Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for descender

Real Name descender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/id/descender
Signed On Feb 24, 2011, 19:58
Total Comments 2106 (Senior)
User ID 56185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 7, 2016, 15:49 descender

Repo companies have been driving around parking lots with license plate scanners for a few years now. I've seen plate readers in drive-thru lanes. McDonalds takes your picture at the drive-thru, especially at the ones with the dual drive-thru lanes. Best Buy has been using a facial recognition security system for almost 10 years. The license plate reader company itself sells off the database (that they aren't required to delete) of tracked data to insurance companies.

Companies are scanning and tracking everything they can. Why would anyone believe otherwise?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
18. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 7, 2016, 14:37 descender

There is a gaping canyon-sized difference between ignoring someone for holding different ideals and ignoring them for spreading blatantly false information. There are a small pile of posters here who have never seen a headline on Infowars they didn't like. Ignoring them isn't closing off my world view, it is improving it.

There is nothing inherently shitty about "talking politics". It only becomes a problem when people try to argue that their feelings are more important than facts. When you don't have facts to back up your arguments then you get cornered and essentially have to resort to getting emotional and irrational in the discussion.

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 6, 2016, 12:23 descender

The points they bring up are fairly universal truths to project management in general. Obviously, you didn't read it as per usual. Thank god you got that first post up though!  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2016, 18:05 descender

Maybe you've only seen 1/5th of the story and haven't figured out anything :p It was actually written out as 5 seasons, it wasn't written as 1 with filler tacked on the end.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2016, 13:18 descender

In my myriad discussions with people about Westworld, I find that the people who find it boring or confusing generally didn't understand the underlying complexity of the questions the show was posing and took the entire thing at face value.

People kept wanting this to turn into some sort of basic popcorn munching thriller or hero-mode western so that they could rectify the storyline. It was far better than that.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
3. Re: Sunday Mobilization Dec 5, 2016, 11:51 descender

I wonder what bitrate they stream that in. I doubt it's even a quarter of what you get from a 1080p Bluray(40Mbit) and still not in surround sound in every browser? Yuck.

We still can't (don't? won't?) properly stream actual 1080p quality content, who gives a shit about the lies they are selling with this fake 4K content? 4K is such an incredible waste of time, I feel bad for the people getting suckered into it years too early. The hype is strong with this one.

News Comments > Steep Released
3. Re: Steep Released Dec 2, 2016, 15:04 descender

Is anyone playing this? I so desperately long for a new snowboarding game.  

News Comments > On Overwatch Season 3 Placement
3. Re: On Overwatch Season 3 Placement Dec 2, 2016, 14:58 descender

If you've already played 2 full seasons... should 10 placement matches really be making that much of a difference in your ranking at all? Taking the small placement sample over the larger sample of games you've already played seems like bad math to me. They already basically know what your skill rating should be from the hundreds of games you've played... Expecting that to change drastically between seasons seems to be fundamentally misunderstanding what a skill rating tells you. Your current season rank and your skill rating shouldn't be the same number, they should be separate calculations... but your skill rating from the end of one season to the beginning of the next isn't going to change drastically for any reason.

I guess that part of these season resets are just lost on me. You should obviously reset ladder and leaderboard rankings... but that doesn't mean you have to ignore skill ratings you've already collected over a longer period of time.

News Comments > Into the Black
7. Re: Into the Black Dec 2, 2016, 10:40 descender

I have a Athlon Phenom II x4 and a GTX 670

I have that same CPU (the 965). Believe it or not, you are probably still GPU limited in most games.

Mine was originally purchased with a GTX285 all those years ago When the DX11 switch came around I picked up a 580, and was using that up until about 2 months ago. I thought it was starting to show some age when the DOOM demo dropped it basically didn't work at all... and I wasn't able to run things like TW3 at more than medium settings. Then one day my 580 mysteriously dies and a friend gives me his old 6GB Titan (he goes through $1000 video cards like water)... and this 8-year-old CPU continues to amaze me. I can run basically every game maxed out again minus GameWorks and unnecessary levels of AA with no stuttering (mind you I'm only aiming for 1080p here). I have Dolphin emulation running smoothly at 8k internal resolution... I keep thinking "oh it's time to upgrade this CPU... but it keeps changing my mind. At this rate, I doubt I'll even push for a CPU upgrade next year.

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 1, 2016, 19:44 descender

Just because they offer it doesn't mean that it's best or even meant for all of their customers. For many households multiple simultaneous HD video streams are a reality and they will need increased bandwidth sooner than later. Baby steps :p  

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 1, 2016, 19:31 descender

The purpose of that large of a data pipe is not for any individual device to be able to saturate it. It's so that you can have many devices all pulling at their maximum rates simultaneously.

Most consumer routers aren't even capable of 100MBit speeds, a different problem entirely.

This comment was edited on Dec 1, 2016, 19:43.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2016, 13:38 descender

I see charging stations at all major reststops along I95 now when I travel. It is probably going to take more than 5 minutes for the local infrastructure to accommodate electric charging stations but the major highways are already basically covered. You can see on http://www.teslarati.com/map/ that the Quickcharge stations are scattered, but they are actually all over the place.

The 8 hour charge by your existing outlet is pretty irrelevant. Most cars sit in a driveway for 16 hours a day and maybe in a different parking lot for the other 8 while you are at work. There is plenty of time to charge it while it isn't in use.

News Comments > Cities: Skylines: Natural Disasters Strike
4. Re: Cities: Skylines: Natural Disasters Strike Dec 1, 2016, 13:33 descender

I'm not sure you are grasping the core concepts of a city building simulator :p

News Comments > Into the Black
12. Re: Into the Black Dec 1, 2016, 12:51 descender

I'll put up 5 Guys against In-n-Out any time and say it's as good or better, plus their fries rock.

I went on my first west-coast vaca last month and I could not have been more disappointed with In&Out. 5guys is on a whole other level compared to the bland menu and soggy fries at In&Out.

Booze is definitely the most important thing to let go if you are fighting with gout.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 28, 2016, 17:37 descender

You end up paying like twice as much as just buying it outright somewhere else, but most people don't seem to care.

The payment plans definitely used to be like this, but not anymore. I've been shopping around for a new provider and they all seem to be within a few percentage points of the retail price of the phone now if not the same.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Foundation Update Live
4. Re: No Man's Sky Foundation Update Live Nov 27, 2016, 13:43 descender

Maybe this will be a lesson in verbiage. When anyone uses words like 'random' and 'infinite' to describe content... "fun forever" isn't the conclusion you should draw from that. Randomly generated content is usually soulless and boring.

IMO The game really delivers on how unexciting space exploration will actually be. A lot like fishing. Hours (days, years?) of boredom broken up by moments of excitement.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
55. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 27, 2016, 13:12 descender

Bats, Do you not understand what temp jobs are? The ignorance and on display here is astounding. You couldn't be more wrong about this if you tried.  

20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 24, 2016, 10:35 descender

I'd wager that football data is significantly more accurate than polling data. :p  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
78. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 22, 2016, 13:15 descender

Maybe this abandonment of his campaign promises causes some considerable backlash in the midterms in 2018. One can only hope...

Removing the electoral college is a pipedream. Fixing gerrymandered districts would take decades without sweeping nationwide reform and re-drawing of every district by population. The quickest path to breaking down the 2 party system available to us is moving towards fractional representation in the electoral college. Every state determines how their electoral college votes are applied and they need to stop giving them all to the winner. That would actually allow a third/fourth party to rise up out of this ash heap.

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 22, 2016, 12:50 descender

I think Amazon is about to learn why we all pay so much for cable tv :p  

2106 Comments. 106 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo