Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for descender

Real Name descender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/id/descender
Signed On Feb 24, 2011, 19:58
Total Comments 2426 (Senior)
User ID 56185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Destiny 2 PC Hype?
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 30, 2017, 12:53 descender

Oh boy, I can't wait until they port this casual console garbage over to PC! I am so hype! Rolleyes

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: GOG Galaxy Leaves Beta Mar 28, 2017, 22:28 descender

Even if we were to attempt to build a space elevator it is unlikely we would actually get everyone to agree on which way was "up".  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 28, 2017, 12:31 descender

No one tested to see if my monitor could handle the stress of displaying that awful orange color you've branded yourselves in ARS... I'm suing.

causing data loss, loss of revenue, and incurring costs to repair the system

This is exactly why enterprise versions of windows exist in their own update channel. If your revenue stream relies on a retail version of Windows that you administer yourself then I have no tears for you.

News Comments > Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Free; Mirage: Arcane Warfare Closed Beta
18. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 28, 2017, 11:42 descender

I had a good time with this last night, but there were a lot of veteran players on new accounts stomping the lower rank servers so maybe it'll be easier to get a hold on the game in a few days once they level out of them again.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
21. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 28, 2017, 11:00 descender

Asmodai, do you want to know why no one is debating that parents should be more involved and careful about letting their kids use the internet? The article was literally about that... instructing how to use the content control filters on youtube. Are you too busy being "so fucking brilliant" to even read it and realize that?

What Beamer actually called you out for is your propensity to label people as snowflakes and SJW's in order to make yourself feel better... and that basically being a giant red flag for an opinion being about as deep as a puddle of water. He couldn't have been more accurate. Example #2: Timmeh

So please go on and keep rambling about exactly what the article was intended to address. You've been to this page 3 times now and still not accidentally read the thing you are commenting on. No one is laughing at you... I promise.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 28, 2017, 10:46 descender

That bill isn't that strange, but the negligence in leaving the broken guardrail there should probably warrant a pass.

Don't ever run into a telephone pole... aside from losing that battle horribly, they are way more expensive than that guardrail.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 27, 2017, 17:01 descender

Yeah, this article is quite poor and has almost no information about this (the article is 2 days old).

So why didn't the auton swerve away at the last second?

It did swerve out of the way, that's why it rolled over. There was no collision and the driver that cut off the Uber isn't dead because the autonomous car did such a good job of getting itself out of the way. Too good, as it were, as it rolled itself over... but it appears to have actually prevented a head-on collision caused by the human driver.

This idea that "a human might have seen it coming" is just flat out wrong. A human driver would have much more likely just plowed straight into the person that cut them off... as happens every day.

News out of Uber today is that they've already reinstated the autonomous driving program. They must not believe there was any fault with their car.

News Comments > Afghanistan '11 Released
3. Re: GOG Galaxy Leaves Beta Mar 24, 2017, 09:38 descender

The amount of pure propaganda on display here is just astounding.

"Help to build a democratic nation"

Yeah... who the hell was doing that in Afghanistan?!

News Comments > New Overwatch Reporting Options on PTR
4. Re: GOG Galaxy Leaves Beta Mar 23, 2017, 14:23 descender

League of Legends used reporting flags like these to influence quickplay matchmaking and throw people into a "toxic players queue"... maybe they have something similar planned.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: GOG Galaxy Leaves Beta Mar 22, 2017, 19:37 descender

That role was easily the peak moment of Chris Tucker's career.

https://youtu.be/bgo0CDL6bd0 is a much more accurate version of the aria.

News Comments > MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs?
65. Re: GOG Galaxy Leaves Beta Mar 22, 2017, 19:04 descender

Unless something has changed that I missed... USB3 only works via 3rd party drivers, W7 has no innate support for it. The creator tool that you would need to use to install W7 from a USB3.0 port is made by Intel. MS provides no support for installing or running anything via USB3 in W7. Intel provides the drivers/support for that because USB3 is really an external feature on the chipset... just like nVidia provides support for video cards etc. Vendors usually support deprecated OS's far beyond their official EOL.

The reason I brought it up is because many people keep claiming that CPU's are handled the same as every other piece of hardware, but it isn't the case. New CPU's will always rely on kernel updates to the OS that MS has to provide to support all of their new "features" and instruction sets properly. These are generally internal features on the CPU itself and are hard-coded into windows. The CPU's will probably "work" without these updates because a majority of CPU code is backward compatible and standardized, but they will be crippled in some way and not be running as fast or as stable as they should.

If Intel/AMD were able to support the CPU's themselves with driver updates then there would be no reason for MS to care what hardware you were using, new or old, because it wouldn't cost them anything to provide any support for it. Continually supporting deprecated software is basically throwing money in a hole that you already intended to put a lid on.

What MS said here was basically that they aren't updating the Windows 7 kernal to support any new CPU's anymore. Since they aren't supported they can't guarantee that future updates will not break something with them, so you can't have any more updates because they aren't testing them to make sure that they won't burn your house down.

Yes, they want to push people to upgrade to their new OS, but there is also a large pile of fairly obvious reasons from a business and technical perspective.

63. Re: GOG Galaxy Leaves Beta Mar 22, 2017, 17:30 descender

Their failure to cut off updates for XP is part of the reason why it lingered on for so long. They aren't looking to make the mistake of allowing the business world to take 5 years to get on the latest OS again. I don't know why they chose now, probably because they actually have the ability to do it now. The reason XP "worked" with later hardware was due to extended enterprise contracts, iit didn't just "magically work"... they have to update it to fulfill contracts. They no longer have to do this because of the well-timed EOL cutoffs to 7/8. I'm not missing your point, I understand it and I'm denying it's legitimacy altogether.

You are still completely missing my point, though. Who are you to tell MS what they can and can not support with their own software? And how long they should do it? No one seems to have an answer to that one, no matter how many times I ask. Is it a shitty decision? Maybe... to you... Is there anything that you can do about it but whine and kick your feet? Nope.

You claim that anyone who disagrees with MS are fucking idiots

Uh, no. I literally said that if you ignored their obvious and blatant warnings and still bought the CPU expecting it to work... THEN you are an idiot. They only did exactly what they said they were going to do. How else would you describe a person that ignores that sort of warning?

which is the consumer's choice to make, always was, always will be
No. No. No. This could not be farther from the truth and you guys have to stop saying it. It was never the consumers choice to decide what hardware MS has to support and in what OS. It's the consumers choice to use the OS that MS has provided... or not. That's it. That's your choice. They don't support NVMe or USB3 in Windows 7, but I don't hear you guys crying about that... so this obsession with the CPU support is just a typical self-centered mentality.

Of course it isn't for "the greater good" of you as a retail consumer... why would it be? Nothing they do is. As a home user, you are a piddly shit little slice of MS's overall business model. You get as little as they have to provide you and nothing more because you don't pay for it. It's a decision only made for "the greater good" of MS and their ability to support their own software and you fail to understand (willfully I think) the reasons why they would do it.

Yeah, it's a shitty arbitrary decision. Yeah, it is partially to force people to upgrade... I'm not denying that... it was always going to be an arbitrary cutoff and the EOL schedule makes it abundantly obvious what they are really up to. I'm just not acting the spoiled child demanding that they change their decision because I didn't ignore their warnings about new CPU's being unsupported from OVER A YEAR AGO.

There is not a single person that should be caught off guard by this announcement.

News Comments > GOG Galaxy Leaves Beta
16. Re: GOG Galaxy Leaves Beta Mar 22, 2017, 15:44 descender

Hosting themselves also carries bandwidth and hosting costs, not sure what % of sales that is, but it's probably something 5-10% range.

The main problem I see with hosting yourself is that at some point your revenue stream ends. Steam will still be hosting your files long after you've stopped making enough money to cover your monthly costs... but people who bought your game want to be able to download it 10 years from now long after that revenue stream has dried up. If you are a developer with a plan to release multiple games on a schedule with funding provided up-front by a publisher then this isn't a terribly big deal. if you are an indie dev on a shoestring budget than any fuck-up during the pre-launch process will likely sink your company.

I tried explaining this the last time this conversation came up. If Steam's cut is truly only a percentage of profits then it's easy to see why someone would pay for that. That is a cut of actual sales made. Not sales you hope to make.

When you host yourself you have to eat all of the up-front cost of not only building the solution but maintaining it "forever". If you go buy/build up all of the infrastructure necessary to host your own game and then you don't sell enough copies to cover the initial costs... you've just fucked yourself by being too greedy about how much of a cut Steam was taking.

There must be some sort of flat yearly fee attached to Steam hosting and/or a limitation on how long they will let you stay on there without making any sales... otherwise, they would just be hosting every game forever.

News Comments > GOG Galaxy Leaves Beta
12. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 22, 2017, 13:22 descender

Bandwith is cheap and so is everything else you mentioned. 30 points for essentially doing nothing is outrageous.

It obviously isn't. If a 30% cut was "outrageous" then no developer would host anything on Steam. If the "free marketing" and other things aren't worth the money... why are so many people so obviously willing to it? Reality does not seem to agree with your assertion that hosting things in-house is cheaper than hosting them on Steam.

Honestly... how do you sit there thinking you're the only one that has this figured this out and every marketing and accounting department for every developer on Steam is just "full of morons". Get over yourself.

I'm certain there is a "number of copies sold" and an "amount time expected to host" where it makes far more sense to pay 30% for Valve's infrastructure than to provide your own... and you probably reach it after a few thousand copies.

Why do think Steam is worth billions?
Because they are offering a service to developers for cheaper than it actually costs for the developers to run themselves. Why do you think they are worth billions? It doesn't matter how much profit Valve is making if the end cost is still cheaper for the developer than doing it themselves. THAT is why they are so ungodly popular... not because they decided to take 30% instead of 25% or whatever random number you deem acceptable.

No, if I was selling games I wouldn't use Steam either.

GOG literally takes the same 30% cut and offers a fraction of the service that Steam does. Where is this magical place that you are going to host and sell your games for a better cost?

I dropped using mobile payments for my biz because they charged 3% per transaction. Same reason you see more and more businesses just dealing in cash. Why would I pay them a total percentage for a single transaction that literally costs them pennies - even fractional cents in large enough volumes.
You pay the percentage to make sales via the methods your customers want to pay with. If you don't accept the forms of payment your customers want to use, they will go somewhere else. Mobile payments aren't such a big deal yet, so it's easier to brush those sales aside. Do you also not accept credit cards? Those fees aren't any lower. You are going to sit there and tell us that you've never had to turn away a customer because they had no cash on them? The only things I can think of that I have actually paid for in cash in the past year are food trucks and... marijuana. All cash businesses have to be extremely good at what they are doing to survive in todays business world. Maybe that kind of stuff flies out in the boonies of Canada or whereever the heck you are from... but american suburbs aren't having it. Unless you are literally the best at what your business does in your town people will go for convenience every time.

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 2017, 13:40.

News Comments > Overwatch Adds New Hero
8. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 22, 2017, 11:09 descender

The custom game browser is no excuse for not being able to simply tell quickplay which maps or modes I want to be dropped into.

There is definitely a reason. If they ran different quickplay queues for every different set of maps selected you'd have to wait forever to fill a match with people that also chose your exact list of maps and modes. Instead of one quickplay queue with thousands of people in it, you'd have thousands of queues with a handful of people in each one. That, or they would have to find you a new group of players in between every single match. Neither of those good options.

I've not had the matchmaking problems that you all seem to have... but I am constantly chatting on vox, switching to classes we actually need and playing as a team player... and playing with friends... so maybe my style lends to a smoother experience. I don't "main" any particular character because that isn't conducive to a good Overwatch experience. I do play a fair bit of solo ranked though... If you think for one second "no one else is communicating so I won't either" then you are being part of the problem too :p I find that even if people aren't responding to me... even just talking "at" them is helpful in bringing better situational awareness to a team. After a map or two if I get zero positive feedback, I drop out and find another group. It also helps to find some enjoyment in playing other than winning. I am usually happy enough knowing I did what I could do to help. Sure, I get frustrated too... but then I just smoke more.

Just like with MOBA's, the team sizes in OW are too small to overcome one really bad player. What you guys really need to do is find some friends to play with to lower the chances of getting matched up with the bad ones. Grouping up with people throughout your session is probably the single biggest thing that will help you move up out of Bronze/Silver. You really aren't going to find consistent competitive play until you hit at least Gold rank.

Bronze/Silver are full of people that think they should be in higher ranks while simultaneously not doing any of the things that would actually get them there. They also try to force the "meta" on teams that aren't grouping up properly in the first place which is just setting up for failure.

59. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 22, 2017, 10:46 descender

Kabylake IS skylake on the SAME drivers, SAME mobos, SAME platform and its ALREADY supported, just with a higher clockspeed.

No, it literally isn't. This is the incorrect assumption that is leading you all down the wrong path. If you have to start your arguments here you've already missed the boat. Even if it was the same CPU that doesn't mean they can just assume it works every time with every patch, they would still have to dedicate a team to testing that particular hardware every time they do an update. Who is paying for that?

You are also making this uninformed assumption about ONE particular CPU. What about Ryzen? What about the next Intel CPU next year or the year after? And every other CPU that is going to be released before 2020? Who decides when a piece of hardware is "different enough" to allow them to drop support for it? You?! How do you think this is even remotely a reasonable request?

You simply will not have full hardware support on ANY OS up to the day it dies. It would be impossible to provide such support. MS gave PLENTY OF NOTICE to consumers about this decision and if you purchased a Kaby/Ryen CPU expecting to use it in Windows 7 then again... you're a fucking idiot.

It's not MS's choice to make which OS we want to run and take risks with regarding the updates.
Wrong again. It is literally only their choice.

It's my own goddamn choice if I want to run windows 95 or 98 or XP or whatever OS on whichever CPU I please
This is the first semi-correct thing in your entire post. Yes, you have that choice... just like they have the choice to support their own software with updates, for how long, and what hardware to support.

You don't seem to understand that "supporting" a CPU doesn't mean "just make sure it turns on" for some random home user. They have to be able to guarantee that it will work across all business applications and environments if they are going to "officially" support it. They are liable for all sorts of damages if they aren't careful, so "just let me install it if I want to" is literally not an option. It isn't your risk to take, it is their risk and their liability.

They aren't "lying", they simply don't have to give any other reason other than "they don't want to support it". That is the only reason they have actually given. You are the ones pushing this fanciful conspiracy that they "could easily support it but refuse to" with zero evidence.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Launches
65. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 21, 2017, 21:39 descender

Two quality posts. Can't wait to see what else you've got to offer...  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
9. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 21, 2017, 21:27 descender

If I buy something on amazon, is my local town getting any money?

Maybe. Some states are now forcing Amazon to collect sales tax at the point of sale. In other states you are supposed to declare all online purchases on your taxes and then pay sales tax on them.

Apple is dodging taxes through shell companies. They sell their own iPhone to their shell company in NZ at the regular retail price ($600) and then sell it for $600 and declare $0 in profit from the sale. What should be happening is Apple NZ reporting their actual cost (say $400) and sale ($600) and $200 profit, but they are shielding the actual cost from the NZ company.

54. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 21, 2017, 20:58 descender

Sure, it will probably work "just fine" most of the time... but what if some future update breaks something on some future CPU that comes out just before the 2020 cutoff? Is MS also forced to update for that CPU and any bugs that crop up for years after? At what point is MS allowed to make decisions for supporting their own software?

In my opinion, this move has little to do with home users at all. They actually did try to cut off updates with Skylake if you will remember. MS actually made an announcement last January saying that "in 18 months they would cut off Skylake support, and wouldn't support Kaby at all". They didn't announce it early enough and many W8 enterprise machines were already sold with Skylake CPU's, so they ended up having to fully support Skylake until EOL anyway.

MS fully cut off OEM sales of W7/8 last year. All new business PC's with one of these CPU's in them are now sold running W10. To me, this is the single biggest reason why you are seeing this push from MS now... right or wrong. They have a clean break on the enterprise side from the old OS's and the new CPU's and they are going to take advantage of it. Hardware support is the first thing to go away before EOL anyway, and we are past that date for W7 so it was going to get "feature locked" soon. It's far easier to perform those EOL security updates with a reduced team after you lock down what hardware you are actually supporting. Anything that isn't directly enterprise related gets a severe backburner. This is a double whammy of EOL situations for home users.

They aren't "lying" as that ex-MS drama queen would have you believe. Anyone that bought a Kaby processor expecting it to work in W7 is basically a fucking idiot. They literally told you this was coming over a year ago. They simply don't want to deal with supporting their old OS's anymore and they won't if they don't have to. It couldn't possibly be more clear, there is no surprise or hidden agenda... they are telling you way ahead of time that there will be no support for any future CPU releases for those OS's. You can't allow home users to install those same patches without dedicating a team of people to testing them. Without extended support contracts from enterprise paying for those updates... they aren't coming.

It doesn't have to be a conspiracy, they simply don't want to support those CPU's because it isn't profitable and they don't have to. They aren't saying it won't work, they are saying they won't support it. There is a huge difference there. A lot of software is actually cutting off support for pre-W10 with their latest versions, but it doesn't get reported that much. AutoCAD is a big one. At the very least... the writing is on the wall for W7. It isn't just MS pushing that.

It's bizarre to me that so many people here would want to legally force MS to update their software. Should they have to legally support every single new piece of hardware until 2020? Who determines what hardware to enforce updates for? Who decided that the 2020 date was "long enough" in the first place? It would seem there is a lot of self-serving bullshit in this thread... with no regard at all for how a company should actually have to act supporting a product they no longer sell. They can't just "support all hardware forever in every OS", so there has to be a cutoff point and MS have to be the ones to make that call. Whenever they decide to make that call someone is going to be upset... it just happened to be now. Don't say they didn't warn you.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
17. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 21, 2017, 15:33 descender

Obvious (nonsense) reason: The TSA doesn't run the security checkpoints in all of the other countries and can't verify what is being placed in the cabin of planes.

Tinfoil reason: This is a Muslim ban via a thousand cuts, essentially making air travel to the US inconvenient for people in those countries.

My brother works for the TSA... he says their real focus is on people transporting money/drugs. They rarely ever focus on explosives in their training. They are truly no more than a jobs program used to get the American public accustomed with screening and checkpoints.

2426 Comments. 122 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo