Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 3416 (Veteran)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
13. Re: Saturday Metaverse Mar 27, 2016, 03:28 jacobvandy

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 26, 2016, 17:29:
the job of a library is not to reduce it's contents, in fact this is EXACTLY the reason I do not use netflix. I want to have movies in my Kodi library unchanging and forever.

I can google the list, too, to see that they're adding about as many as they're taking away, including Clockwork Orange, Princess Bride, Shawshank Redemption, Scrooged, and V for Vendetta. Like I said, there is a certain amount of revolving door-ness. Of course, one month's changes doesn't tell the whole story, just like that pointless article.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
5. Re: Saturday Metaverse Mar 26, 2016, 15:03 jacobvandy

I still only pay $7.99 a month for Netflix, and we use it a lot around here... I would gladly pay $19.99 if that enabled them to license more and better content, without having to play that shuffle game where they alternate which high-profile content they have available at any one time. They're doing pretty well with their original stuff, but that's not why I subscribe.

As for the topic of the article, you can't just look at it in plain numbers. A huge amount of the titles on there are independent and straight-to-DVD crap, which they probably get a couple hundred of for the same price as a popular TV show or blockbuster film from the past 10 years. If nobody's watching them and they get pulled by the dozens, nobody cares, and it's no reason to panic.

News Comments > Atari Vault Opened
7. Re: Atari Vault Opened Mar 25, 2016, 13:26 jacobvandy

sauron wrote on Mar 25, 2016, 11:25:
The Half Elf wrote on Mar 25, 2016, 10:46:
considering the metric ton's of quarters I gave Atari during the 80's they should give me a copy.

LOL, same here. Looks fun, but missing a lot of the arcade classics I used to enjoy so much. I guess those IP don't belong to Atari.

So no Defender, Scramble, Galaxians, Galaga, Dig-Dug or Pac-Man, or variants thereof. And no Space Invaders.

Ooh, but it does have Red Baron, so yay! Although no Battlezone, so boo!

Most of those are from Namco, not Atari. They have their own series of compilation games called Namco Museum, which they've been churning out since the first PlayStation.

News Comments > Battleborn Open Beta Next Month; Online Only Requirement Revealed
9. Re: Battleborn Open Beta Next Month; Online Only Requirement Revealed Mar 23, 2016, 13:51 jacobvandy

They should just put all of this effort into the next Borderlands.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 22, 2016, 16:49 jacobvandy

Depends on your definition of "very little," I guess. They're showing it drains 10-12% of the battery in a day, just showing the clock on its face all the time while it's sitting on a table or whatever. I'd probably leave it off, it really doesn't bother me to press a button on my phone if I need to check the time on it. If you're out and about, the display is completely off while it's in your pocket and then would automatically come back on to show the time as soon as you take it out, so that's literally all it's saving you, one little button press.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Tiny Rube Goldberg Machine Mar 21, 2016, 15:08 jacobvandy

Eh, was kind of neat, but I don't think it qualifies to be called that when they're manually intervening in the process multiple times.  

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Mar 21, 2016, 13:27 jacobvandy

The clipping/holes are more to do with lag, I think. Don't know why, but I've had it happen before where I was running around an area that hadn't finished loading in, so I fell through the pavement way, way down to the bottom of the world space, looking up at all the level geometry from underneath. Where it finally gave me that "outside of playable area" warning and teleported me back to a safe house after 10 seconds. Then when you're trying to get into spots that you're not supposed to, lag can cause you to trick the game into letting you there by accident.

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 2016, 13:39.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 19, 2016, 03:21 jacobvandy

Gawker deserves it for publishing stolen property, but I still can't believe the people who actually stole it and gave it to them have yet to be brought up on charges.  

News Comments > Dying Light: The Following Community Bounty
1. Re: Dying Light: The Following Community Bounty Mar 17, 2016, 20:28 jacobvandy

That sounds pretty easy, it only takes a minute or two to run over 100 zombies driving around those open fields, so a couple thousand try-hards will knock it out in less than a day.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 17, 2016, 13:54 jacobvandy

Julio wrote on Mar 17, 2016, 13:16:
LarryLaffer wrote on Mar 17, 2016, 13:04:
For me it was all about Rock Band 4. I have close to $1,000 of DLC downloaded for Rock Band 4 and I wanted this all to transfer over for free from Xbox360 to Xbox 0ne.

I can see that one - I skipped Rock Band 4 partly because all my prior Rockband stuff was Xbox 360. I switched over to PS3 from Xbox 360 after Rockband. Harmonix might have made it a success and not be close to disappearing if they had allowed cross platform transfers.

Lol, I doubt it was Harmonix saying no to that. Imagine you're the dev who has to go to MS saying, "we estimate this many thousands of people would be interested in transferring their songs from PlayStation to Xbox, we need you to comp this many hundreds of thousands of dollars in DLC licenses, please, thanks."

News Comments > Tyranny Announced
6. Re: Tyranny Announced Mar 16, 2016, 02:06 jacobvandy

Cutter wrote on Mar 15, 2016, 23:56:
Hahaha! It looks like TRANNYGAME. Yeah, a CRPG about trap queens!

That's not what trap queen means, but otherwise you do have a fair point.

News Comments > Just Cause 3: Sky Fortress Takes Off
9. Re: Just Cause 3: Sky Fortress Takes Off Mar 15, 2016, 23:24 jacobvandy

I got 30 hours out of it, so that's plenty worth it to me. Loads of fun. The DLC, however, is better suited as an early-mid game side activity... Going back for that after 100%-ing the base game means it lasted about 1-2 hours before I was done and waiting for the next DLC. It'd be much better if this was available early on so that I could take that jet-boosted wingsuit with me to do all the other stuff in the game.  

News Comments > Tom Clancy's The Division Released
29. Re: Tom Clancy's The Division Released Mar 9, 2016, 02:12 jacobvandy

You have to stick with it until at least level 15 to start to see your character build come together, which is probably at least around 8 hours. Anything less than that and you've only demoed the game, not actually played it.

If you want, you can focus on pure offensive power and do enough damage to take out most enemies in one small burst or single headshot from a sniper rifle, and only bosses will slow you down. That's probably the best thing to do if you're playing solo. You have to make sure you're stacking the Firearms stat on your gear, every point of that is +1% bonus damage, when I hit level 15 I had about +350%. But you need to be skilled enough to make your shots count and make good use of cover because you're going to be squishy.

Not paying attention to what stats you are using is probably a big reason why people feel ineffective in combat. You'll switch to whatever gear items have the highest armor rating because that's the only number it shows on the quick view (flaw in the game, they could easily show small numbers instead of just green/red arrows), but then you find out you had all your points in health and skill power, which is why it takes so many bullets to kill someone. You only want skill power if you're trying to be a good healer or to make better use of gadgets like the sticky bomb and turret.

News Comments > Tom Clancy's The Division Released
23. Re: Tom Clancy's The Division Released Mar 8, 2016, 19:28 jacobvandy

Darks wrote on Mar 8, 2016, 17:05:
Undocumented Alien wrote on Mar 8, 2016, 17:01:
Cutter wrote on Mar 8, 2016, 16:55:
Tom Clancy's The Division Suffers Frustrating Launch As UPlay Servers Become Unavailable

Lol! So typically Ubisoft.

Diablo 3 had a horrible launch and it wasn't Ubisoft. Most games locked to online DRM do.

More hate mongering going on as usual. This was something that occurred last night for about 30 to 40 mins. after that the game has been nothing but stable. Same old bullshit of people trying to beat the drums of hate.

And by the way, the black screen and crashing is related to Nvidias newest driver. Dont blame the game for something Nvidia fucked up.

I avoided updating drivers because of the problems I heard about yesterday, but I still got the black screen a couple times on older drivers, 342.00 I believe. Updating to the newest ones from today fixed it for me.

News Comments > Overwatch May Dates Leaked?
15. Re: Overwatch May Dates Leaked? Mar 7, 2016, 17:19 jacobvandy

InBlack wrote on Mar 7, 2016, 16:06:
Talutha wrote on Mar 7, 2016, 13:29:
The cost of the game is $40 and all future maps and heroes are going to be free. Only cosmetics will be sold.'

All of Overwatch's Post Launch Maps and Heroes Will Be Free/

That article is outdated. The game is 60$ (or 60 Euros for those on the other side of the pond) on Blizzard's page.

He's right, there are three purchase options on Blizzard's page and it defaults to a sort of deluxe edition. Base game without the extra skins and other "digital goodies" for their other games is $40.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
16. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Mar 7, 2016, 01:16 jacobvandy

Creston, buddy, I know that, it's literally what you quoted me saying, lol. I was responding to the asinine notion that looking through a phone that was left unlocked and unattended is the same as computer hacking.

dubfanatic wrote on Mar 6, 2016, 23:01:
jacobvandy wrote on Mar 6, 2016, 22:25:
We disagree on what it means for the phone to be unlocked, then. The door on a phone is the lock screen, it either opens to anyone who turns the knob or it requires a key in the form of a PIN, password, gesture, thumbprint, whatever. If the phone is left unlocked, that door has been left ajar.

Are you trolling or are you just dense? If I leave my car door open with the keys in it, and someone jumps in and drives off with it, it's still auto theft. Yeah, I'd be a dumbass for doing it, but it doesn't invalidate the crime.

Did you not read the entire thread before responding, or are you just lacking in comprehension? There's no theft involved... You left the door of your car open, a guy came in and sat in it for a minute, took a picture of the bobble-head on your dashboard, and then left. Are you so petty as to press charges for that?

11. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Mar 6, 2016, 22:25 jacobvandy

We disagree on what it means for the phone to be unlocked, then. The door on a phone is the lock screen, it either opens to anyone who turns the knob or it requires a key in the form of a PIN, password, gesture, thumbprint, whatever. If the phone is left unlocked, that door has been left ajar.  

9. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Mar 6, 2016, 21:36 jacobvandy

Zanthar wrote on Mar 6, 2016, 21:31:
If you leave your house to run to the post office or something, forget to lock your door and someone comes in and takes all your shit, you have no problem with that either?

Don't be dumb, that's obviously theft (and if the door is closed, it's still technically B&E). With that analogy, the door was OPEN and the kid took a look inside.

7. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Mar 6, 2016, 20:50 jacobvandy

SirKnight wrote on Mar 6, 2016, 19:29:
jimnms wrote on Mar 6, 2016, 19:18:
Her phone was unlocked and he took pictures of the pictures on her phone with his phone, and he's being charged with Computer Crimes?

Yes as he should be. He got on her phone without her consent which is no different than hacking into it. Different means of the same thing.

The parents need to be ashamed of themselves as well for not teaching their kid to respect the privacy and belongings of others. People these days have no respect or morals at all.

Lol, what? Hacking is forcing your way in, like kicking down the door to a home... That's a hell of a lot different than finding the door left wide open and taking a look inside. At that point you're merely trespassing, not breaking and entering.

Regardless, how can you have an expectation of privacy when you leave your phone, unprotected, in public space? It's rude, sure, and he should be disciplined for duplicating and distributing the photo, but actually finding it like that is hardly a crime.

Should he be charged with a felony for discovering a nude Polaroid on her desk underneath a stack of papers, when it's common knowledge that that's where she keeps a folder of personal photos? Because that's pretty much what he did.

The negligent teacher is at least as much to blame as the mischievous student for having that sort of thing just lying around. How do we know she's not some kind of pervert who intentionally left her phone there for a kid (perhaps a specific young, handsome troublemaker) to find that photo?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2016, 23:20 jacobvandy

To be clear, Mythbusters did not prove we landed on the moon, they just disproved some of the contrarian theories out there. Namely that the ambient lighting, flag physics, and footprint preservation are scientifically accurate as depicted in that old footage.  

3416 Comments. 171 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo