Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for panbient

Real Name panbient   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname panbient
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description old school cranky pants gamer guy
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 18, 2011, 00:28
Total Comments 627 (Apprentice)
User ID 56226

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2016, 13:27 panbient

EvilGrouse wrote on Dec 3, 2016, 13:15:
It's OZZY.

Not in his Chrono Trigger cameo along with Flea and Slash.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > GOG.Com Winter Sale Includes Free NWN; Steam Sale Dated
22. Re: GOG.Com Winter Sale Includes Free NWN; Steam Sale Dated Dec 2, 2016, 10:52 panbient

Acleacius wrote on Dec 1, 2016, 19:42:
Odd, only hardcore players finished NWN2 in the first place.

-snip for brevity-

NWN2 had many unique gameplay ideas for NWN like the castle and defense. The story was pretty good all in all, but too long and had crap storyboard ending. There were a lot of cool characters Kelgar and Grobnar (one of the best npcs ever!).

Well first off I didn't realize I was hardcore hahaha if beating the vanilla game is the base line then yeah the expansions are totally hardcore (I also beat Storm of Zehir so... extra hardcore?).

I also find it funny that I had to Google Grobnar, but I can definitely agree on Kelgar - different impacts on different people I guess. Then again he's the only NPC I remember that you can actually develop through conversation rather than just reinforcing behaviors.

As for sales I remember hearing the sequel itself was disappointing never mind the subsequent expansions. For me, the original NWN felt like a D&D game in the vein of Diablo where you're essentially a solitary hero on an epic quest - or you're playing MP. NWN2 felt like a D&D version of Knights of the Old Republic - party based with romance and everything. It's not bad, just different, and I think that's where things kind of fall apart for me.

Also worth noting occasional poster Darks' Eye of the Beholder mod for the original NWN is one of the best mods you can get for the game.

13. Re: GOG.Com Winter Sale Includes Free NWN; Steam Sale Dated Dec 1, 2016, 16:26 panbient

Acleacius wrote on Dec 1, 2016, 15:50:
To the general thread, Mask of the Betrayer was lifeless compared to NWN2. There was no humor, hardly any emotional dialog I can recall atm. It's gameplay was really challenging, so it's only hardcore people who ever play it.

We'll have to agree to disagree as I thought the NWN2 campaign was the lifeless one - it's about as generic as it gets. Personally, I couldn't stand most of the original companions. Sorceress was a fantastic character stat-wise but insufferable otherwise - she stands out as one of the most annoying characters ever. The Spirit Bear on the other hand lives on as one of the greatest.

I also like that the story in MotB got really heady and existential, which I guess is not for everyone but I really liked it. Though I disagree that it was for hardcore players only. The biggest challenge was the Soul Harvest mechanic which became optional in a patch if I remember correctly.

But maybe my memories are deceiving me, I haven't played through it in a long while. Might be time to revisit.

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Dec 1, 2016, 14:23 panbient

shiho wrote on Dec 1, 2016, 07:42:
It certainly does not represent me as a conservative, or any other conservative I know.

See... this is the problem right here.

You're looking at the analysis of a group and expecting it to reflect you (or one of your accepted peers) as an individual.

7. Re: GOG.Com Winter Sale Includes Free NWN; Steam Sale Dated Dec 1, 2016, 12:33 panbient

sauron wrote on Dec 1, 2016, 11:37:
Hordes of the Underdark. One of my favorite CRPG stories ever. It was ace.

I preferred Mask of the Betrayer for NWN2 but I can't count how many times I played through HotU back in the day. I've already bought NWN a few times but I'll definitely tag it to my GOG account for the future.

The visuals might be a bit dated as it's a 3d engine from the early 2000s but I cannot recommend Neverwinter Nights enough to anyone who's ever remotely enjoyed a D&D game.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Cleared by U.K. Ad Watchdog
18. Re: No Man's Sky Cleared by U.K. Ad Watchdog Nov 30, 2016, 15:06 panbient

Verno wrote on Nov 30, 2016, 12:23:
This is a ruling on the Steam page content specifically and doesn't take into account Murray's interviews and public statements.

The fact that this needs to be repeated multiple times is telling of a bigger problem with the consumer base in my view.

Really though, why would anyone honestly logically expect an -Advertising- authority to review anything more than commercial -advertisements- (and this ruling also covered the PS4 promo material).

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Nov 28, 2016, 13:06 panbient

Pigeon wrote on Nov 28, 2016, 11:21:
Took my brain awhile to get there (even coffee isn't helping today) but it's Damian Wayne, not Damon Wayans as I first interpreted it . I was wondering why the hell he was involved with a Batman game, and who thought that would be a good idea.

Well, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who misread that headline. Personally I'd love to see Damon Wayans as Batman. I think it would be glorious.

News Comments > Genital Jousting Early Access
11. Re: Genital Jousting Early Access Nov 18, 2016, 02:16 panbient

I was really hoping to hear Detachable Penis by King Missile when that clip started.

Also seriously expected sword fighting with dongs instead of just wiggling around and stuffing butts.

Disappointed.

News Comments > SAG-AFTRA Picketing Insomniac Games
3. Re: SAG-AFTRA Picketing Insomniac Games Nov 17, 2016, 11:41 panbient

TheGenk wrote on Nov 17, 2016, 11:17:
you wouldn't want to picket EA

Want to take a guess as to where the first stop on their protest tour was?

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Financials
17. Re: Activision Blizzard Financials Nov 4, 2016, 13:36 panbient

Timmeh wrote on Nov 4, 2016, 09:55:
I didn't recall stating that I read the article... I in fact only read the highlights for lack of time...

but I pointed out that I could be wrong...

Its really to bad you guys cant react accurately with such enthusiasm about games and other news here instead of demonstrating you have your heads up your ass most of the time..

but bravo on this one!

*don't
*But
*It's
*too
*can't
*accordingly
*and with
*asses
*But

Here's a list of your spelling errors because it's more fun to point those out than to address your super weak trolling.

News Comments > Wasteland 3 Stretch Goals Add Free Game
6. Re: Wasteland 3 Stretch Goals Add Free Game Nov 2, 2016, 09:29 panbient

Redmask wrote on Nov 2, 2016, 07:52:

Kickstarter hasn't exactly been wonderful so I'm happy to try something else that was started by devs.

The other very big deal with Fig is that if you chose to actually invest a substantial amount it apparently becomes an actual legitimate investment in the product which apparently translates to a cut of the profits on a successful product. Rather than paying $10 000 to get a chance to have dinner with the developers if you pay your own flight and accommodations you get X% of the profit every quarter.

Aside from recognizability I don't know why anyone would choose KS over Fig.

News Comments > Uwe Boll Ending Film Career
14. Re: Uwe Boll Ending Film Career Oct 26, 2016, 13:08 panbient

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 26, 2016, 11:52:
He played the system well enough to last as long as he did. If he didn't have a German tax shelter he would have disappeared after his first handful of films ages ago an all our attention would be focused on Paul W.S. Anderson as the shittiest director in Hollywood.

This is hardly specific to Germany though. If the majority of tv and film lost their government subsidies and other tax based assistance most production houses would close almost instantly.

We see it all the time here in Canada - as soon as one province changes their funding model just about the entire industry moves to the next province with the best deal (after the obvious protests and demonstrations).

News Comments > SAG-AFTRA Picketing EA Today
34. Re: SAG-AFTRA Picketing EA Today Oct 24, 2016, 19:34 panbient

Steazy wrote on Oct 24, 2016, 18:29:

Hopefully the BLM metaphor doesn't totally nuke this discussion, am legit curious about y'alls thoughts

I get your points and you're spot on in saying the industry is not unionized and that's part of the issue.

But disagree on a few specifics. I don't see this as an 'attack' on the game industry, it's a wake up call to the big players. You're right when you say SAG is dominating the conversation around their own needs - they're representing their members vs. the elements of the industry that are acting in a questionable manner.

This is basically a larger entertainment industry union telling the video game industry how things operate on their level within the bigger picture. The only betterment it's really concerned with is the treatment of its members, but if the SAG members are better treated then perhaps other developers will too.

To me this isn't asking for more, it's asking for what the rest of their industry already does. This is not a situation where developers should be jealous, it's a situation where they should start recognizing more of their own actual value.

30. Re: SAG-AFTRA Picketing EA Today Oct 24, 2016, 17:02 panbient

Steazy wrote on Oct 24, 2016, 16:55:
No, unions don't form anymore because individual skilled employees have the freedom to negotiate their own working conditions and can leave a job they don't like. Just like these voice actors can.

OR...

Just the same as those industries in the past who would literally grind people up (look at pictures of the hands of mill workers before safety regulations) the current employees could stand up to the exploiters and demand respect for themselves and for the future of their industry.

Sure they can leave if they don't like it. I certainly did - twice. But I still feel bad about not being able to leave the position in any better condition for the next person. And until the people on the bottom rise up it will not change, and it will continue to be a digital mental meat grinder for well meaning and creative young adults who haven't learned better yet.

I mean really, just because The Man tells you he's only hitting you because he loves you, doesn't make it right. But hey, you can leave if you don't like it.

17. Re: SAG-AFTRA Picketing EA Today Oct 24, 2016, 15:37 panbient

NKD wrote on Oct 24, 2016, 11:43:
If you think that they don't have legitimate complaints, you're straight up brain damaged. They are working under a contract that dates back to the mid 90s and needs some serious changes due to how things have changed since then, but the game companies don't want to budge an inch on anything.

*A lot of other very valid stuff*

While I agree with everything you've said and I sympathize with the VAs... there are still lots of other people in the industry (pretty much everyone) who also deserve some level of proper compensation and protection as well. And in the case of any actual junior developer I'd say those people need it before the VAs.

But, I mean, who am I kidding? These people get to work in the gaaAAAaaammmmeee Industry Sunny and if they don't like it they can go be a sucker at a square office with actual job security, and benefits, and HR departments, and paid vacations, but it'll cost you your soul man!!! You'll need to wear a dress shirt!!!!

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Oct 4, 2016, 19:32 panbient

Suppa7 wrote on Oct 4, 2016, 12:57:

You're clueless to how corrupt the world really is and how your rights have been erased by big media and big gaming since they own the government lock stock and barrel. We're talking about billion dollar game companies, they aren't pan handling in the street.

I honestly can't tell if you're in a seriously long con troll game with this account or just a very sad gamer.

Really though, I've been face to face with some pretty hardcore conspiracy theorist, but never, ever, have I heard that 'big media, and big gaming' somehow 'own' the government.

News Comments > Wasteland 3 Announced
37. Re: Wasteland 3 Announced Sep 29, 2016, 09:01 panbient

Dev wrote on Sep 29, 2016, 08:42:

This is also the platform that rockband 4 failed at with only 50% of funding.

Pretty sure that had a lot less to do with the platform and a lot more to do with Harmonix looking for a community handout after removing features from RB3 in hopes of porting RB4 to pc... and doing so before they even got something as 'basic' as online play back into the 4th iteration of a franchise. Never mind all the core fans that actually went out and paid decent money for a midi keyboard, or pro guitar controllers with the previous release.

Because obviously after people have invested in a catalog of tunes on the previous generation of consoles and then sold on the idea of being able to import them all to the current generation, I can't at all see why that same market would then all line up to re-purchase the base product for at least a 3rd time as well as all their music selection for a 2nd. Nope, can't at all see why that would have failed. No siree. I'm impressed they even managed to raise half their target.

Though in Fig and RB's defense, this platform did offer the opportunity for backers to become actual investors, but you needed to put up at least $1000 (if not $2500 - really don't remember). But if you invested that much and things were successful you were entitled to a cut of the profits. That's a pretty substantial motivator and not something I've heard of in regards to KS or any other crowd funded platform.

News Comments > Wasteland 3 Announced
26. Re: Wasteland 3 Announced Sep 28, 2016, 19:33 panbient

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 28, 2016, 17:35:
Multiplayer focus, and inXile admits it'll be a shorter game? 99% of party based RPG players don't want either of these two things... sounds like a misuse of resources.

I can do without the multiplayer but it does sound pretty cool with a co-op buddy.

As for length I'm perfectly fine with a shorter story considering it took me 93 hours to get through vanilla (and I still feel like I missed stuff). Like many others I had a hard time at the start, but once I got a crew that clicked it was smooth sailing.

Also hoping they tweak the weapons a bit more to better specialize them. Not necessarily nerfing the AR but at least give the sniper rifle more than 2-3 extra tiles of range, etc.

News Comments > More Star Citizen vs Derek Smart
46. Re: More Star Citizen vs Derek Smart Sep 28, 2016, 10:13 panbient

Verno wrote on Sep 28, 2016, 08:49:

Dude. I just said they exist. I've read them. Did I miss something?

Right but uh you're a random internet person who has a documented history with regards to this game that could easily lead to bias. You're also not a journalist and you're acting like people should trust information 3 times removed from the original source. A source which conveniently can't be verified.

Exactly.

However, I also remember reading a bunch of long winded articles -last summer- and something about an FTC investigation and legal action, don't recall hearing about those things being repealed or otherwise canceled. I understand the justice system is a very slow moving beast and it's entirely within reason that this case is still very slowly inching towards its day in court. So until then, when everything needs to be legally put on the table I don't see much value in anonymous sources aside from reinforcing what you already want to believe.

This ongoing back and forth is a total PR circle jerk for absolutely everyone involved until either the product is released or the day in court happens.

Gaming site needs clicks / views? Write anything about SC. We the gaming public prove it works every time.

News Comments > Sunless Skies Announced
9. Re: Sunless Skies Announced Sep 26, 2016, 10:47 panbient

Really wanted to like Sunless Sea, really kind of hard to get into a text heavy game when you can barely read what's on screen though (especially in big picture mode / TV).

Seems font and UI scaling finally got fixed last week, too bad the free weekend was back in January.

627 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo