Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for descender

Real Name descender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/id/descender
Signed On Feb 24, 2011, 19:58
Total Comments 1984 (Pro)
User ID 56185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Rocket League Adding Rumble Mode
6. Re: Rocket League Adding Rumble Mode Aug 8, 2016, 14:30 descender

A year ago you would have said the same thing about mutators or the hockey and basketball modes.

Rocket LeagueŽ Rumble is just the beginning of a much bigger update planned for September.

There is plenty of reason for optimism here. They've now introduced item pickups, is it really that big of a stretch to make those items hit other players instead of the ball? 5 of those 11 items already affect the other players.

It's still a game about scoring goals, so if you're spending all your time harassing the other cars, you're probably not helping with that very much.
Have you played Mario Strikers? That gameplay would fit perfectly into RL.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Rocket League Adding Rumble Mode
4. Re: Rocket League Adding Rumble Mode Aug 8, 2016, 12:12 descender

I love everything about this. It has a very Mario Kart/Strikers feel to it.

If they bring back something akin to the old mariokart style battlemodes that Nintendo abandoned I may play RL forever.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 4, 2016, 16:38 descender

That 3Bil certainly seems high. I have to admit that the China opening ceremony rekindled my interest in seeing them at all, and the new stuff they've been doing with the digital projectors is pretty nuts. The Russia opener was like watching fantasia in real life.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
15. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 4, 2016, 16:17 descender

That isn't even a "lexicon" definition. The OED definition of apartheid is very specifically "segregation based on race". It's not a word that can accurately be applied to mere segregation based on random other factors.  

News Comments > More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney
269. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Aug 4, 2016, 15:45 descender

This "exploit" (which requires use of IE or EDGE which narrows the scope) doesn't even actually leak your MS account name. It only leaks the internal windows username/domain/password hash, which is basically the first 5 letters of your email followed by "_000". If you come across a machine that is linked to a MS account you'll see this reflected in c:\users\usern_000 instead of c:\users\username@user.com so it doesn't even (seemingly anyway) spit out a useful MS account that someone could log in to.

One would think leaking VPN credentials is a pretty serious problem. I'm not talking about the "I use a VPN to download torrents" kind which yes... who cares if anyone gets that... but corporate VPN credentials could be infinitely valuable to the right person.

It must not be that big of a deal since MS hasn't lifted a finger on this bug in 20 years.

News Comments > Into the Black
19. Re: Please stop using Videosift. Aug 4, 2016, 11:31 descender

I am not the one that started this conversation and don't appreciate the blame. My posts were completely benign and while I have questioned why you use those links in the past it isn't my fault if other people also continue to question it.

I thought we were here to have discussions... like the merits of using a curating service that like 20 people vote on... but that is your choice and I am free to wonder aloud why someone would do so.

17. Re: Into the Black Aug 4, 2016, 10:54 descender

Are you going to follow me around and provide color commentary for all of my discussions now? Flattered, but unnecessary.

edit back on topic: /r/videos drives every bit of content that appears on an aggregation site like videosift.

15. Re: Please stop using Videosift. Aug 4, 2016, 10:34 descender

Blue... did you not read the sentence literally right before the one you quoted?

I'm not saying that Ant (or anyone else) should stop submitting them, just saying that the claims below that the site is doing something useful and deserves the click-through traffic are unwarranted.

I'm only talking about why videosift as a "service" is pointless and questioning why anyone uses it at all. I don't care who sent you this link or if you found it yourself, and I'm not blaming you for anything. If you actually use it to find stuff that's great, I just don't understand why :p

13. Re: Please stop using Videosift. Aug 4, 2016, 09:38 descender

The "trending" tab on Youtube doesn't actually have anything to do with your filterbubble (you were probably thinking of the "recommended" section), but I get your point.

Videosift isn't really "sifting" and then spitting out good videos that people are then finding and linking to. It has far too small of a user-base for that. With so little foottraffic to videosift the reddit style up/down voting of videos doesn't really work... Unless I'm really reading things wrong, less than a dozen people vote on most videosift submissions... so only the submitters control what is "popular" on videosift through their own link-sharing.

I'm not saying that Ant (or anyone else) should stop submitting them, just saying that the claims below that the site is doing something useful and deserves the click-through traffic are unwarranted. It is unlikely that the "video" was actually found on Videosift in the first place.

9. Re: Please stop using Videosift. Aug 4, 2016, 08:53 descender

Top Sifters of the Week
1. Mordhaus 479 votes
2. oritteropo 177 votes
3. ant 169 votes

There is only one reason we get video-sifted to death, and his name is Ant. :p So it seems pretty disingenuous to say that anyone is actually finding anything on videosift and they deserve to be supported "for the convenience". He posts youtube links TO videosift and then sends Blue the videosift link.

I don't really get the purpose of using videosift in the first place. Youtube already sorts and categorizes popular videos the same way that videosift does, except youtube doesn't drag up old videos from the grave and has a considerably larger audience voting on them.

It seems very hipsterish to me.

This comment was edited on Aug 4, 2016, 09:05.

266. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Aug 4, 2016, 08:07 descender

A 17 year old problem that became relevant in Windows 8 is being blamed on Windows 10.

You do realize that Windows 7 suffers this same exact exploit, right? You don't try very hard, do you.

If you didn't act like the 12-year old "gotcha" troll maybe people would take your advice more seriously.

Something like this does not prove one OS is more secure than another, and it highlights how much you don't know about security and how it has been improved from 7 > 8 -> 10. You are truly a closed-minded individual. You irrationally hate windows 10 and it clouds every post you make.

This comment was edited on Aug 4, 2016, 08:17.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 3, 2016, 14:41 descender

that Brasil-hate is just load of BS

Oh yeah, Brasil is just doing an absolutely amazing job cleaning up the city and streets of Rio. /S Who knew that Rio was such a shithole in almost every aspect imaginable, at least I know I'll never bother to go there on vacation now.

The WC was a cesspool of corruption and bribes and the Olympics are no different.

The US basketball team won't even stay in the provided dorms because they are so run-down and filthy. They are renting a floating petri-dish (read: cruise ship) to house the team instead.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 2, 2016, 14:31 descender

AT&T is the second largest wireless provider, the largest landline provider... just bought the largest satellite TV provider with the most lucrative sports package in media... that sounds desperate to you?  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 2, 2016, 14:05 descender

It does seem a little absurd that "sex offenders" interested in abduction would be attracted to what are now highly visible public places full of people almost guaranteed to be carrying a GPS tracking device and a camera.

I know that these aren't stable people, but that would be a pretty bad plan.

258. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Aug 2, 2016, 09:33 descender

I'm glad you can read MS's schedule. I know exactly how much they will slow down updating 7 now, because they have done the same thing with literally every other operating system.

In the "real world" any corporate XP systems touching the internet in most industries would break compliance regulations and every one of those businesses could be fined or sued. If you don't think this is a real issue then you should be fired yesterday.

You don't seem to be able to separate the corporate, power user and home user (THIS IS THE GROUP THAT SHOULD HAVE UPGRADED) worlds in your head... so I'll just let this end.

This comment was edited on Aug 2, 2016, 09:38.

252. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Aug 1, 2016, 23:39 descender

You said non-internet-facing systems.
No, HE said he had just stopped supporting a Windows 95 machine. I said it must be non-internet because if he had a windows 95 system on the internet he should be fired. The same basically goes for XP at this point.

That's great, you've once again taken your own personal situation and pretended it applies to everyone. Are you upgrading every moms computer out there? The single old women don't get upgrades because they don't have sons? Come on.

Just so happens for most PC users there's no Windows 10 enhancement, new feature, or looming security threat that makes upgrading a must-do proposition.
Please stop repeating yourself, it doesn't make you right. You clearly have no concept of how malware/botnets/DDOS attacks build out their infrastructure and are seemingly complicit in their rooting into every unpatched computer out in the wild. Upgrading is never a must-do situation, it's simply the smart thing to do.

How you feel about the security of your computer doesn't change the fact that you are willfully not using the most secure system available.

How'd that old saying go... "You can lead a horse to water..."

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 2016, 23:51.

249. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Aug 1, 2016, 23:29 descender

shiho wrote on Aug 1, 2016, 23:19:
Corporate systems are behind routers, but they do use the Internet. Home users are also behind routers. They too... use the Internet.

Shocked

Corporate systems that are controlled by a network security policy that can't be altered every time some random employee reads some tinfoil on the internet.

When I said that "regular desktop home users should have upgraded"... why the hell do you guys think I'm talking about you? This isn't about you. I'm talking about your moms. Literally.

247. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Aug 1, 2016, 23:15 descender

Those are not regular end users. Those are corporate non-internet facing systems.

It's not that hard to understand.

W10 and the new Server2016 Core aren't going anywhere any time soon.

A fear and fud campaign is not going to increase W10 uptake.
Nor will it have to. Most sensible people already upgraded and no one cares if you do.

All of 2003 server just went out of Extended Support this month. Companies are either going to have to upgrade or pay MS for custom security patching. This will be the first major server hardware refresh since Server 2000 went out of support in 2010. They actually kind of blew the 2016 release date they should have had it done by now to capture those upgrades better.

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 2016, 23:35.

242. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Aug 1, 2016, 22:35 descender

Corporate customers are the only reason they still support the old operating systems or they would have stopped updating windows 7 years ago. The update schedule will be severely reduced, just like every other version of windows. There is a difference between mainstream support and extended support and by staying on the older OS you are basically playing the security game with half a deck of cards.

You are "free" to run as insecure of a computer as you choose to, and that's the problem MS has been attacking here. They just decided to do it in the most stupid and publicly embarrassing way possible, and now anyone can thrust a half a wit of uncertainty into any discussion.

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 2016, 22:40.

237. Re: Windows 7 is FINE Aug 1, 2016, 19:14 descender

Barring the .5% of super-users that will get by regardless of updates... everyone else absolutely should have upgraded to windows 10 for free. They absolutely should have as much of their system upgraded and maintained by MS as humanly possible. Not upgrading was mostly foolish and advising "regular" users not to do was extremely bad advice. People are stupid and shouldn't be trusted to handle these things, this is how botnets run rampant and DDOS attacks become so effective.

I understand that their weird nag campaign bugged a lot of people, but that doesn't "break the trust" of the update service. People have this weird idea that they actually "own" their Windows software and deserve total control over it. In reality you haven't actually "owned" anything more than a license to run Windows since 95.

They were technically and fundamentally correct in pushing Windows 10 upgrade notices as security updates so that no one skipped installing them. Not updating and continuing to use an older OS is a security risk that all users should be aware of and the new OS contains new security features that everyone should be utilizing.

Windows 10 is going to be proactively updated as much as possible and receive 0-day updates if necessary to address major issues as they arise. Windows 7 will continue to get updates... sure... but when? How frequently? No one can be certain of that.

1984 Comments. 100 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo