Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 4288 (Master)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls at 25: Play ESO for Free
7. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 25, 2019, 17:08 jacobvandy

JTW wrote on Mar 25, 2019, 16:59:
They are also giving out a code that gives you a free copy of Morrowind. Today only.

Except the code doesn't work.

For anybody.

Bethesda's quality shows through again.

Oh, you mean TES III... For a minute I thought they were giving away the TESO expansion.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Mar 25, 2019, 10:43 jacobvandy

Some years ago, this type of article was complaining about NOT being able to unlock everything... Can't please everybody.  

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Mar 24, 2019, 21:59 jacobvandy

Just as estimates put the cost of GTAV at around $265m ($285m adjusted), it's been estimated RDR2 cost triple that based on how much their studios have grown since then. I don't think Bioware is that big, but working on Anthem for 6+ years with a staff likely around 1000 people, a total cost approaching $500m isn't far-fetched. Even if you don't want to speculate on that, I would be surprised if they reach their target of 6 million copies in 6 weeks, which is their stated expectation. That also sounds low to me for such a significant release, i.e. not one of their (bi-)annual rehashings.  

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Mar 24, 2019, 19:48 jacobvandy

Lol, this is not positive news for Anthem. That $100 million is ALL digital revenue, including actual copies of the game sold, which even if you assume were all basic $60 versions totals fewer than 2 million... But you know plenty of folks went for the digital deluxe, so it's definitely even less than that, maybe 1-1.5m. Reading past the headline shows that the microtransaction spending part of that is only $3.5 million, which sounds really low to me. The game had to cost them something like half a billion to make and market, right, if not more? So unless they sold at least 4x as many copies physical compared to digital, they didn't break even in their launch month. That's really disappointing for a tentpole release like this.  

News Comments > Quantic Dream's PC System Specs
4. Re: Quantic Dream's PC System Specs Mar 24, 2019, 19:08 jacobvandy

Quinn wrote on Mar 24, 2019, 17:40:
I think those specs are for resolution scale x800 and MSAA x800. Only way those specs make sense.

4k targeting 60fps I bet, like the games run on a PS4 Pro. The two that were originally on PS3 were remastered a few years ago, so I assume it's that version of them being ported.

News Comments > Sunday Patches
2. Re: Sunday Patches Mar 24, 2019, 16:23 jacobvandy

The game is 60fps by default, and as mentioned in the article and reported by multiple people in the original source forum thread, unlocking it can cause gameplay bugs.  

News Comments > Get Tacoma for Free
4. Re: Get Tacoma for Free Mar 21, 2019, 21:08 jacobvandy

pacbowl wrote on Mar 21, 2019, 21:04:
Is it just me or is this not a steam key?

It's not, you get the DRM-free version like you'd buy from GOG.

News Comments > Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice Reviews
22. Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice Reviews Mar 21, 2019, 20:21 jacobvandy

FROM does some of the best worldbuilding and environmental art in the business, I think it's worth playing these just to see that. But if you're dying more than a couple times at any one point other than maybe the end boss or other abnormally rough fight, you're doing it wrong. Either you wandered into a place you're not meant to go yet and are completely outmatched, or you need a better understanding of your gear and combat style. They also test your awareness pretty frequently, so it is easy to get blindsided and die unexpectedly, but after you know what's coming, dying again to that same thing is on you. A lot of people don't like to accept that kind of responsibility, which is why so many games these days have a Tourist difficulty setting..  

News Comments > Steam Adding Events and Renovating Game Libraries
3. Re: Steam Adding Events and Renovating Game Libraries Mar 21, 2019, 20:03 jacobvandy

Sepharo wrote on Mar 21, 2019, 19:49:
... Didn't Steam already have events?

I used to routinely get little toast pop-ups for stuff like a multiplayer shooter starting a tournament or event.

Yeah, but I believe those are just alerts from certain posts made in community groups you have joined, which have been cleverly utilized by some devs for that purpose. Sounds like this new feature will be specifically made for it and include several functions to improve on the idea.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 20, 2019, 15:38 jacobvandy

For this attack to work, though, a user would have to be tricked into opening a malicious website while logged into Google Photos, and the hacker would have to dedicate a certain amount of effort to the attack, so it was never a prevalent risk.

I.e. they get into your account and look at the original images' metadata... This is some grade-school level shit, but throw in enough words like vulnerable, attacker, malicious, etc. in your Engadget interview and you can justify your position as a cyber-security consultant for another month. The real solution is to TURN OFF LOCATION DATA so you're not embedding GPS coordinates in every damned photo you produce.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Mar 19, 2019, 21:05 jacobvandy

It's about damn time anyone but EA made a Star Wars game again.  

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Mar 18, 2019, 17:03 jacobvandy

It's $20 on Uplay, too, unless that sale was only for the weekend.  

News Comments > Epic's Sweeney Calls Exclusives "PROCOMPETITIVE"
4. Re: Epic's Sweeney Calls Exclusives Mar 18, 2019, 11:05 jacobvandy

Massive god complex on this one, for sure... It's really difficult for an ego not to swell to ridiculous proportions when you inject billions of dollars into it practically overnight, regardless of that being due more to sheer luck than any personal ability. In his warped mind, it doesn't even register that he might be using the wrong words, it just sounds good to him as he expresses his "vision." This is from his post the other day after the Steam data stuff showed up:

Love it or hate it, Epic's strategy is my strategy and continues 28 years of Epic's history of releasing games from ourselves and others (remember https://www.dosgames.com/imgs/catalogs/catalog_epic_summer1992.gif)? Right now stores collect 30% of $100 billion of digital game revenue, and we're pulling out all the stops to bring developers a better deal. That means Fortnite, a free game every two week, and lots of exclusives. And, yes, we're aiming to make a profit for ourselves from our 12% cut while doing this!

He sees the new EGS as his chance to revive his glory days as a hotshot entrepreneur founding EPIC MEGAGAMES and taking the PC gaming world by storm!

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Re: Mar 15, 2019, 23:58 jacobvandy

Beamer wrote on Mar 15, 2019, 17:02:
I mean, they seemed to be building a story about a white nationalist christian cult. Then, it was just bland villains with bland motivation. It totally avoided any kind of commentary around that, and could have been placed in any country at any time in history.

There were black guys in the cult, they just aren't very numerous in somewhere like Montana... Anyway, I'm pretty sure your "commentary" lies more in the ambient details of the world, you just have to pay closer attention to notice. In particular, it seems that some of the cult's ideals aren't that crazy, not that the game gives you much choice but to oppose them. It's subtle because they still want their game to sell to a wide audience, which I guess is the point the article is making. But I disagree that it is really needed.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 15, 2019, 20:58 jacobvandy

I know a lot of people love doing it, but I just can't bring myself to sully the Switch with that... I used to play Game Boy games on the toilet, but now with a smartphone I don't have the need.  

News Comments > Epic Games Store Denies Illicit Scraping; Posts Roadmap
5. Re: Epic Games Store Denies Illicit Scraping; Posts Roadmap Mar 15, 2019, 13:47 jacobvandy

HoSpanky wrote on Mar 15, 2019, 12:33:
Well if this only happens when a user intentionally imports their friends from Steam, I donít see the issue. I AsSUME it checks if email addresses of your steam friends line up with ones on Epicís own users.

I never did that, I KNOW my friends and theyíve been added to Epic one by one. While the Epic store is absurdly bare-bones, it works well enough that I can play Satisfactory. That is, at least to me, enough to use the store. Just like the Forza Horizon games are good enough to be worth the PITA that is the Microsoft Store.

Oh, there's an issue alright, since it takes a copy of that Steam profile information file automatically, from everyone, whether or not you opted to import your friends. Sweeney says they made the choice not to use the Steam API because of their personal views about some APIs being untrustworthy (specifically referencing Facebook), but neglected to mention why they decided to grab the data first and maybe use it later, with[out] your permission. He went on to say, now that it's been pointed out as ridiculous and possibly illegal, they're gonna work on changing that...

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 14, 2019, 15:22 jacobvandy

Do they have enough toilets over there in India yet, or did they just skip ahead a century to widespread mobile phone addiction?  

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Mar 13, 2019, 20:45 jacobvandy

FWIW, it seems to be a slice of pizza with an eyeball and teeth to give it an almost skull-like appearance, which is pretty weird. I guess they changed the title, though, since the article doesn't contain that "odd, alarming options" statement anywhere that I can see now.  

News Comments > Phoenix Point an Epic Games Store Exclusive
66. Re: Phoenix Point an Epic Games Store Exclusive Mar 13, 2019, 16:29 jacobvandy

HoSpanky wrote on Mar 13, 2019, 15:47:
Yet the end result is identical. So it makes no difference.

Your logic here doesn't mesh very well with your views on piracy. If the end result is people play the game, what's the difference if they pay or not, right? Either complain about ALL the wrong ways people go about doing things, or none, man!

News Comments > Windows 7 Gets (Some) DirectX 12 Support
13. Re: Windows 7 Gets (Some) DirectX 12 Support Mar 13, 2019, 15:29 jacobvandy

Hanneth wrote on Mar 13, 2019, 13:25:
because a large portion of the hard core gaming user base is still on Windows 7.

(citation needed)

4288 Comments. 215 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo