Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 4635 (Master)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

News Comments > Chasm Opens Up

10. Re: Chasm Opens Up Jul 31, 2018, 18:38 jacobvandy

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 31, 2018, 15:20:
I get annoyed at most deliberately retro graphics based games, but this looks halfway decent, but refresh my memory, was this one of the Kickstarted games that took like 6 years to make? I've lost track of them all.

Yeah, I backed it in 2013. You can tell it's been in the works a while because they promised a Vita port, lol, which they're giving away for free to any backers who want it. I'd much rather have it on Switch, and I gotta think they're working on that now, but I doubt I'll buy it twice. Played a couple hours last night and it's good, though, very pretty with tough but fair platforming and combat.

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 2018, 19:57.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Monster Hunter World PC Performance Explained

27. Re: Monster Hunter World PC Performance Explained Jul 30, 2018, 23:54 jacobvandy

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 30, 2018, 22:27:
jacobvandy wrote on Jul 30, 2018, 20:14:
The CPU is never completely dedicated to whatever game you're playing, that's just not how it works. You have dozens of other processes running in the background even on a barebones configuration, even on consoles. If you put 100% CPU into a handful of game processes, forsaking all the others.. That's how you get a BSOD. It's never supposed to happen,

Ah what are you talking about? You can max the CPU without zero crashes, the stuff it needs to run still runs. How can I test this crazy idea out like right now? Stress Test Benches. I can peg my cpu 100% for as long as I want, I do this periodically to make sure my cooling system is working within reason. Maxing a cpu is game and o/s resources combined.

You misunderstand. I didn't say CPUs can't run at 100%, I said games never use 100% on their own. For your stress test to maybe kinda simulate that, try setting its process to realtime priority and everything else to low priority. I don't think Windows would like it very much.

23. Re: Monster Hunter World PC Performance Explained Jul 30, 2018, 20:14 jacobvandy

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 30, 2018, 19:29:
It's not a bad theory, but from what I've heard in this game it is maxing out the GPU's and the CPU's are are at a 1/3's usage, not cpu bound, the opposite of what you write in this case.

The CPU is never completely dedicated to whatever game you're playing, that's just not how it works. You have dozens of other processes running in the background even on a barebones configuration, even on consoles. If you put 100% CPU into a handful of game processes, forsaking all the others.. That's how you get a BSOD. It's never supposed to happen, unlike with the GPU where all it does is accelerate graphics and will sit around doing next to nothing otherwise. You might get a portion of CPU cores/threads running full tilt, but that will still only look like partial utilization from the overall "CPU usage" meter.

Civilization doesn't 100% a CPU, either, yet you will see large gains in how long it takes to crunch the AI turns with a faster CPU compared to a slower one. In Grand Theft Auto IV or V, you see a direct FPS increase because of all the underlying physics, AI, and resource streaming. Same with Bethesda games, and the way they load and unload cells full of objects and actors within a radius of the player. Especially since the only way to truly increase the draw distance in Skyrim or FO4 is to increase that radius, which means exponentially larger portions of the game world being actively simulated. People do it because they want to see more detail off in the distance, but don't realize that their performance is tanking because of their CPU/RAM, not their GPU (or "poor optimization," as is blamed when they have a 1080). All of these games will max out your GPU, but not the CPU... Yet they still perform better with a better CPU.

Edit to add: I noticed the article linked here says "[He] used an Intel i7-4790K with 16GB of RAM so obviously he was not CPU limited." That's exactly what I'm talking about -- even the journalists who write about this sort of thing regularly are still stuck in that mindset that games do not ever and could never conceivably use a lot of CPU power.

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 2018, 21:06.

18. Re: Monster Hunter World PC Performance Explained Jul 30, 2018, 18:38 jacobvandy

What we have is a problem of institutionalized misinformation. In the PS3/360 era, all the focus was on new lighting and shaders and whatever else went into that cookie-cutter Unreal Engine 3 kind of look... For that, you needed a lot of GPU power, but the CPU didn't matter much. New gaming PCs were built with 80% of the budget spent on graphics, and it served well in most games. So everyone tells everyone to just make sure you have a good GPU. "Buy an eMachine and shove a 580 in there, you'll be fine!"

But this new generation has seen those graphics techniques mature and refine rather than completely change, and the PS4/Xbone are more powerful and well-rounded. A lot of PC gaming rigs are not. People have the same CPU they did 10-15 years ago and think simply upgrading the GPU will allow them to max out any new game... They're wrong. More developers are exploring more simulation-heavy game design, it's not just 4X games or Rockstar with their realistic physics in big, open worlds anymore.

They blame it on poor optimization or performance-leeching DRM because that's easier, more comfortable than admitting that maybe they've fallen behind the curve a bit... Consoles are offering better performance than your imbalanced PC gaming rig. Suck it up and get a new processor. A good one! Because developers are going to keep pushing that side of gaming, and I'm glad they are. The worst thing you can do is keep bitching and eventually make them think they shouldn't do what they're doing, 'cause that's how you end up with the same Call of Duty every fucking year using the same engine it did at the turn of the millenium.

News Comments > Steam Top 10

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2018, 23:33 jacobvandy

Oh yeah, with this multiplayer update, NMS is pretty rapidly transforming into a stereotypical online game. Central quest lines have repeated 90-minute timers that serve no purpose but to limit how quickly you can go through them (which weren't there a year ago), and like half of owning a fleet is sending frigates out on 'expeditions' that take anywhere from one to six hours before they return with loot for you.. They will definitely start selling cosmetics for that new character customization feature, and it wouldn't surprise me if they sell in-game currency or unique ships, etc., as well.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10

2. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2018, 16:57 jacobvandy

I'm enjoying it as well, but two years after release, it still feels like early access. So many bugs.. Even the tutorial quest line is riddled with them.  

News Comments > Fallout 76 Beta Starts for Xbox One in October

5. Re: Fallout 76 Beta Starts for Xbox One in October Jul 23, 2018, 22:35 jacobvandy

fawker wrote on Jul 23, 2018, 19:15:
For many fallout fans, this will be their first experience with a survival game. This ought to be one hell of a first week at launch.

Good point. Even as successful as ARK and Rust, etc. have been, they're still obscure indies compared to Fallout. It'll be open season for gankers, but on the other hand there's probably a better chance than in most of these games that you don't run into people like that.

News Comments > Evening Interviews

10. Re: Evening Interviews Jul 21, 2018, 04:04 jacobvandy

If anything, I found the survival mode to be too difficult when I was playing it last year. Although most of that was how much it fucks up the economy... Being very vulnerable to environmental hazards and enemies in combat was rough, yet still manageable after getting the hang of it. But all the resources were harder to find AND you couldn't carry as much AND everything cost way more. It was a nightmare trying to gather enough of anything to build even a modest base, and my ability to travel around in the starship was severely hindered by fuel being so scarce as well as it costing a whole tank of it to take off one time. Whereas in normal mode you're using only like 1/8th of a tank, so you can move quickly between POIs or giant resource veins without any risk of getting stuck.

I don't know if they've made any adjustments to that, or if the new patch will change it up some. But if you want a challenge, that's the mode for you, lol.

News Comments > Enter the Gungeon: Advanced Gungeons & Draguns Released

4. Re: Enter the Gungeon: Advanced Gungeons & Draguns Released Jul 20, 2018, 04:05 jacobvandy

Yeah, I haven't played it much yet, but this is a very impressive showing of post-release support for the game.  

News Comments > Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Free Content Next Week

2. Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Free Content Next Week Jul 19, 2018, 23:28 jacobvandy

There are some real serious dudes out there who still cling to the idea that Ghost Recon is a hardcore sim shooter. It's not anymore, if it ever was, but I suppose there's no harm in Ubisoft indulging them a bit. I've been playing this a lot lately, so I'm deep into the "end game" grind called Tier One mode that pretty quickly forces you into the highest difficulty... You gotta be fucked in the head to wish for permadeath on top of how crazy aware, accurate, and deadly the enemies are then, lol.

That "real reloading" thing is just plain dumb, though. If I'm really reloading a gun with a partial mag, I'm not just throwing that away. Basically a really lazy solution when you don't feel like programming it to keep track of a number of magazines and how many rounds are in each one. I believe they used to do that in Killing Floor.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of War Demo

10. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Demo Jul 19, 2018, 19:14 jacobvandy

Beamer wrote on Jul 19, 2018, 16:00:
Xero wrote on Jul 19, 2018, 14:46:
I'll probably give this demo a shot but I'm not expecting much. I got bored of the first after a lot of repetition. I hear this is more of the same with improvements.

I just hated the world of the first. Hated.
It's weird, I loved the Batman games, and everyone said these are similar. I think the issue for me is I never felt as godlike as Batman, but also never felt as safe as Batman is in the shadows or the rooftops. I felt like I had to constantly be on guard and couldn't gleefully head from Point A to Point B.

It's also possible I only played like 3 hours, so missed a lot, and it was a while ago, so I may be misrememering.

You're way more powerful in the sequel. Aside from the upgrades that make you almost too strong in melee (like your spirit elf auto-blocking attacks while you're busy draining or executing someone), there's way more emphasis on mounted combat. Riding a warg is easy mode against anything but major bosses or captains with a specific anti-mount trait, and then you're basically invincible while controlling a rancor graug or goddamned fire-breathing dragon. You also eventually unlock such ridiculous powers as being able to teleport 100 meters for a stealth takedown, so you don't even need to snipe people and can save your bow ammo for point-blank one-shotting charging orcs in endless bullet time.

News Comments > Original Crysis Multiplayer Support Ending

13. Re: Original Crysis Multiplayer Support Ending Jul 18, 2018, 23:26 jacobvandy

Crysis Wars! Came out with the expansion to the first game, and yeah it was pretty fun for a while. Nobody played it, though, because that was the height of the Call of Duty craze, and then the last good Battlefield game was out not long thereafter... Crysis MP just didn't catch on with that competition.  

News Comments > etc.

2. Re: etc. Jul 18, 2018, 19:13 jacobvandy

The Amazing Spider-Man was a multiplatform series lol, there's a PC version! Seems silly to promote an emulator with that one.  

News Comments > Clicker Heroes 2 Early Access

3. Re: Clicker Heroes 2 Early Access Jul 18, 2018, 08:25 jacobvandy

They're flipping the business model completely, so it's $30 one-time with no microtransactions. Here's what I found on that:

“We made a lot of money from these players who spent thousands. They are known to the industry as “Whales”. Great. If you’re rich, please be my guest. But we don’t want this kind of money if it came from anyone who regrets their decision, if it made their lives significantly worse as a result. Unfortunately, those who have a problem are usually in denial about it, and would be too ashamed to ask us for a refund. We would give the refund in a heartbeat. It’s not like we have artists drawing each ruby by hand. It costs us nothing but payment processing fees.

“We really don’t like making money off players who are in denial of their addiction. And that’s what a large part of free-to-play gaming is all about. Everyone in the industry seems to rationalize it by shifting the blame, assuming way too much cognizance on the part of their victims. People can make their own decisions, right? But it just doesn’t sit well with me. Despite very few of our players having complained, it felt wrong when we started doing it and it still feels wrong now.”

Apparently they have an open and unlimited refund policy for the microtransactions in the first game, which is pretty cool.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse

4. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 14, 2018, 03:12 jacobvandy

Well that's part of the issue at hand, isn't it? Those growing up in the internet age generally do not value or even really consider privacy the way people used to.

Many would consider an obscure subreddit or forum or even a personal Facebook/Instagram/Twitter feed to be "private," despite the fact that everything is recorded and technically able to be viewed by anyone at any time. And that's where these kids now are casually using the n-word as a term of endearment and saying something's gay when they mean dumb or uncool, etc., when previously that would be more isolated to a corner of the schoolyard or friend's house or wherever you'd gather in person.

I guarantee the same false feeling of isolation applies to these streamers until one day they become popular enough that people outside of their clique start to take notice and get offended by something they did or said because they don't feel like they're in public.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 13, 2018, 17:43 jacobvandy

I think every game on Switch that has some kind of cursor should use the gyro. It's so much better than traditional dual stick aiming on consoles. Not quite as precise as a mouse because you still need to use the stick for larger movements, but once you get used to that it's close. Really wish Minecraft supported it...  

News Comments > Steam Upcoming Tab Improved

4. Re: Steam Upcoming Tab Improved Jul 12, 2018, 22:28 jacobvandy

I think it took a couple extra clicks after the update, but this is what it I'm talking about: https://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Price_DESC&os=win&filter=comingsoon

It doesn't show games that are so far off they still don't have prices attached, but the next few months of major releases is pretty clear at a glance. Don't scroll down too far... I know there are good cheap games, but I'll find out about them other ways than trying to sort through that mess.

News Comments > Steam Upcoming Tab Improved

1. Re: Steam Upcoming Tab Improved Jul 12, 2018, 20:41 jacobvandy

I just sort by highest price when looking through upcoming releases, 'cause that's the easiest way to filter out most of the garbage...  

News Comments > Overwatch League on ESPN

12. Re: Overwatch League on ESPN Jul 12, 2018, 18:54 jacobvandy

Oh, I see, so you're an early adopter of hardwiring your brain directly to the computer... The rest of us plebes are still using our physical limbs to interact with the keyboard and mouse.  

News Comments > Fortnite 5.0 Kicks Off Season 5

13. Re: Fortnite 5.0 Kicks Off Season 5 Jul 12, 2018, 17:56 jacobvandy

The PVE game as it is now is approaching its first anniversary, so anything older than that is really not representative of what it's like. I've been playing pretty regularly since I picked it up during the December sale and it was fun enough to hook me then, but even in those 7-ish months there have been several massive changes for the better. They range from basic gameplay things like sprinting no longer consuming the same energy pool you use for abilities to multiple additions in how you can obtain items without having to open loot boxes.

Along with the aforementioned freebies and shop with specific items bought with currency earned through gameplay, they recently enabled you to unlock almost anything you want directly if you have enough account-bound resources, including the ultra-rare hero classes. To give an idea of how valuable that is to the player, it really pissed off some individuals who had previously spent $100(0)+ on loot boxes trying to obtain one of these mythic heroes... If you ask me, that's a sure sign of a great update in a [soon-to-be] F2P game.

4635 Comments. 232 pages. Viewing page 33.
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >