Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On March 1, 2011
Supporter -
Total Comments 4769 (Master)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Gears 5 Free Play Days Begin

5. Re: Gears 5 Free Play Days Begin Apr 7, 2020, 11:40 jacobvandy

MattyC wrote on Apr 7, 2020, 04:55:
jacobvandy wrote on Apr 7, 2020, 01:32:
Bill Borre wrote on Apr 7, 2020, 01:14:
The steam listing is still unchanged so I wonder if you have to go thru Msoft.

Free Play Days is an Xbox Live/Game Pass thing, so yeah, you have to be a subscriber to get your free trial.

I havenít looked into this so I canít answer the original question, but I know this is incorrect. Anyone with Game Pass etc has the full version of Gears 5 (and 4, probably some others too) so they would have no use for a trial.

a) Not all games featured in Free Play Days promotions are a part of the game pass (i.e. right now TESO and Starlink are also there along with Gears 5).

b) Not everyone has the ultimate combo package subscription, many have only Xbox Live. This promo lets them play Gears 5 for free for a week without the game pass.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gears 5 Free Play Days Begin

2. Re: Gears 5 Free Play Days Begin Apr 7, 2020, 01:32 jacobvandy

Bill Borre wrote on Apr 7, 2020, 01:14:
The steam listing is still unchanged so I wonder if you have to go thru Msoft.

Free Play Days is an Xbox Live/Game Pass thing, so yeah, you have to be a subscriber to get your free trial.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance

2. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Apr 5, 2020, 21:07 jacobvandy

Ozmodan wrote on Apr 5, 2020, 19:34:
Dear Davey Winder, where have you been? Many of us have been using a pin for at least 6 months if not longer. Next time you write a story perhaps you better to do some research first.

Good for you. Now how many upgraded from 7 and are still using super simple passwords for what used to be local user profiles? Or worse, converted to using their Microsoft account but still use a simple password for that so it's easy to log in? Making PINs the default option, and eventually the only option, will be required to help protect the average schmoe. That is what Microsoft is planning to do, but has not yet done, which would be clear to someone who actually RTFA.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation

6. Re: Saturday Consolidation Apr 4, 2020, 23:02 jacobvandy

phinn wrote on Apr 4, 2020, 15:22:
The PS5 tech video from Mark Cerny was like 2 weeks ago, this article is more than a little late to the party.

They reference that talk quite a bit, but the basis for this post is a follow-up interview which Eurogamer/Digital Foundry uploaded a video about two days ago. It's only the second and third sentences of the article where they explain this...

News Comments > Epic Games Store Spring Sale [Updated]

6. Re: Epic Games Store Spring Sale Apr 3, 2020, 11:36 jacobvandy

Gadzooks wrote on Apr 3, 2020, 09:18:
Bah, I should have a coupon, but no way of seeing if I do.

I used one to buy a 25 dollar game last sale, and should have gotten another.

I'm pretty sure one of the options in the bottom left corner of the app will bring that up. I didn't see this story yesterday, so stumbling upon that is how I found out I still had one. Not sure what to use it on, though, if anything.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation

1. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 2, 2020, 19:30 jacobvandy

Pretty bummed TLOU2 is delayed again... At this point, they may as well just hold it for the PS5 launch.  

News Comments > Free Steam Key for Fallout 76 Owners

7. Re: Free Steam Key for Fallout 76 Owners Apr 2, 2020, 13:48 jacobvandy

I've been awaiting the Steam release since it was announced, too bad it's taken them a couple years. Now I'll probably just keep waiting for 75% off, unless they decide they want to actually follow through on real private servers and mod support, too.  

News Comments > Sea of Thieves Stealing onto Steam

3. Re: Sea of Thieves Stealing onto Steam Apr 2, 2020, 13:28 jacobvandy

Lucky wrote on Apr 2, 2020, 12:41:
Which game store was the PC version on before today ? I don't play multiplayer so have not payed attention to this game much.

Microsoft Store on Windows 10... It's a travesty. They package up full-size games like they're mobile apps, including blocking access to the actual files on your disk. I refuse to buy anything from there, so it's convenient for me that they're relinquishing all of their 'exclusives' after some time.

News Comments > Report: Gearbox Staff Unhappy with Lower Than Expected Borderlands 3 Bonuses

10. Re: Report: Gearbox Staff Unhappy with Lower Than Expected Borderlands 3 Bonuses Apr 1, 2020, 21:33 jacobvandy

Well, the Quote and Edit buttons are RIGHT next to each other!  

News Comments > Minecraft Dungeons Delayed

2. Re: Minecraft Dungeons Delayed Mar 31, 2020, 22:06 jacobvandy

Hard to shake a stick at $20, they could very easily get away with charging more.  

3. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 30, 2020, 21:02 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on Mar 30, 2020, 20:31:
MS *not* using some proprietary technology they can charge up the wazoo for? I'm shocked.

Well, the alternative to changing AAs every couple dozen hours is to buy their rechargeable battery pack separately... That's an extra $20-25 for the current controller. It's worth it if you're planning to put at least a few hundred hours on it, compared to the cost of batteries, but other consoles include that functionality in the price of the controller. It remains to be seen what the prices will look like for Sexbox accessories, but considering they're also trying to improve on the haptic feedback and such, my guess is they'll be higher.

News Comments > Out of the Blue

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2020, 17:05 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on Mar 29, 2020, 16:56:
Condom shortage looms after coronavirus lockdown shuts world's top producer. Thanks

Explains the 2020 Christmas baby spike.

Sodomy on the rise while hoarders more closely scrutinize their partners to decide whether they're "sheath-worthy."

1. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 28, 2020, 06:27 jacobvandy

GameStop today reassured investors that the ongoing novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic does not yet seem to be threatening the year-end launches of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X.

The first sentence is all you need to read... Of course they're going to say that, when all they've been able to tell their investors is "3/4 of this year will suck, but then new consoles will come out and more than make up for it." Nevermind that it's something they have zero control over.

News Comments > Get World War Z, Tormentor x Punisher, and Figment for Free

15. Re: Got World War Z, Tormentor x Punisher, and Figment for Free Mar 28, 2020, 00:48 jacobvandy

MattyC wrote on Mar 27, 2020, 12:36:
Slick wrote on Mar 26, 2020, 21:57:
Seems like a decent spiritual successor to Left4Dead.

Can't wait to see what this genre looks like for the next generation when instead of 100 zombies on-screen at a time they can do 10,000.

Fun always trumps realism, but at the same time I think I would really want to know just where are all these zombie people coming from? I mean sure, you can suspend realism, and sometimes you do find yourself in a city, but most zombie games take place in ruraltown, USA population 4-5k, tops.

Ever consider that those settings are sometimes chosen because of such production limitations?

Anyway, yeah, played a few levels tonight and it's pretty fun. It's the gameplay loop of L4D with the playstyle customization of Killing Floor (plus leveling up proficiency in each individual weapon), and the spectacle of the WWZ license sprinkled on top. Not a bad choice at all for some co-op shooter action.

News Comments > More About Playing Half-Life Alyx Without VR

7. Re: More About Playing Half-Life Alyx Without VR Mar 27, 2020, 14:13 jacobvandy

Bodolza wrote on Mar 27, 2020, 13:57:
I'd like to see someone pull off the catch-and-trap a headcrab trick here without tracked controllers.

https://youtu.be/Shw47ChNYYg?t=226

Cool video, but I'm disappointed to see the physics haven't evolved much... Using any old object as a projectile was a core mechanic in HL2, so why can't whacking an enemy with anything you can pick up hurt them now?

News Comments > On Sale

1. Re: On Sale Mar 26, 2020, 22:55 jacobvandy

That's the best price the ARK season pass has ever been, $11.25 if you already own the base game. I guess since they have a new "season" with a new pass now, they're finally willing to put the old stuff on clearance.

A 50GB download expands to a 200GB installation, though, GODDAMN!

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 2020, 00:27.

News Comments > Out of the Blue

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2020, 12:13 jacobvandy

It is a definite improvement. At least on mobile, where long headlines would often take up 2 or 3 lines and start to run together.  

News Comments > DOOM Eternal Killing It

24. Re: DOOM Eternal Killing It Mar 26, 2020, 10:03 jacobvandy

Quinn wrote:
Doom Eternal makes me think of Jedi Fallen Order somehow -- with that game, too, I expected a cool action game that had me slice through unfortunate stormtroopers, mechanics and creatures but instead I got this every-battle-demands-your-best-effort labor.

I know it hurts the pride, but 'Story' difficulty was made for those who don't want the combat to be as challenging.

News Comments > etc.

2. Re: etc. Mar 24, 2020, 11:50 jacobvandy

Good move from the Plague Inc. devs. The best viral marketing ever has made them a lot more than $250k recently, I bet, and the donation makes it seem more like fundraising than profiteering.  

News Comments > Valve on Modding VR Out of Half-Life: Alyx

4. Re: Valve on Modding VR Out of Half-Life: Alyx Mar 24, 2020, 11:43 jacobvandy

Wesp5 wrote on Mar 24, 2020, 11:29:
Very interesting, so why didn't Valve do it themselves? You just can't tell me that it wouldn't have been possible to develop VR and not VR side by side! Of course Valve wouldn't sell as much VR gear if this would have happened...

They didn't want to do it, he's saying he wants to see it happen because playing it in non-VR and people thinking it sucks would be the best endorsement for VR, proving that's what makes it good.

4769 Comments. 239 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >