Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for panbient

Real Name panbient   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname panbient
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description old school cranky pants gamer guy
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 18, 2011, 00:28
Total Comments 604 (Apprentice)
User ID 56226

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2015, 22:26 panbient

Kosumo wrote on Sep 22, 2015, 21:56:
[
And when people buy a new car every two years, yet the fact that it is losing thousands of dollars (or because of that) they are gaining money because most of them will be using it as a TAX write off, claiming the loss back as tax that they then don't have to pay/claim back.

This is how the capitalist system works, those who can afford the new car to start with, never pay for it due to the way they work the tax system. The way to work a company is to have no money but heaps of stuff that you have written off against tax.

What? Please please please explain to me how to make those claims on my next tax assessment. That would be freaking awesome... so long as it's not tax evasion or some kind of fraud. Kind of like how some people kind of blur that line by claiming their personal vehicle is a mandatory corporate expense or something.

Because the idea that somehow spending more money reduces the tax you pay on your income doesn't really make sense to my poor mind (since your amount of income doesn't change whether you save it or spend it). Generally speaking there are limits to the amount of charitable contributions etc that can be claimed as taxable deductions.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2015, 20:26 panbient

Task wrote on Sep 22, 2015, 19:55:
Citation please.

For which part? The space game angle where most major publishers don't seem to want to touch the genre? I suppose 'kill the genre' is a bit extreme but at the same time if this fails it's going to hurt it a lot (and it's not exactly thriving compared to other gaming genres).

Or do you mean the pay to win? Because that thing is firmly rooted in mobile gaming and absolutely not going away anytime soon. And so long as it's profitable on one side people will try making it work on the other.

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2015, 19:40 panbient

Julio wrote on Sep 22, 2015, 19:17:
Looking forward to RSI crashing and burning. Too bad for the space sim genre, but at least this might put an end to this kind of pay-to-win gaming.

As already stated it'll kill the space sim genre (which sucks for all of us who really just wanted a HD Privateer / Freespace / Freelancer style game).

But an end to pay to win gaming? Not even close. At all.

News Comments > DCS Mirage M-2000C Preorders
11. Re: DCS Mirage M-2000C Preorders Sep 19, 2015, 12:25 panbient

This news reminds me that I still haven't figured out how to take off with my A-10  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: AVG Sep 18, 2015, 15:45 panbient

Creston wrote on Sep 18, 2015, 12:34:
If anyone is still using AVG (and I can't fathom why, as it's terrible bloatware), get rid of it QUICK.

What do you recommend as an alternative?

News Comments > Star Wars: Battlefront to Feature Speeder Races
7. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront to Feature Speeder Races Sep 16, 2015, 22:13 panbient

Eirikrautha wrote on Sep 16, 2015, 21:05:
So, they are going to recreate the best part of the best movie for us: the podracing from Episode One. What a great idea!

Do I even need a sarcasm tag?

Uhh... that videogame was actually super freaking awesome back in the day. Especially on a LAN.

I'm totally in line with Flak for a HD re-release.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 15, 2015, 12:30 panbient

Dexter wrote on Sep 15, 2015, 12:12:
It seems like a strange business decision to abandon a group which spent the most money on hardware to play Rock Band, especially since they probably bought more than their fair share of DLC as well.

Yes and no, it's a very niche group of players after all, and the money spent on better hardware didn't provide any return to Harmonix either (they made 0 cents off the $2500 I spent on a Roland e-kit).

But I totally agree that anyone who would have invested in better gear would have likely been buying DLC on a semi-regular basis.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 15, 2015, 11:50 panbient

Count me as another Rock Band fan who's passing on the new title.

Online play was a definite factor in keeping my interest up for a long time. One thing to note with the 'existing song library' thing is that it doesn't support exporting the RB3 disc content 'yet'. The new setlist is also kind of lame, I can only think of 4, maybe 5 tracks off the top of my head that I'd buy as DLC. Also disappointed that even with MadCatz making the hardware there's no support for the midi pro adapter either.

And while Harmonix has been crappy at patching their product (PS3 has persistent crashing issues when connected regardless of whether or not you're actually playing online) they have been clear in calling RB4 a platform and implying future development. Though I think most of it is based on hope that it'll hit like it's 2008 again and that people are really into the party angle.

Speaking of party gaming has anyone here submitted a clip to be part of the Rock Band Road Crew thing?

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Sep 14, 2015, 20:04 panbient

A priest accused of murdering of an altar boy in 1910?

So you say "no, I didn't" then roll credits?

Pretty sure they'd get way more traction with the 'you performed an exorcism on an altar boy that has disappeared and only you can figure out what really happened' angle that they use further in their description.

The gameplay teaser is pretty, but boring. Oh look, a highly detailed hallway. And it changes from colour to black and white once you get to the end with more details popping up! Good thing it's been years since I played FEAR I guess. Though I'll admit it's kind of cool / freaky that they use my real name on the tombstones that pop up all over the place. Then again David isn't exactly uncommon (heck I'm sure I'm not the only one that posts here).

It looks like any number of hidden object / adventure games only with actual 3d navigation. Also a bit concerning that they claim to have made a bunch of other mobile games but I can't seem to find anything about them besides this one project. I'll be surprised if they even hit half of their target.

News Comments > Dragonís Dogma: Dark Arisen PC Plans
5. Re: Dragonís Dogma: Dark Arisen PC Plans Sep 8, 2015, 17:56 panbient

Rhett wrote on Sep 8, 2015, 17:20:
Ooooh, sweet. I really wanted to get into this on consoles but it had so many issues that come with Japan-developed games. Weird fonts, silly menus, black bars across the screen at all times... I hope it's improved for PC.

There was none of that when I played through it on PS3. At least not by the time Dark Arisen was included as part of the package.

Also the game is freaking great. Never did finish the expansion part (psn+ version expired before I got back into it).

News Comments > Laborious Metaverse
17. Re: Laborious Metaverse Sep 8, 2015, 09:37 panbient

Verno wrote on Sep 8, 2015, 09:07:
What's wrong with Youtube game videos? Plenty of funny and informative stuff up there. There are some games I don't want spoilers for but other things like Dark Souls/etc its fun to watch the kinds of builds and antics others get up to.

Agreed, all I hear when people complain about stuff like this is the new version of -

I don't understand why kids today are listening to that garbage instead of real rock and roll! Back in my day we played gee-tar the way the real gee-tar heroes told us to play. None of this new-fangled dub wub wub shtup crap! You can't play air gee-tar to that! How could anyone think that garbage is cool! Go back to listening to what I listened to back when TV was telling me I was cool and get the hell off my lawn!

News Comments > Evening Interviews
20. Re: Evening Interviews Sep 4, 2015, 10:14 panbient

El Pit wrote on Sep 4, 2015, 01:09:
To put it with the great Frank Zappa: The Torture Never Stops. Neither will the development of this game. One game to rule them all? Yeah, sure.

Great tune, but I think 'The Radio is Broken' really captures the whole SC phenomenon.

News Comments > Gilbert to Disney on Monkey Island Rights: "Call Me"
2. Re: Gilbert to Disney on Monkey Island Rights: Sep 4, 2015, 10:10 panbient

InBlack wrote on Sep 4, 2015, 09:34:
Mickey dont sell. Like Machete don't text.

Yeah I figure he's got a better chance of getting hired as a producer on a Monkey Island title than ever repurchasing the IP.

News Comments > Borderlands Movie Plans
15. Re: Borderlands Movie Plans Aug 29, 2015, 09:23 panbient

harlock wrote on Aug 28, 2015, 18:32:
btw the whole Handsome Jack character made me want to track down the writer and punch him in the brain.. voice actor didnt help at either

EVERYTHING with Borderlands 2 made me want to slaughter the writer whenever the shooting stopped. I'm still amazed at what this franchise became after being built on some of the strongest co-op gameplay out there. Maybe it's because I played it on a console / couch situation and had an easier chance to enjoy that possibility. Surviving a tough boss battle with your friends a few feet away and hollering the whole time before overcoming the challenge is something that neither a voice in a headset nor creative writing / scripting can ever replicate.

I don't figure it'll be SMB bad, but I'm expecting somewhere between Double Dragon and Doom. Maybe if we're lucky it'll be on par with Tank Girl.

News Comments > Satellite Reign Released
20. Re: Satellite Reign Released Aug 28, 2015, 16:38 panbient

I just hope there's a political assassination in a parade mission like in the original Syndicate. I tried a variety of ways to beat it. Finally settled on recruiting a new agent, giving them some kind of big gun and parking them in the middle of the parade path. Once the traffic stopped he opened fire and the chain reaction took out the target (and pretty much everything else on screen).

All while my more experienced team members nonchalantly walked to the mission exit zone while whistling a jaunty tune over a job well done.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
10. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 27, 2015, 12:40 panbient

ForgedReality wrote on Aug 27, 2015, 11:23:
I. FUCKING. HATE. THAT. NAME.

Why the fuck can't they call the first one "Divinity: Original Sin" and the second one "Divinity 2: Second Coming" or something? Dumb.

I liked the suggestion from a pcgamesn writer when the sequel was first teased - Divinity: Derivative Sin.

News Comments > "Do or Die" for Frozenbyte
3. Re: Aug 27, 2015, 10:48 panbient

Did they really need to shoot that in front of garbage cans? Just, I don't know, trade places with the camera and shoot against the side of a building.

And how much did they pay for the big Trine poster that got dumped around 6 minutes in?

Seriously, while I did feel bad for these guys initially this is getting ridiculous.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 26, 2015, 09:15 panbient

I think there's something else to be said about how radio went from being the main source of media distribution to the public and being thoroughly replaced by TV (and becoming a main source of music distribution) by the time Springsteen started releasing singles.  

News Comments > More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen
179. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 25, 2015, 19:19 panbient

{PH}88fingers wrote on Aug 25, 2015, 16:39:
Any court can have court marshals or the FTC or whatever send personnel to their many offices around the world and see that actual work is being done.
Which proves how utterly ridiculous this whole frivolous lawsuit is and I am baffled that someone self proclaimed intelligent and an expert in the field can argue otherwise.
That's Derek "Smart" for you right there.

Speaking of utterly ridiculous... the idea that a court would send out a Marshal to a video game studio. I know when you say Court Martial out loud it sounds the same, only it means something completely different (as in - it's a military court of law).

Maybe your thinking of the bailiff who is present in court in order to maintain order and security, or the sheriffs who are there when prisoners need to be transported. Also the FTC is an independent body that isn't directed by courts, hence being independent.

Google - helping people not sound utterly ridiculous since 1998.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity: The White March: Part I Released
24. Re: Pillars of Eternity: The White March: Part I Released Aug 25, 2015, 16:01 panbient

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Aug 25, 2015, 15:48:
-You probably can't beat that bear at the start that the guy talks to you about.

It depends on what you mean by 'at the start'.

If you're looking to fully clear the zone before moving on, then yeah you'll have difficulty as a solo fighter.

But... the next area is a town with sidequests to revisit that wildersness zone, and you can recruit a wizard in front of the Inn (or make NPCs). The blind spell is AoE and super awesome.

604 Comments. 31 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo