Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 3702 (Veteran)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 30, 2017, 14:47 jacobvandy

eRe4s3r wrote on May 30, 2017, 11:53:
Is this a joke? Before the law, all are equal. What's next, passports removed from annoying reporters? Opposition party members?

That smells of fascism.

In fact, let me re-phrase that, this smell like Australia wants to become the 2nd Turkey.

You must be the one who's joking, there are already TONS of special restrictions that apply to sex offenders, not only in Australia but all over the world. This is just another one to add to the pile. Most people would say they deserve it, even though all sex offenders are generally treated the same regardless of the type or severity of the crime. It's actually kind of nice to see some of the worse ones being singled out here.

Did you read the article, though? They're looking to prevent people convicted of child sex offenses (currently 20,000 registered) from leaving the country, where they may try to abuse more children outside of their jurisdiction. Apparently many countries in south-east Asia have asked the Australian government to do something like this, in the wake of a major court case where an Aussie citizen was convicted of abusing 11 Indonesian girls. I'm not sure if he was a sex offender previous to that, but obviously they can only put restrictions on those who have already proven themselves to be that sort of scumbag.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
10. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup May 30, 2017, 14:32 jacobvandy

If you click through and see the logo, it looks like JUDGE but heavily stylized. They even pronounce it as "Judge" in the voiceover, so the text is just to differentiate it from the inspiration.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 28, 2017, 13:01 jacobvandy

I saw tweets from them advertising that they're selling all of their equipment, from shelving and displays to old trash cans, wet floor signs, and beat up clipboards, lol...  

News Comments > On Destiny 2 Networking
17. Re: On Destiny 2 Networking May 28, 2017, 01:31 jacobvandy

ViRGE wrote on May 27, 2017, 23:18:
HoSpanky wrote on May 27, 2017, 22:57:
Suppa7 wrote on May 27, 2017, 15:18:
Creston wrote on May 27, 2017, 14:15:
What's the tradeoff for client-server, exactly? That it works great and everyone has a smooth match?

Oh wait, cost-benefit analysis. So you ARE trying to save money.

The whole thing is bullshit PR, anyone who knows how computers work know there is no reason not to give players control of servers. Quake and unreal had dedicated servers BUILT into the fucking game. But once game companies realized the average gamer is a fucking moron we got this shit of company controlled servers because the average gamer is grade A fucking tech illiterate.

Quake and Unreal had NO persistent data. Any game with persistent characters CAN'T let people run their own servers. The very first thing that would happen is there'd be "get all legendary gear in 3 seconds!" servers.
Eh, I don't know. You could very easily edit your inventory in Borderlands 2. In a purely PvE game, the only person you can cheat is yourself. With Destiny 2 however, the extra wrinkle is that it has PvP as well...

Your character in BL2 is not persistent in the sense of an online game, it's just a local save file. A character linked to an account and stored server-side as in an MMO can't be manipulated in the same way. Same goes for Diablo 2, IIRC, which is why they went always-online with D3.

News Comments > On Destiny 2 Networking
6. Re: On Destiny 2 Networking May 27, 2017, 14:47 jacobvandy

To be fair, these days there are a lot more people with solid broadband connections than there were even ten years ago. When you have cable or fiber with 10 Mbps upstream, it makes for a more responsive game if you're connecting directly to other players. As we all know, even a tiny bit of added responsiveness makes a big difference in an online twitch shooter, so I assume that's what they're going for. Ultimately, I'd rather wait and see how well it actually works in the game before I start bitching.  

News Comments > Far Cry 5 in February
11. Re: Far Cry 5 in February May 26, 2017, 11:38 jacobvandy

Bring back the weapon degradation and environmental destruction!  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2017, 15:04 jacobvandy

I don't have a problem with pay cosmetics, I just ignore the boxes and if I get a free skin, that's cool, maybe I'll use it. But there are clearly a TON of people who eat that shit up, which is why just about every major PVP-centric game has adopted that system in one way or another. It's been going on for nearly ten years now, though, lol...

jdreyer wrote on May 24, 2017, 13:42:
I think BL2 had for-pay loot boxes, but just in town at one location IIRC. The vast majority of the game, you forgot there were microtransactions.

If you're referring to the Golden Keys, they never had those available for purchase to my knowledge, they only gave them away on social media. Still do, actually, a couple times per month. There's a wiki page you can go to that lists dozens of codes you can redeem for them, many are expired by now but plenty still work. I think there are even more available for Pre-Sequel.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
4. Re: Steam Top 10 May 21, 2017, 14:28 jacobvandy

Early Access.

EA the publisher doesn't release their stuff on Steam anymore, so with the context being the Steam Top 10...

News Comments > Destiny 2 Gameplay Trailer
11. Re: Destiny 2 Gameplay Trailer May 18, 2017, 21:34 jacobvandy

Cutter wrote on May 18, 2017, 20:43:
That is interesting them going with Bnet. You'd think MS would have tied into their shitty Win10 initiative somehow and made you play it on their servers. I guess Actiblizz offered them a much better deal than the 30 points Valve charges.

Activision publishes Destiny, bruh. They own their own company with an existing infrastructure for such things on PC.. There's no reason for them to look elsewhere.

News Comments > Destiny 2 Gameplay Trailer
9. Re: Destiny 2 Gameplay Trailer May 18, 2017, 19:07 jacobvandy

Showing a few first-person perspectives in your cinematic trailer hardly qualifies it to be a "gameplay trailer." Rolleyes

Anyway, I wasn't overly impressed by the first game when I rented it for PS3 back in the day... The controls definitely held back some of the enjoyment for me, so I might check this out eventually if the reviews are good.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation May 17, 2017, 18:23 jacobvandy

Jagacademy wrote on May 17, 2017, 15:25:
A new system was the best selling during the month of it's release.

Uhhh.

I sure as hell hope so.

It came out March 3rd. Mario Kart was April 28th and reportedly did more than a million worldwide just in that weekend. 280k consoles seems low though after the gangbusters first month... they had a good sized restock for the release of MK8, but apparently the shortages are still pretty serious overall.

Edit: I forgot they'd air-rushed more units to the U.S. in March, units that would have arrived normally by ship in April. So that explains some of the gap.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization May 15, 2017, 13:01 jacobvandy

UttiniDaKilrJawa wrote on May 15, 2017, 11:20:
Hopefully that Zelda game will be a real Zelda game and not some mobile-style abomination.

Don't hold your breath, their goal is to make mobile games appropriate for those platforms. They're not porting anything that already exists and they're not going to produce anything that might cannibalize sales on their dedicated systems. They're on mobile to broaden the reach of their brand and IPs, draw more people to what they call their premium gaming experiences on 3DS and Switch.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 May 14, 2017, 14:00 jacobvandy

Homefront 2 is on deep discount this week, so I picked it up and have been playing quite a bit the past few days. I'm liking the open-world design of this campaign WAY better than the first game's COD-clone linear scriptedness. Even having some flashbacks to the atmosphere of the early parts of HL2, where you're mingling with the down-trodden civvies while jackbooted thugs of an occupying force are patrolling everywhere... Except this time you can choose to stab them in the face when they try to go all "STOP RESISTING" on you.  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
1. Re: Saturday Metaverse May 13, 2017, 15:33 jacobvandy

Season 4 wasn't a bad enough nosedive in show quality? Maybe they're hoping that won't be as noticeable after they drop 1-3 in a couple weeks...  

News Comments > OVERKILL's The Walking Delayed
3. Re: OVERKILL's The Walking Delayed May 6, 2017, 22:33 jacobvandy

Overkill is the name of the studio making it (the guys known for Payday). If that's a part of the official title, it's either a licensing requirement of differentiation or a play on "AMC's The Walking Dead," I reckon.  

News Comments > DayZ Beta Nears
2. Re: DayZ Beta Nears May 5, 2017, 21:01 jacobvandy

Yeah, darn amateurs...  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 27, 2017, 18:32 jacobvandy

Also, don't forget this thing came out in March... NOBODY releases a new console outside of the holiday season anymore. GameCube, Xbox, PS3, Wii, 360, PS4, Wii-U, Xbone, PS4 Pro, and probably Scorpio will all have released in November because that's when everyone starts spending the most money.

It's pretty bonkers for Nintendo to put up competitive launch sales at a time of year when they don't have that inherent advantage. That means people are specifically looking to buy the Switch, not just whatever game console they find on the shelf when they're out Christmas shopping. Who knows how much bigger that number would be if they were actually keeping up with demand...

For comparison, PS4 and Xbone sold 4.2 million and 3 million respectively between their launch in mid-November and the end of December 2013.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Apr 27, 2017, 13:40 jacobvandy

Yeah, that's a shame, I quite liked using that volcano as a base. Of course it does/did contain a ridiculous amount of metal up there with zero hostile spawns anywhere near it...  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 27, 2017, 03:47 jacobvandy

Nintendo's fiscal year report is in, revealing that between March 3rd and March 31st:

- 2.74 million Switch consoles sold
- 3.84 million copies of the new Zelda sold (2.76m Switch, 1.08m Wii-U)
- 5.46 million total copies of Switch games sold (so Zelda was half)

For the next fiscal year (Apr '17 through Mar '18), they expect a total of 10 million more Switch consoles and 35 million Switch games sold.

Bonus: the latest full-fledged Pokemon games on 3DS, Sun and Moon, have sold more than 15 million copies since their release last November.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/170427e.pdf

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 25, 2017, 13:11 jacobvandy

I thought they only had single seasons of HBO shows on Prime Video anyway, to get you to subscribe once you're hooked?  

3702 Comments. 186 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo