Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bruno Beaudoin

Real Name Bruno Beaudoin   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ItBurn
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.blazingbitgames.com
Signed On Mar 8, 2011, 17:00
Total Comments 1570 (Pro)
User ID 56211

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 27, 2016, 13:23 ItBurn

My girlfriend fell asleep while watching Netflix. She woke up and her laptop now had Windows 10. It wouldn't start though. It couldn't connect to wifi to complete the installation. The next day, I had to connect it with a cable in order to fix the issue. If you don't have a cable, you're shit out of luck. No more laptop for you.

So win10 booted, but now when she tries to watch Netflix in Chrome, it freezes constantly and it's basically unwatchable. I tried to fix it, nothing works. She's now forced to use the Edge browser...

She(and I) never wanted Win10 and the upgrade cost us valuable hours of our life and stressed us out. So, now we're left with a shittier experience than we had before and we'd need to spend a bunch more hours in order to configure it properly, especially to disable all the spying...

I hate Microsoft.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Shadow Warrior 2 E3 Trailer
17. Re: Shadow Warrior 2 E3 Trailer Jun 26, 2016, 12:38 ItBurn

Jerykk wrote on Jun 25, 2016, 16:42:
The level design in the demo isn't very reassuring. It's exactly what I'd expect from procedurally generated levels: no real focus or direction, random objectives, etc. The combat still looks like a lot of fun but the level design feels like a definite step back from the previous game.

The level design was the weakest part of the first game. It was too linear. I'll take these procedurally generated ones any day.

I'm buying this game full price if the reviews are good.

News Comments > Shadow Warrior 2 E3 Trailer
16. Re: Shadow Warrior 2 E3 Trailer Jun 26, 2016, 12:37 ItBurn

Slick wrote on Jun 25, 2016, 22:07:
The Half Elf wrote on Jun 25, 2016, 21:46:
Slick wrote on Jun 25, 2016, 19:47:
Already pre-ordered, this and Prey.

Stoked for the new titanfall, watchdogs, and battlefield... but more stoked for this and Prey. replayed the original prey a week ago, IMO the last great game from that golden age of SP FPS games. Pound for pound, I think Prey is better than halflife.

You pre-ordered a game that has 1 cgi trailer?

Dude, I've been waiting for Prey 2 for almost a decade. It's been worked on then cancelled over several times. Such a heartbreaker. Now that it's official, fuck yeah I'm throwing money at the screen.

And no, I haven't seen the trailer on purpose, no spoilers

Slick, this new Prey seems to have NOTHING to do with the old one. I highly suggest you wait before you buy.

News Comments > DOOM Demo Extended
79. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 23, 2016, 10:41 ItBurn

I actually really liked Doom. 8/10.  

73. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 23, 2016, 10:14 ItBurn

nin wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 10:13:
ItBurn wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 10:11:
nin wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 10:10:
ItBurn wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 10:00:
Wow, you want to be this anal?

I hope the irony of your statement isn't lost on you.

Here's what happens MOST of the time when you play this game. You see an imp. You give him a direct shot with the shotgun, he goes into glory kill mode for something like 10 seconds. Now you can ignore him, and do other things

Like kill him, and move on! THAT'S the fastest way. Click the left mouse button! WHOA! Did you see that? HE DIED!!!! How did this happen???????????

You forget the part where you deal a fatal blow, but he doesn't die.

Where, exactly?

"You give him a direct shot with the shotgun, he goes into glory kill mode for something like 10 seconds."

Ok guys, it's been fun, you like glory kills and that's great for you. I don't like them and feel that they're forced. You disagree, that's fine. I really have to work now though

70. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 23, 2016, 10:13 ItBurn

Razumen wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 10:10:
I finished the game on Ultra-Violence, at no point in the game did I feel "forced" to do a glory kill. The game's difficulty is fair enough that you can get by without relying on them.

A staggered imp takes one extra shotgun shell to take out, ONE, unless you miss, which is hard to imagine if you're using a shotgun. It's even easier if you're using other weapons. There's no point in worrying about ammo anyways because the game constantly throws it at you, and if for some bizarre reason you actually DO run out, there's the chainsaw.

Let's be realistic here and call a spade a spade. What you're talking about is your own personal preference. Unless you're REALLY low on health with no pickups, there's nothing in the game "forcing" you to do a glory kill.

So you're saying that I suck at games because I had to glory kill all the time to stay alive? Git gud?

69. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 23, 2016, 10:11 ItBurn

nin wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 10:10:
ItBurn wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 10:00:
Wow, you want to be this anal?

I hope the irony of your statement isn't lost on you.

Here's what happens MOST of the time when you play this game. You see an imp. You give him a direct shot with the shotgun, he goes into glory kill mode for something like 10 seconds. Now you can ignore him, and do other things

Like kill him, and move on! THAT'S the fastest way. Click the left mouse button! WHOA! Did you see that? HE DIED!!!! How did this happen???????????

You forget the part where you deal a fatal blow, but he doesn't die.

66. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 23, 2016, 10:00 ItBurn

nin wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 09:51:
ItBurn wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 09:49:
You can either do glory kills or have a bad time.

But that's your opinion, not fact. Is there a given point in the game when you're REQUIRED to do a glory kill? If not, it's optional...

Wow, you want to be this anal? As a matter of fact, yeah, there's several points actually. I'm pretty sure that you have to glory kill bosses.

Here's what happens MOST of the time when you play this game. You see an imp. You give him a direct shot with the shotgun, he goes into glory kill mode for something like 10 seconds. Now you can ignore him, and do other things, and he'll come out of glory kill mode and start attacking you. That's not good. So you can also melee him, to save ammo, but you'll have to melee him 2-4 times. That's not good, annoying and long. You can also shoot him a second time with the shotgun, wasting ammo, but even then sometimes that's not enough! So, what, spend 2 extra rounds for no reason on the same imp? You don't have time for all this shit, there's 5 other demons eating you alive. So, what do you do? You glory kill him, it's the fastest way.

Why did you have to glory kill him? The game is designed that way. It's designed so that some fatal blows will make enemies stagger in order to allow you to do this fancy glory kill that sells games. They also give you health, which on hard mode is frickin required, so going without glory kills is artificially increasing difficulty dramatically. It's designed so you have to do glory kills.

There's no reason why we have to do these glory kills. A million other shooters are fine without it. I prefer these games, where you know when an enemy will die and it's satisfying every time. No stopping and dealing with stragglers.

64. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 23, 2016, 09:49 ItBurn

Razumen wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 09:43:
ItBurn wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 09:36:
Razumen wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 09:35:
ItBurn wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 09:26:
Beamer wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 07:35:
Ah, typical internet PC gamer attitude. "My opinion is right, you just don't know how to game!"
Git gud. Yeah, also annoys me to no end.

Razumen wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 00:26:
Don't like the Glory Kills? Don't use them.
What?? You absolutely cannot ignore them. You have to spend extra ammo for no reason to finish off these already-dead enemies and that is often not even enough! You're forced to do glory kills.

If they were dead, you wouldn't need to shoot them anymore, now would you? They ARE completely ignore-able, saying they're forced is complete hyperbole. I've gone through many fights hardly using them, if at all.

I strongly disagree.

Disagree about what? Does an employee from id come to your home, physically grab your hands, and make you perform glory kills? Do you disagree that I and many others have ignored them just fine to no detriment to the enjoyment of the game? Do you have any salient point to make at all?

Trying to play the game without often doing glory kills wouldn't work. The game is designed so you have to use them. Sure, SOMETIMES, you one-shot kill enemies. You don't HAVE to do glory kills, but the game strongly pushes you to do it, so in my eyes, you have to. Come on, I played the game! I completed it on hard with almost 100% of secrets! The game is all about doing glory kills. I don't know what else to say. You can either do glory kills or have a bad time.

62. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 23, 2016, 09:36 ItBurn

Razumen wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 09:35:
ItBurn wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 09:26:
Ah, typical internet PC gamer attitude. "My opinion is right, you just don't know how to game!"

What?? You absolutely cannot ignore them. You have to spend extra ammo for no reason to finish off these already-dead enemies and that is often not even enough! You're forced to do glory kills.

If they were dead, you wouldn't need to shoot them anymore, now would you? They ARE completely ignore-able, saying they're forced is complete hyperbole. I've gone through many fights hardly using them, if at all.

I strongly disagree.

59. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 23, 2016, 09:26 ItBurn

52. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 22, 2016, 13:13 ItBurn

Beamer wrote on Jun 22, 2016, 12:58:
I just hated the weapons and upgrades in SW (the physical ones were so pointless), hated the enemies, really hated the bosses (oh my god, the sword fights with whatshisname, or shooting a giant in the shin for 10 minutes...), etc.

Different strokes. I really felt like that game did everything poorly. I gritted through till the end because I wanted to see what a fully modded sword was like. Answer: horribly underwhelming.

These points are fair, although I thought the upgrading was ok, but I thought that the story and voice acting were great, that the combat was better than in Doom and that the levels had way more clutter, variety and destructible elements than in Doom.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
2. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 22, 2016, 11:44 ItBurn

I'm a huge megaman fan and to me the series peaked with Megaman Zero and Megaman ZX on gba and ds. I really want a new game of that type, but I just don't see any project that seems interesting. Mighty 9 looks bad and I don't like the dashing through enemies thing. There's GunVolt from the zero guys, but I don't like the tagging mechanic. Can't we just shoot/slash enemies and they die?! Why do we have to tag them or dash through them? It's annoying and unsatisfying.

I looked at 20XX and I thought that it looked bad... I don't like the graphics and it feels like it lacks direction or good level design. It may still be good regardless.

While we're talking about spiritual successors, if you want a good one, look at Bloodstained. It looks amazing and it's all the best parts of the Symphony of the night style Castlevanias. E3 gameplay

47. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 22, 2016, 09:35 ItBurn

Beamer wrote on Jun 22, 2016, 07:13:
Funny how different people can be. This is why, when people demand things like "objective reviews," I laugh. I'd give Shadow Warrior, at most, a 4 out of 10. Doom was a 9. The later levels are great.

I rate Shadow Warrior and Doom both 8/10. Great games with some flaws. I also hate glory kills and don't think the weapons are satisfying enough. It was ok, but I think it would have been way better if glory kills were out and weapons were more satisfying. I think you'd agree too if you played the Doom game I imagine Beamer I know I'll sound like a broken record, but did you play Brutal Doom? You don't need glory kills to "ballet" through levels.

24. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 21, 2016, 13:50 ItBurn

Wallshadows wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 13:39:
Game ran a lot better than I expected on Medium but the in-game performance tool leaves me a little confused. It doesn't seem to go from 1 - 100% usage because once my figures hit high teens they would turn red while my system was being stressed. Might have to run Afterburner and core temp for processor load to really get an idea and then crank up the settings to see what's bottle-necking what.

Either way, was surprised. I liked DOOM back in the day but I was never one of those hardcore fans who still play modded versions of the original and see it as the unholy grail to gaming. This, for me, is a solid deep sale / GOTY purchase.

The game generally ran well, but I had major performance issues when opening/leaving the menu and when entering/leaving challenges. FPS would drop below 1 for a couple of seconds/15 seconds. One time, it went below 1 and stayed there permanently. Even restarting the game didn't fix it. I had to reboot to fix it...

15. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 21, 2016, 11:32 ItBurn

Quboid wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 11:15:
I've read studies that confirm that demos do hurt sales, as well as being an expensive way to get publicity. There is an element that people are happy just playing the demo but it was more about people finding that the game just isn't what they hoped - it's a lot easier to make a game sound amazing on paper.

On the other hand, these studies were very general. I think there are cases were a demo could be beneficial and Doom is such a case. Plenty of us were pretty fed up with the FPS genre and had low expectations for another reboot, not helped by a generally badly received multiplayer beta. The demo will help word of mouth spread too.

Doom is mixed for me. I was talked into the Glory Kill system on paper (i.e. by people on here) but after trying the demo, I don't like that feature. Otherwise it is excellent. The demo has made me more likely to buy it.

I'll reiterate my opinion of the new Doom: Single player is great, but has important flaws.
- I don't want constant glory kills. They slow things down, remove that satisfying one-shot kill and halts your momentum (even though they claim it improves momentum).
- There's not enough open levels. There are some levels that are pretty close to the open old Doom levels, but most of them are linear.
- I don't want predictable constant door-locking arena battles with respawning enemies. Enemies should be all over the place and respawning should be rare as it's very cheap and lazy.
- I want more than 7-8 enemies on screen at once.
- Most weapons kinda suck. Not talking about damage and usefulness, just talking about the feel of use.
- The enemy design is bad. Most of them look like space aliens, not demons. Especially the cyberdemon. What
a let down.
- The end of the game loses it's freshness. You stop seeing new enemies very early and the difficulty and variety stops ramping up for no reason.
- I don't feel like replaying the game in another difficulty because it doesn't change the game in a meaningful way. I also don't want to search for all the secrets again. It's fun the first time, but it demands lots of concentration and it's very tedious when you have to do it again. Old Doom's secrets were easier to access and also you could skip them and you wouldn't gimp yourself too much. New Doom's secrets are pretty important I find, but maybe that's because I was playing it on hard.
- I had lots of crashes and game breaking bugs.
+ Loved the story, characters, voice acting and music.

10. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 21, 2016, 10:49 ItBurn

Beamer wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 10:47:
Looking back at my youth, when demos were more common and when I had far more time to play, I played a ton of demos and shareware. A ton. A huge, huge, huge, huge ton. I'd buy magazines for demo CDs. I'd say I bought, at most, 5% of the games I played the demos of. Even classics, like Doom, Carmageddon, Shadow Warrior, Blood, Grand Theft Auto, etc., games I objectively love and have monstrously fond memories of, I never actually bought. The demos had so much damn replay value that I never felt the need for the full version. I probably had 100 hours in the Doom demo. 40 in Carmaggedon, Shadow Warrior, Blood, Grand Theft Auto, Quarantine (loved that demo), etc.

Same for me. Demos were entire games back then. I don't understand how they made money.

7. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 21, 2016, 10:31 ItBurn

nin wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 10:26:
Studies show that demos slightly lower sales. (I don't have a study to show you and all I'm saying here is what I've heard in the past and may be partially wrong. Don't crucify me for not making a 500 hour study on this before making a post on this random gaming forum.)

Well, I mean you are the one making the claim...

Yeah, I wish I had time to look into this, but I don't and it's just my opinion. Feel free to dismiss it. The disclaimer is to try the dampen the venomous hate I usually get.

5. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 21, 2016, 10:22 ItBurn

Sure, some demos will equal sales, but I'm pretty sure you would have ended up buying the game anyway after seeing reviews or gameplay videos.

Studies show that demos slightly lower sales. (I don't have a study to show you and all I'm saying here is what I've heard in the past and may be partially wrong. Don't crucify me for not making a 500 hour study on this before making a post on this random gaming forum.) That's why you almost never see demos anymore. They can deter people who are on the line and deter people who like it, but not that much, because they're satisfied with just playing the demo. Fans will buy it regardless. If there's no demo, people who aren't sure will wait for reviews and will buy it if they seem good, but they might end up not liking the game, or not liking it enough for the price they paid. If there was a demo, they would have never bought the game. And with all that, demos demand resources and time that are better left for other things.

Demos are good for consumers, of course, but Beth is a company, definitely driven by money(as seen from their actions), and it's not good for them.

1. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 21, 2016, 09:49 ItBurn

Why are they doing this? It's been proven time and time again that demos don't work. Also, it's not Bethesda's habit to release demos. Seems like a waste of resources to me.  

1570 Comments. 79 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo