Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 3640 (Veteran)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II May Feature Microtransactions
3. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II May Feature Microtransactions Jun 11, 2017, 14:24 jacobvandy

Even though it's EA and chances are decent he's right, it's still baseless speculation, especially the implication with battle points. They may have unlocker packs for class progression, but I'm pretty sure the BP system is analogous to kill streak rewards in Call of Duty. They're not a persistent in-game currency, you have to start over earning them each match and it works to escalate the conflict after a duration, with the summoning of vehicles and heroes. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot again if they let people pay money to spawn as Darth Maul right out of the gate, or pay enough money to continue playing him the entire match.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Trailer Leak
14. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Trailer Leak Jun 10, 2017, 16:30 jacobvandy

I skipped the last one because of the mediocre reviews, but everything they're saying about this sequel is starting to pique my interest again. New, original story in an offline campaign, loads more MP content from across the entire saga, no more power-up token bullshit, free DLC...  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2017, 13:52 jacobvandy

Don't feel bad for returning 90% of a product you're not happy with. Some people shamelessly demand their money back for a bag of chips or whatever after they already ate more than half of it, like it took them that long to figure out they weren't satisfied, lol.

Unless it was really cheap, like under a dollar per "drink" (is this stuff like Go-Gurt for grown-ups or what?), then I'd just be too lazy to bother. More Jerry than Kramer, I guess, just learn the lesson and move on.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2017, 19:46 jacobvandy

*shrug* It reads fairly balanced to me, probably since it's local news station from OK. They point out the study doesn't account for various other dietary factors that may contribute to the differences, so it doesn't mean real milk is god's gift to healthy children. It's just that people might think that if the non-dairy stuff is better for adults (which is judged on having less saturated fat or cholesterol, etc) that that means it's better for their growing kids, too, when that may not be the case. Especially when there's no regulation on what a milk substitute is or what it contains, it's easy to make the mistake of assuming they're nutritionally equivalent.

As for the health of the dairy industry in general, consumption per capita in the US has increased in the past 20 years. The drinking of fluid milk has declined about 25%, but it's more than been made up for in how much yogurt and cheese people eat. https://www.ers.usda.gov/webdocs/DataFiles/48685/pcconsp_1_.xlsx

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2017, 18:40 jacobvandy

bigspender wrote on Jun 8, 2017, 18:06:
Study Finds Children Who Drink Non-Dairy Milk Shorter Than Peers.

Ah yes, the death throes of the dairy industry. It won't be long now until cows milk is a delicacy instead of a staple.

Nobody want's to drink your abuse juice anymore. Given that 1/2 of the world already doesn't and never did drink it, and they still don't get osteoporosis there is no reason to drink cows milk.

I'm not sure if you really comprehended that incorrectly or you just didn't bother to read even the whole headline after scanning and being triggered by one or two words... Calcium is never even mentioned in the article, btw.

News Comments > SOYF: S#!T ON YOUR FRIENDS
10. Re: SOYF: S#!T ON YOUR FRIENDS Jun 7, 2017, 18:31 jacobvandy

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jun 7, 2017, 17:52:
the only actual relation to shit in the game (besides the game being absolute shit) is that the projectiles are brown and make fart noises when you hit people.

Well yeah, there's only so much you can do in that regard until smell-o-vision comes along...

News Comments > Magic: The Gathering RPG Plans
2. Re: Magic: The Gathering RPG Plans Jun 7, 2017, 12:48 jacobvandy

So is it gonna be like Pokemon, wandering around an overworld until you lock eyes with an opponent and engage in a turn-based creature battle?  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 5, 2017, 16:53 jacobvandy

Headline is overstating it, even according to the data provided, but they do have a point. I don't watch eSports but I don't really watch traditional ones, either, since I don't have broadcast TV hooked up in my home... My little brother is in college now, and he's solidly into that target audience of those who have always had zero interest in watching sports, yet keep a second monitor with streamers or competitions showing on it pretty much all the time.

I don't think it's a stretch at all to say that traditional sports are in for a big crash before they get to Super Bowl C. Their hardcore fans will continue dying off and so will they as an industry if they don't figure out how to spark that interest in more young people.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2017, 11:57 jacobvandy

Yup, they're definitely overcompensating, but it's better than the alternative.  

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Jun 3, 2017, 15:35 jacobvandy

Haha, forget the head bob, what about seeing the fierce ballet of Geralt during combat in first person? They don't show any of that in the videos, but it's gotta be pretty awful.  

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Jun 2, 2017, 15:53 jacobvandy

Yeah, looking at their list of titles and working backwards, you can see they do plenty of newer and different things. Just because their formulaic open-world action games (and Just Dance) are the most popular, that doesn't mean the rest don't exist. In the past few years they've done For Honor, South Park, Eagle Flight (VR), Grow Up/Home, Steep, The Crew, Child of Light, and my personal favorite, Rocksmith.  

News Comments > They Are Billions Announced
4. Re: They Are Billions Announced Jun 1, 2017, 23:59 jacobvandy

Holy shit... A town-building strategy game with thousands of units that take up physical space (chokepoints!) on-screen at once? Yeah, this is going on the wishlist.  

News Comments > Diablo III Necromancer Cinematics
6. Re: Diablo III Necromancer Cinematics Jun 1, 2017, 23:47 jacobvandy

I got into the beta last week and played a couple hours so far. Blowing up corpses and the chain reactions you can set up is as fun as ever, but I wasn't expecting them to go old school with the generic "Corpse" props appearing after an enemy dies. I thought maybe they'd let you manipulate the actual corpses (or even have varying effects for the type or size of monster it used to be), since they are physical objects in the game world now that are capable of persisting for a while. In that case they'd probably need to tone down the way they fly across the screen after big damage bursts, but still, I think it would have been cool.  

News Comments > Dungeon Defenders II This Month
2. Re: Dungeon Defenders II This Month Jun 1, 2017, 18:27 jacobvandy

A lot has changed in the past year, gameplay-wise. I haven't been keeping up with it very closely, but it seems I get newsletters pretty frequently about big balance passes and new major features. It's a bit different because they seem to be actively avoiding making it possible to AFK farm like so many people used to do, but still loads of fun, IMO.

I don't think free-to-play is a negative here, though... They sell new characters just like they did for the first game, except now you can also earn them with in-game currency if you want to. Other than that it's mostly just costume stuff (also like the first game) and extra inventory space for the hoarders. As far as I know, they won't be selling new levels or anything like they used to, either.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 1, 2017, 16:58 jacobvandy

Enahs wrote on Jun 1, 2017, 16:28:
jacobvandy wrote on Jun 1, 2017, 14:01:
Bing may be so horrible that Microsoft has been needing to pay people to use it for years, but I do miss the good old days of getting real prizes in exchange for inflating their traffic numbers. I was too late to get a free Xbox (or two, or three, as it was apparently not too difficult to do), but I did get several retail copies of Vista Ultimate, a couple of wireless 360 controllers, a pretty nice webcam, a few DVD versions of MS-published PC games of the era... Just for running macros on their stupid mini-games all day.

What is wrong with the 2-3, $5 Amazon gift cards a month?!

Nothing, I guess, if you like to use Bing and Edge all the time anyway. It's just nothing compared to the hundreds or thousands of dollars of swag you used to be able to get in the same span of time, lol.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 1, 2017, 14:01 jacobvandy

Bing may be so horrible that Microsoft has been needing to pay people to use it for years, but I do miss the good old days of getting real prizes in exchange for inflating their traffic numbers. I was too late to get a free Xbox (or two, or three, as it was apparently not too difficult to do), but I did get several retail copies of Vista Ultimate, a couple of wireless 360 controllers, a pretty nice webcam, a few DVD versions of MS-published PC games of the era... Just for running macros on their stupid mini-games all day.  

News Comments > Ex-PAYDAY Devs: GTFO
7. Re: Ex-PAYDAY Devs: GTFO Jun 1, 2017, 13:31 jacobvandy

The guy's bio says he left Overkill in 2015, and Payday 2 jumped the shark in October of that year. Maybe he got out while the gettin' was good? Looks like the only other ex-Overkill guys involved (three) were doing art and music.  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls: Legends Launches
2. Re: The Elder Scrolls: Legends Launches May 31, 2017, 22:20 jacobvandy

Elder Scrolls VI isn't gonna happen for a while. They've said as recently as last year's E3 that it wasn't in development, only that it's something they'll be doing someday. According to a quote I've seen from Todd Howard, they don't even have the technology they need to do what they want to do with the next game. We know they're working on at least two other major projects that will be released first, which aren't Elder Scrolls or Fallout.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 30, 2017, 14:47 jacobvandy

eRe4s3r wrote on May 30, 2017, 11:53:
Is this a joke? Before the law, all are equal. What's next, passports removed from annoying reporters? Opposition party members?

That smells of fascism.

In fact, let me re-phrase that, this smell like Australia wants to become the 2nd Turkey.

You must be the one who's joking, there are already TONS of special restrictions that apply to sex offenders, not only in Australia but all over the world. This is just another one to add to the pile. Most people would say they deserve it, even though all sex offenders are generally treated the same regardless of the type or severity of the crime. It's actually kind of nice to see some of the worse ones being singled out here.

Did you read the article, though? They're looking to prevent people convicted of child sex offenses (currently 20,000 registered) from leaving the country, where they may try to abuse more children outside of their jurisdiction. Apparently many countries in south-east Asia have asked the Australian government to do something like this, in the wake of a major court case where an Aussie citizen was convicted of abusing 11 Indonesian girls. I'm not sure if he was a sex offender previous to that, but obviously they can only put restrictions on those who have already proven themselves to be that sort of scumbag.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
10. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup May 30, 2017, 14:32 jacobvandy

If you click through and see the logo, it looks like JUDGE but heavily stylized. They even pronounce it as "Judge" in the voiceover, so the text is just to differentiate it from the inspiration.  

3640 Comments. 182 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo