Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 3674 (Veteran)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > For Honor Beta Concludes Today
28. Re: For Honor Beta Concludes Today Feb 13, 2017, 21:27 jacobvandy

No I hadn't, but that doesn't seem to be a game that you actually play... Surely you see the difference between [very roughly] animating toy soldiers you spend hardly any time watching up close and what they had to do for Chivalry?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Interviews
1. Re: Evening Interviews Feb 13, 2017, 21:19 jacobvandy

What a dumb article... Title implies it's some big story about them keeping secrets (shocker!) or canceling some kind of behind the scenes documentary, but it's just ONE little tidbit of Valve trivia: a month before Half-Life was finished, their code database shit the bed and they lost all versions previous to that.

As if there is some reason why we would ever see any or all of the unfinished code for the game to begin with. I am disappointed in Gamasutra, they used to be better than this.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 13, 2017, 15:31 jacobvandy

Or just buy your own equipment! You can spend a couple hundred bucks on a quality modem and router or combo and it'll pay for itself in less than two years, then start saving you $10 every month after that. It's been 4 years now on my current modem and nearly 5 on the router, combined they cost the same as renting equipment for 14 months... And there's no remote reprogramming bullshit to deal with.

Side note: I'm actually considering upgrading to a gigabit router, since the service I get here clocks higher than 100Mb/s even though I only signed up for 80. It's surprising because Comcast was so shitty where I lived a couple years ago, having me pay the same amount of money for less than half the speed.

25. Re: On Sale Feb 13, 2017, 11:45 jacobvandy

Numinar wrote on Feb 13, 2017, 07:20:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 12, 2017, 17:57:
rawbelly wrote on Feb 12, 2017, 17:25:
Wanted the combat to feel like Chivalry.

Why would the Chivalry developers include this screenshot on the Steam store page showing terrible hand placement? It looks bad. Like amateurish bad.

Sounds a little pedantic. Do any games get this kind of thing right? And also support 64 player online melee? I hazard to guess that most compromises would be due to having to animate and model something that works in first person and for external observers/opponents.

More than a little, it has zero effect on gameplay and did nothing to deter millions of people from buying it (before it even released on consoles). It's a side effect of reconciling unhindered first-person movements with the third-person models, without making it look even weirder by anchoring the hand to the proper position and having the arm stretch back and forth like taffy.

Sure, indie devs could be called amateurs for not having an 8-figure budget for their art department, but take three guesses at how many fucks they give...

6. Re: For Honor Beta Concludes Today Feb 12, 2017, 13:49 jacobvandy

You can call it whatever you want, but what that really is is narrow-minded. Why play a game like this on a console when it's available for PC with better graphics and performance? Choosing to limit yourself to certain genres is even worse than sticking to one console where that decision is made for you... I respect myself as a gamer too much to do that out of some misplaced sense of platform pride. IMO, you're somewhat ironically dis-respecting the PC with such flippant dismissal of one of its greatest strengths.

(I haven't even played For Honor, don't really have an interest at this point, but that goes for all '3rd person gamepad action thingies.')

News Comments > Steam Greenlight Giving Way to Steam Direct
21. Re: Steam Greenlight Giving Way to Steam Direct Feb 10, 2017, 16:31 jacobvandy

If a game you bought doesn't pass a "basic quality test," then you can refund it immediately. That's what it's for.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2017, 11:44 jacobvandy

Agent-Zero wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 11:42:
VaranDragon wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 11:24:
How the hell are the elites going to just stand by and let this tech ruin the shit they got going on right now?

Like descender said, true AI will mean the end of Capitalism as we know it. That shit will not go down easy.

they are way too stupid to conceptualize the possibility of lost sales and growth, because they will be way too busy cracking open champagne over saving operating costs and reducing paychecks

Not elite enough.

News Comments > South Park: The Fractured But Whole and Steep DLC Delays
8. Re: South Park: The Fractured But Whole and Steep DLC Delays Feb 10, 2017, 01:01 jacobvandy

Yep, it even says it right there in the quoted blurb, Ubisoft SF...  

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Feb 9, 2017, 01:33 jacobvandy

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 8, 2017, 21:01:
jacobvandy wrote on Feb 8, 2017, 20:59:
He's a creeper for sure and deserves the ban, but 15 is way too old for an actual pedo. That's the age where they start sneaking into bars and getting perfectly normal adult men in trouble 'cause they were drunk and assumed she was old enough to be there... Hence "jail bait."
You have some lucky ladies in your life, don't you. How many daughter might I ask?

You disagree that there's a distinction to be made there? By definition, it's not pedophilia if it's toward a physically mature person. And isn't 16 (or less) still the legal age of adulthood in most of the civilized world?

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Feb 8, 2017, 20:59 jacobvandy

He's a creeper for sure and deserves the ban, but 15 is way too old for an actual pedo. That's the age where they start sneaking into bars and getting perfectly normal adult men in trouble 'cause they were drunk and assumed she was old enough to be there... Hence "jail bait."  

News Comments > Rock Band VR Next Month
4. Re: Rock Band VR Next Month Feb 7, 2017, 11:02 jacobvandy

robdot wrote on Feb 7, 2017, 10:41:
They never released multiplayer or any kind of battle mode for this thing, hey,maybe multiplayer first.

Yeah they did, and I'm certain Blue posted about it in more than one place.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 6, 2017, 20:44 jacobvandy

I didn't realize DSLReports was doing clickbait now... Let me make a mental note to disregard links from there in the future.  

News Comments > TimeSplitters: Rewind This Year
2. Re: TimeSplitters: Rewind This Year Feb 6, 2017, 11:25 jacobvandy

Unofficial fan project... I like TimeSplitters, but I'm not getting my hopes up.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2017, 19:41 jacobvandy

I heard Falcons were locked in a week ago because of how heavily the bets have favored the Patriots. Meaning the house would win, to the tune of billions of dollars... I believe it.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2017, 13:38 jacobvandy

Cutter wrote on Feb 5, 2017, 13:05:
Nobody likes hearing someone crunching their food,

It's never bothered me or the millions of other people who work in hospitality or dine our regularly. So much for that.

Not being bothered doesn't mean you like it, does it?

News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 5, 2017, 13:16 jacobvandy

I've kinda been wanting to try Conan, but I'm settling on ARK for now because of their conveniently-timed $10 sale. Should have more stuff to do with less bugs anyway, right?  

News Comments > Husk Released
5. Re: Husk Released Feb 4, 2017, 20:53 jacobvandy

Well I assume there's depiction of domestic violence, otherwise why have the PSA? I'm just saddened to see this kind of politically correct BS make its way to video games.

It reminded me of a newer sci-fi/fantasy show on Netflix my wife was watching not too long ago... I forget what it's called, but it had this one rape scene that wasn't even very graphic, and at the end of the episode they have the full-screen ad with a sexual abuse hotline and probably a plug for some women's advocacy organization's website. IIRC that wasn't the only instance in that series either, like another episode had a character kill himself or something and at the end of that one comes the mental illness and/or suicide prevention PSA.

It's just like, what the fuck, man? Is it that you can't make dramatic entertainment anymore without worrying about triggering an SJW crusade, or was the show just an excuse to get those messages out there all along? Where's the "murder is bad, mmmk?" disclaimer in front of 90% of popular video games, is that coming soon? Ah shit, I shouldn't give them ideas...

News Comments > Husk Released
3. Re: Husk Released Feb 4, 2017, 18:50 jacobvandy

Anyone else annoyed by this growing trend of entertainment media that uses what might be considered controversial themes feeling like they have to put in a PSA disclaimer?  

News Comments > Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 Beta Testing
4. Re: Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 Beta Testing Feb 4, 2017, 00:16 jacobvandy

Oh, LOL, I thought those were for Ghost Recon, then I realized that would have to be Uplay. Thanks regardless!  

News Comments > Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 Beta Testing
2. Re: Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 Beta Testing Feb 3, 2017, 21:27 jacobvandy

I didn't get in to the Ghost Recon beta.

Oh, well, not too much longer to wait, is it?

3674 Comments. 184 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo