Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 3333 (Veteran)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Remastered Turok Released
2. Re: Remastered Turok Released Dec 17, 2015, 18:25 jacobvandy

Yeah... $20 is a bit much for a port. You can play at higher resolution and it looks like the wall of fog is a bit further off, but all the assets look the same as they were almost 20 years ago. They play it off like that was intentional, so they're using the term "remastered" very loosely here.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Date, Specs
1. Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Date, Specs Dec 17, 2015, 17:29 jacobvandy

AND it's only $30! No excuse not to pick this up, it's one of the best games of recent memory.  

News Comments > Dying Light The Following Story Trailer
6. Re: Dying Light The Following Story Trailer Dec 16, 2015, 19:48 jacobvandy

There are weapon maintenance skills that make them last plenty long enough, let you repair them more times, AND give you a chance to not consume one of those limited repairs whenever you do fix it up... It's more likely your weapon will just fall behind in damage and be replaced anyway before it actually breaks. And then you max out your skills and do so much damage anyway, no matter what weapon you have, that it really doesn't matter. Modding the game to make it even easier than that is going a bit overboard, I think.

But then, I don't mind weapon degradation in general. It's bad enough that guns in this game are immune to it and have very little variation in their stats, so once you find one of the type you want (they're all a dime a dozen by the time you reach the second map), that's it, you're done looting guns. To wish melee weapons were more like that, too, is taking a lot of the fun out of the game, IMO. They're temporary so that you are always on the look-out for new ones. And on the rare occasion that you completely run out of usable weapons, it's a refreshing challenge to have to rely more on your wits and the environment to survive.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Syndicate Jack the Ripper 360 Trailer
9. Re: Assassin's Creed Syndicate Jack the Ripper 360 Trailer Dec 15, 2015, 18:30 jacobvandy

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Dec 15, 2015, 17:46:
The writing was also weak and while I liked Evie, they went the sitcom hyper stereotype route of making the woman character smart, thoughtful and strategic while the male was is a brash idiot whose lack of forethought into anything literally sets back their plans on multiple occasions. Heaven forfend Ubisoft not wildly overcompensate for last year's offendatron brigade of Unity not having a playable female character. Now we have one but they had to make the male an idiot to compensate and they also made half the gang enemies women, throwing any attempts at period accuracy aside because hey, we wouldn't want to offend anyone with things being how they actually were in the time we're supposed to be reliving.

Don't forget the token transgendered character! I also noticed they updated their PC disclaimer displayed when you first start the game to include "various... sexual orientations and gender identities." Rolleyes

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Syndicate Jack the Ripper 360 Trailer
2. Re: Assassin's Creed Syndicate Jack the Ripper 360 Trailer Dec 15, 2015, 14:03 jacobvandy

Lol, those aren't AI, they're wallpaper. It was a neat effect, sure, but the fact is it didn't work in the real world nearly as well as they thought it did in their own tests. The limit of 40 active NPCs means that, in your scene there, only the policemen and key scene/quest actors are doing anything, while 95% of the crowd are basically props like crates and barrels. Which, combined with the limit of 120 high-res character models, caused the many decidedly UN-immersive issues with fugly pop-in as you moved about the city, or even through a single crowd: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frrGo-QGB88

Syndicate is hardly empty, anyone who's done any amount of carriage driving knows there are PLENTY of people and other vehicles who get in your way. That's a big reason the streets are clearer, though, is they pretty much have to be to make room for driving. And though they have fewer NPCs about in general (most I've seen is about 100 in one of those scripted crowds), all of them react to you, running away screaming when you kill someone, mumbling milder concerns when you're holding someone hostage or sneaking about, etc. That behavior isn't limited to just the ones nearest to you that you're bumping into, and the scenes that creates when you've infiltrated an enemy gang operation and finally "go loud" are plenty immersive.

They're better off keeping the huge crowds on the back burner until they get them better sorted, IMO. Maybe they're working on that for the next major game. But even without them, most people agree Syndicate is an improvement. I really don't know if I could go back to any previous AC game, since the grappling hook is that much of a game-changer.

News Comments > Happy Birthday Commander Keen; PC SM3 Video
2. Re: Happy Birthday Commander Keen; PC SM3 Video Dec 14, 2015, 19:31 jacobvandy

Yeah, it sure does. Completely lacking any of the subtle finesse that Nintendo put into Mario's movements (acceleration, momentum, gravity, etc.): https://youtu.be/61MNeKHnhe0?t=53

But I suppose that's expecting too much of a tech demo only meant to prove they could do side-scrolling graphics.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 11, 2015, 16:36 jacobvandy

descender wrote on Dec 11, 2015, 15:16:
Or you can just be a man and take your chances.

The true purpose of immunization is not really to stop young healthy people from getting the flu...

That's fine and dandy, but I was razzing Blue because he said that really is his reason for getting the shot. Which, let's be frank here, is a way more common reason than any sort of greater good.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 11, 2015, 15:05 jacobvandy

Fion wrote on Dec 11, 2015, 14:25:
Technically you do have a case of the arm flu as that is the point of infection where your body is fighting the small amounts of common strains of influenza (anticipated for this flu season) so that you will build antibodies against them.

It amazes me how most people don't realize this. You literally are making yourself sick with the flu at a specific time in order to reduce your chances of getting sick at another, unspecific time. Or you can just be a man and take your chances.

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Gun Nerfed
5. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Gun Nerfed Dec 11, 2015, 14:13 jacobvandy

Dagnamit wrote on Dec 11, 2015, 10:47:
Relevant:

http://gfycat.com/BoilingSevereGreatdane

Yeah, it was pretty good. LOL

Meh, right there he just got really lucky in how they lined up, any gun would have mowed them down with headshots like that. Maybe it shouldn't kill in one hit to the torso (was that one wearing armor, though?) but if it pierces and hits the other guy in the face, I don't see anything wrong with him being dead.

News Comments > Valve on Steam Trade Changes
13. Re: Valve on Steam Trade Changes Dec 11, 2015, 02:05 jacobvandy

This mobile authenticator seems less secure to me. I don't have a smart phone, but I'm using Steam Desktop Authenticator which emulates the mobile authenticator. When I logged into Steam from a new device, all I had to do was enter the code from the mobile authenticator and I was in. That's only a single point of authentication. Before this I had to enter a code sent by SMS to my phone and click a confirmation link sent to my email.

You keep saying this, but it's simply not true. Emulating it on your PC is less secure compared to having it on an actual mobile device, but a code that expires after about 10 seconds is way more secure than SMS and/or email. The point of binding an authenticator to your account is that it can't simply be removed or changed like those other things can. You either have to have an authenticator code (which would require physical possession of the mobile device) or the special recovery code that is shown to you one time only for 30 seconds, which you should write down and keep in a safe non-digital place. Otherwise you go into support to reset it and your account is locked out of trading and all that for a week anyway.

Where your primary email is used to manage your password and SMS functions, the authenticator app requires access to a specific piece of hardware for which its codes are uniquely generated. They can't get that via phishing or trojan.

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2015, 02:11.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2015, 17:19 jacobvandy

Yeah she's crazy, but it's people like that who make actors like him into celebrities and line their pockets with these $100 a shot photo ops... Not that he should walk into "Walker Stalker Con" expecting to be assaulted, but I bet he wasn't surprised.  

News Comments > EVE Online Updated
8. Re: EVE Online Updated Dec 8, 2015, 14:23 jacobvandy

This game has a storyline?  

News Comments > Fallout 4 Patch Breaks Mod Support
45. Re: Fallout 4 Patch Breaks Mod Support Dec 8, 2015, 14:04 jacobvandy

Slashman wrote on Dec 8, 2015, 07:25:
Cutter wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 18:12:

Ooohm yeah. I'm gonna' have to sorta disagree with you there, Bob.

The only reason Bethsoft's games have the longevity they do is because of the PC and those self-same mods. I have 435 hours on Skyrim. Without mods it would have been 40'ish. Just go take a look at Nexus Mods mod numbers. Sky UI alone has been downloaded almost 11 million times. Look at the top 25 mods and each of them have been downloaded anywhere from 1 or 2 million plus to 25 million times! So yeah, it's very much about the mods.

OK fine. I just wonder how many times you have re-downloaded a mod when its version changed. I have probably downloaded Cloaks of Skyrim about 15 times. I've downloaded every version change of the Unofficial Skyrim patch mods for each expansion and main game. Same for SkyUI(which has had 15 revisions).

I've downloaded mods that were required to make mods I wanted to use work...and those multiple times.

So all of a sudden, several million downloads doesn't seem like such a huge number if the average mod user is always updating does it?

So if my modest 33 mods have had an average of 10-15 downloads not counting things like complete reinstalls of the game or system upgrades, 11 million downloads is a LOT less impressive for a single mod...and most mods number in the thousands of downloads.

You're correct, and Nexus happens to track the number of unique downloads along with total downloads. For example, SkyUI has 10.8 million downloads, but only 5.4 million unique. That means, on average, everyone who's downloaded it has done so twice. The highest number I've seen is for the 2K resolution texture mod at 8.3 million uniques. Which is, again, about half of its total download figure.

This comment was edited on Dec 8, 2015, 14:10.

28. Re: Fallout 4 Patch Breaks Mod Support Dec 7, 2015, 17:54 jacobvandy

If you opted into the beta patch and were playing with mods, you don't have to do anything, mods still work just fine. The patch doesn't "break" mods or the game's support for them, it's just that the launcher is resetting the load list every time, disabling any additional .esp files that didn't ship with the game. This has been happening since the beta patch first arrived, the only thing that changed today is that it's being applied to everyone, not just the ones who know what they're doing. Cue all the Chicken Littles.

Before there was a new Nexus Mod Manager and before there was discovered to be a hidden data loader menu in the launcher, people were activating mods by editing plugins.txt, found in the AppData/Local/Fallout4/ folder. You manually enter the names of the extra .esp files you want to load, and then set the file to read-only so that the launcher doesn't reset it.

The other work-around is to start using the newly-released Fallout 4 Script Extender. It bypasses the standard launcher, and thus doesn't give the game an opportunity to reset your load list.

15. Re: Fallout 4 Patch Breaks Mod Support Dec 7, 2015, 15:26 jacobvandy

Quboid wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 15:20:
Mods work fine for me using this custom launcher.

It's probably an oversight but it would really, really suck if they're locking down unofficial modding because they want mods to be console compatible.

Paranoid delusions... If that were their goal, it's far too late to do anything about it now. Even if the GECK were available already, there would still be plenty of mods completely unsuitable for use on consoles. They have no reason to "lock down" PC modding whatsoever.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 6, 2015, 16:19 jacobvandy

When I was checking out Amazon a couple days ago (they have the Pip-Boy Edition again, BTW), I noticed the regular FO4 game was the #1 seller on all platforms. Blops^3 edged it out on Xbox today because it's on sale, but still, that's pretty impressive.  

News Comments > Half-Life 3 Rumor Fuel
3. Re: Half-Life 3 Rumor Fuel Dec 6, 2015, 16:07 jacobvandy

Couldn't any random dev have slipped that in as a joke?  

News Comments > Paragon is a MOBA
3. Re: Paragon is a MOBA Dec 6, 2015, 16:05 jacobvandy

You mean this was supposed to be a secret, throughout all those hero reveals?  

News Comments > Delete Steam Games
38. Re: Delete Steam Games Dec 5, 2015, 20:29 jacobvandy

Lol, I suppose you don't carry a wallet around with you anywhere, then? I know firsthand how much of a pain in the ass it is to lose one of those, and smartphones with sensitive data on them are no different. You get to a computer or another phone ASAP and tell Valve to lock your account, like you would be canceling cards and putting in ID theft alerts with the credit bureaus. That doesn't mean two-factor authentication isn't still the best way to secure any account of any kind, short of retinal scans and voice recognition, etc.

You can use one of the many Android emulators out there to access the Steam app on your computer. It's not as good as having that on a separate device, but it will save you the wait time when you give away trading cards.

News Comments > Delete Steam Games
35. Re: Delete Steam Games Dec 5, 2015, 14:28 jacobvandy

jimnms wrote on Dec 5, 2015, 13:19:
jacobvandy wrote on Dec 5, 2015, 01:31:
jimnms wrote on Dec 4, 2015, 23:16:
I said it the other day, forcing forcing everyone to use the Steam Mobile Authenticator for trading had nothing to do with protecting users. They want to make it a pain in the ass to trade so more people will use the market instead. If they really wanted to protect users you wouldn't be able instantly delete games from your account easier than it is to trade stupid cards worth a few cents.

You're not forced... You can disable the trade confirmation emails if you're so inclined. They have it enabled by default to protect the ignorant, and the feature in itself was made to benefit those with significant value stored in their inventory. Feel free to throw caution to the wind (and forfeit your right to petition Support about lost items) if all you deal with is small potatoes among friends.

Have you been living under a rock the past few weeks? After December 9th you'll be required to use the Steam Mobile Authenticator or your trades will be held in escrow for 3 days. This is supposedly done to protect users from losing items if their accounts are hacked/stolen, but why aren't they extending this same protection to your games if they really want to protect their users?

Not a rock, per se... Have been spending a lot of time in the Commonwealth, though. I also don't do much actual trading. The marketplace was made for those high volumes of cheap items, so that's what I use for the cards. I don't get the argument you're trying to make, though; you're against having to use the authenticator for trades (takes 5 seconds to look up a code on a phone, it's not that much of a chore IMO), but you want them to force that on people for every game deletion request? If you have Steam Guard enabled, and there's no reason not to, you already have to use the authenticator to log in to the support site before you can access that function.

The important thing to note here is that the support site is a separate entity, on Steampowered.com, but your inventory and all that other stuff is on SteamCommunity.com. It requires two logins, and so two authentications as well, to access both from the same browser. You would never be logged in to the support site under normal circumstances, checking the store or your activity feed or forums or trading, especially not on a public computer. So as I said earlier in the thread, it's your own fault if you left that access open for a stranger or other ne'er-do-well to delete your games. Protecting that sort of thing is probably why they spun all the normal Steam features off into their own site to begin with.

3333 Comments. 167 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo