Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 3333 (Veteran)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Just Cause 3: MECH LAND ASSAULT Early Launch
3. Re: Just Cause 3: MECH LAND ASSAULT Early Launch Jun 3, 2016, 14:26 jacobvandy

maddog wrote on Jun 3, 2016, 12:04:
When did this game become a sci-fi shooter? Those guns and mechs and all are cool but don't fit the setting.

Now if they added an alien invasion ala Independence Day, that would be kinda cool. As it is, I haven't played this game in months and this will probably not entice me to do so.

It became pretty sci-fi about half-way through the main game's story, lol. The whole thing revolves around controlling the supply of Bavarium, a magical mystery mineral native to the islands. It's refined and used in energy production and weapons more potent than nuclear, and for a couple of vehicles it generates a force field. So the DLCs are just continuing that trend into the setting's near future.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games
27. Re: Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games Jun 1, 2016, 20:21 jacobvandy

Strango wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 17:53:
Creston wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 17:33:
So I'm guessing this requires you to log into their server with your Steam credentials...?
No, you login to Steam's Web API which then grants permission to GOG a list of your owned titles.

To add to this, it requires you have your Steam profile set to public, so they're not getting any information that isn't displayed for everyone to see. The only reason to have you link accounts is so they can verify you really are the owner of both.

News Comments > Evening Previews
2. Re: Evening Previews May 31, 2016, 23:08 jacobvandy

Not much of a preview... Anything not revealed years ago amounts to little more than them paraphrasing a couple lines from someone else's month-old interview. I learned more about how shitty that site is than I did the game.  

News Comments > Minecraft Advertising Crackdown
3. Re: Minecraft Advertising Crackdown May 31, 2016, 23:02 jacobvandy

Tavil wrote on May 31, 2016, 22:25:
How would they enforce this? Do they monitor every minecraft server?

Doubtful, but I'm sure MS is eager to put a couple of employees on the task of investigating any reports of it they get. God forbid anyone uses their product for self-promotion without paying for the privilege! We all know Mojang doesn't give a single fuck, which is why they never did anything like this before.

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Expansion Next Week
2. Re: Just Cause 3 Expansion Next Week May 31, 2016, 13:48 jacobvandy

Meh, the only bug I can recall (more of an oversight, really) is that those bases with the annoying superweapons still use their superweapons on you after you capture them. You have to reach certain points in the story in order to disable them... I guess they didn't anticipate people like me going free-roam crazy, which is odd.

Definitely never had a car I was using disappear.

News Comments > PAYDAY 3 Confirmed; PAYDAY 2 Microtransactions End
5. Re: PAYDAY 3 Confirmed; PAYDAY 2 Microtransactions End May 31, 2016, 13:41 jacobvandy

Yeah, it may be a convenient excuse for them now (that their publisher overlords mandated the monetization), but it doesn't change the fact that they eagerly complied. They're not winning back any respect so easily.  

News Comments > The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Patch
9. Re: The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Patch May 30, 2016, 18:07 jacobvandy

Lord Tea wrote on May 30, 2016, 17:33:
CJ_Parker wrote on May 30, 2016, 15:04:
I'm gonna buy a GTX 1080 later this year to enjoy the best possible experience the fully enhanced and patched up GOTY/EE version has to offer by then.

You might want to wait until AMD releases its new high end cards later this year.

Here is why: HardOCP's 1070 review... which tells me that DX12 still isn't properly supported on NV's latest (and very expensive) hardware. I was surprised to see HardOCP, a site that is traditionally biased towards NV clearly showing this AMD advantage. Besides, once new AMD hardware is released prices will drop. Just my 5c.

I wouldn't rush into making purchase decisions based on one game, especially when the margin is pretty small (~10%). There have always been games around that perform better on AMD hardware such as the DiRT series, but that doesn't mean every other game will perform similarly to that AMD-sponsored title. If you're trying to be objective, wait for more DX12 benchmarks.

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Turning One
2. Re: Heroes of the Storm Turning One May 27, 2016, 21:08 jacobvandy

thecakeisalie wrote on May 27, 2016, 20:48:
And how many people play this compared to LoL, DOTA2 and SMITE? Most people were chased away by their horribad MMR system and matchmaking algorithms. No doubt it's still making them money, but it's damaged goods. I doubt they'll be able to repair the brand enough to steal enough players away from the big 3 to be a serious contender.

The people I know who play this do so because it's different than the standard MOBAs you named. So maybe they don't have to steal players away, just keep doing a decent job of bringing new ones in to the genre. And if they're making money, I don't necessarily think they care to be a "contender" as you put it, anyway.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse May 26, 2016, 12:49 jacobvandy

I was disappointed in the article's definition of "celeb."  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 25, 2016, 13:21 jacobvandy

sauron wrote on May 25, 2016, 12:52:
Also, as the article mentions, is it really worth upgrading if it just allows you to play your favorite game at 200fps instead of 90fps?

I don't see any reason to switch for anyone who is not heavily into VR and/or 4K gaming.

Er, I don't think there are that many people contemplating the 90fps vs. 200fps dilemma... There's plenty of real benefit to be had if you don't already have a Titan X or 980 Ti.

News Comments > Rocket League Adds PC/Xbox One Cross-Platform Play
2. Re: Rocket League Adds PC/Xbox One Cross-Platform Play May 25, 2016, 13:16 jacobvandy

More console peasants to destroy!  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2016, 14:49 jacobvandy

WaltC wrote on May 24, 2016, 12:16:
I'm nearsighted, myself--but find I don't need correction @ 1-2 feet from a nice big monitor...;) Interesting remarks about VR--it's maybe that the VR lenses are *too close* to the eye for even near-sightedness to correct and so you need correction there, too.

I may or may not have commented on this here before, but I found the same to be true even with NVIDIA's 3D Vision. There's no maybe about it, the whole basis of the 3D effect is that it creates the illusion of depth for your eyes to perceive as they would walking around the real world. No longer are they focused at a fixed point 1-2 feet away as with normal monitor viewing, they are focusing at various points beyond where the screens physically are in relation to your face.

So the downside is that, if you need glasses IRL, you also need them for VR. But the upside is that kids growing up with VR tech now won't be messing up their eyes like we did staring at screens a few feet away all day.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation May 23, 2016, 13:50 jacobvandy

People are voltage-modding these things, too... 10% is just what you can expect by taking the laziest, safest route possible.  

News Comments > Two Techland Projects Revealed
4. Re: Two Techland Projects Revealed May 20, 2016, 13:31 jacobvandy

Gadzooks wrote on May 20, 2016, 12:09:
Wait... what about Hellraid?

http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/226920/

I was hoping that would be their next game. Doh.

Hopefully this open-world fantasy game will be the result of that experiment. I would've loved to have played it, too, but IIRC they said a while ago that the overwhelmingly positive response to the concept inspired them to make something more substantial out of it. Would make sense for them to change the name if it's no longer just a simple procedural dungeon delver.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. May 19, 2016, 15:05 jacobvandy

NegaDeath wrote on May 19, 2016, 13:47:
Rare to see a dev admit it was forced out the door to meet a release date, especially this soon after release with a bunch of dlc still in the pipeline. But hey it totally won't happen again next year, scouts honor. PS please preorder.

Leave it to a film reporter to fail to grasp the difference between developer and publisher... The statement came from an EA suit during their investor briefing. Seems he was challenged on the game's average (or poor, from users) Metacritic rating and the deadline excuse was convenient for him at that point.

You know nobody at DICE would dare comment on such things.

News Comments > The Division Free Update Details
6. Re: The Division Free Update Details May 18, 2016, 04:32 jacobvandy

At this point I'm mostly waiting to see if they put out some decent add-on PVE content... Not just raids, but like more map area and story missions. I really didn't care much for the OWPVP in this game even before it went completely to shit.  

News Comments > NVIDIA GTX 1080 Review Roundup
26. Re: NVIDIA GTX 1080 Review Roundup May 17, 2016, 14:12 jacobvandy

Slick wrote on May 17, 2016, 12:26:
hmmm?

Interesting, I'd never even heard of this... Maybe they changed it by the time I bought mine in November '14 (ACX 2.0), but I've never had an issue with the cooling. Even at stock settings where it doesn't turn on the fan at all under most circumstances, it maxes out around 70C, but you can tweak the automatic curve to lower that to 50C if you don't mind a little extra noise. EVGA claims the design was intentional, and obviously they had to pass QA with NVIDIA so it was good enough regardless. People love to bitch, though.

News Comments > Steam Top Seven
2. Re: Steam Top Seven May 15, 2016, 13:18 jacobvandy

It probably happens when they have a pre-order deal going on, like with DOOM giving you a Wolfenstein game, too.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. May 14, 2016, 03:23 jacobvandy

That's pretty common when you skip a game's intro video(s)... They're covering up that loading time when they play.  

News Comments > Dead Island Retro Revenge Announced
1. Re: Dead Island Retro Revenge Announced May 9, 2016, 20:50 jacobvandy

Lol, that can't actually be Jack Black, right? Sounds a lot like him...  

3333 Comments. 167 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo