Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Fort Collins, CO 03/24

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 3560 (Veteran)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Postmortem
6. Re: Diablo III Postmortem Jan 23, 2017, 22:56 jacobvandy

Pfft, you haven't lived unless you beat pre-nerf Inferno.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jan 22, 2017, 18:38 jacobvandy

It probably won't help you shoot better IRL if you're lacking the coordination and dexterity for the skill to begin with, but video games do teach you what ironsights are and how to use them. That's a big advantage over someone who thinks it's like the movies where you just point the tip of the barrel in the general direction of what you want to hit.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
34. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 20, 2017, 13:37 jacobvandy

El Pit wrote on Jan 20, 2017, 12:17:
What happened in Somalia, Iraq, Afghanistan? YOU LOST! The whole world lost!

I agree, but the fact is we didn't go there to "win." We went there to be there, and that's all. People still don't seem to get that, and it's a shame... War is profitable for evil people, especially a half-assed one that drags on for years. And the best way to make that happen is to not even have a real enemy. America is unstoppable, alright, so unstoppable it gets bored with not having anyone to fight and has been coming up with bullshit excuses to stomp around on the playground since WW2 ended.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 20, 2017, 03:19 jacobvandy

What I'm left wondering is, why does HBO care about ratings (simultaneous viewership) when they're a premium subscription service? They get paid whether people watch or not. They've already embraced watching on your own schedule by creating HBO Go, so why still insist on releasing new content one episode at a time? Is it to try and lessen the still way too damn long breaks between seasons?  

News Comments > Diablo III Season 9 Underway
11. Re: Diablo III Season 9 Underway Jan 19, 2017, 17:43 jacobvandy

Yeah... It was the expansion that added the rifts and Adventure Mode, which allows you to freely roam all over the world map however you like doing side missions instead of following the storyline.  

4. Re: Diablo III Season 9 Underway Jan 19, 2017, 12:52 jacobvandy

VaranDragon wrote on Jan 19, 2017, 11:46:
This shit with the seasons has got to be some of the most convulted shit that was ever produced at Blizzard. It's like they sought to distance themselves as far as possible from anything even remotely related to Diablo2 or the previous Battle.net experience. *sigh*

They used to be called ladders...

1. Re: Diablo III Season 9 Underway Jan 19, 2017, 10:37 jacobvandy

This happened two weeks ago!  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
13. Re: Evening Interviews Jan 18, 2017, 00:56 jacobvandy

EA customer support will get back to you within a day or so, yes, but most of their agents are borderline illiterate and completely ignorant of anything to do with the games they're answering questions about. The few times I've had to deal with those morons, I think I'd almost prefer to have never gotten a response at all...  

News Comments > NVIDIA on GFE Mandatory Logins
19. Re: NVIDIA on GFE Mandatory Logins Jan 17, 2017, 23:27 jacobvandy

necrosis wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 22:12:
Okely Dokely Ned Flanders. I guess you just bend over and take it when ever something changes in the world.

Some of us like features of things and when, for no reason, are forced to jump through hoops out of the blue to use those features it makes us mad.

Not at all, Mr. False Dilemma. Although it is a little disturbing that your brain equates creating a free account to login and use your free software with involuntary buttsex. Mountains out of molehills much?

Acleacius wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 23:16:
Don't think login is required if you don't install experience, i.e. drivers only, correct?

Correct.

News Comments > NVIDIA on GFE Mandatory Logins
13. Re: NVIDIA on GFE Mandatory Logins Jan 17, 2017, 22:07 jacobvandy

Well, that's what their 'GeForce Experience' is, and they are completely justified in controlling it however they want. If you don't like jumping through hoops to use their free software, then find an alternative or go without. I still have never installed the thing, so I couldn't care less, but this is clearly a service platform they're building and establishing secure user accounts is no doubt central to that goal. If you really like what GFE offers, why be so lazy and/or hostile about supporting them and what they're trying to do with it?  

News Comments > The Repopulation Sold; To be Repopulated
10. Re: The Repopulation Sold; To be Repopulated Jan 16, 2017, 15:25 jacobvandy

Crucifix wrote on Jan 16, 2017, 13:13:
And Project Genom is not any better. Their are hardly ANY people playing anymore (i think about 40 in total), there has not been a single update in MONTHS, there has been a dispute with the main programmer causing Steam the temp. remove in from the store over copyright issues.

Talk about another fail...

Attitudes like that are the other side of the double-edged sword that is Early Access... The game is in early alpha testing, yet people bring expectations the same as they would for any AAA title on full release. I can't speak to anything that happened previously, but it only launched on Steam this past October and there have been multiple news updates outlining what they're working on, which is slated to come in a major update sometime Q1 '17.

A 10-man team doesn't work miracles overnight, I don't think waiting a few months for significant updates is too much to tolerate for that stage of such a project. Don't buy into a game this early if you're looking for something to play 40 hours a week with monthly content updates to keep you interested. Player count peaked when it landed on Steam, and it has steadily tapered off. It will peak again when the update comes, and that seems perfectly normal to me. There's only so much to do for the tourists who aren't actually interested in providing feedback.

As for the copyright issues, there are two sides to the story and it's hard to say which one is more accurate. The guy who complained to Valve is a programmer who created an MMO starter kit for UE4, which he integrated to be used in the game in collaboration with the studio. He claims he was being screwed out of money he was supposed to be paid once they hit Early Access (apparently they didn't have a formal contract), so soon after that was when the DMCA takedown happened.

NeuronHaze has since replaced him, as well as all of the game code he contributed, and claim he wasn't paid because he stopped working a while before they launched on Steam, and when they offered to buy him out in order to keep using his code, he never responded. They also say they're suing him for extortion and damages caused by the takedown (it definitely delayed the work they're doing now and hurt the game's reputation).

I picked it up for $12 from the Humble store sale going on now. I don't care about any drama, all I know is they have some interesting ideas and as of the past few weeks they seem to be on track to start making them happen. I hope they can pull it off, but of course that remains to be seen. If at the very least I can get a decent amount of fun out of it while it's in Early Access, that's still $12 well spent.

News Comments > The Repopulation Sold; To be Repopulated
2. Re: The Repopulation Sold; To be Repopulated Jan 16, 2017, 12:36 jacobvandy

Well shit... I backed this a few years ago but hadn't really been paying much attention. Apparently it went offline for a long time and they created a spin-off survival game to make some money so they could port the MMO from HeroEngine to Unreal. I guess that didn't work out like they hoped, so now they're cutting their losses and moving on.

Never even played the damn thing when it was available, lol, but I guess we'll see if the new owners do anything positive with it. As some have pointed out, it's in their interest to give it an honest shot, as Idea Fabrik are indeed the creators of HeroEngine, and SW:TOR is the only game to use it with any success.

On the subject of WIP indie MMOs, though, I've tried out Project Genom in the past couple of days, and it looks promising. It's also a sci-fi sandbox, but being on UE4 from the start, they were able to go with actual shooting mechanics that forego traditional MMO targeting. At least on the player side; humanoid NPCs seem to rely on hitscan BS currently, but hopefully that changes, lol. Anyway, it looks like it could be the Firefall replacement I've been looking for since that one went on life support.

News Comments > Has-Been Heroes Announced
4. Re: Has-Been Heroes Announced Jan 15, 2017, 03:10 jacobvandy

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 13, 2017, 19:38:
Hrm, interesting art style, considering their previous ultra-gorgeous Trine games.

Hopefully this sells a ton, so they get out of the financial hole that Trine 3 probably left them in; although I'm not sure this will be my cup of tea.

Yeah, it's gotta be because of their money troubles that they've resorted to 2D graphics in partnership with GameStop... Poor guys.

I'll probably give it a shot for $20, though. I'm gonna need something to play on the Switch after I get through Zelda.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
51. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 14, 2017, 02:09 jacobvandy

Just saw this posted on Reddit, a ranking of the cheapest console releases of all time when adjusted for inflation: http://i.imgur.com/DFAEXzU.png  

50. Re: Into the Black Jan 14, 2017, 01:37 jacobvandy

Fion wrote on Jan 13, 2017, 23:33:
1) $300 base price that doesn't include all the core tools and not a single game seems a bit steep. Want another set of controllers? $90! A dock to charge them on? $90! A 'console' style charger that you plug the two controllers into that is basically just cheap plastic handles? $30! So if you want to be able to hook this up to a TV, using an x-box style controller (with half the functionality) to play with 2 people that's a $220 investment on top of the $300 core price. Absurd!

"Small" correction here... The $90 dock is the base station + AC adapter + HDMI cable bundle, which represents a big chunk of what is included in the box for $300. You do not need to buy another unless you break/lose yours or you want to set up multiple places to drop the tablet in and play on TVs.

The rest of what you list are pretty standard accessories that are sold separately for lots of consoles. I.e. for Xbox, it comes with one controller, another one is $50-60, and don't forget $25 rechargeable battery packs for both because otherwise you're burning through a pair of AA batteries every few days! The charging grip for the Joy-cons is nice, sure, but they last 20 hours on a charge so you can get by without it. The non-charging grip like the one in the box is $15.

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 13, 2017, 14:27 jacobvandy

Well I skipped the Wii and Wii-U, so this is where I double-dutch back in. I'm also quite happy they're re-releasing Mario Kart 8 for that reason, and I hope they do the same with other high-profile titles of the past several years.

My little brother finally got a Wii-U this past Christmas, and while they do some interesting things with the second-screen aspect, I got to see just how clunky that gamepad is. It's terrible for controlling games on the TV AND there were several things we couldn't do because the many Wiimotes amassed in that household over the years were never upgraded with Motion Plus.

I believe that Mario Kart bundle was also $300 or near to it, so while it did come with the game, it would have also needed Wiimotes and nunchuks if we didn't already have them. The Switch is far more functionally complete out of the box, and if you need more than two-player support you can get a pair of motion-sensing controllers for the same price it used to be for one (Wiimote + nunchuk combos were still $60 when the Motion Plus add-on launched for $20).

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 13, 2017, 12:49 jacobvandy

Did anyone really expect them to put a 500GB-1TB hard drive in this thing? It's designed to be portable, and unlike disc-based consoles that want to dump the bulk of every game onto internal storage to cut load times, these games are on carts. If you want to go digital for most of your purchases, that's on you, but you have that option. Pay your $40 convenience tax and stick a 128GB micro SD in there.

As for the price of controllers, I for one am not surprised one bit! Have you guys even seen those things and what they can do? It's the accelerometer and gryoscopic functions of a Wii Motion Plus, an IR sensor that detects the shape and distance of objects, an NFC reader/writer for your Amiibos or whatever else, AND the "HD rumble" that is supposedly the most sophisticated ever. All packed into each of those tiny, wireless, rechargeable, self-contained controllers. Better use that wrist strap, lol.

I agree though that the launch is pretty light on games. I sat through that presentation as almost everything said "spring" or "summer" or "holidays" (dammit though, that new Mario looks awesome). I've been looking forward to this console, yet even I was ready to wait a few months. But then those cheeky bastards snuck in what I was wanting to see all night at the very last minute... I felt like Rick Flair when that Zelda trailer ended: "WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

News Comments > DiRT Showdown for Free
3. Re: DiRT Showdown for Free Jan 12, 2017, 22:37 jacobvandy

Absolutely. I mean, it's hard to argue with free, but I remember grabbing this on sale for literally $2 years ago. Still haven't played it though, because they were pretty quick to move on to the next game that - *gasp* - actually focused on rally racing.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2017, 11:08 jacobvandy

Yeah, it's been raining here in CA almost non-stop for at least a week now. Good stuff.  

News Comments > Steep Adrenaline Pack DLC Released
1. Re: Steep Adrenaline Pack DLC Released Jan 11, 2017, 12:52 jacobvandy

If you want adrenaline, should've made this a VR title.  

3560 Comments. 178 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo