Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 4649 (Master)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > U.S. Congress Rebukes Blizzard

20. Re: Re: U.S. Congress Rebukes Blizzard Oct 19, 2019, 04:53 jacobvandy

NKD wrote on Oct 19, 2019, 03:11:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 19, 2019, 02:17:
Video Games. The Sixth Estate. Nobody pays attention to it until it becomes beneficial for career reasons to do so.

Also, J. Allen Brack is a toolbox. Unlike Mike Morhaime, he has no real power in Blizzard. JAB famously told a fan asking for vanilla, "you think you do, but you don't," and then Classic came out and boosted sub numbers by 200-300%. #NoVision

I thought they no longer gave their sub numbers, just revenue? I don't follow Blizz that closely these days.

Besides which, subs going up when it launches is only the "you think you do" part... Need to give it a few months to see how right or wrong the second half of that statement is.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Trailer

27. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Trailer Oct 18, 2019, 17:09 jacobvandy

Osc8r wrote on Oct 18, 2019, 04:35:
jacobvandy wrote on Oct 17, 2019, 17:41:
Osc8r wrote on Oct 17, 2019, 17:30:
Is it worth buying it for the co-op only?

Not interested in playing the single player at all.

You mean the online free-for-all? That'll depend on who you have to play with you. Though I'd fully expect it to be overrun by hackers the same way GTA Online was at first.

I thought it had co-op missions / a small co-op campaign as well as free roam?

It does, but AFAIK any of your missions that take place in the open world can be crashed by other players who happen to be nearby. I could be mistaken, since this is stuff I read last year that may be outdated and I never played it myself since I don't want to pay for an online sub.

19. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Trailer Oct 17, 2019, 17:41 jacobvandy

Osc8r wrote on Oct 17, 2019, 17:30:
Is it worth buying it for the co-op only?

Not interested in playing the single player at all.

You mean the online free-for-all? That'll depend on who you have to play with you. Though I'd fully expect it to be overrun by hackers the same way GTA Online was at first.

12. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Trailer Oct 17, 2019, 13:47 jacobvandy

Xero wrote on Oct 17, 2019, 13:33:
This looks different though. I probably won't have to worry about helicopters chasing after me

No helos, but the law is just as relentless in the old west (plus bounty hunters if you lean dark side in general). Don't start shit outside of scripted missions until you know what you're doing, unless you want a swift kick in the ass.

In terms of distractions, though, this game has a lot of them. Especially if you enjoy survival games, living off the land and such. The hunting and fishing are both as well done as just about any standalone game dedicated to those pursuits.

News Comments > Out of the Blue

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 17, 2019, 12:21 jacobvandy

Hoop wrote on Oct 17, 2019, 11:45:
I thought the states had insane d/l speeds?
Down here I've been on 200mbps 4-5 years.

Average speed in the US is 33Mbps according to the most recent data I googled just now (dated May 2019). That's a lot of really shitty connections counter-balancing the relatively few locations where high speed cable or fiber are available.

News Comments > Chernobylite Early Access

5. Re: Chernobylite Early Access Oct 16, 2019, 17:21 jacobvandy

MacLeod wrote on Oct 16, 2019, 13:54:
A game set in the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone, people known as stalkers... I feel like I've heard that before... :p

Like how there are several different film adaptations of Robin Hood, this book makes for a cool video game.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions

1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 15, 2019, 18:48 jacobvandy

More like: 'Innocent voice acting talent spared enduring meet-and-greet from hell (AKA this is why we can't have nice things)'  

News Comments > Fortnite Chapter 2 Launches

11. Re: Fortnite Chapter 2 Launches Oct 15, 2019, 17:20 jacobvandy

NKD wrote on Oct 15, 2019, 17:13:
So I tried out Fortnite earlier today, after I saw this CHapter 2 had come out. The first match it dropped me into, I swear I was fighting really bad bots. People were preternaturally terrible at the game, and it was literally my first time playing and I had no idea what I was doing. On my best day I'm just "pretty bad" at shooters. Made it to 6th place and had like 15 kills.

I'm still not convinced it wasn't some kind of bot match, but I can't really find information on that.

Maybe the super sweaty "pro" types hadn't logged in yet.

Games don't become ultra popular worldwide solely on the backs of pros and other hardcore players. There are way more average schmoes playing this, including many unskilled and inexperienced ones that might never have played another game in their life. It was probably just a case of first-time matchmaking.

News Comments > POSTAL 4 Delivered to Early Access

4. Re: POSTAL 4 Delivered to Early Access Oct 14, 2019, 20:27 jacobvandy

It is kind of impressive how similar it looks to Postal 2, despite the higher detail in textures and effects. They might even actually be re-using some of the old animations and such, maybe as placeholders?  

News Comments > Fortnite Apocalypse

14. Re: Fortnite Apocalypse Oct 14, 2019, 16:25 jacobvandy

The Pyro wrote on Oct 14, 2019, 15:16:
Forgive my Fortnite ignorance, but is a new map really that exciting? The shooters I used to play had dozens of multiplayer maps, and fans were constantly pumping out new arenas. Inevitably the fan-created stuff would eventually equal or surpass the quality of official maps.

A battle royale map is usually several square kilometers in size with considerations for vehicles, players spawning and looting anywhere, and then everyone migrating across the map to eventually collide in a small space about 100m in diameter. With all the unique terrain and locations spread throughout, they're like 30 or 40 standard deathmatch arenas stitched together into a giant, cohesive landmass.

News Comments > blitzchung Speaks Out

5. Re: blitzchung Speaks Out Oct 13, 2019, 16:06 jacobvandy

El Pit wrote on Oct 13, 2019, 15:47:
He who pays the piper calls the tune.

So much about "freedom of speech".

Maybe you should actually read the First Amendment.

News Comments > Pine Sprouts

4. Re: Pine Sprouts Oct 12, 2019, 18:32 jacobvandy

I'm interested because of the BOTW influence, but I'm hearing mixed opinions and will probably wait for a sale.  

News Comments > Op Ed

27. Re: Op Ed Oct 12, 2019, 02:01 jacobvandy

Jeez, it reeks of arrogance and ignorance in here... Oh, look, a list of 193 American ISPs -- ranging from the biggest in the country to tiny municipal operations -- which enact data caps on their customers: https://broadbandnow.com/internet-providers-with-data-caps

News Comments > etc., etc.

9. Re: etc., etc. Oct 11, 2019, 20:59 jacobvandy

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 20:11:
jacobvandy wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 20:06:
The Half Elf wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 20:03:
Simon Says wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 19:42:
Creston wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 19:00:
Blizzard really doesn't know, it just kind of depends what the Chinese government wants them to do, you know? It's hard to predict that.

They're not playing on a Chinese server...

Think bigger (ie: Chinese stock holders of the company)

No need, I guarantee there were plenty of god fearun Americans complaining about it.
ftfy

Nah, just trolls, mostly.

News Comments > etc., etc.

5. Re: etc., etc. Oct 11, 2019, 20:06 jacobvandy

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 20:03:
Simon Says wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 19:42:
Creston wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 19:00:
Blizzard really doesn't know, it just kind of depends what the Chinese government wants them to do, you know? It's hard to predict that.

They're not playing on a Chinese server...

Think bigger (ie: Chinese stock holders of the company)

No need, I guarantee there were plenty of Americans complaining about it.

News Comments > More CoD: Modern Warfare PC Specs

2. Re: More CoD: Modern Warfare PC Specs Oct 10, 2019, 20:26 jacobvandy

I kind of want to know what sort of wizardry they do with ray tracing to reduce the hard drive footprint by 130GB. Or is that 45GB in addition to the standard 175GB?  

News Comments > Surviving Mars Free on Epic Games Store

11. Re: Surviving Mars Free on Epic Games Store Oct 10, 2019, 20:20 jacobvandy

There are also a couple of free DLCs, if you don't mind loading up Steam to be able to read their full descriptions and see if they're worth more individual check-out processes. E.g.:

Surviving Mars: Space Race
Citizens unite! The race to stake your place in space has begun. Surviving Mars: Space Race, the first major expansion from the survival management game Surviving Mars, is blasting off with a...

WITH A WHAT, TIM?

News Comments > Blizzard Hong Kong Backlash Continues

15. Re: Blizzard Hong Kong Backlash Continues Oct 10, 2019, 13:25 jacobvandy

Kxmode wrote on Oct 10, 2019, 13:16:
not-going-to-touch-this-with-a-ten-foot-pole.jpg

Then why continuously post in these threads?

News Comments > Blizzard Hong Kong Backlash Continues

11. Re: Blizzard Hong Kong Backlash Continues Oct 10, 2019, 12:55 jacobvandy

Veinman wrote on Oct 10, 2019, 12:51:
Can we assume that this site is totally okay with Blizzard's stance, since it is displaying ads for Blizzard products?

No, but it's safe to assume you're not familiar with how automated contextual ad placement works.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Modern Warfare System Requirements

3. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare System Requirements Oct 9, 2019, 15:57 jacobvandy

At least RDR2 is a huge, super-detailed open world that shipped for consoles on two blu-ray discs... What's this game's excuse?  

4649 Comments. 233 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >