Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 3419 (Veteran)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > EVE Online F2P Launches
14. Re: EVE Online F2P Launches Nov 15, 2016, 22:29 jacobvandy

No kidding... I liked what I've played of EVE, I was first in a null-sec corp for a few months and later did the solo missions thing until I earned a battleship from scratch. But there are TONS of people on there who fuck with you just for kicks. I guess they feel pretty strongly that you shouldn't be allowed to feel safe like you can in other MMOs that have PVE-only servers or designated PVP zones.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
3. Re: Sunday Metaverse Nov 13, 2016, 13:51 jacobvandy

El Pit wrote on Nov 13, 2016, 13:47:
suddenly there is only one truth and that is forged by the regime government.

Where have you been? That's already in America for at least the past 20 years. You don't have to imprison critics when you have such a strong grip on the media with which to brainwash the vast majority of the population into thinking said critics are simply whackjobs.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 11, 2016, 17:17 jacobvandy

It's pretty cool that the NES manuals are on the site like that for anyone to view. Good luck finding one of these new Classic consoles though... The page isn't even coming up on Amazon right now.  

News Comments > More BlizzCon Announcement Details
13. Re: More BlizzCon Announcement Details Nov 5, 2016, 14:11 jacobvandy

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 5, 2016, 13:33:
Diablo 3 is inherently flawed, because of the extreme focus on Primary stat, and overpowered damage bonuses to skills from sets. The entire game is thrown out of whack by the massive damage/hp inflation.

Until those issues get fixed, everything else is just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

*Disclaimer* easily 1000+ hours in D3, all classes combined.

Diablo 3's engine is great, the graphics are fine(to me, at least), but it'll take a developer with some balls to squish down the insane numbers and make more builds viable again.

I don't see that happening with Blizzard's D or E team in charge of Diablo 3, all their top talent is on Overwatch, WoW, Hearthstone, etc.

The power creep didn't happen by accident... It was a conscious decision by them to avoid the relentless bitching whenever one class or another ended up being nerfed.

So everyone gets buffs, this class and that one get extra buff next time because they're a little behind, whoops now everyone is so strong we have to add new difficulty levels, more buffs, and the cycle repeats. For the most part I think people are happy with that.

Not that they've stopped nerfs completely, some things are so brokenly OP that they have to be reined in (like Wiz's energy twister after they added that sword). And they recently showed plenty of testicular fortitude when they nerfed group buff skills across the board in an attempt to diversify group compositions. Everyone at the high end was running 3 supports with 1 designated DPS guy and just stacked buffs on and healed him. Blizz thought that was pretty lame and I agree - like I think most average players would - but they pissed off a good number of people with that change.

You're right in that there's about a snowball's chance in hell of them undoing the past few years of power creep. But they don't have to. Kanai's Cube opened up loads of possibilities, and they changed that one pair of rings to boost your damage and toughness to pretty competitive levels if you're wearing enough ancient legendaries. The entire game is not out of whack, you just probably won't be able to top the leaderboards in your refusal to accept that they've designated armor sets to be the de facto end-game goal in gear.

News Comments > More BlizzCon Announcement Details
5. Re: More BlizzCon Announcement Details Nov 5, 2016, 00:20 jacobvandy

Yeah, obviously we don't have all the details yet but from what you can see, he's targeting specific enemies with those skeletons. As long as the spells and such are satisfying to use and similarly precise (as opposed to the WD style of spamming AOEs and random, indirect damage), Necro will be plenty different enough.  

News Comments > Diablo III Classic Diablo Mode & Necromancer Announced
10. Re: Diablo III Classic Diablo Mode & Necromancer Announced Nov 4, 2016, 16:48 jacobvandy

Suppa7 wrote on Nov 4, 2016, 15:58:
Putting classic diablo inside diablo 3 engine is a bad idea. Not to mention the online drm. Diablo 3 was the most hated diablo because it took everything people like about it and up ended it.

People have a problem because the graphics/art direction in diablo 3 is just too different from the prior two, D3 feels like a spin off game and not a true sequel to diablo.

The time between diablo 2 and 3 was almost a decade or more, that's just too long to do a proper sequel when the original teams are long gone. A different set of people did diablo 3 and you can tell. The expansion sold maybe a million and something... That's not a lot when diablo 3 sold 30 million units. 30 million units! And like 1.5 mill expansion. That pretty much sums up peoples disappointment with the game when your expansion doesn't even do 1/10 the sales.

The 30 million figure includes base game, expansion, and the updated console versions that have both, so we don't know that breaks down to each individual product. However, we do know that RoS sold 2.7 million in its first week... Does that change your opinion at all, or was pulling numbers out of your ass just an afterthought to all of that salt?

News Comments > SAG-AFTRA Picketing WB Games Today
4. Re: SAG-AFTRA Picketing WB Games Today Nov 3, 2016, 14:21 jacobvandy

xxzone wrote on Nov 3, 2016, 14:16:
These guys are all talk....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRLvqUbeU9o

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 3, 2016, 01:00 jacobvandy

I'm glad they went bankrupt just because of how douchey their CEO is/was. Good for Hulkster being able to squeeze even that much out of them (it was pretty clear he wasn't gonna get the full $140 mil anyway).

However, AFAIK, this deal with the sex tape is far from over... Already in motion is another suit against all the little pissants who facilitated it getting to Gawker in the first place, as well as the company who was oblivious to them doing so on company time and computers, Cox Radio. A gentleman from big-time NYC talent agency Don Buchwald & Associates is also involved.

News Comments > Diablo III Necromancer Spotted?
12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2016, 13:26 jacobvandy

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 1, 2016, 12:33:
Leave the Diablo franchise alone (or at least take it in a new direction). Just think it's too soon for them to push out another Diablo game unless they really come at it hard with new ideas, otherwise your going to end up with a Call of Duty situation where they pump out a new one every year.

Not sure if serious...

Just because it hasn't been 10+ years like the previous gap doesn't mean it's too soon, lol. If they announce a sequel it probably won't be out until 2018 anyway.

I still think it's more likely another expansion, though.

News Comments > Skyrim Special Edition Audio Fix Coming
41. Re: Skyrim Special Edition Audio Fix Coming Oct 31, 2016, 22:07 jacobvandy

Kxmode wrote on Oct 31, 2016, 21:19:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 31, 2016, 19:46:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 31, 2016, 18:46:
Never implied they broke their game. I simply said not including support for mods from the original Skyrim is a mistake. :)
Mods are not the responsibility of Bethesda. If they get broke, it's up to the mod maker to fix his or her mod.

As someone who made a WOW addon, I found your statement to be half true. Absolutely, it is incumbent upon mod authors to keep their mods updated. However, it's also up to the developers not to radically change their engine. Blizzard at least keeps addon devs in the loop via the PTR, and alpha and beta servers for upcoming expansions. AFAIK Beth didn't do this for mod devs.

According to the guys who work on the Unofficial Skyrim Patch (which was available in an SE version day one), at least some mod makers had two weeks of a beta period to get their stuff ready for the launch.

News Comments > Shadow Warrior 2 Collector's Edition
1. Re: Shadow Warrior 2 Collector's Edition Oct 31, 2016, 20:47 jacobvandy

Holy shit, really? Only $15 (including shipping) to upgrade from digital version to a fancy CE box? I'm jumping on that right now!

Edit: Well shit, I can't get the transaction to go through... I hope they're not sold out already.

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 2016, 21:00.

28. Re: Skyrim Special Edition Audio Fix Coming Oct 31, 2016, 17:14 jacobvandy

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 31, 2016, 16:59:
I meant the Special Edition. Skyrim with mods STILL looks better then the SE out of the box. I thought they might throw in some better draw distances etc, but nope.

I'm about 90% sure that 64-bit will allow for much higher draw distances without becoming super unstable. Referring to manually tweaking the uGrids, how many sections of the map in a radius around the player are active with NPCs and full detail rendering at one time. There has never been an official option to change those in any of these games, for several reasons beyond the comprehension or concern of the average player.

There's a lot more open space and elevation changes in Skyrim compared to Fallout, which is why I don't think a really high number is needed in the latter. I play FO4 with it set to 7 (default is 5), but in Skyrim something more like 11 or 13 can be desirable. The problem historically has been the hamstringed performance and frequent crashing due to memory limitations. I'm looking forward to doing some testing on that in the near future.

14. Re: Skyrim Special Edition Audio Fix Coming Oct 31, 2016, 13:40 jacobvandy

ItBurn wrote on Oct 31, 2016, 11:47:
I've played this for a couple of hours. Absolutely no reason to get this on PC other than if you never played the game. The game barely looks better, it's hard to tell. Graphic mods will make it look much better. If you're missing DLCs, just get the individual DLCs. Also, as far as I can tell, you seem forced to use the in-game mod browser to get your mods, and it sucks. I mean, it works, but it's the worst interface of all time, which is normal coming from Beth. Also, some mods are absent, like the vital SkyUI. Not sure if it's because the mods from the ingame interface are limited(no extended scripting). Maybe you can still mod manually, I don't know... On consoles though, this version is a major upgrade in every way.

The included graphics tweaks are minor, sure, but 64-bit changes EVERYTHING in a game that relies so heavily on CPU and memory for performance. Skyrim is still the most popular mod scene by orders of magnitude, so all it's gonna take is a bit of time to start feeling out what has been made possible by this upgrade. Already you can expect fewer crashes and improved framerates, especially in situations where there are lots of objects on-screen. And as seen in this video, it even has drastic ramifications for AI... Whereas before a huge battle would bog you down and there was even a limit to how many NPCs could actively engage, now it's smooth as butter and everyone's invited: https://youtu.be/T6EjcESYIXk?t=135

And of course you can still mod manually, lol, you're not really modding unless you go to Nexus Mods. Their mod manager app has already been updated to support SSE, hundreds of mods have been ported over this past weekend... The main thing we're waiting on is for SKSE to be updated, which they say may take a while because of the switch to 64-bit.

News Comments > Batman - The Telltale Series Episode 1 Free
9. Re: Batman - The Telltale Series Episode 1 Free Oct 29, 2016, 14:00 jacobvandy

Hmm, it says it's a demo, and it doesn't seem you get to keep it if you uninstall. So not a giveaway, but a free weekend. Oh, well, not like I care that much.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 28, 2016, 15:18 jacobvandy

CrimsonPaw wrote on Oct 28, 2016, 10:39:
Love me some Skyrim, but I refuse to pay $60 for a 5 year old game. I'll grab this when it's $40. Looking forward to playing Titanfall 2 later on today though!

Er, Skyrim Special Edition on Steam is already only $40. They also have a discounted bundle going that brings the price of the base game and all DLC down to that, so if you already have one or more of those items, you can complete the set and unlock the SE for less. For instance, I already have Skyrim + Dragonborn, so I can get Dawnguard and Hearthfire for $15 (down from $25), which would then give me the new version.

News Comments > Titanfall 2 Released - No Season Pass
9. Re: Titanfall 2 Released - No Season Pass Oct 28, 2016, 13:11 jacobvandy

Jerykk wrote on Oct 28, 2016, 12:22:
The only reason EA wouldn't do a season pass is if they weren't very confident in the game's sales.

This. Sales for the first game were so shitty they ended up giving away all the DLC for free.

News Comments > Clockwork Empires Released
3. Re: Clockwork Empires Released Oct 27, 2016, 12:45 jacobvandy

There was a crapton of post-release support for Dungeons of Dredmor, so I wouldn't be too concerned that they're just going to desert this one now that it's out of EA. It's staying on my wishlist for now, but I look forward to checking it out eventually... Even from the previews you could tell it's chock full of Gaslamp's signature humor.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 26, 2016, 15:19 jacobvandy

They're also doing a Windows 10 VR headset, which is not HoloLens.  

News Comments > Turtle Rock Evolves Past Evolve
13. Re: Turtle Rock Evolves Past Evolve Oct 26, 2016, 14:56 jacobvandy

nin wrote on Oct 26, 2016, 09:08:
Wallshadows wrote on Oct 26, 2016, 09:02:
I am sure they are absolutely devastated by this.

So I thought the whole reason they left Valve was to have their own IP? Did they sell Evolve to 2k? Or did 2K own it to begin with?

Evolve was the last idea that THQ invested in, they owned it, and then 2K picked it up at their bankruptcy auction. Turtle Rock's ambition to make AAA games with a very small core team apparently outweighs their desire to own their IPs; they give that up for the publisher support of money and additional devs.

They're supposedly working on something new, though, and will probably release on Steam EA, so it could be they're going the indie route now.

News Comments > Morning Patches
6. Re: Morning Patches Oct 25, 2016, 22:41 jacobvandy

I reinstalled this and will be checking out the changes as soon as I can pull myself away from Civ. I really like the idea of making the open world uniformly more difficult so that it's still rewarding to roam at the end game, and if they're truly making it less of a slog to kill enemies, my interest is rekindled. I may even pick up some DLC if I like how it goes...  

3419 Comments. 171 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo