Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 3952 (Veteran)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > 2018 GDC and IGF Awards
6. Re: 2018 GDC and IGF Awards Mar 22, 2018, 17:47 jacobvandy

MrDoomPlague wrote on Mar 22, 2018, 17:14:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 22, 2018, 15:43:
There's no way The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is Game of the Year over Horizon Zero Dawn. EVERYTHING in HZD is nearly perfect.

And yet nearly every outlet and award body gave it to Zelda.

That is not to say your view is wrong, but people have different tastes. Personally, as much as Horizon did right, I found so much of it to be completely joyless and oddly derivative of other games (especially Ubisoft games).

I've not played Horizon, but that's the gist of most the comparisons I see from people who have. HZD is yet another open world action game, which is fine if that's what you like, I mean I probably would enjoy it if I had a PS4. But the new Zelda bucks a lot of those trends and significantly refreshes the genre. It doesn't litter your map with icons to mindlessly chase down, you're encouraged to freely explore while visually spotting points of interest off in the distance (whether that's a little chunk of "content" or just a cool spot to climb and see the view). It's so open and free-form, in fact, that a lot of people seem to dislike the feeling of not knowing what they should be doing.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
18. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 22, 2018, 00:03 jacobvandy

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 21:32:
jacobvandy wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 20:32:
That only happens because right now most people treat it as a commodity, not a currency. If, somehow, the whole world decided to use it and only it for money, I imagine the value would be a lot more stable. Everyone jokes about that guy who "spent" hundreds of thousands of dollars on a pizza back in the day, but at least he was using bitcoin the way it was meant to be used... The general populace can't even grasp the concept of crypto, so that's all it is to them, a joke.
You are right at some level, but I think you are overly optimistic. I mean if only somehow the whole world would ...... fill in the blank -- basically not likely. I believe something like Bitcoin will come to pass eventually -- a crypto currency which is safe, stable, and used widely. But it is going to take a lot longer than the enthusiasts think...

Well yeah, that's my point. It's pretty obvious that there's no way it'll happen any time soon. We're far from ready for a universal, digital currency, so all crypto is good for is this volatile speculation (i.e. financial giants fleecing all the Johnny-come-latelys trying to make a quick buck).

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
8. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 21, 2018, 20:32 jacobvandy

Pigeon wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 18:54:
I was just thinking how awesome it would be to have all my money replaced with a currency that can gain or lose half it's value in less than a month's time.

That only happens because right now most people treat it as a commodity, not a currency. If, somehow, the whole world decided to use it and only it for money, I imagine the value would be a lot more stable. Everyone jokes about that guy who "spent" hundreds of thousands of dollars on a pizza back in the day, but at least he was using bitcoin the way it was meant to be used... The general populace can't even grasp the concept of crypto, so that's all it is to them, a joke.

News Comments > On Far Cry 5 Microtransactions
17. Re: On Far Cry 5 Microtransactions Mar 16, 2018, 21:09 jacobvandy

There are several differences between this and SWBF2, though... For one, that is a PVP-centric game. People buying XP boosters or in-game currency in Far Cry or Assassin's Creed doesn't affect other players at all (the "win" of P2W isn't there). If FC5 ends up featuring a competitive multiplayer mode where rewards are based in randomized loot boxes that they sell for real money, then yeah, they will catch more shit for it. As they should.  

News Comments > On Far Cry 5 Microtransactions
14. Re: On Far Cry 5 Microtransactions Mar 16, 2018, 17:41 jacobvandy

Lord Tea wrote on Mar 16, 2018, 12:37:
if you want to speed up your progress by spending money, you'll have that option

...formerly known as "PAY TO WIN".

Speeding up progress isn't pay to win. Offensive to people who prefer to earn it, maybe, or a potential cause for concern over the standard rate of progression, definitely... But unless there's an advantage to that which can never be earned for free, it's not P2W.

News Comments > Tropico 6 Trailer
2. Re: Tropico 6 Trailer Mar 16, 2018, 11:49 jacobvandy

Yeah, Tropico has been on autopilot since 3. No wonder Haemimont went off to make something else.  

News Comments > Shadow of the Tomb Raider September Release Confirmed
7. Re: Shadow of the Tomb Raider September Release Confirmed Mar 15, 2018, 16:08 jacobvandy

aka_STEVE wrote on Mar 15, 2018, 15:42:
The last two have been pretty good games,...... but still......

How can it be shadow of TR when the TombRaider has already Risen .?? ..

Just saying....

She done rose too high!

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 15, 2018, 15:40 jacobvandy

PUBG was mobile first, has been for a while overseas, though from what I gathered it was a separate, simplified version. So then Epic says "yeah well we can put the real thing on mobile with crossplay!" None of that interests me, but it is kind of impressive if they are able to pull that off.  

News Comments > For Honor PC Starter Edition Released
6. Re: For Honor PC Starter Edition Released Mar 15, 2018, 00:21 jacobvandy

More like WTF is that blue text on dark blue background, jesus my eyes..  

News Comments > Shadow of the Tomb Raider in September?
6. Re: Shadow of the Tomb Raider in September? Mar 14, 2018, 17:23 jacobvandy

Well, I did enjoy the last game, but between that and Deus Ex, they seem to be trending more and more toward online gameplay they can sell loot boxes for...  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 14, 2018, 12:21 jacobvandy

Nothing, if they're doing everything from scratch. These guys intended to use the official FO3 voiceovers but didn't realize until way too late that that was not allowed.  

News Comments > Fortnite Accounts Hijacked
4. Re: Fortnite Accounts Hijacked Mar 13, 2018, 00:16 jacobvandy

Hmm, maybe the automatic lock is even newer than that, then? AFAIK the 2FA was only added this year when stuff like this started happening enough for them to notice, but lately it's been really bad. Seems every other post on Reddit is someone trying to get Epic's attention about it. The worst part is, buying stuff on someone else's account doesn't really benefit the hijacker in any way I can think of, like you can't transfer any of the things that microtransactions unlock, so all they're doing is trolling...  

News Comments > Fortnite Accounts Hijacked
2. Re: Fortnite Accounts Hijacked Mar 12, 2018, 19:36 jacobvandy

It's really inevitable with any high-profile game that the playerbase becomes a target for shit like this... However, I'm pretty sure these victims just have really bad account security habits. They use the same password everywhere and so when one of them is compromised, the rest of their accounts are at risk.

I know for a fact that Epic has an automatic account lock feature for repeated failed login attempts (it happened to me over the weekend while I was busy playing another game), so if you get hijacked, that means they knew your password somehow. Then there's the 2FA, which apparently a lot of people don't bother enabling.

So if you leave the door wide open like that, AND keep a payment method saved to your account... You might end up with hundreds or thousands of dollars in unwanted microtransactions on your tab, which is a pain in the ass to get rectified because extreme, rapid growth means Epic is literally months behind on answering support tickets.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
4. Re: This Is What Happens When Bitcoin Miners Take Over Your Town Mar 11, 2018, 23:51 jacobvandy

Simon Says wrote on Mar 11, 2018, 18:00:
"By the end of 2018, according to some estimates, miners here could account for anywhere from 15 to 30 percent of all bitcoin mining in the world, and impressive shares of other cryptocurrencies, such as Ethereum and Litecoin."

So much for decentralization...

"All bitcoin mining," doesn't mean they hold that share of all bitcoin.

News Comments > Tomb Raider Remasters Announced
11. Re: Tomb Raider Remasters Announced Mar 11, 2018, 20:06 jacobvandy

headkase wrote on Mar 11, 2018, 16:45:
Oh wow. I know they were awesome in their time but a modern look at the gameplay in both the given videos is just crap-tastic.

Yep... If you want classic Tomb Raider, you can play the reboot trilogy from 10 years ago, one of which is a direct remake of the 1996 original. Going back any further is just torture for the sake of nostalgia.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 10, 2018, 00:56 jacobvandy

That Smash Bros. reveal at the end of the Direct yesterday was pretty epic. Seeing something like that live with hundreds of thousands of other people, sensing everyone's disappointment at yet another Splatoon segment, then realizing we'd all been trolled when the SSB logo appears out of nowhere... Reading about the announcement or watching that video clip after the fact just doesn't compare. It's gonna be another great year for the Switch!  

News Comments > Sea of Thieves Final Beta
8. Re: Sea of Thieves Final Beta Mar 9, 2018, 16:30 jacobvandy

Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 15:06:
Seriously, that's my only reason. Some people get all emotional about Rare, but I honestly can't remember the last time they put out a game I gave a crap about. Goldenye 007? I mean, early 90s?

N64-era was their golden age, for sure, but the main reason not to give a shit is that they're "Rare" in name only anymore, since core devs split off to form their own studio(s) shortly after Microsoft bought them out. Then a few years after that, even the company founders jumped ship... So they really have not been relevant for more than a decade, and the only credence they get is the nostalgia from ignorant folk who are unaware these aren't the same people who did things like Goldeneye and Donkey Kong Country.

News Comments > The Division 2 Revealed
11. Re: The Division 2 Revealed Mar 8, 2018, 13:52 jacobvandy

More stuff to do is always welcome, but I actually liked the desolate atmosphere of the world. So I don't agree that packing the explorable area full of enemies or whatever like a generic MMO is the way to go.  

News Comments > James Harden Outs Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII?
7. Re: James Harden Outs Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII? Mar 7, 2018, 13:03 jacobvandy

If it is true, that's not "being outed," that's intentional viral marketing. Someone gave him that hat and most likely paid him to wear it. Obviously you don't do that if you're trying to keep the product branded on the hat a secret.  

News Comments > Rocket League DC Super Heroes DLC Pack Released
1. Re: Rocket League DC Super Heroes DLC Pack Released Mar 6, 2018, 12:20 jacobvandy

So there are 3 Batmobiles now. Neat?  

3952 Comments. 198 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo