Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for descender

Real Name descender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/id/descender
Signed On Feb 24, 2011, 19:58
Total Comments 2256 (Senior)
User ID 56185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Diablo III Season 9 Underway Jan 19, 2017, 22:36 descender

When you release content in bunches you only get small windows to market and advertise your show to hold public interest. Broadcast TV still outpaces streaming by millions of viewers per show. Netflix shows come and go like the wind. Network TV shows dominate talk shows and media for months at a time. It may be an inevitable change with smaller media companies to try to draw in the streaming binge-er crowd, but huge networks like HBO probably won't ever cower down to the rush release methods of Netflix. There is no sense in it at all from a monetary standpoint.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Diablo III Season 9 Underway Jan 19, 2017, 21:12 descender

Releasing easily digestible portions of it on a schedule allows for more people that can be expected to have consumed it. When you release a book it takes some people a day to read it, it takes some people a month, even if they both bought it the day it released. It takes everyone the same amount of time to watch a 30-60min television show but putting 8+ hours aside for an entire season of content on the day of release is unrealistic to most people.

Airing the show at a certain date and time also makes an "event" out of the airing. You don't sit in a room with other people and read books together. I mean, you could... just sniff each other's farts in silence?

News Comments > etc., etc.
10. Re: Diablo III Season 9 Underway Jan 19, 2017, 16:47 descender

I don't think you read far enough. This is what they did wrong:
Also, we're working on several other games that are definitely interesting, and if your review or preview of Dead Effect 2 is very negative, you won't receive any keys from us in the future.

That is threatening reviewers to not give negative scores, and certainly not a translation or language misunderstanding.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
15. Re: Diablo III Season 9 Underway Jan 19, 2017, 16:43 descender

If it's a laptop I would not mess with it

That's actually a pretty good caveat. Make sure other people have successfully upgraded your laptop model first.

2. Re: Diablo III Season 9 Underway Jan 19, 2017, 16:40 descender

I think Netflix's "binge release" is terrible, and I hope no one else adopts this stupidity. It entirely eliminates any social aspect to watching their shows. I like rewatching shows during the week and discussing them with people as they progress.

HBO: "Did you see the new game of thrones?" "yeah blahblah was really cool, what do you think will happen with x y z?" "i think... blah blah blah" and the conversation continues because everyone is on the same page.

Netflix: "Did you see House of Cards?" "Yeah, I'm two episodes in". "Oh I watched it all the day it released". End of conversation.

I suppose the binge watching method is great if you have no friends and work alone? Otherwise... no thanks.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
13. Re: Diablo III Season 9 Underway Jan 19, 2017, 16:25 descender

Windows 10 runs faster than Windows 7 on basically any hardware (so did Windows 8.1) and uses less RAM overall. You shouldn't be worried about upgrading that old computer to 10 at all.

There hasn't actually been any reason at all to use Windows 7 since the 8.1 release other than the start menu. Except for the tin foil of course.

News Comments > Diablo III Season 9 Underway
7. Re: Diablo III Season 9 Underway Jan 19, 2017, 14:27 descender

The seasons contain unique legendaries and sets that offer new playstyles for classes, and some people like a competitive leaderboard. After the season your new stuff rolls over to the regular realm so you can use all of your new toys.

That seems like a spiraling black-hole of repetition a fairly standard ladder system that extends the life of the game for those that want to involve themselves in it.

This is all purely optional, so I really don't understand what you guys are complaining about. Don't like repetitive things? Maybe you shouldn't be expecting a purely repetitive genre of video games to change that? It's pretty amusing that one of the biggest complaints about D3 was the lack of permanent choice (essentially the desire to start over to try new builds) but when they provide a system similar to that, no one actually wants it :p

@slick - Rifts (randomly generated dungeons) were added years ago at this point. D3 today is basically nothing like the D3 you played in the first 2 months.

News Comments > etc., etc.
7. Re: etc., etc. Jan 19, 2017, 10:01 descender

You paragons of knowledge and humour

Today's episode of "small details that matter" brought to you by "why make it up when you can look it up" and "hey, a reference chart!".

In Mass Effect lore (in-game), the "mass effect" uses electrical current to change the mass of element zero.

In the medical field, a "mass effect" is the effect of the growth of a tumor on the rest of the body.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
32. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 18, 2017, 19:02 descender

Treason is treason, there is no grey line. When you release classified information to a foreign govt and entity. that is treason.

OK, well... Snowden didn't even do that by your definition. Only Manning did.

Glad you found one more way to hate on Obama though, you'll be pretty bored come Saturday.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
27. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 18, 2017, 14:50 descender

I'd argue that in some ways Snowden deserves a pardon more than Manning. I don't really approve of the way Manning decided to release classified documents to a foreign hacking network. I know that they "tried to go to the press first" but in my eyes that doesn't excuse the reckless way they released the documents.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
18. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 18, 2017, 14:13 descender

but the expectation level for 3 has risen to the point that it can never be fulfilled.

What expectation? All we really want is for them to finish the damn story. No one is even asking for a ground breaking FPS anymore, we had just originally thought that's what we were getting because of the delay.

I definitely do not have any desire for them to sell off the IP or outsource the development of it, though. I can wait.

Why does it matter how long it takes for them to release it? When they want to make it and it's done... great. Why would anyone want them to rush or release a game they aren't passionate about making?

We don't need Half-Assed-Life 3. Of that I am certain.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 16, 2017, 13:38 descender

Still tied for second in our Pro Football Playoff Pool, as the only game I picked wrong so far was the Giants

We're in worse shape than it seems, all of those teams with 9 points behind us that have 2 active picks are technically in a better position.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 16, 2017, 10:31 descender

Osweiler does OK, best you can expect behind that offensive line. No running game really makes it easy for teams to double up on Hopkins.

Can't believe the Steelers got away with that win. Chiefs offense was just too weak to put the foot down. it is incredible that Alex Smith and his Noodle arm play as well as they do in the NFL. Cowboys probably should have won too, but took way too long to get it going in their own house.

Pack/Falcons should be a fun shootout. If the GB defense forces a FG in this game (forget a punt) it will be a huge success. I'm really pulling for one of these teams to win the SuperBowl. I'm taking Atlanta here, their home field has suddenly become a huge advantage and the Pack are considerably easier to handle without a healthy Jordy Nelson.

Pats/Steelers won't be fun at all if yesterday's Steelers show up. Pats should win this easily, nothing could make me sadder. At least there will be plenty of cheap shots from the Steelers D to keep it entertaining.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
22. Re: Into the Black Jan 13, 2017, 16:03 descender

It's pretty public knowledge that Breath of the Wild was originally developed as a Wii U game. There have even been leaked images showing that both versions of the game are the exact same size.

You can believe whatever fantasy you choose about it, but the information is out there. To me it's incredibly disappointing to shell out $300 for a system that runs the same exact game as the old system with the same graphics and capabilities. This is exactly what they did with Twilight Princess, so they will have to do something different this time to convince me.

They lost the benefit of the doubt because of what they have actually done in the past.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
20. Re: Into the Black Jan 13, 2017, 15:45 descender

Slick, the gamecube version of TP released a month after the Wii version... exactly like they are doing again here. You might want to check your "chronology of events" details.

They were not designed for the new systems, they are ports and they were intentionally delayed on the older system to help sell the new one. Skyward Sword was the Zelda game actually developed on and for the Wii.

I don't know what the hell they are thinking here... no part of this new system appeals to me (as a rabid nintendo fanboy) and that's going to be a huge problem for them.

A ported Zelda again, a ported Mario Kart... and no signs of life for Kirby, Donkey Kong, Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero, Mario Party, Smash brothers... it's like they aren't even trying.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 13, 2017, 11:03 descender

People are very aware of the deportation numbers and have been since 2010. The numbers are also blown out of proportion, mostly because the media doesn't understand that "deportation" isn't actually a thing anymore. Congress changed the definition for "deportation" in the 90's to include both people removed from the country and anyone denied entry to the US. Now when the media reports on "deportation" you have no idea which number you are actually reading because the numbers are actually classified under "removals" and "exclusions".  

6. Re: Morning MetaMooks Jan 6, 2017, 17:51 descender

Someone here certainly sounds desperate for attention... unfortunately...

How could a video archive of things Trump actually said be "biased"?

"How dare you quote me! That guy can't be trusted!"

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
8. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 5, 2017, 16:19 descender

Yeah? You read the classified report that was only just read to the president today that no one else has actually seen?

Thanks for the heads up! We wouldn't want any actual evidence to get in the way of your speculation.

Who the hell do you think you are fooling?

News Comments > Diablo III Anniversary Patch
12. Re: Diablo III Anniversary Patch Jan 5, 2017, 15:16 descender

omgomgomgomg really? Oh i have to actually fire this up when I get home now, that blur was so annoying.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 5, 2017, 15:11 descender

Ooooh goodie! Unsourced anonymous Zerohedge articles are the best source of information. Rolleyes

You realize that population density is a thing right? No, of course you don't... because you just linked this retarded article about how "Trumps America" is where no one lives. Good show.

2256 Comments. 113 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo