Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 3383 (Veteran)
User ID 56195
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Apr 23, 2016, 03:30 jacobvandy
jdreyer wrote on Apr 22, 2016, 23:33:
Overwatch Cups Now Available at Taco Bell - Collect All Four…

Real deal, or Onion article? Is that a thing now, fast food tie-ins with games?

Maybe it's been a thing for a while, I never got to fast food places.

I remember McDonald's had Mario toys when I was a kid, in between a lot of classic Disney stuff. I'm not sure they even have toys with Happy Meals anymore... If they do, they're probably not worth a damn, like CrackerJack prizes.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Apr 22, 2016, 16:53 jacobvandy
The first day of Postal 2, for sure. Other days of the week had similarly simplistic objectives, and if you really wanted to you could just beat the whole game in no time. So yeah, same concept, I dunno if they take it in those dark directions, though.  
News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Apr 22, 2016, 13:23 jacobvandy
"Town of Things is a game that gives you the simple mundane task of getting milk. You can simply walk to the store, buy milk, and roll credits. However, if you explore the town, you will get tangled up in all sorts of wacky adventures."…

That's the plot to Postal!
News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2016, 13:10 jacobvandy
Coincidentally, I've been going through Joss Whedon's Dollhouse on Netflix lately and just saw a relevant episode. I wish I could find a video clip of it because Tudyk's portrayal of a neurotic environmentalist is really great, but:

Earth gets one day, alright, the other 364 we're-we're-we're cranking the AC in our Hummer and then one day a year, ooh, we separate the plastic! You know what I think? I think that once we die out - a couple hundred years - Earth is gonna have a People Day, you know, to remember us. One day a year she is gonna laugh and laugh and shake our bones.
News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 22, 2016, 12:37 jacobvandy
Beamer wrote on Apr 22, 2016, 11:46:
nin wrote on Apr 22, 2016, 10:25:
sauron wrote on Apr 22, 2016, 10:19:
That Amazon thing sounds a bit silly. I mean, it's not like there's any competition out there, right?

As much as I love amazon, that's a really shitty thing to do on their part...hopefully they get enough push back to reverse it.

Here in the US, I'm running into a similar issue where certain food items can only be purchased with Amazon Pantry, which includes a shipping charge even if you have prime. And if you don't want to do that, you seemingly can't buy the item (unless I missed something, but I've looked around).

Pantry items are items Amazon cannot sell profitably. Think a 12 pack of Coke, or a $2.99 bottle of shampoo. Those things cost less than the shipping. Amazon has sold them for a while, hoping people build a big enough basket to make shipping profitable, or having the vendor fund the cost if they're trying to use Amazon to build awareness.

Pantry is essentially forcing a big enough basket. It's 40lbs, I think.

It isn't great, and I won't use it because I live in an apartment that probably can't hold 40lbs of stuff, but I get why they're doing it. Selling someone a 12 pack of Coke for $4.99 that takes $8 to ship isn't good business.

You're right, any food items that aren't Pantry-exclusive are sold in enough bulk that it justifies shipping independently, but AFAIK Pantry goes by volume first. There's no way a bag of chips weighs 5-10% of a 40-pound limit. They don't have a very good selection of canned goods, yet, otherwise I might have tested this weight restriction by now...

I don't order from the Pantry very often, it's a neat concept but they need to offer more things I can't get at my local supermarket... I still have to go there regularly anyway for the perishable items. Also, you can offset some of the shipping cost with a voucher they give you for designating a normal Prime order as no-rush.
News Comments > Rocket League Free Weekend
5. Re: Rocket League Free Weekend Apr 22, 2016, 12:22 jacobvandy
Timing is a little off, wouldn't it be better to do this after the impending content patch? Ah, well, fantastic game!  
15. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2016, 17:12 jacobvandy
Retired wrote on Apr 19, 2016, 16:09:
The Diablo-ture of 1812. Thanks PurifiedAwesome.

Seems to be some mods/overlays in that video. Anyone point me to safe mods to add to my game?

If you're referring to the loot icons, those have been an option in the game for a while.
News Comments > Ubisoft to Punish The Division Exploiters
3. Re: Ubisoft to Punish The Division Exploiters Apr 18, 2016, 13:11 jacobvandy
Yeah, they don't care about any of the other exploiters, just the ones trivializing their fancy new raid.  
News Comments > Steam Top 10
1. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 17, 2016, 15:10 jacobvandy
Played about 4 hours of DSIII yesterday and loving it so far... It's more of the same great trial-and-error exploration in new environments with new dangers and surprises, which is exactly what I was expecting.  
News Comments > RDR2 Map Leaked?
14. Re: RDR2 Map Leaked? Apr 16, 2016, 18:20 jacobvandy
Dev wrote on Apr 16, 2016, 17:14:
(even though they started as a PC game company).

Interesting tidbit about Rockstar... No, they really didn't. They were founded on the idea that video games should have more mass appeal and compete with Hollywood films in the entertainment space. They were visionaries, really, but they wouldn't be where they are today without their partnership with Sony to make the GTA III trilogy as cornerstone PlayStation exclusives. Consoles are simply how you reach the widest audience.

This is from an interview with Dan Houser, speaking of their business strategy after founding Rockstar and entering the US market:

We believed that the business was changing more rapidly than [Take-Two] or anyone else appreciated. Based on the products they were making, they seemed to think that interactive entertainment appealed to three discreet audiences: a very solemn and serious PC audience playing only strategy games and first person shooters; sports fans playing simulations of their favourite sports; and children. We felt that video games, interactive entertainment or whatever you wanted to call it could also appeal to a bigger, wider audience - older people who enjoyed playing games, but did not do so to the exclusion of everything else. People with an interest in film, music, books and a broader sense of popular culture.

At the same time, we felt that not only was the content of video games becoming very staid, focused primarily on fantasy, children’s characters or science fiction, but also the game play of those games was becoming very predictable. All that mattered was making games that looked better and better, but did little to make environments more interactive or compelling. From the start our aim was twofold - to make games that we wouldn’t be embarrassed to be caught playing ourselves and to expand the experience of playing those games by making them less limited and more engaging with the production values of movies.
News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 14, 2016, 13:53 jacobvandy
News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 13, 2016, 13:43 jacobvandy
That article doesn't make a very good case... So I guess there've been a few instances where some moron crashes a Mustang into a crowd? Then it becomes the butt of a joke that catches on and is repeated ad nauseum because that's what the internet is for. Doesn't mean it's actually hated, just that people will latch on to anything they can to try and be cool.  
News Comments > Rockstar North Lawsuit
6. Re: Rockstar North Lawsuit Apr 12, 2016, 19:30 jacobvandy
I'm grabbin' mah popcorn, too!
News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 8, 2016, 13:49 jacobvandy
Haven't logged on to Steam lately? Vive and SteamVR officially launched a few days ago, it's plastered all over the client. Seen reviews of the hardware in many of the usual places, too.  
7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 8, 2016, 12:12 jacobvandy
That story reminds me of my buddy getting super excited to find out we were in the same DayZ server as a streamer he liked to watch, lol... He'd spend an entire afternoon stalking them just so he could appear for a few seconds on their stream, usually killing them.  
News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
4. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Apr 6, 2016, 21:48 jacobvandy
Yeah, I bet it would have made it if it were on Kickstarter. I get where they're coming from, thinking like Valve about the line between PC desktop and living room gaming becoming blurred, but I'm also in the camp of people who already invested heavily into a console version and wouldn't be interested in moving over for a straight port. They would have to offer something completely new if they wanted support from more than newcomers and casual fans who've stuck to whatever comes on the disc.  
News Comments > The Division Incursion Details
3. Re: The Division Incursion Details Apr 6, 2016, 11:53 jacobvandy
Increased costs for converting crafting materials and crafting High-End items:

• 10 Standard (Green) materials instead of 5 to craft 1 Specialized (Blue) material

• 15 Specialized (Blue) materials instead of 5 to craft 1 High-End (Gold) material

• 10 High-End (Gold) materials instead of 8 to craft 1 lvl 31 High-End (Gold) item

• Changed deconstruction yield of Standard (Green) and High-End (Gold) items:

• Deconstructing a Standard (Green) item yields 1 Standard material instead of 2

• Deconstructing a High-End (Gold) item yields 1 High-End material instead of 2

• They didn't just increase the cost of crafting the best items, they're fucking all high-level crafting across the board, hard. As if you didn't already have to craft everything multiple times just to get something usable out of the RNG...
    News Comments > The Division Incursion Details
    1. Re: The Division Incursion Details Apr 6, 2016, 11:11 jacobvandy
    Crazy stiff crafting nerf in there... Just forcing people to do even more farming.  
    News Comments > Fallout 4 Wasteland Workshop Next Week
    4. Re: Fallout 4 Wasteland Workshop Next Week Apr 5, 2016, 22:33 jacobvandy
    Nucas wrote on Apr 5, 2016, 21:08:
    they focused on big content-addition dlc for their past few games, it's a shame to see them returning to basically horse armor. hopefully this junk is just cash grab filler between real dlc content.

i guess the lively mod life of skyrim has convinced them they can convert those downloads into sales and turn FO4 into a steady income platform of sorts. they're probably right.

What are you talking about? Skyrim and Fallout 3 both had 'horse armor' DLCs along with the bigger ones. Next month they're putting out an expansion they're saying includes the biggest land mass they've ever added to a game. And there's more to come later that they've not talked about yet, but we know they're large enough in scope that they felt it necessary to raise the price of the Season Pass.
    News Comments > Overwatch Widowmaker Cinematic
    12. Re: Overwatch Widowmaker Cinematic Apr 4, 2016, 13:49 jacobvandy
    KS wrote on Apr 4, 2016, 13:23:
    "We don't want the youths of today learning the bad things of the past -- the only skin we want the modern young man seeing is the 'skin' on the surface of burst organs!"

You say this jokingly, but it is a rather stark realization to make: what if we're going full circle, and the blowback against "sexism" and "sexualization" eventually results in stuff like Victorian dresses and swimsuits that show nothing but bare hands and feet become the norm again... Then of course the same type of people push back against that "oppression" and we're back to bikinis another few decades later?
    3383 Comments. 170 pages. Viewing page 7.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News logo