Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 4413 (Master)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
3. Re: Saturday Consolidation Mar 30, 2019, 13:43 jacobvandy

I suppose this is nice if you really want an official collectible for your shelf, but they've had other SEGA plug-and-play consoles with the same games rotting on retail shelves for years because they farmed it out to third parties. Add that to them releasing classic game compilations on pretty much all the other consoles throughout the past decade (including Switch a few months ago), and I doubt this will make much of a splash at all. They definitely won't be moving millions of units and making scalpers' mouths water like Nintendo has done, twice so far.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Assassin's Creed III Remastered Released
9. Re: Assassin's Creed III Remastered Released Mar 29, 2019, 14:27 jacobvandy

$40 for this alone must be some kind of joke, considering that's the same price for the AC Odyssey season pass which this is included with... I guess they really just want to make you feel like you're getting a great deal when they slash the price by half in a few weeks.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 28, 2019, 21:32 jacobvandy

A year of NSO is probably the coolest Twitch Prime giveaway so far, IMO. They're actual voucher codes like you'd buy at a store, too, so you can redeem them and they'll stack to add more time to your sub if you're already signed up.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2019, 15:10 jacobvandy

BL3 revealed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4o5g_PGkiA

News Comments > Generation Zero Released
7. Re: Generation Zero Released Mar 27, 2019, 09:13 jacobvandy

Quinn wrote on Mar 27, 2019, 08:22:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 27, 2019, 06:54:
I'm about two hours in to it. It's not a bad game but there is nothing about it, so far, that screams "this is so much better than anything else". I will say that there definitely needs to be some adjustment to either how much damage is done to the player or they need to tone down the enemy spawns.

One mission I had to do was to go to a hunter's house and retrieve his rifle. There were three robodogs that patrolled constantly and no amount of sneaking or combat didn't end up with me being dead. It was super frustrating.

I will, however, say that it is not nearly as engaging as Mad Max was. That game hooked you within the first five minutes.

You gave me a BSOD with that Mad Max reference. I don't see anything that connects these two games.

That was this studio's last open world action game that wasn't another Just Cause. It's a shame that they don't seem to have handled having so many irons in the fire lately very well (this plus JC4 plus Rage 2).

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls at 25: Play ESO for Free
7. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 25, 2019, 17:08 jacobvandy

JTW wrote on Mar 25, 2019, 16:59:
They are also giving out a code that gives you a free copy of Morrowind. Today only.

Except the code doesn't work.

For anybody.

Bethesda's quality shows through again.

Oh, you mean TES III... For a minute I thought they were giving away the TESO expansion.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Mar 25, 2019, 10:43 jacobvandy

Some years ago, this type of article was complaining about NOT being able to unlock everything... Can't please everybody.  

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Mar 24, 2019, 21:59 jacobvandy

Just as estimates put the cost of GTAV at around $265m ($285m adjusted), it's been estimated RDR2 cost triple that based on how much their studios have grown since then. I don't think Bioware is that big, but working on Anthem for 6+ years with a staff likely around 1000 people, a total cost approaching $500m isn't far-fetched. Even if you don't want to speculate on that, I would be surprised if they reach their target of 6 million copies in 6 weeks, which is their stated expectation. That also sounds low to me for such a significant release, i.e. not one of their (bi-)annual rehashings.  

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Mar 24, 2019, 19:48 jacobvandy

Lol, this is not positive news for Anthem. That $100 million is ALL digital revenue, including actual copies of the game sold, which even if you assume were all basic $60 versions totals fewer than 2 million... But you know plenty of folks went for the digital deluxe, so it's definitely even less than that, maybe 1-1.5m. Reading past the headline shows that the microtransaction spending part of that is only $3.5 million, which sounds really low to me. The game had to cost them something like half a billion to make and market, right, if not more? So unless they sold at least 4x as many copies physical compared to digital, they didn't break even in their launch month. That's really disappointing for a tentpole release like this.  

News Comments > Quantic Dream's PC System Specs
4. Re: Quantic Dream's PC System Specs Mar 24, 2019, 19:08 jacobvandy

Quinn wrote on Mar 24, 2019, 17:40:
I think those specs are for resolution scale x800 and MSAA x800. Only way those specs make sense.

4k targeting 60fps I bet, like the games run on a PS4 Pro. The two that were originally on PS3 were remastered a few years ago, so I assume it's that version of them being ported.

News Comments > Sunday Patches
2. Re: Sunday Patches Mar 24, 2019, 16:23 jacobvandy

The game is 60fps by default, and as mentioned in the article and reported by multiple people in the original source forum thread, unlocking it can cause gameplay bugs.  

News Comments > Get Tacoma for Free
4. Re: Get Tacoma for Free Mar 21, 2019, 21:08 jacobvandy

pacbowl wrote on Mar 21, 2019, 21:04:
Is it just me or is this not a steam key?

It's not, you get the DRM-free version like you'd buy from GOG.

News Comments > Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice Reviews
22. Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice Reviews Mar 21, 2019, 20:21 jacobvandy

FROM does some of the best worldbuilding and environmental art in the business, I think it's worth playing these just to see that. But if you're dying more than a couple times at any one point other than maybe the end boss or other abnormally rough fight, you're doing it wrong. Either you wandered into a place you're not meant to go yet and are completely outmatched, or you need a better understanding of your gear and combat style. They also test your awareness pretty frequently, so it is easy to get blindsided and die unexpectedly, but after you know what's coming, dying again to that same thing is on you. A lot of people don't like to accept that kind of responsibility, which is why so many games these days have a Tourist difficulty setting..  

News Comments > Steam Adding Events and Renovating Game Libraries
3. Re: Steam Adding Events and Renovating Game Libraries Mar 21, 2019, 20:03 jacobvandy

Sepharo wrote on Mar 21, 2019, 19:49:
... Didn't Steam already have events?

I used to routinely get little toast pop-ups for stuff like a multiplayer shooter starting a tournament or event.

Yeah, but I believe those are just alerts from certain posts made in community groups you have joined, which have been cleverly utilized by some devs for that purpose. Sounds like this new feature will be specifically made for it and include several functions to improve on the idea.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 20, 2019, 15:38 jacobvandy

For this attack to work, though, a user would have to be tricked into opening a malicious website while logged into Google Photos, and the hacker would have to dedicate a certain amount of effort to the attack, so it was never a prevalent risk.

I.e. they get into your account and look at the original images' metadata... This is some grade-school level shit, but throw in enough words like vulnerable, attacker, malicious, etc. in your Engadget interview and you can justify your position as a cyber-security consultant for another month. The real solution is to TURN OFF LOCATION DATA so you're not embedding GPS coordinates in every damned photo you produce.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Mar 19, 2019, 21:05 jacobvandy

It's about damn time anyone but EA made a Star Wars game again.  

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Mar 18, 2019, 17:03 jacobvandy

It's $20 on Uplay, too, unless that sale was only for the weekend.  

News Comments > Epic's Sweeney Calls Exclusives "PROCOMPETITIVE"
4. Re: Epic's Sweeney Calls Exclusives Mar 18, 2019, 11:05 jacobvandy

Massive god complex on this one, for sure... It's really difficult for an ego not to swell to ridiculous proportions when you inject billions of dollars into it practically overnight, regardless of that being due more to sheer luck than any personal ability. In his warped mind, it doesn't even register that he might be using the wrong words, it just sounds good to him as he expresses his "vision." This is from his post the other day after the Steam data stuff showed up:

Love it or hate it, Epic's strategy is my strategy and continues 28 years of Epic's history of releasing games from ourselves and others (remember https://www.dosgames.com/imgs/catalogs/catalog_epic_summer1992.gif)? Right now stores collect 30% of $100 billion of digital game revenue, and we're pulling out all the stops to bring developers a better deal. That means Fortnite, a free game every two week, and lots of exclusives. And, yes, we're aiming to make a profit for ourselves from our 12% cut while doing this!

He sees the new EGS as his chance to revive his glory days as a hotshot entrepreneur founding EPIC MEGAGAMES and taking the PC gaming world by storm!

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Re: Mar 15, 2019, 23:58 jacobvandy

Beamer wrote on Mar 15, 2019, 17:02:
I mean, they seemed to be building a story about a white nationalist christian cult. Then, it was just bland villains with bland motivation. It totally avoided any kind of commentary around that, and could have been placed in any country at any time in history.

There were black guys in the cult, they just aren't very numerous in somewhere like Montana... Anyway, I'm pretty sure your "commentary" lies more in the ambient details of the world, you just have to pay closer attention to notice. In particular, it seems that some of the cult's ideals aren't that crazy, not that the game gives you much choice but to oppose them. It's subtle because they still want their game to sell to a wide audience, which I guess is the point the article is making. But I disagree that it is really needed.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 15, 2019, 20:58 jacobvandy

I know a lot of people love doing it, but I just can't bring myself to sully the Switch with that... I used to play Game Boy games on the toilet, but now with a smartphone I don't have the need.  

4413 Comments. 221 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo