Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for descender

Real Name descender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/id/descender
Signed On Feb 24, 2011, 19:58
Total Comments 1984 (Pro)
User ID 56185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
16. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Aug 1, 2016, 18:27 descender

It is certainly dragging behind the times, but this is unfortunately how big business operates. They probably couldn't test and deploy something fast enough if they wanted to. I'm kind of surprised that they haven't moved to a similar system to the way that Paypal and the app stores/online wallets authenticate your purchases. Sending out card numbers to random merchants on the internet is just... bad... any way you shake it :p At least centralize things a little bit.

If you don't offer at least one 2-factor option for authentication by now then you really aren't being serious about online security in any way.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 1, 2016, 17:49 descender

Tried watching one of the live LateShows through their site last week because my DVR ate it... it's an ad-riddled disaster and it even loads video ads mid-stream OVER the fucking video player that aren't controlled by the volume slider. Couldn't skip ahead to the part I left off at without watching 5 ads first and one of the commercial breaks had 4 ads, a 30 second music clip of the band... and then another 4 ads.

Would never use again unless shot at. ,.|.. CBS.

News Comments > More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney
234. Re: Windows 7 is FINE Aug 1, 2016, 14:07 descender

The reason windows needs constant updates is because security is like a leaky boat. People keep finding new ways to poke holes in it and you have to keep finding ways to plug them. You can't just "magic wand" a completely secure piece of software. So when he asked "what security threat is there that is addressed by upgrading to windows 10" the answer is definitely not "MS will keep breaking your shit anyway". The answer is "we don't really know today, but it is more likely to be patched and secured on the newer operating system than the old one". Windows 10 has updated numerous underlying systems that completely change the methods hackers have to use to breach the system. Using Windows 7 is like leaving a lock on your front door that you have let lock-pickers study for 8 years.

Now please go back to your minimum wage desktop support job.

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 2016, 14:13.

232. Re: Windows 7 is FINE Aug 1, 2016, 14:04 descender

Do you have the slightest clue what you are even saying? No one here is impressed by your half-assed google skills. "Adding features" is just about the last reason Windows needs constant security updates. That just simply isn't how it works.

You have been cluttering up these threads with your batshit IT advice for weeks now and it absolutely astounds me that someone would pay you to pretend to know the things you think you know.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2016, 14:02 descender

If you haven't, the latest WU diagcab is really, really good and clears up almost all issues in one shot. /shrug  

230. Re: Windows 7 is FINE Aug 1, 2016, 13:56 descender

Microsoft will continually add more security features that will break things and require more patches ad nauseum.

Then the answer was no, you do not understand security at all.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
10. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Aug 1, 2016, 01:45 descender

The magnetic strips contain the static payment info of your card and can be stolen with skimmers. This can't be done with the chip cards.

It has nothing to do with online transactions.

223. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 31, 2016, 18:52 descender

Are you running your 2GB instance of Firefox in background when running your average AAA title? If you are, that would not make you too bright.

Don't know how memory management works? lol

Hilarious seeing some start to come around now that they are actually touching and using 10 instead of just heresay... fuckers.

178. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 28, 2016, 15:27 descender

Meh... There is absolutely no reason to turn off Cortana in the first place, especially if you aren't logged in to a MS account.  

News Comments > Diablo III Patch Details
6. Re: Diablo III Patch Details Jul 28, 2016, 13:32 descender

hey are clearly without any real incentive to do anything with the game

What incentive should they have? They sold 30-40million copies of the game and it's 4 years old. It's over. It has gone as far as it is going to, and they will now start developing Diablo 4. There will be some minor content patches like this where they tweak out a few variables for the hardcore crowd... but that's it.

There is no interest or incentive for a developer to make games that you'll keep playing for ever without a subscription model. They never designed or intended D2 to be played for as long as it was either, and they stopped developing for D2 after basically 2 years. They've already spent twice that amount of expanding D3 from it's launch state.

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Jul 28, 2016, 13:20 descender

2 dreams ruined. THANKS BLUE!

Hehe, I don't actually expect or attempt to solve it. I just pick it up and spin things around for 5 minutes as a stress reliever/distraction.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 27, 2016, 13:42 descender

Fractional reserve banking is a banking system in which only a fraction of bank deposits are backed by actual cash on hand and are available for withdrawal. This is done to expand the economy by freeing up capital that can be loaned out to other parties.

Always operating under the assumption that there will be more of it at some point is kind of like creating money.

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Jul 27, 2016, 12:57 descender

I have a cube on my desk at home that I've been randomly picking up and erm... "solving" for about 17 years now.

I'll get it eventually. Probably. But it will be immensely satisfying when it happens.

68. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 26, 2016, 14:19 descender

There is nothing within five conceptual miles of "walled garden" that has a meaningful upside.

He says... while presumably standing within a BUILDING. lol...

57. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 26, 2016, 13:28 descender

I don't see websites only working on Edge browsers

To be fair there is currently some "feature exclusivity" to Edge. It is currently the only way to stream 5.1 audio sources from Netflix/HBOGO/etc. I've also noticed that the CMSS 3D options on my Creative software also only work on audio streams coming from Edge, but I feel like Chrome/Firefox didn't pick up the 3D sound filter in W7 either.

Carry on. Or stop carrying on... whatever you guys want to do :p

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 26, 2016, 13:24 descender

I'm kind of astounded at the age range of people that seem to be playing PGO. I've seen people as old as ~65 wandering around playing it.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2016, 10:11 descender

Ford, best known for playing CSO Jack Stanfield in the 2006 cyber-thriller Firewall

What?

5. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 26, 2016, 10:09 descender

Does Sweeney not remember that MS already lost this anti-competition battle in court decades ago with Netscape... why would they repeat the same mistake and lose the same stupid lawsuit based on the precedent that they set?

I appreciate his concerns for the industry, but these statements reek of fear-mongering more than a well thought out vision of MS's UWP attack plan.

UWP has to be easier and cheaper for developers, and more convenient and more functional than Steam for consumers before anyone is ever going to seriously develop for or purchase things from it. THEN they can start trying to kill off Steam through whatever Tim thinks is actually possible here. We have a long way to go for that before any of these fears could even possibly be realized.

When Sweeney/Epic actually take a significant financial step in any direction to protect themselves from MS/W10 then I'll believe he is taking his own concerns seriously. Until then... I don't know what he's getting on about really.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
15. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 25, 2016, 17:21 descender

Well, now I am certain you don't know how any of this works.

Magnet/torrent links have to be embedded on an actual website before google can find them.

Magnet links themselves don't rely on "a website" to function, but finding them absolutely does.

21. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 22, 2016, 18:07 descender

The Netflix windows store app is also basically the only way to get 5.1 surround sound (your choices are the store app or edge)...

Better quality video and audio... What a shit app! :p

1984 Comments. 100 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo