Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 3533 (Veteran)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Descent: Underground in Development on GOG.com
2. Re: Descent: Underground in Development on GOG.com Dec 21, 2016, 11:14 jacobvandy

It begins!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 20, 2016, 16:57 jacobvandy

I wanna know how Rocket League doesn't get into the "Better with Friends" one... That was my write-in, 'cause with all those esoteric awards they had nothing for best multiplayer. The way they aggregated those ideas must have been deeply flawed.  

News Comments > BioWare Giveaways [Updated]
3. Re: BioWare Game Giveaways Dec 20, 2016, 12:25 jacobvandy

Yeah... They're not doing a game giveaway like Ubisoft's. Today you re-tweet them for *a chance* at a Krogan plush doll.  

News Comments > Dishonored 2 New Game Plus Mode Released
2. Re: Dishonored 2 New Game Plus Mode Released Dec 19, 2016, 21:16 jacobvandy

Blue finally called it New Game Plus!  

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
12. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Dec 18, 2016, 21:20 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on Dec 18, 2016, 18:35:
Also, there's this:

Talking on a cellphone while driving, get a ticket. Text while driving, get a ticket. Glance at that all-powerful map on your iPhone while driving? No problem.

That was the conclusion Thursday of a state appeals court in Fresno, which for the first time in a California case found that drivers can use maps on their smartphones without risking a hands-free cellphone ticket.

The court’s ruling is almost certain to be welcomed by drivers who’ve come to depend on maps programs and GPS functions to get where they’re going, but it is unlikely to end the confusion over what’s legal — and what’s not — under California’s hands-free law.

That's like an open container law that bans hard liquor and wine, but okays beer.

Pretty misleading title and poorly-written article there, what you quoted doesn't tell the whole story. The court didn't rule that using your phone while driving is okay, they reversed a ruling for that one man who was written a ticket for talking on the phone when he wasn't. It's a specific statute that prohibits that act and requires a hands-free headset for taking or making calls while driving.

Basically, the cop who issued it wasn't careful enough and/or figured the reason was good enough because he didn't expect it to be contested. As the quote from California Highway Patrol there alludes, if he'd been cited simply for distracted driving, it could not have been overturned because that is a discretionary thing. Whether or not you agree there should be a law that completely prohibits the use of a cell phone while driving, there is no such law in question here.

Don't pretend you wouldn't do the same thing and hope for the same result if you could get out of a ticket on a technicality like that.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 18, 2016, 19:38 jacobvandy

Agent-Zero wrote on Dec 18, 2016, 18:17:
Eye Divine Cybermancy was buggy for years and years, thats why nobody bought it until hit got down to less than $5 on sale.. and it STILL HAS BUGS to this day...

not sure what people were expecting from this crew - GW offered quick cash, they took it, end of story

and the mountain of 40k shovelware continues

They had an excuse with E.Y.E., it was a super ambitious Source mod at an appropriate indie price point. It's chock full of fresh ideas still yet to be seen in other shooters for the most part, and provided plenty of cyberpunk fun while waiting for Deus Ex: HR to finally arrive

With that said, I'm not surprised that their new game is also pretty rough around the edges. They're clearly an outfit that puts more work into cramming in cool ideas for gameplay than polish, so combined with what I'm sure was a massive undertaking in fully utilizing that license and, well... The best thing to do is to wait for a sale.

That stream clip is BRUTAL, by the way, lol!

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Dec 17, 2016, 14:36 jacobvandy

No gold, per se, but I guarantee you there are account leveling and loot box farming services for Overwatch. Where there are people too lazy to actually play a game they own, there will be a minimum wage sweatshop willing to do the work for them.  

News Comments > PAYDAY 2: Scarface Heist
1. Re: PAYDAY 2: Scarface Heist Dec 17, 2016, 14:16 jacobvandy

Maybe it's cheaper just to get the title rather than everything including character name and Pacino likeness. But why bother, at that point? They could do a Miami mansion with '80s references for free, like Vice City. Maybe then it wouldn't be so expensive for what people are saying is a pretty lame level.  

News Comments > On Overwatch Mei Skins
7. Re: On Overwatch Mei Skins Dec 16, 2016, 21:25 jacobvandy

I get what they're saying, that it's lame to just make her vanilla outfit red and green, but I don't have any sympathy for all these dorks endlessly bitching about it. They don't care that the extra work for her went into skill graphic changes, they were hoping for a different look to masturbate to... I haven't read every complaint, but I'm sure some were looking for an ironic Christmas bikini or something.  

News Comments > Egosoft Plans "Real" X4
18. Re: Egosoft Plans Dec 16, 2016, 16:04 jacobvandy

Creston wrote on Dec 16, 2016, 14:05:
Eh, I would have been okay with one ship, if

A) It looked cool, and not like a freaking box.
B) There were hundreds and hundreds of upgrades I could get for it, so I could keep spending money deep into the game. X-Rebirth literally had like 1 weapon upgrade for each slot, and most other systems didn't even have any. Within 3 hours of playing you could have maxed out your ship. Yay?

DarkStar One did that pretty well, basically had an RPG skill tree that you could use to customize your ship in one of three significantly different ways... Real hidden gem of the space sim genre, IMO, more akin to Freelancer than Elite or X. It's not a huge game but I've played through it a handful of times over the years. It's worth the regular price of $10, though I'm sure it gets to be pretty cheap during a Steam sale.

News Comments > Ubisoft Giveaway Second Chance
2. Re: Ubisoft Giveaway Second Chance Dec 15, 2016, 19:58 jacobvandy

Damn, I forgot about this 30 days of giveaways... Totally missed their limited first-come, first-served thing a few days ago, I saw someone got free Watch Dogs 2.  

News Comments > Torment in February
13. Re: Torment in February Dec 15, 2016, 17:58 jacobvandy

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Dec 15, 2016, 16:30:
Someone wanna give me the run down on what exactly this game is?

I could google it but I like fan opinions.

Should be obvious from the title, but it's basically a sequel to Planescape: Torment. They're just using a different setting, no doubt because they couldn't afford what Wizards of the Coast demanded for the licensing. All the main guys who did the original worked on this.

https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/game/about/development-information

This comment was edited on Dec 15, 2016, 18:04.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Dec 13, 2016, 13:48 jacobvandy

It's a Chinese mobile game... Don't waste your time reading this.  

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
6. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Dec 10, 2016, 16:53 jacobvandy

This is why I don't feel too bad about driving an older car without remote door locks. It took maybe a month of having to think about it before cementing the habit of using the key to manually lock the door after I get out, and despite the rare occasion where I may get distracted and forget, that's probably still more reliable than putting so much faith in a button.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2016, 16:49 jacobvandy

They want a younger guy for Spider-Man because they want him for a long run of several movies. New guy is 20 now (so even younger for Civil War) and has a serious baby-face, but that's in contrast to Tobey Maguire barely passing for a high schooler in his first film and then looking like a tired old man in the third. Because he was one, in his thirties! Now that Sony is [finally] teaming up with Disney/Marvel and folding Spidey into the MCU, they're going to do it right and this kid is gonna be around for at least ten years like the rest of the Avengers.  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Dec 8, 2016, 15:29 jacobvandy

I miss the old Minecraft.net...  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2016, 14:13 jacobvandy

Sneakycamper wrote on Dec 8, 2016, 11:37:
Ok Turn your Head and Cough !!!!

I actually went for a check-up a couple months ago... Apparently they don't do that anymore! Unless my doctor was just lazy and/or shy, lol.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 PvP Revamp and Wintersday Next Week
9. Re: Guild Wars 2 PvP Revamp and Wintersday Next Week Dec 7, 2016, 17:20 jacobvandy

Yup, over the past few years they've been overhauling world bosses that weren't up to the tactical standards of something like the Triple Trouble jungle wurm event. Of course it gets easier over time, as more people learn what to do, but many of those fights are/were very difficult because of the amount of coordination required among dozens of players including random pubs.

Morgan19 wrote on Dec 7, 2016, 13:51:
There are no restrictions other than not accessing the Heart of Thorn zones.

I'm not sure where you're getting "no restrictions" from, but there are plenty of limitations for purely F2P players that are only removed once you have a paid account:

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/230165307-Account-types-Free-Core-HoT

Regardless, it's still a fantastic game.

It's nothing that stops you from playing and thriving throughout the entirety of the base game. Unlike other F2P MMOs, there aren't limitations on how much money or storage space or high end gear you can have, etc... Other than restricting HoT content, it's all related to preventing abuse of free accounts for trolling, muling, spamming, botting, and whatever else people would come up with.

And since there's no subscription model, you can pay once to upgrade and you're free of those restrictions forever. I really dislike that about SWTOR, I own the collector's edition and have paid for probably a couple years worth of sub time since it came out, but whenever I go back I'm still hindered by restrictions the same as a F2P-er that has spent only $5 in microtransactions unless I cough up for monthly "VIP status."

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
12. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 6, 2016, 13:36 jacobvandy

Cutter wrote on Dec 6, 2016, 10:20:
jacobvandy wrote on Dec 5, 2016, 22:35:
$15 mil is a lot of money for sure, but considering the audience size and time spent viewing his stuff, it's really not that much compared to a lot of other places in the entertainment industry. A late night talk show is considered hugely successful if it gets only a few million viewers, and hosts have been paid sometimes double that amount.

Or consider Howard Stern at his peak of popularity on terrestrial radio, with a listener base of up to 20 million -- radio stations paid millions of dollars in FCC fines to keep him around, so you can imagine how many tens of millions he was bringing and sharing in for himself. Hell, he was paid $100 million per year to go to satellite for an audience a tenth that size.

So don't go jumping off a bridge just yet... If anything this article illustrates how poorly you are paid for driving BILLIONS of impressions to a website owned by a company built on turning those measly clicks and views into mountains of cash.

Yes, but subs and active watchers don't equate to the same thing. That's the thing about Youtube a lot of subs don't even come close to regularly watching a channel they've subscribed to and the even bigger issue is partial views. Most people only watch a few seconds or just skip through. And lastly people were paying to listen to Stern - god knows why - where as this is ad driven. So no, they're still vastly overpaid relative to what they do. Start paying them only for people who come and watch an episode from start to finish, or start charging to watch them, and watch how fast that dries up.

You're right in that the sub count isn't that important, but I wasn't basing anything on that. His videos get millions of views per day.

And if TV ratings don't care about partial views, why should YouTube? You could argue YT is more successful in pushing ads because most people don't use ad blockers and are forced to watch at least a portion of a commercial with every video. Whereas television viewers are either skipping entire blocks of commercials with a DVR or using those breaks to walk away from the screen entirely.

The station still gets paid for those ads in the middle that are often missed, and they still get viewership credit whether you're even looking at the TV or not. A computer/smartphone/tablet screen holds a far more captive audience and YouTube has been built to exploit that fully, along with the viewing habits that involve jumping from video to video. Some people do nothing else for hours at a time...

This comment was edited on Dec 6, 2016, 13:42.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 5, 2016, 22:35 jacobvandy

$15 mil is a lot of money for sure, but considering the audience size and time spent viewing his stuff, it's really not that much compared to a lot of other places in the entertainment industry. A late night talk show is considered hugely successful if it gets only a few million viewers, and hosts have been paid sometimes double that amount.

Or consider Howard Stern at his peak of popularity on terrestrial radio, with a listener base of up to 20 million -- radio stations paid millions of dollars in FCC fines to keep him around, so you can imagine how many tens of millions he was bringing and sharing in for himself. Hell, he was paid $100 million per year to go to satellite for an audience a tenth that size.

So don't go jumping off a bridge just yet... If anything this article illustrates how poorly you are paid for driving BILLIONS of impressions to a website owned by a company built on turning those measly clicks and views into mountains of cash.

3533 Comments. 177 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo