Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for panbient

Real Name panbient   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname panbient
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description old school cranky pants gamer guy
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 18, 2011, 00:28
Total Comments 628 (Apprentice)
User ID 56226

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunless Skies Announced
9. Re: Sunless Skies Announced Sep 26, 2016, 10:47 panbient

Really wanted to like Sunless Sea, really kind of hard to get into a text heavy game when you can barely read what's on screen though (especially in big picture mode / TV).

Seems font and UI scaling finally got fixed last week, too bad the free weekend was back in January.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
38. Re: What ever happened to Shareware? Sep 1, 2016, 11:28 panbient

Bub wrote on Sep 1, 2016, 07:58:
I guess that's what happens from when you move from making games because you love them and want them to be great to moving to corporate 'lets only market to the masses' mindset, forget enthusiasts, lets just rope in as many clods as we can.

Yes, it's because they sold-out. Right...

Nothing to do with the fact that the Duke Nukem 3d development team was all of 14 people - and now most modern games have bigger QA teams.

It's the same thing as music though. It's super easy to be passionate and 100% personally invested when it's only affecting a handful of people. But just like any other creative endeavor when you have success you start having more dependents and the ability to take risks diminishes. It's not about only marketing to the masses, it's about taking safer bets.

Or should the creative types continue to starve for their whole lives so the consumer can benefit from uncompromised artistic integrity (never mind the actual cost of the creative's well being).

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2016, 16:26 panbient

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 31, 2016, 14:41:
So you have a larger pool to cash in on now than at any other time in history.

Everyone else addressed the pricing thing.

That pool is now divided even more than it ever was. Like it or not mobile phones count for a large portion of the industry same as consoles. While the returns are much greater from a very high level perspective that doesn't mean it's a even increase across the board.

Using platforms like Unity is a necessity to be competitive now. UE only went 'free' after Unity established itself as a viable alternative. Otherwise, if memory serves me correctly, a commercial UE license was about a million a few years ago.

But again it all boils back down to personal responsibility. There's no reason for any company to not offer pre-orders. There's also no reason for a consumer to let themselves get suckered. If you have any doubts or are tight on money, then just don't pre-order.

I mean really, when is the last time there were actual shortages of physical copies at launch?

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2016, 13:14 panbient

I still don't get what the real issue is, or is the gaming public just really this far up their own asses?

The public (generally speaking) keeps demanding higher quality products and chose to support specific franchises but are not comfortable with an increase in price to support the increased cost of development to meet their expected quality. Until very recently the price of a new video game had been stagnant at $60 for about 3 decades. What other industry has gone that long without increasing the average cost of its base product? Especially considering the increase in quality.

The developers need a way to make ends meet. Offering a higher priced version to those willing to pay should make it easier to balance the costs of the production. It's unfortunate when a highly publicized release falls short, but not every game offering pre-orders is Alien Colonial Marines.

Ultimately it's up to the consumer to vote with their wallet and unfortunately for a lot of the complainers, the market / industry / phenomena of video games has grown to be substantially bigger than the romanticized memories of pc master race grognards remembering a version of gaming that never existed outside of their own perceptions.

TLDR - Stop blaming any industry and take responsibility for your own spending habits.

News Comments > Star Citizen Alpha 2.5 Nears
20. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.5 Nears Aug 7, 2016, 21:01 panbient

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 17:11:
[url=L
panbient wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 16:38:

I still think the absolute greatest thing about the entire game development / phenomena / whatever was the pic of that one poster's pants from a convention last year. Seriously, those pants were amazing.

you mean http://imgur.com/a/DdDo3
from yikes those pants

YES!!!

News Comments > Star Citizen Alpha 2.5 Nears
16. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.5 Nears Aug 7, 2016, 16:38 panbient

{PH}88fingers wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 12:51:
I'm curious where all the professional arm char developers are, always love hearing their massive expertise in game making and how after 4 years we should have had the best game ever by now.

I'm guessing most people who haven't put money into this have gotten bored of it by now. 4 years later gamers have other options.

I still think the absolute greatest thing about the entire game development / phenomena / whatever was the pic of that one poster's pants from a convention last year. Seriously, those pants were amazing.

News Comments > Grim Dawn Crucible Mode DLC Released
7. Re: Grim Dawn Crucible Mode DLC Released Aug 4, 2016, 11:12 panbient

I'm glad to see this released and will be getting it soon. Got stuck in the warden's cellar on Ultimate and kept getting nuked by a Storm Scion or something like that a while ago. Had some kind of teleport powers and essentially a one-shot kill, even with near max lightning resist. Haven't tried since the new patch though.

Still really wish there was a way to better preview builds - or at least some way to reset the class points when respecing. I don't mind committing to two classes, but I think you should be able to reassign your class points (not just skill) so that you can better try the combined skill sets and find a build that works for you. Rather than either committing 100 skill points to unlocking both trees or rolling a duplicate character and focusing on the alternate class.

News Comments > More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney
32. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 26, 2016, 12:09 panbient

here are my 2 cents

1 - I have 3 days left on the offer... should I bother upgrading?

2 - Do people really think MS cares about the gaming market more than the corporate office market as far as OS functionality is concerned? From a corporate perspective something like UWP makes a lot more sense - as just about anyone who's ever fought with conflicting versions of legacy software to address someone's refusal or inability to upgrade from some antique piece of technology will attest.

Seriously, by the time 2020 rolls around I don't think I should have to deal with command line interface applications in an office setting (as a clerk!) anymore.

News Comments > System Shock Remaster Becomes a Reboot
2. Re: System Shock Remaster Becomes a Reboot Jun 24, 2016, 20:03 panbient

... and *long disappointed sigh*  

News Comments > Sword Coast Legends: Rage of Demons DLC Released
13. Re: Sword Coast Legends: Rage of Demons DLC Released May 19, 2016, 20:27 panbient

Jagacademy wrote on May 19, 2016, 12:22:
panbient wrote on May 19, 2016, 06:03:
Quinn wrote on May 19, 2016, 01:31:

People like you are a mystery to me. Buying a game but not playing it because you have to make a silly little account by filling in 2 things. Is this a big brother principle thing or really what the fuck?

Plus it's not like it doesn't clearly state that you need a 3rd party Sword Coast Legends account in a highlighted box right there on the store page... just right there next to the 'Add to Cart' button...

I have purchased over 350 games on Steam, and I think perhaps 2 of them required setting up an account, and they were both multiplayer only games.

Sorry, not going to for your single player campaign. Shouldn't have to. Company made stupid decisions, went out of business. Champion them all you want, you can attend Business 101 with them for a few years, and help them on their next venture.

So even after having made over 350 purchases you still can't be bothered to pay attention to the details of the product you're spending money on? Twice?

Are you trolling or just dumb?

News Comments > Sword Coast Legends: Rage of Demons DLC Released
6. Re: Sword Coast Legends: Rage of Demons DLC Released May 19, 2016, 06:03 panbient

Quinn wrote on May 19, 2016, 01:31:

People like you are a mystery to me. Buying a game but not playing it because you have to make a silly little account by filling in 2 things. Is this a big brother principle thing or really what the fuck?

Plus it's not like it doesn't clearly state that you need a 3rd party Sword Coast Legends account in a highlighted box right there on the store page... just right there next to the 'Add to Cart' button...

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. May 6, 2016, 06:09 panbient

Oh man I remember getting Silent Thunder A-10 Tank Killer 2 with a video card back in the day. Had some serious fun with that. Not sure what they mean by "the flight model is... not good" though. I mean just because you could basically stop in the sky and use your flaps to rotate like a helicopter doesn't make it bad... right?  

News Comments > Romero's BLACKROOM Kickstarter Paused
52. Re: Romero's BLACKROOM Kickstarter Paused Apr 29, 2016, 19:17 panbient

Wasn't iD basically the company that more or less invented the concept of a game demo?

If they're actually serious about this (and not the very much more likely stoner theory 2 posts below...) then this was probably just a demo KS to test the waters. $130k in a week on name alone isn't horrible. It's enough to know there's some recognition / interest and a valid reason to proceed with actually making a 'real' game demo.

They definitely spent some time and effort building a substantial crowdfunding pitch. But I figure they would probably face some sort of issue if they openly used KS to do free market research prior to continuing actual work (because it's way more fun to just pass the bong and 'conceptualize').

News Comments > Evening Interviews
1. Re: Evening Interviews Apr 27, 2016, 05:53 panbient

Oh Romero... have we really reached the point where middle aged has-beens are clamouring for a return to the glory days of their digital youths same as mulleted cheeseballs calling for a return to 'real' rock and roll!!! from a few decades ago?  

News Comments > Game Reviews
4. Re: Game Reviews Apr 18, 2016, 19:54 panbient

I just finished the main story to Grim Dawn this past weekend and I can definitely see the need for a better stash solution. Especially for anyone who wants to keep grinding bounties.

Not sure about the money thing though, haven't seen or felt it yet (level 50). I did filter out non-magical items really early on though, so buying out the stash space was never really an issue. Now I just need to convince myself to load up a different character haha

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
3. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Mar 24, 2016, 06:05 panbient

Total-Khaos wrote on Mar 24, 2016, 00:19:
People who play Rock Band style games these days are the folks who bought the Nintendo Wii and are way behind the times.

No. People who play Rock Band today are the niche players who continued to purchase DLC on the regular and replaced their instruments as many times as necessary along the way. That and karaoke fans. What other option scratches that same itch?

Harmonix dropped the ball and decided to try catering to the masses like it's still 2008.

I will admit their whole crowdfunding / investment angle was interesting and I've considered the investment side. I'm just not confident enough in the current product at this point.

I was also under the impression their campaign only showed the amount of money pledged from the crowdfunding side and not the actual investment side. So they might be closer to their goal than appears.

Either way having to repurchase all my old DLC is a deal breaker (at least not without a significant discount).

News Comments > UnderRail Released
7. Re: UnderRail Released Dec 19, 2015, 07:52 panbient

I'm glad to see there are owners here on BN but has anyone actually played it yet?

The video looks good and it's been on my Steam wishlist for a while now but I agree with Cutter, that font hurts my crappy eyes. Apparently it's possible to scale the font but not the UI (yet) though the devs are apparently aware and working on it. It seems to be a common complaint on the Steam forums (can't say I blame them). I'll be holding off until it's addressed, while the dialog itself seems 'legible' that action / combat log is just gibberish.

News Comments > Rock Band VR Announced
7. Re: Rock Band VR Announced Dec 5, 2015, 09:48 panbient

Oculus Rift support? Still no regular online play yet. No importing RB3 content to the current product. Drums are still problematic out of the box (I know latency / calibration issues are on the list of fixes for next week's update but whether or not it's good enough is yet to be determined).

So, yes Harmonix... get cracking on VR... fucking genius priorities right there.

News Comments > Into the Black
19. Re: Into the Black Nov 14, 2015, 11:01 panbient

Cutter wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 20:37:
Right, and if there had been armed people at that concert hall maybe it wouldn't have been a bloodbath because the terrorists would have rightfully had their lives ended before they got going. Sounds good to me.

Are you actually advocating for armed guards in every public place? Because the alternative seems far more insane. In the heat of the moment when one person starts shooting at another and then someone else starts firing and then a different person pulls out another gun and someone else is getting shot and more guns start appearing in hands. Who do you shoot at? How can you really know who's trying to kill rather than survive?

Though I do agree with your other comment about eliminating ISIS at its head as reasoning with them seems impossible.

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 22:41:
Fucking CNN: "There is no credible or specific threat in the United States" NO FUCKING SHIT, a Heavy Metal Concert in PARIS was attacked. A soccer/football game was attacked, why the fuck would it have anything to do with us?!?

The Eagles of Death Metal are not a metal band nor was it a metal show, but they are an American band (and a super fun old school rock and roll one to boot). People were there to dance and have fun. If I lived in France I would have been at that show. There's also always the possibility that there could have been a more coordinated plan as well, give it a few hours while all the attention is focused across the pond then start new incidents in another nation.

News Comments > Steam Hardware Launches
18. Re: Steam Hardware Launches Nov 11, 2015, 10:45 panbient

descender wrote on Nov 11, 2015, 10:35:
The battery compartment has a slide switch that pops it off? Not sure if it was always that way but definitely not hard to take off. Getting the batteries out definitely takes a little more force if you don't push the tabs in the proper direction.

I've been using the gamepad to control windows outside of the Steam BPM and it works flawlessly so I'm not anticipating any trouble playing Civ5 or an RTS. Haven't decided if I like it set as trackball or mouse control yet but its perfectly accurate in either mode. I will definitely configure Civ5 later and let you know how it works out.

Cool, thanks for the insight. Figure I'll try my luck at getting one over the weekend.

628 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo