Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 3952 (Veteran)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Boss Key Closed
27. Re: Boss Key Closed May 14, 2018, 23:09 jacobvandy

Careers are ended over single dumb remarks all the time, at least Cliffy was able to continue working in the industry. But you can't expect that bridge you burned to be there when the big console makers don't care about you anymore and you resort to making PC games again... It wasn't until then, after founding Boss Key, that he decided "oh shit, I should probably apologize to these people before I ask them to buy my next game."  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Boss Key Closed
13. Re: Boss Key Closed May 14, 2018, 19:23 jacobvandy

"Well received?" What planet does this fucking guy live on? The game's reviews are split almost perfectly down the middle and its peak population of 12k concurrent players at release crumbled to less than half of that in only one week... After a month it struggled to have more than 1k people playing at once, and the game is FREE! All you had to do was make a half-decent clone and appeal to the people who a) would like to play PUBG but can't or don't want to spend the $30 and b) are too lazy or stubborn to install another store client and create another account to do so. It's not difficult to imagine that there are more than enough people like that to enable you to at least break even, i.e. not have to shut down your studio almost immediately.

http://steamcharts.com/app/809960#All

News Comments > RAGE 2 Announce Trailer
3. Re: RAGE 2 Announce Trailer May 14, 2018, 13:49 jacobvandy

SlimRam wrote on May 14, 2018, 13:30:
"Dive headfirst into a dystopian world devoid of society, law, and order. RAGE 2 brings together a true open world FPS experience where you can go anywhere, shoot anything, and explode everything."
So they mean it's going to be almost exactly like 'Mad Max' the game in almost every way, seeing as Avalanche made 'Mad Max' the game, except it will be a FPS?

Gotcha.

That's fine by me!

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale May 12, 2018, 17:27 jacobvandy

Denuvo, schmenuvo, it's a fun game. 25-50 hours of open world gameplay that combines Batman: Arkham melee with driving around and scavenging upgrades for a badass death machine roadster... At $5 they're practically paying you to play it.  

News Comments > Steam Bringing Games and Streaming to Mobile
11. Re: Steam Bringing Games and Streaming to Mobile May 10, 2018, 15:34 jacobvandy

CthulhuFan wrote on May 10, 2018, 13:03:
Sepharo wrote on May 10, 2018, 02:36:
Smart TVs have had a streaming Steam app for a long time though.
This seems pretty specifically for "Android (phone, tablet, TV) and iOS-based (iPhone, iPad, Apple TV)".

Some do some don't. Isn't that mostly a modern Samsung thing?

I have Steam Link hardware and I absolutely love it. As far as I'm concerned, more options to access your rig on the home theater is great.

Yep, only newer Samsung TVs starting about a year ago, so that was like the beta test. Making the app available for all devices running Android or iOS is a major milestone for Steam attempting to invade living rooms everywhere.

News Comments > Steam Bringing Games and Streaming to Mobile
5. Re: Steam Bringing Games and Streaming to Mobile May 10, 2018, 01:16 jacobvandy

You guys really think they'll be providing touch controls for anything? Seems to me like it'd just be video streaming and a relay for controllers, same as the Steam Link box. Valve never uses the word "mobile" in their announcement, I doubt phones or even tablets are the primary target here. It's more about eliminating the need for the discrete hardware that nobody was buying, since loads of people already have a smart TV or set-top box that they prefer to use for that sort of thing.  

News Comments > Avengers: Infinity War Fortnite Crossover Event
8. Re: Avengers: Infinity War Fortnite Crossover Event May 7, 2018, 21:31 jacobvandy

I've seen people clamoring for various real superhero skins in the game, but I know that even officially-licensed Marvel games have these strict requirements for how characters are depicted. Like they'd never let you just dress up as Iron Man or whoever as you run around spraying your assault rifle and rocket launchers all over the place... (Maybe they'd allow a Punisher skin, lol.) But transforming into Thanos with a power-up and having some of those crazy powers makes more sense. As one of the dozens of people who play the original PVE mode exclusively, I'm almost jealous.  

News Comments > Quake Champions Adding Bots and More Gore
1. Re: Quake Champions Adding Bots and More Gore May 6, 2018, 13:46 jacobvandy

Why would you not want them to be identified as bots? Are they trying to make it seem like more people are playing? Seems to me they're just begging for loads of false cheater reports when standard bot behavior is taken for aim hacks...  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation May 1, 2018, 20:23 jacobvandy

Yeah, as someone who skipped that entire generation of Nintendo games, I'm quite happy with all the re-releases. After Captain Toad is out, there will only be a handful of Wii-U games left that I would have any interest in, and at this point I'd be surprised if they aren't ported over.  

News Comments > The Forest Released; VR Support Next Month
6. Re: The Forest Released; VR Support Next Month Apr 30, 2018, 22:49 jacobvandy

Bought this today and sunk a few hours so far, it's really cool. Very macabre and legitimately scary at times, but the survival aspects are very well done. Making a shelter is important if you want to sleep through the pitch black night, gotta build a fire and keep it fueled for cooking or warding off enemies, and holy shit, the inventory/crafting screen is the coolest one I've ever fucking seen.

I have a camp site now that looks like a real one, not a video game one... You can't hold infinite supplies in a magic backpack, so if you want to hoard stuff you have to construct storage racks for all your sticks, rocks, logs, bones, arrows, etc. Then your cabinet shelving has spaces on it where you physically place small items, you see everything on display and pick out stuff you want from it with no menus involved. Apparently I'm beginning to piss off the natives, so I've been dabbling in the fortifications and traps, too, all very rustic and plausible stuff.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Apr 28, 2018, 14:17 jacobvandy

So.. Are they trying to pull off 'Doomgal,' or does a female lead mean they're going for a different angle on the story? Does it even matter if the movie is not going to be released in theaters?  

News Comments > It Lurks Below Early Access
10. Re: It Lurks Below Early Access Apr 25, 2018, 19:48 jacobvandy

Obviously anyone that abhors the art style need not apply, but as a big fan of Terraria and ARPGs I've been looking forward to this. Terraria has very broad appeal due to its balance of the creative and action/adventure aspects, but it's very light on actual RPG mechanics. Brevik is basically making a Diablo total conversion mod that infuses real classes, character building, randomized loot, etc into that style of game.  

News Comments > Warcraft III Job Listing
6. Re: Warcraft III Job Listing Apr 25, 2018, 14:06 jacobvandy

HoSpanky wrote on Apr 25, 2018, 11:56:
Prez wrote on Apr 25, 2018, 10:47:
A Warcraft 3 remaster is probably as much attention the RTS series is ever going to get from Blizzard sadly. Warcraft 4 will ship when Half-Life 3 does.

The main issue is the storyline, not the genre. WoW is still going, so unless Blizzard wants to RTS-up some of the events in WoW, they'd have to have a completely different set of characters. That...might sell, but it'd probably fly about as well as a Toy Story movie without Woody and Buzz.

Er, you're trying to say people actually care about the story in an RTS game? That's news to me.

News Comments > Valve Acquires Campo Santo
7. Re: Valve Acquires Campo Santo Apr 22, 2018, 16:19 jacobvandy

Wesp5 wrote on Apr 22, 2018, 16:08:
Firewatch was just another walking simulator, I agree. But then look at the original demo of the team that Valve bought to make Portal! At least if they don't want to make some own games (HL3 confirmed!) they keep buying other teams to keep the fake image up that they are still a game developer and not just a game distributor.

Bingo. New folks bring in new ideas, which can then be executed with Valve expertise.

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Apr 22, 2018, 14:16 jacobvandy

Leper wrote on Apr 22, 2018, 13:14:
I don't think Let's Plays should be allowed on these major sites (unless the company specifically allows it). It's like allowing someone to upload a movie to on Youtube and it's ok because they provide some commentary periodically. Gameplay is only one part of a game's value but that's the only part that you miss out on from watching a Let's Play.

I agree, but most devs/pubs encourage it as a form of free advertising. Nintendo is the only company I can think of that actively fights against this sort of thing, and people hate them for it, but it's probably necessary in order to maintain all the same IP rights they have now. Streaming clearly does not fall under fair use, and it makes you wonder if allowing it might set precedent for future changes in related laws that result in companies losing control of their properties.

News Comments > Survarium Graphics Upgrade
3. Re: Survarium Graphics Upgrade Apr 20, 2018, 12:35 jacobvandy

It's probably a more correct way to hold a rifle than the limp-wristed technique most games portray.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 19, 2018, 22:04 jacobvandy

Good for them, but they made the teachers' nightmares a few shades darker... Now instead of just the incessant chatter about it, kids can actually play the game at school.  

News Comments > Serious Sam 4: Planet Badass Revealed
2. Re: Serious Sam 4: Planet Badass Revealed Apr 19, 2018, 11:38 jacobvandy

I hope they learned from the disaster that was 3.  

News Comments > Boss Key Accuses Epic of Poaching
23. Re: Boss Key Accuses Epic of Poaching Apr 17, 2018, 11:46 jacobvandy

Shh, I said y'all so it doesn't sound like I'm addressing a specific person who went so far as to tweet back at Cliffy with a meme about misusing words.  

News Comments > Boss Key Accuses Epic of Poaching
21. Re: Boss Key Accuses Epic of Poaching Apr 17, 2018, 11:09 jacobvandy

Y'all realize it was Blue who chose that word and not Cliff, right? The actual tweet is quoted right there, "stop trying to hire away my team."  

3952 Comments. 198 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo