Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bruno Beaudoin

Real Name Bruno Beaudoin   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ItBurn
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.blazingbitgames.com
Signed On Mar 8, 2011, 17:00
Total Comments 1940 (Pro)
User ID 56211

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Valve Reviewing Review Reviews
20. Re: Valve Reviewing Review Reviews Nov 22, 2017, 03:00 ItBurn

jdreyer wrote on Nov 22, 2017, 02:04:
As for Ragnarok, it's great. I don't know if it's my favorite Marvel film. I love the first Cap movie, the first Iron Man, the first Avengers, and the first GotG, too.

For me it's Ragnarock, Deadpool and GotG1. The others are so far away that I won't even mention them.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Valve Reviewing Review Reviews Nov 21, 2017, 16:57 ItBurn

jdreyer wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 16:33:
ItBurn wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 15:55:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 15:16:
Rotten Tomatoes offers both: a fresh/rotten meta calculation of like/didn't like as well as a 10 point scale average. It includes these for both reviewers and audience members.

That's a system that pleases everyone it would seem.

I was pretty sure that the rotten tomatoes point system was based on thumbs up and not a 10 point system, just like Steam. Anyone can confirm?

Although Dacote pointed you to the RT website, it's better to look at a specific movie like Thor Ragnarok to see the scale. 92% of reviewers liked the movie, giving it an average 10 point rating of 7.5. 88% of audience members liked it, with a 4.3 out of 5 rating.

I don't understand your numbers, so I don't know if you're with me or against me :p But Thor Ragnarock isn't a good barometer of the system because it was too good of a movie. You need to get a really mediocre one. There's tons of examples in the Marvel library...

Side note, Thor Ragnarock is my favorite Marvel movie ever. The others are so... mediocre. Some are better than others, but they place too much emphasis on the hero carrying the movie. Everything else is meh, and since I'm not really a superhero guy, they rarely do anything for me. Ragnarock is just a good movie overall.

13. Re: Valve Reviewing Review Reviews Nov 21, 2017, 15:55 ItBurn

jdreyer wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 15:16:
Rotten Tomatoes offers both: a fresh/rotten meta calculation of like/didn't like as well as a 10 point scale average. It includes these for both reviewers and audience members.

That's a system that pleases everyone it would seem.

I was pretty sure that the rotten tomatoes point system was based on thumbs up and not a 10 point system, just like Steam. Anyone can confirm?

9. Re: Valve Reviewing Review Reviews Nov 21, 2017, 13:46 ItBurn

NKD wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 13:36:
ItBurn wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 13:04:

Statistically, the thumbs up would rate a 10/10 game and a 6/10 game the same, this is bad.

No, because the 10/10 game is going to have a higher proportion of "thumbs up" than the 6/10 game. This system works extremely well in a system where you have sample sizes in the thousands, as opposed to your example of movie reviews. The only "accuracy" you gain is a finer grain view of each individual score for the game. But when dealing with so many reviews, the individual scores don't matter, just the overall proportions. You can still view the text of the reviews if you need more detail.

I don't know man, in all my years of Steam use, overwhelmingly, when buying a ~90% game, I found out it was more of a ~75% game. I figured out how to know if the game is actually a ~90% one though. First, I check if the game is at least very positive. If so, then it MIGHT be a ~90% game, but there's no way to know, because of the thumbs up system. So, next step is to read reviews, mostly the negative ones, and that will tell me if it's a good game. So yeah, I think that a base 10 system would give me way more precise information upfront. Also, with the review usefulness rating, Steam could improve the base 10 system dramatically.

7. Re: Valve Reviewing Review Reviews Nov 21, 2017, 13:04 ItBurn

saluk wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 12:59:
ItBurn wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 12:41:
Quboid wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 12:24:
Cutter wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 11:21:
I wish they'd get rid of the stupid thumbs up/dowm BS and use a normal out of 10 sytem. We live in a base 10 world after all. And it's still the best way to get an overall feel for reception of the game.

Reviewers can use whatever rating system they want in their reviews. Using out-of-10 ratings for the actual score would mess up the aggregate score, which is by far the most important aspect of the entire review feature. With such a system, any score other than 0/10 or 10/10 is just telling the algorithm that your opinion is less important than the one-eyed fanboy who can only see the extremes.

Here's 3 hypothetical reviews, with numeric/thumb ratings:

1) Decent game, no masterpiece but fans of the genre should check it out. 6/10, thumbs up.
2) Very good game, they really listened to complaints about the previous title. 8/10, thumbs up.
3) LAME! MEDAL OF BATTLEDUTY IS FARR BETTErrr! 0/10, thumbs down.

Scores:
Numeric: 4.67/10, poor.
Thumbs: 66.67%, good.

The aggregate thumb rating is much more representative of the actual opinions expressed.

I absolutely disagree. I hate the thumbs up system and I can't stand the fact that the best game ever and a barely passable, generic, lowest common denominator one both get a positive rating.
Sure, there's abuse in the base 10 system, but it doesn't matter, it still gives better results.

edit: with that said, I'm not saying that the thumbs up system doesn't work, just that I prefer base 10.

You failed to comment on the point Quboid made. Thumb up/down gives much better statistical rating when there are many reviews, and since for the most part you don't know the bias of the people writing the reviews, the statistical value is more relevant to users than each individual review.

However, what they could do, is let reviewers give an x out of 10, and then statistically count things up anyway they choose, instead of JUST averaging the ratings.

Statistically, the thumbs up would rate a 10/10 game and a 6/10 game the same, this is bad. A 10/10 system is all over the place and people have bias, but it doesn't matter. The aggregate of tons of reviews will be closer to the real rating than a thumbs up system would. I mean, have you seen critic movie reviews on rotten tomatoes? The most mediocre films have 80s and 90s. If you look at games on metacritic, where most of critic reviews are on a base 10 system, you get MUCH more accurate results.

5. Re: Valve Reviewing Review Reviews Nov 21, 2017, 12:41 ItBurn

Quboid wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 12:24:
Cutter wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 11:21:
I wish they'd get rid of the stupid thumbs up/dowm BS and use a normal out of 10 sytem. We live in a base 10 world after all. And it's still the best way to get an overall feel for reception of the game.

Reviewers can use whatever rating system they want in their reviews. Using out-of-10 ratings for the actual score would mess up the aggregate score, which is by far the most important aspect of the entire review feature. With such a system, any score other than 0/10 or 10/10 is just telling the algorithm that your opinion is less important than the one-eyed fanboy who can only see the extremes.

Here's 3 hypothetical reviews, with numeric/thumb ratings:

1) Decent game, no masterpiece but fans of the genre should check it out. 6/10, thumbs up.
2) Very good game, they really listened to complaints about the previous title. 8/10, thumbs up.
3) LAME! MEDAL OF BATTLEDUTY IS FARR BETTErrr! 0/10, thumbs down.

Scores:
Numeric: 4.67/10, poor.
Thumbs: 66.67%, good.

The aggregate thumb rating is much more representative of the actual opinions expressed.

I absolutely disagree. I hate the thumbs up system and I can't stand the fact that the best game ever and a barely passable, generic, lowest common denominator one both get a positive rating.
Sure, there's abuse in the base 10 system, but it doesn't matter, it still gives better results.

edit: with that said, I'm not saying that the thumbs up system doesn't work, just that I prefer base 10.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Nov 21, 2017, 01:08 ItBurn

Ok, but 30$, really? That's way too much for an idle game.  

News Comments > Titan Quest Ragnarök Released
14. Re: Titan Quest Ragnarök Released Nov 17, 2017, 22:31 ItBurn

I don't understand what's happening. Do they think they'll make money on this? Maybe the re-release they did actually got them some money to justify this.  

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Real-Money Transactions Disabled
51. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Real-Money Transactions Disabled Nov 17, 2017, 13:18 ItBurn

Flatline wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 12:53:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 04:16:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 01:59:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 01:29:
I'm pretty sure if EA doesn't handle their stuff Disney is going to move their Star Wars IP elsewhere.
They can try. Who else is going to make them the money that EA does? Activision, maybe, but that's a big maybe. Ubi? Please.

CD Projekt Red. Any company that can employ over a 1,000 people to work on a single game (Witcher 3) and can publish it themselves, can handle a franchise like Star Wars.

A single player Star Wars RPG that makes Knights of the Old Republic look like garbage and has like 80 hours of game play?

OMG YES PLEASE

With horrible combat, boring exploration and a crappy progression system?

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Real-Money Transactions Disabled
1. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Real-Money Transactions Disabled Nov 16, 2017, 22:17 ItBurn

That's awesome. People are learning. Not sure I thought it would ever happen: consumers understanding their power. You know EA'll double down on their BS soon.  

News Comments > Path of Exile Expansion Announced
3. Re: Path of Exile Expansion Announced Nov 16, 2017, 21:39 ItBurn

The campaign is huge. I'm fairly confident that it's the biggest one in any Diablo game. The endgame is horribly boring though. Doing generic map after generic map with pretty damn close to zero chance of getting an upgrade. I have probably 100 hours in it and the grind is too overwhelming for me. This new update doesn't look like it has anything interesting enough for me.  

News Comments > Need for Speed Payback Peels Out
5. Re: Need for Speed Payback Peels Out Nov 10, 2017, 13:17 ItBurn

no  

News Comments > Obsidian Tease
12. Re: Obsidian Tease Nov 9, 2017, 13:43 ItBurn

Alpha Protocol was great. It was definitely a bit broken and somewhat unfinished, but it was just a simple and fun shooter/rpg.

Edit: Dungeon Siege 3 is in my list of worst games ever though. What a pile of steaming shit.

News Comments > Hellbound Announced
3. Re: Hellbound Announced Nov 8, 2017, 23:02 ItBurn

I prefer my characters to be at least somewhat relatable and this trailer is definitely not in the spirit of the shooters of the past. It looks more like gears of war. Also, show gameplay, no one cares about the story.  

News Comments > Ubisoft Financials
2. Re: Ubisoft Financials Nov 7, 2017, 20:29 ItBurn

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 7, 2017, 19:46:
microtransactions brought in more revenue than digital game sales
We are doomed

Actually, it's what "we" want. "We" bought those microtransactions.

News Comments > Get Watch_Dogs for Free
12. Re: Get Watch_Dogs for Free Nov 7, 2017, 17:27 ItBurn

This is my favorite GTA style game ever. There were some dumb things in the story, but I loved what you were doing and how you were doing it. I almost 100%'ed it and I never do this. I didn't like WD2 so much though... Too silly, aimless and bloated.  

News Comments > Saturday Patches
3. Re: Saturday Patches Nov 4, 2017, 23:20 ItBurn

Tried the Blood mod. The levels have some interesting features that are tough to do, but their look is a bit poor and simple. Still fun though. The problem is that level 2 crashes the game and I can't go further.  

News Comments > Runic Closed, Motiga Layoffs
6. Re: Runic Closed, Motiga Layoffs Nov 3, 2017, 22:10 ItBurn

I didn't like Torchlight 2. I think they lost sight of what made these games great(including Fate). They were cuter and simpler Diablo clones. 2 was more serious and complex and it just ended up being generic and meh. It's pretty sad because they worked so hard on it. As for Hob, I don't know if it's good or bad, but on the surface, it looks very generic. If you're going to make a puzzle platformer, it has to be immediately clear what the cool different mechanic is and what's fresh about the game. I find it hard to understand what made them greenlight this. Maybe it was a stepping stone to prove themselves in the console third person game field.  

News Comments > Far Cry 5 Co-op Trailer
10. Re: Far Cry 5 Co-op trailer Oct 30, 2017, 21:07 ItBurn

Orogogus wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 21:05:
ItBurn wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 20:45:
I think you might have clicked on a wrong link or something. The video and video descriptions are clear: "Play the entire campaign in co-op with a Friend".

I think they mean, assuming you don't finish the whole game in co-op, if you're not the host then after you go back to your own game, you have to do the same missions over again. The blurb seems to back this up: "Only the hosting player will be able to... keep the progress you make in the world"

Ah, poop. I guess I'm the one who didn't read properly. At least it seems like the other player keeps his character progress.

News Comments > Far Cry 5 Co-op Trailer
8. Re: Far Cry 5 Co-op trailer Oct 30, 2017, 20:45 ItBurn

Rhett wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 19:07:
Looks like this one yet again does not share quest progress for the joining player.. That was one of the more irritating things about co-op in the last two.

I think you might have clicked on a wrong link or something. The video and video descriptions are clear: "Play the entire campaign in co-op with a Friend".

1940 Comments. 97 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo