Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 1234 (Pro)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 14, 2016, 23:40 Mordecai Walfish

Redmask wrote on Sep 14, 2016, 20:14:
It's a completely optional experience that you can ignore, there are better options for everything in the software on the third party market.

This is incorrect. Only Shadowplay allows you to use integral hardware in your GPU for recording that has a drastically smaller performance impact than any other recording software out there. NvENC (their hardware x264 encoder) is the only portion that other recording software can use, but the greatest performance gains come from NvFBC and NvIFR, which are not available in anything besides this program, that now requires a login and cannot be used offline to record gameplay after this update. It's ridiculous.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
10. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 14, 2016, 10:24 Mordecai Walfish

Beamer wrote on Sep 14, 2016, 09:46:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Sep 14, 2016, 09:06:
Beamer wrote on Sep 14, 2016, 08:20:
I think you're wrong. I have an old iPod Nano over here. It's generation 1 or 2, the really long one with the black and white screen. I think 16GB. Maybe 4GB. I dunno, I got it from a friend who upgraded and I used it for the gym back like 8 years ago. It is a device that allows you to connect basic hardware like headphones.

Would you say it's objectively better than an iPhone 7? Congratulations, you're a fanboy. How about a Windows Phone, a device I owned for years. Are the Windows Phones objectively better? Congratulations, you're a fanboy.

How about the new midrange Honor 6x, is that objectively better? Congratulations, you're a fanboy.

Again, I hate Apple products. I've never had one I enjoyed. I will never, ever own an iPhone. But the level of "it's objectively better because of this one limited use case that doesn't impact everyone, even though it's far inferior in many, many others" is absolute fanboyism.

Nope, all of those devices are inferior in one way or another. Comparing MP3 players from 10 years ago to a top tier smartphone isn't even in the ballpark of what we were talking about, it's obviously not just the port alone. Suggesting that *ANY* flagship smartphone out right now is "far inferior" in any way, shape or form to the iPhone7 is laughable, btw. They are all in the same ballpark, give or take a feature here or there, but the main difference is that while still being in the same ballpark, they include the convenience of a headphone jack as well. Easy choice, IMO. I couldn't give two shits about brand/corporate loyalty. If Android makers all decided they wanted to get rid of the headphone port and Apple still had one, I would consider the iPhone7 the superior product, even *if* it had slightly less performance than the Androids. But, given that isn't the case.. it simply is not.

EDIT: I should have stated "flagship device" in my previous post, that is what I had intended by saying "device", not MP3 players and such. I'm guessing that's where the confusion here comes from. I worked for a large mobile carrier for a half a decade, and in that time we simply referred to all cell phones as "devices". Really need to get out of that habit.

You were responding to my original post, which said "objectively better at half the price." Given that no flagship is half the price, I have no clue why you decided to argue the point.

Regardless, saying the S7 Edge is objectively better than the iPhone 7 due to the headphone jack is ridiculous. Or, it's an utter failing to understand what "objective" means.

I've said the decision to drop the headphone jack is utterly ludicrous if not wholly anti-consumer. But to say it makes a device objectively worse? Hardly. I can't even say it makes the device objectively worse from a listening to music with headphones perspective, as some of the advantages of 100% digital music may offset the need for either a dongle or new headphones to some users.

I never mentioned price, nor replied about that specifically. Sounds like a conversation you had with someone else. And yes, I guess this does straddle the line between objective and subjective depending on what you consider makes an all-around better phone. I also would consider a laptop of similar speed with essential connectivity to a modern macbook with a single usb port to be better as well, even if it benched slower in different areas. It's a better all-around device when all things are considered. Speed isnt everything, especially now that smartphones generally are pushing 4-8 cores with GPU's that rival consoles. To think that any of this can be completely objective is probably where this whole thought process goes off-the-rails, because it can always be argued that a device that has less in one way or another simply is not objectively better. The iPhone has less convenient connectivity, the androids less power. There is no clear 100% better for everyone pick.

8. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 14, 2016, 09:06 Mordecai Walfish

Beamer wrote on Sep 14, 2016, 08:20:
I think you're wrong. I have an old iPod Nano over here. It's generation 1 or 2, the really long one with the black and white screen. I think 16GB. Maybe 4GB. I dunno, I got it from a friend who upgraded and I used it for the gym back like 8 years ago. It is a device that allows you to connect basic hardware like headphones.

Would you say it's objectively better than an iPhone 7? Congratulations, you're a fanboy. How about a Windows Phone, a device I owned for years. Are the Windows Phones objectively better? Congratulations, you're a fanboy.

How about the new midrange Honor 6x, is that objectively better? Congratulations, you're a fanboy.

Again, I hate Apple products. I've never had one I enjoyed. I will never, ever own an iPhone. But the level of "it's objectively better because of this one limited use case that doesn't impact everyone, even though it's far inferior in many, many others" is absolute fanboyism.

Nope, all of those devices are inferior in one way or another. Comparing MP3 players from 10 years ago to a top tier smartphone isn't even in the ballpark of what we were talking about, it's obviously not just the port alone. Suggesting that *ANY* flagship smartphone out right now is "far inferior" in any way, shape or form to the iPhone7 is laughable, btw. They are all in the same ballpark, give or take a feature here or there, but the main difference is that while still being in the same ballpark, they include the convenience of a headphone jack as well. Easy choice, IMO. I couldn't give two shits about brand/corporate loyalty. If Android makers all decided they wanted to get rid of the headphone port and Apple still had one, I would consider the iPhone7 the superior product, even *if* it had slightly less performance than the Androids. But, given that isn't the case.. it simply is not.

EDIT: I should have stated "flagship device" in my previous post, that is what I had intended by saying "device", not MP3 players and such. I'm guessing that's where the confusion here comes from. I worked for a large mobile carrier for a half a decade, and in that time we simply referred to all cell phones as "devices". Really need to get out of that habit.

This comment was edited on Sep 14, 2016, 09:17.

6. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 13, 2016, 23:20 Mordecai Walfish

Redwood wrote on Sep 13, 2016, 22:27:
The Note 7 alternatives is a pretty good list, though I personally would be hesitant to go with a OnePlus 3.

Agreed. I've heard the support for OnePlus devices is pretty terrible.

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 13, 2016, 21:11 Mordecai Walfish

I think many people would agree that a device that allows you to connect basic hardware like headphones is objectively better than one that requires inconvenient, unnecessary dongles, or being locked into Apple's "vision of the future". Sure the processor isn't as fast as Apple's in any Android phones out there, but speed alone does not make for a better device.

Also, the excuse that they need to make it thinner via removing this port is laughable, phones do not need to have the form factor of a piece of cardboard or paper.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
25. Re: Sunday Consolidation Sep 13, 2016, 10:45 Mordecai Walfish

Jivaro wrote on Sep 12, 2016, 21:19:
Sony and MS look to be switching to a release schedule that has more in common with cell phone iterations than traditional console lifespans.

Not to dig up a long dead horse and beat it some more but...

Does that mean the PC won the war with the consoles?

A weird fact I saw recently is that the iPhone 7 will be the most powerful platform that nintendo has released a game on. More powerful than the WiiU. Future cell phones realistically could become the next consoles, being both portable and decently powered with tons of connectivity and output options through high speed ports and wireless. Maybe with how similar they are trying to be to PC's, the consoles are destined to just become Steam-like games portals on varying PC hardware. When that happens, I will concede that PC's have won the "war".

News Comments > Free TOXIKK Launches
2. Re: Free TOXIKK Launches Sep 13, 2016, 07:22 Mordecai Walfish

Just tried this for my first time and its pretty disappointing.

Issues I saw/had with the game:

1.The few levels are all very small and unoriginal, especially the one CTF map that was basically a big box with a couple vehicles and a pillar in the center.

2.The quickplay button tries to put you in full servers and ends up with an error message alot of times when you click it, requiring you to manually click it over and over again to get a match sometimes.

3. Weapons are equally meh, especially the melee weapon, which is just a pathetic re-imagining of Q3A's melee weapon.

4. Game defaults some pretty funky stuff, like the double-tap dodge mechanic, which you end up accidentally activating, until you finally find the way to turn it off is through a slider in the key binding menu.

5. Chat is hard to read and jumbled together with a bunch of useless information.

6. Bots on the servers are just terrible and only serve to feed kills to the other team.

Alot of stuff I didn't like about this. It's a shame too, I was hoping for a good new arena shooter, but this is just a shiny turd with very little substance and a lot of poor choices made by the designers. Anyone looking for a game like this to enjoy would be much better off playing the free Unreal Tournament beta. I really wanted to like it, and did *really* well in the matches I played (I had a 13:1 kd/r overall through all the games i played), so it's obviously super-easy to pick up and learn quickly. Just not a very good game, unfortunately :-/

News Comments > Steam Top 10
40. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 12, 2016, 23:14 Mordecai Walfish

Verno wrote on Sep 12, 2016, 21:51:
Kxmode wrote on Sep 12, 2016, 17:52:
In so many words you told me my comparison was wrong and why yours was correct. That is not an exchange of ideas. You appear to be very keen on your opinion, and against any others. That is why I did not want to get into details over my choice of E.T. instead of Spore.

I would only ask that you respect my choice and not escalate it into a trivial argument.

No, you have that backwards. My opinion is my opinion, its not wrong or right but I'm willing to explain it and even if I wasn't, people are free to disagree with it. Escalating it into a trivial argument is what you're doing, you could've easily just said "oh i thought it was like ET because <blah>" and people could just take it or leave it. Or just left it on its own and let other people disagree. You posted publicly and compared something to whats widely considered the worst game of all time. No one says you "have" to explain anything but don't expect other people to just say "oh whoops we can't respond any further, kxmode doesn't feel like justifying his incendiary comment".

Its got aliens and spaceships and both are badly implemented. No Man's Sky is pretty much E.T. part two, with such similarity. /s

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2016, 22:20 Mordecai Walfish

The guys behind the unproven "infinite detail" rendering tech released a new video, showcasing work theyre doing towards making hologram gaming centers and new ways to bring real world laser-mapped environments into VR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uYkbXlgUCw

They also have started work on getting animation working. It's rather telling that it's shown by itself and not in a voxel environment, so again I'm skeptical by their claims, but I must admit that I would very much like to visit one of their gaming centers.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
15. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 11, 2016, 22:20 Mordecai Walfish

Rigs wrote on Sep 11, 2016, 21:39:
Kxmode wrote on Sep 11, 2016, 18:21:
...one of the worse games I have ever played this side of Atari's E.T.

Just a tad bit hyperbolic, ja? It wasn't that bad, man. Yes, it shit the bed A:CM-style, I'll give you that but I think that was due to a mix of overwhelming hype (that Sony refused to keep control of), a dev-turned-PR-failure getting in way over his head and fanbois making another delay an impossibility. If they'd delayed it for another six months, brought in some competent QA and maybe had a limited public beta test, they could've avoided a lot of this. Just having the game 'leak' before retail release was enough to show them that they needed to rework some serious issues. I've started to think that maybe the 'leak' was intentional, given their lack of QA.

Still, there are worse games out there. Much worse. At least NMS is playable. And some do find it enjoyable. Apparently, it's got a rather large ASMR following. If it could get some good mods and if HG could release the proposed additions of owning freighters and building bases, it would help considerably. This could be an X-type game, with a trade interface and possibly owning stations/bases. The base game is a good foundation, it just needs someone to build something amazing on top of it!

=-Rigs-=

I firmly believe that most people who compare a game they think is bad to Atari's E.T. simply haven't played it and are using it as a token based on the numerous stories about it being the worst game ever. It's pretty much a meme at this point.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
8. Re: Sunday Consolidation Sep 11, 2016, 17:41 Mordecai Walfish

Sony's marketing sure is in full swing. I don't see the PS4 pro being much of a success besides selling well to people who don't have a PS4 yet, or are replacing a broken one and can justify the extra cost. And people/parents with plenty of disposable income who just don't give a fuck.

Everyone who saw the presentation/unveiling for PS4 Pro they did recently, came away with the same lackluster feeling from it all. And on top of that the inventor of Blu-Ray cant even seem to get a 4k disc drive in their own damn console when their competitor already has one in theirs. Pretty silly. (I'm guessing this has more to do with some internal Sony beef regarding competing with themselves, and undercutting their own BD4k devices currently out there.. but it is a mistake, nonetheless.)

I personally just want the newly revised controller with the supposedly decreased input lag, and for proper drivers for PC to be released by sony. Was hoping this would happen with the PSnow/wireless adapter launch, but I'm not holding my breath.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
1. Re: Saturday Mobilization Sep 10, 2016, 12:47 Mordecai Walfish

What to do with your old iPhone? Keep it so you have a decently functional device while you look into other alternatives besides apple.  

News Comments > DOOM Update Plans
19. Re: DOOM Update Plans Sep 10, 2016, 09:52 Mordecai Walfish

The multiplayer is so laughably bad in this game that I'm surprised they didnt just scrap any future updates and focus on the single player. Does not bode well for Quake Champions at all, that the current shot-callers at iD/Bethesda consider this passable multiplayer.  

News Comments > Overwatch Netcode Update
1. Re: Overwatch Netcode Update Sep 9, 2016, 20:56 Mordecai Walfish

Got back into Overwatch lately after a short break and multiplayer does feel really good now (It was good before too, but there were very noticeable issues). Havent encountered any shoot around corners or the weird yo-yo interpolation errors I would get while jet boosting with d-va every once in a while before. That shit sucked in comp play during season 1 especially.  

News Comments > Halo 5 Forge for Windows 10
27. Re: Halo 5 Forge for Windows 10 Sep 9, 2016, 11:30 Mordecai Walfish

CJ_Parker wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 11:13:
GarthZombie wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 10:44:
Best thing to do is just report his posts, hope he eventually gets banned and we can have a healthy comments section without fat angry morons here.

Good. That means I get to stay cuz I may be angry and a moron but I ain't fat, bud .

Also, real intelligent to write shit about a "healthy comments section" and then insult posters as "fat angry morons". Looks like I'm by far not the most moronic moron around here but we already established that in this and many other threads before it.

Reagle has got you beat by several thousand country miles. No worries there.

News Comments > Halo 5 Forge for Windows 10
5. Re: Halo 5 Forge for Windows 10 Sep 8, 2016, 19:52 Mordecai Walfish

This is not bundled with the first Halo, which would have been an awesome addition if it were true..

Instead it includes "the Halo app, which provides the latest news, videos, tutorials, featured community content, update notes, and more from across the entire Halo universe."

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 8, 2016, 18:44 Mordecai Walfish

Quboid wrote on Sep 8, 2016, 16:59:
From the Source Engine and that era, I understood HDR to be adjusting the image to simulate our eyes adjusting to light: making dark scenes have more visible detail (with light areas being washed out) and light scenes have more contrast and vibrancy (with detail in dark areas being almost indistinguishable).

1) Is this even correct for 3D engines?
2) How does this apply to hardware (and its firmware/OS/etc)? Do they apply a filter to the rendered 2D image and if so, does that affect image quality?

The HDR that valve pioneered is specifically for lighting effects in games, so that would be better described as "HDR Lighting". The TV standard allows for greater color depth as well. I believe the 10 in the HDR10 standard refers to 10bit color, and for Dolby's superior implementation, they use 12bit color.

News Comments > GeForce Experience 3.0 Released
5. Re: GeForce Experience 3.0 Released Sep 7, 2016, 20:37 Mordecai Walfish

NotOneOfUs wrote on Sep 7, 2016, 20:05:
LittleMe wrote on Sep 7, 2016, 19:58:
With this, nVidia is now forcing us to log into their mothership server before we can record our gameplay. What's next? We need to authenticate with them before we can play our games so they can lock us out at their whim even though we bought their card? There are people reporting not getting registration confirmation e-mails for hours. People are livid with nV. Forget using shadowplay offline!

Woah, I need confirmation on this. You can't use Shadowplay offline? That would be a killer for me. Holding off till I hear more.

Confirmed.

I tried logging out and using the program and it will not proceed past the login page.

Disabling the ethernet adapter on my pc and then relaunching the program resulted in the message "GeForce Experience requires an active internet connection to function".

This wasn't necessary in the Beta version, I wonder why the switch?

If you log in to the new GeForce experience, there is a feedback button in the bottom-right corner. Report the issue there so they will hopefully address it.

Copy/paste my feedback to them in there if you want:

"I cannot use shadowplay or any geforce experience features without logging in, and I do not always have/use an internet connection when I'm playing games, thus making the shadowplay feature of my card (a specific reason I bought a Nvidia card) inaccessible at times, although it should always be available.

I wish to use my card with the features advertised when I purchased it. It was never specified that I would need to have an active internet connection to use the features I paid for with my Nvidia GPU."

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 7, 2016, 20:01 Mordecai Walfish

They expect people who want to use the headphones they already own to carry around an adapter with them so that this is possible.

And when you no-doubt lose this adapter they will sell you a replacement for $29.95.

LOL

Just Apple being Apple.

News Comments > GeForce Experience 3.0 Released
1. Re: GeForce Experience 3.0 Released Sep 7, 2016, 19:19 Mordecai Walfish

Ive been using the beta for a while now and it is much better than the old version. The Shadowplay improvements alone are worth the upgrade.  

1234 Comments. 62 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo