Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for descender

Real Name descender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/id/descender
Signed On Feb 24, 2011, 19:58
Total Comments 2100 (Senior)
User ID 56185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 7, 2016, 16:15 descender

Yeah, he must have fled his own country and hid in an Ecuadorian embassy because he was totally innocent. Right? Would you like to buy a bridge? Cheap!

If he was actually afraid of being extradited because of Wikileaks then he would have also been afraid of that before he allegedly raped someone and fled the country... but he seemed to be in no rush to leave Sweden at the time. Lest we also forget that there was another sexual assault charge her was being investigated for that the statute of limitations has expired on.

You are "technically" right, he wasn't accused of rape. The women were trying to force him to get an HIV test done, and after explaining the situation to the police they decided it broke Swedens extremely strict rape laws. The lack of accusation doesn't change what happened.

I guess if you repeat a lie often enough, gullible people will think 'the news can't lie' and think it's the truth.
This is exactly why people think Hillary is "the devil"... oh wait, you weren't talking about the GOP/FoxNews doing that? It's their entire business model.

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 2016, 16:29.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > "Lost" Left 4 Dead Campaign Released
2. Re: Nov 6, 2016, 13:02 descender

Wasn't this already released? I could swear I've played a third party campaign called Dam It that looks like it had the same map layout.  

News Comments > Diablo III Classic Diablo Mode & Necromancer Announced
29. Re: Diablo III Classic Diablo Mode & Necromancer Announced Nov 6, 2016, 00:28 descender

How many developers should be bowing to the concerns of 0.2% of their users? It's time to get over that.

If they can add this pixelation filter for the D1 release they could probably add the less colorful tone as an option too... but still refuse to. Makes me laugh.

News Comments > More BlizzCon Announcement Details
9. Re: More BlizzCon Announcement Details Nov 5, 2016, 11:03 descender

I've played 400+ hours of D3 and the last thing I ever gave a shit about was the setting and surrounding graphics where I was killing things. Are you really spending that time looking at what hallway you are walking down? Why is it so important that the area look different if it makes literally no other difference in gameplay?

It just seems like finding something to complain about rather than something the game is actually missing. People played the same 3 D2 maps (baal, meph, cows) over and over and over for a decade. If D3 was "more like D2" as everyone lies to themselves that they desire, then there would only be more bitching about the lack of end game content and blah blah blah.

Do you want fluff, things that add absolutely nothing to the gameplay... or do you want new classes and skills and enemies to kill? One of them is a much better use of Blizzards (and my) time.

Also, what is wrong with the rifts? Am I missing something or did it finally make it too obvious that these games are about grinding, and little else?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
33. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2016, 17:48 descender

No? I said it takes ten years of use before a new hybrid is actually better for the environment than a standard engine... So, if you purchase a new hybrid every 5 years you are causing more harm than good. The manufacturing impact of hybrids is insanely high, not even considering the environmental impact of mining those rare earth metals in the first place. More than one study has shown those costs to be higher than a combustion engine over the life of the car.

This comment was edited on Nov 4, 2016, 17:57.

News Comments > Overwatch Sombra Announced
3. Re: Overwatch Sombra Announced Nov 4, 2016, 16:39 descender

I could see them releasing a SP campaign addon, or maybe small mission packs. Kind of the way they are doing it with hearthstone.  

24. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2016, 16:34 descender

Hybrids are an interesting conundrum. Obviously, if they are running side by side with a standard car the hybrid is better for the environment "at the time". The biggest misconception here is that "running the car" is it's only cost to the environment, but it has to be created first. You have to drive a hybrid for something like 10 years before you "pay off" the carbon tax of creating the battery (which consumes an incredible amount of energy to manufacture). Only after that battery is "paid off" will any benefits to the environment actually matter.

Almost no one buys a car intending to drive it for that long anymore, so purchasing a hybrid can actually be creating more waste than you intended to save. In most cases, it makes more environmental sense to purchase a used car than a hybrid.

News Comments > Diablo III Classic Diablo Mode & Necromancer Announced
6. Re: Diablo III Classic Diablo Mode & Necromancer Announced Nov 4, 2016, 16:24 descender

Why does it bother you so much when people use words as intended by their definitions? Get a dictionary.

edit: P.S. I'll definitely fire up D3 for a run through with the necro, I spent 99 levels playing one in D2, what's another 70? :p Hopefully they've come up with something a bit more interesting than a re-skinned witch doctor.

This comment was edited on Nov 4, 2016, 16:36.

News Comments > Into the Black
11. Re: Into the Black Nov 2, 2016, 11:32 descender

Cast-iron skillets are an irreplacable tool in the kitchen IMO. There is no reason to be as gentle as people are with them, you will never really scrub off the seasoning on your pan unless you are using steel wool and serious elbows. Hot water, cold cater and dry it with a paper towel. Get yourself a silicon brush if you are worried about scratching it with something. This guide and this guide are all you will ever need.

Stainless steel is absolute crap, the lowest form of cookware you can purchase. It has the worst heat transfer, the worst heat distribution, and zero health benefits. As an adult, at minimum you should be using aluminum or copper for your pots/pans.

Trying to cook "the way a restaurant does" is misguided at best and usually just flat out bad advice for a person cooking at home.

Restaurant equipment is picked because it is cheap and durable, designed for cooking 100 meals "well", not 1 meal "perfectly". If you asked any one of those chef's what they use at home you bet your ass they have all cast-iron skillets and tri-clad aluminum pots/pans. They cook single meals completely differently than the ways they do at their restaurants.

This comment was edited on Nov 2, 2016, 11:44.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 1, 2016, 16:02 descender

There is no regulation in place in any state that would stop you from starting up a competing ISP or TV service, but that isn't what he was referring to. There are little to no regulations on what cable providers can charge their customers... that's the problem. They are both "free markets". Markets in serious need of regulation to curtail some extremely anti-consumer business practices.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
17. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 28, 2016, 16:32 descender

I wonder what those dongles are? Maybe just a keyfob of sorts with a rolling wifi password?  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
18. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 28, 2016, 16:29 descender

Since using a mac for work, I've needed almost zero investment of time in just keeping the machines ups and running reliably.

Out of the box, a windows machine works the exact same way, though... so what did you do to it? :p /inserts tongue firmly into cheek
Windows machines don't innately require any more time investment to maintain than a Mac does, unless you break it first.

The reality is, it's probably not luck, it's more being good at avoiding the kinds of things that can surface problems.
I agree, that's most likely the case... but why can't I ever draw a fucking straight when I need it? huh?! Why must I always get river'd by some schmuck with crap hole cards!

When I slid into development I moved to linux because it was just better for what I was doing
What part of "using Linux" is forcing you to purchase overpriced Mac hardware to do so? I don't really follow that line of thinking. It would seem that you could have dual-booted linux on your existing gaming rig and saved yourself the entirety of your MBP purchase? Or purchased another laptop with the same hardware specs but without the markup for the logo?

The only argument that holds water for buying a Mac, IMO, is that you use a piece of software that only exists and runs on IOS. Outside of that it seems like a poor investment.

edit: I do see your other post, you specifically need to develop on a linux laptop?

43. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2016, 16:06 descender

Dairy (meaning Cow's milk, I have no idea why eggs are lumped in with this garbage) is the last thing I'm worried about saving as it's the last thing any human should be worried about ingesting.

I feel like you're still missing my main point here (which i'll admit isn't coming out very clearly). How are you going to replace and replenish the topsoil that we are currently destroying by farming too much land too often? Usable farmland is drying up (literally in some cases) by the day and it has nothing to do with how much meat we consume.

Short of a mass extinction or population control measures those "sci fi" options are going to be your only option... and these two are actually both real-world solutions already in progress.

These are industrial scale solutions to world-scale problems. How are you going to forcefully change the diet of 7 billion people? You aren't, because no one agrees on what that diet is.

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2016, 16:34.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
13. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 28, 2016, 14:53 descender

Try not to choke on all of that Apple marketing hype :p

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
13. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 28, 2016, 14:46 descender

Sometimes I wonder if I'm wasting all of my luck by having a PC that doesn't shit itself every time it gets updated or turned off. Sometimes... I just want to win a game of poker.

I don't really understand people that come on bragging about all of the problems they have with Windows, as if your level of technical inadequacy is supposed to impress people. Do they really think that it's all just a big lie and every windows computer out there is just crashing all the time?

Have no fear, PEBCAK supports all operating systems and hardware equally.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
12. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 28, 2016, 14:09 descender

No one outside of Nintendo's shareholders really gives a crap about Nintendo's day-to-day stock price, though. Consumer reception is all that matters for a new product launch... because they are the ones that are going to buy it or not. Soccer moms are not checking stock prices while buying Xmas gifts.

Those same moron investors caused a $7bil market correction once Nintendo announced that they didn't actually develop Pokemon Go and only owned a 32% share in any Pokemon properties in the first place... so I'm not terribly worried about their initial reaction to something they obviously don't take any time to understand properly.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 28, 2016, 10:10 descender

And don't get me wrong, I'd much rather have a 40" display too... but I don't have a 4 foot deep desk or the desire to turn my head :p  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 28, 2016, 09:34 descender

Most people sit pretty close to their monitor. At ~18inches on a 20" display, you can see better than a 4k resolution according to the charts.  

37. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2016, 08:46 descender

You fundamentally don't understand how meat production works.
No, you fundamentally missed the entire point of my post.

I didn't say that meat was more efficient to grow than plants, I said that you can't have one without the other and that growing crops for everyone would take up more land than we currently possess on this planet... neither of which you seem to be debating.

It doesn't matter if meat is "less efficient" to produce, switching to all plant diets isn't an answer. You simply can't grow enough plants without the cattle to fertilize it or the land to grow it on. It currently takes 1 acre of land to feed 1 person, and that is WITH current levels of meat consumption. There are only 7 billion arable acres of land on this planet. Do the math, something obviously has to change but it can't simply be "farm more". Just increasing the efficiency of the farm to table delivery line and cutting down on the desire to eat "pretty" vegetables could nearly double the number of people we can feed with current systems without growing or raising a single extra plant or animal.

The way you have broken it down there is a pretty misleading way to look at nutrition in general. 1kg of beef and 1kg of wheat/soybeans are not nutritionally equivalent so they are obviously going to take differing amounts of resources to produce in the first place. We don't even have to get into the specifics of why a particular diet is or is not healthy... we have to change the way we produce foods.

1) We have to create more arable land through vertical farms (as suggested).
2) We need to try to eat less meat and find a better way to produce it (lab-grown, as suggested).
3) We need to allow cattle to graze the farmlands on rotations, further increasing the need for more arable land. We are literally running out of topsoil and if we stop raising cattle for slaughter we aren't going to have enough manure to create the fertalizer to grow the food in the first place.

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2016, 09:18.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2016, 17:49 descender

Do you want your children or grand-children do die gracefully from old age? Or do you want them to starve, or die of thrist?

Industrial-scale farming is eliminating the topsoil around the world and will be causing the exact scenario you just blamed on meats. :p

We can't feed plants to 7billion people, there simply isn't enough earth for that. We actually NEED industrial-scale meat-markets in order to supply the amount of fertilizer required to do industrial-scale farming. It's a double edged sword with no easy answers.

Cutter is right, lab-meat and vertical growhouses are the wave of the future, not blindly promoting one type of food over the other.

2100 Comments. 105 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo