Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for panbient

Real Name panbient   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname panbient
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description old school cranky pants gamer guy
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 18, 2011, 00:28
Total Comments 680 (Apprentice)
User ID 56226

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 16, 2017, 18:34 panbient

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 16, 2017, 14:37:
Cutter, I assume a major reason for what you are describing is the lack of a profit motivation. You don't have any billion dollar corporate hospitals building new facilities to make even more billions. I'd agree with most of what you said, socialized medicine works great for some things, not so great for other things. And the system we have in the US is only great if either you are employed by a large employer with a good insurance plan, or if you have the cash.

While I agree that profit is a factor I think the bigger issue is the vastness of Canada - especially trying to provide coverage to more rural and remote parts of the country. Rural doctors are tough to come by and that's just for a general practitioner.

At the same time the government can't really diminish the value of the rural population and openly establish a multi-tiered system though in reality if you don't live in a major area you're pretty well screwed for service.

What I'd really like to see is a focus on the basics (including basic dental and optical exams - but pay for your own braces and glasses) and then not necessarily privatize specialized procedures but anything that is elective should be paid for by the patient. The old example being the removal of a wart - it's an inconvenient blemish but otherwise inconsequential (unless it's on your face / genitals), but some people will insist on visiting a doctor to have it frozen and removed. Because god forbid they suffer the indignity of having to face their peers in the local pharmacy with a package of Compound W for a little bump on their finger.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Tyranny: Bastard's Wound Announced
25. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jun 15, 2017, 21:14 panbient

MeanJim wrote on Jun 14, 2017, 18:57:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 14, 2017, 09:50:
Anyone tried Tyranny? I must not have even noticed it when it was released. Looks kinda interesting.

I enjoyed it. A lot of the negative reviews I see about it mainly come from people going in expecting a large, deep open world RPG like Pillars. This is more like a choose your own adventure RPG. You can't see and do everything in one play through. During main quests, you're generally given two to three choices of locations to go to. Sometimes you can only go to one or two of them, sometimes going to one will open up another option, but you can't do all of them.

Thanks for this review. It's not quite bumping Tyranny to the top of my list but I'll definitely be reconsidering it during the upcoming Steam sale (all depends on how much I have left in my game budget after picking up Motorsport Manager).

News Comments > Writer Jay Pinkerton Leaves Valve
20. Re: Writer Jay Pinkerton Leaves Valve Jun 7, 2017, 19:47 panbient

Hmmm Jay Pinkerton was one of the original writers to help Cracked.com turn into way more than the paper magazine could ever be (along with David Wong and Jack O'Brien). O'Brien also quit Cracked this week for some kind of super awesome opportunity that had apparently been months in the making.

Seems a bit coincidental that two of those originators just left their cushy jobs at the same time, no?

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Jun 1, 2017, 21:09 panbient

Hottest tech of 20 years ago and no 3d video cards?

No way was the Netscape browser hotter than my Diamond Monster Voodoo 3d with 4 (FOUR!!!) whole megabytes of ram.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
1. Re: Evening Interviews Jun 1, 2017, 20:57 panbient

Dunno about anyone else but I'll give this guy a pass on having made ET after learning he made the most excellent Yars' Revenge.

Also kind of hard to blame an individual for the 'worst' game ever while the industry was still very much in its infancy. Rather than say working on what Gamespot literally called "A horrible mistake of a game that should have never been made". In 2001-2.

In ET's case they were still pushing envelopes and trying to determine what the full potential of the actual medium could be. In 2001 it was pretty well established what you could accomplish within a given budget and time frame. Or at least it should have been.

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed May 30, 2017, 21:29 panbient

eRe4s3r wrote on May 30, 2017, 13:32:

And I wouldn't mind someone taking an actual scientific look at social games and how incredibly bad they are for children development.

That would require a generation of parents who are concerned with actually raising their children to grow into competent adults rather than just checking off the next item on the list of things they need to do to be told they're doing a good job at taking care of their kids.

I just read an article about a parent who was upset that their 9 year old got sick after tasting a drop of vape / e-cigarette fluid they found on the ground in their schoolyard. 1000 words is spent going on about the labeling of vape fluid containers. Only a single sentence addresses the doctor's frustration at the parent of a 9 year old who would put something they found on the ground into their mouths.

Because obviously the parenting methods that result in a 9 year old who's first reaction to finding pretty garbage on the ground is to taste it are not at all an issue in today's society.

No, no, no, it's a product labeling issue.

News Comments > Danger Zone Released
3. Re: Danger Zone Released May 30, 2017, 19:13 panbient

So how does this compare to the crash mode in the old Burnout games?  

News Comments > Into the Black
8. Re: Into the Black May 26, 2017, 07:04 panbient

meezookeewee wrote on May 26, 2017, 00:24:
The Half Elf wrote on May 25, 2017, 20:36:
Um... if I'm not mistaken, Disney said they would release the original trilogy.

Here's the problem: The distribution rights to the first 6 movies are still held by Fox Studios, if I remember correctly. The original film is held by Fox in perpetuity, which means they own the distribution rights to the original film forever. The actual distribution rights to the other 5, I hear will expire in 2020. So, the EARLIEST you would even see something like that is in three years.

I wonder if that's why George Lucas submitted the re-releases instead of the originals when the National Film Registry requested copies of the first two movies (or so I've read).

News Comments > Grim Dawn Sells 1M Copies
22. Re: Grim Dawn Sells 1M Copies May 25, 2017, 19:40 panbient

Suppa7 wrote on May 25, 2017, 18:04:
Zoom wrote on May 25, 2017, 14:37:
I expected nothing less from the creators of Titan Quest, one of the very best ARPG series until now.

TQ was one of the worst selling games in THQ's history, it was not as good as grim dawn. I wasn't a big fan of TQ, it's quality was all over the map story wise. The art was nice in certain places but the combat left a lot to be desired.

That's fair, the vanilla Titan Quest was kind of very bland. But TQ plus its expansion Immortal Throne was FANTASTIC (I think this is what most people are remembering when they say 'Titan Quest').

News Comments > Grim Dawn Sells 1M Copies
21. Re: Grim Dawn Sells 1M Copies May 25, 2017, 19:35 panbient

With over 300 hours logged it's safe to say I really like this game. Incidentally I've been trying to focus on Diablo 3 for the last little while since we finally got our first season on consoles but all it does is make me want to play Grim Dawn.

However I must admit there's one aspect of GD's world that does frustrate me.

As an older gamer I'm used to exploring all the nooks and crannies in any particular area. And in GD there are at least 2 spots that look like they could possibly lead to a hidden area but are literal dead ends. These are spots where a little trail / corridor branches off from the main area with nasty green / aether damage on the floor (which seems to cause damage as a % / tic rather than X amount / tic. So even with full resistance you'll die relatively quickly.

This is especially frustrating when you consider the game also features 'off the map' loot rooms.

It's the only time I've ever used a hex editor to revive a HC character. Dying from a tough battle? I'll accept that. Dying from questionable map design in the last overworld area? No.

Cannot wait for the expansion.

38. Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2017, 19:06 panbient

Asmodai wrote on May 18, 2017, 17:21:
Don't often get effected by news of famous folk departing the mortal coil, but Chris Cornell is one of my all time faves and will be sorely missed.

He broke his rusty cage and ran. = (

This. As selfish as it sounds there was always a little part of me that thought I'd someday get to see Soundgarden in concert. Guess not.

An accidental overdose I could understand, but suicide by hanging, I just can't.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation May 17, 2017, 20:56 panbient

Pretty sure the only way Led Zeppelin will show up in RockBand is after both Robert Plant and Jimmy Page die. Page for certain - he's openly disparaged rhythm games and would rather see young people pick up the actual instruments as opposed to providing an opportunity for those young people to transition from virtual to actual instruments.

And Plant, well anytime anyone has asked him a direct face to face question about Led Zep he rolls his eyes harder than pretty much anyone ever.

Now, if this was an opportunity to re-re-re-remaster the catalog from the 70s so they could sell it all over again. Well... in that case Page would be all over it (again).

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed May 16, 2017, 20:39 panbient

"Your drug dealer is not your friend. Dope is not healthy."

... hasn't stopped anyone yet. Good way to get clicks though.

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. May 10, 2017, 20:18 panbient

eRe4s3r wrote on May 10, 2017, 18:35:
I always thought a company wasn't allowed to lie to investors.. how is that investor to feel now that Kotaku released the info that EA is withholding? That's some super strange way to communicate...

TL;DR, Bioware Montreal is downsized support team now, and ME:A on cooldown indefinitely. It's just like EA to waste Bioware talent on yet another shitty MMO though. But I guess not a lot of good scifi and character writers are still at Bioware anyway.

Btw, if you wanna have a good laugh, google ME:A alpha vs release comparision. Game looked better (I mean a shit-ton better) than whatever cut-down downsized thing they released here. They literally removed nearly a dozen advanced graphic features, entire animations, entire already recorded and extremely well done facial performances, including nvidia gameworks ENTIRELY too. How the holy fuck does that happen, did they change engines mid development???? Sounds to me like ME.A was actually cut down and reduced very late late in development to get anything at all working and released...

In my very limited experience cuts like that happen to support lower end hardware. All of a sudden about midway through development you get a real list of the lowest end system the publisher wants the product to operate on, then it's on the developers to figure out how to make that happen without extending the timeline. The only effective way to do that is to start cutting higher end features (since adding additional graphic options requires substantially more testing and time).

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
9. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 24, 2017, 19:54 panbient

Acleacius wrote on Apr 24, 2017, 01:19:
panbient wrote on Apr 23, 2017, 20:49:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 23, 2017, 19:41:
I think we're getting to the point where court rulings for things like this are ultimately pointless. "You can't have subtitles because they're illegal!" "Uh, so? I can download them from a server hosted where it isn't illegal."

How does this make any sense? It's like saying you won't be busted for having pot because you bought it in a state where it was legal to purchase as if it trumps possession laws.
No it's not, you can't be arrested for pot in a state where it's legal, by state and local authorities. Legal allows possession. So who's not making sense?

I read the original statement to be on par with if it's illegal to get it here I'll just get it from where it's legal (as in download from a server in another jurisdiction) and then I won't have hassles. As in - if I'm in a state where pot possession is illegal, I'll just buy it from Colorado and thumb my nose at the local law in any other state because I'm that special.

Make sense now?

And what honest profits are there from unauthorized subtitles for pirated media? How do the creators profit from that in a worthwhile manner even if the audience expands?

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
25. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Apr 23, 2017, 21:33 panbient

jdreyer wrote on Apr 22, 2017, 13:55:
John Deere just told the copyright office that only corporations can own property, humans can only license it.

Welcome to the corporatocracy. Here's the distillation of the article:

GM went so far as to argue locking people out helps innovation. That’s like saying locking up books will inspire kids to be innovative writers, because they won’t be tempted to copy passages from a Hemingway novel. Meanwhile, outside of Bizarroland, actual technology experts—including the Electronic Frontier Foundation—have consistently labeled the DMCA an innovation killer. They insist that, rather than stopping content pirates, language in the DMCA has been used to stifle competition and expand corporate control over the life (and afterlife) of products.

Funny, that DMCA complaint pretty much sums up the entirety of the complaints about the Canadian Radio and Tele-Communication Canadian Content laws. Initially intended to promote and support Canadian media instead it turned into "here's your once an hour Bryan Adams / Barenaked Ladies / Celine Dion / Shania Twain / Tragically Hip / Guess Who song".

New material? Oh, no no no, that would be risky and people might not instantly recognize it as inherently Canadian. If you want real success in Canadian media you bleach your white bread until it shines then tattoo a Maple Leaf on your face just the same as the old guys did decades ago.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
4. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 23, 2017, 20:49 panbient

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 23, 2017, 19:41:
I think we're getting to the point where court rulings for things like this are ultimately pointless. "You can't have subtitles because they're illegal!" "Uh, so? I can download them from a server hosted where it isn't illegal."

How does this make any sense? It's like saying you won't be busted for having pot because you bought it in a state where it was legal to purchase as if it trumps possession laws.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2017, 17:58 panbient

jdreyer wrote on Apr 22, 2017, 14:03:
And here's how they caught them:

“When a lot of the fake peer reviews first came up, one of the reasons the editors spotted them was that the reviewers responded on time,” Wager told Ars. Reviewers almost always have to be chased, so “this was the red flag. And in a few cases, both the reviews would pop up within a few minutes of each other.”

Hilarious.

Reminds me of a major drug bust in Quebec a few years ago when the cops got lucky on a random traffic stop. The reason they pulled the driver over in the first place?

They were going the speed limit and using their turn signals, which seemed suspicious for a driver with Quebec plates on Quebec roads.

Not even half joking, that's the line they gave to the press.

News Comments > Everything Released
7. Re: Everything Released Apr 22, 2017, 17:49 panbient

The naming of this game reminds me of PCU - an old David Spade / Jeremy Piven college movie from the 90s right about now. At one point Piven and his crew need to stage a concert to save their frat house. So what do they name the band in order to draw the most attention?

Everyone Gets Laid.

News Comments > New AMD Drivers
1. Re: New AMD Drivers Apr 18, 2017, 20:15 panbient

And still no actual implementation of the options to stop checking and automatically downloading updates for legacy users... Thanks AMD!  

680 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo