Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bruno Beaudoin

Real Name Bruno Beaudoin   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ItBurn
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.blazingbitgames.com
Signed On Mar 8, 2011, 17:00
Total Comments 1647 (Pro)
User ID 56211

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Blood Kickstarter Possible
23. Re: etc., etc. Jun 6, 2016, 15:57 ItBurn

Task wrote on Jun 6, 2016, 15:56:
Never heard of Blood, is that bad?

So in my quest to see if it's on GoG, I found something called - "Blood: One Whole Unit Blood" with Doom like graphics. I assume that's the one.

Yup.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Blood Kickstarter Possible Jun 6, 2016, 15:41 ItBurn

jdreyer wrote on Jun 6, 2016, 15:31:
Necrophob wrote on Jun 6, 2016, 12:37:
I loved playing Blood coop and deathmatch. As long as the new game would be like the first Blood, and nothing like the abortion that was Blood 2.

So Blood:New Blood as Doom:Doom 4?

Doom 4 did a lot of things right, but I don't want the new Blood to be like Doom 4.
- I don't want constant glory kills. They slow things down and removes that satisfying one-shot kill that Blood does so well.
- I want more open levels. Doom 4 had few of them, classic Doom and Blood were almost made exclusively of them.
- I don't want predictable constant door-locking arena battles with respawning enemies. Enemies should be all over the place and respawning should be rare as it's very cheap and lazy.
- I want more than 10 enemies on screen at once.
- The game needs to have the pushing, bouncing and sliding physics of classic Blood, which are entirely missing from Doom 4 and add so much fun.

18. Re: Blood Kickstarter Possible Jun 6, 2016, 13:15 ItBurn

I think that if a new Blood came out, I would actually shed tears of joy. It's a tough road ahead though, because as Jace says, the game was a testament to the talent of everyone who was involved. Would be hard to get such a team together.

Check out my Blood maps if the website ever comes back to life: maps

This comment was edited on Jun 6, 2016, 13:46.

News Comments > Hard Reset Redux Released
20. Re: Hard Reset Redux Released Jun 4, 2016, 11:14 ItBurn

Vio wrote on Jun 4, 2016, 09:20:
$2.20 in my zone, I like shadow warrior so I assume I'll like this.

I loved shadow warrior and I really didn't like hard reset...

News Comments > Hard Reset Redux Released
6. Re: Hard Reset Redux Released Jun 3, 2016, 13:25 ItBurn

Why???

Played the original and didn't really like it. It felt like a student project at times.

News Comments > etc., etc.
11. Re: etc., etc. Jun 3, 2016, 09:40 ItBurn

*** DELETED ***  

News Comments > etc., etc.
10. Re: etc., etc. Jun 3, 2016, 09:40 ItBurn

I'm one of those who think that reality is probably a simulation. I read a news item a month ago(probably completely false) that said that a study proved that reality doesn't exist until you measure it. To me this sounded an awful lot like a procedurally generated world in a video game. So, it's probably best we stop exploring, because the simulation might run out of ram and crash.

33 here. Gamed all my life and will game 'til I die.

News Comments > Project Highrise Trailer
1. Re: Project Highrise Trailer Jun 2, 2016, 12:11 ItBurn

I really liked sim tower, so I'm interested in this. I immediately don't like the art style though. It makes it really hard to distinguish what things are.  

News Comments > Witcher III: The Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine Released
20. Re: Witcher III: The Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine Released May 31, 2016, 15:45 ItBurn

descender wrote on May 31, 2016, 15:32:
Other than "the controls", what exactly is Witcher combat lacking in that you guys are expecting to find?

IMO All 3 games have had pretty interesting combats systems in their own right (the unpopular QTE system from the first game was consistent and well done IMO)... but if you aren't playing Witcher games on at least hard that requires potions to survive... you're only cheapening the experience for yourself. I could see slash slash slash sign not being very fun... or if you have to constantly roll to keep track of the enemies...

I must have played some other game.

I'm not getting back into that hundred page discussion. But compared to other games, Witcher 3 has dramatically more complaints about the combat.

13. Re: Witcher III: The Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine Released May 31, 2016, 13:08 ItBurn

ForgedReality wrote on May 31, 2016, 13:05:
ItBurn wrote on May 31, 2016, 11:41:
I'll be playing them eventually, in super easy mode, because the combat is terrible.

I don't know why people say this. The combat is fine. Have you even played the game? You want to dumb it down because it's "terrible," or you just lack the proper skill and it's too "hard?" Hmm...

Played the game, completed it and did much of the side content. Combat is a chore and isn't fun. It's the first game, ever, where I turned down the combat difficulty in order to complete it faster. It's not me, it's Witcher 3. Not that the combat was good in Witcher 1 and 2, but at least I didn't turn it down in these games.

6. Re: Witcher III: The Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine Released May 31, 2016, 11:41 ItBurn

I'll be playing them eventually, in super easy mode, because the combat is terrible.  

News Comments > No Man's Sky Delayed?
23. Re: No Man's Sky Delayed? May 26, 2016, 14:21 ItBurn

The Half Elf wrote on May 26, 2016, 14:14:
Games like Minecraft, or Space Engineer's or countless other sandbox games that have no story (or was added later)?

Diablo 3 had a story, but once you finish it up you resort to grinding in season. Why do people do it? Because they want to. Don't remember seeing all this BS about story in the other games threads.

Personally I'm looking forward to it.

The key is having direction, or something to work towards. Few people can play games that have nothing to work forward to. In Minecraft, you work on building something epic, or on slaying the ender dragon. In D3 you work on getting that epic loot to be the best or you try to beat the season challenges. But there's a ton of sandbox games with no direction that don't hold people's interest. I think that No Man's Sky is going to have the direction that people need, but I think people may get bored of the repetitive gameplay before they reach their goal.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Delayed?
15. Re: No Man's Sky Delayed? May 26, 2016, 13:43 ItBurn

HorrorScope wrote on May 26, 2016, 10:53:
What's peoples thoughts on Empyrion? It seems to be an epic scale with a lot more to do, from travel to planets all the way down to fighting in dungeon levels on each, crafting, survival, etc. A game that gets no pub vs another game that for some reason just gets all the pub, hasn't released, hasn't shown a lot to do.

I played Empyrion several months ago with a friend and we got bored really fast because we didn't see anything worth doing. You have no motivation to do things and surviving is really easy. It felt like an empty world with no direction and nothing pushing you to explore. So, basically, it seems to have the faults that people plant on No Man's Sky. BUT, that was months ago, maybe it's better now? We were expecting a space 7 days to die and that's not what we got.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Live Action Trailer
1. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Live Action Trailer May 26, 2016, 10:05 ItBurn

I'm hyped.  

News Comments > Mighty No. 9 Trailer
3. Re: Mighty No. 9 Trailer May 25, 2016, 20:41 ItBurn

Looks meh, but who knows. I don't like the tag and dash thing. I like it when enemies die immediately, I don't want to do a whole ceremony every time. It's less satisfying.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
42. Re: Steam Top 10 May 23, 2016, 14:38 ItBurn

Drayth wrote on May 23, 2016, 14:06:
Well yeah, it adds to the challenge, that's kinda the point...? Personally I like the added risk of trying to determine if it's a good opportunity to go in for the kill.. AND sometimes failing. You seem to want some perfect system that can't meet your expectations.

I want a perfect system, yes, and I pointed out what I didn't like and how it should be instead...

And yes Beamer, I sometimes sound condescending, but I don't mean what I say as an insult. I genuinely think that most people don't question themselves about games and accept lesser things. I have strong researched opinions(that are sometimes wrong) and that makes me sound like an a-hole sometimes.

34. Re: Steam Top 10 May 23, 2016, 13:29 ItBurn

Beamer wrote on May 23, 2016, 13:20:
Maybe you should have kicked your difficulty level down. Maybe that would have given you the easier enemies-get-blasted-apart experience you wanted.

I played the game at hard, or whatever the difficulty just before nightmare is called, and it's pretty easy. I did die, a couple of times, but I generally completely dominate. This is the amount of difficulty/success/failure that I enjoy. The problem isn't with the difficulty, it's with how satisfying the combat is.

33. Re: Steam Top 10 May 23, 2016, 13:27 ItBurn

Beamer wrote on May 23, 2016, 13:17:
ItBurn wrote on May 23, 2016, 12:43:

It's just my opinion, but I feel that people who prefer the glory kill thing either haven't played better or don't have enough experience with games to imagine better. Maybe I just have different tastes...

And yet, weirdly, all you can do is keep going back to Brutal Doom, a modification on a game 23 years old.

So, this is your "better?" A 23 year old game heavily modded? You realize how condescending what you said is, particularly when you say it here, a board where nearly all posters are over 30 and have been gaming before Doom, with very large Steam libraries.

It isn't like you're naming a ton of games that you think are better, just a 23 year old one. Which you can still play all you want.

What I see is a board with a majority of people that think that the new Doom is the best thing ever. I try to get people to wake up. I call it how it is. I didn't mean to offend anyone.

Brutal Doom's gameplay it completely modern despite the graphics not being so. Also old Doom's level design is way ahead of today's design. Sure it doesn't look like reality, but it has a lot of substance. The new Doom's level design is actually really similar, so I never complained about that. This is one more proof that parts of today's games are actually worse than some 23 year old games. Total Biscuit agrees with me and actually made a whole video just about that.

You're doing yourself a disfavor if you trivialize what was accomplished with brutal doom. Do you really want me to list all the games with better combat? I got other things to do All I say is just my opinion, if you disagree, fine. I will name the game Blood though, because it's my favorite of all time. I think brutal doom's combat was heavily influenced by it. There's no shooter out there where the combat is as satisfying as in Blood.

30. Re: Steam Top 10 May 23, 2016, 12:53 ItBurn

Drayth wrote on May 23, 2016, 12:51:
You can turn off the flashing, that's the first thing I did.

You *can* one-shot enemies. In fact there's times where you have to switch away from the shotgun if you want to get health off an easy enemy. Maybe there's a little more health added to enemies for purposes of the glory kills? It hasn't really come to mind as an issue personally till thinking about it just now.

Yeah, I turned it off, it helps, but sometimes it's hard to know if you can do the glory kill or not and you take damage you shouldn't have taken.

Yes, a lot of times you can one shot enemies, but a lot of times it doesn't work. I dare say most of the time they don't die. Seems to me like they balanced their health in such a way that they go into stunned state most of the time.

28. Re: Steam Top 10 May 23, 2016, 12:43 ItBurn

Jerykk wrote on May 23, 2016, 12:30:
ItBurn wrote on May 23, 2016, 11:32:
I strongly disagree with people that think glory kills are a good thing. Just go play Brutal Doom. The combat is faster and flows much better. The glory kills turn enemies into bullet sponges and you constantly have to walk over to them to melee them. Sure, you can also spend like one or two extra shots of wasted ammo if you don't want to go run up to them, but for me that's unacceptable. I just want to shoot an enemy and have it die and be throw around the room... I can't have that anymore most of the time. Also, you can't turn them off. You can only turn off the animation, which is what I did. It does improve it a little, but only visually.

Also, the max amount of enemies at a time might not be 6, but it's definitely very small. It always feels like you're fighting a handful of demons and once you kill one, another one respawns. Maybe you guys don't have the eye for it? It's just like Borderlands, and it breaks the immersion for me. Original Doom can have at least 10 times the amount of enemies on screen and some levels do.

If your guns could one-shot every enemy, it would be too easy. The point of giving enemies a lot of health is to force you to keep moving and switch up your weapons. You should be maximizing your DPS by constantly switching weapons. Conserving ammo should not be a consideration, which is why glory kills give you ammo.

I never said I wanted to one shot everything. I disagree with your assumption that you shouldn't think about conserving ammo. Brutal Doom isn't easy and its combat is more similar to the classic Dooms. It forces you to switch weapons, keep moving and be careful with ammo. That's what I want from a Doom game, because it's more satisfying and fun. What they did in the new Doom isn't terrible, but it's just not as good as it could be. I'm using Brutal Doom as an example, but there are lots of other games with more satisfying combat that doesn't have glory kills.

Here's an example of something that happens all the time in the new doom. You see an imp, a low health cannon fodder enemy, and you shoot him with a direct hit. Instead of dying and being thrown across the room in a satisfying fashion, it just stays there, barely reacting to your shot and enters a "stunned" state, which is basically death. Eventually it'll come out of stunned state, but it takes a long time for most enemies. Now you have to either go up to that imp and melee him, or you have to shoot him again and waste ammo. In both instances you waste time and it's less satisfying. Also, the imp is flashing like an asshole and it looks like a Disney arcade game and that takes you out of the immersion and it annoys your brain into thinking more about that monster than you should. You can't just continue killing, you have to go take care of that annoying thing.

It's just my opinion, but I feel that people who prefer the glory kill thing either haven't played better or don't have enough experience with games to imagine better. Maybe I just have different tastes...

1647 Comments. 83 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo