Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for descender

Real Name descender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/id/descender
Signed On Feb 24, 2011, 19:58
Total Comments 2426 (Senior)
User ID 56185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 17, 2017, 17:53 descender

What role would you like BLM as a political organization to play? Organize a protest at his place of work? Or at the homes of his family members?

Maybe you should stop trying to dictate what BLM is and does based on your own bias and prejudices?

Or just get your head out of your ass and realize that this is all over the news and people are, in fact, outraged.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
10. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2017, 13:43 descender

Potential NBA point guard jdreyer shops himself around to NBA teams. Confused as to why there are no takers.

Yeah? Have you shown the capacity to develop into an NBA point guard through some athletic achievements?

Potential doesn't mean "literally anything is possible". Words have meanings, stop butchering them.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2017, 13:41 descender

"We don't claim to have created an undefeatable ad blocker, but we identify an evolving combination of technical and legal factors that will determine the "end game" of the arms race,"

It currently isn't blocking the ads on purpose, only covering/highlighting them because they are still testing it and they are dodging legal trouble. There is much less pushback from advertising firms for merely highlighting them. Eventually, they will give you an option to block them instead if they feel they have covered themselves legally. They very clearly think that they are developing the "end game" of ad-blockers since that is literally what they said. if you think they got into the highlighting ads business then you have completely misunderstood what is said here.

The reason it has the potential to be "undefeatable" is because the method it uses to identify the ads doesn't rely on detecting one set of particular HTML tags like a popup or a div overlay.

Everything about the headline is accurate. You just don't have a friggin clue what they are actually doing.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2017, 11:54 descender

"potentially undefeatable ad-blocker" is misleading when none of the words used in that phrase even apply to what it does currently.

Wall

2. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2017, 10:56 descender

Potential: Having or showing the capacity to develop into something in the future.

Or... was it the word "misleading" you were using incorrectly? It's so hard to tell.

The vocabulary and reading comprehension of the general public is just astounding.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2017, 10:00 descender

I feel like the Rogue One CGI did look off in 3D in the theater, but it looks considerably better on the Bluray. I don't even notice it now.

If you think they'll actually stop doing this I've got a surprise for you :p

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: On Overwatch Smurfing and Loss Streaks Apr 15, 2017, 16:16 descender

That probably explains what you saw in the matchmaking at least. The article is kind of griping about slower progress, but what that really does is cause them to get matched up with teammates that are below their actual skill level. That would explain the "surrounded by idiots" feeling for Support/Healer mains  

News Comments > etc.
50. Re: On Overwatch Smurfing and Loss Streaks Apr 15, 2017, 10:50 descender

Maybe you should actually read the posts in this thread then. Just because you've decided to ignore everyone in this thread and talk at us doesn't mean we weren't trying to explain it.  

16. Re: On Overwatch Smurfing and Loss Streaks Apr 14, 2017, 19:51 descender

Me please, just so someone with 5 posts doesn't win it.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
9. Re: On Overwatch Smurfing and Loss Streaks Apr 14, 2017, 19:51 descender

I'm nearly certain what they really meant is that this was a test run for a product with a certain library and there will be a different... better one that replaces it.  

News Comments > etc.
48. Re: On Overwatch Smurfing and Loss Streaks Apr 14, 2017, 18:46 descender

You don't get to pick which one of the 40 definitions applies to a verb just because you like the example they gave.

Take, as in... you took someone else's stuff. It wasn't yours, and you made it yours. You can sidestep and dodge this all you want, but you are still wrong. Being digital is irrelevant. Your inability to comprehend digital ownership doesn't preclude its existence.

I give up. Keep stealing software. I hope you go to jail and spend your whole time explaining to your new boyfriend how it wasn't "really stealing". As in, he stole your anal virginity and even though it wasn't a physical thing... you won't have it anymore.

Abstract, it's too fucking much for you.

News Comments > etc.
40. Re: On Overwatch Smurfing and Loss Streaks Apr 14, 2017, 13:34 descender

Those words mean something other than what is going on.

No, they mean something that you don't seem to understand.

Stealing (from OED): Take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it.

So how are you acquiring someone else's intellectual property without stealing it? Do you have another straw man semantic argument for that? or have you just literally never looked up the definition of the words that you are droning on about?

Sorry, but you are the only one playing armchair psychologist here, and failing at it miserably. You're built an entire straw house in this thread. Stop it.

It is theft in every way that has already been explained to you. It doesn't matter how many times you say it, or how many times you call it "propaganda" (do you even understand what that word means?), or how many circles you try to talk us in. There are dozens of court cases that show exactly how this is handled in a courtroom. It is theft and you are just flat out wrong. Theft covers many crimes that do not involve tangible goods.

You are free to argue about it with a judge, but we are never going to accept this whack-ass definition of what you are doing to escape liability for your actions. You are hung up on semantics and it makes your position not just weak, but inapplicable to reality.

Is this the first time you've attempted to form an opinion on piracy? You seem quite new to the game and quite uninformed about all of the legal precedents in place already.

So keep calling whatever you wish to call it. It's still illegal, and you will still be prosecuted the same way regardless of how you label it.

This comment was edited on Apr 14, 2017, 13:48.

News Comments > etc.
34. Re: On Overwatch Smurfing and Loss Streaks Apr 13, 2017, 13:20 descender

I don't think anyone gives a rats ass about how you've justified your lack of morals or ethics.

I'll put it this way; I will not steal from my friends. I'll copy their games without a moment's thought. If I could copy their ferraris, I'd do that too.

Your friends purchased the game and it is illegal for them to physically or digitally reproduce it to give it to you. Full stop.
When you then install the illegally made copy you are committing a second illegal act. Full stop.

You have now both committed illegal acts.

Your obsession with the word theft is merely your obsession with deflecting your own illegal actions. You can't argue that "it isn't theft" just because you don't care that you stole something. Copyright violation is a type of larceny, as are burglary, robbery, and embezzlement.

Maybe this will help your misguided ideals. You aren't actually "stealing" the software that you downloaded, the person that made the illegal copy of it did that. What you are doing is indirectly stealing the money that you should have paid to the content creator to install it on your own computer. You can label that as whatever type of theft fits your definition, but it is still theft. They would have had money in their possession had you acquired their product the proper way, and you stole it from them instead. So take that pin and stick it in your "original copy isn't missing" argument. It simply doesn't work the way you are trying to twist it, tangibility is irrelevant.

Morally... Ethically... you have neither if you think appropriating things that other people create as your own is OK.

This comment was edited on Apr 13, 2017, 13:40.

News Comments > Diablo III Necromancer Beta
14. Re: On Overwatch Smurfing and Loss Streaks Apr 13, 2017, 12:28 descender

Path of exile may have a lot of "builds" with the different jewels, but not many of them actually play that differently.

It's like the stupid tag-line from Borderlands...
Hype: BILLIONS OF GUNS!!!
Reality: Like 5 useful combinations

I get that the customization is a feature, but again it's a tedious feature that takes dozens of hours to even find out if it was worth the trouble.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: On Overwatch Smurfing and Loss Streaks Apr 13, 2017, 11:56 descender

I don't see how what they did is illegal... how is this different than a store owner reading his competitors ad and adjusting his sales accordingly? If Lyft is freely giving out all of the information on its drivers locations and such... I dunno. Seems like a weird situation for sure.  

5. Re: On Overwatch Smurfing and Loss Streaks Apr 13, 2017, 11:48 descender

Had a long rough night at work last night (LEO)

Are... are you an astronaut?

News Comments > etc.
31. Re: On Overwatch Smurfing and Loss Streaks Apr 13, 2017, 11:47 descender

Somebody in Bangladesh without a pot to piss in downloads a cracked game, and the publisher is taking a real loss? Sorry, I just don't believe that.

It doesn't matter what you believe. You don't get to arbitrarily decide how much profit the dev/pub deserves from their product.

It also doesn't matter if you consider it theft. That is a bullshit argument over semantics to dodge fault for the illegal act you are committing. What copyright law actually states that it protects your ideas from illegal reproduction. You are illegal reproducing a copy of their game and installing it on your computer. You can't deny that what you are doing is illegal no matter how you define it.

When people start reproducing your creative works, maybe you'll understand. That's usually when people like yourself "grow up".

News Comments > Diablo III Necromancer Beta
12. Re: On Overwatch Smurfing and Loss Streaks Apr 13, 2017, 11:24 descender

its almost uniformly from people who've never given it more than a few hours of playtime, which is a real shame

And you see D3 get hated on by people who have not played D3 for a minute and complain about things that were patched out 2+ years ago. At least most people should have downloaded and checked out PoE by now and should have some basic opinion of it. The problem there is that... If it takes hours for your game to get good... your game probably sucks. :p It may be the most complex rewarding blah blah blah ARPG out there, but if it's not fun when I start playing then I'm not waiting around to see if it gets good 30+ hours later.

PoE could do a lot to help themselves (and maybe the new expansion will do that) by making the first dozen hours of the game not be so fucking awful.

Nothing about playing D3 is "turning off your brain" and this "look at how hardcore I am" act with the PoE crowd is just weird. The actual gameplay and combat are practically identical between the two games, aside from D3's being way more fluid and pleasing to look at. There is nothing innately impressive about the skill tree in PoE, and the game allows for respeccing so there is practically zero difference between that and the way D3 handles builds except for tedium and time.

There isn't a single feature in PoE that actually makes the game more fun to play than any other generic ARPG other than the price tag. If you want a game that looks and plays great, you get D3 or Grim Dawn... if you want a game that plays like it should be free and is filled with unnecessarily complicated systems for socketing/crafting/leveling then you get PoE. There's no reason to overstate any other actual differences between them.

If PoE was $60 then I highly doubt we'd have as many people defending its extremely rough edges.

This comment was edited on Apr 13, 2017, 11:38.

News Comments > etc.
26. Re: On Overwatch Smurfing and Loss Streaks Apr 13, 2017, 10:46 descender

Copyright law protects against the theft of an idea and makes it illegal to reproduce other people's ideas. It's completely different than theft of services or product. The original copyright holder is losing the ability to reproduce and sell their own idea when you "steal it". It's still theft, just not as you are willing to admit it.  

News Comments > On Overwatch Smurfing and Loss Streaks
12. Re: On Overwatch Smurfing and Loss Streaks Apr 13, 2017, 10:41 descender

They usually use it to play characters other than their "main" so that they don't lose rank on their main account.

So they pay twice as much for a game because of a fake ranking... because they are morons.

2426 Comments. 122 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo