Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 3354 (Veteran)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Bonus Weekend
9. Re: Diablo III Bonus Weekend Sep 24, 2015, 13:19 jacobvandy

Rhialto wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 12:33:
Nothing for me then... I would have prefered the cow portal.

Cow portals aren't anything special, but regardless, you can open one yourself at any time by placing a Bovine Bardiche (legendary polearm) into the Cube. Similarly, you can open a portal to the Vault with a Puzzle Ring.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Video Game Voice Actors Consider Striking
52. Re: Video Game Voice Actors Consider Striking Sep 24, 2015, 01:54 jacobvandy

Did anyone else actually check their web site? They're not talking about getting percentage points of all sales forever...

Weíre asking for a reasonable performance bonus for every 2 million copies, or downloads sold, or 2 million unique subscribers to online-only games, with a cap at 8 million units/ subscribers. That shakes out, potentially, to FOUR bonus payments for the most successful games: 2 million, 4 million, 6 million and 8 million copies.

Itís a simple approach to secondary payments, and itíll net you up to four extra union scale payments for your performance (currently $3300.00).

So you get $3300 for doing the work right now, at least if you're a regular Joe not negotiating your own contracts. If it sells 2 million you get another $3300, etc., up to a total of $16500 if the game sells more than 8 million copies. That's hardly outrageous. They're not insisting every voice actor contributing to a game gets 0.5% of all profits or something...

News Comments > Fallout 4 Endurance Video
5. Re: Fallout 4 Endurance Video Sep 23, 2015, 23:33 jacobvandy

I'm very much looking forward to the game, regardless, but it's gonna be even sweeter re-selling my Pipboy Edition this holiday season for enough to pay for the game several times over.  

News Comments > Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee Free on Steam
3. Re: Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee Free on Steam Sep 23, 2015, 21:35 jacobvandy

I believe the first game they gave away for free on Steam might have been Portal, almost exactly 4 years ago. They don't do it as often as Origin, but this is hardly a reaction, the On the House thing started May 2014.  

News Comments > MS Kills Safedisc DRM in Win 7 & 8
25. Re: MS Kills Safedisc DRM in Win 7 & 8 Sep 23, 2015, 16:14 jacobvandy

Creston wrote on Sep 23, 2015, 15:45:
jacobvandy wrote on Sep 23, 2015, 15:36:
take your grievances to the publisher who effectively planned the obsolescence of your physical copy in the first place.

So... Microsoft?

If that's your particular case, then sure... They're only one out of dozens, though. My point is that you can't expect them as an OS provider charged with the security of a user-base orders of magnitude larger than those who are gamers (a group which itself is orders of magnitude larger than those who still use old SafeDisc-protected CDs or DVDs) to make decisions that cater to the smallest segment of their customers. Especially when that decision puts the other 99.9% of customers at risk. Why would you want them to continue supporting what is essentially malware? Be happy they came to their senses about it.

News Comments > MS Kills Safedisc DRM in Win 7 & 8
20. Re: MS Kills Safedisc DRM in Win 7 & 8 Sep 23, 2015, 15:36 jacobvandy

Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 23, 2015, 14:14:
Orogogus wrote on Sep 23, 2015, 13:51:
And in any case the hoops you have to jump through seem extremely easy, especially compared to something like rolling back a video driver.

Why should someone who legally purchased a game have to jump through hoops at all, regardless of how easy they may seem?

Because when you legally purchased that game, you legally consented to it being shackled by that piece of shit DRM software that you should have known would eventually become obsolete. This isn't Microsoft's arbitrary decision to give the axe to SafeDisc, it's been abandoned to the point of becoming an exploitable security risk. SafeDisc hasn't been updated in NINE YEARS, and MS already patched a vulnerability with that final version on Windows XP back then.

It's been so long since it's been used by games that it's pretty safe for them to finally just stop supporting it. I'm honestly surprised they stopped at simply disabling the service, rather than completely expunging it from all systems, which would be a far more prudent move. Microsoft did you a favor leaving you a very simple work-around that you can use at your own risk; take your grievances to the publisher who effectively planned the obsolescence of your physical copy in the first place.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
5. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Sep 23, 2015, 01:42 jacobvandy

Crazed, corrupted people running at you make it look like a sci-fi Dead Island.  

News Comments > Fallout 4 Dogmeat Trailers
3. Re: Fallout 4 Dogmeat Trailers Sep 21, 2015, 20:11 jacobvandy

Skyrim companions can die, the "kneel and heal" mechanic is just an extra layer of protection that most other mortal NPCs don't have. It relies on them losing aggro, but they can still take collateral damage... You must not play archer if you've never accidentally finished them off when they're near death.  

News Comments > Rocket League Revenge of the Battle-Cars DLC Announced
5. Re: Rocket League Revenge of the Battle-Cars DLC Announced Sep 18, 2015, 20:01 jacobvandy

These guys did create the vehicles for UT2k4, so that mod wouldn't exist without their work to build on in the first place. :p  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
38. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2015, 03:16 jacobvandy

InBlack wrote on Sep 18, 2015, 02:38:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 17, 2015, 20:02:
BobBob wrote on Sep 17, 2015, 19:06:
Great discussion everyone! This forum is a nice relief from my normal, day to day, encounters with human stupidity. Based on what everyone is saying, it makes me wonder if I should eat meat, or at least poultry, as part of a more balanced approach, instead of going to an extreme. Thumbsup

As long as you're eating dairy regularly and have a well-balanced diet otherwise, you should be fine without resorting to meat. You'll get plenty or B-12. It's really the vegans that have to be careful.

What about protein?

Whole grain (or better yet multi-grain) breads and pastas, milk, yogurt, nuts and beans, sunflower seeds on your salad... I eat meat every day, but it is super easy to get a lot of protein even without it. With a hearty bread, you can get like 25-30g protein just from a peanut butter sandwich and glass of milk. Which is a light breakfast or a snack to me.

News Comments > UE4 Infiltrator Demo
5. Re: UE4 Infiltrator Demo Sep 17, 2015, 22:39 jacobvandy

Sempai wrote on Sep 17, 2015, 22:33:
Do you know what would be nice? The actual hardware list this is running on. How bout frame rates? Resolution? What exactly is enabled? How about any numbers/data whatsoever?..

Oh that's right, we're all dummies out here on the internet..

Hey! Super shiny, glittery, awesome video, guys! THX! Derp.. Dunce

The video was two years ago, now they've released the code so that anyone can run it... Try it for yourself and answer all your own questions.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 17, 2015, 22:33 jacobvandy

It may not even originate there, but areas of high population density like that would make it blow up, yeah. Hooray for oceans!  

News Comments > DARK SOULS III in April
8. Re: DARK SOULS III in April Sep 17, 2015, 16:42 jacobvandy

It's an action RPG, you play it because you like the combat. A really good atmosphere with hints of lore that build this image of the world you're in is WAY better than a having a shitty soap opera crowbarred in, IMO.  

News Comments > Star Wars: Battlefront to Feature Speeder Races
10. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront to Feature Speeder Races Sep 16, 2015, 23:26 jacobvandy

Guys, GUYS, speeder bike racing is not podracing. Come on, now.  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 16, 2015, 16:36 jacobvandy

There is no one size fits all cure for cancer, cancers themselves are not discrete conditions that always present the same way even in the same tissues. All the links here do is offer information on treatments that have shown promise outside of the "nuke it from orbit" mainstream philosophy of radiation and caustic chemicals that hasn't been improved upon for nearly a fuckin' century. Why is that, though?

I don't blame you for attacking the messenger(s) because you refuse to even attempt to comprehend the implications of the message. It's a lot to take in, to open your mind and re-consider what you have thus far taken for granted and believed to be simple truths. Shaking the foundation of your world view is harder to endure the older you are, especially when it turns out there's not much you can do about it once you finally do see the forest for the trees... Ignorance is bliss, might as well hold on to it while you can.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 16, 2015, 15:45 jacobvandy

You really don't get it if you think the wealthiest people in the world care more about family than they do acquiring even more wealth.

That level of greed in itself is a product of mental illness, they simply don't think the same way as us peons do. As long as they get one heir out of a litter of brainwashed groomed offspring, I doubt they give a single fuck if the rest of them live or die.

Mind you, this isn't every person who works in pharmaceuticals... Just the ones with the real power. There are people out there are who are trying to find actual cures, but as soon as they get on to something they are SQUASHED. This one guy has been successfully treating cancer with alternative treatments for decades, and is repeatedly being fucked with by the federal government despite having done nothing illegal or unethical: http://www.burzynskiclinic.com/

14. Re: Brazilís Cancer Curse. Sep 16, 2015, 14:53 jacobvandy

descender wrote on Sep 16, 2015, 14:09:
Finding a highly effective therapy would guarantee huge worldwide sales.

And what if Chemotherapy is that "cure" for them? There would be little motivation to find another more effective cure that would result in less follow-up care and less profits wouldn't there? The AMA/FDA/BigPharma etc suppress new medical information and treatments that they don't fully control religiously, why would cancer treatments be any different?

There are lots of new exciting things in the world of curing cancer... but I highly doubt (see what I did there) that THC oils are one of them. I do fully believe in medical applications of THC but this seems like a bit of a stretch. If anyone missed it the VICE special from March on fighting cancer with viruses, it was really good. http://killingcancer.vice.com I don't think the entire episode is up there but it's worth finding.

You're spot on about them being anything BUT interested in a quick and easy cure for cancer. Only a complete idiot could believe big pharma is truly interested in making the world a better place... A sure-fire cure and/or vaccine would definitely sell like hotcakes, but only ONE TIME per person. They'd rather peddle you bullshit that doesn't work for the rest of your godforsaken life. They're already making so much money that way, and they're saving so much more by not doing any more research, so what reason do they have to come up with a better way? Why come up with a way to cure mental illness when they can put you on 1-17 prescription medications that you need to take regularly, for the rest. of. your. life?

As for marijuana curing cancer, that's actually a bit of a misconception. It's not the THC that is used in medicinal applications for the most part, in fact the cannabinoid treatments being used to fight disease and even cancer won't get you high at all. It's not the same oil you would take and use to make brownies for a party with your friends, lol. Just as there are a million different strains being bred for various affects on the high, there are many plants being bred to accentuate other chemical components that actually have shown promise in treating ailments. How convenient that those independent researchers and doctors are unable to patent their discoveries because the base material is still illegal on a federal level... =/

News Comments > Amnesia Free on Steam
15. Re: Amnesia Free on Steam Sep 15, 2015, 20:31 jacobvandy

C&C Red Alert 2 + Yuri's Revenge is also free on Origin today.  

News Comments > Need for Speed: No Paid DLC or Microtransactions
10. Re: Need for Speed: No Paid DLC or Microtransactions Sep 15, 2015, 14:37 jacobvandy

Kxmode wrote on Sep 15, 2015, 13:43:
jacobvandy wrote on Sep 15, 2015, 13:00:
THIS. Why would you applaud bullshit marketing double-speak?

I did use the face. I'm not applauding their bullshit marketing double-speak. That's simply my impression of the reaction from EA's Marketing team and/or diehard EA's fans.

Sorry, I quoted you to +1, but that was a more general 'you' replying to the guy who did call for applause.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 15, 2015, 14:33 jacobvandy

BobBob wrote on Sep 15, 2015, 12:36:
San Fran?!? Ah, the language of the non-local or 'never been there'. Don't get me started on 'Frisco'.

Sorry pal, the non-local and 'never been there' outnumber you by a pretty wide margin, which means they decide the common vernacular. Which sort of snob are you, do you call it [City By] The Bay as if there aren't a thousand bays in the world, or just The City, like you're holding on to the glory days of the 1800s? Or maybe something else so inside, that only people in your zip code get it?

3354 Comments. 168 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo