Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 4413 (Master)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > PC Monster Hunter: World Next Month
11. Re: PC Monster Hunter: World Next Month Jul 10, 2018, 03:25 jacobvandy

MattyC wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 02:38:
JeffD wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 22:19:
Have fun going against battle for azeroth, capcom.

Not even close to in the know on this series (played a bit of the PS2 version, but that is all), but I didn't think any of the US versions were ever close to or ever suppose to be close to MMOish? I know they have had MMO like titles, but I was under the impression that those were all Japan only.

I think he refers to them releasing less than a week apart. However, I'm not sure that matters so much anymore.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Jul 9, 2018, 21:14 jacobvandy

"Annoyed by people telling you how to do your job."

Yeah, that's virtually everyone who's ever worked in their life... the difference is that most people are actually merely annoyed and maybe joke about it with co-workers, they aren't legitimately offended and launching into public arguments with customers. Unless they're a bad employee. You've gotta have an even thicker skin if you're doing something creative and are SEEKING feedback from those you're doing it for.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2018, 16:14 jacobvandy

That's funny, my wife liked Infinity War *because* of the ending. She's the type who gets annoyed by typical Hollywood films, and so enjoys it more when everybody dies, like what happened in Rogue One. She was less enthused when I told her there's a part two coming.  

News Comments > Destiny 2 Free Weekend Underway
18. Re: Destiny 2 Free Weekend Underway Jul 7, 2018, 23:38 jacobvandy

Yeah, there's a discount on the "expansion pass," which apparently is just a bundle of those two already-released ones? Because it does not include the third expansion coming out in a couple months. For some reason, that one requires that you own the other expansions in order to buy and play it...

So if you're like me and still only own the base game, you can buy the "expansion pass" for $19.99 (currently discounted from $34.99). But if you're interested in the upcoming expansion that they're saying is supposed to be the best one, you HAVE to buy the "expansion pass" to be eligible to buy the third expansion for another $39.99 (that's about how much I paid for the base game!). THEN if you want any further content beyond that, you've gotta buy the new "annual pass" that includes three releases of "premium content" throughout the next calendar year for another $34.99.

That seems excessive to me.

News Comments > Monster Hunter: World PC Date and Specs Monday
9. Re: Monster Hunter: World PC Date and Specs Monday Jul 7, 2018, 17:33 jacobvandy

Cutter wrote on Jul 7, 2018, 16:54:
Vast minority? 8 million sales versus 7 billion people on the planet. You need to redo the math.

Math begins with correctly identifying the numbers you're doing the math to. Rolleyes

News Comments > Monster Hunter: World PC Date and Specs Monday
5. Re: Monster Hunter: World PC Date and Specs Monday Jul 7, 2018, 16:22 jacobvandy

Different strokes for different folks, of course, but all indications are that the people who think this game sucks are in the vast minority. It's the as yet uncontested biggest release of the year; the average review is 90/100, it became Capcom's best-selling game of all time almost immediately (5m sold at launch, 8m within 3 months), and probably's the biggest multiplatform console-seller since GTA 5.  

News Comments > New Steam Sales Estimate Method Shut Down
10. Re: New Steam Sales Estimate Method Shut Down Jul 6, 2018, 20:54 jacobvandy

I don't claim to know exactly how the Steam achievement system works -- I saw them mention in the article that it's "players" and not "owners" -- but still, I'm talking about Fallout 4 specifically. I've seen loads of people asking on Steam forums and elsewhere about why achievements aren't unlocking for them... These are clearly people who do play the game, often times they play a lot of it, and they're reporting problems which are likely caused by mechanisms in the game itself.

It could be random bugginess, but we know for sure that the use of console commands and/or certain mods can disable achievements. That's just a fact, it applies to many more games than FO4, and it definitely would impact the accuracy of any such "market research" derived from achievement data. Whether or not people who own the game but never played it are included is a totally separate issue.

News Comments > Dead Island 2 Not Dead
2. Re: Dead Island 2 Not Dead Jul 6, 2018, 18:55 jacobvandy

Wallshadows wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 18:32:
With Dying Light already a thing and a sequel in the future they may as well should scrap whatever they have and start fresh assuming they even had a lot to begin with.

Pretty much. Whatever they did to screw things up with Techland, you know they're regretting that now. They have nothing left but the name and they have no idea what to do with it.

News Comments > New Steam Sales Estimate Method Shut Down
2. Re: New Steam Sales Estimate Method Shut Down Jul 6, 2018, 18:29 jacobvandy

I don't know how accurate achievement data is, anyway, when you see stuff like this happen all the time: https://steamcommunity.com/stats/377160/achievements/

21% of people who have played Fallout 4 (this is distinct from those who simply own it) didn't 'Enter the Wasteland,' i.e. leave the tutorial vault? Bullshit. Hundreds of thousands, if not millions, just didn't get the achievement for some reason. Whether by a glitch or using cheats/mods, etc.

News Comments > Guild Wars II Writers Fired Over Social Media Spat
52. Re: Guild Wars II Writers Fired Over Social Media Spat Jul 6, 2018, 17:56 jacobvandy

You don't have free speech at work. If you speak about your work and are interacting with your customers on social media, then you are working while using social media... What she did is no different than working the register at a department store and telling a customer to fuck off when they come up and ask nicely to return something. Then they (amazingly) apologized and started to walk away, but then she came around the counter and started poking them in the chest like she wanted to throw fists! That is not just deserving of a firing, that's suicide by cop, er, management.  

News Comments > Anthem Gameplay Video
9. Re: Anthem Gameplay Video Jul 6, 2018, 02:53 jacobvandy

To be fair, it'd be virtually impossible to design a game like this around unlimited flying. That's why there's always an overheat/cooldown thing or finite fuel resources that you need to manage. Otherwise you live in the nightmare that is reigning in the folks who will abuse the fuck out of it without hindering the rest of your players who use it more moderately.

It's hardly a cut and dry limitation, though. Just in the first five minutes of this video they show how flying under a waterfall cools your jets and resets the time limit, and diving downward at a high speed does a similar thing with the extra air flow. So even ignoring the high likelihood of jet booster upgrades through items and/or skills, that type of stuff will no doubt allow you to stay in the air a pretty long time while still preventing stuff like testing the height limit of the sky box.

Plus we're seeing the perspective of their heavy tank class, which as the voice over explains has sacrificed mobility for armor and firepower... How can anyone be so sure that the other, lighter suits don't have even more aerial movement ability?

News Comments > Fear the Wolves Early Access This Month
3. Re: Fear the Wolves Early Access This Month Jul 5, 2018, 17:10 jacobvandy

Luckily I've just discovered a really cool S.T.A.L.K.E.R. mod called Dead Air. AFAIK it's pretty new and the English translation is still a bit rough, but it's some really nice hardcore survival layered on top of the fan-made mega-map that puts all three games' playable areas together.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/dead-air

News Comments > New Twitch Prime Freebies
7. Re: New Twitch Prime Freebies Jul 3, 2018, 19:11 jacobvandy

WebSoldier wrote on Jul 3, 2018, 18:50:
Does that mean that they don't give you a steam key for this? I want QUBE 2 but I do not want to pay them after the 30 days. So in order to play QUBE 2 after the 30 days, I would have to keep paying $12.99/monthly to keep playing?

Blue mentioned in his blurb that you do not... Amazon does this to push more people into using their Twitch games app, a newer competitor to Steam. So being a Prime member during one of these promotions will add the game(s) to your Twitch account to keep, and you access them through the standalone Twitch client.

News Comments > Turtle Rock Making Competitive FPS Sequel
13. Re: Turtle Rock Making Competitive FPS Sequel Jul 2, 2018, 15:08 jacobvandy

I wouldn't be surprised at a new Counter-Strike, but I suppose Left 4 Dead 3 is possible if they're intending to put more emphasis on the Versus mode. Unless they're just talking out of their ass and are referring to Evolve as a "globally known" franchise... With the way that first game flopped, twice, my money's on them being back to working with Valve in some capacity.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 2, 2018, 04:08 jacobvandy

Slick wrote on Jul 1, 2018, 19:54:
Nice to see FFXV on the list, maybe it's on sale?

I really liked that game, the first RPG I got the wife to ever play through with a controller on the console, and it was her first JRPG too.

She just started Nier: Automata, which got great reviews, I'm next in line to play And I'll say this, from someone who didn't grow up with games, and who's new to using a controller you'd think she'd have a hard time with the Platinum Games style of action, but I wanted to push her a bit, and she's really taken to it, we're on day 2 and she's about 7 hours in and not giving up the controller.

Apparently, it takes 20 hours to beat, but then there are 4 more endings you should play through, and the fifth one "route E" is supposed to me genuinely amazing in a mindfuckery kind of way. One major review outlet said something like: "The night I beat Nier: Automata, I slept well. The night I REALLY finished Nier: Automata I couldn't get a wink"

For the reference, time to beat average says 20 hours for first playthrough, 6-7 for each other one, but can go faster by skipping everything but main quests. 60 hours for a completionist run.

I don't want to spoil anything for you, but the game is far from over the first time the credits roll. You get *maybe* half the story by then, if not less. And yeah, the final ending is worth completing.

News Comments > QuakeCon 2018 Registration
2. Re: QuakeCon 2018 Registration Jun 30, 2018, 16:47 jacobvandy

I have some friends who have been attending the BYOC every year for like 10 years now, and they're starting to lose interest. Apparently the venue and setup therein sucked last year, and the prices keep going up each year despite the swag, etc. getting worse.. I think since Zenimax took over they've been squeezing the LAN partiers a little more every time to offset the cost of their own mini-E3 they put on simultaneously.  

News Comments > Fallout 76 Multiplayer Trailer
4. Re: Fallout 76 Multiplayer Trailer Jun 27, 2018, 07:03 jacobvandy

Armengar wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 03:06:
wait till the real youtube videos showing some poor sap getting ganked by gangs.

It remains to be seen how much ganking there'll actually be... It's been flat-out stated that dying will not cause you to lose any progress, which would have to mean that you don't lose your items or anything. We see the reward in caps when you kill another player, so there is some incentive, but there's not a lot of grief when all you cause them to do is respawn back at their base or wherever.

News Comments > Fallout 76 Gameplay Trailer
5. Re: Fallout 76 Gameplay Trailer Jun 25, 2018, 22:03 jacobvandy

Yeah, it's just a direct feed of what they showed at their E3 presentation. They showed a lot more actual gameplay after this while Todd went into more details, along with some Vault-Tec educational video clips that I'm guessing will be part of a tutorial or something.

As I said before, my only concern was the ability to play in a private game and that's been confirmed, so I'm in. I'm willing to give the public MP a shot, but I know I'll end up playing mostly solo or with a few friends.

News Comments > Morning Patches
3. Re: Morning Patches Jun 25, 2018, 14:29 jacobvandy

Whenever I read about Dwarf Fortress, it sounds really cool... But then I remember playing that game is like looking at the raw feed of the Matrix.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 25, 2018, 14:28 jacobvandy

VaranDragon wrote on Jun 25, 2018, 13:04:
Buying into these event pass bullshit things is for the truly gullible. It won't make you a better player, it sure as hell won't make you cool.

No, but it does give you some cosmetic rewards to work toward that end up being cheaper than purchasing individual ones outright. At least, that's how it works in Fortnite BR, I assume it's similar for PUBG.

4413 Comments. 221 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo