Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 4481 (Master)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Anthem Changes for Launch
4. Re: Anthem Changes for Launch Feb 3, 2019, 13:29 jacobvandy

Yep, for all their claims that it's got a lot of Bioware RPG-ness to it, the demo at least had nothing to do but go around and shoot monsters. Even the story quests were just waypoints to different spots where a bunch of enemies spawn in.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
1. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 3, 2019, 12:06 jacobvandy

Doesn't look like "billions" in last-minute Metro Exodus pre-orders to me. A $20 game with a high of 15k concurrent players is #1, for frame of reference.  

News Comments > Anthem Open Demo Live
20. Re: Anthem Open Demo Live Feb 2, 2019, 00:16 jacobvandy

Kain wrote on Feb 1, 2019, 23:21:
Or if you insist on being an early adopter, do the $0.99 one month thing on Origin to try it and cancel the sub so it doesn't auto-renew.

The $0.99 offer is for the Basic subscription, which allows you to play a 10-hour trial before release, but that's it. I suppose it's a good option if you wanted a deeper look into the real game than this weekend allows... Unfortunately you won't be able to play as much as you want for a whole month that cheaply, you'd need to pay $15 for the Premier sub to do that.

News Comments > On Tomorrow's Public Anthem Demo
10. Re: On Tomorrow's Public Anthem Demo Jan 31, 2019, 21:55 jacobvandy

Kxmode wrote on Jan 31, 2019, 21:21:
Rhett wrote on Jan 31, 2019, 19:51:
I was already looking forward to The Division 2 anyway, which should be awesome.

The Division 2 is an Epic Store exclusive or conversely an UbiSoft store purchase, which is technically what third-party stores like Epic and Steam funnel too anyway.

Yeah... That's not what exclusive means. They were no doubt paid to keep it off of Steam but it's available everywhere else, same as all their other releases in the past several years. GMG, Humble, et al. are still selling Uplay keys. This is a contrast to the actual exclusives Epic has bought, which are able to be purchased ONLY on the Epic Games store.

Back on topic, I'm maintaining my cautious optimism that Anthem will at least be some fun with a group of friends. We'll probably try it out tomorrow night, which I realize is going to be peak time so hopefully they've ironed out most of their server issues.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 31, 2019, 10:25 jacobvandy

I stopped answering calls from numbers I don't recognize years ago. Though I wouldn't mind an option for my phone to automatically chuck them to voicemail so I don't even have to be bothered by the pop-up or missed call notification.  

News Comments > Metro Exodus Epic Deal Sparks Backlash
91. Re: Metro Exodus Epic Deal Sparks Backlash Jan 31, 2019, 00:48 jacobvandy

Kxmode wrote on Jan 30, 2019, 23:51:
There are so many hidden costs to Deep Silver's choice that I don't believe the decision makers really thought their decision through.

I thought it was interesting for THQ Nordic to come out and say Deep Silver made this deal on their own, like they were trying to avoid the fire spreading to their entire company. Of course, then folks were jumping on them for not having enough control over their subsidiaries, lol. Doesn't seem like there's any way for them to avoid the splash damage, especially since Satisfactory is also under their umbrella.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 30, 2019, 21:36 jacobvandy

They did do a lot of tooting their own horn last year... Maybe we'll get to see what those bajillion indie devs they bought up are actually working on this time.  

77. Re: Metro Exodus Epic Deal Sparks Backlash Jan 30, 2019, 20:08 jacobvandy

Slick wrote on Jan 30, 2019, 17:58:
And why on earth do you assume Epic paid them off to get Exodus on their store?

It's hardly a stretch, considering the Satisfactory devs announced publicly they were paid off for their exclusivity deal. I have heard it was enough money to ensure their studio can keep running for a year even if they never actually sold any copies on the Epic store, but I can't find the source to verify that.

34. Re: Metro Exodus Epic Deal Sparks Backlash Jan 30, 2019, 14:32 jacobvandy

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 30, 2019, 14:00:
VaranDragon wrote on Jan 30, 2019, 13:54:
Grow the fuck up. This is how you grow your business. People were green with rage when they had to install some barely working, piece of shit 3rd party software called STEAM so they could play Half Life 2.
This. Steam was a piece of shit when it was first released. The Epic Games Launcher may not have full feature parity but it is in a much better state that Steam was when it started. There was also a backlash against Steam exclusives until it became a major platform, then people actively bought retail games that supported Steam.

That wasn't backlash against Steam exclusives, Steam just happened to be the best/only choice for publishers who wanted DRM and digital distribution at the time. The backlash was from people who were upset that discs they bought in a store no longer worked offline or without additional downloads. If Microsoft had given a single fuck about PC, they would have filled that role, instead. The transition to digital was going to happen whether Steam existed or not.

News Comments > DiRT Rally 2.0 System Specs
4. Re: DiRT Rally 2.0 System Specs Jan 29, 2019, 13:16 jacobvandy

These games have never been very demanding of hardware. Always struck me as odd that they've been a mainstay of GPU benchmarking when the numbers were always an order of magnitude higher than the other games... "This new video card will let you see racetrack backgrounds whiz by at 200+ FPS instead of 150+!" Yay, I guess?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: re: Out of the Blue Jan 29, 2019, 12:15 jacobvandy

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jan 29, 2019, 11:52:
VaranDragon wrote on Jan 29, 2019, 11:03:
Wish Logitech were still making the MX518 or a derivative of some kind. Best. Mouse. I. Ever. Had.
https://www.logitechg.com/zh-hk/products/gaming-mice/mx518-gaming-mouse.html
No idea if and when it comes to NA and EU, but if you dont mind, you can order it in Asia already.

Oh my glob, thanks for that. I recently bought a new Logitech mouse since the successor to the successor of the MX518 I've had since 2011 is about ready to retire. But since this new G500 is only similar in that it doesn't have a billion thumb buttons, LED lights, or removable weights (and doesn't look like it's trying to be some kind of Transformer), I've been holding off making the swap because I'm not looking forward to getting used to a new shape. Now I'm hopeful that I won't have to!

News Comments > Metro Exodus an Epic Store Exclusive - What This Means for Steam Preorders
55. Re: Metro Exodus an Epic Store Exclusive - What This Means for Steam Preorders Jan 29, 2019, 11:58 jacobvandy

Creston wrote on Jan 29, 2019, 11:38:
Kain wrote on Jan 29, 2019, 09:31:
it is getting a little bit too much like TV channels for my taste. 10+ different logins, passwords, 2FA and etc to manage just to play games is getting a bit annoying.

Amen. Every one of my store accounts (there's like six or seven of them now) is on MFA/2FA, and most of those are tied to my phone. I shudder to think how I would even ever recover them if something happens to my phone, or move them to a different device.

... I should probably look into that.

I had that happen a few years back, it was a big pain in the ass to recover accounts including Google, Origin, and Steam (easiest of the bunch). You gotta have a piece of paper somewhere with all your recovery codes on it, or put a text doc on a thumb drive and hide that someplace, then treat it like it's your damn birth certificate.

News Comments > Metro Exodus an Epic Store Exclusive - What This Means for Steam Preorders
33. Re: Metro Exodus an Epic Store Exclusive - What This Means for Steam Preorders Jan 29, 2019, 02:03 jacobvandy

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 28, 2019, 22:43:
jacobvandy wrote on Jan 28, 2019, 22:34:
An upcoming game with no release date ...
Release date
02/15/19

http://www.deepsilver.com/us/games/metro-exodus/

Did you literally stop reading 15 words into my post so you could make one of your own trying to spite me? All you had to do was finish the sentence you partially quoted in order to tell I was referring to another game (Satisfactory) in comparison to this one.

19. Re: Metro Exodus an Epic Store Exclusive - What This Means for Steam Preorders Jan 28, 2019, 22:34 jacobvandy

The timing on this one is really shitty... An upcoming game with no release date and no availability deciding to switch over and become an Epic exclusive is one thing, but reaping pre-orders for 5 1/2 months and then jumping ship three weeks before it's out is just gross. Screw Epic for poaching and screw Deep Silver for pulling the rug out from under a lot of people, including myself (was planning on a Steam key from GMG).

Also, Deep Silver has deleted and re-posted their announcement on Steam at least once, to flush out all the shit they're catching for this from the comments.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 28, 2019, 14:52 jacobvandy

I still use an old build of Winamp from before that went to hell for music, but otherwise I think even VLC would be better than WMP for that.  

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Jan 28, 2019, 10:04 jacobvandy

Spektr wrote on Jan 28, 2019, 04:57:
So is there a developers'room in FO4? :p

Yeah, every Bethesda game has one.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jan 27, 2019, 13:19 jacobvandy

I guess I'm an "expert" because I've seen all of those locations in FO4.. Or it's just a shitty excuse for an article and the majority of them aren't hidden at all.  

News Comments > Metro Exodus Specs
3. Re: Metro Exodus Specs Jan 26, 2019, 19:15 jacobvandy

Yeah, I love the series, but these guys always have sponsorship deals going with various hardware companies. You can't even take their system reqs seriously.  

News Comments > Anthem Demo Issues
6. Re: Anthem Demo Issues Jan 25, 2019, 18:51 jacobvandy

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 25, 2019, 18:37:
Sorry for sniping 1 thing, but fov 45? You sure about that? Because I'd need a bucket and not just a bag at 45, that'd be like ramming your face directly into the screen. Heck, not even ADS in iron sighting (ie, zooming in) uses 45 fov without blacking or blurring out the edges because it robs you off so much peripheral view that it makes anyone with that problem instantly sick.

So maybe better I don't even bother with the demo then.

If that number is correct, I'm sure it's vertical FOV, which a lot of games reference instead of horizontal. 45 vertical is 72 horizontal.

News Comments > Fallout 76 Survival Mode Plans
16. Re: Fallout 76 Survival Mode Plans Jan 25, 2019, 16:26 jacobvandy

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 25, 2019, 16:06:
This is like willingly putting a stick through your front spokes while riding a bike.

This is what the online survival genre is all about, and tens of millions of people love it. They tried to water it down to appeal to the average Fallout fan that may not want to be murdered over and over again, but that didn't go so well. It's a smart move to embrace the tried and true formula more, even if it's an optional game mode.

4481 Comments. 225 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo