Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for descender

Real Name descender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/id/descender
Signed On Feb 24, 2011, 19:58
Total Comments 1984 (Pro)
User ID 56185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 26, 2016, 16:49 descender

In what economics class did they teach you that jobs are a static and diminishing resource? LOL  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2016, 17:55 descender

I had an old GTX285 that developed a fun problem, it would BSOD if I had AA on. Long story short, you probably overheated at some point and blew out some of your graphics pipelines (this only has to happen once and it's broken forever). It crashes when the card gets to a certain load level.

The PSU being underpowered/faulty could do the same thing, but the odds of that are pretty low. That card does pull 300W at full load though... the easiest way to test this would be to buy a second PSU from BBY and return it when you are done testing so you don't have to pull all of your hardware out.

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 23, 2016, 13:07 descender

They went from 45 million to 30 million daily users... They may as well just fold up shop now. /S

Sure, a lot of people (myself included) merely downloaded it to see WTF it was all about... and a majority of that 10 mil they "lost" was probably that... but 30 million people is still the second or third largest gaming audience?

I'd be more interested to see how many people that actually spent money have stopped playing.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2016, 14:05 descender

It brings up an interesting point. If someone says they played for 20+ hours and it was "horrible" was it really that bad?

That depends on what part of the game sucks... the intro could be good but never develop into something interesting, or the gameplay mechanics could get stale before you get to the end (hello Skyrim).

If you are a patient or glass half full person you could just be expecting things to get better even though they never do.

The MadMax game was like this for me... it looked cool, built on successful Batman AA gameplay systems... but it basically just never progressed. After clearing the first 2 areas I was certain I had seen everything the game had to offer, but it took me almost 10 hours to get to the point where I realized it wasn't going to change for the better so I stopped. I would never recommend the game to anyone... but I may not have made that same recommendation after the first hour (when I was still thoroughly entertained).

I don't care if you put 200 hours into a game, your complaints are more than valid (and sufficiently vetted at that point). If you put in 5-10 hours and give up, I don't know how serious of a chance you actually gave it.

Obviously this only applies to longer games.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 16, 2016, 13:39 descender

The IP of your phone gives away your actual location and when it doesn't match the GPS location that's an easy flag too  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 16, 2016, 13:15 descender

The company only tests configurations where every update is applied (with hundreds of individual updates, it's simply not possible to test all the individual combinations that a user might choose). This means that users and organizations that cherrypick their updates and only install a subset of the patches that ship each month are actually using configurations that Microsoft itself has not tested.

That's a pretty good reason? I'm sure it's related to the re-installation of these old OS's too. Anything that improves this update debacle is fine by me. The rollup they released in May was helpful but it still takes way too many hours to patch up a new install.

This new process also seems to indicate that W7/8 machines will only be receiving security patches once a month, unless I read that wrong?

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2016, 13:03 descender

I find it hard to believe that we are not descended from primordial pond scum.

I don't know, I kind of like this, seems more likely to be a stable environment than a random pond. I don't actually doubt they are both possible, but I would think that the pond "life" would easily die out due to external factors where the vent "life" is pretty isolated from the world.

This is really just "another pond" anyway, just hotter and deeper. The only difference is really the catalyst. The "soup" theories rely on UV or lightning to spark molecule combination in a random event. The vent theory only relies on the heat from the vent and... time.

News Comments > Overwatch Tick Rate Increasing
26. Re: Overwatch Tick Rate Increasing Aug 16, 2016, 09:23 descender

The side-effects is what happens when those features are enabled.

I can't even begin to explain how wrong this is.

And 10ms is huge.

1/100th of a second. So huge you can't even physically detect it. As I have said repeatedly... these changes are both "technically correct" and "moot in practice".

Look, I'll just keep playing my OW and CS:GO without any latency issues even though I haven't changed most of these useless settings. You can keep telling people to change them even though today they do mostly nothing in a modern PC. People can keep pretending that they can detect 10ms ping differences because they are such "pro gamers".

... and the world turns.

24. Re: Overwatch Tick Rate Increasing Aug 16, 2016, 00:13 descender

No. Disabling Nagle's and TCP Checksum Offload were popular fixes because of WoW.

So, yes? Didn't I just say that?

No, the only side-effect is potential increase in CPU time used by the adapter.

Increased CPU access is merely one of the possible side-effects of one of these setting changes.

I don't want to harp on this topic all week. Believe what you want. If you use old drivers, old NIC's and old OS's then maybe some of these settings will help. Sure, they all technically "decrease latency", it just doesn't translate to anything tangible in the real world.

Your 10ms sugar pills are delicious!

Edit: It would appear that you've been posting this same information on other message boards for over 3 years. 3 years ago they were much more important changes to make.

This comment was edited on Aug 16, 2016, 00:24.

22. Re: Overwatch Tick Rate Increasing Aug 15, 2016, 15:52 descender

Very few of these settings will make any difference at all for twitch online gaming (though there is definitely some merit to disabling nagle's and RSS).

Everything shino has said here is technically correct about the TCP protocol. TCP sucks and it definitely requires all of these tweaks to lower latency. The problem here is that no games that you actually need or want low latency for actually use TCP as the protocol. They all use UDP for those connections (BF, CS:GO, OW, etc) because it doesn't require packet acknowledgments. Developers are very aware of the TCP limitations and that's why they don't use it.

Games that you will see the most marked improvement on from the changes he suggested (WoW, Guild Wars) use TCP for a reason... mainly that your world position isn't as important and they can operate within the latencies of TCP without issues.

These things became "popular fixes" mainly because of WoW, and because of the old NIC's/drivers that were lying about their onboard feature sets. They really don't apply to a majority of twitch gaming today.

You can try the tweaks without harm, but there are side-effects to disabling nearly every one of these settings. I should have been more clear though. I don't run TCPOptimizer monthly to keep the gaming tweaks intact, I do that to keep the TCP stack optimized for my 70Mbit connection (driver updates will undo lots of settings and bandwidth is largely irrelevant for gaming).

This comment was edited on Aug 15, 2016, 15:57.

17. Re: Overwatch Tick Rate Increasing Aug 14, 2016, 09:16 descender

Blanket changing of those NIC settings was more important in the past with older drivers, OS's and slower CPU's. Now NIC's basically do no work on their own and offload everything to the CPU anyway regardless of your settings and these should not all be disabled.

I do recommend running SG TCP Optimizer on "Optimal settings" for all adapters though, that will fix any misconfigurations you may have acquired and will clean up your connection more than any of the other changes will. You should only disable the extra offloading features if you are having excessive driver or latency issues.

These latency changes are miniscule at best and would be unnoticeable without direct measurement. If you get a drastic improvement here it was because one of your other TCP/IP settings was probably wrong like your MTU/RWIN/etc. I try to run the TCPOptimizer like once a month just to make sure nothing in windows changes the settings (which it likes to do with driver updates). You don't have to change any individual setting though, the "Optimal" set works just fine.

9. Re: Overwatch Tic Rate Increasing Aug 13, 2016, 07:46 descender

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Aug 12, 2016, 21:50:
I've rated each and every match played since release a 1/3 after I heard about how abysmally low their tick rate was.

That isn't what that rating is for, you've been screwing up your own matchmaking queue. /er4s3r3d? :p

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 12, 2016, 14:07 descender

That AMD/ATI Merger seems to have worked out exceedingly well... for nVidia and Intel.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 12, 2016, 12:23 descender

Go FIOS or go home :p

Having the same speeds up and down has been incredible.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2016, 18:26 descender

The NFL salary "cap" is actually set by the TV shares. This means that every penny an NFL team pays out in salary is 100% subsidized by the league's TV contract. This means that if your team cries poor when it comes to signing free agents, they are full of shit.

Far as I know it's the only sport that operates that way.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2016, 15:55 descender

A football/hockey/basketball player should make scads more money than the assholes in hobbies like baseball and golf do.

LOL Rolleyes

A football player is the least skilled athlete of any major sport. Let's stop pretending like what they do warrants any more money than other "actually skilled" athletes.

Football is simply the lowest grade of sporting entertainment possible. 16 minutes of "game" in a 3 hour broadcast, and 50 athletes that can't do much more than run into each other at full speed. Only in America could such a shit sport be invented :p

2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2016, 11:57 descender

My hobby is cooler than your hobby! /rabble

Football is certainly "made for TV" entertainment, but far less athletically impressive than basically any other sport. Trying to dismissively call baseball a "hobby' only means you probably suck at it :p Football doesn't respect my time as a viewer in any way.

Doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to football (J-E-T-S locked and loaded), but playing one off the other as a 'fake sport' is just silly.

Yankees lucked out really, they could have owed nearly another $100mil in incentives had A-Rod hit more HR's. I'm excited for him to stick around as a ST instructor for the new infielders, he has always taught other players naturally and good on the Yankees to recognize and take advantage of it.

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 2016, 12:03.

News Comments > Xbox One Controller Windows Issues
46. Re: Xbox One Controller Windows Issues Aug 8, 2016, 16:41 descender

The router is almost always the weakest security link of any network. The notion that a consumer grade router would actually protect you from anything is just hilarious.

This place has become a cesspool of bad IT advice.

News Comments > Rocket League Adding Rumble Mode
8. Re: Rocket League Adding Rumble Mode Aug 8, 2016, 15:16 descender

I said it's not going to be a MK Battle mode, because after the novelty of "hurr durr, taste my boot/glove/plunger!" wears thin

That's a bit short-sighted. There are entire genres of video game where this is literally all people do all day...

Items in Mario Strikers are ('were' I suppose, with the internet service being dead now) used in the exact manner you've described. A "Battle mode" would be a separate playlist, just like the basketball, hockey and mutator modes (which is why I referred to them). Those modes would have seemed quite pipe-dreamy a year ago when the game had absolutely zero modifications to the base gameplay.

This seems to be doing adding exactly that kind of "Strikers" gameplay, a battle mode would be purely bonus using structures they are already building.

6. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 8, 2016, 14:56 descender

If you consider that this is the first Pokemon GO player to be murdered while playing, that would mean that the murder rate of pokemon GO players is considerably lower than the general population.

So... new clickbait headline: Playing Pokemon GO can save your life!

1984 Comments. 100 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo