Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Bend, OR 04/29

Regularly scheduled events

User information for descender

Real Name descender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/id/descender
Signed On Feb 24, 2011, 19:58
Total Comments 2414 (Senior)
User ID 56185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Launch Trailer
48. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 13, 2017, 09:50 descender

Actually, it looks like they're emphasizing run & gun a lot more than cover shooting in this one. You have a jetpack that you can use to dash in any direction and there's a lot more verticality in general.

You must have watched some other gameplay video... because this is just another cover shooter with blatantly obvious set pieces.

They've definitely done a better job of hiding the sets, but it still has that jarring feel of "oh hey, there are some waist high boxes over there, I better get ready for a big fight" rather than coming upon the fights dynamically.

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 2017, 10:23.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
9. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 11, 2017, 11:40 descender

That wasn't a scheduler issue though. That was HT just not being fully baked.

Rolleyes People should stay out of these threads if you know fuck all about hardware. You aren't fooling anyone!

Title says Microsoft Windows bug.
Article says Microsoft is working on a fix for Windows.
2 posters mention HT issues have happened before with both AMD and Intel involving Microsoft.

Yet the lynch mob wants to storm AMD.

Maybe the "lynch mob" understands hardware a little better than you do. There is no "bug" in Windows, it detects hyperthreaded cores exactly the way it is supposed to. Of course Microsoft is working on a fix, they have to update the OS to detect these new Ryzen cores properly.

If I release a new piece of hardware tomorrow without telling MS how it works, is it their fault that their OS doesn't magically detect my new hardware calls... or mine?

It's clearly AMD's fault for not getting the OS support inline before launching their fucked up product. It's clearly not MS's fault that AMD released hardware that doesn't fucking work right. At no point could AMD have ever thought they were getting the full performance of their new CPU when they released it to reviewers.

Maybe it's time for some introspective, why are you so willing to make excuses for AMD for fucking this up? We all want better competition in the CPU market, but MS isn't your personal punching bag just because you want something to be true..

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews
28. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 9, 2017, 16:28 descender

It doesn't forgive would be comparisons

Oh, of course... it just seemed strange to blame MS for a buggy scheduler if AMD released new hardware and didn't make sure it actually worked in the newest OS. MS doesn't read minds or care when you change your technical specs :p

It would be nice if there wasn't always... something... wrong with benchmarking.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews
25. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 9, 2017, 16:18 descender

The windows 10 scheduler isn't "bugged"... it works exactly the way it is supposed to. AMD released a CPU that doesn't report properly to the OS. It only currently works right in W7 because the W7 scheduler is "dumber" and tries to do less balancing.

Essentially the same thing happened when Hyperthreading was first released by Intel. Windows needs to be updated to recognize new hardware, this should surprise exactly no one. I'm totally willing to blame AMD for fucking this up and not finding this bug until way too late in the development process. They should have known that this was an issue at the very least months ago.

News Comments > Quake Champions Beta Signups
28. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2017, 20:03 descender

Spam? What is this, 1995? Who the fuck gets SPAM in their inbox? What kind of poser PC user are you? Do I literally have to spell out how to forward emails from the developer and none of the others? Did you need to get help turning the screen on first or did you work that one out for yourself?

There is no magic "tracking software" that can detect email forwarding. At best they use embedded images and other than you deciding to load such images in an HTML message... which you obviously wouldn't have enabled in the first place because you are the gr8test pc user evar1!@%!$... right? Rolleyes

Why would you forward yourself anything other than a plain-text email from a throwaway account in the first place?

I don't think you've ever actually done this correctly. No brains. Not a single fucking cell. So yes, this is probably part of the "Trump phenomenon" where one dipshit just talks louder and makes fun of the other person to make their point despite having no clue what they are talking about. It just wasn't the way you were expecting.

Troll on trollhard.

News Comments > Quake Champions Beta Signups
25. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2017, 17:01 descender

You do realize that you are supposed to forward your throwaway address to your real one... you know... so you aren't a fucking idiot? Then you turn the forward off after you get the key and.... I feel like I've gone too far.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2017, 16:50 descender

"Ready for the enterprise." Uh-huh.

Whenever I hear someone talk about Mac's and enterprise I have to roll my eyes, hard. It must be nice to run IT for an office that does all of its' business via email and a web browser. What's that? You need to actually use some CAD/engineering software or have connectivity with your legacy inventory/payroll systems? Well, better not request that MAC just yet... Have privacy compliance to work around like HIPAA? Well, no Mac's for you either...

The IBM/Mac story is a nice story until you realize that they let all of their Mac home users choose to migrate over first, obviously reducing the number of tech calls they were making since they were now using a system they knew how to use. They get to conveniently leave out re-training as part of that deployment cost. They also leave out the part where IBM's infrastructure was built ready to host a mac environment which most offices are not remotely equipped for... There are just entirely too many factors overlooked in that IBM story to actually apply any conclusions to another company. Converting a company from PC to Mac is an absolute nightmare and is definitely not cheaper for anyone involved. Mac's, specifically Macbooks, make sense for developers... and really no one else.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of War Gameplay Video
15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2017, 16:23 descender

I hope they focus a little more on difficulty, and on cultivating your orc army... maybe give you something to actually do with them. Heck... Just giving their existing game systems more weight within the actual game would help... in SoM practically every part of the game was optional due to very poor balance.

The scripting and AI complaints sound like they come from people that never actually played the first game (or any Arkham game). The "scripted sequences" displayed here are nothing new.

Either way... looks like they aren't going to break a winning formula. Can't blame them. My purchase really depends on their DLC plans.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2017, 16:03 descender

If only "worthy" or immediate scientific endeavors were funded we'd still be banging rocks together. $8billion is a drop in a bucket compared to the stupid things we waste money on in this country. Money spent in the pursuit of the scientific frontier is never in vain. Most scientific progress stems from either military or exploratory spending.

Just like education, money spent on space exploration is money effectively reinvested in our economy. Some estimates are as high as $14 returned on every dollar spent. There is literally NOT a more effective way that the money could be spent today.

This isn't throwing $8billion at a pipedream that is beyond our technological limits... Europa is practically in our backyard and is the only source of liquid water we've identified outside of this planet. It is quite significant... until it isn't. Not exploring the solar system just because you "don't get it" would be quite foolish indeed.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2017, 12:19 descender

The best part about ambiguous religious texts is that you literally get to choose when and where they apply, and if you were wrong... then you only misinterpreted it! That one didn't apply to any plagues or diseases prior to 1914? How convenient!

It would be great if you stopped trying to push your half-assed bible study on us as "fact". No one here is asking for it, and I'm certain you could find a more receptive audience for it elsewhere.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 6, 2017, 10:36 descender

IIRC they had the same stance when they launched the DS. You can still return them to the retailer, they are just not honoring warranty requests for dead pixels after your return policy is up.

It's weirdly shitty to have in writing, but there are no actual reports of people being denied any exchanges because of dead pixels yet.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 24, 2017, 16:38 descender

No, you are equating them by not understanding the difference between being charged with one crime vs multiple crimes.

In the US the mandatory minimum for murder is 25 years. The maximum possible penalty for "copyright infringement" is 5 years. How does one equate 5 years with 25 years?

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 24, 2017, 15:38 descender

That's because you only get charged with 1 count of murder, but you usually get charged with dozens of counts of piracy hacking and whatnot. You can't really equate the sentence of committing 1 crime with committing 10+ crimes.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2017, 12:02 descender

Just found out yesterday that I am also going to be moving to the Southeastern Pennsyltucky area for basically the same reason that you are, Blue. We may have to convene for some smoked meats, chili and beers.  

66. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 23, 2017, 15:44 descender

If you start off by taking an assumption as fact, like "Jesus was actually the messiah", then you can easily be led to believe any number of vague passages foretold his coming.

The prophecy you referred to in the first paragraph doesn't even actually make any claim that a "messiah will be born in Bethlehem".

“But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah,
though you are small among the clans[a] of Judah,
out of you will come for me
one who will be ruler over Israel,
whose origins are from of old,
from ancient times.”

"Bethlehem Ephrathah" is an old tribe of Isreal, not the literal town of Bethlehem. This is how simple it is to get mislead and think someone may have "proved" things through the correlation of vague statements.

There is no actual "scientific evidence" that anything spiritual claimed in the bible is actually true. There literally can't be if you understand what "scientific evidence" actually means. This means repeatable, verifiable proof of a concept. If there was proof then it wouldn't be considered faith, it would merely be an understanding of fact. They wouldn't be keeping it to themselves hidden behind vague prophecies, they would be shouting from the rooftops that they finally had something tangible to point to as existence of a deity.

There is, however, plenty of research and evidence pointing to the allegorical nature of religious texts and how they all reflect ancient pagan sun worship. There is plenty of proof that the "gospels" were written hundreds of years later and the entirety of the Bible was cleansed and re-written by the Romans.

This is kind of what I was talking about in the other thread... Religion in all it's forms is highly susceptible to human interference, revision, and denial. Throughout history, the texts have been changed to suit those in power. There is no way to know if any part of it is in it's original or intended form, how could something to fallible be the word of an infallible being?

This can't and doesn't happen with "scientific" experiments. You don't have to trust in the literal or metaphorical interpretations of anything, every scientific experiment can be repeated and "proven" whether you believe it is true or possible... or not.

13. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 23, 2017, 14:35 descender

But Dolphin never got Wii Motion Plus emulated correctly last I checked, and certain games just never worked anyways (like Metroid).

Yes and no... Wii MotionPlus actually does "work" through the emulator, but you have to have a Real Wiimote/Dolphinbar to make it happen. They haven't translated it to a regular gamepad yet. Since we are talking about legally ripping our own games and we already have Wiimotes *cough* the Dolphinbar only costs $25 on Amazon and it's pretty great. Is it worth it? Debatable, as you said very few games ever really utilized the MP so unless you want to play Wii Sports Resort, Skyward Sword or Red Steel 2 then you can get by with most games on a regular pad. The Steampad works really nicely with it so you can emulate the gyros and pointer.

Metroid works fine for me? I've been playing the Wii Trilogy pack. I have played a ton of roms on it and the only real problems I've come across are Wii Sports Resort crashing between events, Guitar Hero emulation speed being inconsistent (my CPU probably) and some old EA gamecube games like MVP 2005/SSX Tricky crashing/glighting wildly. XC definitely still has some audio glitching that just won't ever go away... but most Wii games work pretty well at this point.

8. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 23, 2017, 12:17 descender

then play it upsampled to 4K on a gaming PC attached to a HDTV via Dolphin emulator

Can confirm, best way. There is even an HD texture pack for it.

What strange sports fans you guys are. You don't change what team you root for just because you move, that's just silly. :p

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 23, 2017, 09:28 descender

Do you take off all of your door locks just because there are people in the world that can pick them? Of course not :p Most security only needs to be good enough to stop the laziest hacker/thief along the way.

Google just demonstrated an SHA-1 collision for the first time... so the digital security world is about to be turned on it's head anyway.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 22, 2017, 12:49 descender

I don't 'get' the edge phones either, but I can easily tell anyone that owns one exactly how their phone will die :p

What is it that you can do with stock android that I am missing because I have a Touchwiz S5? Seems like much of the bellyaching about Touchwiz goes back to far older versions where it was actually slowing things down, but that isn't the case anymore. You can disable all stock/preinstalled apps now as well.

News Comments > Steam Adding 10% GST in AU
11. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 22, 2017, 12:14 descender

They already have a few localized Steam storefronts. NZ and Canada are two I can think of off the top of my head. They sell (mostly) everything, but they sell it in the local currency.  

2414 Comments. 121 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo