Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Bend, OR 04/29

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 3586 (Veteran)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Xbox One Controller Windows Issues
31. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 8, 2016, 02:51 jacobvandy

Slick wrote on Aug 8, 2016, 02:21:
Who isn't using the DS4 controller for everything controller-related? It's my fav by far, works with bluetooth just fine. Some games you have to run input mapper, no setup required, just run the app and go.

Although maybe that's too much work for some people on here *BOOM* SICK BURN

Dualshock has always been too stubby for me, far less comfortable than an Xbox controller, though they may have finally improved on that with the latest version (I've still not upgraded to a PS4 yet, so I dunno). Plus I've never been a fan of reaching down for the left thumbstick... That design made at least a little sense when a lot of games still used the D-pad for movement or other primary functions, but the placements should have been swapped when that was no longer the case. It's just plain dumb stubbornness for it to still be that way today.

Those are the main reasons I've never even considered hooking one up to my PC... Otherwise, I think R1/L1 are better than Xbox bumpers, but R2/L2 are pretty shitty triggers by comparison (another thing which might be different now, but the legacy still plays into my disinterest). The Xbone controller improved in the areas it needed to over the 360's - hat switch garbage gone, no more protruding battery pack with a spring-loaded button that comes loose over time, better grip on the sticks - so I'm pretty satisfied with it. The fact that it works seamlessly with most games without the need for third-party utilities is just a bonus.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Valve Combating Cheating
7. Re: Valve Combating Cheating Aug 6, 2016, 17:53 jacobvandy

I've seen loads of comments about this story from people bitching that it might impact them gifting games to their friends. Because if you gift a game to someone and they're banned for cheating while playing it, you are then barred from gifting that game to anyone else. But I figure... Maybe you should get better friends if you think that will be a problem for you.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 5, 2016, 17:35 jacobvandy

Rekt. He'd have to sell a medal to cover that.  

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
6. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 3, 2016, 17:42 jacobvandy

Yes, Exanima is the name of the game on Steam. Backers have had keys for more than a year, or it costs $15. Last I checked that was an early preview demo, though; I'm not sure how much they've added to it or if owning that entitles you to the full game once it's finished.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 3, 2016, 03:21 jacobvandy

Meh, doesn't matter if they get one, that's not the reason Valve has for shutting them down. They aren't allowed to use Steam accounts or the API for their operations, and the gambling can't exist without a way to exchange the "chips."  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 2, 2016, 14:19 jacobvandy

descender wrote on Aug 2, 2016, 14:05:
It does seem a little absurd that "sex offenders" interested in abduction would be attracted to what are now highly visible public places full of people almost guaranteed to be carrying a GPS tracking device and a camera.

I know that these aren't stable people, but that would be a pretty bad plan.

We've all seen the mob videos, but that only happens in places like NYC. The rest of that state, and most of the country, is host to far more sparse activity. Even if a kid has a friend or two with them, they're easy prey for a motivated creep.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 2, 2016, 14:01 jacobvandy

They have a point. It's in the developer's best interest to accommodate such requests, too, unless they want to invite even more serious blowback. You get a story of a kid being abducted and/or raped by a pedo who used this game to find them, and people will be up in arms...  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 1, 2016, 21:19 jacobvandy

Got an email from Newegg today about the GTX 970 class action settlement... They said to standby for claim submissions, but according to reports it looks like I could get a cool $30 or so for being an early adopter.  

News Comments > Fireforge Games Bankruptcy
6. Re: Fireforge Games Bankruptcy Aug 1, 2016, 20:00 jacobvandy

Angrius Maximis wrote on Aug 1, 2016, 18:52:
Everything about the new Ghostbusters movie is total FAIL

Hey, I just found out they brought back the Ecto Cooler flavor of Hi-C for the occasion, so that's something! I ordered a case of it (in color-changing cans) from Amazon earlier.

News Comments > Marvel Ultimate Alliances PC Fixes Coming
13. Re: Marvel Ultimate Alliances PC Fixes Coming Jul 31, 2016, 16:50 jacobvandy

Kajetan wrote on Jul 31, 2016, 10:52:
Avus wrote on Jul 31, 2016, 04:44:
Download this fix now... it is called Marvel Heroes 2016... Lots of enhancement and it is free!!
https://marvelheroes.com/
An online MP-only F2P game? No, thank you!

It's a proper ARPG from the original creator of Diablo... Every single one of the nearly 60 heroes* available now is their own unique class. And though the free-roam areas are multiplayer with 15-20 people, the vast majority of the story and end-game content (replayable dungeons, raids, etc.) are private instances. There's no point in wasting time on that console trash MUA if you're looking for a Marvel ARPG.

*They recently added Ultron, which has caused some stir with the fanboys who take offense at him co-operating with the good guys.

News Comments > Marvel Ultimate Alliances PC Fixes Coming
5. Re: Marvel Ultimate Alliances PC Fixes Coming Jul 30, 2016, 14:11 jacobvandy

Yeah, you know it's bad when the licensor has to step in and tell the incompetent publisher to get their shit together...  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2016, 14:21 jacobvandy

I got a notification of a PM from the FireFall forums yesterday, of all places... Apparently Mark Kern is attempting to crowd fund and re-make the game according to his "original vision," which they're now calling Ember: http://forums.emberthegame.com/

My interest is piqued, considering the abortion we ended up with before. But I'm not holding my breath, nor dumping a couple hundred bucks into it like I did FF.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 SagaŚLiving World Season 3 Begins
3. Re: Guild Wars 2 SagaŚLiving World Season 3 Begins Jul 27, 2016, 16:01 jacobvandy

Yeah, and their servers were completely smashed. I bought the expansion last week when it went on sale, so I've been playing through that, but I couldn't even login for most of the day yesterday... I mean, I'm not surprised, for a lot of people LWS3 is the first new PVE content in 9 months. I'm looking forward to seeing the new Bloodstone Fen.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: etc., etc. Jul 23, 2016, 14:17 jacobvandy

osage no onna wrote on Jul 23, 2016, 11:50:
The orangutan video is a scam for ad revenue.

Most of the videos on the internet could be called scams for ad revenue, lol, so what's it matter?

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Jul 23, 2016, 00:11 jacobvandy

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns is 50% off through the middle of next week on their website. Living Story season 3 is starting!  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 22, 2016, 16:33 jacobvandy

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jul 22, 2016, 15:38:
Electric cars are not more efficient than gasoline!!!

USAs power grid is already taxed, burn more coal to get more power for your electric cars.. rolling blackouts for everyone in the USA soon.. but hey, they'll at least have cool electric cars that are out of power.

Yeah, but we can upgrade the power grid with newer, more efficient, and cleaner generation as needed... We can't do the same with fossil fuels. Burning more coal in the short term would still be a step in the right direction, a growing pain that can then be dealt with in turn.

News Comments > Rocket League Soars Past 19M Players
12. Re: Rocket League Soars Past 19M Players Jul 20, 2016, 22:17 jacobvandy

deqer wrote on Jul 20, 2016, 19:46:
My point exactly. Only a thousand or so people streaming it. It used to be one of the top games on twitch, and now it ISN'T.

So, yeah, 19M Players, 18M inactive. Cool story.

Numbers pulled from asses notwithstanding, it's in the top 10 Steam games daily, so they're still doing better than most.

News Comments > Diablo III Season 7 Rewards
2. Re: Diablo III Season 7 Rewards Jul 20, 2016, 18:47 jacobvandy

They need to have more exclusive transmogs. That Conqueror's set is pretty meh and I believe they're going on the third chance for people to get it? It takes three seasons to get all six pieces, so anyone who's participated in all of them has been waiting around for more than a year to see something new on that front... So if you don't like the portrait frame and/or aren't interested in collecting pets (all you need is one for the gold pickup utility), there's that much less reason to care about seasons altogether.

In fact, they probably should have made the Space Marine head and shoulders a seasonal reward instead of just throwing them out as random drops. I'm hoping they're working on the rest of that set!

News Comments > Rimworld Steam Key Fraud Halted
9. Re: Rimworld Steam Key Fraud Halted Jul 18, 2016, 13:59 jacobvandy

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 18, 2016, 13:40:
You would think that if a dev was offering a steam key that it would be on the up and up and through Steam.
Is this the developers fault?
The article does a poor job of explaining what happened.

A developer selling their game on Steam is allowed to generate as many Steam keys as they want, for free, to distribute however they choose. They can hand them out to reviewers, do promo giveaways to the general public, or even sell them themselves without having to give a cut to Valve. That's why you see developers selling Steam keys on their own website, and why their most loyal supporters will insist to everyone that that is where they make their purchase: because the dev gets more money that way.

However, as is the case here, it potentially makes them a target for fraud. Either the chargebacks happen because the credit cards used by scumbag grey market key re-sellers are stolen and the victim there is rightfully trying to recoup their losses, or the scumbags themselves are filing illegitimate chargebacks and small indie studio simply cannot handle the workload involved with disputing them all. A bank will give their customer the benefit of the doubt if the merchant in question does not respond in time to a chargeback, even if it's frivolous (the bank doesn't know).

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
4. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jul 17, 2016, 17:47 jacobvandy

bigspender wrote on Jul 17, 2016, 17:30:
Saboth wrote on Jul 17, 2016, 14:39:
Land of the free, home of the brave. Everyone's so terrified that someone parked in a public street talking in their car is cause to
run out and threaten them with a gun. The guy said the kids tried to run him over.
1. If true, I think they have a right since they were being threatened with a gun.
2. If not true, then he simply ran out and started shooting at people on the street because he was afraid.

Sounds like the gun owner was looking for an excuse to use his gun or to be a hero/tough guy.

Surely using something lethal like a gun for protection, can only be done so when a life is in danger?

Even if adults were stealing everything in his home, he doesn't have the right to kill them if his life is not in danger or at risk of any injury right? Although I guess it seems like in the US it's gotten to the point where you want to shoot first since everyone has guns. What a debacle.

Some states allow you to defend your home with deadly force no matter the circumstances. And frankly it is in your best interest to kill in that situation (as opposed to just beating him up or shooting him in the leg or something), so the asshole home invader doesn't come back and try to sue you thereafter. This guy is clearly an idiot, though, for not just calling the cops to report suspicious loitering. I would hope he catches an attempted murder charge.

3586 Comments. 180 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo