Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for descender

Real Name descender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/id/descender
Signed On Feb 24, 2011, 19:58
Total Comments 2249 (Senior)
User ID 56185

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
18. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 28, 2016, 16:29 descender

Since using a mac for work, I've needed almost zero investment of time in just keeping the machines ups and running reliably.

Out of the box, a windows machine works the exact same way, though... so what did you do to it? :p /inserts tongue firmly into cheek
Windows machines don't innately require any more time investment to maintain than a Mac does, unless you break it first.

The reality is, it's probably not luck, it's more being good at avoiding the kinds of things that can surface problems.
I agree, that's most likely the case... but why can't I ever draw a fucking straight when I need it? huh?! Why must I always get river'd by some schmuck with crap hole cards!

When I slid into development I moved to linux because it was just better for what I was doing
What part of "using Linux" is forcing you to purchase overpriced Mac hardware to do so? I don't really follow that line of thinking. It would seem that you could have dual-booted linux on your existing gaming rig and saved yourself the entirety of your MBP purchase? Or purchased another laptop with the same hardware specs but without the markup for the logo?

The only argument that holds water for buying a Mac, IMO, is that you use a piece of software that only exists and runs on IOS. Outside of that it seems like a poor investment.

edit: I do see your other post, you specifically need to develop on a linux laptop?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
43. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2016, 16:06 descender

Dairy (meaning Cow's milk, I have no idea why eggs are lumped in with this garbage) is the last thing I'm worried about saving as it's the last thing any human should be worried about ingesting.

I feel like you're still missing my main point here (which i'll admit isn't coming out very clearly). How are you going to replace and replenish the topsoil that we are currently destroying by farming too much land too often? Usable farmland is drying up (literally in some cases) by the day and it has nothing to do with how much meat we consume.

Short of a mass extinction or population control measures those "sci fi" options are going to be your only option... and these two are actually both real-world solutions already in progress.

These are industrial scale solutions to world-scale problems. How are you going to forcefully change the diet of 7 billion people? You aren't, because no one agrees on what that diet is.

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2016, 16:34.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
13. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 28, 2016, 14:53 descender

Try not to choke on all of that Apple marketing hype :p

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
13. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 28, 2016, 14:46 descender

Sometimes I wonder if I'm wasting all of my luck by having a PC that doesn't shit itself every time it gets updated or turned off. Sometimes... I just want to win a game of poker.

I don't really understand people that come on bragging about all of the problems they have with Windows, as if your level of technical inadequacy is supposed to impress people. Do they really think that it's all just a big lie and every windows computer out there is just crashing all the time?

Have no fear, PEBCAK supports all operating systems and hardware equally.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
12. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 28, 2016, 14:09 descender

No one outside of Nintendo's shareholders really gives a crap about Nintendo's day-to-day stock price, though. Consumer reception is all that matters for a new product launch... because they are the ones that are going to buy it or not. Soccer moms are not checking stock prices while buying Xmas gifts.

Those same moron investors caused a $7bil market correction once Nintendo announced that they didn't actually develop Pokemon Go and only owned a 32% share in any Pokemon properties in the first place... so I'm not terribly worried about their initial reaction to something they obviously don't take any time to understand properly.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 28, 2016, 10:10 descender

And don't get me wrong, I'd much rather have a 40" display too... but I don't have a 4 foot deep desk or the desire to turn my head :p  

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 28, 2016, 09:34 descender

Most people sit pretty close to their monitor. At ~18inches on a 20" display, you can see better than a 4k resolution according to the charts.  

37. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2016, 08:46 descender

You fundamentally don't understand how meat production works.
No, you fundamentally missed the entire point of my post.

I didn't say that meat was more efficient to grow than plants, I said that you can't have one without the other and that growing crops for everyone would take up more land than we currently possess on this planet... neither of which you seem to be debating.

It doesn't matter if meat is "less efficient" to produce, switching to all plant diets isn't an answer. You simply can't grow enough plants without the cattle to fertilize it or the land to grow it on. It currently takes 1 acre of land to feed 1 person, and that is WITH current levels of meat consumption. There are only 7 billion arable acres of land on this planet. Do the math, something obviously has to change but it can't simply be "farm more". Just increasing the efficiency of the farm to table delivery line and cutting down on the desire to eat "pretty" vegetables could nearly double the number of people we can feed with current systems without growing or raising a single extra plant or animal.

The way you have broken it down there is a pretty misleading way to look at nutrition in general. 1kg of beef and 1kg of wheat/soybeans are not nutritionally equivalent so they are obviously going to take differing amounts of resources to produce in the first place. We don't even have to get into the specifics of why a particular diet is or is not healthy... we have to change the way we produce foods.

1) We have to create more arable land through vertical farms (as suggested).
2) We need to try to eat less meat and find a better way to produce it (lab-grown, as suggested).
3) We need to allow cattle to graze the farmlands on rotations, further increasing the need for more arable land. We are literally running out of topsoil and if we stop raising cattle for slaughter we aren't going to have enough manure to create the fertalizer to grow the food in the first place.

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2016, 09:18.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2016, 17:49 descender

Do you want your children or grand-children do die gracefully from old age? Or do you want them to starve, or die of thrist?

Industrial-scale farming is eliminating the topsoil around the world and will be causing the exact scenario you just blamed on meats. :p

We can't feed plants to 7billion people, there simply isn't enough earth for that. We actually NEED industrial-scale meat-markets in order to supply the amount of fertilizer required to do industrial-scale farming. It's a double edged sword with no easy answers.

Cutter is right, lab-meat and vertical growhouses are the wave of the future, not blindly promoting one type of food over the other.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2016, 14:37 descender

I don't think expecting to be "blown away" by every episode of a series is healthy. You need to spend some time laying the groundwork for a story or it won't be worth watching in the long run. HBO shows usually do a pretty good job of spacing out the slow episodes. Odd-numbered episodes are always more fun.  

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 27, 2016, 12:24 descender

Anyone using custom windows software or the windows RDP client on a regular basis needs to be careful with the high-resolution Surface screens. They are a nightmare for programs with font sizes that won't scale with windows.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2016, 10:38 descender

I've been looking at replacing my S5 with an S7 and I was looking at the edge too (for the bigger battery), but I still don't get the purpose of the curved screen over the flat screen... Yeah, it adds a menu that is also easily added by a pile of apps if you needed more shortcuts for some reason... but doesn't that corner of the screen just end up scratched and worn down from being in pockets/bags/etc? Don't your palms constantly "press" the edge? Between my huge hands and my need for an Otterbox case to keep my phone screen alive it just doesn't seem to make much sense.  

News Comments > Mad Max for OS X and Linux
3. Re: Mad Max for OS X and Linux Oct 20, 2016, 12:15 descender

Yeah the ending of the story was just shit.

I was entertained by the game, but the pacing was just terrible. I had all of the Max upgrades before I left the first area and the game just felt like a chore clearing the rest. There was a lot of busy work to be done in each area, but they were completely devoid of any interesting storylines or anything memorable at all really. The combat didn't really change at all after the first hour or so which didn't help.

News Comments > Darksiders: Warmastered Edition Next Month
7. Re: Darksiders: Warmastered Edition Next Month Oct 19, 2016, 11:47 descender

60 FPS in moment to moment gameplay (PS4, Xbox One, PC, 30 for WiiU)

What the hell do these words even mean? It sometimes runs at 60FPS? But only between fights or something?

I really liked this game, but this is now the 3rd or 4th "edition" of it. Enough is enough.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 19, 2016, 08:33 descender

according to multiple FBI sources, the Wikileaks evidence is absolutely damning in every single respect
If it was "damning" in any way they would actually prosecute her just like they've been failing to do for 30 years.
how come nobody is outraged that she has corrupted the FBI?
Do you realize the FBI director is a republican? Of course you don't.
Meanwhile, Hillary has driven dozens of Secret Service agents off their job by being intolerable
Being "intolerable" = not illegal. Trumps rape and molestation = illegal. These are facts.
Hillary is importing thousands of unvetted Syrians
No, this is literally NOT how thie refugee program works, at all. They are vetted for almost 2 years and a majority of them are women and children. Facts.
directly resulted in the Orlando gay club shooting
Whoa, you missed the deep end of the pool by a mile. This laughably absurd and wrong. The secretary of state doesn't control the "FBI training manuals" but hey... facts.
bragging about the Iran "deal", which easily gives them a nuclear bomb.
Again, not how this deal works. This deal stops them from having a bomb TODAY and derails their programs for over a decade.
will forever change this country into a banana republic
Cute. Do you have any idea what that term is used for? Hint: When a politician threatens to put his political opponent in jail on national television... it's not the person being threatened that wants to run a "banana republic".
I didn't come from the Soviet Union to experience the Soviet-style state media brainwashing completely eat away the brains of half of America.
You are the one pining for a bigoted despot to lead this country. Remove head from ass, reapply thought. But it does make more sense that you are not actually from this country.
Sure, Trump understands negotiation about 10x better
Yeah, he expertly negotiated all of his bankruptcies. Except he probably had lawyers do that too. Trump is a charlatan in purest form. He builds nothing, He creates nothing. He just slaps his name on things and takes credit for them. Hillary has actually negotiated peace deals with foreign superpowers, Trump has actually just run companies into the ground.
he is actually patriotic and far less corrupt
Not paying taxes for 20 years is super patriotic. Oh but we can't even see those taxes because he's so "not corrupt" that he's been audited for 20 years straight, refuses to pay laborers and contrators for the work they perform and is currently being sued by like 15-20 different people. Yep, not corrupt at all.
sure he can identify our enemies
Trump's campaign has made American minorities the "enemy".

Fuck off dude. "You know who you are" and you are full of shit. Go crawl back up Roger Ailes butthole with the rest of the cancer.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 18, 2016, 16:45 descender

Soros spends like $15mil and you freak out. Koch bros spend $250mil and... you vote with them.

Idiot.

You are right though, the "fix" is in. The "fix" was making Trump your nominee.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 18, 2016, 13:38 descender

California isn't too keen on free speech

Today you learned that free speech does not mean freedom from criticism.

I wonder aloud why so many "conservatives" are blatantly ignorant about what our Bill of Rights actually mean.

News Comments > Valve on Illegal Skin Gambling
6. Re: Valve on Illegal Skin Gambling Oct 18, 2016, 11:54 descender

People always love to blame Valve's for some reason... you could also "gamble" exactly like this in literally any other game that allows in-game item trading. It's not their fault that people use their in-game trading system for things like this. They could use CS:GO skins to barter for hookers on craigslist if they really wanted to and Valve would still not be to blame.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 18, 2016, 10:27 descender

Just wait till you see

We keep waiting... but they keep releasing intra-campaign gossip instead. I wonder if that's because they don't have a shred of prosecutable evidence for anything? Assange has been trolling you guys along for months now and you keep lapping it up. "It's coming! It's coming! Buy my book while you wait!". Mhmmmm....

Lest we forget that Assange is not hiding in that embassy because of Wikileaks and fear from government actors (a la Snowden). he's hiding there because of rape and molestation charges in Sweden. What a guy!

This comment was edited on Oct 18, 2016, 10:35.

News Comments > Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced for Consoles
6. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced for Consoles Oct 18, 2016, 10:25 descender

Don't see how this surprises anyone, they are quite accustomed to releasing their games twice now. RDR2 PC will be a year after the console release, which probably won't be until spring 2018... so maybe we'll get to play this in 3 years?  

2249 Comments. 113 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo