Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Fort Collins, CO 03/24

Regularly scheduled events

User information for descender

Real Name descender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/id/descender
Signed On Feb 24, 2011, 19:58
Total Comments 2319 (Senior)
User ID 56185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers
19. Report on comment 1118707 Jan 26, 2017, 14:48 descender

You buy enterprise licenses through MS partners, there is no link. Being one myself, I'm absolutely certain you can find MS partners that will work up a mixed SKU package for you to cover the 5 required licenses.

I didn't say it was cheap, but they literally make the version of the OS you guys are looking for. Obviously, I wouldn't think it to be worth the cost, but I'm also not whining about telemetry and updates in a free OS. If you actually paid for W10... complain away!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
31. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2017, 14:11 descender

They established Rey's hand-to-hand and staff combat ability early on in the movie when she was attacked as Finn showed up. When you watch the Rey/Ben (#makerenbenagain) fight at the end of TFA she even starts out in a stance using the lightsaber like she only has half of a staff because it's how she has already learned how to fight.

Luke on screen blocked one training droid shot on the Falcon, swung his lightsaber at the vision Vader once in the second movie and then was able to somehow duel the "greatest saber fighter ever" to a draw. Yoda didn't seem to be in any shape to be giving dueling practice and teaching him sword fighting stances, so it stretches credibility.

Rey's combat ability just seems to be grounded in reality. Rey was out there roughing it and surviving whereas Luke is introduced as a spoiled brat.

I think in the long run we are going to find out that Rey's ease and competence is a feature, not a bug. She's going to have been previously trained as a 'youngling' by Luke and have some form of blocked memory that Kylo inadvertently unlocked. Her mind subconsciously knew how to fight off Kylo's mind attacks even if she wasn't aware that she was actively doing it.

The worst and only damning plot device I see in TFA was Han showing so quickly. It's easy to explain away when ships can travel at light speed but it was a bit jarring to have happened so fast. Rey/Finn should have stumbled upon Maz's hideout after their escape trying to refuel or something, and then have Han show up looking for it while they are there having had time to track it down. Once you accept faster than light travel it's hard to put limitations on these things, though.

In the end, things like Maz having Anakin's lightsaber are just as "convenient" as many of the plotholes in the original trilogy.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2017, 12:55 descender

I agree we aren't talking equality here. ANH was a better overall movie but that doesn't make TFA bad.

I just don't see how Luke "being a pilot because he has to be" is different than their exact same complaints about Rey. Almost all of the complaints they have about the plot driving devices in TFA can be levied on the old trilogy as well. There are complaints worth making about TFA but I think they generally go too far.

As far as I'm concerned (from what is actually shown in the movies) it makes way more sense for Rey to know how to fight with a lightsaber than it ever did for Luke. There are a ton of off-screen assumptions made for Luke's 'training' and Rey isn't given the same benefit of the doubt.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
40. Re: Overwatch Celebrates the Year of the Rooster Jan 26, 2017, 10:41 descender

I know I've been part of the 'problem', but I've entirely lost my patience for ignorance and disinformation. Most of these people don't deserve debate, they deserve the ridicule. Anyone that repeats infowars and breitbart garbage should be shouted down ad nauseum. They can go away, no one should care. They are only embarrassing and distorting a true conservative viewpoint.

Actual conservative posters are welcome to debate (with me anyway) in an honest fashion. I wish it would happen more often. I think that's all any of us really want... to be able to have these arguments on a level playing field where facts actually matter.

Political debates should be over policy and ideology, not demonstrable facts vs fan-fiction.

News Comments > New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers
17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2017, 09:35 descender

You could actually pay for the version that lets you turn all of the stuff off if it bothers you so much, but you've opted not to do that and instead choose to whine about the version you likely got for free.

Quite odd. There is a solution right there available to you if you feel you actually need more than consumer level control of your OS.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2017, 09:20 descender

The only real difference I see between Luke and Rey in their first movies is that Rey had to provide her own (albeit convenient) solutions and Luke was instead conveniently rescued at every turn. Luke really solved nothing in ANH other than flying an x-wing in combat with no training and making an "impossible shot" by... "using the force"? Everything else in the movie was basically him happening across and standing next to the person that actually figured things out.

Neither of them had believable journeys that progressed them to where they were at the end of the movie. To pretend otherwise is just playing the fanboi.

I think people are overly critical of TFA because they expected to find an entire original trilogy worth of depth in one movie rather than just looking at what actually went on in ANH.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 25, 2017, 12:14 descender

https://youtu.be/G6NW_6Bg4M8

This movie only gets scarier as time goes on

News Comments > Overwatch Celebrates the Year of the Rooster
18. Re: Overwatch Celebrates the Year of the Rooster Jan 25, 2017, 10:10 descender

This is obviously a test for a more robust CTF mode, they are just using the arcade to hash out new gameplay concepts.

My only complaint about the CTF mode is that they don't restrict skill use while carrying the flag at all. The flag pickup timer is there so that someone like a Tracer can't just run in, grab it and instantly warp out... but it doesn't stop her from abusing the skill once she has the flag. Valve/Epic knew better than to give the flag carriers full mobility and I expect Blizzard will eventually make this change as well.

News Comments > Overwatch Celebrates the Year of the Rooster
4. Re: Overwatch Celebrates the Year of the Rooster Jan 25, 2017, 00:48 descender

Crouch now has a very small cooldown between uses

Blizzard doesn't want your teabag gifs.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 24, 2017, 22:31 descender

The only thing that protected wages and created the middle class was collective bargaining. Unions created living wage jobs and held corporations accountable. That is what caused the boom of the middle class in America, not the mere existence of manufacturing jobs. Right-wing voters have given away their power to have living wage jobs at every turn for the last 60 years. It's hard to feel for them when they continually do this to themselves.

We don't need more minimum wage jobs and that is all we are going to get with this pipedream. It doesn't matter how many factories you bring back now, $7.25/hour is never going to raise a family. Trump and the new labor secretary obviously have no idea of improving that either.

11. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 24, 2017, 17:26 descender

Le'Veon Bell being out basically the entire game changed everything about that Pats/Steelers game. I don't see how anyone could pass a judgment of the Pats based on a game where they didn't have to face the other team's star player who also happens to be the single most dominant player in the entire league.

Both teams (ATL and NE) did exactly what they should have done given the circumstances.

Independence Day: Resurgence was serviceable
Were you drunk? Like dangerously drunk?

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 24, 2017, 16:01 descender

Tariffs are a ridiculously ineffective plan to "bring back jobs" because they literally can't and won't do that. Taxing imports isn't going to bring back a single job to the United States, it's just going to make things more expensive here and cause companies to move to other countries that we haven't placed these tariffs on. This can already be seen as reality, manufacturing jobs are now actually leaving China for countries with cheaper labor.

Factories have already been coming back to the US, but they aren't hiring as many people as they used to in order to run them due to automation.

Since the recession ended in 2009, manufacturing output — the value of all the goods that U.S. factories produce, adjusted for inflation — has risen by more than 20 percent, because of a combination of “reshoring” and increased domestic demand. Manufacturing employment is up just 5 percent.

Manufacturing jobs returning to Middle America is and always has been a total pipe dream. You can't turn back the clock on globalization.

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 24, 2017, 13:48 descender

Two highly efficient offenses without overbearing defenses... should be one of the more entertaining Superbowls in recent memory.

I feel that the game is really going to hinge on the Pats defense. If they can stall a few Atlanta drives that'll probably be enough.

which is the first time since 1999 where they lost against the Denver Broncos
Their only two SuperBowl appearances are against Elway and Brady, brutal :p

This comment was edited on Jan 24, 2017, 14:40.

10. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 24, 2017, 11:46 descender

. oops.  

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 24, 2017, 11:39 descender

Give me one example of fake news that trump supporters supposedly were snookered with

One?

There was a story (Pizzagate, you might have heard of it) about the Clinton campaign running a sex trafficking ring from the basement of a building with no basement that had Trump supporters so convinced that one of the crazy fuckers took a gun into the pizza shop looking for it.

A story that the pope endorsed Trump was shared over a million times, never happened. A story about Trump sending his plane to save some marines was shared a million times, never happened. A half-million people shared stories about Hillary selling weapons to ISIS and ISIS calling for voters to vote for Hillary, neither happened. Breitbart was selling a story that Comey was secretly taking money from the Clinton foundation, although I'm assuming they said that before he torpedoed her. There were stories about her campaign murdering an FBI investigator and a campaign staffer.

How about that story where Trump is an outsider (a billionaire outsider, lol) who was going to 'drain the swamp' (and fill it with Exxon and Goldman Sachs employees?), lower taxes on the poor (the poorest millionaires among us) and bring jobs back to the rust belt (jobs that have been largely automated)? That one was pretty fucking hilarious.

It isn't about "one fake story" that Trump supporters were fooled by, it's the overwhelming glut of disinformation that they were being fed that they basically had no choice but to be misinformed. Fake-news generated by the internet became an industry in this election cycle, with a product that was sold to conservative voters and they absolutely ate it up. This is not up for debate, this actually happened. Conservative voters were actually targetted as the most gullible and the owners of these fake news sites are not remotely shy about talking about it.

Paraphrasing you... "People who listen to these 7 different news sources are morons, the 1 news source I listen to is the only one that isn't lying."

You've got yourself convinced that the 5 competing mega-corporations that own the news you refuse to believe are somehow different than the mega-coropration that owns the one pushing the news you believe. Oh, and that those 5 corporations are cooperatively trying to raise the awareness of people who hate corporate control and power. Brain. Dead. Stupid.

54. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 21, 2017, 23:49 descender

The line about the jewelry and modeling is still on her bio page but they removed the QVC reference.

I don't think comedians are going to have as much work to do as they thought.

56. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 20, 2017, 16:54 descender

But all in all, the economy will be fine

No, the economy is going to be fucked into the ground by his trade and tax policies. The stock market is not the economy, though. They'll probably do just fine until it crashes again.

The DJIA has almost no bearing on the actual economic status of the country, which has been clear as day in the past 8 years as the markets have soared far beyond any actual economic growth. Wall street is only flying high right now with hopes of de-regulation. The markets gain and lose billions of dollars on pure speculation every day. Microtransactions have effectively broken the commodities markets. Nintendo overinflated by billions and then came crashing back down when people realized they didn't actually make Pokemon Go. Elon Musk and Donald Trump have made tweets this year that cost companies billions of dollars in valuation entirely on speculation.

In the age of twitter and microtransactions, there is no attachment between the markets and economic reality at all.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 20, 2017, 16:47 descender

Now... i don't disagree that the elites get special treatment... but Hillary wasn't prosecuted because she broke no laws. There were no laws on the books for any of this while she was in office, Obama only signed them into existence in 2014. The "rules" about private email use that every keeps referring to are state department guidelines, not laws. Rules are meaningless and non-enforceable in court which is exactly why they didn't pursue charges. They would have lost.

The mail server was a hosted 2010 exchange server. There is no need for wild speculation or mockery, this is public information. In an unrelated note, it was found that the Trump campaign was running off of an unpatched Exchange 2003 box. Must have been really hard for Wikileaks to crack that one! Rolleyes

The only thing she could have actually been pinned on here was mishandling of classified information and dodging FOIA requests. If they pursued that for Hillary they would have also had to charge the last 3 secretaries of state with the same thing.

46. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 20, 2017, 16:04 descender

It is designed to give a voice to all of those flyover states you libs hate

Rolleyes Laugh2 Do you even understand the electoral college? It was definitely not designed for that. Go read the federalist papers. It was designed as a protection against an uneducated public in a time where literacy wasn't common and to placate slave states lack of eligible voters. It had absolutely nothing to do with intentionally giving undeserved power to small states.

There is a reason that the electoral college has seen more proposals to change it than any other topic in American political history. 700+ proposed changes and repeals in 230 years.

If we had a straight vote we would be looking at our 7th consecutive democratic president. Texas can't sway popular vote numbers it is already counted in.

edit: If you don't understand the difference between pre-election polling and actual election results, there probably isn't much hope for you. The numbers JD quotes are absolutely accurate.

This comment was edited on Jan 20, 2017, 16:16.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 20, 2017, 14:12 descender

woops, doubled.  

2319 Comments. 116 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo