Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 3838 (Veteran)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2017, 02:21 jacobvandy

DrSquick wrote on Nov 25, 2017, 21:41:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 25, 2017, 21:36:
jacobvandy wrote on Nov 25, 2017, 15:58:
Giant space ants, maybe.

According to ZDNet Korea, the top of the line TV will be 150 inches.
Noice

Niiiice! For a mere four kidneys and a hotdog you can have a 150 inch TV. I had a 130" 1080P projector setup at my old basement, and it was amazing... But having a 7' ceiling sucked because if anyone got up they would block the picture. And you had a very expensive bulb and notable cool-down period. I'm sure it will never happen, but if there was a 150" TV that would be fantastic.

Well that's what the article is, they're saying it's coming very soon. The 'Micro' refers to them shrinking down the same LEDs they currently use in cinema-size screens. Once they can get them even smaller than 4K at 150 inches (100 microns), supposedly LED is going to replace all these LCDs, OLEDs, QLEDs or whatever else you see being used now in screens of all sizes.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Nov 25, 2017, 15:58 jacobvandy

Giant space ants, maybe.

According to ZDNet Korea, the top of the line TV will be 150 inches.

News Comments > Black Friday Legal Briefs
2. Re: Black Friday Legal Briefs Nov 24, 2017, 15:41 jacobvandy

Of course it's bad if you have fraud going on, but how do they determine what comments are "real" or not? Because loads of pro net neutrality people use sites like EFF or Demand Progress to automatically send messages for these kinds of things, and I would think that probably looks similar to corporate lobbies sending in a bunch of fake comments against it. Especially when most don't bother to customize the pre-written template they're given, if they even read the thing... Are they looking for legit, unique names and addresses attached to them as well?  

News Comments > Report: Gazillion Firing Staff; Ending Marvel Heroes Even Earlier
6. Re: Report: Gazillion Firing Staff; Ending Marvel Heroes Even Earlier Nov 23, 2017, 12:53 jacobvandy

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 23, 2017, 12:33:
kraken wrote on Nov 23, 2017, 12:29:
This is a very sad situation for those people.

Who bought micro transactions for a p2w game? I think not, they deserve the salt. But the the developers, they for sure did NOT deserve this.

I do hope nobody gets refunds though

Obviously you never played the game. Their business model was like 90% costumes and instant unlocks of playable heroes (ARPG classes), all of which could be earned for free in a reasonable amount of play time, and they ran so many events with global buffs that most people never felt the need to buy things like XP boosters. Multiple devs on different occasions basically stated that their business model was too generous based on how small the playerbase was, and that it needed to change for them to survive. Those changes took too long as they got distracted with other things, so they folded. Loads of people are getting refunds, though, especially on console.

News Comments > Report: Gazillion Firing Staff; Ending Marvel Heroes Even Earlier
1. Re: Report: Gazillion Firing Staff; Ending Marvel Heroes Even Earlier Nov 23, 2017, 12:26 jacobvandy

That sucks. It's one thing to be told the party's over, it's last call, get your shit together soon... But then you're sacked 5 weeks early with no severance or anything? Time to lawyer up, if there's anyone left to sue.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Nov 22, 2017, 20:06 jacobvandy

I wouldn't bother, either, but damn those cards are sexy.  

News Comments > Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Demo
1. Re: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Demo Nov 22, 2017, 20:04 jacobvandy

Just FYI, Steam awards are not only for new games. Anything in the entire store can be nominated.  

News Comments > Loot Boxes Under Fire
56. Re: Loot Boxes Under Fire Nov 22, 2017, 19:48 jacobvandy

Damn, I just watched the video and one of the congressmen straight-up says Star Wars is like Joe Camel in this situation, enticing children to gamble like the long-since banned cigarette mascot enticed them to smoke. You know Disney does NOT want any part of that!

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 22, 2017, 19:10:
I was just in a old game, went into their store, then I thought Holy Shit! if this became illegal how does this work? Previously released games ok? Or gulp would they have to go in an make major code changes to a lot of games? Being a gambling thing, grandfathering may not be a thing.

My guess is they'd have to be reclassified by the ESRB and would then receive the dreaded Adults Only rating purely for the inclusion of what would now be considered gambling or gambling-like features.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of War Expansion & Patch
5. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Expansion & Patch Nov 22, 2017, 19:31 jacobvandy

Creston wrote on Nov 22, 2017, 09:36:
GMG will have this on sale for basically 50% off for their Black Friday sale.

Yup, just picked it up myself, 30 bucks and change. 70GB download though, goddamn!

News Comments > Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Selling Well
2. Re: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Selling Well Nov 22, 2017, 11:54 jacobvandy

What? It launched at $30, the quoted blurb above mentions it being that price the first week.

Anyhow, the game doesn't really interest me, but it's always cool to see indies find success.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Nov 21, 2017, 22:32 jacobvandy

The core gameplay of Destiny is fantastic on PC, they don't have the biggest variety of weapons but the act of shooting is as good as or better than any other FPS you can think of. Randy only wishes Borderlands felt that good. The story isn't very interesting, but the environments are cool and there's always some stuff to kill, even if you're just wandering around. I'd say it's definitely worth half-price just for solo play, assuming you enjoy that hybrid genre of FPS/RPG.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 21, 2017, 19:32 jacobvandy

And here we see a publisher just brazenly pounding their chest with some immense post-launch support for their flagship multiplayer shooter... Nintendo whipping out a surprise FREE update including 5 new maps and enough cosmetic gear (head/body/foot-wear) to nearly double what came in the base game, two days before it's here. Then there's a whole new game mode next month? Sheeit. After 4 months of trickling out new maps and weapon types every couple weeks (for free), they're basically one-upping themselves and doubling down for the holidays just because they feel like it.

I wonder if Bobby K. gets a headache from hearing about so much potential "recurring player investment" revenue being thrown away like that.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 20, 2017, 17:09 jacobvandy

Seriously. I used to play Caesar's Palace for Genesis when I was a kid and they had everything in there, slots, poker, blackjack, craps, roulette, keno, horses... You NEVER see games like that anymore, certainly not on consoles. The first couple generations of Pokemon had a 'game corner' with slot machines, but then that was replaced by a more skill-based puzzle game before they got rid of it entirely. And that's just pretend gambling! It boggles my mind how that's been legislated to hell and yet paying real money for random loot isn't.

Publishing odds may help people realize how fucked they are (though then there's the issue of them being truthful), but I think the real issue has more to do with the whole in-game currency thing. With how pervasive it is, there's got to be some loophole somewhere that means exchanging cash for platinum or crystals or moon rocks or whatever translates to you agreeing that you're literally flushing money down the toilet and so anything beyond that has no legal consequence. It's total bullshit.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 20, 2017, 11:17 jacobvandy

If RIP is good enough for Ezio's marks, it's good enough for Manson.  

News Comments > Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours
4. Re: Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours Nov 20, 2017, 10:52 jacobvandy

They haven't made any further changes since last week, have they? My impression is you can do this by blowing all of your one-time starter rewards (the free hit of crack), but not through the actual grind of 200g per round or whatever it is you get playing normally. And as they say, you're ignoring all the upgrades that make you stronger in the majority of play as a non-hero by saving up to do this. Basically, this isn't some revelatory "au contraire!" rebuttal to the outrage over this game.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 19, 2017, 16:33 jacobvandy

Osc8r wrote on Nov 19, 2017, 16:29:
How long till we get a Battle Royale game in the frostbite engine?

As soon as they figure out how to support stream viewers paying money to give aid to players they like.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2017, 14:02 jacobvandy

Lmao, thanks for the tl;dr, Blue!  

News Comments > Golden Joystick Winners
1. Re: Golden Joystick Winners Nov 19, 2017, 13:55 jacobvandy

Wow, Cuphead best Xbox game, lol. Nothing against the game, I hear it's great and I want to play it eventually, but the rest of the year for that console was really that barren? I mean, you got two huge, incredible single-player games winning for the other consoles and a multiplayer phenomenon on PC, all exclusives... then Xbox's GOTY is an indie 2D action/platformer, which by the way wasn't deemed good enough for overall best indie game.  

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Launches
49. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Launches Nov 17, 2017, 17:29 jacobvandy

Yes, yes, we're all quite triggered. Back to the game, reviews seem to be agreeing with some of the folks here, saying the gameplay itself is rather meh! Pretty graphics, appreciable novelty for Star Wars fans, but not a particularly good game. Metacritic score currently in the mid-70s. Basically, wouldn't be much to write home about even if it didn't involve any loot crate nonsense. RIP.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 17, 2017, 14:10 jacobvandy

It's gonna be like Hunger Games, where all the plebs have nothing to do but live off the land or entertain the ultra rich.  

3838 Comments. 192 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo