 15, 2016, 16:34 panbient

HoSpanky wrote on Dec 15, 2016, 15:31:
Oddly, while the article is new, the comments all say they're from 4 years ago.

They specify that it was originally run in May 2013 at the end of introduction. Some sort of retro / throwback thing, really not sure why they hid it, looks bad on them.

On point though, I'll always remember the first time I fired up Mechwarrior 2 after getting my 4MB Diamond Monster Voodoo 3d. FOUR WHOLE MEGABYTES!!!

Also really wish I had the chance to play more than just the demo of Interstate '76 back in the day.

News Comments > Dota 2 The New Journey Begins
5. Re: Dota 2 The New Journey Begins Dec 13, 2016, 14:02 panbient

Frijoles wrote on Dec 13, 2016, 12:11:
I really suck at this game so I use guides. However, in my one match last night, I noticed the guide was telling me what to buy from the shops but not what to skills to level. It was an older guide, though, so I'm wondering if it's just incompatible with this new version. I'd be surprised if they removed that.

I wouldn't say it's incompatible, but expect a revision. It also depends on whether or not your character of choice is one of those that got updated and to what degree. Some characters got heavily reworked.

There are also a fair amount of Shop items that got tweaked - like the Drum provides mana regen rather than health now. So recommended item sets will no doubt change as well.

News Comments > Dota 2 The New Journey Begins
3. Re: Dota 2 The New Journey Begins Dec 13, 2016, 09:44 panbient

Super casual pub player and I only tried one match with the new update last night but these are the lasting impressions -

As stated by our player using him - "Monkey King is op af"

The new UI is very nice most of the time but the Talent Tree / Leaf thing auto-pops the options whenever you mouse over it so it can be a bit bothersome when dealing with the bottom of the screen. Otherwise, the new leveling up method of just clicking on the gold box over the ability you want to upgrade is fantastic.

Pre-game is also super awesome. Very pleased with the new selection method and the ability to shop before launching into the action.

Your Kill / Death / Assist stats don't seem to be displayed anymore. Have to refer to the scoreboard to get your stats mid-game. Not sure why they're not listed along with the Attack / Defense / Speed stats on the top edge of the UI.

Shrines didn't even register during the match. I know leading up to the update I thought they would be huge but when the action started I totally forgot about them. Don't know if they were on cool down or what when I finally spotted them but they didn't seem to stand out.

But yeah. It's a massive update (also like 7gb download) and at the very least every single character has a new custom Talent Tree for players to learn.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Dec 9, 2016, 10:50 panbient

Beamer wrote on Dec 9, 2016, 10:19:
I'll never understand people who call articles like this "one-sided."

How is this not one-sided?

If you happened to be super old school and read this in a print newspaper you would have the story of a single special needs boy being spun as representative of the impact of video games on a generation of youths. While the online version does have loads of links to support other ancillary claims this is really an article about one single family's experience and not an exploration into reclusive social behaviour. It's almost like you didn't actually read the article.

As for the actual article that whole angle about the 'negative' impact of games because dialog lines would pop into his head... I mean, I know haters are going to hate, hate, hate, hate! Just shake it off, shake it off!

Am I right? And now get that out of your head.

Oh, but when the earworm comes from a video game it's totally due to addiction. Right. Because no one has ever had a catch phrase or ad slogan or song hook just pop into their heads just because they hear it so much. Nope... gotta be addiction.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 7, 2016, 10:56 panbient

Timmeh wrote on Dec 7, 2016, 10:45:
Most of the news stories or non news stories about the Clintons murdering people, raping women and looting everything they can.. oh and selling out the country to every communist country on earth.. ie Russia and china are TRUE.

regardless of what the FAKE main stream communist propaganda outlets spew or more often IGNORE.

How does that change the fact that someone with a link to the new POTUS pushed the idea that a pizza place was a front for a child prostitution ring because 'pizza party' HAD to mean more than just 'pizza party' in DNC emails.

Because no self-respecting adult likes pizza and / or parties am I right? They MUST be diddling kids! Yeah that's a sensible conclusion. For sure.

And after an apparently very well-meaning yet horrifically stupid person walked into that family restaurant with an assault rifle and proved that - holy crap it's just a pizza place - this jackass doubled down on the conspiracy.

And you're trying to spin this into what now?

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2016, 13:27 panbient

EvilGrouse wrote on Dec 3, 2016, 13:15:
It's OZZY.

Not in his Chrono Trigger cameo along with Flea and Slash.

News Comments > GOG.Com Winter Sale Includes Free NWN; Steam Sale Dated
22. Re: GOG.Com Winter Sale Includes Free NWN; Steam Sale Dated Dec 2, 2016, 10:52 panbient

Acleacius wrote on Dec 1, 2016, 19:42:
Odd, only hardcore players finished NWN2 in the first place.

-snip for brevity-

NWN2 had many unique gameplay ideas for NWN like the castle and defense. The story was pretty good all in all, but too long and had crap storyboard ending. There were a lot of cool characters Kelgar and Grobnar (one of the best npcs ever!).

Well first off I didn't realize I was hardcore hahaha if beating the vanilla game is the base line then yeah the expansions are totally hardcore (I also beat Storm of Zehir so... extra hardcore?).

I also find it funny that I had to Google Grobnar, but I can definitely agree on Kelgar - different impacts on different people I guess. Then again he's the only NPC I remember that you can actually develop through conversation rather than just reinforcing behaviors.

As for sales I remember hearing the sequel itself was disappointing never mind the subsequent expansions. For me, the original NWN felt like a D&D game in the vein of Diablo where you're essentially a solitary hero on an epic quest - or you're playing MP. NWN2 felt like a D&D version of Knights of the Old Republic - party based with romance and everything. It's not bad, just different, and I think that's where things kind of fall apart for me.

Also worth noting occasional poster Darks' Eye of the Beholder mod for the original NWN is one of the best mods you can get for the game.

News Comments > GOG.Com Winter Sale Includes Free NWN; Steam Sale Dated
13. Re: GOG.Com Winter Sale Includes Free NWN; Steam Sale Dated Dec 1, 2016, 16:26 panbient

Acleacius wrote on Dec 1, 2016, 15:50:
To the general thread, Mask of the Betrayer was lifeless compared to NWN2. There was no humor, hardly any emotional dialog I can recall atm. It's gameplay was really challenging, so it's only hardcore people who ever play it.

We'll have to agree to disagree as I thought the NWN2 campaign was the lifeless one - it's about as generic as it gets. Personally, I couldn't stand most of the original companions. Sorceress was a fantastic character stat-wise but insufferable otherwise - she stands out as one of the most annoying characters ever. The Spirit Bear on the other hand lives on as one of the greatest.

I also like that the story in MotB got really heady and existential, which I guess is not for everyone but I really liked it. Though I disagree that it was for hardcore players only. The biggest challenge was the Soul Harvest mechanic which became optional in a patch if I remember correctly.

But maybe my memories are deceiving me, I haven't played through it in a long while. Might be time to revisit.

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Dec 1, 2016, 14:23 panbient

shiho wrote on Dec 1, 2016, 07:42:
It certainly does not represent me as a conservative, or any other conservative I know.

See... this is the problem right here.

You're looking at the analysis of a group and expecting it to reflect you (or one of your accepted peers) as an individual.

683 Comments. 35 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo