Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 3413 (Veteran)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > NVIDIA GTX 1000 Series Announced
62. Re: NVIDIA GTX 1000 Series Announced May 8, 2016, 15:34 jacobvandy

Mastaba wrote on May 8, 2016, 14:37:
I have a feeling the simultaneous multi-monitor setup shown will not really get used all that much because getting that to work exactly correctly requires knowing exactly the size, location and orientation of each monitor with respect to some reference point. That is a difficult thing to do manually, and expecting a consumer to have the skill and the tools necessary to determine that, and tell the game that is a bit much. This require knowledge and skill. At minimum they will need to have some fool-proof way of calibrating the setup, which they didn't even hint at.

To be fair, if you can't handle that you probably wouldn't or shouldn't have a multi-monitor setup anyway.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > NVIDIA GTX 1000 Series Announced
33. Re: NVIDIA GTX 1000 Series Announced May 7, 2016, 19:02 jacobvandy

wtf_man wrote on May 7, 2016, 18:07:
Well... I actually watched the whole reveal last night... and that simultaneous multi-projection tech is pretty neat... can drive 3 monitors with 2 angled in and no distortion / warping (perspective is corrected).

That was neat, yes, but don't forget that right after that they showed how that same technique is used to eliminate warping in VR, by compositing 4 angled views on each eye. All eight of those perspectives are supposedly done in a single pass, which is more efficient than the way it's done now, where the two different versions of the same frame are rendered completely separately.

His exact words were "for free," meaning there is no loss of performance in VR versus a single monitor, but I dunno about that... The demo they showed depicted a VR scene varying between 60-70 fps until they activated this new rendering mode and maxed it out for a solid 96.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III Announced
13. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III Announced May 3, 2016, 23:23 jacobvandy

Like others have said, it had better be a complete 180 from the direction they took DOW 2... Everything they've done since then has been pretty crappy, at least in comparison to the greatness that was DOW 1 + expansions and COH 1 + first expansion.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2016, 15:58 jacobvandy

Pigeon wrote on May 1, 2016, 15:43:
jacobvandy wrote on May 1, 2016, 15:01:
jdreyer wrote on May 1, 2016, 14:56:
I heard Texas got 6.5 trillion gallons of rain during a 24 hour period a couple days ago. That's insane.

That's it, we need a giant canal flowing from Texas to California... Build it along the Mexican border and kill two birds with one stone!

So long as you don't mind taking some water moccasins and gators with it.

Haha, all of that will just get stuck in one of the jumbo Brita filters... The zoos will make weekly pickups from the treatment plants. Until that point, they'll serve nicely as added deterrents to border-hopping.

7. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2016, 15:01 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on May 1, 2016, 14:56:
I heard Texas got 6.5 trillion gallons of rain during a 24 hour period a couple days ago. That's insane.

That's it, we need a giant canal flowing from Texas to California... Build it along the Mexican border and kill two birds with one stone!

News Comments > Diablo III Season Six Begins
6. Re: Diablo III Season Six Begins May 1, 2016, 03:36 jacobvandy

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 30, 2016, 20:05:
nin wrote on Apr 30, 2016, 18:52:
Plz blizzcon, one more expansion! I've not given up hope, though logic says I certainly should have...

Yes, Diablo 3 is pretty much over. Blizzard's C team is running the game now, all their talent moved off to other games, after the legal issues with the AH and relatively meager sales of the expansion, Blizzard has effectively written the game off.

Highly unlikely to have an expansion or anything but more massively inflated numbers from this point forward.

The only way to 'save' the game would be to open it up to modding and offline play on PC(PS version already has offline of course).

Last summer, Diablo III officially broke into the Top 10 best-selling video games of all time with the announcement that 30+ million units had been sold across all platforms... It's the only Blizzard title to even come close and has beaten any individual Call of Duty. I don't pretend to know what they are or aren't doing with the game or the franchise, but to say the game has been anything but a HUGE success for them is patently untrue.

News Comments > Killing Floor 2 Bonus Weekend
2. Re: Killing Floor 2 Bonus Weekend Apr 29, 2016, 03:41 jacobvandy

Er, they announced a very clear 'THERE WILL BE NO WIPES, DON'T WORRY, PLAY ALL YOU WANT' at E3 last year... I'm not aware of any indication that they've gone back on that.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 27, 2016, 21:13 jacobvandy

It's possible he'll rot without ever getting a trial... That's "justice" today. Doesn't matter how much you think he may deserve it, everybody deserves their due process.  

News Comments > Evening Patches
1. Re: Evening Patches Apr 26, 2016, 23:35 jacobvandy

A lot of good changes in 2.4.1, lots of buffs across the board, but nothing too major. Long and short of the legendary gem changes is that build-specific ones like Enforcer and Simplicity's Strength should be competitive again and general builds that used Taeguk before will use BotP instead, or possibly Stricken. It's good to see the Barb whirlwind ring is not completely useless anymore! We need more alternatives to Convention of Elements...  

News Comments > Blizzard on Vanilla WoW Shutdown
35. Re: Blizzard on Vanilla WoW Shutdown Apr 26, 2016, 16:09 jacobvandy

Wallshadows wrote on Apr 26, 2016, 14:59:
I don't know if Mark Kern really has enough pull to appease Mike Morhaime even with all those signatures. It has been a long time since he was a part of Blizzard and he hasn't been doing himself any favors lately either by bringing Red 5 and Firefall to the brink of destruction before being kicked out for sheer incompetence.

I wouldn't be surprised if he sees it as a potential job offer to lead a legacy project which is why he is pushing so hard for it but I'm not sure the gaming world wants anything to do with him now. He's 12 years too late to cash in on his work.

Index finger meets nose. Kern is a whackjob.

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Apr 23, 2016, 03:30 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on Apr 22, 2016, 23:33:
Overwatch Cups Now Available at Taco Bell - Collect All Four…

Real deal, or Onion article? Is that a thing now, fast food tie-ins with games?

Maybe it's been a thing for a while, I never got to fast food places.

I remember McDonald's had Mario toys when I was a kid, in between a lot of classic Disney stuff. I'm not sure they even have toys with Happy Meals anymore... If they do, they're probably not worth a damn, like CrackerJack prizes.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Apr 22, 2016, 16:53 jacobvandy

The first day of Postal 2, for sure. Other days of the week had similarly simplistic objectives, and if you really wanted to you could just beat the whole game in no time. So yeah, same concept, I dunno if they take it in those dark directions, though.  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Apr 22, 2016, 13:23 jacobvandy

"Town of Things is a game that gives you the simple mundane task of getting milk. You can simply walk to the store, buy milk, and roll credits. However, if you explore the town, you will get tangled up in all sorts of wacky adventures."…

That's the plot to Postal!

7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2016, 13:10 jacobvandy

Coincidentally, I've been going through Joss Whedon's Dollhouse on Netflix lately and just saw a relevant episode. I wish I could find a video clip of it because Tudyk's portrayal of a neurotic environmentalist is really great, but:

Earth gets one day, alright, the other 364 we're-we're-we're cranking the AC in our Hummer and then one day a year, ooh, we separate the plastic! You know what I think? I think that once we die out - a couple hundred years - Earth is gonna have a People Day, you know, to remember us. One day a year she is gonna laugh and laugh and shake our bones.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 22, 2016, 12:37 jacobvandy

Beamer wrote on Apr 22, 2016, 11:46:
nin wrote on Apr 22, 2016, 10:25:
sauron wrote on Apr 22, 2016, 10:19:
That Amazon thing sounds a bit silly. I mean, it's not like there's any competition out there, right?

As much as I love amazon, that's a really shitty thing to do on their part...hopefully they get enough push back to reverse it.

Here in the US, I'm running into a similar issue where certain food items can only be purchased with Amazon Pantry, which includes a shipping charge even if you have prime. And if you don't want to do that, you seemingly can't buy the item (unless I missed something, but I've looked around).

Pantry items are items Amazon cannot sell profitably. Think a 12 pack of Coke, or a $2.99 bottle of shampoo. Those things cost less than the shipping. Amazon has sold them for a while, hoping people build a big enough basket to make shipping profitable, or having the vendor fund the cost if they're trying to use Amazon to build awareness.

Pantry is essentially forcing a big enough basket. It's 40lbs, I think.

It isn't great, and I won't use it because I live in an apartment that probably can't hold 40lbs of stuff, but I get why they're doing it. Selling someone a 12 pack of Coke for $4.99 that takes $8 to ship isn't good business.

You're right, any food items that aren't Pantry-exclusive are sold in enough bulk that it justifies shipping independently, but AFAIK Pantry goes by volume first. There's no way a bag of chips weighs 5-10% of a 40-pound limit. They don't have a very good selection of canned goods, yet, otherwise I might have tested this weight restriction by now...

I don't order from the Pantry very often, it's a neat concept but they need to offer more things I can't get at my local supermarket... I still have to go there regularly anyway for the perishable items. Also, you can offset some of the shipping cost with a voucher they give you for designating a normal Prime order as no-rush.

News Comments > Rocket League Free Weekend
5. Re: Rocket League Free Weekend Apr 22, 2016, 12:22 jacobvandy

Timing is a little off, wouldn't it be better to do this after the impending content patch? Ah, well, fantastic game!  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2016, 17:12 jacobvandy

Retired wrote on Apr 19, 2016, 16:09:
The Diablo-ture of 1812. Thanks PurifiedAwesome.

Seems to be some mods/overlays in that video. Anyone point me to safe mods to add to my game?

If you're referring to the loot icons, those have been an option in the game for a while.

News Comments > Ubisoft to Punish The Division Exploiters
3. Re: Ubisoft to Punish The Division Exploiters Apr 18, 2016, 13:11 jacobvandy

Yeah, they don't care about any of the other exploiters, just the ones trivializing their fancy new raid.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
1. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 17, 2016, 15:10 jacobvandy

Played about 4 hours of DSIII yesterday and loving it so far... It's more of the same great trial-and-error exploration in new environments with new dangers and surprises, which is exactly what I was expecting.  

News Comments > RDR2 Map Leaked?
14. Re: RDR2 Map Leaked? Apr 16, 2016, 18:20 jacobvandy

Dev wrote on Apr 16, 2016, 17:14:
(even though they started as a PC game company).

Interesting tidbit about Rockstar... No, they really didn't. They were founded on the idea that video games should have more mass appeal and compete with Hollywood films in the entertainment space. They were visionaries, really, but they wouldn't be where they are today without their partnership with Sony to make the GTA III trilogy as cornerstone PlayStation exclusives. Consoles are simply how you reach the widest audience.

This is from an interview with Dan Houser, speaking of their business strategy after founding Rockstar and entering the US market:

We believed that the business was changing more rapidly than [Take-Two] or anyone else appreciated. Based on the products they were making, they seemed to think that interactive entertainment appealed to three discreet audiences: a very solemn and serious PC audience playing only strategy games and first person shooters; sports fans playing simulations of their favourite sports; and children. We felt that video games, interactive entertainment or whatever you wanted to call it could also appeal to a bigger, wider audience - older people who enjoyed playing games, but did not do so to the exclusion of everything else. People with an interest in film, music, books and a broader sense of popular culture.

At the same time, we felt that not only was the content of video games becoming very staid, focused primarily on fantasy, children’s characters or science fiction, but also the game play of those games was becoming very predictable. All that mattered was making games that looked better and better, but did little to make environments more interactive or compelling. From the start our aim was twofold - to make games that we wouldn’t be embarrassed to be caught playing ourselves and to expand the experience of playing those games by making them less limited and more engaging with the production values of movies.

3413 Comments. 171 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo