Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 3418 (Veteran)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Dec 8, 2016, 15:29 jacobvandy

I miss the old Minecraft.net...  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2016, 14:13 jacobvandy

Sneakycamper wrote on Dec 8, 2016, 11:37:
Ok Turn your Head and Cough !!!!

I actually went for a check-up a couple months ago... Apparently they don't do that anymore! Unless my doctor was just lazy and/or shy, lol.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 PvP Revamp and Wintersday Next Week
9. Re: Guild Wars 2 PvP Revamp and Wintersday Next Week Dec 7, 2016, 17:20 jacobvandy

Yup, over the past few years they've been overhauling world bosses that weren't up to the tactical standards of something like the Triple Trouble jungle wurm event. Of course it gets easier over time, as more people learn what to do, but many of those fights are/were very difficult because of the amount of coordination required among dozens of players including random pubs.

Morgan19 wrote on Dec 7, 2016, 13:51:
There are no restrictions other than not accessing the Heart of Thorn zones.

I'm not sure where you're getting "no restrictions" from, but there are plenty of limitations for purely F2P players that are only removed once you have a paid account:

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/230165307-Account-types-Free-Core-HoT

Regardless, it's still a fantastic game.

It's nothing that stops you from playing and thriving throughout the entirety of the base game. Unlike other F2P MMOs, there aren't limitations on how much money or storage space or high end gear you can have, etc... Other than restricting HoT content, it's all related to preventing abuse of free accounts for trolling, muling, spamming, botting, and whatever else people would come up with.

And since there's no subscription model, you can pay once to upgrade and you're free of those restrictions forever. I really dislike that about SWTOR, I own the collector's edition and have paid for probably a couple years worth of sub time since it came out, but whenever I go back I'm still hindered by restrictions the same as a F2P-er that has spent only $5 in microtransactions unless I cough up for monthly "VIP status."

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
12. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 6, 2016, 13:36 jacobvandy

Cutter wrote on Dec 6, 2016, 10:20:
jacobvandy wrote on Dec 5, 2016, 22:35:
$15 mil is a lot of money for sure, but considering the audience size and time spent viewing his stuff, it's really not that much compared to a lot of other places in the entertainment industry. A late night talk show is considered hugely successful if it gets only a few million viewers, and hosts have been paid sometimes double that amount.

Or consider Howard Stern at his peak of popularity on terrestrial radio, with a listener base of up to 20 million -- radio stations paid millions of dollars in FCC fines to keep him around, so you can imagine how many tens of millions he was bringing and sharing in for himself. Hell, he was paid $100 million per year to go to satellite for an audience a tenth that size.

So don't go jumping off a bridge just yet... If anything this article illustrates how poorly you are paid for driving BILLIONS of impressions to a website owned by a company built on turning those measly clicks and views into mountains of cash.

Yes, but subs and active watchers don't equate to the same thing. That's the thing about Youtube a lot of subs don't even come close to regularly watching a channel they've subscribed to and the even bigger issue is partial views. Most people only watch a few seconds or just skip through. And lastly people were paying to listen to Stern - god knows why - where as this is ad driven. So no, they're still vastly overpaid relative to what they do. Start paying them only for people who come and watch an episode from start to finish, or start charging to watch them, and watch how fast that dries up.

You're right in that the sub count isn't that important, but I wasn't basing anything on that. His videos get millions of views per day.

And if TV ratings don't care about partial views, why should YouTube? You could argue YT is more successful in pushing ads because most people don't use ad blockers and are forced to watch at least a portion of a commercial with every video. Whereas television viewers are either skipping entire blocks of commercials with a DVR or using those breaks to walk away from the screen entirely.

The station still gets paid for those ads in the middle that are often missed, and they still get viewership credit whether you're even looking at the TV or not. A computer/smartphone/tablet screen holds a far more captive audience and YouTube has been built to exploit that fully, along with the viewing habits that involve jumping from video to video. Some people do nothing else for hours at a time...

This comment was edited on Dec 6, 2016, 13:42.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 5, 2016, 22:35 jacobvandy

$15 mil is a lot of money for sure, but considering the audience size and time spent viewing his stuff, it's really not that much compared to a lot of other places in the entertainment industry. A late night talk show is considered hugely successful if it gets only a few million viewers, and hosts have been paid sometimes double that amount.

Or consider Howard Stern at his peak of popularity on terrestrial radio, with a listener base of up to 20 million -- radio stations paid millions of dollars in FCC fines to keep him around, so you can imagine how many tens of millions he was bringing and sharing in for himself. Hell, he was paid $100 million per year to go to satellite for an audience a tenth that size.

So don't go jumping off a bridge just yet... If anything this article illustrates how poorly you are paid for driving BILLIONS of impressions to a website owned by a company built on turning those measly clicks and views into mountains of cash.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 2, 2016, 18:55 jacobvandy

It's useful for kids keeping in better touch with their grandparents, I guess? I didn't know some carriers offered that text-to-speech service to landlines (article names Sprint).  

News Comments > Prey Gameplay Video
14. Re: Prey Gameplay Video Dec 2, 2016, 18:39 jacobvandy

Beamer wrote on Dec 2, 2016, 16:12:
Game C gets released: "This looks nowhere near as cool as the E3 trailer of a canceled game. They should have made that one, instead, that's what I wanted to play!"

To be fair, this is the first time ever that something like this has happened, at least that I'm aware of.

You have a sequel to an innovative cult game that is far enough along in development to be teased in major publisher style (remember all that cryptic hinting about the airplane scene?) and finally revealed at E3 to be taking the story in a radical and unexpected but still freaking awesome direction...

Then it suddenly falls off the radar for years before it's discovered that the game was cancelled and another studio has been given the IP. Which came to light after a round of outright denials by that slimeball Pete Hines, lol.

The IP is then completely gutted (sorry, rebooted) and replaced in everything but name with a spiritual successor to a completely unrelated franchise from decades earlier. That's not just a theory (though it's clear enough just from looking at this video), it's been explicitly stated that that's what they wanted to do.

Arkane does good work, and I'm sure what they have here will be moderately enjoyable, but you know it's not kosher for the Prey name to be slapped on it as an afterthought.

This does not reflect favorably on Bethesda/Zenimax as a publisher, which chewed up and spat out a small indie studio for whatever bullshit reason (see first-hand accounts of Prey 2's cancellation being petty and political) and proceeded to squeeze whatever value they could out of their acquisition whether it makes sense or not.

So yeah, when a reboot of a different game replaces a highly-anticipated sequel, arguably the most interesting sequel shown that year, that tends to ruffle some fan feathers. There is ZERO reason whatsoever that they couldn't release Prey 2 as well as this System Shock remake. They flat-out wasted years of work by Human Head fleshing that project out to alpha status.

News Comments > Prey Gameplay Video
6. Re: Prey Gameplay Video Dec 2, 2016, 13:56 jacobvandy

Beamer wrote on Dec 2, 2016, 13:39:
Vio wrote on Dec 2, 2016, 12:14:
Looks crap, the old trailer of canceled prey 2 looks much better.

The teaser trailer with no gameplay or even in-game footage looked better than a gameplay trailer?

Shocking.

They did a decent job of mocking up gameplay in that old teaser, it's here in case you've forgotten what it looked like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufikwk7_AD0

But it's just the general theme that was vastly more interesting, IMO. I get that some of the guys at Arkane are ex-Looking Glass and were probably excited about taking a whack at rebooting System Shock, but we already had an entire series of those games from Irrational, so it looks and will probably play very samey. When the alternative was something completely different... Not to mention, now we'll never know how Human Head was planning to tie the sequel with the original Prey.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed III for Free Next Month
14. Re: Assassin's Creed III for Free Next Month Dec 1, 2016, 13:42 jacobvandy

Slick wrote on Dec 1, 2016, 05:26:
C) don't even pay the pennies required to host the damn game for download, that still goes through Uplay.

Clearly you are taking your own advice and only buying Ubisoft games from Uplay, so kudos on that. But I have several Ubi games on Steam, and when I install say, The Division, that 40 gigs is delivered by Steam, as well as any subsequent patches.

I agree with you that it's not the end of the world to have multiple store clients, but at least part of the reason people don't like the arrangement here is that Uplay acts solely as an additional layer of DRM for those Ubi games purchased on Steam. DRM which sometimes takes its sweet time updating itself when all you're trying to do is launch a game you shouldn't need it for.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed III for Free Next Month
2. Re: Assassin's Creed III for Free Next Month Nov 30, 2016, 19:40 jacobvandy

Works for me, AC3 is the only one I never got around to playing!

Also, I read that someone dug around in the site code to find out what all the 30 Days of Ubi whatever things are, and free AC3 is listed for December 7th. So only a week to wait for that.

Other notable goodies include a first-come, first-served giveaway of 300 copies of a few "latest Ubisoft titles" on Dec. 9th, and repeats of previous monthly giveaways from the 22nd-25th: Prince of Persia, Rayman Legends, Splinter Cell, and The Crew.

This comment was edited on Nov 30, 2016, 19:47.

News Comments > The Crew Calling All Units Expansion Released
1. Re: The Crew Calling All Units Expansion Released Nov 29, 2016, 22:38 jacobvandy

Fired this up again about a month ago with some friends and we were enjoying the cross-country racing (as in, off-road for long distances, it's the closest thing we have to FUEL anymore) so much that we talked about picking up the expansion for the monster trucks and stuff... Turned out it was not available for purchase on Uplay at all, which seemed weird because of all the prompts they have to buy it in-game. But apparently this new expansion includes Wild Run with it for the base price of $25, so whether they did that on purpose or it was some weird, coincidental glitch, I'm glad I waited.

The Season Pass does NOT include either expansion, by the way. That's just a handful of extra cars and cosmetics.

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 28, 2016, 17:44 jacobvandy

Well that's great! I'd still recommend shopping around on Amazon or etc., especially for older models, but I'm glad to hear they're not fucking people quite so hard anymore.  

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 28, 2016, 17:30 jacobvandy

AT&T already does monthly payments on your bill instead of an up-front cost for all the new phones they sell. You end up paying like twice as much as just buying it outright somewhere else, but most people don't seem to care. $30 a month for three years is easier for them to swallow than $500-600 at once. Of course, for high-end shit like that Google phone or the latest iPhone, it's probably more like $50 a month for three years. That's why I stay a couple generations behind, they're plenty good enough but the price plummets once they go out of demand.  

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Nov 27, 2016, 15:36 jacobvandy

There is nothing stopping SkyUI from working in Skyrim SE, it just won't have the more advanced features that require scripting support until SKSE is updated. You can still overhaul the UI itself with a simple copy-paste.

This is of course completely aside from the fact that somebody else WILL put work into a UI mod specifically for the SE, whether they're adapting SkyUI or doing their own thing. It's not like that one guy/team has a monopoly on UI mods...

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Nov 27, 2016, 14:27 jacobvandy

The free upgrade offer expired the day the special edition released, and AFAIK there's no option to pay to upgrade.  

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
4. Re: Saturday Mobilization Nov 26, 2016, 13:10 jacobvandy

Yeah, something is going to have to change over there. The scalpers are bad enough at brick and mortar stores, minimum wage retail workers don't give a shit and they're too busy to keep track even if they did. But online where you have a ton of identifying info involved in placing an order, you can put limits on these assholes that are automatic and much more effective. Plus, you know, actually keep to your scheduled release time, make better use of your systems for notifications and pre-orders, etc...

With that said, it looks like there are still quite a few available in stores, so maybe I can grab a couple this weekend. I settled for a standard XL back in August, but they've come out with so many new versions in both sizes since then! $99 ain't bad at all for a spare, or if I get one with a TN screen it'll be good for playing in 3D (some have IPS instead, which are more brilliant in color, better contrast, and no viewing angle restriction, but higher response time that creates ghosting in a lot of 3D scenes).

News Comments > Blizzard's Unannounced First-Person Game
11. Re: Blizzard's Unannounced First-Person Game Nov 22, 2016, 14:46 jacobvandy

If it's a new engine, I doubt it's related to Overwatch. Unless they'd really jump the shark by creating a sequel so soon.  

News Comments > The Division Survival Expansion Tomorrow
6. Re: The Division Survival Expansion Tomorrow Nov 21, 2016, 23:44 jacobvandy

I thought the Survival DLC was going to be a whole new difficulty/game mode for playing through the campaign... I'm not interested in it as an instanced multiplayer match. =/

The dumbest thing is that they're offering both PVP and PVE modes for these survival matches, again tripping over themselves in attempts to re-invent the DayZ wheel. Instead of the suspense involved in not knowing whether a player is going to be hostile or not as you encounter them in-game, you simply have a choice of deathmatch or co-op before you start.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
3. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 20, 2016, 19:48 jacobvandy

That Uncharted 4 bundle is $300 regularly, so the deal is not a door-buster by any means. I might just wait until next year when the Pro is that price, after they announce the PS4 Pro Elite.  

News Comments > EVE Online F2P Launches
14. Re: EVE Online F2P Launches Nov 15, 2016, 22:29 jacobvandy

No kidding... I liked what I've played of EVE, I was first in a null-sec corp for a few months and later did the solo missions thing until I earned a battleship from scratch. But there are TONS of people on there who fuck with you just for kicks. I guess they feel pretty strongly that you shouldn't be allowed to feel safe like you can in other MMOs that have PVE-only servers or designated PVP zones.

3418 Comments. 171 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo