Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 4010 (Master)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 18, 2018, 03:31 jacobvandy

afka Rossini wrote on Aug 17, 2018, 21:54:
jacobvandy wrote on Aug 17, 2018, 21:18:
FFS, I already loathe Amazon Video because you can't watch two episodes of anything without being thrust upon by a commercial for whatever retarded original programming they've got coming out... If Netflix starts doing that, too, I might as well just switch to Hulu.
Too late, Netflix has already started doing it on my Netflix app for Fire TV. You can hit play next or sit through 20 seconds of 'preview' for another show.

Sounds like you may be one of the lucky few they're currently testing it on. If you can press one button to skip it and it's not the same ad over and over, that's an improvement over Amazon, but still annoying.

I get that there are some really apathetic people out there who still want to be force-fed stuff like cable did/does to you, but I wish they'd include the option to turn that shit off for the rest of us. I don't want a big auto-play video at the top of the UI when I load it up, I don't want you to auto-play every fucking title I leave my selector on for more than two seconds, and I don't want "suggestions" that auto-play for me in between episodes. Just fuck off already...

I really liked Netflix streaming a lot more back when it was just digital versions of most of the stuff they offered on DVD. Give me a list of shit I can watch and leave me to browse, I don't need anyone to program for me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Valve Tunes in Steam.TV
1. Re: Valve Tunes in Steam.TV Aug 17, 2018, 21:48 jacobvandy

An hour later, looks like it's been taken offline.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 17, 2018, 21:18 jacobvandy

FFS, I already loathe Amazon Video because you can't watch two episodes of anything without being thrust upon by a commercial for whatever retarded original programming they've got coming out... If Netflix starts doing that, too, I might as well just switch to Hulu.  

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
2. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Aug 15, 2018, 00:22 jacobvandy

Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 14, 2018, 22:07:
Sees U.K. Sales Charts - Britain is lost. Might as well sink the island, because there's no hope for them.

Like the NPD Group here in North America, they only track physical retail sales of games. So it's pretty useless for the PC market.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
22. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 14, 2018, 00:45 jacobvandy

Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 13, 2018, 14:11:
Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 13, 2018, 12:52:
Admittedly I really don't like superhero movies all that much, but I do watch all the Marvel ones now as they are super good. I could care less about anything DC, really. But, why is there such a backlash over this woman? She was good in the XXX movie and John Wick. She's good looking. Was Batwoman a different skin color or something? I mean, wtf?

Edit, read story. So...she comes off as gay, turns out she is gay, and she's...NOT GAY ENOUGH?

PC culture, man. Just, fuck it.

What? I thought the whole point of "acting" was the ability to portray someone you are not. Now, in order to act, you have to be exactly like the person you are portraying?

Twitter may be the greatest collection of stupid the world has ever seen...

Yep, same thing happened to Scarlett Johansson when the twits found out she was going to play the role of a transgender person. Actors aren't allowed to act anymore, apparently.

News Comments > MONSTER HUNTER WORLD Sales Rise, Reviews Fall
18. Re: MONSTER HUNTER WORLD Sales Rise, Reviews Fall Aug 13, 2018, 19:43 jacobvandy

Darks wrote on Aug 13, 2018, 19:27:
I've been using the bow ,and it sucks stamina up like a sponge.

And yes, I do use food. it does not help at all.

The bow's charge attack will do that, yeah. In the forest you can find these edible bugs on fallen logs that will give you the buff to reduce stamina usage by 50% for a while. It's hard to offer specific directions, but they're called 'Wiggly Litchi' and have about a half-dozen locations across the map. It's actually pretty tough to use a ranged weapon solo, though, at least before you unlock the ability for your pet to actively draw aggro and tank for you. If that's what you want to do, I'd recommend the light bowgun because it won't slow you down much and uses ammo instead of stamina to fire.

News Comments > MONSTER HUNTER WORLD Sales Rise, Reviews Fall
15. Re: MONSTER HUNTER WORLD Sales Rise, Reviews Fall Aug 13, 2018, 19:15 jacobvandy

OpticNerve wrote on Aug 13, 2018, 15:43:
To be fair, in MH:W there are various foods, consumables and gear which will either lower your stamina usage, increase your max stamina, increase your stamina regen or all of them combined. In fact, Rations (which are given for free before each hunt in your gear box) increases your max stamina for the duration of the hunt.

I think this is what a lot of people are missing. Even though there's a part of the tutorial that teaches you about restoring stamina, it may not be immediately clear that it's talking about the overall size of the bar, which is only at a medium level when you begin your outing and also slowly reduces over time as a sort of hunger/fatigue mechanic. Then managing the usage of your stamina is an important part of how you 'git gud' in this game, along with not blindly mashing buttons and rooting yourself in place with long animations that aren't even hitting your target.

I totally agree about the lack of pause, though. Apparently this is the first game in the series that doesn't let you pause while playing solo, which makes it an even stranger omission. If something comes up in the middle of a fight with a goddamned T-Rex, say your pizza arrives or the baby starts crying, the best you can do is disengage from combat and teleport back to camp.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 12, 2018, 17:56 jacobvandy

I assume one of those is the pre-order version, it came with a couple of small bonus DLCs.

I'm having a blast with the game so far, just arrived at the fourth unique biome and the equipment crafting options are really opening up. The crazy thing about these games is that there are I think a dozen or so completely different combat styles associated with various weapon types. I've only really done melee so far, and even between dual swords, long sword, or sword and shield the pacing and flow of battle completely changes. You get to know which style is better suited for taking on which enemy, and then you're mixing in elemental strengths and weaknesses, physical damage types, status effects like poison/stun/paralysis, environmental hazards that might help or hinder you, traps you set yourself, and the mounting system...

It's a lot of depth, but the game does a pretty good job of slowly introducing things so as not to overwhelm you, without actually locking most of that stuff away so that veterans or clever folks can incorporate the advanced tactics right away. While I'm doing fine solo, I can imagine a coordinated team of four pulling off some awesome stuff.

Plus it's just a really beautiful game, and immersive as a wildlife sim. If you wanted to wander around gathering mushrooms, fishing, net-catching smaller critters, performing other "research" type tasks and keeping away from the predators, you totally could.

This comment was edited on Aug 12, 2018, 18:16.

News Comments > Bethesda Blocks Used Game Sale
46. Re: Bethesda Blocks Used Game Sale Aug 12, 2018, 01:35 jacobvandy

Yeah, that's spin control. Having a thing in your possession doesn't necessarily mean you used it, and if it turns out it was used when it was said to be new, then that's an issue the second-hand buyer will take up with the seller and/or the entity that facilitated the transaction (Amazon, eBay, whoever). New and sealed is just a statement of fact on these listings, and even if it's used you can call it 'Like New' if it's still in pristine condition... I would be interested to hear the whole story on this, like why target this one guy, why bother policing the second-hand market at all?  

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Aug 11, 2018, 21:06 jacobvandy

Lol, in the comments of the Capcom story someone posted this: https://www.qwerkywriter.com/products/qwerkywriter-s-typewriter-inspired-mechanical-keyboard

It looks nothing like the in-game model, they just put a sticker with a fictional brand name on an existing product and are marking it up like 150% to sell as RE2 merchandise...

News Comments > RAGE 2 Trailer
4. Re: RAGE 2 Trailer Aug 11, 2018, 08:40 jacobvandy

DangerDog wrote on Aug 11, 2018, 02:33:
Gearbox has their work cut out for them to top this with Borderlands 3

Apples and oranges. As cool as this looks, it's still a standard FPS, driven by its story/quest content and canvassing the map to tick all the boxes on your 'exploration' list . You play around with the dozen or so weapons for a while and 100% the game after maybe 50 hours, then you're done. Like Just Cause or Far Cry, etc.

Borderlands, on the other hand, is a first-person ARPG. It's Diablo with guns. Casuals will spend a few dozen hours going through the campaign once, but the randomly-generated loot and multiple character classes will keep core fans interested enough to grind through the same content over and over, for hundreds of hours.

News Comments > DOOM Eternal Gameplay Trailer
16. Re: DOOM Eternal Gameplay Trailer Aug 11, 2018, 05:53 jacobvandy

shiho wrote on Aug 11, 2018, 02:53:
Do you REMEMBER Doom, folks? This ain't no fuckin' Doom. It's a mediocre satire of Doom, made by a bunch of retarded monkeys.

Did you even try the 2016 reboot? And how much of the original DOOM did you actually play, for that matter, if you think it had none of these sorts of arena battles? You're talking out of your ass and/or don't remember it very well, yourself...

They show off these late-game climactic segments because that's where you find the highest concentration of demon-slaying, which means maximum exposure for the various weapons, enemies, abilities, etc. they want to display in a short span of time. The new games still have those slower, quieter, wandering down hallways and blasting the occasional baddie parts, but that a) is boring for an audience to watch and b) might spoil some of the story they want to keep under wraps.

As for "slow and laggy" movement, I'll do your short attention span a favor and recommend skipping ahead to about 12:50 in the video here to see some high-skill KB&M gameplay. If you watch that and still don't understand how this is pretty much as good of a DOOM 2.0 that will exist any time soon, you might as well just give up following the hobby.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Aug 9, 2018, 19:28 jacobvandy

So then don't put your game into a streaming service.. Simple?  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 3, 2018, 18:58 jacobvandy

Damn, I wonder how mad Google is that they'll miss out on millions of dollars for doing practically nothing.  

News Comments >
4. Re: GRIP: Combat Racing in November Aug 1, 2018, 19:16 jacobvandy

subx wrote on Aug 1, 2018, 12:59:
Oh no, they accidentally made their “GRIP” logo look like “GRID”, how very unfortunate!

RIP. Codemasters releasing the hounds in 3..2..1..

News Comments > Chasm Opens Up
10. Re: Chasm Opens Up Jul 31, 2018, 18:38 jacobvandy

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 31, 2018, 15:20:
I get annoyed at most deliberately retro graphics based games, but this looks halfway decent, but refresh my memory, was this one of the Kickstarted games that took like 6 years to make? I've lost track of them all.

Yeah, I backed it in 2013. You can tell it's been in the works a while because they promised a Vita port, lol, which they're giving away for free to any backers who want it. I'd much rather have it on Switch, and I gotta think they're working on that now, but I doubt I'll buy it twice. Played a couple hours last night and it's good, though, very pretty with tough but fair platforming and combat.

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 2018, 19:57.

News Comments > Monster Hunter World PC Performance Explained
27. Re: Monster Hunter World PC Performance Explained Jul 30, 2018, 23:54 jacobvandy

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 30, 2018, 22:27:
jacobvandy wrote on Jul 30, 2018, 20:14:
The CPU is never completely dedicated to whatever game you're playing, that's just not how it works. You have dozens of other processes running in the background even on a barebones configuration, even on consoles. If you put 100% CPU into a handful of game processes, forsaking all the others.. That's how you get a BSOD. It's never supposed to happen,

Ah what are you talking about? You can max the CPU without zero crashes, the stuff it needs to run still runs. How can I test this crazy idea out like right now? Stress Test Benches. I can peg my cpu 100% for as long as I want, I do this periodically to make sure my cooling system is working within reason. Maxing a cpu is game and o/s resources combined.

You misunderstand. I didn't say CPUs can't run at 100%, I said games never use 100% on their own. For your stress test to maybe kinda simulate that, try setting its process to realtime priority and everything else to low priority. I don't think Windows would like it very much.

23. Re: Monster Hunter World PC Performance Explained Jul 30, 2018, 20:14 jacobvandy

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 30, 2018, 19:29:
It's not a bad theory, but from what I've heard in this game it is maxing out the GPU's and the CPU's are are at a 1/3's usage, not cpu bound, the opposite of what you write in this case.

The CPU is never completely dedicated to whatever game you're playing, that's just not how it works. You have dozens of other processes running in the background even on a barebones configuration, even on consoles. If you put 100% CPU into a handful of game processes, forsaking all the others.. That's how you get a BSOD. It's never supposed to happen, unlike with the GPU where all it does is accelerate graphics and will sit around doing next to nothing otherwise. You might get a portion of CPU cores/threads running full tilt, but that will still only look like partial utilization from the overall "CPU usage" meter.

Civilization doesn't 100% a CPU, either, yet you will see large gains in how long it takes to crunch the AI turns with a faster CPU compared to a slower one. In Grand Theft Auto IV or V, you see a direct FPS increase because of all the underlying physics, AI, and resource streaming. Same with Bethesda games, and the way they load and unload cells full of objects and actors within a radius of the player. Especially since the only way to truly increase the draw distance in Skyrim or FO4 is to increase that radius, which means exponentially larger portions of the game world being actively simulated. People do it because they want to see more detail off in the distance, but don't realize that their performance is tanking because of their CPU/RAM, not their GPU (or "poor optimization," as is blamed when they have a 1080). All of these games will max out your GPU, but not the CPU... Yet they still perform better with a better CPU.

Edit to add: I noticed the article linked here says "[He] used an Intel i7-4790K with 16GB of RAM so obviously he was not CPU limited." That's exactly what I'm talking about -- even the journalists who write about this sort of thing regularly are still stuck in that mindset that games do not ever and could never conceivably use a lot of CPU power.

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 2018, 21:06.

18. Re: Monster Hunter World PC Performance Explained Jul 30, 2018, 18:38 jacobvandy

What we have is a problem of institutionalized misinformation. In the PS3/360 era, all the focus was on new lighting and shaders and whatever else went into that cookie-cutter Unreal Engine 3 kind of look... For that, you needed a lot of GPU power, but the CPU didn't matter much. New gaming PCs were built with 80% of the budget spent on graphics, and it served well in most games. So everyone tells everyone to just make sure you have a good GPU. "Buy an eMachine and shove a 580 in there, you'll be fine!"

But this new generation has seen those graphics techniques mature and refine rather than completely change, and the PS4/Xbone are more powerful and well-rounded. A lot of PC gaming rigs are not. People have the same CPU they did 10-15 years ago and think simply upgrading the GPU will allow them to max out any new game... They're wrong. More developers are exploring more simulation-heavy game design, it's not just 4X games or Rockstar with their realistic physics in big, open worlds anymore.

They blame it on poor optimization or performance-leeching DRM because that's easier, more comfortable than admitting that maybe they've fallen behind the curve a bit... Consoles are offering better performance than your imbalanced PC gaming rig. Suck it up and get a new processor. A good one! Because developers are going to keep pushing that side of gaming, and I'm glad they are. The worst thing you can do is keep bitching and eventually make them think they shouldn't do what they're doing, 'cause that's how you end up with the same Call of Duty every fucking year using the same engine it did at the turn of the millenium.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2018, 23:33 jacobvandy

Oh yeah, with this multiplayer update, NMS is pretty rapidly transforming into a stereotypical online game. Central quest lines have repeated 90-minute timers that serve no purpose but to limit how quickly you can go through them (which weren't there a year ago), and like half of owning a fleet is sending frigates out on 'expeditions' that take anywhere from one to six hours before they return with loot for you.. They will definitely start selling cosmetics for that new character customization feature, and it wouldn't surprise me if they sell in-game currency or unique ships, etc., as well.  

4010 Comments. 201 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo