Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 4366 (Master)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact
81. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 26, 2019, 21:33 jacobvandy

Slick wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 20:17:
No other community cares about what store they buy a product from more than the product itself. The discussion on the games is practically nil. The threads that blow up are faffing competition between which faceless multinational billion-dollar DRM software they want to click "buy" from.

Yes, community is the key word here. I don't know how many people care more about it than the games themselves, but plenty of people care a lot about the community they're a part of on Steam. It's not just a store like Epic is right now, it's forums and profiles and social feeds and reviews and guides and achievements and media sharing and workshop mods and streaming and fully-featured chat... Maybe you don't involve yourself with much of that, but there are millions who do and some have been at it for a decade or more. They want to buy their games there not because they're lazy or because they're corporate sheep or whatever other little insults people make. It's because the games on Steam are integrated into this huge ecosystem that people like living in, the closest thing PC has to Xbox Live or PlayStation Network.

So you're right in that it's not just about the games. But it's not just about the stores, either.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 26, 2019, 16:47 jacobvandy

NKD wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 15:44:
I'd watch Bernie play a vidya game.

I'd be surprised if that's what they're doing. Twitch has been aggressively expanding into non-gaming broadcasts since Amazon bought them, he'll probably just be talking politics. It'll fit right in to their "just chatting" category along with the amateur podcasts, ASMR, Japanese girl eating, etc.

News Comments > Heavy Rain Floods In
11. Re: Heavy Rain Floods In Jun 25, 2019, 01:08 jacobvandy

And the GTA 3 trilogy wasn't highly-promoted by Sony as exclusive while greatly contributing to the PS2's complete domination of that console generation?

The phrase "in-house" was used, I'm just saying that's not the case here. This is a private developer that has retained control of their IP once their deals with Sony expired. So it's not the indicator of PlayStation exclusives going to other platforms that one might hope.

9. Re: Heavy Rain Floods In Jun 24, 2019, 22:59 jacobvandy

These aren't Sony games, Quantic Dream is an independent studio. They're more akin to Rockstar with how GTA was a PlayStation exclusive for a while.  

3. Re: Heavy Rain Floods In Jun 24, 2019, 20:41 jacobvandy

I'm still annoyed that they came out with the 3-in-1 package of these games right after Black Friday, when I finally picked up Detroit on PS4... I'll probably be waiting a good while to play the other two, once they're cheap enough to make up for that.  

News Comments > They Are Billions to Ease Difficulty
22. Re: They Are Billions to Ease Difficulty Jun 24, 2019, 16:45 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on Jun 24, 2019, 16:18:
Does TAB have a speed setting option? I like to play my RTSs slower than default these days. Lets me lose due to poor tactical decisions instead of because something I didn't notice was happening on the other side of the map.

No speed settings, but you can pause at any time (which lets you take as long as you want to plan and build) and it has that alert system for things happening off-screen such as units taking damage, walls under attack, or buildings being infected. There's also an option to automatically shift your view over to where the alert originated.

FloorPie wrote on Jun 24, 2019, 14:54:
The tech tree limitations where you have to basically restart the whole campaign (no save scumming) if it turns out you made a bad choice is not in any way fun or hard. It is just tedious.

I've seen this come up on the forums, too, but I'm very curious to know exactly what you'd have to spend your research points on to get stuck like that. How many people would actually go out of their way to do something like not unlock new units or defenses, the first of which is literally one of the initial 5 options at the start of the tree? The devs have stated that part of their playtesting involved trying out a myriad of wacky strategies including using only one type of starter unit, only towers, etc. and completed the campaign in many different ways, so for a player to find a research route that is truly impossible to progress with must be something special. Though my guess would be, again, that they were refusing to lower the difficulty to help solve their problem.

With that said, I'm seeing now that they pushed another update today (1.0.8) that allows you to create back-up saves of your campaign file as well as undo your last set of tech tree choices after failing a mission, so... Save-scummers rejoice! You can save before every time you research something if you're that worried about the possibility.

This comment was edited on Jun 24, 2019, 21:08.

15. Re: They Are Billions to Ease Difficulty Jun 24, 2019, 12:00 jacobvandy

I simply disagreed with the notion that the game can't be fun at first, before you know what you're doing. And they do teach you a lot of things now that they didn't in EA, plus what i mentioned before about the campaign very slowly introducing new things, including units, buildings, and enemy types. It took me near 20 hours before i got to a mission featuring a special zombie; everything before that was nothing but standard shamblers as you learn about building and securing your base, increasing population, expanding, and clearing the map.

Difficulty settings do make a difference, but the main one is just the number of zombies. This patch was a good move in regard to what I said earlier about silly pride, but it's still a token gesture. Notice they didn't actually change the what the settings do, only adjusted which one is the default. I can't say whether the time limits were too restrictive before or not because the patch was already applied when I started playing last Wednesday or Thursday. But neither of those things change the design of the game, how vulnerable you are to even a single zombie, or that you are held accountable for your mistakes.

12. Re: They Are Billions to Ease Difficulty Jun 24, 2019, 11:14 jacobvandy

Yep, I played a good bit of survival mode in EA, so getting started in the significantly easier campaign was no problem for me at all. However, there was never any "struggling through the un-fun to get to the fun" involved. I really enjoyed the game right from the beginning, even when I lost. You either enjoy games that aren't afraid to knock you on your ass or you don't, it's that simple. I really don't think these devs at interested in "fixing" that aspect of the game.  

4. Re: They Are Billions to Ease Difficulty Jun 23, 2019, 22:59 jacobvandy

I'm 10 or 12 missions in to the campaign so far (about the same number of hours), it seems I've barely scratched the surface based on my progress with the tech tree and across the world map, but it's pretty awesome! I love the blend of base-building and tactical missions, and the overall progression is satisfying. It's a great introduction to the game, too, because you start out with only basic units and buildings, then unlock new stuff slowly as you go. I'm sure that's a lot easier to swallow for newcomers compared to survival mode, where everything is thrown at you at once.

I'd recommend ignoring the bitching and moaning on Steam reviews and forums, though. Most complaints are about the forced 'iron man' mode in regards to saving, as well as the difficulty. These are not new things introduced with the campaign, it's been that way throughout early access and they've been very straightforward in that it's not going to change. This is an intentionally old-school kind of RTS, and it's not going to appeal to everyone. But if that's what you like, GET IT, because it's really good.

I, for one, wholeheartedly support these guys for making a game that is actually challenging and doesn't allow you to save-scum to undo every little mistake. Sure, you will fuck up while learning the game and you will fail some missions... But apparently that's not okay for a lot of people. They can't stand "wasting their time," as if playing the game itself is no fun at all if it ends in a loss. And yet they also refuse to lower the difficulty (and reduce their meaningless score) out of some weird sense of pride. So it's a catch-22 of modern gamer idiocy.

News Comments > May 2019 Digital Game Sales
9. Re: May 2019 Digital Game Sales Jun 22, 2019, 19:40 jacobvandy

They must be making a lot of money on microtransactions with NBA 2K19. It was only $3 (95% off) for all consoles during E3, so they're just trying to get more people in the door. Maybe they'll just go full F2P with it soon.  

News Comments > Total War: THREE KINGDOMS Getting Bloodier
4. Re: Total War: THREE KINGDOMS Getting Bloodier Jun 21, 2019, 21:28 jacobvandy

Yeah.. Even if you could render MK-level gore on thousands of units, you won't be zoomed in far enough to notice much of it during normal gameplay anyway. You buy this to stain battlefields red and maybe catch some dismemberment in those rare cases where you're super-focused on only a couple units fighting.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 21, 2019, 18:54 jacobvandy

This is why Nintendo doesn't have system-level voice chat or messaging. People are constantly bitching about how they're so "behind the times" or whatever, especially now that they charge for online play, but they definitely save themselves a lot of headaches from moderating the asshattery.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: etc., etc. Jun 19, 2019, 23:49 jacobvandy

They compare loot boxes to physical surprise purchases, but at least your duplicate toys or trading cards are still worth something and you can exchange them with other collectors. All these games treat dupes as garbage, encouraging or outright forcing you to exchange them for a pittance of a consolation prize, worth a fraction of what the first one you got is. And it's all non-transferable.

Imagine if the cashier opened your pack of baseball cards for you, comparing with a record of all the cards you previously acquired, and then just starting tossing some in a shredder. Then he gives you this pile of paper scraps along with your new cards and says if you collect 5 pounds of that crap you can trade it in for another pack... Ridiculous.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2019, Part 12
1. Re: It Came from E3 2019, Part 12 Jun 19, 2019, 21:01 jacobvandy

I dunno about "winning" E3, it seems every outlet comes up with their own criteria for that. But I certainly am looking forward more to Nintendo stuff than just about anything else I saw at the show this year. Everyone else had too many games being teased for Q1 2020 and beyond, while there are things I want to play on Switch coming every month until then.  

News Comments > They Are Billions Released
2. Re: They Are Billions Released Jun 18, 2019, 22:13 jacobvandy

I've been waiting for this! The campaign, I mean, even though the survival mode is a lot of fun, too.  

News Comments > It Came from E3 2019, Part 8
10. Re: It Came from E3 2019, Part 8 Jun 17, 2019, 12:44 jacobvandy

If a lot of savvy gamers don't participate in the survey, wouldn't that make it an even more accurate representation of what is 'mainstream?'  

6. Re: It Came from E3 2019, Part 8 Jun 16, 2019, 21:05 jacobvandy

No, [up to] 720p was last gen, despite the marketing for full HD support. Now a lot of games still struggle to maintain full HD, despite all the marketing for 4K. Most people who have 4K TVs never actually display 4K content on them... If you're just going by what all the TV ads or boxes pronounce in the largest font size, then 10 years ago was the "age of mainstream 3D." But of course, it wasn't.

Or if you want to look at the PC market, which I think is what we're dealing with when talking about ray-tracing right now, 1440p is not much larger of a niche than 4K or ultra-wide. That's under 5% of users according to Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

Maybe your definition of 'mainstream' is a bit on the looser side?

4. Re: It Came from E3 2019, Part 8 Jun 16, 2019, 18:39 jacobvandy

Simon Says wrote on Jun 16, 2019, 16:38:
1080p, but yeah, in the age of 1440p mainstream and 4k, 1080p60 is pretty stupid.

So... You're posting from the future? Are there flying cars yet, in this age you speak of?

News Comments > Fallout 76 Nuclear Winter Beta Extended
7. Re: Fallout 76 Nuclear Winter Beta Extended Jun 15, 2019, 21:20 jacobvandy

Frijoles wrote on Jun 15, 2019, 16:06:
Didn't they mention this coming to Steam some time? I figured I'd try it when it does, if it's cheap.

Yeah, but it was a vague release window like 'late 2019.' I'm sure they'll try to sell for full price at first, too, but it'll come down quick.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. 'why it's *almost* impossible to see the Matrix...' Jun 13, 2019, 11:36 jacobvandy

I was one of those teenagers, like the author, who watched the Animatrix and played Enter the Matrix along with the sequel films and thought the whole thing was pretty fucking amazing.  

4366 Comments. 219 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo