Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for descender

Real Name descender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/id/descender
Signed On Feb 24, 2011, 19:58
Total Comments 2243 (Senior)
User ID 56185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2017, 13:15 descender

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2017, 12:43 descender

He already basically is 'the best' by any metrics, it's only easier to make excuses and arguments against him before he wins again. I don't really like that "winning the superbowl" has so much of an influence on a QB's legacy... but that is just the way it is with sports.

I hate Brady more than anyone else here
Now this is a discussion worth having! I currently live in RI so I hate him closer than you do! I get to remind people weekly about ugg boots and deflated balls :p Unfortunately, they get to remind me that I'm a Jets fan.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2017, 12:05 descender

I feel like Brady is hard to analyze historically against other QB's because the system he has been in has always been so sound. It's the only factor we can't eliminate because Matt Cassell was able to step in and not skip a beat for his time... so we know the system is strong. :p

Manning was the epitome of what a quarterback can be, IM, partly because I didn't get to watch a lot of Marino I imagine. You could take him out of his team and put him on any other team and they are instantly better. Brady excels at reading defenses but mechanically I feel like he has always been a bit behind the other elite QB's of this era.

I've always felt that Rodgers is much more like Manning than Brady, but this was the first season Rodgers led the league in TD's and has never led in yards. Rodgers has a looooong way to go before he enters the conversation of "greatest ever".

News Comments > Out of the Blue
55. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2017, 11:37 descender

You posted that the immigration bans were the same, they aren't. You made the assumptions about the refugee program being untrustworthy. You decided to turn "this ban is different than that ban" into "they can't be trusted anyway".

Anyone reading this (or anything else political you've posted) knows that you are anti-immigration. Now you want to try to pretend like that isn't you? LOL... you are fucking hilarious.

51. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2017, 11:26 descender

And now my experiences don't matter? You are a treat.

No, I simply don't care why you don't like immigration, because it has nothing to do with this conversation. Your personal experiences policing immigrants have nothing to do with facts about how the refugee program actually works or the details behind the immigration and visa bans.

If I wanted to know how muslim immigrants feel or how they are assimilating after the fact... I still wouldn't ask you. I'd ask a DHS employee that actually deals with refugees and not just people they assume are refugees because they look and speak funny.

48. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2017, 11:10 descender

I love how you have to treat everyone as if they are "shouting" and "foaming" just because you can't or won't answer any of the questions actually being posed.

but I guarantee I have access to, experience with, contact with, and direct knowledge with no less than thousands of immigrants from several communities to, what, your online articles you read?
Your anecdotal personal experience has absolutely nothing to do with this conversation. Maybe you can explain to me what your personal sample size has to do with what the actual immigration policies were, or what the actual refugee resettlement details are? I don't care why you don't like immigrants, that is an opinion you can keep to yourself.

because I am not of the like minded hive you come from, my views don't matter right?
No, but your views are hard to take seriously because you don't check your sources to see if they are accurate before you repeat them to other people. When you constantly put your personal beliefs and experiences ahead of demonstrable facts in conversations. It has nothing to do with left or right, it has everything to do with separating facts from opinions and using them honestly in a conversation.

It is your opinion that Obama and Trump "both banned muslims". It is a fact that Obama banned new visa applications and Trump banned all visa applications, current visa holder's and current green card holders. This isn't up for debate, stop trying to change the topic to "how bad immigrants are".

46. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2017, 11:02 descender

Which makes more sense to you as the "terrorist organization trying to infiltrate the US"...

Having tens of thousands of potential terrorists apply for resettlement programs in the hopes that a small percentage of them get into the program with the hopes that and even smaller percentage of them are accepted for resettlement in the hopes that an even smaller percentage of them actually get resettled to the US (you don't get to choose a country when you apply)... or just go to a country that will give you a visa in a week and let you fly in to the US on any airline?

Why would they go through all of that effort and uncertainty to resettle through the refugee program when next week they could have 100 people in the country on a single flight?

If your issue with immigrants starts with refugees then you should at least be well informed on how the refugee program actually works.

45. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2017, 10:56 descender

Please provide a white list of websites to use as sources and I will gladly pull the same information. Let me guess, Huff Po.

The sources don't matter if you don't ever actually check to see if what the source is saying is accurate. When your flavor of news article says "Obamas orders are the same as Trumps" but the sources they reference and the actual orders don't say actually that, you have to be able to figure that out... and then stop listening to them.

TO Verno's point, go look at the NUMBER of people that came here just last year. There is NO WAY they had an opportunity to check them.

This is just flat out wrong. You can't possibly be more wrong. My previous post shows you the exact numbers and how meaningless they are to the overall population.

It takes over a year and a half MINIMUM to get through the entire process and it involves every security agency in the country. This isn't political, this isn't up for debate, this is a fact. Go read some interviews from people who have actually gone through the process and stop listening to your right-wing fear-mongerers feeding you this insanity about them "sneaking in terrorists" through the refugee program.

If they wanted to sneak terrorists into the US the refugee resettlement program is the absolute last way they would do it. Why would anyone bother going through a years-long process when they could simply come in with visas from other countries like the 9/11 attackers did?

Please keep attacking me and speaking about "my life experience" like you have a fucking clue who I am. Being a cop doesn't make you a special snowflake so stop acting like you're afraid you are going to melt every time someone questions you.

43. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2017, 10:46 descender

We have different views

Yeah, you believe rightwing troll websites and conflate completely different exective orders. And I... don't?

I'm not shouting you down, you are providing bullshit sources and completely misunderstanding how these orders are different... and you are being called out on it. Do better... or maybe don't bother to post half-informed nonsense.

42. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2017, 10:44 descender

There were over 3 million muslims in the US as of 2016. Do you really think that increasing that number by 40k refugees is making a large cultural impact?

How are these relevant numbers of people "to be worried about"?

39. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2017, 10:39 descender

Obama banning new visas and Trump banning all existing visas and green card holders are not remotely the same thing. It doesn't matter how many links you provide to the Obama orders, they aren't the same orders.

Your act is getting old. You do this same thing pretty much any time you are challenged on your bullshit. Grow up.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2017, 10:35 descender

These links copied from your previous link aren't providing any different information. You still aren't understanding what they actually say.

Grow up for fucks sake. Disinformation isn't a game.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2017, 10:31 descender

No one is sayting they are making it up, we are saying that you don't understand (or aren't paying attention to) what you are reading and your source is slanted.

"It was the first google result" is the new "my dog ate my homework". It's your opinion and public perception that you are tarnishing by being lazy with your sources, not mine.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2017, 10:25 descender

The Washington Examiner? Strike two? Laugh

Everyone loves to play the cynic, but it's painfully obvious when you are just repeating headlines and don't understand the topic you are talking about. Obama's previous restrictions on visa's and Trump's current ban on all entry from these countries are not even remotely similar. There is no hypocrisy, just your inability to discern a proper source of news.

You don't have to claim a team when you are making excuses for one side constantly.

@Mr.Tact - I wholeheartedly disagree that "they are all the same". We've never really experienced anything like Trump or "President Bannon" in this country, at least not as we understand them so far. The major difference here is that Hillary would have only had whiny republican politicians upset over the things she wanted to do, and Trump has the majority of the American public against him.

Dismissing Washington entirely as "they're all the same" will never ever result in positive action or resolution. The major political parties couldn't be more different in the ethics, scope and types of change they wish to inflict on US citizens.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
6. Re: 25M Overwatch Players Jan 29, 2017, 13:08 descender

The more I live the more I have to accept that that either time travel is either impossible or you can't influence your own timeline. Sad times.

This comment was edited on Jan 29, 2017, 13:19.

45. Re: 25M Overwatch Players Jan 28, 2017, 14:54 descender

There is always a fine line between expressing and shouting. If I'm past that, it's not my intention and I apologize. JD brings a lot to the table so there is a lot to respond to

In the end, we all wanted TFA to be better.

Don't come in here 20 posts after the fact and tell me to stop talking with other people. Be part of the conversation, or don't. Stop with the childish name-calling and "get a girlfriend" jokes. It was perfectly civil here until you opened your mouth Redmask.

What is with people trying to suppress conversations they aren't forced to be involved in?

41. Re: 25M Overwatch Players Jan 28, 2017, 12:57 descender

It is a matter of opinion, there is no black and white here.

Absolutely. I'm merely trying to highlight the hypocrisy in the points he is making and his inability to single out AHN from the rest of the trilogy. I fully admit there are issues with both movies. It isn't a contest, they aren't competing against each other. There is just no sense in pretending that ANH was something it wasn't. JD is obsessed with directly comparing plot points because in his mind he has already boiled the stories down into the same exact structure. Just because some themes match up between the movies doesn't mean that all of them are directly comparable.

I think people would be extremely enlightened to read some of the original reviews of Star Wars before Empire came out that compared it to Flash Gordon and see a lot of their points repeated back at them. Stylish and charming, lacking substance and plausibility.

If 2 more movies come out and we still don't have explanations for Rey/Maz/etc... then I will be extremely disappointed. Until then I see no reason to hold unrevealed information against the movie.

40. Re: 25M Overwatch Players Jan 28, 2017, 12:37 descender

What is more obnoxious, people having a perfectly civil conversation or the asshole whining about it?

Do we have to submit all topics to Redmask for approval? Get fucked :p I can't believe you wasted so much time telling me how to spend my own time.

Does someone have to explain to you how opinions and conversations actually work, or do you think you can figure this out on your own?

News Comments > Valve vs Team Fortress 2 Gambling
6. Re: 25M Overwatch Players Jan 28, 2017, 11:58 descender

Of course they "have to care"... they are inadvertently running an interstate possibly international gambling ring. Gambling is illegal in many places (as it should be) and they could be forced to close online operations in certain states just like daily fantasy sports.  

37. Re: 25M Overwatch Players Jan 28, 2017, 11:37 descender

"The plot moves forward because it must" must be the most meaningless phrase in movie reviewing history. It's a fucking plot, it has plot devices that push it forward. Literally, every movie has this. The only difference is which ones you have arbitrarily decided were acceptable.

Luke's aunt/uncle dying while he was gone the same day R2/C3PO happened to show up and Ben happened to be following Luke in the desert to save him from the Jawas? Convenient plot devices galore.

Cleaning a droid and pressing an external button uncovered a "hidden" message? Hidden to everyone who doesn't accidentally bump into that button? Convenient.

Obiwan having the lightsaber doesn't make sense for any of the reasons he gives Luke. He carried it around for 30 years so that he could lie about who's it was and where it came from when finally given the chance? Even if his intention was to eventually train Luke... Jedi construct their own lightsabers as part of their training. You don't just hand a noob a fucking lasersword unless you want limbs lost :p

R2/C3PO even landing within miles of Ben's hidden desert bungalow in the first place? Convenient plot device.

The empire even letting the droids escape in the pod in the first place because... they were lazy? No signs of life?! What horrible technology do you have in your escape pods that you can't see there are droids inside it? In the middle of likely the biggest data breach in the history of the Empire? Super convenient.

The death star has to orbit around Yavin IV so that it can destroy... it's moon? The death star is designed to blow up planets! They even show it doing so. All they have to do is shoot the planet and the moon will float off into the abyss! Gee, isn't that a super time saving convenient plot device giving the rebels enough time to make their impossible attack with 30 ships!

Rey defeating Kylo Ren at the end of the movie? There is nothing that established Kylo as any sort of badass sword fighting warrior in the movie, so why should he be unbeatable? He was clearly showboating and got caught off-guard which is exactly what always happens with a character exhibiting excessive pride and hubris... they lose to someone they shouldn't.

Stop bringing up things we don't know the answer to yet from TFA and comparing them to things you got answers to in Empire and ROTJ. Verno's point of not directly comparing plot points between the movie also stands. Finn/Poe escaping and Han/Luke/Leia/Chewy (everyone always leaves out the bacca) escaping have nothing to do with each other. Obviously they escaped for different reasons, it's a different story.

When Maz says "that's a story for another time" I expect to be told that story, you guys act like there is no story and never will be. It wasn't just laying there, she touched it and walked out of the room without anyone saying something. There is obviously a reason. It used to be that "the force" was enough of a reason to explain away coincidence... until they made a female protagonist :p Qui-Gon even said the words out loud... Now suddenly everything has to be grounded in reality.

I can bring up another pile of plot holes from Empire and ROTJ if you really want... but I would prefer that you just treat this conversation honestly instead of droning on about things that took 3 movies to explain.

This comment was edited on Jan 28, 2017, 12:01.

2243 Comments. 113 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo