Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
United Kingdom 06/02

Regularly scheduled events

User information for panbient

Real Name panbient   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname panbient
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description old school cranky pants gamer guy
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 18, 2011, 00:28
Total Comments 670 (Apprentice)
User ID 56226

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
38. Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2017, 19:06 panbient

Asmodai wrote on May 18, 2017, 17:21:
Don't often get effected by news of famous folk departing the mortal coil, but Chris Cornell is one of my all time faves and will be sorely missed.

He broke his rusty cage and ran. = (

This. As selfish as it sounds there was always a little part of me that thought I'd someday get to see Soundgarden in concert. Guess not.

An accidental overdose I could understand, but suicide by hanging, I just can't.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation May 17, 2017, 20:56 panbient

Pretty sure the only way Led Zeppelin will show up in RockBand is after both Robert Plant and Jimmy Page die. Page for certain - he's openly disparaged rhythm games and would rather see young people pick up the actual instruments as opposed to providing an opportunity for those young people to transition from virtual to actual instruments.

And Plant, well anytime anyone has asked him a direct face to face question about Led Zep he rolls his eyes harder than pretty much anyone ever.

Now, if this was an opportunity to re-re-re-remaster the catalog from the 70s so they could sell it all over again. Well... in that case Page would be all over it (again).

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed May 16, 2017, 20:39 panbient

"Your drug dealer is not your friend. Dope is not healthy."

... hasn't stopped anyone yet. Good way to get clicks though.

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. May 10, 2017, 20:18 panbient

eRe4s3r wrote on May 10, 2017, 18:35:
I always thought a company wasn't allowed to lie to investors.. how is that investor to feel now that Kotaku released the info that EA is withholding? That's some super strange way to communicate...

TL;DR, Bioware Montreal is downsized support team now, and ME:A on cooldown indefinitely. It's just like EA to waste Bioware talent on yet another shitty MMO though. But I guess not a lot of good scifi and character writers are still at Bioware anyway.

Btw, if you wanna have a good laugh, google ME:A alpha vs release comparision. Game looked better (I mean a shit-ton better) than whatever cut-down downsized thing they released here. They literally removed nearly a dozen advanced graphic features, entire animations, entire already recorded and extremely well done facial performances, including nvidia gameworks ENTIRELY too. How the holy fuck does that happen, did they change engines mid development???? Sounds to me like ME.A was actually cut down and reduced very late late in development to get anything at all working and released...

In my very limited experience cuts like that happen to support lower end hardware. All of a sudden about midway through development you get a real list of the lowest end system the publisher wants the product to operate on, then it's on the developers to figure out how to make that happen without extending the timeline. The only effective way to do that is to start cutting higher end features (since adding additional graphic options requires substantially more testing and time).

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
9. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 24, 2017, 19:54 panbient

Acleacius wrote on Apr 24, 2017, 01:19:
panbient wrote on Apr 23, 2017, 20:49:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 23, 2017, 19:41:
I think we're getting to the point where court rulings for things like this are ultimately pointless. "You can't have subtitles because they're illegal!" "Uh, so? I can download them from a server hosted where it isn't illegal."

How does this make any sense? It's like saying you won't be busted for having pot because you bought it in a state where it was legal to purchase as if it trumps possession laws.
No it's not, you can't be arrested for pot in a state where it's legal, by state and local authorities. Legal allows possession. So who's not making sense?

I read the original statement to be on par with if it's illegal to get it here I'll just get it from where it's legal (as in download from a server in another jurisdiction) and then I won't have hassles. As in - if I'm in a state where pot possession is illegal, I'll just buy it from Colorado and thumb my nose at the local law in any other state because I'm that special.

Make sense now?

And what honest profits are there from unauthorized subtitles for pirated media? How do the creators profit from that in a worthwhile manner even if the audience expands?

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
25. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Apr 23, 2017, 21:33 panbient

jdreyer wrote on Apr 22, 2017, 13:55:
John Deere just told the copyright office that only corporations can own property, humans can only license it.

Welcome to the corporatocracy. Here's the distillation of the article:

GM went so far as to argue locking people out helps innovation. That’s like saying locking up books will inspire kids to be innovative writers, because they won’t be tempted to copy passages from a Hemingway novel. Meanwhile, outside of Bizarroland, actual technology experts—including the Electronic Frontier Foundation—have consistently labeled the DMCA an innovation killer. They insist that, rather than stopping content pirates, language in the DMCA has been used to stifle competition and expand corporate control over the life (and afterlife) of products.

Funny, that DMCA complaint pretty much sums up the entirety of the complaints about the Canadian Radio and Tele-Communication Canadian Content laws. Initially intended to promote and support Canadian media instead it turned into "here's your once an hour Bryan Adams / Barenaked Ladies / Celine Dion / Shania Twain / Tragically Hip / Guess Who song".

New material? Oh, no no no, that would be risky and people might not instantly recognize it as inherently Canadian. If you want real success in Canadian media you bleach your white bread until it shines then tattoo a Maple Leaf on your face just the same as the old guys did decades ago.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
4. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 23, 2017, 20:49 panbient

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 23, 2017, 19:41:
I think we're getting to the point where court rulings for things like this are ultimately pointless. "You can't have subtitles because they're illegal!" "Uh, so? I can download them from a server hosted where it isn't illegal."

How does this make any sense? It's like saying you won't be busted for having pot because you bought it in a state where it was legal to purchase as if it trumps possession laws.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2017, 17:58 panbient

jdreyer wrote on Apr 22, 2017, 14:03:
And here's how they caught them:

“When a lot of the fake peer reviews first came up, one of the reasons the editors spotted them was that the reviewers responded on time,” Wager told Ars. Reviewers almost always have to be chased, so “this was the red flag. And in a few cases, both the reviews would pop up within a few minutes of each other.”

Hilarious.

Reminds me of a major drug bust in Quebec a few years ago when the cops got lucky on a random traffic stop. The reason they pulled the driver over in the first place?

They were going the speed limit and using their turn signals, which seemed suspicious for a driver with Quebec plates on Quebec roads.

Not even half joking, that's the line they gave to the press.

News Comments > Everything Released
7. Re: Everything Released Apr 22, 2017, 17:49 panbient

The naming of this game reminds me of PCU - an old David Spade / Jeremy Piven college movie from the 90s right about now. At one point Piven and his crew need to stage a concert to save their frat house. So what do they name the band in order to draw the most attention?

Everyone Gets Laid.

News Comments > New AMD Drivers
1. Re: New AMD Drivers Apr 18, 2017, 20:15 panbient

And still no actual implementation of the options to stop checking and automatically downloading updates for legacy users... Thanks AMD!  

News Comments > Diablo III Season 10 Begins
6. Re: Diablo III Season 10 Begins Apr 1, 2017, 19:49 panbient

It's also nice that a Season finally comes to the PS4 as well for those of us who prefer the lazy couch version.  

News Comments > StarCraft II Skins Previewed
3. Re: StarCraft II Skins Previewed Mar 24, 2017, 14:12 panbient

hello newman wrote on Mar 24, 2017, 10:23:
buy a skin for 2 bucks...
that's so sad

the reason i got into games was because back in the day games were an art form they were expressing stuff about us humans.

nowadays it's a BS dumb-entertainment-as-a-service freeforall...

So... like absolutely every other form of popular art EVER?

Seriously though, this reaction to DLC is getting foolish. It's like gamer opinion on DLC has come full circle to shove itself firmly up its own ass.

Horse armor in Skyrim? OUTRAGE!!!! It's just cosmetic and doesn't add anything!!!

Ok, fine - here are mini-campaigns for Borderlands. WAHHHH!!!! Why should I have to pay for extra content when I bought the main game!!! This is bullshit!!!! If the companies want to make money on DLC monetize the stuff that doesn't actually affect gameplay like cosmetic updates...

And now - here's ALL the gameplay stuff but extra skins and emotes for multiplayer will cost you extra. FUCK YOU!!!! I PAID FOR SOMETHING ONCE AND SHOULD NEVER EVER HAVE TO PAY FOR ANYTHING AGAIN!!!!

News Comments > etc.
12. Re: On Sale Mar 18, 2017, 09:52 panbient

Kxmode wrote on Mar 17, 2017, 20:24:
What I have a problem with is BioWare (and by extension EA) keeping him employed when they know of his constant racist and violent expressions: For example, "Justice is not the same as legal. The law is not always just. The US deserves no peace until it acts upon the moral imperative to be just."

That statement is true, it is valid, it is not at all racist, and it is something the majority of western individuals should actually learn both young and old.

Here in Canada we've had a few incidents recently that have underscored this issue. Two summers ago Jian Gomeshi (a well respected and recognized CBC personality) was charged with violent sexual assault. He was represented by one of the absolute best acting defense lawyers in Canada and cleared of charges. His career is still over. He was still vilified by the public.

His lawyer, Marie Henein, tried to speak to various universities afterwards to discuss the impact of the case. The fact that a woman represented a man accused of abusing other women and got him off the charges. Not because she thought he was necessarily innocent. But specifically that there IS a difference between justice and legal law. What the individuals feel is right or fair is not always reflected in the laws of the land but if you disrespect the process and judicial system we revert back to mob justice. ANY accused is innocent until proven guilty, regardless of how heinous the accusation may sound.

Our next generation of higher learning big thinkers shut her down. They protested just the idea of even letting her visit the campus. Not because she upheld the law and respected the system and wanted to address that reality and how to effectively make changes. But because she didn't take their idealistic side and try to crucify the perceived villain. There were claims she rolled back feminism by decades... by being a incredibly strong legal mind that functioned beyond her boobs?

The States (and the rest of the western world) are in a new time of social strife. They will not have peace until they address WHY the strife is happening, not only that it's happening. And most of it is a broken and unbalanced legal system. It's like working for a boss who brings in pop and chips to 'address' low morale with their staff then wonders why morale is still low. What legitimate effort is being made to truly rectify the situation and why should they get actual peace until they do so?

In my eyes anyone upset with his statement is more upset about the fact that he's pointing out how it is rather than how they'd rather see it through the tiny little holes in their cracker bunker.

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Mar 18, 2017, 09:24 panbient

jdreyer wrote on Mar 18, 2017, 04:42:
El Pit wrote on Mar 18, 2017, 04:20:
The Kinks are as important to Brit music as the Beatles, Stones, Who! This is a very deserved knighthood!

Whoa, whoa, whoa. NO love for Bowie? No love for Mercury??

I can't speak for El Pit but I'd say you're comparing bands and individual artists at that point. It's not that one is better than the other, just different. Freddie Mercury is easily one of the absolute best frontmen ever, but is Queen really that great of a band compared to The Stones, or The Who?

Granted The Kinks are rather basic in regards to their technical proficiency (then again so are The Stones) but that's part of what makes them special. They might not have gotten as much praise and attention as their peers back in their day (they were basically the proto-punk version of Oasis brotherly fisticuffs and all) but they were definitely one of the pioneers in power chord driven rock and roll.

I really wonder what a more modern band like the Queens of the Stone Age would sound like if The Kinks (and all the bands that in turn reflected their influence) had never existed.

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Mar 18, 2017, 09:13 panbient

jdreyer wrote on Mar 17, 2017, 23:20:
The first five words, "Kinks frontman Sir Ray Davies..." gave me a sinking feeling. Glad the rest of the sentence was good news!

You're not alone there - had the exact same reaction. Considering so much of our pop culture is rooted in the middle of the last century it does stand to reason we'd be getting bad news a lot more often though.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000 - Eternal Crusade Free Edition Launched
6. Re: Warhammer 40,000 - Eternal Crusade Free Edition Launched Mar 17, 2017, 15:14 panbient

BANDAI NAMCO says this does not make it a free-to-play game, apparently trying to avoid the stigma this carries.

Ironic that I still use Bandai Namco's F2P Soul Calibur attempt as a prime example of how to do it wrong. Then they did it again with F2P Tekken.

The 'stigma' is part of their own doing.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 13, 2017, 12:48 panbient

Cutter wrote on Mar 13, 2017, 11:14:

I'm also sick of these bullshit millenial articles when they only really apply to a tiny group of people who live in a major city where everything is fiercely competitive and expensive. There's plenty of other work to be had in all kinds of places, but no, they don't want to move to those places. There's plenty of good paying work in the trades but no that's hard work. This is entirely an issue of their own making. I come from a family of tradesmen. My nephews and their buddies never lack for work, make great money, own their own house, truck, tools, yada yada yada. Listen up kids, the world owes you nothing. Work sucks. That's why it's called work and not 'super happy fun time'.

Here's the flipside to your own bullshit.

I'm a college educated Canadian. I've been on the job hunt for a few months now - again - same as every other year or so. Only this time around I can no longer get a callback. It's not a lack of job postings or a lack of effort either. I'm honestly starting to think there's something broken in the system that doesn't connect people effectively anymore. You can't accept a job that doesn't get offered to you. Do HR people google / facebook first then consider looking at a resume second now?

And NO I'm not waiting on some kind of ideal career. I'm just looking to pay the bills. At this point I'm honestly considering putting groceries on shelves again. Same as I did as a teenager. Only now I'm 40 and graduated college twice in both French and English - which makes me look like a risky hire who won't stick around a minimum wage job. But all it's ever gotten me is a heavier plate with a side of ass kissing for the same pay as some slacker who barely got through high school.

You're right there's plenty of great jobs in trades. From a family of tradespeople too - all about lumber. But do you remember the message we all got in the early 90s? Technology, technology TECHNOLOGY!!!!

And then what happened in the early 2000s? Oh geez, the IT bubble burst. Well why the hell did you study technology dumbass? Trades are the future. What? You thought you were too good to get your hands dirty? Just because absolutely everyone around you, family, society, economy all pushed towards a different direction?

At least millenials are getting a straight answer instead of incessant bullshit. It might suck to hear but at least they're not being blamed for having followed the path presented to them.

Either way, our future is fucked.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2017, 13:48 panbient

Absolutely NO ONE needs an "I told you so" about Lyme Disease, especially not some bullshit religious text version of it either.

What we have needed are medical professionals willing to honestly consider Lyme Disease as an actual possibility within North Americans. It's less of an issue in the States but holy hell doctors in Canada will go to extreme lengths FOR YEARS to avoid testing people.

No - fuck you doctor it's not just fucking depression!@!!

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 23, 2017, 17:51 panbient

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 12:25:
Meaning a malicious site/tracking pixel can read out all TLS encoded sites you visited

So finally time to ditch Firefox and get Chrome? Or is there a better browser for Win10?

I've been noticing FF getting more and more bloated over the last few months. Just flipping between tabs tends to be an exercise in patience now.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
14. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 19, 2017, 09:54 panbient

Slick wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 15:00:
Disney sponsors a gamer youtube personality. Who's the fool here?

If they expected him to change the tone of what he does, then they're sorely misinformed about the reason he's so popular.

Well... Kevin Smith is also part of that Maker Studio mix. And from what I remember back in the day if food wasn't going into his mouth the word fuck was coming out of it.

Yet, not hearing any sort of hassles with him

I don't think it's that Disney expected him to change his tone, they just didn't expect him to go full-retard. It's not the early 90s anymore you can't claim "I didn't think they'd do something shocking on the internet for a dollar" as a defense anymore - at all.

670 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo