Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 3419 (Veteran)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Fallout 4 Patch Breaks Mod Support
15. Re: Fallout 4 Patch Breaks Mod Support Dec 7, 2015, 15:26 jacobvandy

Quboid wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 15:20:
Mods work fine for me using this custom launcher.

It's probably an oversight but it would really, really suck if they're locking down unofficial modding because they want mods to be console compatible.

Paranoid delusions... If that were their goal, it's far too late to do anything about it now. Even if the GECK were available already, there would still be plenty of mods completely unsuitable for use on consoles. They have no reason to "lock down" PC modding whatsoever.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 6, 2015, 16:19 jacobvandy

When I was checking out Amazon a couple days ago (they have the Pip-Boy Edition again, BTW), I noticed the regular FO4 game was the #1 seller on all platforms. Blops^3 edged it out on Xbox today because it's on sale, but still, that's pretty impressive.  

News Comments > Half-Life 3 Rumor Fuel
3. Re: Half-Life 3 Rumor Fuel Dec 6, 2015, 16:07 jacobvandy

Couldn't any random dev have slipped that in as a joke?  

News Comments > Paragon is a MOBA
3. Re: Paragon is a MOBA Dec 6, 2015, 16:05 jacobvandy

You mean this was supposed to be a secret, throughout all those hero reveals?  

News Comments > Delete Steam Games
38. Re: Delete Steam Games Dec 5, 2015, 20:29 jacobvandy

Lol, I suppose you don't carry a wallet around with you anywhere, then? I know firsthand how much of a pain in the ass it is to lose one of those, and smartphones with sensitive data on them are no different. You get to a computer or another phone ASAP and tell Valve to lock your account, like you would be canceling cards and putting in ID theft alerts with the credit bureaus. That doesn't mean two-factor authentication isn't still the best way to secure any account of any kind, short of retinal scans and voice recognition, etc.

You can use one of the many Android emulators out there to access the Steam app on your computer. It's not as good as having that on a separate device, but it will save you the wait time when you give away trading cards.

35. Re: Delete Steam Games Dec 5, 2015, 14:28 jacobvandy

jimnms wrote on Dec 5, 2015, 13:19:
jacobvandy wrote on Dec 5, 2015, 01:31:
jimnms wrote on Dec 4, 2015, 23:16:
I said it the other day, forcing forcing everyone to use the Steam Mobile Authenticator for trading had nothing to do with protecting users. They want to make it a pain in the ass to trade so more people will use the market instead. If they really wanted to protect users you wouldn't be able instantly delete games from your account easier than it is to trade stupid cards worth a few cents.

You're not forced... You can disable the trade confirmation emails if you're so inclined. They have it enabled by default to protect the ignorant, and the feature in itself was made to benefit those with significant value stored in their inventory. Feel free to throw caution to the wind (and forfeit your right to petition Support about lost items) if all you deal with is small potatoes among friends.

Have you been living under a rock the past few weeks? After December 9th you'll be required to use the Steam Mobile Authenticator or your trades will be held in escrow for 3 days. This is supposedly done to protect users from losing items if their accounts are hacked/stolen, but why aren't they extending this same protection to your games if they really want to protect their users?

Not a rock, per se... Have been spending a lot of time in the Commonwealth, though. I also don't do much actual trading. The marketplace was made for those high volumes of cheap items, so that's what I use for the cards. I don't get the argument you're trying to make, though; you're against having to use the authenticator for trades (takes 5 seconds to look up a code on a phone, it's not that much of a chore IMO), but you want them to force that on people for every game deletion request? If you have Steam Guard enabled, and there's no reason not to, you already have to use the authenticator to log in to the support site before you can access that function.

The important thing to note here is that the support site is a separate entity, on Steampowered.com, but your inventory and all that other stuff is on SteamCommunity.com. It requires two logins, and so two authentications as well, to access both from the same browser. You would never be logged in to the support site under normal circumstances, checking the store or your activity feed or forums or trading, especially not on a public computer. So as I said earlier in the thread, it's your own fault if you left that access open for a stranger or other ne'er-do-well to delete your games. Protecting that sort of thing is probably why they spun all the normal Steam features off into their own site to begin with.

22. Re: Delete Steam Games Dec 5, 2015, 01:31 jacobvandy

jimnms wrote on Dec 4, 2015, 23:16:
I said it the other day, forcing forcing everyone to use the Steam Mobile Authenticator for trading had nothing to do with protecting users. They want to make it a pain in the ass to trade so more people will use the market instead. If they really wanted to protect users you wouldn't be able instantly delete games from your account easier than it is to trade stupid cards worth a few cents.

You're not forced... You can disable the trade confirmation emails if you're so inclined. They have it enabled by default to protect the ignorant, and the feature in itself was made to benefit those with significant value stored in their inventory. Feel free to throw caution to the wind (and forfeit your right to petition Support about lost items) if all you deal with is small potatoes among friends.

4. Re: Delete Steam Games Dec 4, 2015, 20:51 jacobvandy

Rilcon wrote on Dec 4, 2015, 20:37:
Wait, why?

The only "use" I can see in this is in severely fucking people over that didn't log off their account somewhere another could access it. I'm hoping there's some sort of verification email or something to go along with something like this?

Enough people wanted the function that they created it, it seems. Aside from the fact that you probably deserve whatever happens to you if you log in to ANY important account on a public computer and leave it alone, I'm sure they'd restore your account to pre-fucked over status without much fuss.

News Comments > Rock Band VR Announced
1. Re: Rock Band VR Announced Dec 4, 2015, 20:30 jacobvandy

with a first-person perspective of your guitar, which incongruously (or authentically) has plastic controller buttons.

Ugh, lol, I guess they did that because some people actually look down at the buttons... There are only five of them, it's not that hard to navigate by touch!

Ah, well, I've long since moved on to Rocksmith.

News Comments > Psychonauts 2 Announced
17. Re: Psychonauts 2 Announced Dec 4, 2015, 20:12 jacobvandy

Their failings in the past several years are enough for me to write them off, but the fact that they're jumping to a new, unknown crowdfunding platform should be putting up red flags for anyone else... Especially if that bit about them being involved with running Fig Newton Enterprises is true. How is there supposed to be confidence in any sort of oversight?

Oh, I see it now: https://www.fig.co/about#advisors

Fargo and Urquhart are there, too, does that mean their future projects will go through Figgy Pudding, LLC as well?

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Dec 3, 2015, 23:03 jacobvandy

Meh, only one worth testing was the last one with power armor vs. vertibird. Maybe also the pie thing, since most people assume they're just broken machines. The rest aren't so much "myths" as bits of trivia that are discovered through routine gameplay. Like being able to shoot a door bar to unlock it, that instance in the video is the ONLY instance of that being possible that I've come across, and it was fairly obvious that that's what you're supposed to do to get in that particular room. Maybe Part I is better...

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 2015, 23:08.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Dec 2, 2015, 18:51 jacobvandy

Remote-controlled claptrap, though!  

News Comments > Nova: Covert Ops Pre-purchases
3. Re: Nova: Covert Ops Pre-purchases Dec 2, 2015, 01:34 jacobvandy

So the first taste was free (Protoss prelude thing), and now they jack up the price... Better be some super awesome campaign missions for $2.50 a pop, lol.

Is there going to be any new, unique stuff in these, or will they be something like could be put together by anyone in the map editor?

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Released; No Multi-GPU Support and Other Issues
25. Re: Just Cause 3 Released; No Multi-GPU Support and Other Issues Dec 1, 2015, 18:35 jacobvandy

NKD wrote on Dec 1, 2015, 17:04:
jacobvandy wrote on Dec 1, 2015, 16:59:
I'm more concerned with the online DRM causing interruptions than loading a huge open world taking a bit... I guess that means it's time to wait a few months for them to get their full value from inconveniencing paying customers to prevent piracy before they finally relent and remove it.

Not sure what online DRM you're talking about. Game runs fine offline.

Excuse me, "persistent online features." Several reviews mention how goddamned annoying it is because their servers suck, and the offline mode isn't really an offline mode as it frequently attempts to reconnect upon such common actions as opening the map or pausing. It's the early days of Uplay all over again.

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Released; No Multi-GPU Support and Other Issues
21. Re: Just Cause 3 Released; No Multi-GPU Support and Other Issues Dec 1, 2015, 16:59 jacobvandy

I'm more concerned with the online DRM causing interruptions than loading a huge open world taking a bit... I guess that means it's time to wait a few months for them to get their full value from inconveniencing paying customers to prevent piracy before they finally relent and remove it.  

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
16. Re: New GeForce Drivers Dec 1, 2015, 16:36 jacobvandy

Well, it appears the potential of WaveWorks was just completely wasted on this game. Here's what it can do with stormy conditions on the open sea, which would have been perfect for Black Flag: https://youtu.be/iilqtDkeIBE?t=49

NVIDIA does the wave motion and determines where foam should appear. It's the artist's fault that the water looks plain old ugly.

This comment was edited on Dec 1, 2015, 16:44.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 1, 2015, 14:23 jacobvandy

The problem with that is they're blurring out the names and profile pictures, lol. What is it supposed to do, make the person who said it recognize their words and feel bad? Nobody knows it was them who said it, unless they also saw it online and knew already...  

News Comments > AMD Crimson Drivers Issue
18. Re: AMD Crimson Drivers Issue Nov 30, 2015, 20:24 jacobvandy

Do they, though? I'm well aware of the mythos, but I was trying to find actual measurements of the noise and came up with a couple saying it was no louder than modern leaf blower coolers at 58-60 dB. As they pioneered the technique, it seems that old fan made a more annoying whirring sound at its highest RPM, but it doesn't surprise me that the root of the joke is good, old-fashioned exaggeration.  

News Comments > AMD Crimson Drivers Issue
16. Re: AMD Crimson Drivers Issue Nov 30, 2015, 19:36 jacobvandy

Rigs wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 16:23:
ForgedReality wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 12:35:
God damn, AMD is trash. Their drivers have always been shit, but it seems like they're getting progressively worse these days. There's a reason they're cheaper, folks. Not worth the headaches or the risk if you ask me.

Then don't buy AMD. I have a sneaking suspicion you haven't been a Radeon owner in quite a while (if ever) because AMD's drivers haven't had any trouble for the last two or three years. Why is it that AMD's (or I should say ATI's, god I miss them!) driver problem from way back in the 9800PRO/XT days still comes up any time there's a driver issue while everyone seems to gloss over the absolute garbage nVidia's FX -series was?! Need I remind you that you could blow dry your hair with an FX-series card?

Honestly, if the only thing bad you guys can keep pulling out of the bin is something that was over ten years ago, that's probably a good thing. In any event, I haven't had any problems with my system whatsoever.

=-Rigs-=

You're right, AMD would never release notoriously hot and loud GPUs! Oh wait, you don't have to go back 10 years for that...

290X

News Comments > Steam Top 10
13. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 30, 2015, 00:56 jacobvandy

That the $15 version of Elite: Dangerous is now outdated and they're charging $60 for the soon to be released standalone expansion killed any enthusiasm I had for that discount real quick. They're calling it the new "season" of content updates, implying there's going to be a new $60 expansion next year, and so on...  

3419 Comments. 171 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo