Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 3702 (Veteran)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Destiny 2 Day One Issues Outlined
18. Re: Destiny 2 Day One Issues Outlined Oct 20, 2017, 13:04 jacobvandy

Creston wrote on Oct 20, 2017, 10:07:
It seems like a big list, but most of them are small issues for pretty niche setups.

This one, however Closing Application: When closing Destiny 2 on PC, players must close the application via mouse input. Controllers cannot select the in-game button to close the Destiny 2 application. is just freaking nuts.

I've seen that in a few other multi-platform games, there is no reason for them to implement a "close application" button for consoles because you just back out to the home menu when you're done. So when they put in a little X or whatever to exit on PC, it has to be clicked. FWIW, using a controller on PC somewhere away from the mouse connected to it is also a pretty niche setup.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Oct 19, 2017, 21:48 jacobvandy

Good catch! There's a ridiculous $7.99 additional charge for shipping, but that's still a great price. Amazon's selling it for $30 right now, so $17 with a free game (whether or not it's any good) is something I felt I should jump on.  

News Comments > Civilization VI Fall Update & New DLC
1. Re: Civilization VI Fall Update & New DLC Oct 19, 2017, 21:43 jacobvandy

I assume this is the reason I have a new 50% off coupon for Civ VI Deluxe Edition (regular price $80)... However there doesn't seem to be an upgrade option, so it's pretty useless for someone who already owns the base game. All the DLC costs $38 separately anyway!  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
13. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 18, 2017, 16:03 jacobvandy

Verno wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 15:47:
That would be rape.

But if a woman does it HUBBAHUBBA GOTTA UNWRAP MY DONGHOSE FROM MY SHOULDER AND GET ME DAT ASS. Or something.

Yeah, it's a double-standard, but that's just how it is. Teenage boys are animals, all but humping the air as they walk around like an un-snipped dog. Plus, most are already physically as large as or even towering over the teaching staff in high school... If there's an affair with Ms. Krabapple, you can be pretty sure it was by his choice.

News Comments > Visceral Closing; Star Wars Game Changing Direction
10. Re: Visceral Closing; Star Wars Game Changing Direction Oct 17, 2017, 22:48 jacobvandy

"An experience players will come back to and enjoy for a long time to come", yeah, that's called A GOOD GAME, regardless of the genre... Read between the lines here and you can see EA isn't interested in shipping a solid self-contained title like Uncharted meets Star Wars, they want everything to be an addictive, grindy, milk-you-dry service they can attach DLCs and microtransactions to. Fuck off, man, I really wish they didn't have an exclusive on the IP.

Here's hoping the core Visceral team jumps ship and resurfaces in a new indie studio, or at least signs with a respectable publisher that will let them do what they want.

News Comments > Emulation and the Law
5. Re: etc. Sep 30, 2017, 19:35 jacobvandy

killer_roach wrote on Sep 30, 2017, 18:22:
MacLeod wrote on Sep 30, 2017, 17:34:
Rilcon wrote on Sep 30, 2017, 17:00:
Atlus kinda extremely sound like high-level assholes... I mean, they're not selling any more copies of PS3 games, so this reeks of lawyers doing something assholish and ultimately detrimental to everyone affected and involved just to justify their absurd paychecks.

Well, Persona 5 was just released this April (for PS3 and PS4) so it is a new game... but it seems odd that they could DMCA an emulator that doesn't emulate their hardware.

Mind you, they were the company that threatened people if they were streaming their game earlier this year (Persona 5 as well).

From what it sounds like, Atlus sent the C&D because the emulator was showing images of their emulator running Persona 5, which means they were using Atlus' IP to solicit donations.

It's exactly that. Atlus are within their rights to protect their IP when it's being used for promotion without their permission. Plus they claim they used DRM that would prevent the game being played through unofficial means, so if the guys behind the emulator had it running as they say, somehow they are or were circumventing that, which would be illegal whether you're using a legit copy of the game or not.

Anyway, the whole article is pretty nonsensical. The emulator isn't "shut down," they came back immediately with references to this particular game removed. Glancing at their site, though, it looks like they're begging to be slapped around by many more lawyers real soon... Now they've got RDR headlining the front page, both art and the logo, in the context of "check out this popular game we've almost got working, send us cash to get it done quicker!"

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Sep 29, 2017, 16:15 jacobvandy

NKD wrote on Sep 29, 2017, 12:32:
People like to tell themselves its just kids with their parents credit cards, but it's an adult, more often than not. The percentage of parents that just let their kids buy whatever the fuck they want on their credit cards is not really high enough to sustain a business model...

There's no telling what the numbers are, children vs. adults, of who decides to buy stuff like this, but I agree that the majority of dollars spent has to be adults. Maybe little Johnny asks his mom to load up his account with $10-20 now and then, and there are a lot of others like him, but grown-up gamer Jeff will throw around hundreds or even thousands of dollars into it because for better or worse, he's in charge of all of his own finances. Video games as an industry are bigger than ever not because the world population is rising and there are more kids around than 20 years ago, it's because the generation of people who grew up with the hobby are now adults with careers and LOADS of money to spend on it.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Sep 28, 2017, 21:09 jacobvandy

Wallshadows wrote on Sep 28, 2017, 11:22:
I'm just bad at shooters because I rest my wrist too much so I don't get much mouse movement which means I'd miss you if all you were doing was strafing.

Turn up the sensitivity so that your small mouse movements translate to larger view shifts on screen. You should be able to rotate at least 360 degrees by moving from one side of your range of motion to the other, IMO, and it doesn't matter if that range is 5-6 inches or two feet. You may have to pick up the mouse more often compared to those that move their whole arm, but following a strafing target shouldn't be an issue so long as you're accustomed to the sensitivity you choose to play at.

News Comments > Battle.net Mobile App
4. Re: Battle.net Mobile App Sep 27, 2017, 15:33 jacobvandy

That's a shame... Not installing two B.net apps.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 23, 2017, 13:27 jacobvandy

How does that even happen, wouldn't you notice it didn't make the right noise or offer any resistance when you first open the drink? It's pretty easy to tell when a carbonated pressure vessel has been tampered with...  

News Comments > NBA 2K18 Tips Off
1. Re: NBA 2K18 Tips Off Sep 15, 2017, 12:21 jacobvandy

I got 2K17 by surprise from a Humble Monthly bundle some time this summer, and I hadn't played a sports game in forever so I decided to give it a shot recently... Video game b-ball is a lot more complex in terms of controls than it was back in the N64/Gamecube era when I used to play NBA Courtside, but after some time playing I'm getting the hang of it and it's very satisfying.

And the campaign, MyCAREER, is pretty sweet! Create your own player, build a fanbase, put the work in and try to become the next Jordan or Kobe, all with some loosely-knit story cutscenes to flavor up an otherwise straightforward season mode. It can be frustrating at first if you're learning how to play (there is no actual tutorial) while also being at a pretty big disadvantage stat-wise compared to most AI, but choose the right position for you and learn to play to your strengths and you can start making a difference right away.

My only complaint is the fact that you can't directly improve the major stats through regular practice. Like, you'd expect you get better at shooting by just making baskets, or becoming faster and stronger by doing appropriate exercises for that, but you don't. You have to earn their in-game currency (which they sell for real money, of course) and then spend that on stat increases. I don't mind it taking a long time, it's supposed to be a simulation of a real NBA career and you don't become a superstar overnight, but it doesn't take long before you realize you're wasting a lot of time in the gym. Then it's just a grind of running through a few drills as quick as you can for what few ancillary benefits there are to gain from that.

Overall I'm enjoying it a lot, even just single-player, and I might look at picking up 2K18 sometime next year when it's on a good sale. I can already see the changes they're making in the new version should be pretty cool.

News Comments > BlizzCon Virtual Tickets
6. Re: BlizzCon Virtual Tickets Sep 14, 2017, 12:39 jacobvandy

It's way more bang for your entertainment buck than $100 to watch a shitty boxing match...  

News Comments > Rocket League Autumn Update This Month
2. Re: Rocket League Autumn Update This Month Sep 13, 2017, 14:56 jacobvandy

I think you give real-world variance more credit than it's due... Most of those things probably would be standardized and identical if it were feasible.

Anyway, Psyonix doesn't have much choice in light of the feedback they've received. I don't mind oddly-shaped arenas and have had loads of fun on the wacky experimental maps, but I can see why they're normalizing everything for the default mode of play. You can still elect to play whatever you want by queuing for non-standard modes, and I'm sure they'll continue coming out with new different rulesets and/or unique maps like hockey, basketball, item brawl, and dropshot.

This comment was edited on Sep 13, 2017, 15:18.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
11. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 10, 2017, 17:13 jacobvandy

Nintendo Switch is powered by NVIDIA, and that thing's printing money. The revenue it's provided them immediately surpassed every other application of Tegra.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 7, 2017, 21:41 jacobvandy

Whaat, utter bullshit clickbait from Ars? Another one bites the dust, I guess...

They're not pulling Star Wars and Marvel films, with Disney starting their own streaming service, they won't be renewing the Netflix deal when it expires in a couple years. In other news, water is wet!

2. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2017, 11:06 jacobvandy

We had a decent-sized storm fly over California a couple nights ago, I assume Harvey whipped it up one way or another. Anyway, it must have passed over some of the wildfire action down south before it reached where I live because those 15-20 MPH winds were disgustingly hot and filthy. What little rain fell evaporated almost as soon as it hit the ground because it was like a giant hair dryer blowing outside, lol... At least it was over quickly.

I bet a lot of people are wishing we were getting rain like Houston though; the firefighters sure would be thrilled.

News Comments > Labor Day Metaverse
1. Re: Bitcoin Crashes Sep 4, 2017, 14:03 jacobvandy

Click-bait fail of the day right there... Don't expose your own hyperbole.  

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
4. Re: Sunday Mobilization Sep 3, 2017, 23:19 jacobvandy

I honestly can't remember the last time I used the headphone jack on my phone, I just use bluetooth while I'm in the car. I remember when I had to walk places and I'd be listening to music with earbuds then, but it's been a while... Probably my last three or four phones might as well have not had one, so I can see where they're coming from. The problem would arise from doing ONLY a super thin version with no jack, which would inconvenience the people who still want it far more than the people who don't use it are bothered by still having it.  

21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 3, 2017, 12:06 jacobvandy

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 2, 2017, 22:21:
The new free spying dx12 exclusives shiny has wore off.
And just when I was thinking of downgrading to 10, not.
Did gamers all of a sudden have an epiphany.

Seriously? That's a non-story built on a previous non-story if I've ever seen one (skimming the comments, it seems Neowin reports similar "groundbreaking discoveries" every month). A change less than one percent is not even approaching margin of error for that data, not to mention that one month's or even two months' change is not a trend. People aren't going back to 7 from 10, more like the stubborn fucks who have kept on XP until the bitter end are starting to move up a rung because they're finally being forced. Or another theory from the comments, Steam is seeing an uptick of users from China on eMachine-quality rigs coming for PUBG.

News Comments > Road Rage Next Month
2. Re: Road Rage Next Month Sep 1, 2017, 11:02 jacobvandy

Crucifix wrote on Sep 1, 2017, 10:51:
Didn't this already get released last November, or was it delayed for a year?

You may be thinking of Road Redemption, the one that was Kickstarted and has been in Early Access on Steam for three whole years now, missing two of their forecasted release dates (2014 and 2016)... This new one, Road Rage, kinda came out of nowhere and appears to be beating them to retail/consoles, lol.

3702 Comments. 186 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo