Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 3375 (Veteran)
User ID 56195
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Mar 2, 2016, 23:15 jacobvandy
I saw that posted elsewhere this morning.. They do have a point about it being a very similar lay-out, but until someone comes up with a video showing a fly-over of identical terrain with only ground textures and vegetation sprites differing between them, it's a classic case of mountains and mole hills.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 27, 2016, 15:58 jacobvandy
I love how Gabe posts like two sentences, and suddenly thousands of nerds are whipped into a frenzy.  
News Comments > Harmonix on PC Rhythm Gaming
5. Re: Harmonix on PC Rhythm Gaming Feb 27, 2016, 15:39 jacobvandy
I'm curious as to what kind of user generated content they think they're going to get... For rhythm games, that usually involves the illegal use of copyrighted music.  
News Comments > Morning Patches
7. Re: Morning Patches Feb 23, 2016, 14:26 jacobvandy
MisterBenn wrote on Feb 23, 2016, 12:42:
The combat's a little on the uneven side, some skills feel great and some I've found to be a bit underwhelming. I didn't find a melee setup that really caught my eye yet, I started making a dual wield blademaster but it was a bit too "autoattack + bonus procs" so I rerolled. My second build was a rifleman with a pet, that was better but rifles I discovered, have almost no AoE capability. Now I am rolling an Arcanist caster and this one feels great so far!

The Demolitionist (class you're most likely to use a rifle with) is all about explosions and fire, the most AOE heavy class there is. You can augment your auto-attack to explode with about a 10 meter radius, which eventually gets strong enough to kill trash in one or two hits, and by then you're doing 2+ attacks per second... You almost don't even need to use the thrown weapons at that point, but you still do, because it looks awesome.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 18, 2016, 20:01 jacobvandy
Don't fuck with him! He's the most influential human being in history by 50%!  
News Comments > Just Cause 3 Sky Fortress Trailer
2. Re: Just Cause 3 Sky Fortress Trailer Feb 18, 2016, 15:29 jacobvandy
A motherlovin' JETPACK!  
News Comments > The Division Free With NVIDIA Cards
4. Re: The Division Free With NVIDIA Cards Feb 17, 2016, 14:51 jacobvandy
Yeah, man, I'll pick this up for $20-25 on eBay. Thanks NVIDIA!  
News Comments > Fallout 4 DLC Plans; Season Pass Price Jump
15. Re: Fallout 4 DLC Plans; Season Pass Price Jump Feb 16, 2016, 19:13 jacobvandy
Nah, go for $24 on GMG with their ordinary voucher. I did notice they ran out of keys already and are having to order more, though, so you won't get it instantly.  
News Comments > Fallout 4 DLC Plans; Season Pass Price Jump
4. Re: Fallout 4 DLC Plans; Season Pass Price Jump Feb 16, 2016, 18:02 jacobvandy
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 16, 2016, 17:22:
I love it when one tries it (DL)... then others jump in.

The New New:
DLC Season Pass
Season Pass Expanding. Warning "It's going up, act fast!"

The new game in town.

Better this than just adding a second Season Pass. The early adopters are rewarded for their blind faith and they even give the wait-and-seers ample opportunity to get the same deal.

Far Harbor is bigger than Dragonborn for Skyrim, so if they're going to do at least one more like that, even paying the $50 is likely to be worth it.
News Comments > DOOM in May
20. Re: DOOM in May Feb 4, 2016, 14:15 jacobvandy
Primalchrome wrote on Feb 4, 2016, 14:13:
Sorry to rain on the grousing parade.....but the execution quicktimes are optional.

Thank the sweet baby Jesus for that...
News Comments > Diablo III Season Rebirth Reminder
3. Re: Diablo III Season Rebirth Reminder Feb 3, 2016, 18:42 jacobvandy
Lol, "everything handed to you?" You get one free set, and even then it's not like they're guaranteed to be great rolls or anything. Saves you maybe a couple hours of farming Torment 1-2 after hitting 70 to gather the pieces yourself before you can get rolling with a new build, that's all...

GR50 isn't as tough as it used to be, either, not when most builds are doing 80-90 now. You need to solo 60 and beat a T-10 rift in 4 minutes for your stash tab.
News Comments > American Truck Simulator Rolls Out
8. Re: American Truck Simulator Rolls Out Feb 3, 2016, 01:24 jacobvandy
Well, LA to LV really isn't that far even in real life. If that's the benchmark then the map in-game is about 1/20th scale.

What kind of scale would you guys want? If it takes 4 1/2 hours to really drive that distance, do you want it to take an hour in-game? Just curious.
News Comments > Path of Exile: Ascendancy Next Month
10. Re: Path of Exile: Ascendancy Next Month Feb 2, 2016, 16:21 jacobvandy
I've played this game a ton, used to run a lot of the events during the first few Seasons and finish top 100 most of the time (top 20 if I was lucky), gotten a few characters up into the 70-80+ range... And I agree the combat feels like crap. They're given a LOT of slack because they're indies and it's a free game, etc., but there's really no arguing that point.

The fun of this game is trying out the loads of different builds, but sooner or later the sheer grind of it all will wear you down, and the combat is just not satisfying enough on a moment-to-moment basis to counter-balance that. Every time I want to get back into it and check out the new content (they absolutely deserve props for continuing to crank stuff out, though), it bores me before I finish Act 2.

Running maps is all well and good, and this new Labyrinth thing sounds neat, too, but do you still need to grind through the story a couple times and reach level 60 or whatever in order to access that stuff? Making the story mode optional is the BEST thing Diablo 3 has ever done, IMO, and PoE desperately needs to borrow that idea.
News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue: Game Settings Poll Feb 2, 2016, 13:10 jacobvandy
MajorD wrote on Feb 2, 2016, 12:08:
Just 'out of the Blue' and complete curiosity, what game settings do you select for:

Invert Mouse Y Axis: Yes or No

Motion Blur: On or Off

My settings = Yes and Off.

GOD no, and depends on whether or not it's overused.
News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 31, 2016, 18:18 jacobvandy
Kxmode wrote on Jan 31, 2016, 15:57:
Frijoles wrote on Jan 31, 2016, 14:49:
Enjoying Division a lot more than I thought I would. Trying to avoid playing it now since I know everything is wiped. Ended up in the Dark Zone last night for about 3 hours and eventually joined up with a group of four. Hunted down rogues and occasionally went rogue ourselves on accident. It was a lot of fun.

Is The Division a MMO? Did you join up with the group of four at random?

Not an MMO, more of a persistent online game. You only see other people in certain "safe zone" hubs with quest-givers and shops, the actual open world is instanced with only you and up to three others in your group running around with NPCs (well, I guess a fifth player can sort of participate with the mobile app thing?). The Dark Zone is a much smaller, walled-in area, and entering it is basically a semi-seamless transition into the multiplayer mode.
News Comments > The Division Beta Filling Up
15. Re: The Division Beta Filling Up Jan 30, 2016, 11:41 jacobvandy
Slick wrote on Jan 30, 2016, 04:52:
there's tons of risk in the dark zone, anytime you die you lose currency, xp, and all of your loot. if you're in rogue status when you die you lose WAY more of each.

If anything it's too risky to even engage others, as of about noon today people just kinda stopped engaging over extraction zones. if the other guy shoots you first, if you die, you lose very little, but if you kill him, you get a shit ton of xp and currency, I've gotten about 3000 from 3 quick kills, and 2 levels.

However, for the guy that shot first, if he wins he gets very little, but if he dies he loses a LOT.

basically you have to be damn sure that you can get the kill and escape to ever think it's worth the risk. and all you need to fuck that up is running into randoms while you're rogue, so you're open season to everyone on the server, and some of them you'll have to engage just to stay alive, then you advance to a higher rogue level (up to 5) where your losses become even greater if you die (lost well over a full level once). And once you hit rogue 5 (which is way too easy to do), everyone on the map has a wallhack on you. that's right, see you plainly through walls. I've died once from just random bullets somehow flying through concrete (i was in a stairwell) from outside, cause... why not.

Oh and when you're rogue 5 your timer is 5 minutes. That's 5 minutes where you can't engage ANYONE. 5 minutes on the run when the whole server has a wallhack on you. oh and if you're about to die with 30 seconds left (happened once) and are forced to engage, your timer goes back up to 5 minutes again.

no risk? have you played the game?

You just repeated what I had already said... OH NO, I lost some XP and currency that doesn't affect the rest of the game and can be regained in 5 minutes of deathmatch play! Rolleyes

Dude, that's not risk. You don't lose your gear, you lose the "contaminated loot" that you acquired, again, during the 5-10 minutes you were in there since you extracted. There's no persistence with the game outside of this little PVP sandbox except that you can more reliably earn good weapons (possibly the best ones at the top end, but to their credit you really don't need big stats on your gun to wreck stuff if you can aim).

All it takes is grind, to get better at the grinding, to then max out and be done with it. You never lose any significant progress. All that will remain are sadistic dickheads who get off on picking on people to slow down their grind, because anyone looking for the thrill of thriving in a harsh environment will not find it here. What was supposed to be a core component of survival RPG gameplay was stripped out to be as frivolous as most other shooters' tacked-on deathmatch modes.

El Pit, you're right, I shouldn't have let myself expect anything deep from Ubisoft. I do enjoy the open world PVE and will probably pick it up for that eventually, I'm just disappointed at the squandered potential of the PVP.
News Comments > The Division Beta Filling Up
5. Re: The Division Beta Filling Up Jan 29, 2016, 22:34 jacobvandy
I can see the co-op story being decently fun, but they absolutely destroyed any promise this game's multiplayer might have held. The original announcement made it look like a single huge open world with many players wandering around in it, with the potential for tense PVP engagements. Basically DayZ without the zombies.

Instead, they have completely separated the PVE and PVP components of the game, and you will never see anyone outside of your group in the story world. You have to opt in to visiting the 'Dark Zone' which is like the Peewee's Playhouse of open world PVP.

There's no risk in it at all, you go into the area with what basically amounts to a checkpoint save of all of your progress and loot you've gathered up to that point. You don't lose your gear or items when you die, there's no permadeath, and you don't even lose "real" XP. DZ has its own XP bar and levels, its own currency, and the loot you find there is only in danger of being lost if you don't manage to run away to an exit or send it off at one of several extraction points. After that, it's safe forever, just like the rest of your stuff.

No risk means there's no excitement. You have to go to the Dark Zone if you want the best gear in the game, but all it takes is a lot of friends to back you up or a lot of luck to get in and out without being ganked. Just keep grinding it enough and eventually you max out your kit, which can never be taken from you.

In other words, they completely missed the point of what makes open world survival games compelling, or else they second-guessed themselves and decided to cater to all the carebears out there who can't withstand any real challenge or consequence.
News Comments > Offensive Counter-Strike Global Offensive Severs Closed
6. Re: Offensive Counter-Strike Global Offensive Severs Closed Jan 29, 2016, 15:16 jacobvandy
Razumen wrote on Jan 29, 2016, 12:59:
InBlack wrote on Jan 29, 2016, 12:13:
So much for being mod friendly...

Yes, I can understand their main reasons, but the clarification stating that custom models and skins NOT in the market are not allowed either is just plain BS.

I guess you can still do so on non-community servers though, so I think it only affects ranked servers - I don't know how much impact it will have on modding anyways.

That clarification has been crossed out on the source page. Blue doesn't mention that this message to server operators asking them to adhere to new guidelines is from 6 months ago, July '15, so it may be that particular statement was redacted since then. The actual news is that they just recently began taking action against those who refused. All of what's quoted here is itself an italicized quote on the source blog, this is the framing text:

In July 2015 the CS:GO team reached out with a request to server operators to stop providing services that falsify the contents of a player’s profile or inventory:

In January 2016, we permanently disabled Game Server Login Tokens belonging to server operators that were providing free or paid services that falsified the contents of a player’s profile or inventory. The Steam user that generated the tokens is now also permanently restricted from creating new GSLTs.
A new Steam user account associated with a new qualifying phone number ( will be required to create new GSLTs.
To avoid future disruption game server operators are best advised to comply with CS:GO server operation guidelines described above.
News Comments > Rise of the Tomb Raider PC Trailer & Details
4. Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider PC Trailer & Details Jan 27, 2016, 20:08 jacobvandy
The Half Elf wrote on Jan 27, 2016, 19:51:
Overon wrote on Jan 27, 2016, 18:07:
Is this Tomb Raider like the last one that pulled me right out of it when the cutscenes showed a Laura who didn't want to kill and then gameplay showed a brutal curb stomp Laura. It's like the teams that created the brutal curb stomping Laura and the team that created the emotional cutscene Laura didn't talk to each other.

Ever heard of fight or flight? If I was stuck in a similar situation would I want to kill someone? No. Would I in self defense or the defense of another yes.
Now as much as people love to think fighting is a glamorous hollywood affair it's not. It's clumsy, it's ugly, and it's whatever you can do to survive.

Survival, go look up what the word means.

You don't survive in that game, lol, you slaughter everyone. IIRC, it was capped off by the standard action game boss fight, which Lara sought out.

Survival is huddling up in a cave on the beach and waiting for a boat to pass by. Unfortunately that would make for a pretty boring game, so instead they have you intentionally creating conflict... That is inarguably one of the biggest no-nos of realistic survival, and the way it clashes with the story of Lara as a character they shoehorned in there is perhaps the biggest issue with that game. There are no two ways about it.
News Comments > Master X Master Announced
1. Re: Master X Master Announced Jan 27, 2016, 19:42 jacobvandy
You can't copy Blizzard when you do not have dozens of memorable characters to put into this game. Can anyone name that guy in the video thumbnail?  
3375 Comments. 169 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News logo