Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for descender

Real Name descender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/id/descender
Signed On Feb 24, 2011, 19:58
Total Comments 2426 (Senior)
User ID 56185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Game Reviews
30. Re: Game Reviews Mar 15, 2017, 17:03 descender

Zelda has had some pretty bad collect quests in the past (skultullas in ocarina sticks out and that was only like 24 of them?, and the trading/pictobox quests in Windwaker)... but 900 seeds that's just fucking mean.

It does seem to me like there is a lot of purely optional items to collect in BotW so at least it has some longevity there.

I think the biggest difference between what Zelda did here and what DA:I does (and apparently ME:A) is that there aren't 900 icons on the minimap that you just have to go run to and press a button... you actually have to find the seeds and solve a puzzle, you can't just mindlessly beeline between map markers like the Bioware sidequests.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Lucio Changes and More Revealed in Overwatch AMA
8. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 14, 2017, 14:20 descender

As a Lucio main player the only real times I use the speed buff is to get people to an objective

I randomly press it a lot, but the people I play with are also aware of that so they expect it... it screws up the other team leading their shots because everyone's move speed keeps changing. I probably run the speed boost more often than I run the heal in a normal match... at least 50/50.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 14, 2017, 12:19 descender

Based on our findings, AMD believes that the Windows® 10 thread scheduler is operating properly for “Zen"

Of course you did... If you had to admit that you released a product without even testing it on the most recent major OS or submitting it to MS for patching/drivers then you'd be pretty fucked in the pooper. None of this even addresses the actual CCX latency issues the scheduler is actually causing.

Is their plan to have developers specifically program their games for this one CPU? Are they outside of their minds?

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
8. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 14, 2017, 12:09 descender

Teaching an AI to choose between two "less than optimal" situations is the true purpose of the "ethical trolley problem"... and something that they will absolutely have to train it to deal with. It doesn't have to be a "you die or I die" situation to have to make this sort of choice, that is merely the logical extension of the factors involved.  

News Comments > Lucio Changes and More Revealed in Overwatch AMA
2. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 14, 2017, 11:58 descender

Unless you are playing highly competitive ranked... Diamond or better... Lucio is certainly not a "must pick" class. The biggest problem with Lucio (and Reinhardt) is people thinking that they are "the meta" and "must picks" when they really aren't when you are playing in Bronze where no one knows which way is up.

How often do those same people actually change to other more useful characters when their team dictates it? Do you have a Pharah and a Tracer or another flanker on your team? Why the fuck do you need a shield no one is hiding behind and a speed boost/heal no one is in range of then?!

Shitty players trying to force the "meta" at low levels of play is a far larger detriment to winning than the actual kits of these characters.

I'm very much looking forward to this Winston buff... make that barrier mean something!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 14, 2017, 11:45 descender

I would like to stipulate that most people in NYC are nothing like the spoiled yuppie assholes you find on the upper east-side of Manhatten. Downtown LA is filled with those same exact assholes.

I used to think NYC was a cesspool of homeless beggars... but then I visited San Diego... holy shit. Talk about culture shock.

Personally, I like living where the earth doesn't try to shake me off the planet. I can deal with a few indoor days during the winter in exchange for my house not falling on my head.

Apparently Mother Nature has thrown out her calendar.
Still says that it's "Winter" on my calendar for another week... I heard from a friend that northern PA is getting killed. 1.5 feet down and another foot on the way.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
66. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 14, 2017, 10:37 descender

Mutual understanding and learning in a thread with a disagreement? Did someone break the internet? :p

I only jumped in here because every time I see "walla" all I can hear is Looney Tunes.
-- This post brought to you by the Little Giant Vacuum Company of Walla-Walla Washington.

58. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 13, 2017, 20:38 descender

I'm letting you know that you are 100% wrong. They are literally not saying that in those movies. They are using a real word that has a real definition. It doesn't matter how they (incorrectly) pronounce it or how you are (incorrectly) hearing it. There are still R's in words in Boston, they just don't say them. They don't change the spelling and make up new words.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/voila

You need to give this one up...

47. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 13, 2017, 19:36 descender

Isn't everything a saying? That doesn't give you carte blanche to just call any mispronunciation a "saying".

What you are typing is the wrong word based on a mispronunciation. It's OK to be wrong. Most people have a terrible vocabulary and terrible pronunciation.

"Walla" is like "pasgetti" and "nucular", "expresso"... "purscription", "for all intensive purposes", "be more pacific".... none of these are correct. When heard during a conversation they are certainly not the signs of a higher intelligence, when written they remove all doubt. They are words and phrases based on things that do actually exist but are misspoken so often that people don't even understand what they should be trying to say.

The only place "walla" actually exists in is Walla-Walla Washington :p

13. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 13, 2017, 13:23 descender

Can you justify ads for someone who wants to buy the OS now?

I don't have to justify anything. I literally said that those are the only people who should be complaining.

10. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 13, 2017, 12:56 descender

The "it was free" argument is a logical fallacy.

1. It was available for free. You were able to exchange proof of purchase of a previous OS for a free copy of the new OS. It is no longer available for free. If you want Windows 10 today you have to pay for it. If you pay for it then you can complain about the ads. The logical fallacy is yours.

2. I've "seen" the ads too, I am aware that they exist. I am also aware that they do not appear on any system that I have configured. Sounds like your clients have a larger problem with their systems than the ads, you just might be a shit admin if they have seen them more than once.

It would seem that since I'm not the one whining about free things having ads, that I will not require your "butthurt feelings" PDF.

5. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 13, 2017, 12:17 descender

If I paid any amount of money for Windows 10 I might be upset... but I didn't, so I'm not whining that a free OS came with a few ads (which I must have inadvertently disabled because... no fuckin ads here).

That glass house won't stand for long. There's not much worse than people whining about something completely optional that they were given for free.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Launch Trailer
48. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 13, 2017, 09:50 descender

Actually, it looks like they're emphasizing run & gun a lot more than cover shooting in this one. You have a jetpack that you can use to dash in any direction and there's a lot more verticality in general.

You must have watched some other gameplay video... because this is just another cover shooter with blatantly obvious set pieces.

They've definitely done a better job of hiding the sets, but it still has that jarring feel of "oh hey, there are some waist high boxes over there, I better get ready for a big fight" rather than coming upon the fights dynamically.

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 2017, 10:23.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
9. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 11, 2017, 11:40 descender

That wasn't a scheduler issue though. That was HT just not being fully baked.

Rolleyes People should stay out of these threads if you know fuck all about hardware. You aren't fooling anyone!

Title says Microsoft Windows bug.
Article says Microsoft is working on a fix for Windows.
2 posters mention HT issues have happened before with both AMD and Intel involving Microsoft.

Yet the lynch mob wants to storm AMD.

Maybe the "lynch mob" understands hardware a little better than you do. There is no "bug" in Windows, it detects hyperthreaded cores exactly the way it is supposed to. Of course Microsoft is working on a fix, they have to update the OS to detect these new Ryzen cores properly.

If I release a new piece of hardware tomorrow without telling MS how it works, is it their fault that their OS doesn't magically detect my new hardware calls... or mine?

It's clearly AMD's fault for not getting the OS support inline before launching their fucked up product. It's clearly not MS's fault that AMD released hardware that doesn't fucking work right. At no point could AMD have ever thought they were getting the full performance of their new CPU when they released it to reviewers.

Maybe it's time for some introspective, why are you so willing to make excuses for AMD for fucking this up? We all want better competition in the CPU market, but MS isn't your personal punching bag just because you want something to be true..

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews
28. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 9, 2017, 16:28 descender

It doesn't forgive would be comparisons

Oh, of course... it just seemed strange to blame MS for a buggy scheduler if AMD released new hardware and didn't make sure it actually worked in the newest OS. MS doesn't read minds or care when you change your technical specs :p

It would be nice if there wasn't always... something... wrong with benchmarking.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews
25. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 9, 2017, 16:18 descender

The windows 10 scheduler isn't "bugged"... it works exactly the way it is supposed to. AMD released a CPU that doesn't report properly to the OS. It only currently works right in W7 because the W7 scheduler is "dumber" and tries to do less balancing.

Essentially the same thing happened when Hyperthreading was first released by Intel. Windows needs to be updated to recognize new hardware, this should surprise exactly no one. I'm totally willing to blame AMD for fucking this up and not finding this bug until way too late in the development process. They should have known that this was an issue at the very least months ago.

News Comments > Quake Champions Beta Signups
28. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2017, 20:03 descender

Spam? What is this, 1995? Who the fuck gets SPAM in their inbox? What kind of poser PC user are you? Do I literally have to spell out how to forward emails from the developer and none of the others? Did you need to get help turning the screen on first or did you work that one out for yourself?

There is no magic "tracking software" that can detect email forwarding. At best they use embedded images and other than you deciding to load such images in an HTML message... which you obviously wouldn't have enabled in the first place because you are the gr8test pc user evar1!@%!$... right? Rolleyes

Why would you forward yourself anything other than a plain-text email from a throwaway account in the first place?

I don't think you've ever actually done this correctly. No brains. Not a single fucking cell. So yes, this is probably part of the "Trump phenomenon" where one dipshit just talks louder and makes fun of the other person to make their point despite having no clue what they are talking about. It just wasn't the way you were expecting.

Troll on trollhard.

News Comments > Quake Champions Beta Signups
25. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2017, 17:01 descender

You do realize that you are supposed to forward your throwaway address to your real one... you know... so you aren't a fucking idiot? Then you turn the forward off after you get the key and.... I feel like I've gone too far.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2017, 16:50 descender

"Ready for the enterprise." Uh-huh.

Whenever I hear someone talk about Mac's and enterprise I have to roll my eyes, hard. It must be nice to run IT for an office that does all of its' business via email and a web browser. What's that? You need to actually use some CAD/engineering software or have connectivity with your legacy inventory/payroll systems? Well, better not request that MAC just yet... Have privacy compliance to work around like HIPAA? Well, no Mac's for you either...

The IBM/Mac story is a nice story until you realize that they let all of their Mac home users choose to migrate over first, obviously reducing the number of tech calls they were making since they were now using a system they knew how to use. They get to conveniently leave out re-training as part of that deployment cost. They also leave out the part where IBM's infrastructure was built ready to host a mac environment which most offices are not remotely equipped for... There are just entirely too many factors overlooked in that IBM story to actually apply any conclusions to another company. Converting a company from PC to Mac is an absolute nightmare and is definitely not cheaper for anyone involved. Mac's, specifically Macbooks, make sense for developers... and really no one else.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of War Gameplay Video
15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2017, 16:23 descender

I hope they focus a little more on difficulty, and on cultivating your orc army... maybe give you something to actually do with them. Heck... Just giving their existing game systems more weight within the actual game would help... in SoM practically every part of the game was optional due to very poor balance.

The scripting and AI complaints sound like they come from people that never actually played the first game (or any Arkham game). The "scripted sequences" displayed here are nothing new.

Either way... looks like they aren't going to break a winning formula. Can't blame them. My purchase really depends on their DLC plans.

2426 Comments. 122 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo