Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 3333 (Veteran)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: etc., etc. Jul 23, 2016, 14:17 jacobvandy

osage no onna wrote on Jul 23, 2016, 11:50:
The orangutan video is a scam for ad revenue.

Most of the videos on the internet could be called scams for ad revenue, lol, so what's it matter?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Jul 23, 2016, 00:11 jacobvandy

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns is 50% off through the middle of next week on their website. Living Story season 3 is starting!  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 22, 2016, 16:33 jacobvandy

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jul 22, 2016, 15:38:
Electric cars are not more efficient than gasoline!!!

USAs power grid is already taxed, burn more coal to get more power for your electric cars.. rolling blackouts for everyone in the USA soon.. but hey, they'll at least have cool electric cars that are out of power.

Yeah, but we can upgrade the power grid with newer, more efficient, and cleaner generation as needed... We can't do the same with fossil fuels. Burning more coal in the short term would still be a step in the right direction, a growing pain that can then be dealt with in turn.

News Comments > Rocket League Soars Past 19M Players
12. Re: Rocket League Soars Past 19M Players Jul 20, 2016, 22:17 jacobvandy

deqer wrote on Jul 20, 2016, 19:46:
My point exactly. Only a thousand or so people streaming it. It used to be one of the top games on twitch, and now it ISN'T.

So, yeah, 19M Players, 18M inactive. Cool story.

Numbers pulled from asses notwithstanding, it's in the top 10 Steam games daily, so they're still doing better than most.

News Comments > Diablo III Season 7 Rewards
2. Re: Diablo III Season 7 Rewards Jul 20, 2016, 18:47 jacobvandy

They need to have more exclusive transmogs. That Conqueror's set is pretty meh and I believe they're going on the third chance for people to get it? It takes three seasons to get all six pieces, so anyone who's participated in all of them has been waiting around for more than a year to see something new on that front... So if you don't like the portrait frame and/or aren't interested in collecting pets (all you need is one for the gold pickup utility), there's that much less reason to care about seasons altogether.

In fact, they probably should have made the Space Marine head and shoulders a seasonal reward instead of just throwing them out as random drops. I'm hoping they're working on the rest of that set!

News Comments > Rimworld Steam Key Fraud Halted
9. Re: Rimworld Steam Key Fraud Halted Jul 18, 2016, 13:59 jacobvandy

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 18, 2016, 13:40:
You would think that if a dev was offering a steam key that it would be on the up and up and through Steam.
Is this the developers fault?
The article does a poor job of explaining what happened.

A developer selling their game on Steam is allowed to generate as many Steam keys as they want, for free, to distribute however they choose. They can hand them out to reviewers, do promo giveaways to the general public, or even sell them themselves without having to give a cut to Valve. That's why you see developers selling Steam keys on their own website, and why their most loyal supporters will insist to everyone that that is where they make their purchase: because the dev gets more money that way.

However, as is the case here, it potentially makes them a target for fraud. Either the chargebacks happen because the credit cards used by scumbag grey market key re-sellers are stolen and the victim there is rightfully trying to recoup their losses, or the scumbags themselves are filing illegitimate chargebacks and small indie studio simply cannot handle the workload involved with disputing them all. A bank will give their customer the benefit of the doubt if the merchant in question does not respond in time to a chargeback, even if it's frivolous (the bank doesn't know).

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
4. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jul 17, 2016, 17:47 jacobvandy

bigspender wrote on Jul 17, 2016, 17:30:
Saboth wrote on Jul 17, 2016, 14:39:
Land of the free, home of the brave. Everyone's so terrified that someone parked in a public street talking in their car is cause to
run out and threaten them with a gun. The guy said the kids tried to run him over.
1. If true, I think they have a right since they were being threatened with a gun.
2. If not true, then he simply ran out and started shooting at people on the street because he was afraid.

Sounds like the gun owner was looking for an excuse to use his gun or to be a hero/tough guy.

Surely using something lethal like a gun for protection, can only be done so when a life is in danger?

Even if adults were stealing everything in his home, he doesn't have the right to kill them if his life is not in danger or at risk of any injury right? Although I guess it seems like in the US it's gotten to the point where you want to shoot first since everyone has guns. What a debacle.

Some states allow you to defend your home with deadly force no matter the circumstances. And frankly it is in your best interest to kill in that situation (as opposed to just beating him up or shooting him in the leg or something), so the asshole home invader doesn't come back and try to sue you thereafter. This guy is clearly an idiot, though, for not just calling the cops to report suspicious loitering. I would hope he catches an attempted murder charge.

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Jul 17, 2016, 17:39 jacobvandy

I don't take this as EA changing their tune at all... These are all pre-Origin titles and have been available everywhere anyway. It's just now they're old enough that they decided it's okay to make them DRM-free. I'm sure sales have slowed enough at this point that tapping into that market is a decent gain for them.

Unless we see a new EA game come out that is not Origin-exclusive and/or something from the past 3-4 years go DRM-free, this is just business as usual.

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 17, 2016, 13:51:
I'm tempted to buy DA:O on gog just to have everything with no annoying DRM/Bioware account nonsense shoehorned in.

The Bioware account stuff is still there, but since it's the Ultimate Edition with [almost] all of the DLCs already included, you don't need to mess with it. It's no different than the Steam version, AFAIK.

News Comments > Saturday Pokémon Go Mobilization
3. Re: Saturday <strike>Pokémon Go</strike> Mobilization Jul 17, 2016, 02:47 jacobvandy

Here's another one, 11PM in Central Park: https://vimeo.com/174821377

Sweet fancy Moses...

News Comments > GeForce 10 DPC Latency Issue
9. Re: GeForce 10 DPC Latency Issue Jul 15, 2016, 14:21 jacobvandy

Tarmarna wrote on Jul 15, 2016, 11:37:
Glad to see at least one tech news site (Blue's News) reporting on this DPC Latency problem with the 10 series NVidia drivers.

Shame on other tech sites that have so far failed to even notice the problem after all the reviews and so called testing of the the cards after launch.

NVidia make great cards, drivers are complex, but tech sites and companies need to do better testing.

Not for nothin', but ah, I'm willing to bet the majority of people don't even know that 'DPC latency' is a thing. That includes the people doing the reviews. And just like any other driver issue, we don't know that this problem occurs with EVERY system running these cards. So blanket shaming is a bit hasty, if not outright uncalled for, IMO.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Jul 14, 2016, 23:13 jacobvandy

Fuck yeah, CHEX QUEST!  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
19. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 14, 2016, 16:53 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on Jul 14, 2016, 13:56:
Ozmodan wrote on Jul 14, 2016, 12:47:
Removed it from the kids phones. They used up their monthly data in less than a week. Too many dangers associated with it too.

Apparently it sucks battery too. One of my daughter's friends complained that he lost half is battery playing P:G on a 30m bus ride.

That would be the GPS polling. Having Google Maps open so long can drain it like that, too.

News Comments > Rocket League Crate Plans
11. Re: Rocket League Crate Plans Jul 13, 2016, 05:27 jacobvandy

thecakeisalie wrote on Jul 12, 2016, 19:50:
jacobvandy wrote on Jul 12, 2016, 19:42:
Yeah, I don't blame them at all for doing this. I'm sure there are loads of people just begging to spend more money on this game, so they'd be leaving thousands or possibly millions of dollars on the table by not adding this feature.

They're being exceptionally ethical and kind by leaving the current item drop system intact as well as allowing you to disable the loot crates entirely if you don't like them. I don't even know how people would get the idea that there could be anything but cosmetics in there...

Some people have a predisposed weakness towards gambling addiction. This kind of business practice preys on that psychological disorder. It also exposes young kids to gambling and teaches them that there's nothing wrong with it.

There is NOTHING ethical about gambling, especially when kids are potentially involved. That's what loot crates are: unregulated gambling. Loot crates are just like a bloody scratch ticket. If you cannot or will not see why unregulated gambling in video games is a problem then you are just in self-denial.

The game developer should just sell the new skins outright in their store and leave loot crates out of the mix. Instead, they are being greedy because random chance (and the best part is THEY get to decide how random because - unregulated, right?) and gambling addiction makes more money than just selling people the skins outright.

Some people are predisposed to addiction, period, but that doesn't stop alcohol or cigarettes or fatty/sugary foods from being sold within almost every square mile of the civilized world... Thank the gods our entire society is not [yet] being forced to make concessions for that minority of the population with a severe lack of self-control. The rest of us should have no issue with simply practicing moderation or choosing not to partake at all in something we decide is a waste of money.

And don't try to bring that "think of the children!" bullshit into this, lol. That isn't a video game developer's responsibility. It is a truly sad state of affairs when people expect anyone else but the parents to be doing the parenting. If a kid is being left to learn life lessons solely from video games, that's an entirely different issue that has ZERO to do with gambling. If you really don't want your kid throwing away money (there are a zillion ways to do it on the internet), don't give them any and/or teach them how to spend responsibly.

News Comments > Rocket League Crate Plans
5. Re: Rocket League Crate Plans Jul 12, 2016, 19:42 jacobvandy

Yeah, I don't blame them at all for doing this. I'm sure there are loads of people just begging to spend more money on this game, so they'd be leaving thousands or possibly millions of dollars on the table by not adding this feature.

They're being exceptionally ethical and kind by leaving the current item drop system intact as well as allowing you to disable the loot crates entirely if you don't like them. I don't even know how people would get the idea that there could be anything but cosmetics in there...

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 8, 2016, 13:58 jacobvandy

Creston wrote on Jul 8, 2016, 11:44:
At first that seemed ludicrous, but

“And by every interaction, we mean every tap, type, swipe and click. We’re calling them touches,” it explains.

So if you send a text, that's an easy 100 touches right there. So then I can see it.

Even with that measurement, I doubt I touch the thing more than ~ 200 times a day.

Yeah, I've seen that story regurgitated in many places the past few weeks, some interpreting it as picking up and checking the phone... We're not that far gone yet, lol. It's like counting total mouse clicks and calling that how many times we sit down and do something at a computer. There's just no way.

I wonder if they had anybody who plays an incremental game on their phone, though, skewing those results. You could easily rack up a few thousand taps if you sat down and played something like Tap Titans for only an hour or less.

News Comments > Morning Patches
7. Re: Morning Patches Jul 7, 2016, 21:50 jacobvandy

Atomic wrote on Jul 7, 2016, 15:33:
jacobvandy wrote on Jul 7, 2016, 13:51:
Only patching woes I've had with that game involve occasionally waiting for the new version of F4SE.

Fortunately, they were quick to support this patch.

Speaking of F4SE; is it the reason I'm not seeing achievements?

No, that's from an official patch months ago that made it so any mod usage whatsoever will disable achievements (you'll see your save files marked [MODDED], too). F4SE is actually what allows for re-enabling achievements, using this mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12465/?

I don't know if that other mod linked here works or not. Says it doesn't require F4SE, but it still requires a .dll injection, so what's the point? Most people have F4SE anyway... Plus I don't know that I'd trust a random schmoe for that sort of thing.

News Comments > Evolve Stage 2 Details
22. Re: Evolve Stage 2 Details Jul 7, 2016, 14:26 jacobvandy

Desalus wrote on Jul 7, 2016, 12:04:
I find it very suspicious that there is no announcement as to how they are actually going to make money with the game now that it is F2P. I get the feeling that it's a huge bait and switch scheme. Beta will have no cash shop in order to draw people in and get them hooked, and then when the game is re-released it will have all sorts of monetized content.

It mentions Founders getting some in-game currency, so they'll be selling that crap for sure. Their FAQ says Founders only carry over any characters and skins they previously purchased, and I'm sure they'll be adding loads of new ones, so everyone will have something to trade that currency in for.

News Comments > Morning Patches
4. Re: Morning Patches Jul 7, 2016, 13:51 jacobvandy

Only patching woes I've had with that game involve occasionally waiting for the new version of F4SE.  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online: Gold Edition Announced
4. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online: Gold Edition Announced Jul 7, 2016, 01:46 jacobvandy

I hadn't played this since the beta, when I was thoroughly unimpressed by the ranged combat. It's all auto-targeted, heat-seeking magic missiles, which completely shatters their intended illusion of real-time/skill-based action. I picked it up for $20 on sale last week though, and this time I'm going heavy armor with two-handed swords, and finding that melee is WAY more satisfying. In many ways it is better than Skyrim, with the wide array of skills and abilities to choose from, counter-attacks and interrupts, etc. So I'm having fun with that (still getting used to seeing other people running around everywhere though, bottlenecking through quest locations and whatnot), but when the itch to experience proper bow sniping, landing headshots and watching ragdolls tumbling around, I'll go back and replay an offline TES title.  

News Comments > Evolve Countdown
17. Re: Evolve Countdown Jul 6, 2016, 23:04 jacobvandy

Not sure why they posted this before the countdown finished, but apparently it's the news that the game is going to re-launch as F2P: https://talk.turtlerockstudios.com/t/a-message-to-our-community/87816

They admit the "DLC shitstorm" ruined the game's debut and are supposedly committed to a "vigorous overhaul" of the game to make it better. Oh, and to avoid further scrutiny, it's going to be Early Access on Steam, lol... At least, that's what I assume it means when they say it will be available as a beta starting tomorrow.

This comment was edited on Jul 6, 2016, 23:09.

3333 Comments. 167 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo