Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Fort Collins, CO 03/24

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 3562 (Veteran)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
1. Re: Sunday Consolidation Mar 26, 2017, 13:19 jacobvandy

Kate Moss Edition - https://youtu.be/Pq52YeBpXHs  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
4. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Mar 25, 2017, 16:38 jacobvandy

Pfft, there are only 4 states that have yet to make Amazon and other e-tailers collect sales tax. A handful of others don't have sales tax to begin with. So yeah, the holiday is finally over... for 2% of Americans. Lazy bums!  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 23, 2017, 13:45 jacobvandy

Agent-Zero wrote on Mar 23, 2017, 12:02:
supposedly Amazon is the biggest reason the shopping malls are getting fucked

They're one reason, but Wal-Mart is a bigger one, I'd say. All but a few of the chains listed in that article are clothing stores, many of them mid-range ones that sell the expensive brands that most people don't have the money for these days. I don't know that Amazon sells very much clothing, they've only started pushing into that market in the past couple years, so I don't think the death of the fashion mall can be blamed on them.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Amazon to expand counterfeit removal program in overture to sellers. Mar 22, 2017, 20:11 jacobvandy

Uh, how is that bad for consumers? I bought a spare charger a while ago that was labeled OFFICIAL SAMSUNG OEM, same shape as the one that came with my phone with the logo on there and everything... But it was a fake. Both the adapter and USB cable are physically flimsy compared to the real deal, and it doesn't fast-charge. It's ridiculous how so many third-party vendors get away with that sort of thing.

I've got no problem with them selling bargain bin accessories, sometimes they're good enough, but they shouldn't be allowed to charge more for their cheap junk by imitating the branded product. I'm surprised more companies haven't sued Amazon over the kind of complacency and tacit approval they've shown so far.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 22, 2017, 00:54 jacobvandy

It remains to be seen, but so far it seems they're on track to do it. Zelda is a phenomenon, and if that ~90% attach rate figure is correct you can essentially call it a $360+ console selling like hotcakes in March, compared to the $250 Wii that included Wii Sports putting up similar sales figures during its first holiday season (totaled 3.19m from 11/19/06 - 12/31/06).

We know they sold through just about all of that initial shipment of 2 million Switches between pre-orders and the first week of release, and this week a second wave of stock is flying off the shelves just as quickly. It'll be interesting to see the exact figures on Nintendo's annual report next month.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 20, 2017, 14:21 jacobvandy

They're not healthier, though, they just don't die of heart disease. 20% infant mortality rate and 67% of the population suffers intestinal worms, not to mention higher rates of other infectious diseases... Their life expectancy is still lower than in developed countries. The article quotes a cardiology expert who points out the results may be skewed because only the fittest people of the tribe even live long enough to have been included in the study (age 40+).  

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Mar 19, 2017, 18:20 jacobvandy

Quboid wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 15:46:
Would you say you are a Libertarian? You're basically describing how every person views their own ideology. Everyone thinks they use common sense and morals, everyone thinks they're individuals (obligatory), everyone wants oversight when it's needed and doesn't want it when it's not needed, most people want to preserve/restore freedoms. The differences are in what we consider to be needed/not needed/freedom/moral.

IMO most people do not think for themselves, they're indoctrinated into one of the two major parties and that's where they get their opinions from. Those borrowed opinions are what shape their sensibilities, not the other way around. Everything becomes a liberal vs. conservative dichotomy and you're not allowed to venture from the side you're on or else you risk being ostracized by the friends/family/whoever that you've aligned yourself with. That leads to the needless hostility, the Us vs. Them mentality that is decidedly not libertarian in philosophy.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Mar 19, 2017, 14:49 jacobvandy

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 13:38:
Shut. The Fuck. Up.

Don't try to bring libertarian bullshit into video games, ugh.

Libertarianism is about as realistic as communism. Great idea, unfortunately humans will just fuck it up.

Actually, I guess that is an extremely valid connection to open world games, then, especially MMOs.

Perhaps you are confusing libertarianism with anarchism? "Libertarian" is not a form (or lack) of government, it describes an individual that uses common sense and their own moral compass to approach each issue individually rather than mindlessly toe a party line. Libertarians don't all agree with each other, except generally on the basic underlying principle that everyone should be free to do whatever they want, so long as it doesn't infringe on anyone else's ability to do the same.

Of course, just about any form of government will get in the way of that to varying degrees, so a libertarian usually does oppose excessive oversight and control. Anyone with a brain knows that our government won't just go away, so libertarians in politics aren't usually wasting their breath advocating complete abolishment of the state. What you will see, though, are attempts to preserve what freedoms we still have, as well as retake those that we've lost.

I'm just not sure how you could call that bullshit unless there's a misconception behind it...

News Comments > Diablo III Adding Build Switching and Perfect Items
4. Re: Diablo III Adding Build Switching and Perfect Items Mar 17, 2017, 16:09 jacobvandy

Players endlessly clamor for new progression, that's where the idea for primals came from. However it was also player feedback that eliminated the power creep from this patch... Blizzard was ready to raise stat ranges again, but in response to the negative reaction they changed it to merely adding better chance of finding a perfect ancient. The most competitive players don't get any stronger with this update, it's the casuals who are getting a catch-up boost.

Several very nice QoL updates, too, though.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 15, 2017, 14:24 jacobvandy

Suckage wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 12:17:
I'm just about ready to switch back to dumbphones for when I travel.

I can imagine them asking to see your phone, then you flip it open and start to hand it over... They'll either shake their head and wave you through, or inform you you've just been "randomly selected" for a more thorough screening.

News Comments > Space Hulk: Deathwing Adds Content
5. Re: Space Hulk: Deathwing Adds Content Mar 15, 2017, 11:49 jacobvandy

It's a feature on Steam, lots of games allow opting in to beta versions of updates... Skyrim and Fallout 4 did that, too.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 14, 2017, 19:14 jacobvandy

If I can offer you some advice, sign up for an alert on a site like this one: https://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/nintendoswitch/

That's how I was able to get my Amazon pre-order six weeks ago, when the second wave was available for a whole 25 minutes or so. Also helped me nab an NES Classic last month.

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 14, 2017, 11:49 jacobvandy

The interesting thing is that most of these initial sales were hyped up pre-orders. People didn't quite know how amazing Zelda was until it was out, or at least until the reviews hit, but by then it was already very hard to find a system. It's sold out everywhere like the Wii was at first, except this is in March, not the week before Thanksgiving! There are still droves of people just aching to buy as soon as stock is replenished, if they're not giving in to the scalpers or settling for playing the game on Wii-U.  

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 13, 2017, 11:27 jacobvandy

It's PuyoPuyo/Tetris, not the traditional puzzle game but a mash-up with 4-player multi and a story mode campaign that has not yet been released outside of Japan. I wouldn't buy it anyway because it's not my cup of tea, but it's going to be $30 on PS4 so it's not that far out of the ordinary. The article mentions that putting games on these carts is more expensive than discs, which sounds pretty reasonable to me. Also, the price of digital having to be the same as physical is a law obeyed by all consoles, not just Nintendo.

Anyway, there are several indies on there available now for $10-20, so it's not some fundamental pricing issue so much as a few publishers testing the waters of how much they can get away with charging for games on a brand new platform. If the price is too high, people will wait for physical copies to be marked down... Publishers will take the hint eventually, if not just release digital-only.

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 2017, 11:47.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 11, 2017, 16:39 jacobvandy

You can plan as many projects as you want, doesn't mean you'll actually complete them. In this case, he'll die but they can still attach his name as producer to those films.  

News Comments > Hello Games New Project Plans
5. Re: Hello Games New Project Plans Mar 3, 2017, 11:04 jacobvandy

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 10:46:
Verno wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 10:12:
They made one of the largest disappointments in gaming history so I doubt I will be checking out their follow up. I don't feel like they've adequately delivered on the initial promises, let alone earned a reprieve on a sequel. Big meh.

Sean Murray lied his ass off about NMS too so whatever they say about this game, expect the opposite.

Think of this, many shit on EA games... well most still actively develop and fully focus on these offerings. I see if you put out a game in relatively the same shape but call it finished... you can just move on, fire and forget. So ponder that for a while, in a case like this EA has the advantage, still sole focus, at least for most.

Isn't it a bit early to be drinking?

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
10. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 3, 2017, 00:28 jacobvandy

Bumpy wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 20:24:
Why do people even use the app? What is wrong with sending and using MMS that comes with every phone sold.

MMS is slow as balls despite compressing the shit out of any picture (or even worse, video) you try to send, since they still use ancient transmission methods similar to simple texts rather than mobile data. Phone carriers could have provided Snapchat-like functionality long ago if they cared to, but as we've seen they're generally content with putting in the bare minimum of work to rake in their fat stacks of cash.

But I believe the biggest reason is the temporary nature of most Snaps... It really lowers the inhibitions when you know that nude pic you're sending isn't being downloaded to their phone. Yes, clever folk will take screenshots, but they detect that and rat you out to the sender. Which has led to a whole host of (sometimes malicious) apps meant just for capturing Snaps without detection.

Yep, that $30 billion was built in no small part by sexting Millenials.

News Comments > Game Developers Choice Awards
15. Re: Game Developers Choice Awards Mar 2, 2017, 18:05 jacobvandy

Kxmode wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 15:26:
jacobvandy wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 12:16:
Patently untrue. It's cooled off since last year, sure, but it's still in the Top 5 grossing apps on both iOS and Android and last month cleared $1 billion in total revenue. Do you know how many thousands of app devs would literally kill to have a product of theirs be that successful?

I originally wrote "nobody," but I knew that's simply not true. So I used "anyone hardly" based on my coworkers. There were at least 7-8 people enamored with p-GO at release. Almost daily they would coordinate outings during their lunch breaks to find Pokemon. None of them play today. They roll their eyes if reminded of the time they used to play. Just wanted to make clear that I was careful with the words I chose so as to not paint with an over-generalizing brush.

You weren't careful enough then, lol. "Hardly anyone" means the same thing as "next to nobody," so if all you meant was to say that the handful of people you know who used to play it don't anymore, you should have just been that specific. As opposed to the glib dismissal you decided on.

There's a fair chance it will go down in history as a fad that doesn't last much longer than it already has, but it was a global phenomenon that is still going strong in the mobile app business and so is well-deserving of such an award, IMO.

News Comments > Mass Effect Andromeda Multiplayer Beta Cancelled
7. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Multiplayer Beta Cancelled Mar 2, 2017, 13:29 jacobvandy

'Canceled' doesn't look right to me. Noah Webster was a jackass.  

News Comments > Game Developers Choice Awards
7. Re: Game Developers Choice Awards Mar 2, 2017, 12:16 jacobvandy

Kxmode wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 11:43:
Best Mobile/Handheld Game
Pokemon Go (Niantic)

Congrats to a game anyone hardly plays today.

Patently untrue. It's cooled off since last year, sure, but it's still in the Top 5 grossing apps on both iOS and Android and last month cleared $1 billion in total revenue. Do you know how many thousands of app devs would literally kill to have a product of theirs be that successful?

3562 Comments. 179 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo