Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 4366 (Master)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Free Content Next Week
2. Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Free Content Next Week Jul 19, 2018, 23:28 jacobvandy

There are some real serious dudes out there who still cling to the idea that Ghost Recon is a hardcore sim shooter. It's not anymore, if it ever was, but I suppose there's no harm in Ubisoft indulging them a bit. I've been playing this a lot lately, so I'm deep into the "end game" grind called Tier One mode that pretty quickly forces you into the highest difficulty... You gotta be fucked in the head to wish for permadeath on top of how crazy aware, accurate, and deadly the enemies are then, lol.

That "real reloading" thing is just plain dumb, though. If I'm really reloading a gun with a partial mag, I'm not just throwing that away. Basically a really lazy solution when you don't feel like programming it to keep track of a number of magazines and how many rounds are in each one. I believe they used to do that in Killing Floor.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of War Demo
10. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Demo Jul 19, 2018, 19:14 jacobvandy

Beamer wrote on Jul 19, 2018, 16:00:
Xero wrote on Jul 19, 2018, 14:46:
I'll probably give this demo a shot but I'm not expecting much. I got bored of the first after a lot of repetition. I hear this is more of the same with improvements.

I just hated the world of the first. Hated.
It's weird, I loved the Batman games, and everyone said these are similar. I think the issue for me is I never felt as godlike as Batman, but also never felt as safe as Batman is in the shadows or the rooftops. I felt like I had to constantly be on guard and couldn't gleefully head from Point A to Point B.

It's also possible I only played like 3 hours, so missed a lot, and it was a while ago, so I may be misrememering.

You're way more powerful in the sequel. Aside from the upgrades that make you almost too strong in melee (like your spirit elf auto-blocking attacks while you're busy draining or executing someone), there's way more emphasis on mounted combat. Riding a warg is easy mode against anything but major bosses or captains with a specific anti-mount trait, and then you're basically invincible while controlling a rancor graug or goddamned fire-breathing dragon. You also eventually unlock such ridiculous powers as being able to teleport 100 meters for a stealth takedown, so you don't even need to snipe people and can save your bow ammo for point-blank one-shotting charging orcs in endless bullet time.

News Comments > Original Crysis Multiplayer Support Ending
13. Re: Original Crysis Multiplayer Support Ending Jul 18, 2018, 23:26 jacobvandy

Crysis Wars! Came out with the expansion to the first game, and yeah it was pretty fun for a while. Nobody played it, though, because that was the height of the Call of Duty craze, and then the last good Battlefield game was out not long thereafter... Crysis MP just didn't catch on with that competition.  

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jul 18, 2018, 19:13 jacobvandy

The Amazing Spider-Man was a multiplatform series lol, there's a PC version! Seems silly to promote an emulator with that one.  

News Comments > Clicker Heroes 2 Early Access
3. Re: Clicker Heroes 2 Early Access Jul 18, 2018, 08:25 jacobvandy

They're flipping the business model completely, so it's $30 one-time with no microtransactions. Here's what I found on that:

“We made a lot of money from these players who spent thousands. They are known to the industry as “Whales”. Great. If you’re rich, please be my guest. But we don’t want this kind of money if it came from anyone who regrets their decision, if it made their lives significantly worse as a result. Unfortunately, those who have a problem are usually in denial about it, and would be too ashamed to ask us for a refund. We would give the refund in a heartbeat. It’s not like we have artists drawing each ruby by hand. It costs us nothing but payment processing fees.

“We really don’t like making money off players who are in denial of their addiction. And that’s what a large part of free-to-play gaming is all about. Everyone in the industry seems to rationalize it by shifting the blame, assuming way too much cognizance on the part of their victims. People can make their own decisions, right? But it just doesn’t sit well with me. Despite very few of our players having complained, it felt wrong when we started doing it and it still feels wrong now.”

Apparently they have an open and unlimited refund policy for the microtransactions in the first game, which is pretty cool.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 14, 2018, 03:12 jacobvandy

Well that's part of the issue at hand, isn't it? Those growing up in the internet age generally do not value or even really consider privacy the way people used to.

Many would consider an obscure subreddit or forum or even a personal Facebook/Instagram/Twitter feed to be "private," despite the fact that everything is recorded and technically able to be viewed by anyone at any time. And that's where these kids now are casually using the n-word as a term of endearment and saying something's gay when they mean dumb or uncool, etc., when previously that would be more isolated to a corner of the schoolyard or friend's house or wherever you'd gather in person.

I guarantee the same false feeling of isolation applies to these streamers until one day they become popular enough that people outside of their clique start to take notice and get offended by something they did or said because they don't feel like they're in public.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 13, 2018, 17:43 jacobvandy

I think every game on Switch that has some kind of cursor should use the gyro. It's so much better than traditional dual stick aiming on consoles. Not quite as precise as a mouse because you still need to use the stick for larger movements, but once you get used to that it's close. Really wish Minecraft supported it...  

News Comments > Steam Upcoming Tab Improved
4. Re: Steam Upcoming Tab Improved Jul 12, 2018, 22:28 jacobvandy

I think it took a couple extra clicks after the update, but this is what it I'm talking about: https://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Price_DESC&os=win&filter=comingsoon

It doesn't show games that are so far off they still don't have prices attached, but the next few months of major releases is pretty clear at a glance. Don't scroll down too far... I know there are good cheap games, but I'll find out about them other ways than trying to sort through that mess.

News Comments > Steam Upcoming Tab Improved
1. Re: Steam Upcoming Tab Improved Jul 12, 2018, 20:41 jacobvandy

I just sort by highest price when looking through upcoming releases, 'cause that's the easiest way to filter out most of the garbage...  

News Comments > Overwatch League on ESPN
12. Re: Overwatch League on ESPN Jul 12, 2018, 18:54 jacobvandy

Oh, I see, so you're an early adopter of hardwiring your brain directly to the computer... The rest of us plebes are still using our physical limbs to interact with the keyboard and mouse.  

News Comments > Fortnite 5.0 Kicks Off Season 5
13. Re: Fortnite 5.0 Kicks Off Season 5 Jul 12, 2018, 17:56 jacobvandy

The PVE game as it is now is approaching its first anniversary, so anything older than that is really not representative of what it's like. I've been playing pretty regularly since I picked it up during the December sale and it was fun enough to hook me then, but even in those 7-ish months there have been several massive changes for the better. They range from basic gameplay things like sprinting no longer consuming the same energy pool you use for abilities to multiple additions in how you can obtain items without having to open loot boxes.

Along with the aforementioned freebies and shop with specific items bought with currency earned through gameplay, they recently enabled you to unlock almost anything you want directly if you have enough account-bound resources, including the ultra-rare hero classes. To give an idea of how valuable that is to the player, it really pissed off some individuals who had previously spent $100(0)+ on loot boxes trying to obtain one of these mythic heroes... If you ask me, that's a sure sign of a great update in a [soon-to-be] F2P game.

News Comments > Defiance 2050 Launches
3. Re: Defiance 2050 Launches Jul 11, 2018, 00:14 jacobvandy

Jivaro wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 23:58:
"new consoles"

The Xbone and the PS4 launched 5 years ago and the PS5 is in the nearish future.

This game first launched in early 2013.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 10, 2018, 16:44 jacobvandy

I bet the paparazzi are really excited about that.  

News Comments > PC Monster Hunter: World Next Month
11. Re: PC Monster Hunter: World Next Month Jul 10, 2018, 03:25 jacobvandy

MattyC wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 02:38:
JeffD wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 22:19:
Have fun going against battle for azeroth, capcom.

Not even close to in the know on this series (played a bit of the PS2 version, but that is all), but I didn't think any of the US versions were ever close to or ever suppose to be close to MMOish? I know they have had MMO like titles, but I was under the impression that those were all Japan only.

I think he refers to them releasing less than a week apart. However, I'm not sure that matters so much anymore.

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Jul 9, 2018, 21:14 jacobvandy

"Annoyed by people telling you how to do your job."

Yeah, that's virtually everyone who's ever worked in their life... the difference is that most people are actually merely annoyed and maybe joke about it with co-workers, they aren't legitimately offended and launching into public arguments with customers. Unless they're a bad employee. You've gotta have an even thicker skin if you're doing something creative and are SEEKING feedback from those you're doing it for.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2018, 16:14 jacobvandy

That's funny, my wife liked Infinity War *because* of the ending. She's the type who gets annoyed by typical Hollywood films, and so enjoys it more when everybody dies, like what happened in Rogue One. She was less enthused when I told her there's a part two coming.  

News Comments > Destiny 2 Free Weekend Underway
18. Re: Destiny 2 Free Weekend Underway Jul 7, 2018, 23:38 jacobvandy

Yeah, there's a discount on the "expansion pass," which apparently is just a bundle of those two already-released ones? Because it does not include the third expansion coming out in a couple months. For some reason, that one requires that you own the other expansions in order to buy and play it...

So if you're like me and still only own the base game, you can buy the "expansion pass" for $19.99 (currently discounted from $34.99). But if you're interested in the upcoming expansion that they're saying is supposed to be the best one, you HAVE to buy the "expansion pass" to be eligible to buy the third expansion for another $39.99 (that's about how much I paid for the base game!). THEN if you want any further content beyond that, you've gotta buy the new "annual pass" that includes three releases of "premium content" throughout the next calendar year for another $34.99.

That seems excessive to me.

News Comments > Monster Hunter: World PC Date and Specs Monday
9. Re: Monster Hunter: World PC Date and Specs Monday Jul 7, 2018, 17:33 jacobvandy

Cutter wrote on Jul 7, 2018, 16:54:
Vast minority? 8 million sales versus 7 billion people on the planet. You need to redo the math.

Math begins with correctly identifying the numbers you're doing the math to. Rolleyes

News Comments > Monster Hunter: World PC Date and Specs Monday
5. Re: Monster Hunter: World PC Date and Specs Monday Jul 7, 2018, 16:22 jacobvandy

Different strokes for different folks, of course, but all indications are that the people who think this game sucks are in the vast minority. It's the as yet uncontested biggest release of the year; the average review is 90/100, it became Capcom's best-selling game of all time almost immediately (5m sold at launch, 8m within 3 months), and probably's the biggest multiplatform console-seller since GTA 5.  

News Comments > New Steam Sales Estimate Method Shut Down
10. Re: New Steam Sales Estimate Method Shut Down Jul 6, 2018, 20:54 jacobvandy

I don't claim to know exactly how the Steam achievement system works -- I saw them mention in the article that it's "players" and not "owners" -- but still, I'm talking about Fallout 4 specifically. I've seen loads of people asking on Steam forums and elsewhere about why achievements aren't unlocking for them... These are clearly people who do play the game, often times they play a lot of it, and they're reporting problems which are likely caused by mechanisms in the game itself.

It could be random bugginess, but we know for sure that the use of console commands and/or certain mods can disable achievements. That's just a fact, it applies to many more games than FO4, and it definitely would impact the accuracy of any such "market research" derived from achievement data. Whether or not people who own the game but never played it are included is a totally separate issue.

4366 Comments. 219 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo