Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for panbient

Real Name panbient   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname panbient
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description old school cranky pants gamer guy
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 18, 2011, 00:28
Total Comments 734 (Apprentice)
User ID 56226

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > James Ohlen Departs BioWare
5. Re: James Ohlen Departs BioWare Jul 13, 2018, 10:11 panbient

At this point in my life there are only a handful of things I've done for 22 consecutive years or more - and working for the same company certainly isn't one of them.

More power to this guy. No need to destroy your midlife with the endless stress of game development.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jul 9, 2018, 23:31 panbient

At least the plastic guitar and drums provide tactile feedback - especially with drums. Swinging at air is not at all the same as hitting a pad with a stick.

I will say I did like the presentation of the drum chart flowing into the appropriate parts of the kit.

But I'll be sticking with Rock Band for the drums and Rocksmith for the strings.

News Comments > Guild Wars II Writers Fired Over Social Media Spat
39. Re: Guild Wars II Writers Fired Over Social Media Spat Jul 6, 2018, 15:54 panbient

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 15:31:
probably Canadian.

what?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 26, 2018, 13:44 panbient

Acleacius wrote on Jun 26, 2018, 13:14:
Report: 80%+ approval rating in Republican party, as the country and world burns. Flamethrower

But he looks TOUGH while doing it!!!!

Doesn't that make your balls tingle? Aren't you a REAL man? Don't be weak! Who needs integrity when you can have image?

I think November will be telling as to whether or not we're seeing the beginning of the end of the so called great American experiment in democracy, or if this is just a big bump along the existential path of modern western society.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
5. Re: Evening Interviews Jun 1, 2018, 14:08 panbient

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 1, 2018, 00:01:
Interesting read that, but it's not 300$ DLC for CK2, it's 710$.

Steam converts the price to your local currency.

Here in Canada the DLC is $287 and change for the CK2 collection or $309 and change if you want to get all the DLC separately. So saying about $300 is pretty accurate for North American readers.

News Comments > Fallout 76 Revealed
46. Re: Fallout 76 Revealed May 31, 2018, 19:19 panbient

Agent.X7 wrote on May 31, 2018, 15:06:
Although, what's up with Country Road?

To me that song is the most obvious clue to location unless they've clearly specified it wouldn't be in the mountains of West Virginia. But with all the survival / Rust / ARK hype, it wouldn't surprise me.

That song (or at least the John Denver original) is also one of the trickiest bass lines I've ever had to learn.

News Comments > Fallout 76 Revealed
39. Re: Fallout 76 Revealed May 31, 2018, 10:41 panbient

Oh man I76...

Never did manage to score a full copy but played the hell out of that 2 map demo back in the day. I still think the endless horn of a car after a pistol shootout takes out the opposing driver confers the most violence I've felt in a video game. No blood splatter, no gore, just a piece of audio and massive impact.

Still haven't tried Fallout 4, thinking I should finally go through New Vegas though.

News Comments > Another Developer Banned for Fake Steam Reviews
7. Re: Another Developer Banned for Fake Steam Reviews May 11, 2018, 08:31 panbient

Cutter wrote on May 10, 2018, 23:49:
How is a review unfair?

Guess it depends on the games you check out. But I've seen plenty of 'negative' reviews that boil down to either:

"the game doesn't run on my junky old computer so it's horrible (because I don't understand minimum technical specs and the refund system)"

or

"this super old game from years ago has clunky UI and doesn't play nice in 4k and developer support (from a company that hasn't existed in well over a decade) is non-existent"

Neither of those are valid reviews in my eyes, and if you get a bunch of that skewing your overall score and leaving your product with a Mixed reputation at best I can understand why it would be frustrating and something that should (ideally) be addressed.

Maybe Valve could implement some sort of review validation option for developers. Let them flag questionable or irrelevant reviews that impact their product unfairly. And if the devs act like the trolls and try to ban any sort of objective critique then they get banned too.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup May 10, 2018, 14:27 panbient

Parallax Scrolling!

That hasn't been a feature point since the SNES hahaha though according to them it's a technical marvel. It looks like an anime version of Rastan.

Having said that that page looks rather suspect. According to the site they're in Toronto, but Black Sky Games is listed as being in Djibouti. No developers are named but they plan to get 2 award winning composers and a mystery writer? Then there's the $420k target. 420 yo! hurr hurr hurr.

Then again coming up with an ARPG about kings given powers by magical, err mystical, eels doesn't happen when you're sober.

News Comments > Steam Bringing Games and Streaming to Mobile
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2018, 11:19 panbient

Mordecai Walfish wrote on May 10, 2018, 00:01:

Polytopia is also an awesome game, that does mobile right IMO. They are few and far between though.

Agreed. Perfect little Civ-lite for my phone. Mini Metro is another fantastic one that got it right.

News Comments > Get Crusader Kings Free Thorough Steam
7. Re: Get Crusader Kings Free Thorough Steam Apr 6, 2018, 05:46 panbient

For those who don't want to spend at least $100 on DLC there are some guides on what each offers - it's definitely worth looking into. There are about a half dozen that really add substance and are more or less 'must-haves', the others are for obsessive types.

On the plus side, you don't have to own any DLC in order to use the extra content in an MP game so long as at least one player owns it.

News Comments > Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods Revealed
12. Re: Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods Revealed Mar 6, 2018, 06:06 panbient

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 03:59:
dropped it cold and hard after reaching level 50 and never finding a single usable legendary till then, not ONE.

NOT ONE

... but legendary items aren't even supposed to start dropping until you're level 50. The only exception I've seen in like 600 hours is if you beat the main story boss before reaching 50.

At the same time I think this is a bit of a situation similar to Pillars of Eternity and Baldur's Gate where so many complaints about PoEt stem from the fact that it doesn't operate on D&D rules and the player's refusal to accept that decision. In Grim Dawn legendary items are powerful but unlike Diablo they're not necessary until end game builds. Same as gearing up based on item level - necessary in Diablo, more likely than not to mess you up in GD. A strong blue item can be far more valuable to a build than a higher level legendary. Heck, some green rings are worth wearing just for the resistance boosts.

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Feb 17, 2018, 06:28 panbient

I find the whole behaviour / outrage around DLC / microtransactions rather baffling.

When it's pay to win 'upgrades' - people freak out.
When it's extra content but not a full expansion - people freak out.
When it's purely cosmetic - people freak out.

The only DLC model I've seen that never seemed to generate any sort of real negative backlash is extra songs for rhythm / music games.

If anything the purely cosmetic microtransactions should be the most benign but I'm quite certain the majority of the people who read this site remember the Oblivion Horse Armor shitfit from back in the day.

News Comments > Jess Cliffe Arrest Details
39. Re: Jess Cliffe Arrest Details Feb 4, 2018, 05:51 panbient

Holy crap the victim blaming...

There's a pretty simple way to avoid these kind of situations. If you think you need to ask a young woman her age (or proof thereof) then SHE'S TOO YOUNG. Even if she turns out to be "legal".

But when you're looking to pay through a Sugar Daddy / Sugar Baby website for a hookup there are probably other issues going on (with the john). Rather than looking into her background (wtf? blame the victim more). Look into the fact that he was a middle aged man looking to push the edge of the envelope and obviously didn't care about her real age so long as she told him it was ok.

It might not be clinical pedophilia but it was certainly some form of exploitation.

If anything this is another example of why prostitution should be legalized and controlled - for the health and benefit of both parties.

News Comments > GDC Pulls Bushnell's Pioneer Award
11. Re: CIG Responds to Crytek Feb 1, 2018, 06:13 panbient

jdreyer wrote on Feb 1, 2018, 02:30:

You need to read up son, cuz all the shit he did, he did that shit at work. And he put it in his biography.

So with that logic in place why do I need to keep seeing Nikki Sixx's stupid face on tv commercials for another music variety show? And some of the stuff he and Tommy Lee claim they did to groupies in The Dirt is far beyond anything I've read about Bushnell.

Where are the protests against Van Halen? David Lee Roth famously spoke of a 'volley ball' team. Where are the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame protests against just about everyone they've awarded? Even if Bon Jovi sterilized his / their image over the years you can still find pics of him surrounded by a bed load of topless groupies from early in their career if you dig enough.

Bushnell's reaction is a good one. But that does not mean this specific outrage is not veering towards vilifying individuals today for norms of yesterday's society. And the current double standard I'm seeing (again where are the protests against rock stars?...) isn't really helping things.

Harassment and intimidation is a very real issue in software development. Reminding employees how easily they can be replaced by the next crop of college graduates is both incredibly demoralizing and a nasty way of justifying not paying them their actual worth - and that's rather benign compared to the aggression most women are subjected to. I just don't see how this specific GDC decision is going to accomplish anything outside the gamer echo chamber.

Maybe, I don't know, instead of punishing someone from the past who hasn't otherwise been charged with any sort of aggression (besides living in tasteless times) maybe honour a current employer who's actually doing it right? Are there any companies (with more than just 3-4 employees) who've actually managed it?

News Comments > GDC Reconsidering Bushnell Award After Backlash
4. Re: GDC Reconsidering Bushnell Award After Backlash Jan 31, 2018, 11:45 panbient

I'm not trying to discredit the current movements for equality and respect, but there's a difference between behaving along social norms and actively trying to harm or oppress another person.

Living like it was the 70s in the 70s seems pretty normal. They didn't try to pretend like they were anything else. Sure it's an embarrassing part of our social history but that's not what's being recognized with this award. Or at least that wouldn't be what is being recognized if it wasn't being hunted.

If Bushnell is going to be denied recognition for starting Atari and the first video game boom then I think just about every other media award ever should be scrapped too. Virtually no classic rock star would be worthy by this metric.

News Comments > Are "Let's Play" Streams Legal?
33. Re: Are Jan 29, 2018, 12:39 panbient

Darks wrote on Jan 29, 2018, 12:30:

Again, you are delusional, you clearly dont have a fricking clue about what your talking about. Your just interjecting your opinion about this. You have no facts to back your opinion.

Neither do you.

A single anecdote about a single product does not demonstrate objective market behaviour.

31. Re: Are Jan 29, 2018, 12:37 panbient

Jerykk wrote on Jan 29, 2018, 12:30:
Publishers and developers will give streamers free copies of their games in order to take advantage of that. Some publishers and developers will even pay streamers to play their games.

That's kind of exactly what the lawyer says would not be an issue.

If the developer or publisher is on board with the streaming of their content there's no issue.

The issue is when the streamer decides they don't need the permission of the people who legally control the IP for the product.

19. Re: Are Jan 29, 2018, 11:49 panbient

So... what's stopping the streamers from just asking the developers or publishers for permission before broadcasting?

Seems like that would eliminate any sort of issue.

Sure, the giants like EA and Ubi would probably say no, or only support a hired employee. But as it's been mentioned the indie developers who stand to gain the most from this medium would likely be a lot more receptive to the idea.

News Comments > Star Citizen Website Relaunches, Offers New Trailer
2. Re: Star Citizen Website Relaunches, Offers New Trailer Jan 26, 2018, 11:23 panbient

Remember when we all thought we were just going to get a new Wing Commander Privateer game and how cautiously optimistic everyone felt?

If that idea would have been a night of passion that resulted in pregnancy it would have started elementary school by now.

734 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo