Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 4634 (Master)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Job Biden on CDA and Video Games

1. Re: Job Biden on CDA and Video Games Jan 17, 2020, 19:57 jacobvandy

It's viewpoints like his that make the case for an upper age limit on the presidency, as well as the lower one...  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed

35. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed Jan 17, 2020, 11:25 jacobvandy

mch wrote on Jan 17, 2020, 10:01:
jacobvandy wrote on Jan 17, 2020, 09:35:

Is placing your own emphasis on a word in that phrase your only evidence? Bit of a leap, there.

So, let me get this straight. You conspiracy theorists think they're delaying this game to September so that it can launch on next-gen consoles that won't yet be released?

Straight up stupid, there.

Stupid is taking a response out of the context of what it's responding to. It was said they have no plans whatsoever to support the next-gen hardware based on one little snippet of this announcement, and I said that's jumping to conclusions. Assuming the delay is to align with the launch of said hardware is a similar leap.

However, native backwards compatibility in the new consoles means there is no need for 'remastered' ports. Every major game releasing this year is very likely to be fired up on that new hardware right away, and you can bet the developers have paid that some consideration. It's not that much extra work for them to support better hardware, similar to how the One X and Pro were supported with small title updates.

So for a game like this, which is supposed to be pushing the limits of what's possible even on PC... They are almost certainly thinking about how much better they could do with it on Sexbox and PS5 than the current consoles, even if they haven't yet begun testing those updates in earnest.

30. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed Jan 17, 2020, 09:35 jacobvandy

Nailbender wrote on Jan 17, 2020, 07:55:
McTurbo wrote on Jan 16, 2020, 22:06:
(game stalled for Xbox series x and PlayStation 5 release this fall)
Nope, they have no plans to support the new platforms (as they say they want this to be their "crowning achievement for THIS generation"). Also, the new platforms are expected to release on the holiday season, after the new launch date.

Is placing your own emphasis on a word in that phrase your only evidence? Bit of a leap, there.

News Comments > Horizon: Zero Dawn PC Rumor

6. Re: Horizon: Zero Dawn PC Rumor Jan 16, 2020, 22:51 jacobvandy

SirKnight wrote on Jan 16, 2020, 22:46:
Wow, I bought this when it was on a $15 sale at the end of 2017, and it's still shrink wrapped. I've been wanting to check it out but since I know it's an open world game where you'll sink TONS of hours into, I've been hesitant. At the time I was still playing Zelda BoTW, which I need to get back to actually, and I had over 100 hours into that and still not beat it yet.

It is a great game, but pretty light on side quests. Full completion is mostly about collectibles and getting gold medals in various combat challenges. More of a 50-60 hour commitment than 100+.

7. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed Jan 16, 2020, 21:33 jacobvandy

ForgedReality wrote on Jan 16, 2020, 21:27:
HoSpanky wrote on Jan 16, 2020, 21:00:
oh boy I plan on taking a week off work when it finally does launch.

lul. Only a week. Filthy casual.

Only a filthy casual needs more than 200 consecutive hours of free time to play through an open-world RPG.

News Comments > Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls Found

6. Re: Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls Found Jan 16, 2020, 10:16 jacobvandy

Wasn't someone saying in the last thread about this game that the series is only still going because of its popularity in Japan? A quick googlin' says these games have been using anime style art for two whole decades now.  

News Comments > Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year

110. Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 15, 2020, 03:35 jacobvandy

Jerykk wrote on Jan 15, 2020, 00:31:
EDIT: Huh, the numbers are actually way worse than I initially thought. I was thinking that the $251 million figure was Epic's cut but that was actually the entirety of the third-party game revenue. 12% of $251 million is only $30 million. They spent $23 million on discounts alone and the giveaways + exclusivity deals definitely cost more than $7 million so EGS was pure loss in 2019. There is zero chance of them doing that if they weren't aiming to be the market leader.

The math is a bit more complex than that, since those $10 coupons would have to factor into the split for each transaction they were a part of. The $251 million is what people actually paid for games, when the gross was +$10 as far as the third party is concerned on each of those 2.3 million purchases. It's impossible to figure out the specifics with so many unknown variables, but you're right, they definitely took a bath.

News Comments > Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year

22. Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 14, 2020, 12:36 jacobvandy

Bubicus wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 12:28:
Interesting math:
Borderlands 3 had, as of last September, sold 3.3 million PC units
At $60/unit, that is $198 million of revenue.
Epic says $250 million of revenue is from 3rd-party games.
That implies Borderlands 3 is responsible for 79% of all 3rd-party sales.
That also implies all other 3rd-party game sales combined are only $52 million.
That is... pretty bad, given the number of Epic exclusives.

That 3.3m figure came from analyst guesstimation that nearly 70% of the total 5m sales 2K announced for September were digital. For all platforms, not just PC.

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 2020, 12:59.

5. Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 14, 2020, 11:31 jacobvandy

So, $429 million spent on Fortnite and $251 million spent on EVERYTHING else on EGS since the store launched. With several AAA exclusives leading in sales (Borderlands 3, Control, Metro Exodus, Outer Worlds, etc.) at $40-60 a pop that pie disappears pretty quickly... I wonder if any one of them did more than a million units.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs

1. Re: Cookie consent tools are undermining GDPR. Jan 13, 2020, 22:04 jacobvandy

Of course they are. Even the cookie pop-up on this site opts you in to tracking by default.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 13, 2020, 16:39 jacobvandy

The article is about how Sony is reported to be making new games for the PS5 that will ONLY work on a PS5, which is a contrast to what Microsoft has already stated they are doing. Which is that their new games will continue to be compatible with current Xbox One hardware.

I think it's pretty lame for MS to be doing that, basically treating their new console like another mid-generational refresh for the foreseeable future. An Xbox One X X, if you will. That means they aren't fully committing to the new hardware and what it would enable them to do, because they still have to allow for the games to downscale to hardware that is almost a decade old. That means their SSD truly will only bring faster loading screens, since they have to continue supporting mechanical drives.

News Comments > Steam Top 10

2. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 12, 2020, 18:20 jacobvandy

I'm seeing 'Mixed' for Iceborne, though most or all of the negative reviews are referencing technical issues rather than the game itself. Unfortunate for those having issues, but consider the ratio of that 2-3 thousand against those who are happily playing (currently 120k simultaneously at an off-peak time of day).  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits

5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 12, 2020, 10:06 jacobvandy

ForgedReality wrote on Jan 11, 2020, 22:23:
HoSpanky wrote on Jan 11, 2020, 21:16:
A LOT of people are coming into our shop asking about Windows 10. Lots of these people want to upgrade their insanely weak computers to it, at a cost (OS + installation) that’d BUY them a technically better machine with win10 on it.
I don’t understand their logic, aside from “why replace something that works?”.

It’s a weird job. People who willfully use garbage hardware come in for advice that they’ll then blatantly ignore because it’s not what they wanted to hear. Why did you come waste my time to begin with? Are you lonely?

Maybe they are lonely. Are you lone-shaming?

Personally, I refuse to downgrade to Windows 10. It's a piece of fucking garbage itself. I'd sooner go back to Ubuntu and never be able to play any real games than infect my machine with buggy-af Windows As a Service Malware Windows 10. >:/

Fight the powah!

News Comments > Monster Hunter World: Iceborne Released

3. Re: Monster Hunter World: Iceborne Released Jan 10, 2020, 02:05 jacobvandy

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 10, 2020, 00:38:
40€ for an expansion with 1 map area and game breaking bug in the menu, *slowclap*

That one map is significantly larger and more complex than any of the others. It also contains nearly as many new monsters as the base game has, though some are variations of existing types. So along with the continuation of the storyline with many new quests, huge additions to character progression and combat options, loads of QoL improvements... It's not really any different than the expansion packs we used to get in the old days.

Pretty much every game in this series has received the same kind of treatment, though this may be the first time you've been able to upgrade rather than have to buy the ultimate version standalone. It's meant to provide a real challenge for bored veterans, you can't even go to the new area until you beat the main story and have acquired what was previously endgame gear.

News Comments > Into the Black

6. Re: Into the Black Jan 9, 2020, 23:34 jacobvandy

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 9, 2020, 20:52:
"Turns out Wash was fine all along!"

It was a dream! An alternate reality! The dark timeline! Our neighboring dimension! A cautionary tale!

Probably easier to just ignore the movie if this happens. But still... It's been like 15 years, it's not going to be the same even if you do get the whole cast back. They're old.

News Comments > etc.

1. Re: etc. Jan 9, 2020, 12:09 jacobvandy

Save yourself a click, video game Geralt says nothing specific in his tweet. It's the same old "loved the show except for the time jumping" opinion everyone else has.  

News Comments > Sea of Thieves Passes 10M Players

4. Re: Sea of Thieves Passes 10M Players Jan 8, 2020, 20:04 jacobvandy

It's just the total number of people who have tried the game. They were running free trials within the first 6 months, and then Xbox game pass came along and made it virtually free all the time. If they had a more impressive metric to boast about, they would.  

News Comments > Overwatch 2 This Year?

14. Re: Overwatch 2 This Year? Jan 8, 2020, 19:36 jacobvandy

They said that, and then released a Modern Warfare remake 12 months after Black Ops 4. I'll believe Call of Duty has changed when they decide to support one game for 4+ years, rather than continue to annually rotate their half-dozen sub-series.  

News Comments > EA Patents Direct Character Customization

19. Re: EA Patents Direct Character Customization Jan 8, 2020, 18:50 jacobvandy

Quinn wrote on Jan 8, 2020, 17:56:
Wasn't it Oblivion or maybe Mass Effect that had this already and worked wonky? I remember selecting an area on the face that then glowed red and you could then shape that area the way you liked using your mouse.

Fallout 4 does that, for sure.

News Comments > Overwatch 2 This Year?

11. Re: Overwatch 2 This Year? Jan 8, 2020, 18:38 jacobvandy

Rolleyes

No, this is Blizzard, which you even acknowledge has some autonomy about 15 seconds after trying to be a smart-ass. Here, I'll update my post to make explicit what 95% of people would easily infer.

4634 Comments. 232 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >