Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for panbient

Real Name panbient   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname panbient
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description old school cranky pants gamer guy
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 18, 2011, 00:28
Total Comments 706 (Apprentice)
User ID 56226

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
38. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 15, 2017, 10:04 panbient

Even this morning (I've got the news going in the background here) Trump is still going on about Russia not only being a non-issue but a waste of money and effort due to a lack of evidence and diminishing public belief in collusion. It's like he refuses to recognize that collusion and meddling are separate serious issues. Not colluding with his campaign does not mean Russia did not meddle with the election. He's either unwilling or incapable of seeing those as two distinct issues. And then he immediately goes back to attacking his defeated political opponent.

That should be concerning to anyone regardless of political stripe.

But people still want to play sides or be the kind of trolls that laugh at the potential of watching the world burn because it'll hurt others more than they think it will hurt them.

Sad

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Crytek Suing Cloud Imperium
31. Re: Crytek Suing Cloud Imperium Dec 14, 2017, 09:30 panbient

And yet, even a bare bones skeleton of a company struggling to keep afloat can be seen as the big bad villain trying to bully the little guy who's pulled in well over $100 million from the public without actually delivering anything besides magical moving goalposts.

Amazing.

Only question I have on this is - will CIG's next big crowdfunding effort happen before or after the holidays?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
27. Re: Young woman raises over $160K for homeless veteran Nov 24, 2017, 09:10 panbient

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 23, 2017, 23:50:
Maybe it is just the cynic in me, but this story seems to have a major hitch in it, from the article:
...Wanting to repay him for his kindness, she started a GoFundMe page to share the story and raise funds for him.

She has since taken him essentials to stay warm and repaid him for the gas, and her GoFundMe page has raised more than $160,000 — far more than her $10,000 goal. She wrote that she would like to use the funds to help him rent an apartment, get a reliable vehicle and cover four to six months' worth of expenses.
You'd think $160k should last him 3-4 years, not 4-6 months. Maybe the 4-6 months figure was based on money actually received vs. pledged... ?

Pretty sure the original target of $10k is what was intended to cover 4-6 months (as in the winter). The article could have been clearer about it but yeah... I think your cynicism is overtaking their weak editing.

News Comments > Stellaris Humanoids Species Pack Next Month
5. Re: Stellaris Humanoids Species Pack Next Month Nov 24, 2017, 09:01 panbient

Considering the way Paradox charges for Crusader Kings 2 DLC this seems about right for them. Not right for me. But definitely right for them.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 22, 2017, 16:33 panbient

Cutter wrote on Nov 22, 2017, 14:32:
Well yeah, cause that's how Canucks vote. They don't vote people in, they vote people out. It's always an 'Anybody but So-and-So!' People are no less stupid here.

Reminds me of my old math teacher. He always said the Liberals could run a farm animal for office and his mother would still vote Liberal.

There's also something to be said about the disparity between urban and rural Canada. It's not just economical either. It's like a weird time machine where every hour away from a city turns the calendar back about a decade (I'm originally from a place that feels like the 90s when I go back to visit).

Having said all that - what's our actual alternative? If the way the NDP run provinces whenever they've been elected we're still a ways out from having a stable alternative (is being in the pocket of a union really much different than being in the pocket of the business owner?). And independents simply don't have the capital necessary to run any sort of effective campaign.

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 22, 2017, 12:10 panbient

jdreyer wrote on Nov 22, 2017, 11:56:
Canada's Attempt to Force Cheaper TV Has Failed.

C'mon Trudeau! You can do better!

I think Canadians would settle for cheaper internet over cheaper TV.

Trudeau is really only good at photo ops and long winded idealistic speeches.

And I think you're right that most Canadians would prefer cheaper internet. Problem is, same as TV, most of the internet is provided by one of two suppliers. We can either pay money to Bell or to Rogers and neither of those two companies really gives a crap about their customers.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Nov 21, 2017, 22:00 panbient

4 audio pros
0 demonstrations of how to sit at a table and actually SPEAK INTO THE MICROPHONE!

Yeah... that about explains the RoS soundtrack.

News Comments > Titan Quest Ragnarök Released
9. Re: Titan Quest Ragnarök Released Nov 17, 2017, 20:35 panbient

I guess this explains how and why they dropped the ball in rolling out their big controller update for Grim Dawn.

Seriously though, they forgot to include the new Steam Controller configuration for a major controller overhaul update. On Steam...

In their defense they were rather quick in posting a fix on their forums but still didn't quite fully explain how to get it to work (you have to scroll to the bottom of the 'Templates' options rather than selecting the 'Recommended' config option. Both of which are named the same...

It is an improvement, but waiting until Monday to release the update and giving it some weekend polish would have probably been better than releasing it late last night.

News Comments > StarCraft II Free-to-Play Launch
6. Re: StarCraft II Free-to-Play Launch Nov 15, 2017, 09:37 panbient

MattyC wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 05:37:

What in the world did you grind to unlock co-op characters or missions? Do you mean abilities when you leveled them up? Even if that is the case you are pretty far off. With the first win of the day bonus that has been around forever now, leveling those is trivial.

You had to grind some kind of gem or crystal to unlock more heroes if you didn't own all 3 campaigns.

News Comments > 3D Realms Build Game Beta Testing
24. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 6, 2017, 16:10 panbient

Flatline wrote on Nov 6, 2017, 11:54:

I remember Unreal editor being a huge step up because it used negative space for it's level design and how quake & doom if you had accidentally left even a minuscule part of your level open to the "outside" you'd crash. Unreal was all "Since you carve space out of an infinite block that doesn't matter any more!" and there was much rejoicing.

For me it was a philosophical difference. I really had to change how I conceptualized and planned out maps when using CSG engines rather than a BSP Tree.

And the easiest way to avoid 'leaking' in a BSP engine was to literally just build a giant block around your map. This was not an efficient solution - but it worked hahaha. It also didn't crash (unless you left a massive leak), what you'd normally get is a hall of mirrors effect across the leaking area (at least with the Quake2 / HL engines).

The biggest thing I remember from Unreal / UT was their scripting language essentially being an extension of BASIC which made it a lot more accessible to people who hadn't studied C/C++ in college. Also that CSG block was not infinite... (found this out the hard way when I decided to try making a race track).

News Comments > 3D Realms Build Game Beta Testing
16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 6, 2017, 08:49 panbient

SirKnight wrote on Nov 5, 2017, 19:26:
Can't agree with that at all. The old engines are much easier to create things since everything is so much more simple. That's why modding for the classic games was so big and still goes on. Modern games rarely get mods. To create anything that looks good in a modern game/engine requires you to be a VERY talented artist and takes insane amounts of time. This is not true for Build/Doom 1,2/Quake 1,2,3.

You're comparing vastly different things all over the place with this comment. Unless your idea of a great mod is just a basic sprite / SFX audio swap without any actual new content or gameplay systems.

Modern games rarely get mods because most developers don't provide the necessary tools or lock out base systems to build upon. The old games didn't. But you had to be able to teach yourself how to manipulate and create within those environments. It's kind of like how you actually needed to understand how your computer worked just to be able to get certain games to load back in the DOS days (or have you forgotten about batch files to allocate specific memory?)

Making something look good, especially today, has far more to do with graphic fidelity and artistic ability than it does with the ability and access to the underlying framework of the engine.

Build / Doom engines were NOT easy to use. Sure it was simple to replace a sprite, but that's about as much of a 'mod' as applying flame stickers to the side of your car and telling yourself it'll move faster. Making a new map in those engines was rough, especially if you found yourself attempting to make legitimate 3d space.

Quake 1,2 (same with Unreal / UT / Lithtech) were the next step and the first really substantive 3d engines available to the public. Still rudimentary but at least you could place player accessible geometry over existing geometry for true 3d.

Quake 3 with its curved surfaces took that a step farther and started moving the creation of user made content out of their proprietary editors into professional grade 3d modelling tools (3Dmax etc.) I'd go so far as to say Q3 is where the FPS mod scene really started taking a dive due to the fact that the requirements to make passable content moved out of the casual players hands and more to the semi-professional developer.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
13. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 15, 2017, 09:45 panbient

Choobeastia wrote on Oct 14, 2017, 21:40:
All of this is moot, really. The real point is that even if we do not agree, it costs nothing to be understanding of a group choosing to stand up against bullies. At the same time, we only diminish ourselves by demeaning them.

Well said.

Also with that roller coaster example -

A person scared of heights might try a roller coaster in an effort to get over their phobia and grow as a person.

Twitter offers nothing of the sort.

News Comments > Grim Dawn: Ashes of Malmouth Released
12. Re: Grim Dawn: Ashes of Malmouth Released Oct 13, 2017, 10:02 panbient

Quinn wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 02:27:
I was a Soldier/Nightblade with lots of talents in regeneration-by-attacks. I was a proc-king at first: basic attacks procced moves that obliterated swaths of enemies. And then I started New Game+, one difficulty up.
I got oneshotted.

That's the build I'm using for my hardcore character (sword and shield focus). From what I've gathered Normal mode is for casual anything goes builds. Elite requires a solid grasp of the underlying resistance / damage type systems with appropriate gear and offensive focus. Then Ultimate (which I'll confess I haven't grinded up to... even after 300+ hours) is where I figure the Skill and Devotion allocations become critical.

There are two other things to keep in mind when moving up to higher difficulties. First all your resistances drop by a substantial amount (50% if I remember right) and pretty much all enemies will hit with some sort of additional effect. Then there's the fact that the next difficulty unlocks after completing the main story boss but there's more end game content afterwards (and more opportunities for legendary drops).

Without seeing your gear and how you spent your Skill and Devotion points it's kind of hard to say why you died so quickly. Soldier has some great passives to jack up your defense and Nightblade has good debuffs.

And finally, don't ever spend more than a handful of points in Spirit unless you're playing a caster type. I'm currently at level 71 and I've only added 2 or 3.

News Comments > Grim Dawn: Ashes of Malmouth Released
5. Re: Grim Dawn: Ashes of Malmouth Released Oct 12, 2017, 09:48 panbient

Creston wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 23:55:
So I picked up the main game today for 7ish bucks. Any suggestions on a fun build?

Depends on what you like but there are options for just about every play style. There are loads of references and Steam guides that can help but from my own experiences...

If you like playing a tank style you'll want to pair up the Soldier class. Soldier / Shaman is a beast. Soldier / Nightblade is quite a lot of fun too but becomes squishy later on. Soldier / Demolitionist should be quite effective as well (thinking this is what I'll be trying with the expansion).

If you prefer summoning pets you'll be looking at pairing the Occultist. Not all classes get summons but if I remember right the Occultist can have three just from their skill tree. There doesn't seem to be a limit either, so different pieces of gear and class pairings can result in a substantial posse of critters.

Big picture, there are options for every playstyle out there and on Normal difficulty anything is viable. It's only once you start into higher difficulties that you really need to start considering resistances and focusing gear towards specific damage types. There's quite a bit of potential depth to character / gear builds if you want to head down that rabbit hole.

One last thing to keep in mind, the option to re-spec your character is limited. As you level up you get a few points to spend on either Class or Skill points. Class points will provide bigger boosts to your stats and unlock more powerful skills. Skill points can be reclaimed but Class points are permanent but with the new level cap that likely becomes less of a factor.

Overall if you played Titan Quest back in the day a lot of this will feel familiar. Personally, I thought TQ was the next best thing after Diablo 2 and Grim Dawn just delivers more of the same.

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 27, 2017, 14:51 panbient

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 27, 2017, 10:35:
That a boy, what a piece of shit.
tRump, rewriting Real news one deletion at a time.

I wonder about this though. I'm not at all doubting that he deleted the tweets from his live account nor am I disagreeing with your PoS assessment.

But as POTUS isn't anything he says to the public supposed to be cataloged? I would assume his tweets are collected as they go live somewhere, I mean even the article has backups. So these actions should really only benefit his ego and his blindest followers.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 26, 2017, 19:38 panbient

He was 16-17 at the time of the crimes which makes him a minor in the eyes of the law.

Generally speaking the crime has to be pretty heinous and demonstrate callous disregard for life for a minor to be tried as an adult. Odds are had anyone been inadvertently shot as a result of the swatting incidents this would have had a very different outcome.

I guess we'll find out next year if he's really smartened up or just played the good boy card for a gullible judge.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2017, 19:11 panbient

jdreyer wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 18:40:
Brilliant protest at Capitol Hill today. The optics of dragging wheelchair bound protestors out by force does not cast the Congress in a good light.

Also, better send the army into Puerto Rico. The devastated island will be unable to cope for months. Does Trump even realize that PR is part of the US?

Why do you think he keeps tweeting about football instead? #looktheotherway

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Sep 23, 2017, 10:00 panbient

Hoop wrote on Sep 22, 2017, 19:46:
And Dusty Rhodes of zz top who likes to cross dress is actually Dusty Springfield...he/she went on to record some of the most iconic eclipse of the moon songs ever for a brief time in the eighties.
Thats why you have & will never see both on the same stage at he same time
, eclipse or not.

The bass player for ZZ Top is Dusty Hill. Dusty Rhodes was a wrestler.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 21, 2017, 15:25 panbient

xLith wrote on Sep 21, 2017, 13:01:
Most decent keyboards have a switch to disable the windows button. It's 2017. I'm sure we could figure a way around it being a problem.

What does a keyboard from 2017 have to do with a feature Gates would have liked to have back in Windows 3.0?

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 21, 2017, 12:29 panbient

Holy crap she's dressed like an old video game sprite with a torso that isn't supposed to be displayed when rendered.  

706 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo