Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for panbient

Real Name panbient   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname panbient
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description old school cranky pants gamer guy
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 18, 2011, 00:28
Total Comments 695 (Apprentice)
User ID 56226

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
13. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 15, 2017, 09:45 panbient

Choobeastia wrote on Oct 14, 2017, 21:40:
All of this is moot, really. The real point is that even if we do not agree, it costs nothing to be understanding of a group choosing to stand up against bullies. At the same time, we only diminish ourselves by demeaning them.

Well said.

Also with that roller coaster example -

A person scared of heights might try a roller coaster in an effort to get over their phobia and grow as a person.

Twitter offers nothing of the sort.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Grim Dawn: Ashes of Malmouth Released
12. Re: Grim Dawn: Ashes of Malmouth Released Oct 13, 2017, 10:02 panbient

Quinn wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 02:27:
I was a Soldier/Nightblade with lots of talents in regeneration-by-attacks. I was a proc-king at first: basic attacks procced moves that obliterated swaths of enemies. And then I started New Game+, one difficulty up.
I got oneshotted.

That's the build I'm using for my hardcore character (sword and shield focus). From what I've gathered Normal mode is for casual anything goes builds. Elite requires a solid grasp of the underlying resistance / damage type systems with appropriate gear and offensive focus. Then Ultimate (which I'll confess I haven't grinded up to... even after 300+ hours) is where I figure the Skill and Devotion allocations become critical.

There are two other things to keep in mind when moving up to higher difficulties. First all your resistances drop by a substantial amount (50% if I remember right) and pretty much all enemies will hit with some sort of additional effect. Then there's the fact that the next difficulty unlocks after completing the main story boss but there's more end game content afterwards (and more opportunities for legendary drops).

Without seeing your gear and how you spent your Skill and Devotion points it's kind of hard to say why you died so quickly. Soldier has some great passives to jack up your defense and Nightblade has good debuffs.

And finally, don't ever spend more than a handful of points in Spirit unless you're playing a caster type. I'm currently at level 71 and I've only added 2 or 3.

News Comments > Grim Dawn: Ashes of Malmouth Released
5. Re: Grim Dawn: Ashes of Malmouth Released Oct 12, 2017, 09:48 panbient

Creston wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 23:55:
So I picked up the main game today for 7ish bucks. Any suggestions on a fun build?

Depends on what you like but there are options for just about every play style. There are loads of references and Steam guides that can help but from my own experiences...

If you like playing a tank style you'll want to pair up the Soldier class. Soldier / Shaman is a beast. Soldier / Nightblade is quite a lot of fun too but becomes squishy later on. Soldier / Demolitionist should be quite effective as well (thinking this is what I'll be trying with the expansion).

If you prefer summoning pets you'll be looking at pairing the Occultist. Not all classes get summons but if I remember right the Occultist can have three just from their skill tree. There doesn't seem to be a limit either, so different pieces of gear and class pairings can result in a substantial posse of critters.

Big picture, there are options for every playstyle out there and on Normal difficulty anything is viable. It's only once you start into higher difficulties that you really need to start considering resistances and focusing gear towards specific damage types. There's quite a bit of potential depth to character / gear builds if you want to head down that rabbit hole.

One last thing to keep in mind, the option to re-spec your character is limited. As you level up you get a few points to spend on either Class or Skill points. Class points will provide bigger boosts to your stats and unlock more powerful skills. Skill points can be reclaimed but Class points are permanent but with the new level cap that likely becomes less of a factor.

Overall if you played Titan Quest back in the day a lot of this will feel familiar. Personally, I thought TQ was the next best thing after Diablo 2 and Grim Dawn just delivers more of the same.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 27, 2017, 14:51 panbient

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 27, 2017, 10:35:
That a boy, what a piece of shit.
tRump, rewriting Real news one deletion at a time.

I wonder about this though. I'm not at all doubting that he deleted the tweets from his live account nor am I disagreeing with your PoS assessment.

But as POTUS isn't anything he says to the public supposed to be cataloged? I would assume his tweets are collected as they go live somewhere, I mean even the article has backups. So these actions should really only benefit his ego and his blindest followers.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 26, 2017, 19:38 panbient

He was 16-17 at the time of the crimes which makes him a minor in the eyes of the law.

Generally speaking the crime has to be pretty heinous and demonstrate callous disregard for life for a minor to be tried as an adult. Odds are had anyone been inadvertently shot as a result of the swatting incidents this would have had a very different outcome.

I guess we'll find out next year if he's really smartened up or just played the good boy card for a gullible judge.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2017, 19:11 panbient

jdreyer wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 18:40:
Brilliant protest at Capitol Hill today. The optics of dragging wheelchair bound protestors out by force does not cast the Congress in a good light.

Also, better send the army into Puerto Rico. The devastated island will be unable to cope for months. Does Trump even realize that PR is part of the US?

Why do you think he keeps tweeting about football instead? #looktheotherway

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Sep 23, 2017, 10:00 panbient

Hoop wrote on Sep 22, 2017, 19:46:
And Dusty Rhodes of zz top who likes to cross dress is actually Dusty Springfield...he/she went on to record some of the most iconic eclipse of the moon songs ever for a brief time in the eighties.
Thats why you have & will never see both on the same stage at he same time
, eclipse or not.

The bass player for ZZ Top is Dusty Hill. Dusty Rhodes was a wrestler.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 21, 2017, 15:25 panbient

xLith wrote on Sep 21, 2017, 13:01:
Most decent keyboards have a switch to disable the windows button. It's 2017. I'm sure we could figure a way around it being a problem.

What does a keyboard from 2017 have to do with a feature Gates would have liked to have back in Windows 3.0?

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 21, 2017, 12:29 panbient

Holy crap she's dressed like an old video game sprite with a torso that isn't supposed to be displayed when rendered.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 21, 2017, 12:22 panbient

Jivaro wrote on Sep 21, 2017, 10:36:
Think of all the rookie MMO players that wouldn't have been pranked if the Ctrl-Alt-Delete was single button though!

Yeah... pranks.

Consider how many times you've accidentally pressed the Windows button while in a game and had the Start menu pop up over the action. Only instead of a minor inconvenience it's a full system reboot.

Gates might be a genius but that's a horrible idea.

News Comments > Star Citizen 3.0 "Akin to Early Access"
11. Re: Star Citizen 3.0 Sep 11, 2017, 12:42 panbient

So if version 3.0 is essentially 'Early Access' grade.

Does this mean a demo version will be called the XXL version?

News Comments > On Windows 10 Game Stuttering
6. Re: On Windows 10 Game Stuttering Sep 11, 2017, 12:40 panbient

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 11, 2017, 12:12:

Likely that's what is happening. And depending on your card(nvidia or amd), there's also an app that does the same thing. So now they're fighting for resources. Plus razer's app does it as well.

This is exactly what I've been dealing with for the last year courtesy of both MS and AMD. It doesn't seem to matter how many times I deactivate the DVR garbage it gets started again with any update.

Same as it doesn't seem to matter how many times I uncheck the 'download automatically' option for Radeon drivers (I'm on legacy hardware) it still keeps ignoring the actual user options and automatically downloading the update.

Here's the kicker. Even if I do -NOT- install the AMD update (which I don't). That DVR crap seems to reinitialize and activate itself whenever the OS recognizes just a potential driver update.

Easiest check / solution I've found is to launch DotA2 every couple of weeks just to verify the DVR activity. DotA will return a warning on launch that it can negatively impact your performance and give you an option to disable the 'feature' (which still requires a system reboot).

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
12. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 17, 2017, 07:23 panbient

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 16, 2017, 22:32:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 16, 2017, 21:39:
ledhead1969 wrote on Aug 16, 2017, 21:04:
I'm glad you all disagree with net neutrality.

"First they came for the Nazis..."

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

If all they wanted was an equal voice then sure. But there's a huge difference between white supremacists defending the lifestyle they chose and defending the actual life of a non-white American who's life (not style but literal living existence) is actually threatened by the lifestyle the other side is trying to 'protect'.

It's almost like they completely forgot the American territory was not originally white -at all-.

There seems to be something fundamentally flawed in the fabric of society where a substantial portion of the population seem to draw a narrower focus as they look out at the 'big picture'. People who rail against globalists because they aren't trying to skew everything to their personal benefit. And in that same way they're blowing political correctness beyond the pale to the point where they're using the concept to justify continuing to indirectly support oppression and hate.

Or did anyone actually manage to find a 'very fine' torch carrier from the recent Virginia marches who could speak with words worth hearing in regards to the value of preserving confederate statues? Yes, history is important to remember, it's important to learn from the mistakes of the past. No one seems to be saying that. They all seem to be going on about protecting the history that justifies and supports the ideology that allows them to continue believing the failures of their lives is due to the 'other' that somehow things would be better if they went back to how it was. They all seem to want to go back rather than learn from - that's a problem.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 31, 2017, 18:50 panbient

William Rubin wrote on Jul 31, 2017, 17:44:
And there's the problem with bad employers right there. Instead of wasting money on that sort of nonsense pay/treat your employees better and you won't have to worry about them quitting.

No, that's the problem with corporate America. Companies are arguably legally bound to do nothing but seek and maximize profit, so there is no reason to consider whether or not profit-seeking causes any harm to society, the environment, or in cases like these, employees.

Incidentally I had this same conversation with a co-worker this very morning. I don't think it's necessarily specific to corporate America so much as the concept of work / life balance with employees. Personally I see them as two separate entities like if you were making a meal you would have meat and potatoes balanced on your plate. Meanwhile other people seem to approach the balance like they're making a stew and there's no real line between the elements they're just 'balanced' within each other. In my experience those type of employees also seem to regard the workplace as an extension of their personal / social being and, for lack of better terms, start looking at the workplace kind of like a group home / hangout spot.

Ultimately it's a balancing act for the company as well. You do need to treat your employees well otherwise they'll just move onto your competition. But at the same time there's a difference between treating well and coddling.

A company operating with your attitude wouldn't last a quarter.

News Comments > Dota 2 Secret Shop Closes
1. Re: Dota 2 Secret Shop Closes Jul 19, 2017, 21:38 panbient

Some of those figures look cool but I don't understand why none of those MOBA game stores offer custom pieces based off user's characters.

Like make a 3d model of MY Razor or Spirit Breaker or whoever. Not some default config or some 'cute' plushy. Personally I wouldn't mind a Razor fig based on my own config to stand next to my Vault Boy and Marcus bobble heads (looking over to the side of my desk and they're both nodding enthusiastically at the idea of a 3rd musketeer).

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 16, 2017, 18:34 panbient

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 16, 2017, 14:37:
Cutter, I assume a major reason for what you are describing is the lack of a profit motivation. You don't have any billion dollar corporate hospitals building new facilities to make even more billions. I'd agree with most of what you said, socialized medicine works great for some things, not so great for other things. And the system we have in the US is only great if either you are employed by a large employer with a good insurance plan, or if you have the cash.

While I agree that profit is a factor I think the bigger issue is the vastness of Canada - especially trying to provide coverage to more rural and remote parts of the country. Rural doctors are tough to come by and that's just for a general practitioner.

At the same time the government can't really diminish the value of the rural population and openly establish a multi-tiered system though in reality if you don't live in a major area you're pretty well screwed for service.

What I'd really like to see is a focus on the basics (including basic dental and optical exams - but pay for your own braces and glasses) and then not necessarily privatize specialized procedures but anything that is elective should be paid for by the patient. The old example being the removal of a wart - it's an inconvenient blemish but otherwise inconsequential (unless it's on your face / genitals), but some people will insist on visiting a doctor to have it frozen and removed. Because god forbid they suffer the indignity of having to face their peers in the local pharmacy with a package of Compound W for a little bump on their finger.

News Comments > Tyranny: Bastard's Wound Announced
25. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jun 15, 2017, 21:14 panbient

MeanJim wrote on Jun 14, 2017, 18:57:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 14, 2017, 09:50:
Anyone tried Tyranny? I must not have even noticed it when it was released. Looks kinda interesting.

I enjoyed it. A lot of the negative reviews I see about it mainly come from people going in expecting a large, deep open world RPG like Pillars. This is more like a choose your own adventure RPG. You can't see and do everything in one play through. During main quests, you're generally given two to three choices of locations to go to. Sometimes you can only go to one or two of them, sometimes going to one will open up another option, but you can't do all of them.

Thanks for this review. It's not quite bumping Tyranny to the top of my list but I'll definitely be reconsidering it during the upcoming Steam sale (all depends on how much I have left in my game budget after picking up Motorsport Manager).

News Comments > Writer Jay Pinkerton Leaves Valve
20. Re: Writer Jay Pinkerton Leaves Valve Jun 7, 2017, 19:47 panbient

Hmmm Jay Pinkerton was one of the original writers to help Cracked.com turn into way more than the paper magazine could ever be (along with David Wong and Jack O'Brien). O'Brien also quit Cracked this week for some kind of super awesome opportunity that had apparently been months in the making.

Seems a bit coincidental that two of those originators just left their cushy jobs at the same time, no?

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Jun 1, 2017, 21:09 panbient

Hottest tech of 20 years ago and no 3d video cards?

No way was the Netscape browser hotter than my Diamond Monster Voodoo 3d with 4 (FOUR!!!) whole megabytes of ram.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
1. Re: Evening Interviews Jun 1, 2017, 20:57 panbient

Dunno about anyone else but I'll give this guy a pass on having made ET after learning he made the most excellent Yars' Revenge.

Also kind of hard to blame an individual for the 'worst' game ever while the industry was still very much in its infancy. Rather than say working on what Gamespot literally called "A horrible mistake of a game that should have never been made". In 2001-2.

In ET's case they were still pushing envelopes and trying to determine what the full potential of the actual medium could be. In 2001 it was pretty well established what you could accomplish within a given budget and time frame. Or at least it should have been.

695 Comments. 35 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo