Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 4481 (Master)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Summerfall Studios
2. Re: Summerfall Studios Sep 18, 2019, 11:37 jacobvandy

Beamdog had/has writers? Who knew they made original games?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 18, 2019, 11:34 jacobvandy

Beyond the clickbait, the article regurgitates a blog post where someone calls out a couple of IMITATION ad blocking extensions using those popular names to lure users. Apparently they each fooled nearly a million people into propagating fraudulent referral schemes.  

News Comments > New Steam Library Beta
9. Re: New Steam Library Beta Sep 18, 2019, 01:32 jacobvandy

I like more than I dislike. I was never a huge fan of the tile view before, so that will take some getting used to and it is kind of a pain to scroll through up to hundreds of items that way... But the pages for individual games are WAY better now. I'm also liking the context menu for the list on the left; being able to select multiple games and move them into categories without having to bring up another window with stinking checkboxes was actually the one thing I wanted most.

My biggest complaint is the "What's New" section at the top, which seems to be the latest news post(s) from each of your most-played games. Not a terrible idea, but in practice I'm seeing at least as much advertisement for DLC releases as I am information about updates or events. I'd like to disable that, if not have some control over what type of posts and from which games will show up.

News Comments > Rockstar Launches Game Launcher with GTA: San Andreas Giveaway
6. Re: Rockstar Launches Game Launcher with GTA: San Andreas Giveaway Sep 17, 2019, 20:30 jacobvandy

So, anyone know if they've fixed the digital version of San Andreas since ruining it five years ago? Gutting several of the radio stations was bad enough, but they even broke or intentionally downgraded some things at a system level so that ALL versions were identical to their fucking mobile port. I.e. HD resolutions such as 1080p were dropped, previously fixed crashes were reintroduced, of course all older saves were wrecked... But hey, the game now has native Xbox controller support!

Giving this away for free now without a constructive update is only going to remind people of these issues.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: Beating Minecraft without walking Sep 16, 2019, 22:11 jacobvandy

Boo, when they mentioned a pig in the first bit, I thought he did nothing but ride around on one of those (they randomly move on their own if you don't lead them)... Nope.

Of course, you do need to actually move in Minecraft, so TheHeightAdvantage crafted a boat. The boat is on land, one block away, but mounting the boat moves him over to it. Collect the boat, place it one block away, and mount it again: it's slow, but it does get you around.

Using boats as normal seems reasonable, which he apparently also did a lot, but he essentially used a super tedious exploit to replace walking where that wasn't possible. Then he did use the carrot on a stick to lead the pig, which is not much different than just walking... I give him a C- for a half-assed neat idea.

News Comments > U.K. Sales Chart
4. Re: U.K. Sales Chart Sep 16, 2019, 16:43 jacobvandy

Bhruic wrote on Sep 16, 2019, 16:38:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 16, 2019, 15:36:
Caslon wrote on Sep 16, 2019, 13:34:
Must be a mistake somewhere, there aren't 3 spots taken by the Sims games.

Also, BL3 #1? The UK needs to get with the EGS-hate program.

It's across all platforms. Pretty sure XBox and PS don't have to deal with EGS.

This is also why you don't see The Sims dominating; that's on their PC chart.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding
2. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Sep 16, 2019, 15:42 jacobvandy

You're thinking of Wheel of Time, aren't you?  

News Comments > The Outer Worlds Video
17. Re: The Outer Worlds Video Sep 16, 2019, 09:48 jacobvandy

Quinn wrote on Sep 16, 2019, 05:56:
deqer wrote on Sep 15, 2019, 16:23:
Welp. It's not doing too well on YouTube. Check the likes and comments.

Probably bunch of tilting idiots angry about the EGS exclusivity. Fuck EGS' practices but man, am I sick and tired of people review/preview bombing games (and movies) for reasons that have nothing to do with the actual game (or movie) itself.

On the contrary, all the top ones are about how poorly this demo was made and how rough the game looks overall. No mention of EGS whatsoever, unless the comments that aren't in English made one.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 15, 2019, 18:33 jacobvandy

I would think it's because you can pay $10 a month to Microsoft to play Gears 5 and whatever other Xbox ports you want. Makes $60 up-front a bit of a hard sell for people, especially when you know it'll be discounted within a month or two.  

News Comments > Borderlands 3's Successful, Buggy Launch
22. Re: Borderlands 3's Successful, Buggy Launch Sep 14, 2019, 22:01 jacobvandy

Well, BL2 hit a peak of ~124k at its launch in 2012, so if BL3 reached 250k that would put it above how many people still play GTA Online and Rainbow 6: Siege every day (~140-150k peaks) but still well below the trio of multiplayer juggernauts on Steam that do up to 700-800k+ daily: CS:GO, DOTA 2, and PUBG.

For comparison, 250k would just about tie with Payday 2's highest peak a couple years ago, when they released an ultimate edition and VR support. Skyrim's player count peak when it launched in 2011 was 280k, a record for third-party games on Steam which was finally broken by GTA V three and a half years later with 360k. Bethesda took it back a few months after that with Fallout 4, which peaked at 470k at launch (FO4 is still the highest count for any game outside of the aforementioned juggernauts). Last year, Monster Hunter: World launched with a peak player count of ~330k, and Hitman 2 peaked a little higher than that within its first couple of weeks at ~355k.

Note that some of these games may have been available outside of Steam, so the numbers could actually be higher than recorded.

News Comments > Another J.J. Abrams/Bad Robot Gaming Deal
2. Re: Another J.J. Abrams/Bad Robot Gaming Deal Sep 14, 2019, 02:35 jacobvandy

Xero wrote on Sep 13, 2019, 12:54:
I find a Half Life movie wouldn't translate to the big screen well. I mean what made it great for it's time was living the experience in the eyes of a peasant scientist. The lack of talking from Gordon and just listening in on everyone else losing their minds or succumbing to the accident is what made it so tense.

The movie would be little more than a sci-fi survival film that probably wouldn't stand out much more than any other typical sci-fi movie but non-revolutionary.

It's just one of those games that was meant to be played and not really watched on tv, lol.

I'd be surprised if they just poop out a film adaptation of one of the games. There are so many different things going on in that universe, it's ripe for exploring another angle. You could make it about G-man (from the perspective of some others he's made contact with to preserve the mystique), resistance fighters and what they were doing while Gordon was gone, the establishment of Aperture Science and how it fell apart (Cave Johnson!), etc.

News Comments > The Games of August
2. Re: The Games of August Sep 14, 2019, 01:18 jacobvandy

I'm glad Astral Chain is doing well, kinda crazy that it made the top 10 despite releasing on the 30th. It's a new IP from the makers of Nier: Automata and Bayonetta, so plenty of stylized action abounds. I haven't gotten far enough yet to taste anything other than some combat and the futuristic setting, but supposedly the exploration-based detective work stuff is pretty good, too.  

News Comments > Deep Rock Galactic Free Weekend
2. Re: Deep Rock Galactic Free Weekend Sep 12, 2019, 21:45 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on Sep 12, 2019, 20:42:
Anyone play this? Is it like L4D, but with space dwarves?

If in L4D you were tasked with gathering as much of the precious materials scattered around the level as possible before you escape the way you came, kind of? There are no handcrafted levels with specific objectives and orchestrated battles to get through, you just occasionally have waves of bugs coming at you. Overall, it reminds me more of spelunking the randomly-generated caves in Minecraft, just with more enemies.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Sep 12, 2019, 19:05 jacobvandy

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 12, 2019, 12:35:
Schlong Slider?!?

Conan Exiles has that. IIRC the range goes from 'bird's egg in a nest' to 'Ned Flanders.'

News Comments > DRAGON BALL Z: KAKAROT in January
2. Re: DRAGON BALL Z: KAKAROT in January Sep 12, 2019, 18:14 jacobvandy

Oh yeah, this one's going on the wishlist.  

News Comments > Pine Next Month
3. Re: Pine Next Month Sep 12, 2019, 15:59 jacobvandy

This begins a wave of multiple Zelda BOTW-likes that I am looking forward to trying out.  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Sep 12, 2019, 01:25 jacobvandy

Yeah, 200 of their 5800 stores... My town has 3 or 4 of them within 10-minute drives of each other, they could stand to close down a lot more than 200.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Sep 11, 2019, 18:54 jacobvandy

People complaining about selling a fridge that allows your stored food to last 50% longer truly are not aware of what real P2W mechanics are...  

News Comments > RUNE II in November; Open Beta This Month
8. Re: RUNE II in November; Open Beta This Month Sep 11, 2019, 16:42 jacobvandy

Do you call it an action RPG if it's a simple multiplayer brawler? I'm reading it has an open world single player campaign with co-op support, and they decided to add deathmatch due to beta tester feedback.  

News Comments > Anthology of Fear Announced
2. Re: Anthology of Fear Announced Sep 11, 2019, 12:13 jacobvandy

I'd rather have remastered F.E.A.R. games, all of them in one package. An anthology, if you will.  

4481 Comments. 225 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo