Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 4304 (Master)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > NVIDIA Ending 3D Vision Support
8. Re: NVIDIA Ending 3D Vision Support Mar 10, 2019, 20:41 jacobvandy

3D Vision is NVIDIA's implementation of active shutter stereoscopic 3D. Their powered glasses alternate closing off each eye every other frame in sync with the game being told to render two slightly different camera angles simultaneously. Games designed to support it have a better effect, but the tech is impressive in that it works pretty seamlessly in almost any 3D-rendered game. The red/blue option also supported by the software is just a novelty... My only issue with it years ago was that the early 120hz monitors didn't have a good enough response time and I often noticed an irritating ghosting/bleed-over effect.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Division 2 Exclusive to Uplay and Epic Games Store After Next Week
4. Re: The Division 2 Exclusive to Uplay and Epic Games Store After Next Week Mar 9, 2019, 01:39 jacobvandy

Yep, that's why it's especially weird, since all these resellers like Green Man (never heard of GamesPlanet until now) would do is sell keys to be redeemed on Uplay. So basically Ubisoft is too big to buy off entirely, and all Epic could do is pay to be the one and only third party seller, for whatever good that'll do them.

Which reminds me of something that seems to have been forgotten of late, through all this exclusivity controversy -- no developer is forced to give Steam a full 30% of their revenue. That is only the case for copies sold through the Steam store directly, while all of the innumerable keys that are sold elsewhere see no royalty going back to Valve. They've taken steps in recent years to curtail abuse of this system, but in general devs are empowered to sell copies of their game on their own as long as those customers are not given special treatment over ones who buy through Steam.

To my knowledge, this courtesy is not offered by Origin or Uplay or any other publisher-driven storefront that also features third-party games for sale. I've only ever known the Uplay keys from GMG to be for Ubisoft-developed games, Origin keys to be EA games, Bethesda keys to be things they're selling recently (FO76 or RAGE 2, etc), and then everything else is a Steam key. It doesn't have to be through resellers, either, devs can sell keys through their own site and get all the money minus any payment processing fees. Though I could count on one hand the number of instances I know of where an indie took that opportunity seriously...

Anyway, Steam offers more choices of how and where to buy OR sell, yet they're the ones decried for monopoly and greed? I don't see how what Epic is doing lately is any more noble.

News Comments > The Division 2 Exclusive to Uplay and Epic Games Store After Next Week
1. Re: The Division 2 Exclusive to Uplay and Epic Games Store After Next Week Mar 8, 2019, 21:17 jacobvandy

Didn't Ubisoft announce this weeks ago?  

News Comments > The Division 2 Mobile Echo Experience (experience, experience...)
7. Re: The Division 2 Mobile Echo Experience (experience, experience...) Mar 6, 2019, 12:05 jacobvandy

AFAIK it's still the most popular IM app, so... If this thing for some reason uses that functionality, it's a no-brainer. I've also seen that they have an Alexa app or feature or whatever it's called there (like Bethesda did with Skyrim), so they're throwing all kinds of crap against the wall to promote this. Thankfully the rewards are limited to the sorts of trinkets they are giving away for beta participation, like unique clothing and a weapon skin.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 4, 2019, 20:14 jacobvandy

I dunno about YouTube, but Hulu's number is misleading because their "Live TV" tier isn't just for live TV... I was kind of bummed to find out recently that even some of their on-demand streaming titles are locked behind that premium subscription, unavailable to plebs like myself that only pay for the middling ad-free service.  

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Mar 4, 2019, 10:11 jacobvandy

Yes, the games media is 100% bought and paid for because they didn't exhibit the same kind of irrational hatred for a 99% optional in-game hobby... That's an Alex Jones-type unsubstantiated declaration if I've ever heard one, lmao.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Game Director Becomes Cyberpunk 2077 Design Director
4. Re: The Witcher 3 Game Director Becomes Cyberpunk 2077 Design Director Mar 3, 2019, 14:58 jacobvandy

Cutter wrote on Mar 3, 2019, 14:32:
Why the hell would you choose to go to Blizzard to work on their scheisse when you could be working on stuff like this?!

$$$

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed Mar 3, 2019, 14:45 jacobvandy

OpticNerve wrote on Mar 3, 2019, 13:36:
El Pit wrote on Mar 3, 2019, 08:27:
EDIT: I just checked the price of The Division 2... There is no season pass available (not even with the "ultimate" edition), just a one-year-pass... And it's a price like this would be an Apple product? WTF?! Sorry, Ubi. I am very interested in this game but not willing to be turned into an Apple customer or a Star Citizen whale. You can keep your game.

AFAIK, Ubisoft's actually being pretty cool about the whole one-year pass thing since they want all owners to have the same important content. Owners of the basic version of The Division 2 will get almost all of the Year One pass content, but they'll get it 1 week later after the Year One people. (Free DLC Content)

What the Year One pass owners will get is a 3-day head-start of Division 2, a 7-day early access of the free 3 DLC Episodes that expand the plotline, 8 classified assignments (basically backstory/lore stuff outside of the main plotline), instant unlocks of the 3 new class specializations that will be added, one extra weekly bounty and project (big whoop) and a few cosmetic crap. (Year 1 Pass)

Basic Division 2 owners will get the 3 DLC Episodes as well as the 3 class Specializations (but they'll have to unlock it somehow). The only thing they'll miss out on are the 8 classified assignments but I'm willing to bet they'll just be filler stuff and nothing really meaty in content.

Exactly... There is no 'season pass' this time! Of course it also means they're going all-out with selling cosmetics to compensate (including loot boxes, sounds like), but if that means free DLC for me, I don't mind at all.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2019, 14:10 jacobvandy

There are a glut of Reddit posts from people complaining about how slow the game feels, usually with a tone of extreme self-consciousness. Unless youíre a real asshole, itís not exactly fun to stray from popular consensus.

Oh my, whatever shall you do when you feel self-conscious about the opinion you're choosing to share on the internet? Rolleyes No wonder so many young people are suffering from crippling anxiety these days, with such widespread delusion that the opinion of strangers is so important to how you live your daily life.

No matter how popular a game is, there's still a chance it's just not your cup of tea. Get over it and move on.

News Comments > Dead or Alive 6 Released
3. Re: Dead or Alive 6 Released Mar 1, 2019, 10:41 jacobvandy

Mordhaus wrote on Mar 1, 2019, 10:17:
93 bucks for a season pass. God fighting games have become such a massive cash grab. Thanks Capcom for starting the trend.

Lol, fighting games were invented as a cash grab. How many billions of quarters have been spent on losing a match in less than a minute since the late '80s?

Anyway, if you'll notice, that season pass averages $1.45 per item and is made up of 97% cosmetics. So it's simple enough to skip for anyone who isn't a hardcore fan.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 27, 2019, 16:58 jacobvandy

I started a second game of RDR2 shortly after beating it the first time.. It is fun enough finding things I missed before and making different choices, etc., but it's true that they don't have enough sandboxy things to do offline. For example, I was very disappointed to find out it's not possible to rob banks outside of the couple of story missions it's featured in.

These stories about Red Dead Online currently earning less are straight from Captain Obvious, though. GTA Online has had five fucking years to build a player base and maintain it with frequent content updates. RDO is still in beta and on fewer platforms; I'd be curious to know how much of their MTX money comes from the PC enthusiast/repeat-hacker crowd that they're waiting to tap into again.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 25, 2019, 19:04 jacobvandy

Creston wrote on Feb 25, 2019, 17:32:
Just read an article that Gog is having financial difficulties.

I went and bought a few games from them. $20 total, not much, but every bit helps, right? Just putting this here as a heads up in case people want to buy a few things.

I've always felt they were expanding too much for what their niche is/was supposed to be. They might have to rein it back in, but I doubt they're going anywhere.

News Comments > January 2019 Digital Game Sales
4. Re: January 2019 Digital Game Sales Feb 25, 2019, 11:53 jacobvandy

Creston wrote on Feb 25, 2019, 11:47:
Top grossing, does that mean with in-game microtransactions? I mean, Fortnite is FREE. I seriously doubt that that many people bought the "save the world" part of fortnite. Also, isn't LoL free?

So I'm going to guess that SuperData fetched this data out of their ass.

'©2019 SuperData, A Neilson Company, Inc. All rights reserved'

Yup.

News Comments > Bethesda Placeholder Countdown Video
10. Re: Bethesda Placeholder Countdown Video Feb 23, 2019, 19:00 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on Feb 23, 2019, 16:38:
jacobvandy wrote on Feb 23, 2019, 15:34:
It'd be more obviously stylized if it was supposed to be Fallout, this is just a generic old film projector-esque thing. VG247 writers are morons.

Well, that's a classic Fallout look: retro-future. I don't think the Fallout guess is off the mark.

Did you watch the video? It's so generic as to be indistinguishable from what you get when you google "free film projector countdown." If it's supposed to be something for Fallout, they're doing a great job of hiding that fact by wholly omitting any semblance to the distinct retro-futuristic aesthetic they've been using for 10+ years. I.e. how they opened the Fallout 4 trailer.

Bethesda Softworks, the publisher, is much larger than Bethesda Game Studios, the developer. They must have a dozen projects in the works not even including the handful of things Todd and crew are doing, so there's really no telling what it's for. And that's assuming it means anything at all. Maybe some doofus at Amazon is having a laugh right now as he watches a placeholder with no information but an attribution to Bethesda rise to very near the top 500 in PC Games & Accessories (a category including everything from games to mice, keyboards, headphones, and VR stuff).

News Comments > Bethesda Placeholder Countdown Video
3. Re: Bethesda Placeholder Countdown Video Feb 23, 2019, 15:34 jacobvandy

It'd be more obviously stylized if it was supposed to be Fallout, this is just a generic old film projector-esque thing. VG247 writers are morons.

Also, Wario64 followers are insane, lol... That Twitter thread is all about them rushing to get their pre-orders in just in case it turns out to be something limited or there happens to be a pricing error in their favor.

News Comments > Anthem Released
2. Re: Anthem Released Feb 22, 2019, 13:40 jacobvandy

J wrote on Feb 22, 2019, 12:03:
Spike in concurrent Warframe players in 3... 2...

Well yeah, but because Warframe is one of those games that is routinely played more on weekends than weekdays. Otherwise, they only have big spikes after a major update.

News Comments > Anthem Reviews
15. Re: Anthem Reviews Feb 22, 2019, 13:35 jacobvandy

That's a shame. *sips drink*  

News Comments > Neverwinter: Undermountain Expansion Announced
5. Re: Neverwinter: Undermountain Expansion Announced Feb 19, 2019, 20:31 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on Feb 19, 2019, 13:06:
How is this as a F2P MMO? Kids are looking for something to play together.

It's fine, one of the better ones IMO. Gets a bit grindy at the high end like they all do, but there's plenty of content along the way.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 19, 2019, 12:16 jacobvandy

Could be that they have an actual source that is breaking NDA to leak specs, so calling it rumors and speculation is just covering their ass.  

News Comments > etc.
15. Re: etc. Feb 18, 2019, 16:48 jacobvandy

Creston wrote on Feb 18, 2019, 15:52:
jacobvandy wrote on Feb 18, 2019, 13:41:
In Elite you have the option to self-destruct and respawn at a station any time you want, so being "stranded" for any length of time is a personal choice you make. Though it's no surprise that these weirdos who spend hundreds of hours flying nowhere would refuse to do that, they're role-playing.

Here's the thing I don't get. He would have had enough fuel to jump back, but he traveled 1LY too far on super cruise, so now he can't jump back.

Well, how about you supercruise back then? Sure, you won't make it all the way, but making the fuelrats come 1LY out or the 5000 or whatever the hell you are outside the galaxy sure makes a giant difference, no?

So instead of super cruising back for 600 hours, he just doesn't play? Confused

I'm not sure there is any logic to it, the only reason I can think of is that he's purposely given those "rescuers" something to do. I'm an Elite newbie with my paltry ~50 hours, but I would never make a big trip without at least a low grade fuel scoop. All you do is fly near the star for an extra few seconds before zooming away and it automatically keeps your tank topped up... Maybe there's some bizarre sense of pride they get from flying without one, like using basic tech established in this game is cheating or whatever.

4304 Comments. 216 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo