Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 3952 (Veteran)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Boss Key Accuses Epic of Poaching
1. Re: Boss Key Accuses Epic of Poaching Apr 16, 2018, 21:09 jacobvandy

So the garage band tweets at the current chart-topper with an accusation of stolen melodies... Just an excuse to promote their new album to a fan base much larger than their own.

They must have really meant it when they described Radical Heights as a passion project, if they're "really happy" about these numbers for a FREE game: http://steamcharts.com/app/809960#All

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 15, 2018, 17:00 jacobvandy

Rigs wrote on Apr 15, 2018, 16:44:
Also wanted to note that Far Cry 5, as of this morning, has been cracked! So, it took CPY, what? Not even a month? Ubi should give it up at this point...

=-Rigs-=

Forgetting the big picture, are we? Games used to be cracked on release day, if not leaked and fully playable up to a week in advance... If they're bragging about cracking something in "not even a month," that still means the publishers are winning, lol.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: Re:Teens Obsessed with Fortnite Apr 15, 2018, 16:48 jacobvandy

xXStellarDadXx wrote on Apr 15, 2018, 13:37:
Soon to be Radical Heights that teens will play...

Only Cliffy really believes that.

News Comments > Terraria: Otherworld Cancelled
4. Re: Terraria: Otherworld Cancelled Apr 14, 2018, 02:50 jacobvandy

Yeah, I'm starving for new Terraria, too, but unless something changed drastically since last I checked, Otherworld was not the sequel. It was more of a standalone expansion sort of thing, completely separate from Terraria 2, which has been in the works for 5 years or so. From what I can tell, development on that slowed down after they realized the outsourcing wasn't going so well and the main guy(s) had to try and salvage Otherworld... At least now that the side project has been put out of its misery, hopefully they're full-steam ahead on 2.  

News Comments > New BioShock Rumored
12. Re: New BioShock Rumored Apr 14, 2018, 02:27 jacobvandy

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 14, 2018, 01:18:
but when you compare it to a behemoth like the GTA series you see some holes that they probably simply couldn't afford to fill.

That's why they fail. The first Mafia was different enough to stand on its own, but when you go from GTA-like to GTA clone, you're inviting expectations you can't possibly live up to.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 11, 2018, 22:03 jacobvandy

Yeah... Rather than being triggered by the mention of he-who-shall-not-be-named Rolleyes , I'd suggest RTFA. Or here, a more comprehensive look at the issue that informed it: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2018/03/how-congress-censored-internet

Bottom line, it's bad, any help it might provide in the fight against sex trafficking is far outweighed by the Orwellian indirect attack on internet freedoms. Site owners such as Blue now have to worry about everything their users post (or might have posted previously), because just a poorly-worded crude joke that might possibly be construed as even supporting some kind of prostitution could get him in criminal trouble. Which I'm sure would be the end of Blue's News real quick, or at least the community portion of it. This isn't a partisan issue, it's not even pretending to be one as most of them do -- this is the government fucking all of us equally.

News Comments > Radical Heights Launched
12. Re: Radical Heights Launched Apr 10, 2018, 18:23 jacobvandy

Kxmode wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 17:13:
jacobvandy wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 16:29:
Currently #65 in total players online, right alongside H1Z1 and Clicker Heroes... Not a strong showing for a F2P launch.

On Twitch it's #4 with 77,293 viewers.

Lol, okay. You know what's still ahead of it? "Welcome to the Game II," apparently the latest fad of a shitty horror game that nobody buys but people like to watch for a minute. That game is $10 and has under 500 concurrent players: http://steamcharts.com/app/720250

Any bad free game can get tens of thousands of concurrent players on its launch day... Radical Heights just isn't.

Edit: To illustrate how volatile those numbers are, I've seen them both jump up and down by the tens of thousands multiple times in the past ten minutes. It's probably no more than a handful of mid-level streamers filtering in and out of either game. Regardless, Twitch viewers don't make CliffyB money. Meanwhile, Far Cry 5 pushed PUBG off the #1 spot and proved to be Ubisoft's second most successful launch ever, but it has only 12k viewers...

This comment was edited on Apr 10, 2018, 18:36.

7. Re: Radical Heights Launched Apr 10, 2018, 16:29 jacobvandy

Currently #65 in total players online, right alongside H1Z1 and Clicker Heroes... Not a strong showing for a F2P launch.  

5. Re: Radical Heights Launched Apr 10, 2018, 15:51 jacobvandy

Yeah, I don't get it. It's a horrible idea to play on nostalgia, 'cause anyone old enough to get any of these references is FAR from the target audience of a battle royale game. Gamers in the 40+ age group might give it a shot for that reason, but they won't be living and breathing it the way kids 8-18 would, which seem to comprise the majority of those who've made Fortnite BR such a success. They're all about half my age or less, and I was a '90s kid... So this game taking off would hinge more on its actual merits (unlikely), or some kind of miracle happening where '80s cheese suddenly comes back in style and this game is there to cater to that.  

News Comments > GTA5 the Most Successful Media Title of All Time
20. Re: GTA5 the Most Successful Media Title of All Time Apr 9, 2018, 15:22 jacobvandy

Ozmodan wrote on Apr 9, 2018, 15:01:
I find it strange that a game where you play a thug is the most popular game. I have watched the kids play it and just do not see what is so enthralling about it.

Well, it's a very deep and detailed open-world sandbox where you can do literally whatever you feel like, and there just aren't many viable role-play options for that, given the modern-day setting... It's either you're a criminal or high-level government spook, which are practically the same thing. But if you think the game as it is seems boring, imagine what it'd be like if you actually had to play a law-abiding citizen!

News Comments > Far Cry 5 Movie and Sales Records
3. Re: Far Cry 5 Movie and Sales Records Apr 4, 2018, 21:46 jacobvandy

In the days leading up to the launch of the game, I felt like it might be cool to watch a prequel short film (they had it on Prime Video)... But I didn't last longer than about three minutes because of its ungodly amalgamation of Blair Witch selfie cinematography with shithead millennial "vlogger" characters. No in-game cutscene in the history of the franchise has been so offensive to me.  

News Comments > Morning Patches
1. Re: Morning Patches Apr 4, 2018, 14:44 jacobvandy

"Content" Update... It's rapidly approaching a year since they launched in early access with 50% of planned quest lines and only one out of four tile sets complete. Instead of finishing such base content, all they've been doing is putting out re-skins or slight variations of weapons and heroes to go along with seasonal events. I hope, for their sake, they have something massive in the works for that first anniversary, 'cause as it is their most dedicated players are getting extremely bored.  

News Comments > No Man's Sky Next This Summer
8. Re: No Man's Sky Next This Summer Mar 29, 2018, 14:07 jacobvandy

It's been half-price multiple times in the past year, so that's how much I paid, subsequently enjoying it quite a bit. I was a little frustrated with the way you had to endure extremely high resource costs for everything on the higher difficulty if you wanted the stronger survival aspects, but maybe that's changed or there's a mod for it or something... I will most likely fire it up again when this update comes.  

News Comments > Sea of Thieves Selling Like Bandits
4. Re: Sea of Thieves Selling Like Bandits Mar 28, 2018, 22:32 jacobvandy

What a load of BS, lol. Can't you play for free with that Xbox subscription? And any time you have to put multiple qualifiers in front of "best-selling," it really isn't that much of a best-seller. I bet you I had the best-smelling bowel movement today (amongst dudes my age who live in this apartment complex)! Boasting about "total players" is something you do when your actual sales figures aren't worth touting.  

News Comments > Far Cry 5 Released
33. Re: Far Cry 5 Released Mar 27, 2018, 15:49 jacobvandy

VaranDragon wrote on Mar 27, 2018, 11:54:
Can anyone who has the game please comment whether it has PvP multiplayer?

Yes it does, up to 6v6 in Far Cry Arcade. I haven't spent any time with that mode yet, but that's where you find all the custom maps people create with the editor. I assume there are a decent number of official scenarios in there, too, the challenges range from solo to co-op to PVP.

News Comments > Far Cry 5 Released
32. Re: Far Cry 5 Released Mar 27, 2018, 15:37 jacobvandy

I'm having lots of fun with it. Although I'm still getting cinematic audio going in and out of sync (totally ruins the villainous monologues), and google has failed to find me even one other mention of this issue on the entire interweb...

My only other complaint aside from that is that the game apparently does not let you go all Skyrim and play around in the sandbox as much as you want, it actually forces you into the main quest line at certain intervals. Now I've realized this particular situation may be specific to the region I've been playing in, but I have been drugged and kidnapped in unavoidable, scripted fashion THREE different times so far, taking me kilometers away from where I was to show me a cutscene and then leave me to make my way back from the middle of nowhere. Ugh.

I get some of the reasoning, it's more immersive that the game world reacts to you as you act within it, rather than main characters waiting around for you to say "yes, I've had my fill of random carnage for now, so let us progress." But it's still pretty fucking annoying when I spend 20 minutes driving up a mountain road to get to some activity and then because I earned some "resistance points" 100m away from my destination, I hit some threshold to make the game decide it's story time and I'm whisked halfway across the map in the other direction.

News Comments > PUBG Free Weapon Skin
2. Re: PUBG Free Weapon Skin Mar 27, 2018, 11:30 jacobvandy

I bet it's non-tradeable and non-marketable, too.  

News Comments > Far Cry 5 Reviews
51. Re: Far Cry 5 Reviews Mar 26, 2018, 22:46 jacobvandy

I've been playing a few hours so far (used a VPN after the disappointment of finding out the midnight CET thing wasn't global...) and it's pretty sweet. Really gorgeous game and it runs very well on my 970. Getting a constant 50-60 FPS on Ultra settings at 1080p, or rather 19x12. Slight problem with out of sync audio in cutscenes, but it's possible I'm missing the day one patch because I didn't notice it download anything when I launched.

Seems like it throws you into the big, wide open world immediately after a brief tutorial zone, and it really feels like GTA with how much random action is piled onto you, lol. There's a fairly steady stream of enemy vehicles on the roads, so if you get into it with one of them, more will probably have joined the fray before your firefight is over. I got my hands on a compound bow pretty quickly, though, so I've been going the stealth route when I can. You get a big money bonus for clearing an outpost undetected, which is nice.

Re: politics, I kinda liked the sermon/schpiel I was hearing at an enemy outpost over the PA... It spoke at length over how stupid social media is. "We don't care what you're wearing, only that you're clothed. We don't care where or what you're eating, only that you're fed... (So many seek validation from) a like button, where is your confidence, where is your faith?" Etc. They almost had me thinking maybe this cult ain't so bad!

33. Re: Far Cry 5 Reviews Mar 26, 2018, 17:28 jacobvandy

NicklePop wrote on Mar 26, 2018, 17:20:
Kill all the Christians!

Interesting time to be alive; American culture has pretty much 180'd into a more Russia-China circa 1950 view of religion in the last ~30 years.

Is it not a refreshing change from "kill all the Muslims?"

6. Re: Far Cry 5 Reviews Mar 26, 2018, 11:16 jacobvandy

I was trying to find the unlock time for Uplay, and everything I saw was saying midnight CET. That'd be nice, since that's 4PM pacific!  

3952 Comments. 198 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo