Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 4288 (Master)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Clatter Released
2. Re: Clatter Released Dec 11, 2018, 11:34 jacobvandy

I'm disappointed by the lack of a Christmas pun in this headline.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Beyond Good and Evil 2 Videos
10. Re: Beyond Good and Evil 2 Videos Dec 11, 2018, 09:24 jacobvandy

Okay, I also prefer single-player games, but where are you geting that this is anything like an MMO? From what I've read it will be kind of like Dark Souls at the most, which is single-player with optional multi and some other minor features to make it feel more "alive," yet is completely playable offline. Ubisoft has been pushing online connectivity in their games for at least 10 years, but that hasn't stopped me enjoying any of them alone, including Far Crys and Ghost Recon and The Division.

Also, wiki confirms it's a prequel.

5. Re: Beyond Good and Evil 2 Videos Dec 10, 2018, 22:43 jacobvandy

rjdriver wrote on Dec 10, 2018, 22:06:
They lost me, and my money, at "online game". Was so looking forward to this. Now it may end up in the trash heap with Fallout 76.

If you're gonna shy away from anything with online features, you're gonna miss about 90% of new games these days. Here they're referring to drop-in/drop-out co-op in their open world action game.. Equating that to a survival sandbox like FO76 is quite the leap.

3. Re: Beyond Good and Evil 2 Videos Dec 10, 2018, 21:44 jacobvandy

Isn't it a prequel or something, so they only make some references to the old game and that's it? Probably not similar in terms of gameplay, either, but I dunno about that since I haven't gotten around to playing the first yet. I installed it after they showed this one off because I happened to have it in my Uplay library, but that desktop shortcut has been sitting unclicked for a while... You know how it goes.  

News Comments > Conan Unconquered Announced
8. Re: Conan Unconquered Announced Dec 9, 2018, 22:06 jacobvandy

Jerykk wrote on Dec 9, 2018, 20:35:
CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 9, 2018, 18:32:
Looks pretty good from the screenies on the Steam page. I wouldn't mind a good old classic RTS like C&C, AoE, Empire at War etc. in a Conan setting. Could be fun if they don't ruin this shit with DLC'o'rama hell.

It's amazing how this once glorious and overcrowded genre has all but died. I guess we can thank consoles for that as RTS still does not translate very well to a controller.
The other reason is that programming a decent AI and making decent maps is actual work compared to making lazy console cookie cutter action games.

This isn't really a classic RTS. It's basically tower defense/horde mode. You build a base and deal with waves of enemies.

Those were always my favorite missions in Starcraft, C&C, Company of Heroes, anyway. Rigidly-scripted "story" missions are boring, and they always made you trudge through a dozen of them before you unlocked all the units and stuff. They Are Billions' survival mode is brilliant, so I am very pleasantly surprised to see a big name in RTS borrow from that.

News Comments > Epic Games Store Building Ahead of Steam
16. Re: Epic Games Store Building Ahead of Steam Dec 9, 2018, 15:19 jacobvandy

Slick wrote on Dec 9, 2018, 13:48:
Good on Epic. Fuck steam and their ridiculous 30% fee. For context, that's 30% of gross, not profit. If the cost of actually making the game (you know, employees, offices, keeping the lights on, marketing etc. etc. etc.) is 50% of that take, then you're looking at the studio who made the game getting 20% profit. Ludicrous. 30% is far too high for a digital storefront. Give money to the studios that actually make games.

For more context, Valve doesn't just have you pay for the privilege of selling a game, they provide many dev tools and services which I don't think Epic does or ever will. They can barely keep up with the infrastructure their own game requires.. I don't know that it's worth it for every dev for the price you pay on Steam, but it's not a simple matter of "they should only charge 12%, too." How many games from 10+ years ago wouldn't have a working online component if they weren't on Steamworks or converted to it from defunct services like Gamespy, GFWL, etc.?

News Comments > Epic Games Store Building Ahead of Steam
2. Re: Epic Games Store Building Ahead of Steam Dec 9, 2018, 13:12 jacobvandy

Never heard of this game... I know Team 17 does games other than Worms, but I don't think I've ever played any. Bigger news to me is that Satisfactory will be exclusive to Epic.  

News Comments > Epic Games Store Launches
8. Re: Epic Games Store Launches Dec 7, 2018, 12:36 jacobvandy

HoSpanky wrote:
I donít know if Iíll buy much on it, but for small dev games, itís a better deal for the devs, thereís no way to argue against that. The only game in that category that Iím interested in is Satisfactory, which has a very high chance of being on the Epic store when it launches.

Coffee Stain is not a small dev anymore, after the millions they made from Goat Simulator (on Steam). They've since begun publishing other indies, too, and just a few weeks ago they were acquired by THQ Nordic.

News Comments > Starbreeze Insider Trading Raid and Arrest
3. Re: Starbreeze Insider Trading Raid and Arrest Dec 5, 2018, 13:13 jacobvandy

Oh dang, they're done then. Even if the criminals are gone, it's hard to build your reputation back up after something like this. They were already fighting to recover from previous backlash over Payday 2, so combined with a double pump and dump (stock and the new game), Starbreeze, Overkill, and anyone else associated might as well hang it up because their names are officially mud.  

News Comments > Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties
12. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 13:11 jacobvandy

I noticed a couple days ago that they'd updated their launcher to be more busy and convoluted... All that did was prompt me to create desktop shortcuts directly to what I want to play so I don't have to deal with it anymore. I only use Epic's client because that is the only way to access Fortnite and the new UT, and everyone I know feels the same. I'm not interested in another storefront unless this better revenue split leads to better discounts, which I doubt will be the case very often.  

News Comments > Starbreeze Reorganizing; CEO Leaves
6. Re: Starbreeze Reorganizing; CEO Leaves Dec 3, 2018, 14:05 jacobvandy

Stretching your company so thinly that one lukewarm reception is enough to start it crumbling sounds pretty irresponsible to me. Whether those suits at the top are leaving on their own or being thrown out, it's probably for the best.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Free Fly Week Earns $7M
6. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week Earns $7M Dec 2, 2018, 14:57 jacobvandy

Earlyworm wrote on Dec 2, 2018, 14:28:
so.. they have revenue 2011 - 2018 for approximately the same amount as Fortnite brought in for the first 20 days of May this year. Why is the money spent on this game so hot topic?

I reckon it's because Fortnite is actually played by what's gotta be close to a billion people by now, a number that has steadily risen in the year and a half it's existed as a fully-playable game receiving frequent updates. Star Citizen has bilked an average of $95 out of a couple million weirdos with little more than promises throughout its crowdfunding campaign that has carried on for the better part of the last decade.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Nov 30, 2018, 03:12 jacobvandy

I think missing a verbal emphasis in that sentence left it open to some interpretation... He's not questioning who made the apps, but their quality.  

News Comments > Artifact Launches
4. Re: Artifact Launches Nov 29, 2018, 02:37 jacobvandy

Top 10 game on Steam (#4 currently), so you can't really say nobody is playing. We shall see if that holds.  

News Comments > Fallout 76 Update Plans
12. Re: Fallout 76 Update Plans Nov 27, 2018, 22:43 jacobvandy

robdot wrote on Nov 27, 2018, 20:06:
The personal weight limit needs some fix. Your always overweight,or your weapon is broken,or armor is broken, your hungry,your thirsty. Your encumbered. Your weapon is broken. Your armor is broken. Your hungry. Your thirsty. Your radiated. Your encumbered. Your weapon is broken. On and fucking on. This single aspect needs fixed before the game can be any fun at all.

Welcome to the survival game genre.. Constantly managing that kind of stuff is fun for some people. Makes you feel vulnerable and like you're struggling just to be alive, so then being fit enough to actually do stuff is more of an accomplishment. If it doesn't appeal to you, you should probably find something else to play.

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Nov 27, 2018, 09:22 jacobvandy

Wait, did you seriously think FO76 was supposed to be a proper sequel? They made it pretty clear from the moment it was announced that it's a multiplayer spin-off, a side project for them to poop out quickly while they work on their next actual RPG. I guess that's why people are so disappointed, if they didn't know that...

This comment was edited on Nov 27, 2018, 09:41.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2018, 11:01 jacobvandy

Cyber Monday is pretty lame, like Steam sales without the flash deals. Although I did see a few of the game discounts at Best buy persisted (most were reduced), and today my gamer's club discount stacks on that when it didn't on Friday. So that's kind of nice.  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
2. Re: Saturday Metaverse Nov 24, 2018, 22:26 jacobvandy

You gotta be pret-ty lonely to wanna live with any one of those, let alone all three. I wouldn't take any advice from that sort of lunatic.  

News Comments > CDPR Aims for RDR2 Refinement in Cyberpunk 2077
3. Re: CDPR Aims for RDR2 Refinement in Cyberpunk 2077 Nov 24, 2018, 14:36 jacobvandy

User scores are far from accurate, so long as droves of no-life turd burglars use them as a platform to express political opinions rather than comment on the quality of the game itself... And then another huge portion of the rest of them are either 10s from people who like it or 0s from people who don't. There is very little objectivity on display there, whereas the critics at least pretend to have some.

Case in point, RDR2 user reviews are full of submissions like this:

1 - Really good game , but it's unavailable on PC. I can't understand why Rockstar didn't release it on PC , they could have a lot of profit from this

Others give similar scores for not having voiced dialog in their native language, not running native 4K resolution, not having enough action, having clunky controls... these are legitimate complaints, but giving a 0/10 score for them (often while praising other aspects of the game) just makes you look like a baby throwing a tantrum.

News Comments > The Crew 2 November Vehicle Drop
2. Re: The Crew 2 November Vehicle Drop Nov 22, 2018, 03:46 jacobvandy

Don't bother, this game is to its predecessor as Dirt 2 & 3 were to Dirt 1. Doesn't surprise me that wheel support is lacking when they are so clearly not targeting that sort of player.  

4288 Comments. 215 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo