Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for descender

Real Name descender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/id/descender
Signed On Feb 24, 2011, 19:58
Total Comments 2325 (Senior)
User ID 56185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
9. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 21, 2017, 14:45 descender

"Your Honor, the defendant knows he killed the victim... he just won't tell us he did. He remembers everything else he did that day except for the part where he is accused of committing murder."

Yeah, that'll work well! Rolleyes

The courts are really struggling to get acclimated to this new digital paradigm.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 17:27 descender

IIRC that Uber president was specifically brought in to help put their PR fires... apparently the fire was too big. :p  

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews
69. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 17:06 descender

Verno wrote on Mar 20, 2017, 16:51:
Mass Effect: Racist Space Jesus

I'd buy it!

Pretty sure they did this already, he was called "The Illusive Man". :p

News Comments > etc.
27. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 16:48 descender

Something that struck me during this nonsense... isn't Mass Effect as a series largely and wholly centered around dealing with racism (speciesism?) and stereotypes and overcoming them to bring people together to save the day?

Since almost all of the drama in the series is centered around dealing with one form of bigotry or another, it would seem that someone with some first-hand stereotypical viewpoints might actually be a great contributor to write that type of story.

It just seems really bizarre to me that you are boycotting a game that is largely about racism because a racist person may have worked on it.
Shouldn't you be complaining that major plot points from every one of these games is centered around that which you hate so much? The more I think about it the more I realize that the entirety of Mass Effect and Dragon Age are ripe with "racism as gameplay". It seems to be Bioware's "thing".

It must be hard damn work to get through the day with constantly asking people to affirm that every person involved in a company confirms to your beliefs before you spend any money there... Do you think that racists only work on video games that you boycott, or do you think it's possible that you actually deal with them on a regular basis and it isn't the end of the world when it happens? How many days did you spend vetting every employee at CIG for racist tendencies before you sent them close to $1000? I'm guessing zero days. It's far easier to boycott something you don't actually want.

I'm sure the "I'm sorry for wasting all of your time with something Bioware actually took care of a month ago" post is coming soon too...

9. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 10:19 descender

I wasn't looking for talking point highlights. You seemed to have missed the "people who were defending the game" part. Where are they? They aren't here. We've had 2 (maybe 3) people post about having actually played the game and about how none of those complaints are actually game-breaking.

Nothing in a review is going to change a personally formed opinion. Who gives a flying fuck what these reviewers say anyway? Was that really going to change your purchase? Haven't we spent the last year or two going over how utterly biased and unreliable game reviewers are?

I'm only questioning why you started this thread with "does anyone want to come defend this game so I can make fun of you". Was that constructive?

6. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 09:56 descender

Well, since there is literally no one here doing that... what are you talking about? People are so bizarrely tribal about shit like this... I just don't get it.

Did you actually read all of those reviews or do you just assume that they all agree with your preconceived notions about the game based on one shit RPS article? They certainly aren't all doom and gloom... I've no dog in this fight, I was never going to buy this game after ME3 no matter what they did... but the demo was far less of a tragic experience than most of the early reviews would have you believe.

It's no worse than ME2 or ME3 in any way I can see... but it's certainly no better either. Don't let the armchair novelists fool you, the writing was never particularly good in this series... it was always quite terrible.

3. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 09:46 descender

Have you guys ever seen something you can't turn into "us vs them"?

News Comments > MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs?
51. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 19, 2017, 02:23 descender

If you say that Windows 7 will be supported until 2020 and Win 8 until 2023 or whatever, you can't (or at least shouldn't be able to) then go "but only if you're not on a new CPU!"

They only guarantee security patching and technical support up to those dates, it has nothing to do with hardware support.

How long would you legally force them to support the software? Who decides which versions of the OS have to be upgraded forever? Who pays for the labor the company has to put in to keep those old versions up to date?

You simply can't force any software company to update any software to support any particular hardware.

The IE anti-trust lawsuit would be laughed out of court if it were heard today.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda 4K Trailer
38. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 19, 2017, 02:04 descender

"internet tough guys are pieces of shit" says the abrasive, unnecessarily mocking, lashing out for no reason "internet tough guy" trying to talk someone down from a new troll account. Fuck. You. Dude.

The lack of self-awareness in that entire post is just astounding.

This comment was edited on Mar 19, 2017, 02:41.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 17, 2017, 19:18 descender

The image was not rendered on Yahoo or Bing, according to the documents

What the flying fuck does that even mean?

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
12. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 17, 2017, 17:19 descender

a hard science-fiction based multiplayer space combat simulator
fantasy

Anything involving space dogfighting is automatically "fantasy". They seem to have forgotten they are a making a fantasy game and marketed themselves as a space combat simulator, though. That would make it "not OK".

If they released a game called "Medieval England Castle Simulator" with dragons and magic and shit... same problem.

Is it so egregious that I desire something a little more intelligent? I'm sorry that bothers you so much... but "whatever" would perfectly sum up my feelings about it too.

9. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 17, 2017, 17:05 descender

Well... "we" understand it... but not enough of "we" that stops developers from selling this stupid fantasy to the public.

That being said, we still enjoy playing WW2 fighter games, even though the last time the USA had a gun kill was 25 years ago.

Yeah, but at least the WW1/2 dogfights were a thing that actually happened. I just don't appreciate the complete disregard for orbital physics in "hardcore space sim bulshitbullshitbullshit flight simulators". :p

Addendumn: Space "combat" is going to be a horrifying blend of extremely high-energy, extremely small non-explosive projectiles (like a bowling ball traveling at a fraction of the speed of light) and energy based weapons that you can't even see coming that can be launched from half a solar system away. Space combat maneuvers are going to involve staying as far the fuck away from whatever shit you are attacking as possible and hiding behind planets/moons/gravity wells... Whatever you are attacking will either be long dead before you get there, or you will.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 17, 2017, 17:00 descender

This does absolutely nothing to "ensure agencies get back to their actual focuses". How naive could you be?

The "debt clock" has absolutely no indicator on it that says "overspending on science and research, make cuts". Mostly because that's an insanely stupid thing to do and completely contradictory to economic principals. Science and research are the best places you can spend your budget dollars for reinvestment in your economy. They are literally the last dollars that should be cut from federal spending... but idiot conservatives don't understand that.

Blindly cutting budgets without looking into the details of who is overspending in what ways will never, ever work in any way.

When scientists are acting like the sky is falling... the rest of us should be paying attention... not being snarky assholes about how "it isn't a big deal". It is a fucking huge deal.

News Comments > MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs?
43. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 17, 2017, 16:01 descender

I don't think anyone here appreciates how much work actually has to be done by MS to optimize their OS for new CPU hardware. Work that they have to put in and essentially receive zero compensation for. CPU support is nothing like a graphics driver where the manufacturer is solely responsible for the compatibility.

They were ready to cut off Skylake CPU's at W10 last year, but the blowback got them to move off that stance. Given the pure unnecessity of KabyLake performance and the design flaws/issues in Zen I highly doubt they'll get enough blowback about this to change their stance this time around.

6. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 17, 2017, 15:37 descender

I wonder how far along our technology has to progress before the general public will understand that "space dogfighting" is not and will never be a thing.  

News Comments > Diablo III Adding Build Switching and Perfect Items
3. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 17, 2017, 15:20 descender

I'm surprised they update it at all any more.

Why? You guys really believe that just because you don't like it that no one else plays it? At the very least tens of thousands of people are still playing D3 just based on the number of open games available and that's only a fraction of the total number of games being played.

Another free patch and content update 5 years after the release? Yeah... is there some reason not to be happy about that? I can't think of any game I've every purchased where I wouldn't be happy about that sort of an update. Explain to me how adding rare drops to a game based on random drops is a bad thing?

What's clear is that after 5 years you guys have finally run out of reasonable things to complain about. The game still exists and gets updates?! Preposterous!

Thank god you still check in on every D3 thread to let us know you still don't like it. We were all on the edge of our seats wondering if this was going to be the patch that finally changed your mind. /s Rolleyes

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 17, 2017, 13:53 descender

The first SouthPark game was only about 4.5GB so I doubt that size is the issue. They seem to be having enough problems getting Fractured Butt Whole completed and released, so adding on another console build before launch seems pretty unlikely.  

28. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 16, 2017, 11:42 descender

I don't think too many people move to downtown Manhatten, one of the most expensive areas in the world to live... to work for a random "tech company". I sure hope he didn't do that...

I think you misunderstand the area he is moving to entirely. Odds are better that he is working for a Fortune500 company, probably a bank.

26. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 16, 2017, 10:37 descender

Ouch. That's a lot more than the South Bay, LA. For example.

That's gotta be almost an hour drive in traffic to the downtown area, right? Twice a day? How is that the same?

If I correctly understand where SMA's apartment is... it's IN the downtown financial district (basically all of southern Manhatten). There is a premium on living there because it's basically the mecca of business and money.

News Comments > Game Reviews
30. Re: Game Reviews Mar 15, 2017, 17:03 descender

Zelda has had some pretty bad collect quests in the past (skultullas in ocarina sticks out and that was only like 24 of them?, and the trading/pictobox quests in Windwaker)... but 900 seeds that's just fucking mean.

It does seem to me like there is a lot of purely optional items to collect in BotW so at least it has some longevity there.

I think the biggest difference between what Zelda did here and what DA:I does (and apparently ME:A) is that there aren't 900 icons on the minimap that you just have to go run to and press a button... you actually have to find the seeds and solve a puzzle, you can't just mindlessly beeline between map markers like the Bioware sidequests.

2325 Comments. 117 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo