Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 4304 (Master)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Feb 18, 2019, 13:41 jacobvandy

In Elite you have the option to self-destruct and respawn at a station any time you want, so being "stranded" for any length of time is a personal choice you make. Though it's no surprise that these weirdos who spend hundreds of hours flying nowhere would refuse to do that, they're role-playing.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > PlanetSide Arena Delayed Again
3. Re: PlanetSide Arena Delayed Again Feb 16, 2019, 14:34 jacobvandy

Overon wrote on Feb 16, 2019, 13:18:
How can a visually inferior and probably overall inferior game to Apex that charges money to buy compete with Apex? Apex pretty much means Planetside is dead on arrival.

Maybe that's why it's delayed again. Although this new PlanetSide is not expressly a BR game, that's just one of the many modes they're going to have. Plus Apex is such a small scale that they don't have usable vehicles, whereas this one will let you use quads, jeeps, APCs, tanks, etc. in battles with up to 500 total players... They compete in the sense that they're both shooters, but they're hardly the same experience.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 15, 2019, 18:21 jacobvandy

Why are boobies called 'fan service' but gratuitous violence isn't?  

News Comments > Anthem Launches on Origin Access
2. Re: Anthem Launches on Origin Access Feb 15, 2019, 12:39 jacobvandy

Xero wrote on Feb 15, 2019, 12:21:
So 15 dollars a month gives you access to the full t!ts verson of Anthem or you could pay what was it? 80 dollars for that version?

So play the hell out of it for 2-3 months, 30-45 dollars worth, plus access to the rest of the library. Quit the subscription, and you saved yourself 40+ dollars on the full t!ts version of Anthem. Good idea.

This "full tits" version you speak of is just a digital deluxe with soundtrack and a handful of in-game items.. Not really worth getting excited about. From what I've read about the Premier sub, it doesn't include actual DLCs unless or until they come out with the GOTY edition later on and upgrade the service to include access to that. I don't know if Anthem will be getting any expansions like Destiny, though, but if it did I think you'd have to shell out extra for that if you don't want to wait.

News Comments > Metro Exodus Reviews
54. Re: Metro Exodus Reviews Feb 14, 2019, 16:43 jacobvandy

Beamer wrote on Feb 14, 2019, 11:05:
Creston wrote on Feb 14, 2019, 10:56:
Exodus comes out tomorrow, plenty of reviews available. Far Cry 5 In Pink comes out tomorrow, plenty of reviews available.

Anthem comes out tomorrow... *crickets*

Good old EA.

It's almost entirely multiplayer, right? There are never really reviews on those prior to launch. Not anymore. It's impossible to evaluate a multiplayer game when it's either in beta or just in press preview. It's pretty much irresponsible to do so.

Which doesn't mean it isn't a bad game, but I wouldn't expect any reviews at launch, and wouldn't trust any reviews at launch.

It's not Battlefield or COD, it's a story-driven co-op game that is also supposed to be able to be played entirely by yourself. There's no reason why it couldn't be reviewed before release. Though as mentioned, the early access period means there will be plenty of real-world impressions soon, before the official launch date.

News Comments > Metro Exodus Reviews
14. Re: Metro Exodus Reviews Feb 13, 2019, 21:42 jacobvandy

Steele Johnson wrote on Feb 13, 2019, 21:36:
An atmospheric, open world, single-player fps with no microtransactions? Thatís a bonus these days! Definite buy for me. I donít care which store I download it from lol. I support the devs that deliver a complete game.

Might wanna google 'Metro Exodus expansion pass.' Last I heard, they were pre-selling that, too, without even announcing what's going to be included.

News Comments > Wild Terra Online Goes Free-to-Play
2. Re: Wild Terra Online Goes Free-to-Play Feb 13, 2019, 11:37 jacobvandy

It's hard to tell whether they're trying to sound like another popular MMO with that name, or if it's like those umptillion mobile games where they basically picked it out of a random phrase generator.  

News Comments > Activision Results & Layoffs; New CoD This Year
4. Re: Activision Results & Layoffs; New CoD This Year Feb 12, 2019, 21:58 jacobvandy

"The company said it would be cutting mainly non-game-development departments and bolstering its development staff for franchises like Call of Duty and Diablo."

So what were these upward of 800 jobs that were not related to game development and deemed unnecessary enough to eliminate despite record earnings?

News Comments > RAGE 2 Trailer
9. Re: RAGE 2 Trailer Feb 12, 2019, 14:04 jacobvandy

SMITE wrote on Feb 12, 2019, 13:37:
What WAS the ending? Never finished it.

It really did seem like they ran out of time or budget. IIRC it was this underground bunker or something you go into, you're killing a bunch of enemies and along the way you find this humongous cannon weapon that is clearly their homage to the BFG. So you're thinking, oh cool, it's ramping up for the badass end boss fight! But nope... You push some buttons in a room with a handful of trash mobs jumping around at you, then the really short cutscene plays and ends on a cliffhanger. I wonder if they're even continuing that with this sequel, or if the whole "story" from the first was scrapped entirely.

News Comments > Starbreeze Sells System Shock 3 Publishing Rights Back to OtherSide
2. Re: Starbreeze Sells System Shock 3 Publishing Rights Back to OtherSide Feb 12, 2019, 12:53 jacobvandy

El Pit wrote on Feb 12, 2019, 12:02:
I still think Arkane's Prey was System Shock 3 to some extent. I absolutely loved that game!

Same here, though I feel they did a bad job promoting it. It looked like some generic "scary" game in the previews, so that along with my disappointment in them canceling the real Prey sequel led to my basically ignoring it until it had a big discount. All they had to do was say upfront that it's the new System Shock/Bioshock and I'd have been ready for it on day one. Unfortunately, it seems I wasn't alone in my apprehension, and overall sales were pretty poor AFAIK.

News Comments > Apex Legends Passes 25M Users in a Week
8. Re: Apex Legends Passes 25M Users in a Week Feb 11, 2019, 21:11 jacobvandy

I played some Friday, it is pretty cool if you're looking for something more realistic than Fortnite but not so realistic as PUBG and the reduced downtime between matches is nice. But goddamn is the matchmaking piss-poor, if there's any at all... You'd think with millions of people in-game that we as three newbs spending our first few hours with it would not have to be rofl-stomped every match by opponents who'd been playing pretty much non-stop since launch and have racked up hundreds or thousands of kills with a single class. Just like a successful F2P game needs the innumerable masses of freeloaders to sustain the top 1% of whales, a shooter needs some semblance of balance in player skill within a match or else it will not last.  

News Comments > The Division 2 Open Beta Plans Revealed
8. Re: The Division 2 Open Beta Plans Revealed Feb 11, 2019, 14:21 jacobvandy

Alamar wrote on Feb 11, 2019, 14:11:
And the super duper armored enemies... I don't mind some bullet spongyness in my shooters, but there appeared to be zero feedback on whether I was making any progress (with bullets; explosives showed some numbers, but were on a long ass cooldown, and grenades were scarce during a long, boss-only fight).

You can brute force through armor with bullets, but it's locational so it's best to drill the same exact spot. That's the long way, though, you're meant to find the weakness that will strip off most or all their armor pretty quickly. For example, in the hotel mission from the beta, they come right out and say to shoot his ammo belt. The same mechanic was present throughout the first game (you get a yellow hit indicator with special impact sound), they've only expanded on it.

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
2. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Feb 11, 2019, 13:17 jacobvandy

In the Top 10 games sold by retail shops in the UK? Looks that way, yeah.  

News Comments > Apex Legends Boasts 10M Players; 1M Concurrent
31. Re: Apex Legends Boasts 10M Players; 1M Concurrent Feb 8, 2019, 09:57 jacobvandy

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 8, 2019, 01:59:
jacobvandy wrote on Feb 7, 2019, 20:51:
necrosis wrote on Feb 7, 2019, 20:39:
Well the game is free so...

Nah man, that was my feeling too when they were boasting about a million people trying it, but a million playing at once is pretty impressive. The only question left is regarding staying power, will they be able to retain numbers like that once the EA marketing machine moves on to their next in line and the hype dies down?

What are you talking about? What marketing machine? The game was announced like one day before it was released. There was 0 marketing. All the hype is generated post-launch, usually by the players themselves and simple word of mouth. This is how games used to be made, way back in the early 90s.

Lmao.. How do you think people heard of the announcement livestream? EA has been tweeting more about this game for the past week than everything else combined, to their 5 million+ followers. Their name alone ensures every news outlet on the internet will post something about a new game when the press release comes across their desk (you don't see indies getting their gameplay trailer on somewhere like MSN.com). And as mentioned, they paid the most popular streamer on Twitch what I'm sure was a good amount of money to play this instead of the game he's earned his fortune and following from. I saw a full-page roadblock ad on Origin the first time I loaded it up this week, and it's been front and center on the PlayStation Store, probably Xbox, too..

Just because they didn't buy a Super Bowl ad for it, that doesn't mean the game hasn't benefited greatly from their influence in the industry. The machine still runs, still dwarfs anything a developer from the '90s could ever dream of, even when it's not at full capacity. Zampella is pretty popular for an individual dev, but he doesn't have the reach or the money to make a surprise launch work so well on his own.

News Comments > Apex Legends Boasts 10M Players; 1M Concurrent
4. Re: Apex Legends Boasts 10M Players; 1M Concurrent Feb 7, 2019, 20:51 jacobvandy

necrosis wrote on Feb 7, 2019, 20:39:
Well the game is free so...

Nah man, that was my feeling too when they were boasting about a million people trying it, but a million playing at once is pretty impressive. The only question left is regarding staying power, will they be able to retain numbers like that once the EA marketing machine moves on to their next in line and the hype dies down?

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Feb 7, 2019, 19:33 jacobvandy

Wallshadows wrote on Feb 7, 2019, 19:29:
Untie it from their own servers and enabling mod support would be a great start. What's one more Bethesda title modders have to fix.

That's what I've been waiting for, ever since they promised they'd do it at E3. I really wouldn't care if noone else were playing by the time it does happen, if it happens, since all I'd be interested in is taking an offline SP stroll through it once or twice.

News Comments > Mortal Kombat 11 Kabal Trailer
4. Re: Mortal Kombat 11 Kabal Trailer Feb 7, 2019, 15:06 jacobvandy

sliv wrote on Feb 7, 2019, 12:39:
"Eyeballs and skin falling off of his skull while dragging him on the ground, ending with a sliced filet of Subzero. Yeah, I'm out..."

Shit, if you made it that far, you could've held on a few more seconds for the climax!

News Comments > EA's "Difficult Quarter" Financials
17. Re: EA's Feb 6, 2019, 09:22 jacobvandy

Speaking of gamers being dumb.. ;p

That sentence is a summary of their releases for the year. He's simply saying the Star Wars game is supposed to come out in the fall, which is the same time their yearly sports games also come out.

This comment was edited on Feb 6, 2019, 09:32.

News Comments > Apex Legends Hits 1M Players Right Off
36. Re: Apex Legends Hits 1M Players Right Off Feb 5, 2019, 17:33 jacobvandy

Squirmer wrote on Feb 5, 2019, 17:19:
So this game requires Origin and you can't play it with Steam, and yet there's no mass outrage from angry gamers with boycott threats and review bombing of Respawn's other games? Curious hey.

EA owns them now, and before that they had an exclusive publishing contract anyway. So they can't be review bombed because all of their games have been Origin exclusive and Origin does not have customer reviews.

News Comments > Apex Legends Hits 1M Players Right Off
11. Re: Apex Legends Hits 1M Players Right Off Feb 5, 2019, 12:24 jacobvandy

Creston wrote on Feb 5, 2019, 11:43:
Yes, yes, free to play game in a popular genre gets a ton of players off the bat, NEWS AT 11!

Let's see how many players you have two months from now.

Yuuuup. RADICAL HEIGHTS was the number one game on Twitch for like, one day...

4304 Comments. 216 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo