Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Fort Collins, CO 03/24

Regularly scheduled events

User information for descender

Real Name descender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/id/descender
Signed On Feb 24, 2011, 19:58
Total Comments 2318 (Senior)
User ID 56185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 9, 2017, 15:49 descender

As a utility it would raise prices, destroy competition and innovation. What utilities have competition?

It would not raise prices. It would quite literally do the opposite because you wouldn't be feeding Comcasts pockets as much as you would pay yearly in taxes. Also, for the same reason your electric rates don't triple in the summertime, better oversight and regulation also stops things like internet fast lanes from becoming a reality.

We need people to stop pretending like there is "competition" amongst broadband providers that is somehow holding down prices. There is already little to no competition. Having 2 choices doesn't really qualify. If you walked into a Best Buy and there were only 2 different TV's on the shelf that worked in your area you wouldn't call that a highly competitive industry.

Making it a public utility doesn't magically take it all away from the corporations who built it, it merely subsidizes them to maintain and deploy it and regulates prices changes. It makes providing internet service a less attractive industry for corporations who would seek to gouge consumers. It forces industries to do what they do better to increase profits because they can't directly control the rates they charge. This fosters innovation much more than matching the price of one other regional competitor.

We are already subsidizing these corporations without reaping any benefit from it. It's time to change that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 9, 2017, 13:35 descender

We've got thunder and lightning along with the blizzard here in RI. Maybe... 4-5 inches down so far.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 9, 2017, 12:20 descender

Facebook was desperately looking for the next social expansion which explains their interest.

I imagine Facebook would have been considerably more successful had they simply launched glasses that allowed facebook live/video chat etc a la google glasses instead of pressing VR.

It's such a frustrating conversation because we all know we want it and we all thought we'd have made this technological leap it by now. Miniaturization is always the last thing to come in technological progress though, and VR needs it desperately.

3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 9, 2017, 12:07 descender

IMO the biggest stumbling block for VR is that it is still essentially 2 full purchases for most people. Something to power it and the headset itself.

Until the base-model consoles and mid-range laptops are all strong enough to power a VR headset or the headset itself contains all the power to drive it... it's simply not going to gain enough traction to be worth developing on. VR also is getting little help from the movie industry because live action full VR movies are going to be nearly impossible to work out. Right now all you get are little "VR experiences" which are basically fluff. At least 3D had a simple conversion from Hollywood going for it, and even that refuses to go mainstream in the home.

VR manufacturers have also failed to bring in a single game developer to take VR seriously right now and help sell their product launch to fanboys. That's odd to me. I think someone (or maybe everyone aside from some enthusiast consumers) knows that this new "gen1" isn't going anywhere and they are all hedging their bets.

I think VR and AR are both inevitable parts of the digital experience, not some fad... it's just not ready yet.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 9, 2017, 11:46 descender

You can find unbiased third-party coverage maps freely available online. T-Mobile on average simply has worse rural coverage in most areas but it something that they have been working on the past 2-3 years. I was wrong in my first post, T-Mobile seems to have been rated on par with AT&T this past year. They are still both chasing Verizon. Apparently, Tennessee isn't one of those areas. I'm glad that works out for you.

I am guessing that in order to grow their rural business T-Mobile specifically targetted some areas where Verizon and AT&T already had poor service.

News Comments > Take-Two Financials
7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 9, 2017, 10:09 descender

The year that they sold the majority of these 75million copies (2014) their net profit covers all of these "losses".

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/ttwo/financials

Basically every game developers balance sheet looks like this. You take losses in development years and profit the year you release... not 3-4 years after you release.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 9, 2017, 09:58 descender

T-Mobile, Verizon Now Tied in Network Speed, Coverage

in cities

Every goddamn cell provider works "in cities". It's rural coverage and speed that matter and T-Mobile is horrendous compared to ATT/Verizon for that.

26. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 9, 2017, 09:42 descender

Some of you might do well to take a sociology course and better understand the systems that trap people into poverty. You can't choose to be born rich or poor. It's not always as simple as wanting to have a better life.

This entire thread reads about as tone deaf as republicans referring to all rioters as "thugs" or southerners that use words like "coon" on a regular basis. You can choose not to incorporate racist triggers in your day-to-day speech, or you can choose to be an asshole.

When a person has a history of referring to people as thugs and criminals you don't have to guess exactly which time they are being racist. When the topic is "racially disparate sentencing laws" you should know to be more careful with your words.

The only reason Bollaert's sentence is "so long" is because he was charged with 27 counts of identity theft and extortion. If he was charged with 1 count he would only have received ~8-12months. If you were charged with 27 murders the sentence would obviously be far longer. Why does this have to be explained?

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
6. Report on comment 1120508 Feb 7, 2017, 15:21 descender

I'm certain you could come up with a C) if you misread the headline of the article for a 3rd time.  

71. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 31, 2017, 08:46 descender

that he's impervious to guilt trips or shaming tactics

Was this entire post /S? It's really hard to tell because it's so insane.

Glossing over that you can't seem to discuss liberals without feebly mocking them, which is quite childish and embarrassing... You honestly think the guy that spends hours responding to awards speeches and comedians and twitter posts and whines about crowd sizes in front of veteran memorials is "impervious to guilt trips and shaming"? I mean, that is just blindly ignorant to the reality of what is going on around you.

This guy is surgically cutting away at the very foundations of the globalist treason that nearly destroyed the West

How is putting the largest global corporations in charge of all of the government agencies "cutting away at globalist treason"?! Tariffs and trade wars aren't going to bring jobs back to the US, stop believing the lie.

because of how entrenched the neocons and looney libs are in their respective idiotic positions.
You realize that statements like this only destroy your credibility and any chance of rational conversation? They don't make you seem edgy or smart... they make you sound like an uninformed partisan hack.

It's only terrifying that you could possibly be excited about what he is doing and plans to do to the country.

It will be an "interesting time to be alive" when smart people rule the world. Maybe someday conservatives will realize that education and facts aren't their enemy. Until then, hold on to your butts.

It is incredible how many people are willfully aligning themselves with this white supremacist regime. That kind of shit used to embarrass people, now you're all proud of it.

This comment was edited on Jan 31, 2017, 09:03.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 30, 2017, 17:04 descender

TBH I don't find any of the arguments on that metabunk site to be very convincing. He takes an extremely unscientific look at counter-pointing the evidence that AE911 has actually put forth and basically doesn't prove anything more than a person in the street yelling and pointing their finger. Half of his counterpoints are flat out ignoring eyewitness testimony or repeating himself.

I've seen far more convincing evidence (heck I've seen more convincing debunk videos) that there are problems and questions that need to be addressed regarding 911 than any debunking site has ever been able to provide.

Passports aren't fireproof, buildings don't collapse at free fall speed, trillions of dollars don't just disappear overnight, novice pilots can't perform advanced aerial maneuvers with giant commercial airliners... plane crashes leave debris... concrete steel lattice structures never collapsed due to a fire, except for that one time it happened three times in one afternoon for 2 different reasons? Plenty of problems that have no obvious answers, far more than anyone has been able to come up with excuses for..

You can sit in one of two buckets when it comes to 911. You either believe the Bush administration and the 911 Commission (who was busy lying to us about Iraq WMD's at the time) and their heavily redacted report that didn't even address key problems or even mention WTC7... or you believe that they may not be telling us the whole truth. There really is no in between.

Every single aspect of every 911 conspiracy you've ever heard don't have to be true for there to be problems with the official story. The worst thing that ever happened to the 911 Truth movement was Alex Jones getting involved and destroying any chance it might have had of gaining momentum.

I do find it sadly amusing that people who fancy themselves skeptical about political parties, elections, "the government" etc can be so easily led astray. The government is apparently lying to us about eeeeeverything else... just not 9/11? :p

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 30, 2017, 16:35 descender

What are the benefits to public research?

Unbiased, not-for-profit research. It isn't a 'benefit', eliminating profit-motivated bias is the single defining feature of public funding.

Also... Research is really expensive. The only reason we know stuff like climate change is a real thing is because of publicly funded research. Otherwise, you'd just have to take BigOil's word for it.

22. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 30, 2017, 16:03 descender

I have literally LOL'd at this whole thread.

penetrating rays by Major League Baseball

Is that a Simpsons reference? It must be! http://www.simpsonsworld.com/video/317617219568

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 30, 2017, 15:36 descender

Sure sounds to me like you don't actually have a backup system if the next backup renders the others useless :p

The Cockrell Hill Police Department lost video evidence and a cache of digital documents after hackers invaded the departmentís computer system last month.
Yet the entire rest of the article goes to great lengths to explain how "hackers" had absolutely nothing to do with it.

I anticipate the obvious follow-up article where they dismiss all of the cases they are now lacking evidence for. /s Hahaha... Who am I kidding? We all know they aren't going to do that.

How much longer are they going to try to peddle technological ignorance as news? There was never any threat of a hack here, the only threat was the person who was using a police computer with open access to evidence browsing the internet. The author seems to be fully aware of all of this and printed the "lie" anyway. Why let them off the hook with this unwarranted speculation about "hackers"?

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 30, 2017, 14:32 descender

Never buy the cheap stuff, Reynolds Wrap or bust.

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2017, 13:15 descender

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2017, 12:43 descender

He already basically is 'the best' by any metrics, it's only easier to make excuses and arguments against him before he wins again. I don't really like that "winning the superbowl" has so much of an influence on a QB's legacy... but that is just the way it is with sports.

I hate Brady more than anyone else here
Now this is a discussion worth having! I currently live in RI so I hate him closer than you do! I get to remind people weekly about ugg boots and deflated balls :p Unfortunately, they get to remind me that I'm a Jets fan.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2017, 12:05 descender

I feel like Brady is hard to analyze historically against other QB's because the system he has been in has always been so sound. It's the only factor we can't eliminate because Matt Cassell was able to step in and not skip a beat for his time... so we know the system is strong. :p

Manning was the epitome of what a quarterback can be, IM, partly because I didn't get to watch a lot of Marino I imagine. You could take him out of his team and put him on any other team and they are instantly better. Brady excels at reading defenses but mechanically I feel like he has always been a bit behind the other elite QB's of this era.

I've always felt that Rodgers is much more like Manning than Brady, but this was the first season Rodgers led the league in TD's and has never led in yards. Rodgers has a looooong way to go before he enters the conversation of "greatest ever".

55. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2017, 11:37 descender

You posted that the immigration bans were the same, they aren't. You made the assumptions about the refugee program being untrustworthy. You decided to turn "this ban is different than that ban" into "they can't be trusted anyway".

Anyone reading this (or anything else political you've posted) knows that you are anti-immigration. Now you want to try to pretend like that isn't you? LOL... you are fucking hilarious.

51. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2017, 11:26 descender

And now my experiences don't matter? You are a treat.

No, I simply don't care why you don't like immigration, because it has nothing to do with this conversation. Your personal experiences policing immigrants have nothing to do with facts about how the refugee program actually works or the details behind the immigration and visa bans.

If I wanted to know how muslim immigrants feel or how they are assimilating after the fact... I still wouldn't ask you. I'd ask a DHS employee that actually deals with refugees and not just people they assume are refugees because they look and speak funny.

2318 Comments. 116 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo