Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 3674 (Veteran)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Apr 12, 2017, 15:24 jacobvandy

"Beating," really? Rodney King just rolled over in his grave...

I have sympathy for people who get fucked over by airlines, I've been there myself. But I have very little for a stubborn old man that defies not only the airline authorities, but also police officers on-scene to the point of needing to be dragged away kicking and screaming like a fucking toddler. The way he wanders back onto the plane afterward and trots down the aisle babbling incessantly completes the picture of oblivious petulance.

Like it or not, when you fly you are at the mercy of the airline. You can either cooperate with the way they run things like a civilized human being or you can choose another mode of transport. Declining to volunteer to give up your seat is fine, everyone did that. But when push comes to shove (no pun intended), the three others chosen to leave did so without incident.

This man, on the other hand, decided to cause a disruption for everyone else involved. Then when the police got involved he defied them, too. I'm as concerned about excessive use of force as the next guy, but I was raised to respect officers and comply when they tell you to do something. It's one thing to protest what a flight attendant says, but if the cops show up you should realize that shit just got real and change your tune. At that point you're a trespasser, it's been decided you need to leave and continuing to refuse just makes it worse. Be a man and walk out of there on your own two legs.

Edit: Damn it, CJ. I knew I took too long typing...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > KOTOR Reboot & New BioWare IP Rumors
14. Re: KOTOR Reboot & New BioWare IP Rumor Apr 11, 2017, 14:19 jacobvandy

007Bistromath wrote on Apr 11, 2017, 13:55:
"Rumors of new KOTOR..."

[my face lights up]

"...reboot with co-op."

[I am swallowing vomit]

A lot of poor reading comprehension in here today... Settle your tum-tum, the KOTOR reboot is a SEPARATE PROJECT than the new sci-fi IP described as Destiny-style semi-MMO with co-op.

Though it does make you wonder why BioWare wants to juggle at least three different sci-fi IPs. What's gonna distinguish this new one from Mass Effect and Star Wars?

News Comments > Minecraft Adding Real-Money Marketplace
7. Re: Minecraft Adding Real-Money Marketplace Apr 10, 2017, 12:23 jacobvandy

Wallshadows wrote on Apr 10, 2017, 10:42:
Soooooo what does this mean to us folk who use things like DireWolf20 and Sphax PureBDCraft texture packs?

Well, they only list Pocket Edition and Windows 10 Edition, which have nothing to do with the core PC (Java) version. So carry on.

Blackhawk wrote on Apr 10, 2017, 11:54:
What an odd decision. Minecraft is well past its prime, and is a game which is already played almost entirely with free mods and skins.

There just doesn't seem to be a market here.

Wildly inaccurate. Not only is it still growing, but it's doing so faster than ever before. They reached the 100M milestone last June, then in February it was 122M. In that same time they went from 40M monthly active players to 55M.

Consider that it took 5 1/2-ish years for that first 100M, then only 9 months for the next 22M... If Minecraft isn't in its prime now, then it hasn't even reached it yet.

This comment was edited on Apr 10, 2017, 12:38.

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Monthly Updates Planned; New Expansion Details
12. Re: Battlefield 1 Monthly Updates Planned; New Expansion Details Apr 9, 2017, 04:01 jacobvandy

OldDirtyEwok wrote on Apr 8, 2017, 23:24:
DangerDog wrote on Apr 8, 2017, 23:16:
Player population is pretty low on PC, only way I'd play on console is with mouse and keyboard support.

https://battlefieldtracker.com/bf1/insights/population

What the hell are you talking about, 35000 is low?? some games I play on PC barely have 1000 people.

Seriously... May not be mega-popular, but 35k peak puts it up there with the Top 20 Steam games.

News Comments > Terraria: Otherworld Developer Switch
13. Re: Terraria: Otherworld Developer Switch Apr 5, 2017, 20:56 jacobvandy

I applaud them for their dedication to quality control, but damn, I was hoping to play it this year... At this rate, we may see Terraria 2 release first!  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 5, 2017, 18:36 jacobvandy

Creston wrote on Apr 5, 2017, 12:53:
Why on earth would you pay money to livestream Thursday Night Football???? For those twelve Detroit Lions / Jacksonville Jaguars / Cleveland Browns fans who don't have TV?

I bet they said something similar about scheduling a game for Monday nights, however many years ago... Thursday may end up being the only game a growing number of people watch, simply because it's the one shown on Amazon Video. If they build an audience, the more popular teams will come.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 4, 2017, 20:55 jacobvandy

It's a load of over-hyped bullshit, so of course the Daily Mail is running with it... One guy posts a picture to Reddit (using highly accurate measurement tools, lol), a few others reply with "oh hey, now that you mention it, I think mine's warping, too, must be the heat!" and so now it's a fact that all Switch consoles are melting after a few dozen hours in the dock.

I don't know what that guy did for it to happen (assuming he's not a complete fuckwit who bent it purposely), but I've played easily over 200 hours docked so far and mine's fine. More likely there's some kind of manufacturing defect that wasn't caught by QA, so his was either warped to begin with or was made susceptible to being warped by normal use. I give him credit for the follow-up video he did, praising Nintendo for how their support staff has helped him and emphasizing that it's more than likely an isolated incident, but as always, there's no putting the genie back in the bottle.

Reporters ripping their headlines from Reddit have pulled the same shit over docks scratching screens or cracks forming in the casing, as if all 2 million+ systems have these issues. They don't. There would have to be thousands of reports to raise the possibility of it being an inherent design flaw, not mere dozens by a vocal minority of a minority.

News Comments > Steam Discovery Changes Will "Fight Fake Games"
18. Re: Endless Space 2 Announced Apr 4, 2017, 14:12 jacobvandy

Bitterbug wrote on Apr 4, 2017, 11:19:
I wondered what the point of the obvious fake/troll games were. Stuff nobody in their right mind would even pay a dollar for. But then how do you get someone to buy the cards for something like that?

Cards lead to profile backgrounds and emotes when you craft the badges. All you have to do is come up with a popular emote, like bacon or cookie or heart (just a few examples I can think of), which will be in high demand on the Marketplace to the tune of several dollars, even $10+ for a single one. The price of the cards go up along with that, which leads to people actually buying the game just to get them if it ends up being cheaper that way. You don't even have to play it, just leave it running for a few hours to get the drops, which then prevents you from refunding it...

It's a whole big thing, lol. There have been many instances of a no-name indie becoming popular just because they were clever in their implementation of cards, so it's not surprising to see that used as a crutch to sell shovelware.

News Comments > April Foolin' 2017
3. Re: April Foolin' 2017 Apr 1, 2017, 14:55 jacobvandy

Apparently 8-bit Bayonetta is pulling double duty, also teasing a legit PC port release: http://www.sega.com/14111219

Steam achievement icons appear to be fragments of the background image on that page.

News Comments > Mad Catz Closed
9. Re: Mad Catz Closed Mar 31, 2017, 21:44 jacobvandy

Unfortunately it's not just third-party controllers they've done, for the past 15 years or so they've been there to fill niche hardware needs of various developers. Most notably it was Rock Band instruments, but they've done quality racing wheels in the past and also do those arcade-like 'fightpad' controllers for Capcom. It's a shame to see any gaming company who's been around for near 30 years go away.  

News Comments > Has-Been Heroes Released
1. Re: Has-Been Heroes Released Mar 28, 2017, 19:56 jacobvandy

Played for about an hour so far, it's pretty unforgiving but still fun once you start to get the hang of it. I only watched the one older trailer before, and what wasn't really made apparent is the fact that the gameplay is real-time with pause, not turn-based.

Your attacks and spells have cooldowns that you have to wait through while the lines of enemies approach... You really don't want them to reach you, because while you can deflect an attack or two depending on the hero, after that you'll die very easily and if one hero goes down it's game over. So you always have to keep in mind how most efficiently to pick your targets, setting up combos and disabling problem mobs, or you'll be left vulnerable and unable to do anything but take some hits.

Anyone who'll get stressed out and panic under pressure will not enjoy this.

News Comments > Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Free; Mirage: Arcane Warfare Closed Beta
6. Re: Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Free; Mirage: Arcane Warfare Closed Beta Mar 27, 2017, 12:53 jacobvandy

Remember guys, 10AM Pacific time is when a new day starts on Steam. I.e. the Thu-Sun weekend deals are still active for another few minutes as of this post.  

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
1. Re: Sunday Consolidation Mar 26, 2017, 13:19 jacobvandy

Kate Moss Edition - https://youtu.be/Pq52YeBpXHs  

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
4. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Mar 25, 2017, 16:38 jacobvandy

Pfft, there are only 4 states that have yet to make Amazon and other e-tailers collect sales tax. A handful of others don't have sales tax to begin with. So yeah, the holiday is finally over... for 2% of Americans. Lazy bums!  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 23, 2017, 13:45 jacobvandy

Agent-Zero wrote on Mar 23, 2017, 12:02:
supposedly Amazon is the biggest reason the shopping malls are getting fucked

They're one reason, but Wal-Mart is a bigger one, I'd say. All but a few of the chains listed in that article are clothing stores, many of them mid-range ones that sell the expensive brands that most people don't have the money for these days. I don't know that Amazon sells very much clothing, they've only started pushing into that market in the past couple years, so I don't think the death of the fashion mall can be blamed on them.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Amazon to expand counterfeit removal program in overture to sellers. Mar 22, 2017, 20:11 jacobvandy

Uh, how is that bad for consumers? I bought a spare charger a while ago that was labeled OFFICIAL SAMSUNG OEM, same shape as the one that came with my phone with the logo on there and everything... But it was a fake. Both the adapter and USB cable are physically flimsy compared to the real deal, and it doesn't fast-charge. It's ridiculous how so many third-party vendors get away with that sort of thing.

I've got no problem with them selling bargain bin accessories, sometimes they're good enough, but they shouldn't be allowed to charge more for their cheap junk by imitating the branded product. I'm surprised more companies haven't sued Amazon over the kind of complacency and tacit approval they've shown so far.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 22, 2017, 00:54 jacobvandy

It remains to be seen, but so far it seems they're on track to do it. Zelda is a phenomenon, and if that ~90% attach rate figure is correct you can essentially call it a $360+ console selling like hotcakes in March, compared to the $250 Wii that included Wii Sports putting up similar sales figures during its first holiday season (totaled 3.19m from 11/19/06 - 12/31/06).

We know they sold through just about all of that initial shipment of 2 million Switches between pre-orders and the first week of release, and this week a second wave of stock is flying off the shelves just as quickly. It'll be interesting to see the exact figures on Nintendo's annual report next month.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 20, 2017, 14:21 jacobvandy

They're not healthier, though, they just don't die of heart disease. 20% infant mortality rate and 67% of the population suffers intestinal worms, not to mention higher rates of other infectious diseases... Their life expectancy is still lower than in developed countries. The article quotes a cardiology expert who points out the results may be skewed because only the fittest people of the tribe even live long enough to have been included in the study (age 40+).  

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Mar 19, 2017, 18:20 jacobvandy

Quboid wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 15:46:
Would you say you are a Libertarian? You're basically describing how every person views their own ideology. Everyone thinks they use common sense and morals, everyone thinks they're individuals (obligatory), everyone wants oversight when it's needed and doesn't want it when it's not needed, most people want to preserve/restore freedoms. The differences are in what we consider to be needed/not needed/freedom/moral.

IMO most people do not think for themselves, they're indoctrinated into one of the two major parties and that's where they get their opinions from. Those borrowed opinions are what shape their sensibilities, not the other way around. Everything becomes a liberal vs. conservative dichotomy and you're not allowed to venture from the side you're on or else you risk being ostracized by the friends/family/whoever that you've aligned yourself with. That leads to the needless hostility, the Us vs. Them mentality that is decidedly not libertarian in philosophy.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Mar 19, 2017, 14:49 jacobvandy

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 13:38:
Shut. The Fuck. Up.

Don't try to bring libertarian bullshit into video games, ugh.

Libertarianism is about as realistic as communism. Great idea, unfortunately humans will just fuck it up.

Actually, I guess that is an extremely valid connection to open world games, then, especially MMOs.

Perhaps you are confusing libertarianism with anarchism? "Libertarian" is not a form (or lack) of government, it describes an individual that uses common sense and their own moral compass to approach each issue individually rather than mindlessly toe a party line. Libertarians don't all agree with each other, except generally on the basic underlying principle that everyone should be free to do whatever they want, so long as it doesn't infringe on anyone else's ability to do the same.

Of course, just about any form of government will get in the way of that to varying degrees, so a libertarian usually does oppose excessive oversight and control. Anyone with a brain knows that our government won't just go away, so libertarians in politics aren't usually wasting their breath advocating complete abolishment of the state. What you will see, though, are attempts to preserve what freedoms we still have, as well as retake those that we've lost.

I'm just not sure how you could call that bullshit unless there's a misconception behind it...

3674 Comments. 184 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo