Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 3674 (Veteran)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Adding Build Switching and Perfect Items
4. Re: Diablo III Adding Build Switching and Perfect Items Mar 17, 2017, 16:09 jacobvandy

Players endlessly clamor for new progression, that's where the idea for primals came from. However it was also player feedback that eliminated the power creep from this patch... Blizzard was ready to raise stat ranges again, but in response to the negative reaction they changed it to merely adding better chance of finding a perfect ancient. The most competitive players don't get any stronger with this update, it's the casuals who are getting a catch-up boost.

Several very nice QoL updates, too, though.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 15, 2017, 14:24 jacobvandy

Suckage wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 12:17:
I'm just about ready to switch back to dumbphones for when I travel.

I can imagine them asking to see your phone, then you flip it open and start to hand it over... They'll either shake their head and wave you through, or inform you you've just been "randomly selected" for a more thorough screening.

News Comments > Space Hulk: Deathwing Adds Content
5. Re: Space Hulk: Deathwing Adds Content Mar 15, 2017, 11:49 jacobvandy

It's a feature on Steam, lots of games allow opting in to beta versions of updates... Skyrim and Fallout 4 did that, too.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 14, 2017, 19:14 jacobvandy

If I can offer you some advice, sign up for an alert on a site like this one: https://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/nintendoswitch/

That's how I was able to get my Amazon pre-order six weeks ago, when the second wave was available for a whole 25 minutes or so. Also helped me nab an NES Classic last month.

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 14, 2017, 11:49 jacobvandy

The interesting thing is that most of these initial sales were hyped up pre-orders. People didn't quite know how amazing Zelda was until it was out, or at least until the reviews hit, but by then it was already very hard to find a system. It's sold out everywhere like the Wii was at first, except this is in March, not the week before Thanksgiving! There are still droves of people just aching to buy as soon as stock is replenished, if they're not giving in to the scalpers or settling for playing the game on Wii-U.  

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 13, 2017, 11:27 jacobvandy

It's PuyoPuyo/Tetris, not the traditional puzzle game but a mash-up with 4-player multi and a story mode campaign that has not yet been released outside of Japan. I wouldn't buy it anyway because it's not my cup of tea, but it's going to be $30 on PS4 so it's not that far out of the ordinary. The article mentions that putting games on these carts is more expensive than discs, which sounds pretty reasonable to me. Also, the price of digital having to be the same as physical is a law obeyed by all consoles, not just Nintendo.

Anyway, there are several indies on there available now for $10-20, so it's not some fundamental pricing issue so much as a few publishers testing the waters of how much they can get away with charging for games on a brand new platform. If the price is too high, people will wait for physical copies to be marked down... Publishers will take the hint eventually, if not just release digital-only.

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 2017, 11:47.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 11, 2017, 16:39 jacobvandy

You can plan as many projects as you want, doesn't mean you'll actually complete them. In this case, he'll die but they can still attach his name as producer to those films.  

News Comments > Hello Games New Project Plans
5. Re: Hello Games New Project Plans Mar 3, 2017, 11:04 jacobvandy

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 10:46:
Verno wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 10:12:
They made one of the largest disappointments in gaming history so I doubt I will be checking out their follow up. I don't feel like they've adequately delivered on the initial promises, let alone earned a reprieve on a sequel. Big meh.

Sean Murray lied his ass off about NMS too so whatever they say about this game, expect the opposite.

Think of this, many shit on EA games... well most still actively develop and fully focus on these offerings. I see if you put out a game in relatively the same shape but call it finished... you can just move on, fire and forget. So ponder that for a while, in a case like this EA has the advantage, still sole focus, at least for most.

Isn't it a bit early to be drinking?

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
10. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 3, 2017, 00:28 jacobvandy

Bumpy wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 20:24:
Why do people even use the app? What is wrong with sending and using MMS that comes with every phone sold.

MMS is slow as balls despite compressing the shit out of any picture (or even worse, video) you try to send, since they still use ancient transmission methods similar to simple texts rather than mobile data. Phone carriers could have provided Snapchat-like functionality long ago if they cared to, but as we've seen they're generally content with putting in the bare minimum of work to rake in their fat stacks of cash.

But I believe the biggest reason is the temporary nature of most Snaps... It really lowers the inhibitions when you know that nude pic you're sending isn't being downloaded to their phone. Yes, clever folk will take screenshots, but they detect that and rat you out to the sender. Which has led to a whole host of (sometimes malicious) apps meant just for capturing Snaps without detection.

Yep, that $30 billion was built in no small part by sexting Millenials.

News Comments > Game Developers Choice Awards
15. Re: Game Developers Choice Awards Mar 2, 2017, 18:05 jacobvandy

Kxmode wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 15:26:
jacobvandy wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 12:16:
Patently untrue. It's cooled off since last year, sure, but it's still in the Top 5 grossing apps on both iOS and Android and last month cleared $1 billion in total revenue. Do you know how many thousands of app devs would literally kill to have a product of theirs be that successful?

I originally wrote "nobody," but I knew that's simply not true. So I used "anyone hardly" based on my coworkers. There were at least 7-8 people enamored with p-GO at release. Almost daily they would coordinate outings during their lunch breaks to find Pokemon. None of them play today. They roll their eyes if reminded of the time they used to play. Just wanted to make clear that I was careful with the words I chose so as to not paint with an over-generalizing brush.

You weren't careful enough then, lol. "Hardly anyone" means the same thing as "next to nobody," so if all you meant was to say that the handful of people you know who used to play it don't anymore, you should have just been that specific. As opposed to the glib dismissal you decided on.

There's a fair chance it will go down in history as a fad that doesn't last much longer than it already has, but it was a global phenomenon that is still going strong in the mobile app business and so is well-deserving of such an award, IMO.

News Comments > Mass Effect Andromeda Multiplayer Beta Cancelled
7. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Multiplayer Beta Cancelled Mar 2, 2017, 13:29 jacobvandy

'Canceled' doesn't look right to me. Noah Webster was a jackass.  

News Comments > Game Developers Choice Awards
7. Re: Game Developers Choice Awards Mar 2, 2017, 12:16 jacobvandy

Kxmode wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 11:43:
Best Mobile/Handheld Game
Pokemon Go (Niantic)

Congrats to a game anyone hardly plays today.

Patently untrue. It's cooled off since last year, sure, but it's still in the Top 5 grossing apps on both iOS and Android and last month cleared $1 billion in total revenue. Do you know how many thousands of app devs would literally kill to have a product of theirs be that successful?

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Released
36. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Released Mar 1, 2017, 00:59 jacobvandy

Bullshit. You're not being "shortchanged" if you're still getting all of the backer rewards you were promised when you made your pledge. There was never any kind of guarantee that partnering with a retail publisher and offering a different CE was an impossibility, in fact it is a huge boon to the developer (that you as a backer supposedly support) to be able to make that kind of deal. So why the salt?

Some self-important fuckwit wrote:
This is not about demanding more for free. Or about the individual items made available to non-backers, but about showing some respect and allowing us the opportunity to also have access to these items. As a collector, these are the things I love about Collectors Editions, and why I explicitly backed at a higher tier.

The issue is backers being denied access to something despite being here from the very beginning, and ultimately being a primary reason that game even exists. Without us there would be no game. Without us Brian could not have gotten Techland on board to help with the console version. Without us, none of this would exist. So why then can we not be allowed to access any and all items that have been borne from our investment? I am sure some don't care, and that's fine. All I am asking for is for those of us that do care, can we please be given access to these items as well? We previously could add-on everything else that was available. Why not these? Why are we being excluded?

Backers have/had the same access to the retail CE as everyone else. You aren't an investor and you aren't entitled to some magical VIP status until the end of time just for being a backer who put in money for a game sight-unseen. You are thanked profusely by the devs and you might even get your name in the credits, but beyond that, you are still Joe Schmoe gamer nobody.

If it's cheaper than the backer CE, that's because a major retail publisher has lower production and distribution costs than an independent customer putting in a small order for only a few thousand units of tailor-made items, AND they are not concerned at all with, oh, I don't know... actually using as much money as possible to make the game!?

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Released
34. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 28, 2017, 21:48 jacobvandy

Task wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 13:27:
It's not a Bethesda "RPG" which is the best selling point for me. I guess I'm one of the rare ones that really liked Wasteland 2, but hey everyone has their own tastes.

I have to wait for the boxed collectors so it'll be a bit before I can offer my take.

You get a digital copy with the CE, so you can get your key from their backer portal and play now!

News Comments > Avatar Game Announced
17. Re: Avatar Game Announced Feb 28, 2017, 21:34 jacobvandy

That older game was a great showcase for NVIDIA 3D Vision and the like, IIRC they made it specifically with 3D in mind as they did the movie. But yeah, it's not one I ended up ever playing all the way through, lol.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 28, 2017, 21:02 jacobvandy

Slick wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 19:49:
Honestly I don't think that there's many major studios even doing that, as the DX12 population in PC gamers is statistically low.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

48% already have Windows 10 and DX12 GPU... This segment has tripled in size the past year and a half. Then there's another 25% who have the GPU and would just have to upgrade their OS.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Feb 28, 2017, 20:49 jacobvandy

That's a shame.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
5. Re: Game Reviews Feb 28, 2017, 12:07 jacobvandy

The price is $45 in real dollars. :p  

News Comments > Minecraft Sells 122M
2. Re: Minecraft Sells 122M Feb 28, 2017, 11:16 jacobvandy

Lol, I finally went through the last few seasons of Veep this past week and caught the random reference, "Do you think I wanna be in this fucking Minecraft piece of shit?"

One of these: http://images.thecarconnection.com/hug/2014-nissan-cube_100440691_h.jpg

News Comments > Twitch to Sell Games
7. Re: Twitch to Sell Games Feb 27, 2017, 16:14 jacobvandy

The FAQ does mention the games can be downloaded and played via the Twitch launcher OR existing services including Uplay. I thought this thing would just be an integration with the Amazon digital store, but the way they're talking about launch partners (developers whose games will be available) does make it sound much, much more limited.  

3674 Comments. 184 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo