Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bruno Beaudoin

Real Name Bruno Beaudoin   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ItBurn
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.blazingbitgames.com
Signed On Mar 8, 2011, 17:00
Total Comments 1691 (Pro)
User ID 56211

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
34. Re: Steam Top 10 May 23, 2016, 13:29 ItBurn

Beamer wrote on May 23, 2016, 13:20:
Maybe you should have kicked your difficulty level down. Maybe that would have given you the easier enemies-get-blasted-apart experience you wanted.

I played the game at hard, or whatever the difficulty just before nightmare is called, and it's pretty easy. I did die, a couple of times, but I generally completely dominate. This is the amount of difficulty/success/failure that I enjoy. The problem isn't with the difficulty, it's with how satisfying the combat is.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Steam Top 10 May 23, 2016, 13:27 ItBurn

Beamer wrote on May 23, 2016, 13:17:
ItBurn wrote on May 23, 2016, 12:43:

It's just my opinion, but I feel that people who prefer the glory kill thing either haven't played better or don't have enough experience with games to imagine better. Maybe I just have different tastes...

And yet, weirdly, all you can do is keep going back to Brutal Doom, a modification on a game 23 years old.

So, this is your "better?" A 23 year old game heavily modded? You realize how condescending what you said is, particularly when you say it here, a board where nearly all posters are over 30 and have been gaming before Doom, with very large Steam libraries.

It isn't like you're naming a ton of games that you think are better, just a 23 year old one. Which you can still play all you want.

What I see is a board with a majority of people that think that the new Doom is the best thing ever. I try to get people to wake up. I call it how it is. I didn't mean to offend anyone.

Brutal Doom's gameplay it completely modern despite the graphics not being so. Also old Doom's level design is way ahead of today's design. Sure it doesn't look like reality, but it has a lot of substance. The new Doom's level design is actually really similar, so I never complained about that. This is one more proof that parts of today's games are actually worse than some 23 year old games. Total Biscuit agrees with me and actually made a whole video just about that.

You're doing yourself a disfavor if you trivialize what was accomplished with brutal doom. Do you really want me to list all the games with better combat? I got other things to do All I say is just my opinion, if you disagree, fine. I will name the game Blood though, because it's my favorite of all time. I think brutal doom's combat was heavily influenced by it. There's no shooter out there where the combat is as satisfying as in Blood.

30. Re: Steam Top 10 May 23, 2016, 12:53 ItBurn

Drayth wrote on May 23, 2016, 12:51:
You can turn off the flashing, that's the first thing I did.

You *can* one-shot enemies. In fact there's times where you have to switch away from the shotgun if you want to get health off an easy enemy. Maybe there's a little more health added to enemies for purposes of the glory kills? It hasn't really come to mind as an issue personally till thinking about it just now.

Yeah, I turned it off, it helps, but sometimes it's hard to know if you can do the glory kill or not and you take damage you shouldn't have taken.

Yes, a lot of times you can one shot enemies, but a lot of times it doesn't work. I dare say most of the time they don't die. Seems to me like they balanced their health in such a way that they go into stunned state most of the time.

28. Re: Steam Top 10 May 23, 2016, 12:43 ItBurn

Jerykk wrote on May 23, 2016, 12:30:
ItBurn wrote on May 23, 2016, 11:32:
I strongly disagree with people that think glory kills are a good thing. Just go play Brutal Doom. The combat is faster and flows much better. The glory kills turn enemies into bullet sponges and you constantly have to walk over to them to melee them. Sure, you can also spend like one or two extra shots of wasted ammo if you don't want to go run up to them, but for me that's unacceptable. I just want to shoot an enemy and have it die and be throw around the room... I can't have that anymore most of the time. Also, you can't turn them off. You can only turn off the animation, which is what I did. It does improve it a little, but only visually.

Also, the max amount of enemies at a time might not be 6, but it's definitely very small. It always feels like you're fighting a handful of demons and once you kill one, another one respawns. Maybe you guys don't have the eye for it? It's just like Borderlands, and it breaks the immersion for me. Original Doom can have at least 10 times the amount of enemies on screen and some levels do.

If your guns could one-shot every enemy, it would be too easy. The point of giving enemies a lot of health is to force you to keep moving and switch up your weapons. You should be maximizing your DPS by constantly switching weapons. Conserving ammo should not be a consideration, which is why glory kills give you ammo.

I never said I wanted to one shot everything. I disagree with your assumption that you shouldn't think about conserving ammo. Brutal Doom isn't easy and its combat is more similar to the classic Dooms. It forces you to switch weapons, keep moving and be careful with ammo. That's what I want from a Doom game, because it's more satisfying and fun. What they did in the new Doom isn't terrible, but it's just not as good as it could be. I'm using Brutal Doom as an example, but there are lots of other games with more satisfying combat that doesn't have glory kills.

Here's an example of something that happens all the time in the new doom. You see an imp, a low health cannon fodder enemy, and you shoot him with a direct hit. Instead of dying and being thrown across the room in a satisfying fashion, it just stays there, barely reacting to your shot and enters a "stunned" state, which is basically death. Eventually it'll come out of stunned state, but it takes a long time for most enemies. Now you have to either go up to that imp and melee him, or you have to shoot him again and waste ammo. In both instances you waste time and it's less satisfying. Also, the imp is flashing like an asshole and it looks like a Disney arcade game and that takes you out of the immersion and it annoys your brain into thinking more about that monster than you should. You can't just continue killing, you have to go take care of that annoying thing.

It's just my opinion, but I feel that people who prefer the glory kill thing either haven't played better or don't have enough experience with games to imagine better. Maybe I just have different tastes...

26. Re: Steam Top 10 May 23, 2016, 11:32 ItBurn

I strongly disagree with people that think glory kills are a good thing. Just go play Brutal Doom. The combat is faster and flows much better. The glory kills turn enemies into bullet sponges and you constantly have to walk over to them to melee them. Sure, you can also spend like one or two extra shots of wasted ammo if you don't want to go run up to them, but for me that's unacceptable. I just want to shoot an enemy and have it die and be throw around the room... I can't have that anymore most of the time. Also, you can't turn them off. You can only turn off the animation, which is what I did. It does improve it a little, but only visually.

Also, the max amount of enemies at a time might not be 6, but it's definitely very small. It always feels like you're fighting a handful of demons and once you kill one, another one respawns. Maybe you guys don't have the eye for it? It's just like Borderlands, and it breaks the immersion for me. Original Doom can have at least 10 times the amount of enemies on screen and some levels do.

12. Re: Steam Top 10 May 23, 2016, 00:30 ItBurn

I played 5 hours of the new Doom SP and it was exactly what I expected. So far it's a 7.5 for me. There's major flaws in the game that could easily have been prevented. I can't understand why they made these decisions. Mostly, the engine has texture issues, the glory kills are a terrible and make the combat worse, it's all about "enter clear fight area, area locks, enemies spawn out of nowhere, kill enemies, area unlocks" and there's never really more than 6 enemies at a time. The level design is great though, much better than the linear bullshit we get in games nowadays.  

News Comments > Talos Principle 2 Revealed
2. Re: Talos Principle 2 Revealed May 20, 2016, 10:02 ItBurn

I loved the first game, but I can't see how they could make a sequel. It was all about finding out what was happening, now we know...  

News Comments > Fallout 4 Far Harbor Released
18. Re: Fallout 4 Far Harbor Released May 19, 2016, 15:06 ItBurn

Darks wrote on May 19, 2016, 15:02:
ItBurn wrote on May 19, 2016, 13:45:
RedEye9 wrote on May 19, 2016, 13:42:
Peter M. Smith wrote on May 19, 2016, 13:23:
Cutter wrote on May 19, 2016, 13:01:
When you see someone referring to a price that's different from what you see, you can safely assume they're talking about their own currency.

I assume little when I'm having a discussion on the InterWebs. Especially when the changed number is the one adjacent on a keyboard to the number I expect to see.

I know where I'm from so it's only logical to assume that everyone knows where everyone else is from, NOT.

For me, it's completely natural when I read prices to assume it's not necessarily my currency. Maybe that's because I'm not from the US. Most people from the US have a bit of a "center of the world" mentality and I can understand that it would be natural for them to think that everyone talks about US currency. It's not an insult, it's just how it is.

Nothing against you itBurn, but in most cases, the US is pretty much the center of the world. Most games are developed here in the states. US Currency is an international currency. So that's why you see a lot of that going on here.

Case and point, you are from Europe most likely but here you are hanging out on a US gaming news server. Need I say more?

I'm Canadian. Is this really a US centric site? Like a lot of things, the US were first in the world at some point, but things change... In my opinion, Montreal is the real mecca of video games these days and that's in Canada.

15. Re: Fallout 4 Far Harbor Released May 19, 2016, 13:45 ItBurn

RedEye9 wrote on May 19, 2016, 13:42:
Peter M. Smith wrote on May 19, 2016, 13:23:
Cutter wrote on May 19, 2016, 13:01:
When you see someone referring to a price that's different from what you see, you can safely assume they're talking about their own currency.

I assume little when I'm having a discussion on the InterWebs. Especially when the changed number is the one adjacent on a keyboard to the number I expect to see.

I know where I'm from so it's only logical to assume that everyone knows where everyone else is from, NOT.

For me, it's completely natural when I read prices to assume it's not necessarily my currency. Maybe that's because I'm not from the US. Most people from the US have a bit of a "center of the world" mentality and I can understand that it would be natural for them to think that everyone talks about US currency. It's not an insult, it's just how it is.

13. Re: Fallout 4 Far Harbor Released May 19, 2016, 13:28 ItBurn

CJ_Parker wrote on May 19, 2016, 13:10:
The only real bargain is buying the GOTY for $4.99 on Steam one day. It's a single player game. The content ain't going nowhere. No need to rush shit.

While on paper it's true, I think that in some cases, timing can dramatically impact how much you enjoy a game. You can enjoy some media more if you consume it at the right time, leaving you with a higher level of overall happiness in your life Spoilers, the mood of the times, better games, too many games, the missed opportunity for discussion and other games copying the advances of the older one can all lead to a diminished experience.

I think the best strategy is to play what you're more excited about at all times. But yeah, that's not always easy to do, especially for financial reasons and because you have other things you're invested in.

News Comments > DRAGON BALL XENOVERSE 2 Announced
2. Re: DRAGON BALL XENOVERSE 2 Announced May 17, 2016, 22:51 ItBurn

I love Dragonball Z. Xenoverse 1 was a bit shitty, but was still fun and essentially worth the asking price for fans. Also, it's rare we get DBZ stuff for PC. I'm interested in this one.  

News Comments > DOOM Released
145. Re: DOOM Released May 15, 2016, 14:13 ItBurn

Quinn wrote on May 15, 2016, 04:54:
Honest question, you have played the multiplayer? Personally I find it hard to imagine another game of this day and age that would feel more like the old Doom/Quake. I'm honestly doubting if people's pink shades aren't blinding them. I simply think I'm not the only one who has moved on, whether most people realize it or not.

I could be wrong, of course, but this is how I feel about it

I played a couple hours of the multiplayer beta. I played the old doom multi AND quake 3 recently. I stand by what I say and from all the comments I read, people agree: it's halo + cod with no trace of doom or quake. People actually expected quake, because the original doom mp was a bit barren. It's an ID game, so it should push their multiplayer style(quake) further. It didn't. This is why people hate the MP so much. You haven't seen this??? The only thing in common with Quake is that they're both non-real world online competitive shooters...

130. Re: DOOM Released May 14, 2016, 20:57 ItBurn

bigspender wrote on May 14, 2016, 20:53:
ItBurn wrote on May 14, 2016, 20:40:
Quinn wrote on May 14, 2016, 19:50:
Kosumo wrote on May 14, 2016, 19:31:
So any feed back on the multi player yet? Who ahs given it a try?

Well watch my vid in the link I posted earlier.

Multiplayer is much like the old days. And I'm talking early-mid '90s. It' s pew pew pew pew pew until one guy drops and besides that it's running around picking up armor, health and power-ups to make sure you keep the advantage. Nothing more. Nothing less.

My personal conclusion in the review is that I've "moved on". We all look back to those days as if they were perfect but that's nostalgia. After playing class-based MP like Enemy Territory, Dirty Bomb and the awesome Overwatch beta... I can no longer find my satisfaction in the pew pew mentioned above.

What? Everyone tried the multiplayer beta. It's NOTHING like the old game or early-mid 90's gameplay. It's a mix of the modern call of dutys and halos. The team who worked on it worked on call of duty and halo. There's absolutely no Doom in there.

Edit: with that said, if you like the gameplay and speed of Halo with the unlocks and loadouts of Call of Duty, you'll enjoy this. It's mostly bland though.

They've also mixed up Doom with Quake. It's a poor version of Quake 3 / Live. I don't know what they were thinking.

I really wish they just went for Co-op instead.

What? No... There's no Quake either in the new Doom. People wouldn't have complained if it was more like Quake. But this has no weapon pickups, projectiles don't affect physics, there's no gun specific ammo, it has slower speeds with no bunny hopping, etc...

128. Re: DOOM Released May 14, 2016, 20:40 ItBurn

Quinn wrote on May 14, 2016, 19:50:
Kosumo wrote on May 14, 2016, 19:31:
So any feed back on the multi player yet? Who ahs given it a try?

Well watch my vid in the link I posted earlier.

Multiplayer is much like the old days. And I'm talking early-mid '90s. It' s pew pew pew pew pew until one guy drops and besides that it's running around picking up armor, health and power-ups to make sure you keep the advantage. Nothing more. Nothing less.

My personal conclusion in the review is that I've "moved on". We all look back to those days as if they were perfect but that's nostalgia. After playing class-based MP like Enemy Territory, Dirty Bomb and the awesome Overwatch beta... I can no longer find my satisfaction in the pew pew mentioned above.

What? Everyone tried the multiplayer beta. It's NOTHING like the old game or early-mid 90's gameplay. It's a mix of the modern call of dutys and halos. The team who worked on it worked on call of duty and halo. There's absolutely no Doom in there.

Edit: with that said, if you like the gameplay and speed of Halo with the unlocks and loadouts of Call of Duty, you'll enjoy this. It's mostly bland though.

News Comments > People Can Fly FPS Plans
8. Re: People Can Fly FPS Plans May 14, 2016, 16:23 ItBurn

Beamer wrote on May 14, 2016, 15:53:
HoSpanky wrote on May 14, 2016, 14:08:
I thought Bulletstork was ridiculously over the top fun. Every level had something wild happen, and the dialogue was stupid and silly and cracked me up.

And I thought that Shadow Warrior and Hard Reset were remarkably dull and uninventive, so I'm learning to never talk recommendations with ItBurn, haha.

Well to be fair I thought that Hard Reset was terrible The shooting was solid though. Shadow Warrior was just a solid game overall and had more destruction than most games. It wasn't really innovative, just solid fun.

4. Re: People Can Fly FPS Plans May 14, 2016, 13:03 ItBurn

Warskull wrote on May 14, 2016, 13:01:
ItBurn wrote on May 14, 2016, 12:47:
I loved painkiller. Especially the Black edition, damn. But I haaaate Bulletstorm. It's a terrible game in every way for me. So I don't know what to think about that announcement...

People Can Fly split up after it got bought by Epic. Their best talent seems to have gone to Flying Wild Hog. FWH made Hard Reset and the Shadow Warrior reboot.

Makes a lot of sense. Shadow Warrior reboot was great and I can't wait for the sequel.

110. Re: DOOM Released May 14, 2016, 12:54 ItBurn

Is it possible to shoot only a single barrel of the super shotgun or are you forced to shoot both of them at once? This is actually super important for me  

2. Re: People Can Fly FPS Plans May 14, 2016, 12:47 ItBurn

I loved painkiller. Especially the Black edition, damn. But I haaaate Bulletstorm. It's a terrible game in every way for me. So I don't know what to think about that announcement...  

17. Re: DOOM Released May 13, 2016, 11:26 ItBurn

When you buy your games on these shady sites with huge discounts, you have to understand that you're shooting yourself in the foot. The developers get less money per sale and this affects the frequency and quality of games of that type. Vote with your wallet. Encourage the devs and games you like... I understand that these publishers aren't panhandlers and that you're not rich, but you're still affecting the game industry.  

8. Re: DOOM Released May 13, 2016, 10:56 ItBurn

Comments seems to say that there's only ever 6 enemies on screen at once. Also, they say that it's all about "enter room, room locked, kill all enemies, room unlocked". Are these true?  

1691 Comments. 85 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo