Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 4422 (Master)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > MS Acquires Obsidian and inXile
4. Re: MS Acquires Obsidian and inXile Nov 11, 2018, 13:56 jacobvandy

I will be very surprised if anything good comes out of this. But even then I won't be playing it because it'll be Xbox Store exclusive... We'll probably be lucky to see anything they've been working on leading up to this come out okay, like Wasteland 3.

P.S. I think inXile should have to change their name now.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Artifact Tournament and Pre-Purchases Begin
13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 11, 2018, 13:19 jacobvandy

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Nov 11, 2018, 01:36:
any interest I had in this instantly went out the window when I saw it is just a vehicle to sell $1.99 virtual card packs.

Hard fucking pass.

The card packs are peanuts compared to collectors exchanging individual cards for up to hundreds or thousands of dollars for the rarest ones, which I'm sure will happen. Valve will get 15% of every one of those transactions.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 10, 2018, 01:54 jacobvandy

More like those who are impacted by game developers finally ditching support for 32-bit operating systems. The Wii was the last home console that did not support HD resolution, so anyone watching Netflix on it in 2018 is still enduring black bars or cropping off 1/3 of the picture for most content... That's a completely different era they're clinging to.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 9, 2018, 16:02 jacobvandy

Oh, they're all coming out of the woodwork, now. I saw that story on Reddit and there were a bunch of comments from people who can't believe they're gonna be forced to find some other way to watch Netflix, or that after 10+ years they might as well throw their Wii away now since that's all they were using it for... Basically the type of people who were upset when CDs and DVDs replaced cassette tapes and VHS.  

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Nov 9, 2018, 13:12 jacobvandy

ldonyo wrote on Nov 9, 2018, 11:25:
Said "major sports title" probably gained more than $21 million in sales for not having Denuvo fucking up the game.

So you're saying there are more conspiracy nuts stalwart protesters of this DRM than there are people willing to pirate it? I don't believe that for a second.

News Comments > DayZ Reaches Beta
7. Re: DayZ Reaches Beta Nov 8, 2018, 11:56 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on Nov 8, 2018, 11:34:
What's the viability of this genre over, say, the BR genre?

BR spawned from this, the online survival game. All that does is condense the gameplay loop and guarantee you'll see some action in an hour or less no matter how many times you die, making it much more casual-friendly. DayZ kicked it off and there have been dozens of other games that followed in those footsteps, some of which have been very successful. It's so mainstream now that one of the top 5 publishers is about to invest a billion-dollar IP into it... I think the online survival sandbox will persist long after the battle royale fad has run its course.

News Comments > Fallout 76 Roadmap
15. Re: Fallout 76 Roadmap Nov 8, 2018, 09:43 jacobvandy

Avus wrote on Nov 8, 2018, 09:30:
I hate games like Rust and this game remain me of Rust (with some kind of PvP protection)

To be fair, it looks like this game will have about 10000% more actual content other than fighting fellow players. There is virtually nothing for you to do in Rust if you were to play it by yourself, whereas FO76 has quests and various monsters roaming around, etc.

News Comments > Take-Two Financials
3. Re: Take-Two Financials Nov 7, 2018, 22:15 jacobvandy

I rolled credits on RDR2 last night... so good. I kinda wanna go back and replay the first one again, but I'm not sure how it will hold up. I've started Horizon Zero Dawn this evening and even that pales a bit in comparison, technically.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 7, 2018, 16:32 jacobvandy

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 7, 2018, 14:35:
Yeah, I get that occasionally, not very often though. I've never received a call with a message which didn't have a voice to text conversion in the email with it. So, now if there is no text I assume it is a blank message and just delete the email.

Ah, then I misunderstood. I thought you had a way to stop those blank message emails from showing up at all.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 7, 2018, 13:45 jacobvandy

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 7, 2018, 12:11:
I have it setup so if someone actually leaves a message, it gets forwarded to my email.

Is that part of the paid option, or is there some way to set a filter for it yourself? I use Google for voicemail and I get annoyed that at least half of my emails saying someone left a message are just blank and the recording itself is 2-3 seconds of nothing...

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
4. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Nov 5, 2018, 11:21 jacobvandy

Orogogus wrote on Nov 5, 2018, 10:54:
I don't think it's physical only -- I'm inclined to doubt that the World of Warcraft expansion could punch as high as it does solely on physical sales -- but I'm pretty sure they don't have Steam's data.

It's retail only, they say so on their site.

News Comments > More Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Hints
38. Re: More Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Hints Oct 29, 2018, 15:21 jacobvandy

When carrying two long-arms, holding one in your hand while it's "holstered" is just for aesthetics, you sling it back over your shoulder after a while or when you perform some other action with your hands. What you need to check is whether you have the crosshair dot showing; if it is, you're in combat mode and the left trigger will aim instead of focus on a person for talking. You can still talk with a gun in your hand as long as it isn't readied (no crosshair).  

35. Re: RDR2... Oct 29, 2018, 13:41 jacobvandy

Creston wrote on Oct 29, 2018, 12:39:
(A lot of stuff.)

Lol, I'll try to make this quick:

- Dunno why you're picking flowers if you don't like drudgery, but don't try to stand right on top of them, press the button approaching from a few feet away. You can carry a limited amount of each type of flower or herb, yes, and they want you to collect pelts to upgrade your satchel capacity, but you don't even really need to use them unless you're desperate, caught out in the wilderness with no other food or tonics.

- You don't have to pay for a bath, go jump in a river. That works for your horse, too, just run in knee-deep water (though it's not a big deal if their health/stamina degrade faster, common horse foods will restore it instantly). Even if you do bathe, I'm pretty sure scrubbing is just there for roleplaying, along with the deluxe service where you chat up a bathmaid but still get no happy ending.

- It's one carcass or LARGE pelt on your horse at a time. I've not discovered the limit to medium pelts you can drape over your horse's butt (usually head back after 5-6). Birds and small critters can be attached on both sides (I just skin/pluck those), and tiny varmints go right into your bag, whole.

- Don't have your gun out if you don't mean to use it. Just having it drawn will piss off some people, including the law. Same for having your bandana/mask on.

- I accidentally stock-bashed the Mexican between rounds of target shooting, don't feel bad.

- Use the ledger next to the donation box in camp to purchase upgrades (including leatherworking tools for Pearson to craft stuff) and additional supplies. It comes out of camp funds first, but you can also pay out of your own pocket. Those red icons indicate that you have nothing yet, and later will indicate when tangible items you can take from there are running low.

- White dots on the radar show up when there's a random scripted encounter, if not the question mark quest icon for side quests from strangers. Press down on the d-pad to make the compass temporarily bigger to see them from farther away.

- You have ample warning and eye markers for when a crime has been witnessed (dead bodies are reported, too). I know it seems to happen quickly when you're not paying attention, but you do have the chance to stop those witnesses from bringing the heat, unless you were just unlucky and lawmen happened to be close nearby. Persuade them or just shoot them in the back. Get out of a red circle ASAP and don't engage the cops if you want to avoid the added bounty.

- Manage your outfits and what clothing is stashed on your horse from your trunk in camp.

- Predators will be predators, they like to hide and ambush. More often you can hear them before you see them, or if you're looking for them you can use bait. I'm strangely proud of how many different animal noises I'm learning from this game, lol. I can tell the difference between the call of a deer or an elk now!

32. Re: More Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Hints Oct 29, 2018, 12:47 jacobvandy

VaranDragon wrote on Oct 29, 2018, 09:36:
Freeroam third person shooter in a Western setting? Hell yeah! It's just that from what I've seen of the game it's all kind of meh, really great riding mechanics aren't enough if the gameplay doesn't look exciting and it's basically just a mediocre interactive movie. Hell, even if it was an awesome interactive movie I would probably be down for it.

It's only an interactive movie if you have zero imagination or curiosity. Like with last year's open-world Zelda game, the people who go straight for the quest markers on their map and beat it really fast are the ones who have completely missed the point. These are sandbox/simulation games, a majority of the content is stuff you have to go and seek out. There are plenty of other games out there which leave nothing for you to figure out yourself, just constantly hand-feeding you a string of objectives so you are never left not knowing what you should do next... Lots of people like that, they get bored or frustrated otherwise, but I prefer being cut loose to do what I want.

26. Re: More Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Hints Oct 28, 2018, 23:42 jacobvandy

Meh, if you don't think riding a horse around the countryside is fun, don't buy a game set in the old west... I very much do, and that's even without the crazy maneuvers you unlock once you've bonded with the animal. I'm also enjoying the fact that they don't dumb down the controls for it, either. If you hit a tree or large rock at a gallop, you're not gonna just glance off to one side, you'll be dismounted and both you and your horse are gonna be hurt real bad. You might even be ejected like with some of the worse GTA motor wrecks.  

6. Re: More Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Hints Oct 28, 2018, 15:39 jacobvandy

VaranDragon wrote on Oct 28, 2018, 14:14:
*yawn*

From what I've seen of the game (saw a few streamers play it) the game doesn't hit any of my "must play" buttons.

Admiteddly they weren't very far in, but the writing and dialogue wasn't that awesome and the player's character is far from a cool & mysterious gunslinger type that would draw me into the story.

The gameplay itself looked kind of meh.

If the character seems uninteresting, it's because they have implemented a good ol' alignment meter. Just about everything you do gives you the choice of being a "good guy" bandit or an uncaring asshole bandit, even down to passing conversations (do you say "good day ma'am" or some variation of "fuck off"). I haven't played enough to tell if being far along to one side of the meter actually changes the story or how his dialogue goes therein, aside from when they give you an explicit choice, but generally so far it seems they've made him somewhat neutral to account for that.

News Comments > Get Metro 2033 Free on Steam
7. Re: Get Metro 2033 Free on Steam Oct 25, 2018, 23:16 jacobvandy

Ozmodan wrote on Oct 25, 2018, 22:43:
Really disliked this game. Constantly dying because of lack of breathers is NOT fun at all. Could have been a decent game without that nonsense.

There are filters everywhere, you're simply not looting enough. It shouldn't even be a concern unless you're playing with the hardcore survival mode enabled, which drastically lowers the amount of time you get out of each one. Then you really have to keep moving while still thoroughly searching as you go.

News Comments > HELLGATE: London Returning (Again) Next Month
30. Re: HELLGATE: London Returning (Again) Next Month Oct 24, 2018, 18:50 jacobvandy

I only played the original by myself anyway, so.. Bring it on!  

News Comments > Fallout 76 Beta Promises "Spectacular Issues"
3. Re: Fallout 76 Beta Promises Oct 22, 2018, 21:28 jacobvandy

Creston wrote on Oct 22, 2018, 21:07:
Also, it has Battle Royale. Jesus Christ.

Clickbait article.. From the description Bethesda provides, it doesn't sound like BR at all. 4 or more players queue into an impromptu PVP match to hunt each other down within the time limit, and killing the person you've been assigned will then give you their target to go after next. So they borrow the concept of shrinking boundaries to force you into conflict if you're taking too long, but is that really all we're using to define the genre these days? It doesn't say anything about starting with nothing and needing to quickly scavenge your gear along the way (leaving one with the presumption that you bring whatever you have gathered previously, during normal survival gameplay), and such a small number of participants does hardly a battle royale make.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 19, 2018, 21:09 jacobvandy

Gigabit with a 1TB cap, huh... So if you actually use that speed for anything, you'll hit your limit in a few hours. Then, BAM, Comcast showers you in fees.  

4422 Comments. 222 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo