Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for descender

Real Name descender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/id/descender
Signed On Feb 24, 2011, 19:58
Total Comments 1925 (Pro)
User ID 56185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2016, 12:54 descender

I'd argue that the really important inventions are the refrigerator and toilet paper.

"Changed the way we live" is not really a contest. TP probably does not belong on that list... as important as it may be to our comfort level :p

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 4, 2016, 10:32 descender

I highly recommend using ninite pro for silent deployment of things like Java, Reader, etc... that need to be frequently updated. Though if you are struggling with updating Java I imagine there are other parts of your management platform that should be upgraded. :p  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 4, 2016, 10:26 descender

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet"

Just the true things, right? /s

They have found that hugging a dog raises it's anxiety levels (measurable). As with most things, all dogs are different. Why would this be internet conspiracy worthy? I thought it was pretty common knowledge that you shouldn't let a child hug a dog.

We used to get 5mg doggy valiums from the vet to get through the 4th without the dog drooling his own swimming pool in the house.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2016, 19:18 descender

I think the right lane pretty clearly ends there, so she was the one merging. She didn't look left once as the lane she was driving in ended. That's awful. It didn't matter if there was a motorcycle or a semi truck there, she was going to hit it if they weren't watching her.

This is not sitting in traffic though, which is where 1:1 merging needs to be observed. Also the "being ahead" merge rules shouldn't apply either.

If your lane is ending, you yield.

I think she either did the old "I'm not even going to look at you as I knowingly cut you off" move that is oh so popular... or just always drives with her head up her ass. Either way... Fuck both of "those" people.

I think the motorcycle rider saw it coming and could have reacted very differently. While he has the right to be pissed at her, he could have avoided one dangerous situation and instead he simply created a new one by staying in the lane.

GTA teaches a valuable lesson, if you are on a bike you are going to lose. :p Always play defense.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2016, 14:16 descender

Why are they subscribing to the CBS TV service to watch the new ST movie? Is the WoT show going to be on CBS?

I'm so confused.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2016, 13:47 descender

My faith for the new ST movie lies entirely on Simon Pegg writing it... him being a huge ST nerd and basically not allowing it to become the fan-service knockoff that ST:ED was.  

News Comments > G2A Planning Changes
37. Re: G2A Planning Changes Jun 28, 2016, 13:23 descender

transferring data from a data center

Cutter, it has literally nothing to do with "sending data from one country to another". Utilities, rent, internet, labor... those are the things that are cheaper in other countries that make datacenters cheaper to operate. It's simply cheaper to operate elsewhere, for the same reasons any business moves their business operations out of the US. This is what allows Steam to give publishers/devs the option to do regional pricing without going out of business. They aren't delivering data from the US to the datacenter in other countries, it's being housed and distributed from those other countries DC's!

If it cost Valve the same amount of money to operate in other countries, they would simply have never allowed regional pricing to begin with.

29. Re: G2A Planning Changes Jun 28, 2016, 12:53 descender

Savings are not always passed off to the consumer, sometimes they are just profits. A dev house in Russia would have no incentive to sell you a game for a lower price because the cost of doing business in the US is higher than in Russia. I bet you they sell their games cheaper in Russia though, just like Valve is allowing US pubs/devs to do.

This comment was edited on Jun 28, 2016, 13:00.

27. Re: G2A Planning Changes Jun 28, 2016, 12:51 descender

Data center pricing has nothing to do with the cost of running a data center? And it doesn't influence the pricing of things hosted in that data center?! My boss will be thrilled!

In all seriousness... Valve can allow lower prices in regions where it is cheaper to operate, and then it gives the devs/publishers the option to do so in order to sell more units. The cost of doing business in an area absolutely influences prices in that area.

Some dots are apparently harder to connect than others.

25. Re: G2A Planning Changes Jun 28, 2016, 12:43 descender

I'd be a lot nicer if this was the first time we'd had this conversation around here... this week...

EDIT: To some of you...

23. Re: G2A Planning Changes Jun 28, 2016, 12:38 descender

Care to show us some figures?

No, I don't.

Why is it that you think jobs move "offshore"? Why are there exchange rates for currencies? Because things like labor are cheaper in other countries, which is why they have no purchasing power, which is why they need lower regional pricing... connect the dots.

Don't "rolleyes" at me if you don't understand basic economic concepts you should have learned in HS.

22. Re: G2A Planning Changes Jun 28, 2016, 12:35 descender

Except most games are region-locked now so that's not actually true.

Except for this not being true, you are totally right!

They have removed a lot (nearly all) of the region locking restrictions, and the ones that are still locked seem to "unlock" after 3 months anyway. The mere existence of G2A pretty much proves that most games are not actively region locked anymore.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2016, 12:32 descender

Not only that but mine crashed like crazy when trying to use the command line to turn up the resolution. Steam comes with an outdated version of GLQuake.exe for some reason. (in vanilla you have to type +mlook in the console to turn it on, the others have it in the menu).

There are a bunch of 3rd party packages that replace the .exe and add tons of menu options.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=118401000

This guide lists a bunch of them, I used quakespasm and it got me up and running at 1080p.

What has aged well is the gameplay, just as frantic and awesome as ever. I was supremely pissed that I couldn't still find all of the secret areas in the first few maps though.

18. Re: G2A Planning Changes Jun 28, 2016, 12:27 descender

Reasons like "it costs more in the US"? Yeah.

Basic economics seems to be totally lost on a bunch of you.

16. Re: G2A Planning Changes Jun 28, 2016, 12:12 descender

This is a nice change for the devs, but Valve is still footing the bill for hosting and delivering all of the content and patching and storefront etc...

Steam deserves their cut too... and we have a lot of people seemingly OK with stealing that from them by using services like G2A.

14. Re: G2A Planning Changes Jun 28, 2016, 12:03 descender

Valve did not invent "regional pricing"... Rolleyes and they had the regions locked down until people started complaining about trading between them (which I do not think they should have accommodated at all). They also don't force publishers/developers to implement regional pricing, that is up to them. (thanks Slashman for reminding me).

The results of complaining about or taking advantage of the regional pricing are not going to be cheaper prices. The result will be going back to region locking and the total elimination of services like G2A.

So when he says it's "Steam's fault anyway" he's technically right... but the resolution won't be the cheaper prices he wants.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 28, 2016, 11:36 descender

I wonder if this will open up more suits, he definitely isn't the only player that has refused their use of his likeness and then they essentially made a similar player in the game anyway. Bonds stands out in my mind as missing from the MVP series, but there was absolutely a giant white dude on the Giants pretending to be Bonds.  

11. Re: G2A Planning Changes Jun 28, 2016, 11:31 descender

You idiots calling for an end to regional pricing don't seem to understand that the "fix" is locking you out of buying or using keys from other regions... it isn't "lower prices". Dumb dumb dumb.

It makes no sense on the internet, where one IP address is much like another.

It actually makes perfect sense. Do you think running datacenters for content delivery in those countries costs the same amount that it does to run one in the US? When given the option of barely selling any games for full price in a region that cannot afford it vs selling some games for a slightly lower price... literally no one would choose option A.

Valve is literally allowing you greedy fucks to take advantage of regional pricing when you shouldn't be able to... and you are bashing them for it. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Jun 28, 2016, 11:23 descender

Use Winauth.

You don't need a mobile device OR the Steam app at all to do 2-factor authentication with Steam.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 28, 2016, 10:49 descender

I have to agree with ventry, my company monitors hundreds of computers and not a single one of them has "automatically" updated itself without user interaction. Not all of them are on domains with GPO's blocking it either. I can absolutely find the event log entry where you clicked the button that allowed it to happen though.

Users are always wrong or lying or both. Always.

If it switched from Doom to some other window, hijacking my inputs, then that's absolutely Microsoft's fault.

This highlights exactly how (incorrectly) a user thinks windows works. You accepted and scheduled that upgrade long before you ever "ran DOOM" and that has absolutely nothing to do with it tabbing you out at the time.

There have been shady and misleading windows, but the existence of stupid users on the internet doesn't disprove the reasons why they are stupid.

1925 Comments. 97 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo