Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 3418 (Veteran)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Green Man Gaming Defends Key Sources
11. Re: Green Man Gaming Defends Key Sources Nov 16, 2015, 22:46 jacobvandy

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 16, 2015, 21:51:
What I don't get is why Steam allows 3rd party keys to be added to steam. What is in it for them? Or is it just "it makes more people user our interface, which is a good thing for us!"

They're not really third-party keys, if they activate on Steam then that means the developer/publisher is contracted with them to use Steamworks. They can generate any number of keys they want for free and distribute them in any manner they want, including selling them through retail channels or to people like GMG or even on their own website to get paid directly.

What's in it for Valve is that they're required to have their game for sale on the Steam store, too, with the 30% (or whatever it is) taken off the top. Any game that is selling will sell a majority there, so that's how they get paid for their services. The big fish like Fallout 4 pick up the slack for the little guys who might only sell 100 copies at $2 each.

To prevent people getting around the royalties with microtransactions or to include F2P games in this, a few years back they started requiring any DLC you sell also be available in the Steam store, or you can incorporate Steam Wallet for making in-game purchases. This is what EA had a problem with, when they started using BioWare Points and all that crap, and gave Valve the finger when they were asked to put their DLC in the Steam store. Like the game keys themselves, it doesn't have to be exclusive, just has to be an option, but they refused...

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 2015, 23:48.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Nov 16, 2015, 17:37 jacobvandy

It won't show all items together when you look in an individual container, but you'll have the materials available to you when building or crafting. Once you've got a big stash in your main base, wherever that is, the easiest way to pimp out a new settlement is to get that connection established.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 15, 2015, 19:02 jacobvandy

Kosumo wrote on Nov 15, 2015, 18:58:
I'm having great fun with Fallout, but now my settlements are starting to come under attack and I'm starting to find it daunting to fight off some of the attckers - POWER AMOUR TIME! (that or become a jet junkie)

You need more turrets!

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
2. Re: Mariah Carey’s ‘Game Of War’ Cleavage Nov 15, 2015, 14:53 jacobvandy

Panickd wrote on Nov 15, 2015, 14:07:
Game of War is one of the most highly-anticipated video games of 2015

Ummm....WTF?!? Speechless

It's been around longer than that, so I guess they're referring to the Fire Age update. At any rate, it's a sad but probably still true statement. There's a much, much broader audience out there for which that is the new big thing, compared to even the 10 million or whatever people who were eagerly awaiting Fallout 4.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Coming to Steam
9. Re: MechWarrior Online Coming to Steam Nov 14, 2015, 14:09 jacobvandy

Task wrote on Nov 14, 2015, 12:09:
The last swan song me thinks.

Potentially. Any F2P that releases late on Steam has decided they're not doing so well on their own [anymore] and are looking for that influx of new blood that comes with your free game being seen on the front page of THE store. It could save them, or it could just show that many more people how crappy the game is and sink them for good when they don't make enough extra money to make up for giving Valve a cut. Such a gamble is probably their only hope, though.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Shipped 12M on Day One
116. Re: Fallout 4 Shipped 12M on Day One Nov 13, 2015, 23:30 jacobvandy

Task wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 21:02:
nin wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 11:52:

User scores mean nothing, when people can register and reviewbomb. It's the equivalent of an amazon review.

Amazon changed it - you have to be a verified purchaser for legit reviews on there these days. Also I was simply pointing out that a lot of negative reviews on there are mostly just because of the disc issue, but boy did that fly right over people's heads. Regarding meta critic - if that's the case, then FO3 too would have been so called 'review bombed' when it was released. Just not buying the review bomb conspiracy.

I bought the PC game disc since I am on metered internet. I get the game in this afternoon only to find out that the disc only contains about 5GB of the 24GB game. It would cost me an additional $150 to increase my data plan enough to download the rest of the game and play it. This is a huge fail on Bethesda's part. I wish companies would realize that not everyone has huge data allowances. Console versions of the game were shipped on Blu-Ray discs but they decided to ship not even a quarter of the game on a DVD for PC users.

^I mean WOW *insert the 'fuck me... right?'* meme right there if people want to tell them off.

If that's a review you're quoting, it qualifies as review bombing, IMO. It's not a review of the game, it's him using that as an avenue for lodging a publisher complaint and rating the game poorly to get his revenge. There is a lot of that kind of crap on Steam for many games, and people vote it as "helpful" so it goes up toward the top of the heap because they too are spiteful, whatever their reason for it is... But it's not, it's not helpful for people who want to determine whether or not they'd like the game, which is the whole point of the exercise. That's an unfortunate thing, I know a friend of mine was disappointed with that, too, but he should be taking it up with support, getting a refund, doing what he needs to do. It doesn't belong in any review section, though.

80. Re: Fallout 4 Shipped 12M on Day One Nov 13, 2015, 15:14 jacobvandy

descender wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 14:38:
I simply don't believe that every single person that posted a negative review is part of some grand conspiracy to discredit FO4... that's a you problem. Sure, some of the user reviews are probably fake... 5% maybe? 10%? That leaves hundreds of negative reviews and dozens of different complaints about the game that you just hand-wave over with your fanboy goggles as "haters". There are very real problems with this game and once the newness wears off you'll start to see through more and more of the cracks.

I have no such problem, nor have I ever denied there are problems with the game. Every one of my posts in this thread has been about your denying that review bombing (positive or negative) affects the Metacritic user rating. I've been trying to discuss it with you on a general basis, but you keep on with the straw men, arguing with yourself about how awful Fallout 4 is. Personally, I think you've got some confirmation bias, with the legitimacy of the rating depending on whether you agree with it. User rating correct, since it's lower, critic rating wrong, since it's higher...

Well, I guess I'll just go back to playing a game that has already provided me entertainment in excess of $60, flaws and all.

74. Re: Fallout 4 Shipped 12M on Day One Nov 13, 2015, 14:27 jacobvandy

descender wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 13:36:
3200 is a ridiculously small number

No... it isn't. It took Skyrim 4 years to get to 8k reviews, FO4 has half of that number in 4 days. Fallout4 already has more negative reviews posted than Skyrim... If these mythical "bethesda haters" are actually posting fake reviews, they haven't been doing a very good job of it with other Bethesda games... just this one.

And The Witcher 3 has near 10,000 reviews in the past six months, that doesn't mean anything. Quoting me out of context doesn't give you license to throw the logic of the statement out the window... That being, of the MILLIONS of people who play these games, a very, very, very, very, very small minority of people are posting reviews on Metacritic, along with who knows how many who have not played it at all. They're going out of their way to do so because they have a specific goal in mind: to influence that little number.

You still haven't answered why you put any credence into it at all, considering you completely dismiss the critic reviews as payola. Setting aside the possibility of fraud, do you honestly believe that every average joe, armchair reviewer is completely pure in their intent and free of all bias?

46. Re: Fallout 4 Shipped 12M on Day One Nov 13, 2015, 13:25 jacobvandy

descender wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 13:10:
Oh no, not 2 dozen fake email addresses! Compared to 3200 reviews... this is not a real world problem. The POINT was that you can't just mass sign up accounts to post fake reviews easily.

Oh, well since you say you can't, I guess it's impossible.

3200 is a ridiculously small number when you're talking about perhaps 10+ million people having bought it already. You know Bethesda has a lot of haters, too (some of them post here!), so even just a tiny fraction of them could easily have fabricated that many reviews (or as I already mentioned, fanboys blindly posting 10s). My point is that you can't trust that aggregate at all. If you think all the 'pro' reviews are bought and paid for, how could you put any stock into the user reviews that can be posted completely anonymously?

38. Re: Fallout 4 Shipped 12M on Day One Nov 13, 2015, 13:07 jacobvandy

For what it's worth, everyone, there is an in-game help menu. It explains most basic gameplay elements, including a lot of FAQs people have when they first start. I personally find it refreshing not to be forced through an exhaustive tutorial, and the information is there if you want it.

descender wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 12:01:
User scores mean nothing, when people can register and reviewbomb.

Maybe a few people can do that, but not 3000 of them (metacritic requires email verification).

Oh, no, not email verification! It's a good thing you're limited to only one email addre- Wait...

Lol, anyone who doesn't have at least 1 or 2 throwaway email accounts is using the internet in the wrong way. The kind of bored, angry people who review bomb probably have 1 or 2 dozen. I bet if you go through those user scores, they're almost all 10s and 0s, because the vast majority of people who submit them are only looking to influence that average to suit their keyboard warrior agenda.

This comment was edited on Nov 13, 2015, 13:13.

News Comments > Evening Patches
2. Re: Evening Patches Nov 13, 2015, 00:51 jacobvandy

Seasons are NOT a waste of time. Everything you earn and collect rolls over into non-season.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Nov 11, 2015, 23:11 jacobvandy

I'll never understand the people who are more interested in winning games than actually playing them...  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops III Sales Soar
9. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops III Sales Soar Nov 11, 2015, 15:17 jacobvandy

Movie theaters don't get to inflate their day one sales figures with who knows how many pre-orders they amassed by spending tens of millions in advertising throughout the months leading up to opening day, many of which were digital and so had next to no associated distribution cost or logistical consideration...  

News Comments > Fallout 4 Popular
49. Re: Fallout 4 Popular Nov 11, 2015, 14:54 jacobvandy

Alamar wrote on Nov 11, 2015, 14:39:
Hmmm... Just checked, and I have no arrows on the left side for sorting MY stuff, but clicking on the name cycles through the types, so thanks for that ; )

Yeah, a little quirk, the arrows don't show when you "switch" from your inventory to the container or vice versa, which on PC is just moving your mouse to the other side of the screen. You're welcome.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Raids Next Week
6. Re: Guild Wars 2 Raids Next Week Nov 11, 2015, 14:45 jacobvandy

SXO wrote on Nov 11, 2015, 08:27:
You forgot tons and tons of timesinks. You want a new sword skin? Be prepared to commit to hundreds of hours of grinding for the materials. Want that cool looking dungeon set? Spend weeks trying to find people willing to run the dungeon only to fail miserably because 2 members of the party never learned how to dodge. GW2 was the greatest bait and switch of all time. It was billed as "the MMO that respects your time" simply because it claimed that leveling didn't require grinding, and that there was no gear treadmill. What they failed to mention is that they replaced those timesinks with others instead. And then they later added the gear treadmill anyway by introducing "fractal" dungeons that are literally an endless gear treadmill.

Except grinding for those skins is 100% optional, they offer no statistical advantage. They put those tough-earned status symbols in because there are a lot of sadistic fucks out there who WANT TO GRIND. When GW2 came out and Exotic was the top tier, you didn't have to go out of your way at all to be decked out in the best stats there were by the time you hit 80 (Legendaries existed, but again, they're only skins). Enough people bitched about it being too easy that they later added Ascended tier, which is a 5% improvement in stats, and you have to put in a good deal of work to craft yourself a full set, let alone multiple sets. One tier of items does not a "gear treadmill" make...

Why are you so offended by completely optional content? Are you a conflicted sadistic fuck, compelled to grind but at the same time morally opposed to what you're forcing yourself to do?

45. Re: Fallout 4 Popular Nov 11, 2015, 14:22 jacobvandy

Alamar wrote on Nov 11, 2015, 10:36:
So much scrolling... I'm having nightmares about it...

Carry around the usual 200 pieces of crap... Oh look, a T-45 Armor piece I can throw in my 'bank' for later... I should count, but I think I had to flick the mousewheel like 20 times to get down to T to click it, as container management lists every single item...

Like the previous games, you can click the little arrows to the left or right of where it says "My Inventory" or "<container name>" to switch from a full listing of contents to those categories that exist in your Pip-boy, weapons, apparel, aid, misc, ammo, etc. They've also directly implemented a sorting feature that we used to have to install a mod for, you can sort by weight and caps value, maybe a couple others.

19. Re: Fallout 4 Popular Nov 11, 2015, 03:23 jacobvandy

Doma wrote on Nov 11, 2015, 03:04:
Oh and skills are out! (In a RPG!!!) and the Mass Effect dialogue wheel isnt exactly an upgrade.

Put it up against a proper RPG like The Witcher 3 that also came out this year, its just sad.

The perk tree in FO4 is no different than the way you unlock skills in the various trees upon level-up in The Witcher 3... It made me chuckle, the way you put those two contradictory statements together. What difference does it make to be rid of the extraneous 1-100 values, when all that mattered before was the 4-5 breakpoints we're left with now anyway?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. removed Nov 10, 2015, 16:49 jacobvandy

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 10, 2015, 17:16.

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Fallout 4
54. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Fallout 4 Nov 10, 2015, 16:45 jacobvandy

Kosumo wrote on Nov 10, 2015, 15:47:
- you can obtain power armor and high level mini-gun in first area of game and you can use it no sweat

Yes, but you can not then just use it all the time, you have 'fuel' for it. As well as it servers more as an item that you become invested in due to you slowly upgrading it over time.

People who haven't played the game are reading way too much into that fact... Yes, you get power armor and a minigun in what is basically the first story quest (the one they showed at E3). But power armor and minigun are not the same as they were in the past couple of games. The minigun is not that strong, and good luck finding or buying hundreds of 5mm rounds to keep using it beyond that initial encounter with the raiders and deathclaw...

Power armor is not end-game passive equipment anymore, so you don't just put it on and become the toughest you will ever be. You will still die to enemies at the same low level as you if you're reckless. It's an exoskeleton that increases your carry weight, boosts strength, and nullifies fall damage, with modular, upgradeable armor segments, however it requires a fusion battery to be useful. Without that fuel source (sprinting in the suit can drain it in just a few minutes), you can't use VATS, can't use any of the powered melee attacks, and you're stuck moving slowly like you're overencumbered.

On top of all that, there are at least 4 tiers of power armor, and the one you get to start with is the crappiest one (you can find multiple suits, and it is possible for an NPC to steal yours). All of them require significant material investment to improve their defensive attributes and repair them to preserve that basic usefulness... Power armor is a really cool playstyle choice, and it is possible to use it all the time if you're conservative with your energy use and diligent in your scavenging, but for someone to say it's something wrong with the game just proves they're completely ignorant of this core gameplay/progression mechanic and how it actually works.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2015, 14:04 jacobvandy

Cutter wrote on Nov 10, 2015, 13:21:
Tom Clancy's The Division Beta Signups

You're welcome.

Thanks, but looks like you need a key. I've gleaned you get one for pre-ordering, people on G2A are selling them for a couple bucks a piece, and I found a site that is giving them away for "free" (you need to complete one of those bullshit mailing-list-hell surveys)... I'll just keep an eye out for a legit giveaway somewhere.

3418 Comments. 171 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo