Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 3693 (Veteran)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Feb 1, 2017, 15:42 jacobvandy

That's true, it's not only "people who buy all their games" and "people who refuse to buy any games." Plenty are somewhere in the middle, where they buy some games and pirate others when it's convenient.

It's a crazy anomaly though, in the age of Denuvo, for a major release like this to be cracked so quickly. It used to be that waiting up to a week for a crack was commonplace, it was expected that that would happen for every game if it hadn't already been done on the first day. But now when it takes months or sometimes even longer... That's a long-ass time for people who are interested in playing the game to think, "well, I guess I'm gonna have to buy this one."

I don't know if this means Denuvo is dead, or if someone just got lucky and/or caught them being complacent. But it's a big hit to the company's reputation, for sure. It's not just the extra sales from would-be pirates that are benefiting these major publishers, it's the intimidation factor that - as mentioned in the article - has been working to discourage some hacker groups from even trying anymore.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Content Next Week
4. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Content Next Week Feb 1, 2017, 12:59 jacobvandy

Heart of Thorns is amazing, every map has its own unique global event that happens every 1-2 hours with multiple different branches of dynamic quests in between, and several different bosses that are all more tactically challenging than most of what you see in the base game. If you're familiar with the post-game areas that were added before HoT was released, where there's always stuff going on, that's kind of what it's like all over the expansion. Fully exploring each map and completing the achievements for them will keep you busy for a lot longer even than it takes to go through the story, which itself is structured much like the very well done LWS2. All of the campaign is very solo-friendly except for the very end, where it ties into the final map's global event that requires several large groups of organized players. At least you don't have to queue up for it like the base game's final dungeon, though.

And don't forget the new Revenant class, as well as elite specializations for all the others, some of which completely change the playstyle you may have been used to before. (I love the mobility and hard-hitting AOE attacks of the bo-staff wielding Thief!) There are masteries for the base game, too, including ones that guide you through crafting a legendary weapon step-by-step. It's still very expensive, but it removes the aspect of extreme RNG in finding the 'precursor' weapon drop you need that is then transformed into the legendary you want. It's well worth the $30, IMO.

I've fallen behind on LWS3, have still yet to complete the first chapter, although I have fully explored Bloodstone Fen. But like the previous season, logging in during its release period is all you need to do to unlock it for your account for free, and you can go back and play it any time after that.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Morrowind Announced
6. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Morrowind Announced Feb 1, 2017, 00:34 jacobvandy

Fion wrote on Feb 1, 2017, 00:24:
I haven't played this since beta and the open beta was pretty bad. A buggy mess, with a half-cocked tutorial & WoW style kill/fetch/fedex quests everywhere.

That said, I have a few friends who play who say it's a very solid B2P MMO at the moment and the addition of Morrowind makes me want to pick the game up when I find a good sale.

The most fun I've had with this game was just ignoring quests altogether and trekking across the landscape, sightseeing while fighting random mobs and gathering resources. Eventually it became a bit tricky because I wasn't leveling fast enough to keep up with the areas I was reaching, but that was before the major update that made everything scale to you (or the other way around, whatever).

The group dungeons are pretty cool, too, though. Some of them are public ones that you can just wander into and kill stuff along with people even if you're not in a party. Each one has a bunch of open-ended objectives that encourage you to explore the whole thing.

News Comments > Evening Patches
1. Re: Evening Patches Jan 31, 2017, 20:46 jacobvandy

Oh lawd... saving load-outs and dedicated crafting materials storage tab in Diablo! But also another new tier of increasingly rarer legendary... I'll call it a win, with an asterisk.  

News Comments > Fallout 4 Hi-Rez Texture Pack Next Week
10. Re: Fallout 4 Hi-Rez Texture Pack Next Week Jan 31, 2017, 01:57 jacobvandy

I'm not impressed by the screenshot they've shown so far... I'll just wait until someone re-optimizes that ridiculous stack of data larger than the game itself into a tenth the size without any noticeable loss of quality.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 29, 2017, 18:21 jacobvandy

GinRummy wrote on Jan 29, 2017, 14:22:
Usually a two-fer like that right on release is because one listing is for pre-purchases and the other is for post-release sales.

That doesn't happen unless they're different entries in the Steam database. Often it's a standard and deluxe edition, which it most likely was with RE7 this week. There must have been some special offer for Tales of Berseria pre-orders that merited it being technically a different product.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 28, 2017, 13:58 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on Jan 28, 2017, 02:45:
I think 'drop' is a verb, but it IS a bit out of place.

Nah, it's an adjective. A drop address is one used to receive packages or mail at a place you don't actually have residence in, for reasons of protecting your real personal information.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 28, 2017, 02:33 jacobvandy

Presently $702k pledged by 11,950 backers. It's kind of confusing the way they muddy up stats with whatever creative way they choose to display how much Fig itself is providing, though...

Right now it says an additional $634k is "The anticipated amount that Fig will directly fund the developer for the development of the game, from its working capital funded in part by the investment proceeds. The Fig Funds may increase during the campaign, up to a cap agreed to with the developer." Whatever that means.

News Comments > Valve vs Team Fortress 2 Gambling
4. Re: Valve vs Team Fortress 2 Gambling Jan 28, 2017, 02:18 jacobvandy

CrabbyGnome wrote on Jan 28, 2017, 01:55:
DUnno why they care so much about this. If people want to gamble on stupid hats in TF2 then let them.

They're forced to care when some gambling sites make major headlines for ripping people off and then regulatory commissions start coming after them. It's an amazing boon for Valve that this has been happening because it spurs interest in the games and generates more activity on the item marketplace, but now that the fun police (government officials) are taking notice, they have to take actions against it to cover their asses legally.

News Comments > 25M Overwatch Players
8. Re: 25M Overwatch Players Jan 27, 2017, 16:05 jacobvandy

Shit, if I made a game played by 25 million people (well, accounts anyway), I'd be proud of that, too. It's the same way Blue should be proud of a billion hits on this site, even though we all know its long past its prime. It's the kind of milestone very few people can say they've reached.  

News Comments > Avengers Game Revealed
1. Re: Avengers Game Revealed Jan 26, 2017, 12:00 jacobvandy

Sounds like it could be an MMO, but that would be weird if they want to let you play as the Avengers. But then, with those dev studios, it could also be a series of very pretty action-adventures (hope this doesn't keep them from putting out other games, though). Too bad Squenix is taking the Final Fantasy approach with this one, lol, teasing it years too soon... It'll be a while before we find out.  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Breach and VR Experience for Free
8. Re: Deus Ex: Breach and VR Experience for Free Jan 25, 2017, 14:06 jacobvandy

MattyC wrote on Jan 25, 2017, 09:47:
jacobvandy wrote on Jan 24, 2017, 21:17:
Breach is a pile of freemium crap (complete with randomized microtransactions), which is a shame

Ah, oh well :/

I was curious exactly what Breach was because that blurb doesn't really tell me, but I guess now I know.

The gameplay is stage after stage of timed challenges, where you have to get past guards and turrets and a few puzzle elements to "hack servers" (press E to tag objectives) or kill a boss or whatever. But getting a score high enough to meet their bonus objectives more often than not requires you use these consumable cards that give you a multiplier for adhering to certain requirements. Such as 1.5x for not taking damage or 1.8x for not being detected. Then of course there are cards that give you an advantage, IIRC some give you a negative multiplier (0.8x for boosting max health, etc.) but some are just straight up cheats that make it a lot easier with no penalty.

You can buy shitty cards with the credits that you earn while playing, or you pay real money for the premium currency that gets you a ton of high quality cards. All in random booster pack form. Oh and they sell better equipment in the shop, too, including weapons. So you can start off with the piece of junk they give you for free and grind your ass off hoping to get a lucky drop that is slightly better, or just fork out some cash and play the whole thing with the very best weapons from the start.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Breach and VR Experience for Free
1. Re: Deus Ex: Breach and VR Experience for Free Jan 24, 2017, 21:17 jacobvandy

Breach is a pile of freemium crap (complete with randomized microtransactions), which is a shame because they probably spent money that should have just been used making more content for Mankind Divided. It was good, but seemed significantly shorter to me than Human Revolution...

I'm going through Rise of the Tomb Raider now, and it also has a separate gameplay mode with attached microtransactions. I wonder how long it'll be until that's released standalone? I still enjoy their games, but I do not like the way Square Enix is heading with all of this.

News Comments > Diablo III Postmortem
6. Re: Diablo III Postmortem Jan 23, 2017, 22:56 jacobvandy

Pfft, you haven't lived unless you beat pre-nerf Inferno.  

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jan 22, 2017, 18:38 jacobvandy

It probably won't help you shoot better IRL if you're lacking the coordination and dexterity for the skill to begin with, but video games do teach you what ironsights are and how to use them. That's a big advantage over someone who thinks it's like the movies where you just point the tip of the barrel in the general direction of what you want to hit.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
34. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 20, 2017, 13:37 jacobvandy

El Pit wrote on Jan 20, 2017, 12:17:
What happened in Somalia, Iraq, Afghanistan? YOU LOST! The whole world lost!

I agree, but the fact is we didn't go there to "win." We went there to be there, and that's all. People still don't seem to get that, and it's a shame... War is profitable for evil people, especially a half-assed one that drags on for years. And the best way to make that happen is to not even have a real enemy. America is unstoppable, alright, so unstoppable it gets bored with not having anyone to fight and has been coming up with bullshit excuses to stomp around on the playground since WW2 ended.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 20, 2017, 03:19 jacobvandy

What I'm left wondering is, why does HBO care about ratings (simultaneous viewership) when they're a premium subscription service? They get paid whether people watch or not. They've already embraced watching on your own schedule by creating HBO Go, so why still insist on releasing new content one episode at a time? Is it to try and lessen the still way too damn long breaks between seasons?  

News Comments > Diablo III Season 9 Underway
11. Re: Diablo III Season 9 Underway Jan 19, 2017, 17:43 jacobvandy

Yeah... It was the expansion that added the rifts and Adventure Mode, which allows you to freely roam all over the world map however you like doing side missions instead of following the storyline.  

4. Re: Diablo III Season 9 Underway Jan 19, 2017, 12:52 jacobvandy

VaranDragon wrote on Jan 19, 2017, 11:46:
This shit with the seasons has got to be some of the most convulted shit that was ever produced at Blizzard. It's like they sought to distance themselves as far as possible from anything even remotely related to Diablo2 or the previous Battle.net experience. *sigh*

They used to be called ladders...

1. Re: Diablo III Season 9 Underway Jan 19, 2017, 10:37 jacobvandy

This happened two weeks ago!  

3693 Comments. 185 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo