Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 4547 (Master)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2019, 02:36 jacobvandy

Destiny is probably the biggest release on Steam this month. The only other notables I'm aware of are the new GRID, Trine 4, and Yooka-Laylee 2. Ghost Recon is Uplay/Epic, Call of Duty is B.net, Outer Worlds is Epic.

In November, Star Wars and Need For Speed are on Origin, then Shenmue 3 is Epic (lol), which leaves DOOM Eternal for Steam. As well as Planet Zoo and Age of Empires 2 Remastered For Real This Time Edition, if you wanna count those. December supposedly brings Mechwarrior 5, and then RDR 2.

Still, I don't think it hurts Valve that much, just with the sheer volume of other crap releasing all the time. Others may be keeping some big releases away, but that's pretty much all they have. For every copy of Borderlands, Steam sells a few dozen visual novels or fly-by-night survival games. And there are countless niche genres like that represented.

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 2019, 09:10.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Next Month

37. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Next Month Oct 4, 2019, 18:42 jacobvandy

HoSpanky wrote on Oct 4, 2019, 16:51:
I have very little interest in this game. Everything Iíve read says it respects your time less than WoW Classic.

There's a learning curve to it, since they made it to be as much of a simulation game as it is an action game. That's the root of most complaints. But the story presentation and production values are excellent, not just for an open world game or even a video game in general, but for the entire medium of visual arts. I think the slower, more deliberate pacing in a lot of the gameplay is meant to make you really soak it all in, and I enjoyed that a lot.

I guess if you're in a hurry you could get through the campaign in about 40-60 hours, but that would require completely avoiding the many quality side activities. Better than skipping what I'd consider to be the current crown jewel of this gaming generation entirely.

19. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Next Month Oct 4, 2019, 14:05 jacobvandy

MattyC wrote on Oct 4, 2019, 14:03:
I think everyone knew this was coming after they released their client, but still nice to see.

I wonder what Humble will be using before the Steam release, or am I reading that wrong? I think pretty much everything I have ever purchased on HB was ultimately a Steam key. Not complaining, I was 100% OK with that.

Humble sells Uplay keys, Epic keys, Origin keys, Bethesda.net keys, etc. as well. It's just up to the publisher and whatever they give them. Same for Green Man Gaming and the rest of the resellers.

8. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Next Month Oct 4, 2019, 12:15 jacobvandy

Nimh wrote on Oct 4, 2019, 12:12:
1 month exclusive?!? Timmy running out of money already?

He probably offered the biggest bribe to date, hoping for 6 months or a year. Then Rockstar laughed in his face and said no, that gets you 1 month, bro.

News Comments > ArenaNet Co-founder Departs

2. Re: ArenaNet Co-founder Departs Oct 3, 2019, 23:04 jacobvandy

Well, GW2 is 7 years old now... It probably passed the midway point of its lifespan a while ago, regardless of this guy stepping down. By which, I mean it won't be long until it's on skeleton crew life support similar to GW1. They deserve credit for keeping the servers for that one up all this time, for sure. And it doesn't even have all the microtransactions built-in like the sequel.  

News Comments > More on Gearbox vs. SAG-AFTRA

2. Re: More on Gearbox vs. SAG-AFTRA Oct 3, 2019, 20:27 jacobvandy

Blah blah blah. We know Randy is a douche, but we're now well into the phase where a union beats a dead horse for free publicity.  

News Comments > Castle Woodwarf Free on Steam

2. Re: Castle Woodwarf Free on Steam Oct 3, 2019, 20:18 jacobvandy

You insult Terraria with your comparison, sir. This is more like ad-supported mobile game shovelware, with less base-building and strategy than FarmVille.  

News Comments > Get Minit for Free

2. Re: Get Minit for Free Oct 3, 2019, 16:17 jacobvandy

Batman day ruined this week's budget.  

News Comments > Fear the Dark Unknown This Month

2. Re: Fear the Dark Unknown This Month Oct 2, 2019, 22:25 jacobvandy

Remember how people liked to complain about all the indie games being 8-bit side-scrollers? Well now indie studios have moved up to turn-of-the-century 3D games.  

News Comments > Ghost Recon Breakpoint Microtransactions Revealed and Launch Trailer Released

9. Re: Ghost Recon Breakpoint Microtransactions Revealed and Launch Trailer Released Oct 2, 2019, 02:18 jacobvandy

maddog wrote on Oct 2, 2019, 00:53:
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 1, 2019, 23:51:
Also fuck their roadmap where they are trying to sell the addition of AI teammates as a special value post-launch feature. LOL. Ghost Recon has always been a squad-based shooter. AI teammates should be the bare minimum at launch. Eeeeeee-fucking-ssential.
Instead they add insult to injury with hints in the game (open beta) that the game was optimized for a coop experience so please go online, join a gang of 12 year olds and STFU about AI teammates. Yeah, fuck you too, Ubishit.

wait...what? I admit I have not been following the press on this game much but are you saying the AI teammates are not there at launch? WTF. This was a day one purchase for me but after reading that, screw it. I'll keep playing Wildlands. Or wait for something else I guess.

Yeah, I played the beta and was pretty surprised that you are completely alone if you're not in a squad with other players. They even created a new special "grenade" that floats in the air above your target and waits for you to trigger its payload, which allows you to pull off the synchronized multi-kills which were a staple of the last game's tactics. Kinda makes sense with the lone-survivor-in-hostile-territory-turned-guerrilla tone of the story, I guess, but I don't know why they'd go back and add AI squad mates later. The roadmap I've seen doesn't mention that.

Avus wrote on Oct 2, 2019, 01:11:
PAY TO WIN.... no thanks
What are you winning if you buy these things, exactly?

News Comments > Destiny 2: Shadowkeep Released; Knocks Servers Offline

10. Re: Destiny 2: Shadowkeep Released; Knocks Servers Offline Oct 1, 2019, 22:09 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on Oct 1, 2019, 20:31:
Razumen wrote on Oct 1, 2019, 20:06:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 1, 2019, 19:25:
I bet Bungie is missing the deep pockets and expertise of ActiBlizz now.

Yeah, no. Destiny is insanely popular. I'm sure they can handle it.

They're obviously not handling it. One thing ActiBlizz had experience with was massive launches: CoD, WoW, Overwatch, etc.

Experience with watching the same thing happen with the launch of those games and many more, you mean? Yeah, they do have that... I'm convinced these companies deliberately choose not to meet day one demand, regardless of their ability to do so.

News Comments > Ghost Recon Breakpoint Microtransactions Revealed and Launch Trailer Released

2. Re: Ghost Recon Breakpoint Microtransactions Revealed and Launch Trailer Released Oct 1, 2019, 21:56 jacobvandy

Meh, if people are too lazy or short on time and want to pay to speed up their SP/co-op progression, it doesn't bother me none. Everything is normalized in PVP so that your stats don't matter there. And the pricing for cosmetics is the way it is because the whales will pay it, and nobody else really makes a difference in their revenues for that stuff.  

7. Re: Destiny 2: Shadowkeep Released; Knocks Servers Offline Oct 1, 2019, 20:10 jacobvandy

Flatline wrote on Oct 1, 2019, 19:46:
jacobvandy wrote on Oct 1, 2019, 19:17:
I love waiting in queues to play a game, especially when no details are given as to your position or estimated wait time!

Servers are under emergency maintenance. Check bungie help Twitter for updates. Been a rocky launch.

Maybe some are down, but plenty of people are actually playing. I finally did get in and spent about 20 minutes looking through my crap in storage and picking up various quests and free items in the hub town. Don't have a lot of time to get back into it right now, but I wouldn't want to even if I did. Simple stuff like talking to NPCs and equipping different items often had enough delay that it brings up that "contacting servers, please wait..." kind of message at the bottom of the screen. Can't imagine how laggy the actual gameplay would be right now, lol.

2. Re: Destiny 2: Shadowkeep Released; Knocks Servers Offline Oct 1, 2019, 19:17 jacobvandy

I love waiting in queues to play a game, especially when no details are given as to your position or estimated wait time!  

News Comments > Morning Patches

3. Re: Morning Patches Oct 1, 2019, 02:53 jacobvandy

Yeah... Yet another sprite mod for DOOM, when I was briefly hoping for gory FPS combat in Minecraft.  

News Comments > Evening Previews

2. Re: Evening Previews Sep 30, 2019, 20:41 jacobvandy

Literally the next sentence is this:

That said, youíll also be able to pre-download parts of the world to play on when offline.

So it's probably worth waiting to see how that works before writing it off. I wouldn't blame them for streaming assets if it would take some crazy amount of space to store all of it locally. There's no sense in having the whole world map on-hand when most people will probably just stick to flying over their home country or a select few popular places abroad.

News Comments > Tencent Acquires Funcom Stake

6. Re: Tencent Acquires Funcom Stake Sep 30, 2019, 14:58 jacobvandy

They recently acquired the rights to make multiple Dune games. That's why they're getting a lot of attention lately and why this new development will be under some more scrutiny.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10

4. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2019, 14:27 jacobvandy

Bungie is swearing up and down that they're gonna be able to make Destiny way better now that the shackles are off, but I'll believe it when I see it. Though we do get to play everything that was released previously for free when it re-launches this week. So that'll be a couple of expansions pushing back the onset of soft level cap grinding, where it changes from decent fun to groooaaaan.  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Game Modes Leak?

7. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Game Modes Leak? Sep 29, 2019, 14:20 jacobvandy

Heltorne wrote on Sep 29, 2019, 14:12:
I've never played Call of Duty since all the maps are so tiny from all the game play I've seen over the years. I wonder if this one will have bigger maps?

CoD game play itself looks fun and responsive but I've never been into the frantic 50 players on a small closet play style.

The first couple games had big maps that everyone used [sniper] rifles on. It wasn't until it took off on consoles that they decided to focus on the running and gunning.

News Comments > Epic Games Store September Update Plans

4. Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans Sep 28, 2019, 15:56 jacobvandy

The reason I finally uninstalled Fortnite even though I'd occasionally fire up the PVE mode is that it takes so fucking long to update. They push hotfixes and other small updates to the BR mode so often that it seemed every time I went to go fire it up, it made me wait for half an hour or more. Even though the downloads were pretty small (less than 100MB), it'd be scanning through and processing probably the entire game installation.

I don't know if it's the same way with any of the other games, but it's definitely an issue the majority of their users have been dealing with for a long time.

4547 Comments. 228 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >