Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bruno Beaudoin

Real Name Bruno Beaudoin   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ItBurn
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.blazingbitgames.com
Signed On Mar 8, 2011, 17:00
Total Comments 1649 (Pro)
User ID 56211

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > DOOM Trailers
1. Re: DOOM Trailers May 11, 2016, 21:24 ItBurn

Ugh, I really want to buy it, regardless of all the bad things about it. It takes willpower to wait for reviews.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Civilization VI Announced
20. Re: Civilization VI Announced May 11, 2016, 14:46 ItBurn

Only one unit per tile of V was a complete deal breaker for me. Capturing a city was about bringing a constant stream of single units rather than attacking it with large forces. It wasn't fun. It looks like they improved that a bit, but I don't feel like it'll be enough.  

News Comments > Microsoft Improving UWP Gaming
1. Re: Microsoft Improving UWP Gaming May 10, 2016, 21:20 ItBurn

No Microsoft, NO  

News Comments > DOOM @ 200 FPS Under Vulkan
44. Re: Doom, verticality May 9, 2016, 17:15 ItBurn

Slick wrote on May 9, 2016, 17:09:
ItBurn wrote on May 9, 2016, 16:01:
Beamer wrote on May 9, 2016, 15:33:
I really never understood the M+b vs controller debate.

Ultimately, I just don't care. A fun game is fun. I play Rocket League using M+K, which is idiotic - I have a receiver for the Xbox 360 controller sitting in the Amazon shipping envelope in a drawer nearby; it'd take me 5 minutes to set it up. But I don't. M+K is fine for me. I've played plenty of other racing games with it, too, and done just fine in them, even though you're sometimes wiggling like crazy to get the right line.

And I play a ton of FPS games on consoles. Controllers work great there. The games are designed for it, and designed well for it, and every single other player is using a controller so no one is significantly better than you due to what you're using. If anything, it's a more even playing field because you don't have some guy with a super expensive setup destroying you.

I dunno, for me, both input methods are fine. Both have their purposes, but I find I can adapt to any input method fairly quickly. Using the wrong one in multiplayer is a disadvantage if others use the right one, but the less I game the less interested I am in multiplayer, so...

I don't care what other people use to control their games, but I do hate when my favorite control scheme is badly implemented. I don't agree with the argument that games are "designed for the controller". This means that on PC, you simply must support the mouse and keyboard, because that's all a lot of people have. Also, I absolutely can't stand controllers for first person shooters, even in single player, and I don't like how they design games around its limitations. Oh I died because I couldn't turn fast enough? That's fun... Or, enemies can't shoot for sh*t to compensate for the slow controller aiming? That's fun... This often/always bleeds into PC ports too, especially in the interface department. I've been playing fun games with mouse/keyb that were designed for the controller, but they'd be a lot more fun if the port was proper. How can you not be frustrated when you can see how better it could be?

"games designed for the controller" isn't an argument, it's a fact. It's a design choice. It's fairly obvious when they are, menus use a radial menu DESIGNED for an analog stick, the weapons/abilities are usually no higher a number than the number of buttons on a controller.

I'm not saying that I love it when a 3rd party dev does a half-assed port of an FPS game from console to PC without native mouse support. As I mentioned, most of the time the people doing the port is not the studio that designed the game. They might not even have a way to enable native mouse support, so have to hack together some analog stick emulation which is often the worst. That shit irritates me to no end.

But that doesn't mean that games aren't designed for controllers. If you don't have one on PC, then you're forgoing a big chunk of the available library out there. you can play a flight sim with KB/M, but it'll be the "bad" choice over a HOTAS, same with a racing sim and a wheel+pedals, same with a Vive game without the motion controllers, lol or the headset!

PC gaming is all about customizing peripherals. Customizing everything. So don't tell me that the most open gaming platform that's ever existed can only design games for ONE input method. That's how console peasants speak.

We agree about the games being designed for a controller thing. I just said that not properly supporting kb/m is not an excuse that I will accept. I've never played a PC game with a controller and while it was rough sometimes, I still preferred the improved aiming that kb/m afforded. Except with Dead Space, which was literally unplayable in every way, not only controls. I've never said that they should support *only* keyboard and mouse. I'm all for variety, but you should support kb/m, because everyone has them. It's the default controlling method, like gamepads for consoles.

42. Re: Doom, verticality May 9, 2016, 17:09 ItBurn

<Electric-Spock> wrote on May 9, 2016, 16:56:
For an FPS, the M+K is far superior, just as for a fighting game like Tekken or Street Fighter, the controller is better, and even mo better is an arcade stick.

I think that the keyboard is far better for fighting games than a controller or fight stick. It's harder to master, yes, but pressing a direction key is immediate while moving a stick takes some time. It's much faster to do circle motions or to alternate left and right quickly.

37. Re: Doom, verticality May 9, 2016, 16:01 ItBurn

Beamer wrote on May 9, 2016, 15:33:
I really never understood the M+b vs controller debate.

Ultimately, I just don't care. A fun game is fun. I play Rocket League using M+K, which is idiotic - I have a receiver for the Xbox 360 controller sitting in the Amazon shipping envelope in a drawer nearby; it'd take me 5 minutes to set it up. But I don't. M+K is fine for me. I've played plenty of other racing games with it, too, and done just fine in them, even though you're sometimes wiggling like crazy to get the right line.

And I play a ton of FPS games on consoles. Controllers work great there. The games are designed for it, and designed well for it, and every single other player is using a controller so no one is significantly better than you due to what you're using. If anything, it's a more even playing field because you don't have some guy with a super expensive setup destroying you.

I dunno, for me, both input methods are fine. Both have their purposes, but I find I can adapt to any input method fairly quickly. Using the wrong one in multiplayer is a disadvantage if others use the right one, but the less I game the less interested I am in multiplayer, so...

I don't care what other people use to control their games, but I do hate when my favorite control scheme is badly implemented. I don't agree with the argument that games are "designed for the controller". This means that on PC, you simply must support the mouse and keyboard, because that's all a lot of people have. Also, I absolutely can't stand controllers for first person shooters, even in single player, and I don't like how they design games around its limitations. Oh I died because I couldn't turn fast enough? That's fun... Or, enemies can't shoot for sh*t to compensate for the slow controller aiming? That's fun... This often/always bleeds into PC ports too, especially in the interface department. I've been playing fun games with mouse/keyb that were designed for the controller, but they'd be a lot more fun if the port was proper. How can you not be frustrated when you can see how better it could be?

34. Re: Doom, verticality May 9, 2016, 15:25 ItBurn

Doombringer wrote on May 9, 2016, 15:18:
CJ_Parker wrote on May 9, 2016, 12:35:
It applies more than ever. Back in the day when id games were PC exclusive and Carmack was still on board, people bought the latest id game not just for the game but also as benchmarks for what is the visual state of the art in gaming. I was one of them. I wasn't even that interested in the Dooms or Quake 1 + 2 or Q3A as a game but I did not want to miss out on the graphical spectacle.

This new Doom? Laughable garbage. Low detail, slow pace, little variety, everything is low res, zoomed in and XXL for controller friendliness, same goes for the lack of vertical gameplay, everything happens in a narrow band in front of the player so controllers basically only need to be moved left/right and only slightly up/down.
The console compromises here are plain as day to see for anyone with an eye for the analytical detail of why a game is made as it is and I'm more than happy to share my expertise with y'all (even if most of ya don't deserve it! ).

You're complaining about a lack of vertical gameplay in a Doom game... which never had a variety of vertical gameplay (beyond a few platforms or stairs). In fact, you couldn't even mouselook up and down in classic Doom or Doom 2...

A lot of people could argue that too much vertical play is actually UN-Doomish and not something they want. And "controller friendliness"? The original Doom had how many controls exactly? Weapon swaps, strafe, shoot... not even reload! And the display... huge numbers for health and ammo and armor.

Did we play the same classic Doom?

Most people are OK with modernizing Doom, but not as a dumbed down console port for the lowest common denominator. They want a PC game. Brutal Doom does vertical gameplay pretty well while maintaining that "Doom" feel, especially in the 30 level map pack.

We absolutely want remakes of old PC franchises to be different and modernized, but they must keep their identity and core features.

11. Re: DOOM @ 200 FPS Under Vulkan May 9, 2016, 11:13 ItBurn

The gameplay seemed much faster in this video compared to what we've seen so far. So that's good. The press X to kill animations were even more unsatisfying though. He's running around one-shotting enemies and there's this one guy that starts flashing red and blue and he has to backtrack to deal with it. The game doesn't look like doom. He's fighting aliens in a clean space station, not demons in a dirty mars facility.  

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed May 7, 2016, 09:58 ItBurn

I dunno, I often read Steam reviews and I find them a very useful tool in telling if a game is good or if it matches my tastes. Sure there's a bunch of useless ones, but who cares? They're filtered by most useful and using the other filters is also very helpful. I didn't read the article, but it seems like clickbait to me.  

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Announced
9. Re: Battlefield 1 Announced May 6, 2016, 23:01 ItBurn

Kxmode wrote on May 6, 2016, 22:54:
Gotta love that White Stripes remix.

I personally thought that the song was cheesy. I wanted to hear a version of the classic Battlefield theme instead. With that said, I think this looks fun and different.

News Comments > Vampire Bloodlines TMed
3. Re: Vampire Bloodlines TMed May 6, 2016, 22:55 ItBurn

Cutter wrote on May 6, 2016, 22:04:
Creston wrote on May 6, 2016, 21:37:
It was a great RPG, but it was so horrendously broken on release that I'm sure nobody was really surprised when it didn't sell well.

It was even more galling that the game had been done for over a year (since they had to wait for HL2 to come out first), and they fixed absolutely jack shit in that timespan...

Yeah, without the community fixes the game would have been a blip on gaming history radar. Still, everyone's been waiting for this for a long time. Let's hope they don't drop the ball.

You'd need the right dev to make it, but I don't think there's one that exists...

News Comments > DOOM Launch Trailer & System Requirements
33. Re: DOOM Launch Trailer & System Requirements May 6, 2016, 14:02 ItBurn

D-Rock wrote on May 6, 2016, 13:47:
ItBurn wrote on May 6, 2016, 10:32:
Megatextures load a gigantic texture into video card memory and the quality of it is limited by video card memory, which is why the textures are blurry as hell. This isn't a console induced limitation. They released improved textures for Rage because of people complaining and the textures were of the same shitty quality, except with a "sharpen" filter. It was ridiculous. Now, this was id tech 5, I haven't seen a game using id tech 6(was dishonored id tech 6? Cause that was blurry as all hell). From what I hear and see though, textures lack definition up close and there's texture pop in. The games look great from afar, but if you take time to look, you see that they lack definition up close and that the whole game has a washed up look. That's what I see in all id tech 6 games. I did play the Doom mp beta that uses id tech 6 and it definitely lacks well defined textures. The whole game is blurry too, but maybe that's because it was beta...

You have no clue how megatexture works. It's basically texture streaming -- it does not load a gigantic texture into video card memory. A 'megatexture' is generally too big to fit in video memory, so a texture 'buffer' is used for the portion of the texture you see. The whole point of it is to not have repeating textures. They first used it in Quake Wars for the map terrain, and it worked really well. Another added benefit is that there are fewer limitations based on video memory.

They did not release improved textures for Rage. They released a patch that enabled more visual options, including the sharpen filter.

The DOOM multiplayer beta was not representative of the final product and they've made that clear for quite some time now. There are significantly more visual options available for the PC upon release.

Your ignorance is astounding. Do some research before you rant about things that aren't true and look like an idiot.

I dunno, that's how I understood it from Carmack explaining it. That was years ago, so maybe my mind isn't that reliable.

The way the patch was advertised was kinda confusing. I found an article, and it does seem to say it's just filters, but the way the patch was advertised(by news sites) made it seem like it was new textures.

The fact that I was wrong about two points doesn't make it so Rage has good textures.

I'm sorry that my mind doesn't remember exactly every detail from 5 years ago... Also, you might want to tone down the personal insults if you want people to take you seriously.

I never said the multiplayer beta was representative of the final product, just that there's no reason to believe tech 6 is going to be better than 5 for textures.

29. Re: DOOM Launch Trailer & System Requirements May 6, 2016, 10:58 ItBurn

RedEye9 wrote on May 6, 2016, 10:41:
ItBurn wrote on May 6, 2016, 10:07:
As for id tech 6 engine, it's a turd. T

id Tech 6 is new, no one knows what it's like until we get are hands on Doom. You're referring to id Tech 5.

Well I did play Doom mp beta. It was extremely blurry, like it upscaled a lower resolution. Plus the whole game has a bunch of forced blurry settings. Don't know what was up with that, but so far I didn't see better textures from tech 6.

28. Re: DOOM Launch Trailer & System Requirements May 6, 2016, 10:56 ItBurn

Razumen wrote on May 6, 2016, 10:42:
ItBurn wrote on May 6, 2016, 10:32:
Megatextures load a gigantic texture into video card memory and the quality of it is limited by video card memory, which is why the textures are blurry as hell. This isn't a console induced limitation. They released improved textures for Rage because of people complaining and the textures were of the same shitty quality, except with a "sharpen" filter. It was ridiculous. Now, this was id tech 5, I haven't seen a game using id tech 6(was dishonored id tech 6? Cause that was blurry as all hell). From what I hear and see though, textures lack definition up close and there's texture pop in. The games look great from afar, but if you take time to look, you see that they lack definition up close and that the whole game has a washed up look. That's what I see in all id tech 6 games. I did play the Doom mp beta that uses id tech 6 and it definitely lacks well defined textures. The whole game is blurry too, but maybe that's because it was beta...

Ok first of all, it was a BS shot, because I've been in that same area in the game it doesn't look that bad unless you caught it loading textures.

Secondly, EVERY engine loads textures into memory, it's not unique to Idtech5 or 6.

Thirdly, the low texture resolution IS due to consoles, because they have less video memory. Had id optimized for cards with 3-4GB of vram, the textures would've been much sharper. Carmack's tech is great, but even he was hamstrung by bad business decisions forcing console limitations onto asset creation.

Finally, pop-in was next to nonexistent in TNO, especially if you're running the game on a SSD, helps immensely in Rage as well.

You're wrong. The screenshot is what the game looks like for everyone at max details. I know it's hard to believe, but this is real. I made sure of it. I even looked at screenshots on id's own website.

Yes, every engine loads different textures into memory, but not one single gigantic texture, and especially not ALL textures. This isn't how video cards are designed to work and it caused a lot of issues. I read Carmack's post mortem of megatextures and he said it was incredibly hard to do and that it didn't turn out as great as he had hoped.

The Rage PC textures were of a better resolution than the console textures, they even released an improved PC textures patch, but even with that, they couldn't make them look good.

You claim there's no texture pop-in, but there's widespread claims of exactly that... "just use a SSD" isn't a valid argument. Most engines have great textures and no pop-in even without an SSD.

I'm sorry man, I played id tech 5 games. Some of them were good games, but the textures were always really bad if you actually took time to look and question what you were seeing. It's the nature of the engine.

25. Re: DOOM Launch Trailer & System Requirements May 6, 2016, 10:32 ItBurn

Razumen wrote on May 6, 2016, 10:22:
ItBurn wrote on May 6, 2016, 10:07:
As for id tech 6 engine, it's a turd. Terrible textures and texture popping that can't be solved. Carmack must be ashamed of it. Games made with it are borderline unplayable for me. Not because they run bad on my pc, but because of the texture issues.Id Tech

Then your computer is shite, because that's obviously a cherry picked image from Rage, and Wolfenstein TNO looked and played great. If you knew anything about IDtech6 you'd understand that the way it handles texturing of environments is far superior than using standard tiled images. The fact is that the detail in the textures was hamstrung by their support for consoles.

As for Doom, I'm eagerly waiting it's release.

The screenshot wasn't cherry picked. It's like that all over the game. This is literally seconds into the game. One of the first things you see.

23. Re: DOOM Launch Trailer & System Requirements May 6, 2016, 10:07 ItBurn

RedEye9 wrote on May 6, 2016, 08:56:
shihonage wrote on May 6, 2016, 04:31:
This video, "Doom is hurt", by an RPG Codex member, expresses my feelings with 80% accuracy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_2gQQUjx3j8

You are someone else
I am still right here

Actually brought some feels from me! Don't despair, we got indies and Brutal Doom. As for id tech 6 engine(edit: tech 5), it's a turd. Terrible textures and texture popping that can't be solved. Carmack must be ashamed of it. Games made with it are borderline unplayable for me. Not because they run bad on my pc, but because of the texture issues.

Id Tech

This comment was edited on May 6, 2016, 11:01.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Far Harbor This Month
18. Re: Fallout 4 Far Harbor This Month May 5, 2016, 09:17 ItBurn

Tachikoma wrote on May 5, 2016, 02:39:
Procedural Fallout/Skyrim would be the best thing to happen to videogaming.

Agreed! People think that procedural is bad because procedural has been done badly. Done right, it could be amazing. No publisher would sign off on this though. It's going to have to be indie.

10. Re: Fallout 4 Far Harbor This Month May 4, 2016, 17:21 ItBurn

Red wrote on May 4, 2016, 16:53:
Tachikoma wrote on May 4, 2016, 14:25:
Building a proper survival mode/game is not as easy as everybody trying to jump on the bandwagon thinks it is. It takes much more than just slapping on some rudimentary diseases and fiddling with a few stats.

But does everybody think it's easy? I've seen some pretty thoughtful and thorough posts on various forums also explaining that doing survival correctly is a lot of work and needs to be considered far more deeply than Bethesda seems to grasp. I think it's just Bethesda that thought it'd be as simple as slapping in some conditions, fiddling with stats, and adding arbitrary overhead tasks.

I don't think Bethesda thinks that this survival mode is perfect and they never claimed that it was more than what was delivered. It's just an alternate way to play the game. The only reason it exists is because it was possible for them to release this quickly without using too many resources. Modders can definitely improve on it now and Bethesda even added new features that couldn't be modded into the game that will allow modders to do even better work. I'm talking mostly about the new icons.

8. Re: Fallout 4 Far Harbor This Month May 4, 2016, 16:43 ItBurn

LittleMe wrote on May 4, 2016, 16:38:
Took them more than six months to release an expansion... 'Cause making one iz hard when your game engine is poorly executed (unstable) and your staff consistently puts out shoddy work, right Bethesda?

I'm not saying that their engine is great, but Bethesda's games are some of the finest games there are and 6 months is a great delay before an expansion release... They even gave us several smaller expansions in between...

1. Re: Fallout 4 Far Harbor This Month May 4, 2016, 13:00 ItBurn

I've been playing the survival mode and it's unplayable. The game is way too unstable. I keep dying because of bugs and losing hours of progress. I downloaded a mod that lets you place down bedrolls to save your game. I reload these in case of crashes. It does help, but progress is sooo slow. At this rate, I don't think I'll be able to get far enough in the game to be able to start Far Harbor. Might have to play it with my non-survival character.  

1649 Comments. 83 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo