Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for descender

Real Name descender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/id/descender
Signed On Feb 24, 2011, 19:58
Total Comments 1983 (Pro)
User ID 56185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Blizzard on Overwatch Matchmaking
16. Re: Blizzard on Overwatch Matchmaking Jun 22, 2016, 22:11 descender

That is pretty funny... do the emotes in the game come through in your local language?

I use "ult status" "group up" and "need healing" very often (separate hotkeys instead of the wheel).

Even if people only notice it once it's worth pressing those damn buttons all the time.

I have noticed that mic chat is pretty quiet in this game (solo quick play anyway), but I imagine that will change in ranked. I don't think the ingame system works very well yet anyway. People tell me I'm fuzzy about half of the time I press the key.

This comment was edited on Jun 22, 2016, 22:21.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Overwatch PTR Launches
13. Re: Overwatch PTR Launches Jun 22, 2016, 22:04 descender

They have added a lot of weapons and game modes to TF2, some of which have completely altered the way the game is played.

Saying it's "just hats" just means you haven't played it.

13. Re: Blizzard on Overwatch Matchmaking Jun 22, 2016, 14:23 descender

The problem I have is repeatedly running into a meat grinder if my team is losing

One of the most important things to do in this situation is to try to get your team to regroup in or around spawn before you all run back into the wall of death single file.

News Comments > LIMBO for Free
9. Re: LIMBO for Free Jun 22, 2016, 13:47 descender

PlayDead (the developer for LIMBO) has a new game launching in July. This is just a PR move to attract customers to their games.  

11. Re: Blizzard on Overwatch Matchmaking Jun 22, 2016, 13:43 descender

One day someone will finally realize that one shot kills from across the map are not fun for anyone involved and maybe... just maybe they'll release an MP FPS without a fucking sniper rifle.

i can dream, right?

If such a significant amount of people are purposely trying to avoid Widowmaker players... maybe that should have been addressed as a balance issue and not an "avoiding good players" issue.

News Comments > Into the Black
15. Re: Into the Black Jun 22, 2016, 01:22 descender

Other than the entire most of the rest of the world being a perfect example of gun control laws working to reduce gun violence...

How could we ever possibly know if we don't even remotely attempt to keep track of them? If we don't attempt to curtail illegal sales in parking lots? If we are legally not allowed to study solutions to gun violence or it's relation to mental health thanks to the NRA?

Changes must be made.

It's insane to worry about how ineffective the changes might be. The current situation is not working at all.

The US is the only modern, "civilized" country in the world with a gun violence problem. Do we have the only crazy people? No.
What we do have is the only country with more guns than people. More guns than sense.

Almost anything else would be better at this point.

This comment was edited on Jun 22, 2016, 01:39.

7. Re: Blizzard on Overwatch Matchmaking Jun 22, 2016, 01:17 descender

FOV 107 is 90 degrees at 16:9. OW goes up to 103. That isn't making you miss. :p

Go into the custom control settings for the melee characters and turn up the mouse sensitivity just for them, should solve the issue anyway.

News Comments > Into the Black
13. Re: Into the Black Jun 22, 2016, 00:44 descender

Modern gun control advocates can't seem to get past their fixation on "Let's just ban the scary looking ones!" And that's why we can't have real, effective, gun control.

I agree with most of the post, but this part is pretty much bullshit.

Gun control advocates would (should?) actually happily take any one of a number of advances in gun control laws. Those desired changes are certainly not limited to "scary guns". Expanded background checks, terrorist watchlist access, federal registration and electronic databasing of ALL gun-sale records (they are legally required to ONLY keep paper records... WTF?! Thanks NRA!).

None of these have anything to do with what kind of gun shot who.

The NRA goes to great lengths to make the public believe that "gun control" only means "taking away guns" and it really doesn't. Their propaganda fractures the debate by getting pedantic over things like "what constitutes an assault rifle" and "what type of background checks" and other bullshit. This just poisons and clutters the debate with meaningless stuff no one was or should be wasting time arguing over.

If you have to split hairs over whether a gun qualifies as exceedingly deadly or not... it probably does. is this the important part of the debate? Worth holding up the entire rest of the legislation over? of course not, it's merely a distraction.

The only reason there has been no "meaningful gun control" and that is the NRA. It has nothing to do with anything else. The NRA, the rubes they've swindled into their political movement through fear-mongering, and the politicians they've bought.

2. Re: Blizzard on Overwatch Matchmaking Jun 21, 2016, 22:47 descender

Have you tried playing custom games? Literally every gameplay option you just asked for is already there.

basically the enemy team had always the hard counter to my char

You really need to change characters to play OW correctly. Especially when you are being countered. If you don't, that disadvantage might be the reason your team is losing.

This is simply not a game where you can "play one class" all night and expect to win consistently (unless your full premade team is building around you every round).

You need to be countering your opponent, not letting them do it to you.

News Comments > Different Steam Top 10
28. Re: Different Steam Top 10 Jun 21, 2016, 18:16 descender

People want HL3 because the story isn't finished. I honestly wouldn't care if they released it in Source mod. I just want to know WTF happens.

They are working on Source2 (DOTA2 is their beta test) and then hopefully HL3/L4D3/P3 development will begin.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
35. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 21, 2016, 18:13 descender

CVT's still "downshift" you just don't feel it.

Always in the powerband? Better gas mileage? What is there to not like? They are a lot better now. Regular AT probably won't be around much longer.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 21, 2016, 14:23 descender

I got 8 vouchers for 2 free tickets each and 6 coupons for $2.50 off a purchase. Just waiting for them to update the list of events we can use the vouchers for.

Thank you class action!

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 21, 2016, 14:12 descender

One good trick to stopping rust on your grates is to stop cleaning them after you cook. Clean them when you are pre-heating your grill the next time instead. The shit on them will protect the grates and you'll just burn it off anyway (insta-sterile).  

News Comments > Civilization VI's Unstacked Cities
12. Re: Civilization VI's Unstacked Cities Jun 21, 2016, 09:09 descender

Looks awesome, I don't understand any of the complaints here. If you are still bitching about Civ5 changes...

If I'm reading this right, this changes the game so there are basically no more optimal build orders. This is a VERY WELCOME change that will completely change the beginning phases of games and stop certain civilizations from having huge unbalanced advantages.

Splitting the cities is great too. Anything is better than worker units that 90% of people automate anyway, and the 10% of people that don't are playing a very tedious game.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
22. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 20, 2016, 18:56 descender

The only bone I will pick is "in your 26 years of driving"... while you may not have caused an accident you can be damn sure there were times that you were inattentive, distracted or otherwise could have caused an accident if the situation was different. Confirmation bias in it's truest form. I know you think you haven't, but that is exactly the point. Fractions of a second here or there are all I'm talking about. You think you're paying attention, but you're singing a song or thinking about some shit at work.

The AI is never doing anything except spending 100% of it's time driving the car.

The goal of autonomous cars is not so people can sleep on the way to work, it's to automate every car on the road so that we can have travel speeds exceeding 100MPH and eliminate ALL traffic. You, as cautious as you may be, will never be able to keep up with an automated system and would be a liability to every other automated car around you. The in-between period where both drivers and driverless cars co-exist will be a nightmare, because the automated cars literally have to be programmed to anticipate every stupid thing a human driver could do before people will deem them "safe enough".

If they (somehow, magically) cut the entire fleet over in one shot to automated, nearly every traffic incident would be eliminated because all cars would be in constant communication and any developing incident with any individual vehicle could be accommodated nearly instantly. Car 00003346530016 blows a tire and the AI moves every car behind it out of that lane within a second of it happening.

Multi-car pile-ups become a thing of the past.

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 20, 2016, 17:20 descender

They will simply never be released to the public until the error rates are low. Those failures don't actually have to be all that low to be several magnitudes better than human drivers.

If only human drivers were held to the same standards. You say you wouldn't trust an AI car... I don't trust people.

At the very least the AI car is never going to be checking it's cellphone while driving a 2 ton missile into the back of a school bus. There are obviously ways for autonomy to fail, but they are dwarfed by all of the reasons a human doesn't pay 100% attention to driving 100% of the time.

I can accept failure of programming as a risk of using (early model) autonomous cars. These failure rates will be low, documentable, correctable and generally safer in the long run.
I can no longer accept other people on the road nearly killing me and my family because of their own inattentiveness, aggressiveness or lack of driving skills. Human driving ability will never change, every day they hand the keys to some new 16 year old schmuck that can now drive 60+MPH because he demonstrated the ability to park a car without hitting a curb.

Private ownership of autonomous cars will probably only last a few decades until they become another public utility, just like water/power/internet/etc. I see corporate fleets being the first widespread adaptation. Instead of giving people company cars or subsidizing public transportation, you'll buy a handful of autonomous cars to pick up and drop off your employees every day.

This comment was edited on Jun 20, 2016, 17:31.

3. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 20, 2016, 12:37 descender

Liability insurance as you know it will have to change completely to accommodate driverless cars.

Since there is no operator error, the car manufacturer of whichever car was "at fault" for the crash would be liable. Most crashes of automated cars are going to be software errors.

Once all cars are automated, car crashes will be so rare that it really isn't going to matter. People suck at driving and they are the only reason that the car insurance industry is what it is today.

45. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2016, 12:31 descender

people don't just drink a cup of insta-crazy
Some people absolutely do. Some people go through a traumatic experience and just break. Not all mental health issues are detectable beforehand and you need to stop pretending they are. Entirely too much of your argument is rooted in believing this is all 100% preventable through better detection. It isn't.

Will it help? Of course!
Is it the only thing that needs to be changed? Absolutely not.

The main issue is that detected or not, you can currently acquire massive amounts of firepower within minutes of deciding that reality doesn't suit you anymore.

things that could be changed to limit exposure and accessibility to cause such chaos

This is what I actually said. Limit their ability to CAUSE chaos... by not only improving the mental health system but also by putting common sense restrictions on gun ownership and purchase.

That way even if they aren't properly diagnosed with a mental illness and they still decide to be crazy one day, maybe it will take them longer than 7 minutes to acquire a semi-automatic weapon that can kill an entire room of people in 10 seconds.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 18, 2016, 23:11 descender

In Windows 7 you were not a real admin until you disabled UAC and magically got "real" admin privileges. In Win 8.1 you're pushed one step further - you need to disable UAC and then edit security policies. In Win 10 you may think you're admin, but your preferences do not matter, they can be reverted at any moment, and things will be done behind your back.

Most of the shit you post is crazy... but this is just hilariously wrong on multiple levels.

Stop using up all the tinfoil, some others here still need hats.

News Comments > PC Destiny Still Possible
55. Re: PC Destiny Still Possible Jun 18, 2016, 13:51 descender

When Halo 1 was released it basically had zero competition and that was a major reason for it's success and popularity. The epitomes of FPS-Story (Halflife) and FPS-Combat (UT/Q3) were both 2-3 years old at that point. Attempting to compare them is pretty pointless, especially given the rapid advancements in technology around that time period.

You could compare Halo 2 and HL2 (and maybe UT2k4), released in 2004... I'd still pick HL2 every time. HL2 mods CS:S/CS:GO and TF2 are still crazy popular to this day. UT2k4 multiplayer... enough said.

Halo 1-3 won the "console FPS war" in dorm rooms, their success entirely hinged around their multiplayer. Their campaigns got more convoluted and worse with every release... and even Halo 3 multiplayer still didn't really hold a candle to what Q3 Arena/UT were doing 8 years prior. If you think it did, you probably play a lot of console games.

Then Reach came out and Bungie/Halo you knew was dead.

More people would have a favorable opinion of the early Halo franchise if all of the ports to PC weren't such terrible shit.

1983 Comments. 100 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo