Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 1100 (Pro)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > DOOM Demo Extended
42. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 22, 2016, 04:42 Mordecai Walfish

Frans wrote on Jun 22, 2016, 03:44:
Spektr wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 12:58:
Jee back in the days a demo wasn't time limited.
I half expected this from the start, it's just a marketing trick: first to get people to talk about the game, the demo and the time limit; then to talk about the game, the demo and the time extension. Looks like it worked.

They might even "change their mind" again and leave the demo available indefinitely -- like it should be.

I mean.. it did cost them money to put the demo together, and to release it on multiple platforms. why the hell would you waste that with a 1-week release unless you were drumming up excitement just to have as many people download it as possible in a short amount of time, and then reveal that it was going to stay available? Marketing fuckery.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Blizzard on Overwatch Matchmaking
5. Re: Blizzard on Overwatch Matchmaking Jun 22, 2016, 00:08 Mordecai Walfish

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 23:10:
descender wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 22:47:
Have you tried playing custom games? Literally every gameplay option you just asked for is already there.

basically the enemy team had always the hard counter to my char

You really need to change characters to play OW correctly. Especially when you are being countered. If you don't, that disadvantage might be the reason your team is losing.

This is simply not a game where you can "play one class" all night and expect to win consistently (unless your full premade team is building around you every round).

You need to be countering your opponent, not letting them do it to you.

I don't really help my team much when I play a char I legitimately utterly suck at but that is the only one not hard countered... ;/

Custom games and training matches against AI are a great way to hone your skills with those characters you want to get better with!

News Comments > Morning Interviews
14. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 18, 2016, 05:39 Mordecai Walfish

Slick wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 18:39:
also, yeah, it's not a MOBA.

Are gamers really this fucking stupid? Class-based shooters have been around since TF1, and probably before that (was ricochet before TF1?).

But nowadays any FPS with distinct classes is considered a MOBA. what the fuck. a MOBA has a LOT of unique stuff going on. Waves of continuous AI bots, towers to kill, leveling up, RPG elements, mercs, obj to kill the core. that games like Overwatch, Team Fortress 2, and yes now Quake Champions will have none of, but people won't stop comparing them to actual FPS MOBAS like smite, paragon and battleborn.

It's pretty easy to see why the comparison is made, although it is an admittedly weak one. It's the way the character's abilities work that is brought over from those types of games. Offensive ability, defensive/movement ability, basic attack, ultimate ability which has a very long cooldown.

When someone references a "hero" or "champion" FPS, they're referring to that kind of character structure. You've incorrectly assumed people are comparing it to mobas simply because it has distinct classes, but that is not the case.

News Comments > Overwatch Competitive Details
3. Re: Overwatch Competitive Details Jun 18, 2016, 05:29 Mordecai Walfish

Sepharo wrote on Jun 18, 2016, 03:35:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 22:46:
To be honest first they should change that on some maps ALL approaches to those AI turrets are within 40m, and thus reward you with an unwinnable situation if coupled with a camping bastion

wat?

reminds me of those beginner guides and videos that always point out to new players that torb and bastion are going to seem OP when you start playing. it gets alot easier dealing with them once you develop a technique

News Comments > New Battle.net Authenticator
9. Re: New Battle.net Authenticator Jun 16, 2016, 22:14 Mordecai Walfish

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 16, 2016, 19:33:
Pfft, Blizzard's authenticators. Just use WinAuth if you want to add two-step security.

I use WinAuth also. Just like the regular authenticators you gotta write down your code, but it's worked great for me for the past 4 years.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 16, 2016, 20:58 Mordecai Walfish

it's $25/$30 per month for 100 megabits and you're not beholden to one of the major fuck-you-in-the-ass cable companies out there.. there isn't much to complain about here besides them still allowing the resellers to allow fuckery like data caps.  

News Comments > Overwatch Hits 10M; Launches Balance Patch
27. Re: Overwatch Hits 10M; Launches Balance Patch Jun 16, 2016, 04:17 Mordecai Walfish

Sepharo wrote on Jun 15, 2016, 20:47:
http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Sepharo-1760

I was #27 in the country for score per minute (admittedly from only playing zenyatta). Now I'm #52 though.

I'm playing with a neat mixture of people. I've got my core IRL friends but then also some of you guys from Blues and another group from another forum.
Half Elf is a great Lucio and Mordecai a kick ass D.Va

I just checked that site and I'm apparently the #30 d.va for score =)

http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Mordecai-1331/heroes/22

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 15, 2016, 22:07 Mordecai Walfish

They're going to be upscaling to hit 4k on these new consoles. The 980ti doesn't even hit the supposed 6tflops that MS claims with this new console, and struggles at 4k without graphical settings turned down. I sincerely doubt they will have 980ti level performance in Scorpio, so I'm guessing upscaling from 1920 or 2560 resolutions probably being the norm on these newer consoles, just like the XbOne has to upscale from 720p and 900p. Having a decent built-in scaler to 4k will still be nice if they can pull it off though.

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 15, 2016, 19:48:
Ok then I'll assume English is a 2nd language for a couple then:

If you don’t have a 4K TV, the Xbox Scorpio is not for you, according to Phil Spencer, head of Xbox.

“What TV do you have?” he asked.

“A standard 1080p TV,” was the reply.

“Then you should buy this box, because Scorpio is not going to do anything for you,” said Spencer. “Scorpio is designed as a 4K console, and if you don’t have a 4K TV, the benefit we’ve designed for, you’re not going to see.

“Clearly, you can buy Scorpio, and if and when you decide you want to buy a 4K television to take advantage of the increased performance, obviously the console will be ready for you.”

That part about "then you should buy this box" that I assume he is talking the Slim. But I don't understand why Scorpio with it's beefed up specs wouldn't do good things for 1080p players. Makes little sense, there should be a real benefit. Then the next question is, does this increased power really enough to drive 4k games well?

They are doing everything in their power to not make it a "premium" version of the console that runs everything better, and makes an environment of current-gen players who are having significantly worse experiences with newer games because they didn't fork over more for the more powerful console. Multiplayer games especially would be an issue here, as it would give a distinct advantage to players with the more powerful hardware, and the only other alternative is to fragment the playerbase and not allow them to play together. Instead they are attempting to make a "parity" console that plays games at the exact same framerate on 4k televisions.

News Comments > Game Reviews
8. Re: Game Reviews Jun 11, 2016, 20:44 Mordecai Walfish

About 50/50 solo pub and group games, more group games lately though.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
5. Re: Game Reviews Jun 11, 2016, 19:51 Mordecai Walfish

I don't buy into the conspiracy of the 50/50 matchmaking fix.

currently have 250 wins with just a little over 400 games played. Games are won, games are lost.. doesn't really feel fixed in any way.

News Comments > 7 Million Play Overwatch, Minus a Bunch of Cheaters
12. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jun 2, 2016, 23:34 Mordecai Walfish

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 2, 2016, 23:20:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 2, 2016, 21:29:
The game is a lot of fun. I'll play several matches each night. I still kinda suck, but I have improved. The balance is fairly good, with only a few tweaks needed most likely. It'll be interesting to see what kind of longevity it has.

Friend me on B.net at TheHalfElf#11957 I play with mrgrosser and mordicai, and would be more then happy to help ya learn the game and tactics.

Mordecai#1331 here. The more the merrier. It will be fun to form some solid team comps in this.

News Comments > 7 Million Play Overwatch, Minus a Bunch of Cheaters
9. Re: 7 Million Play Overwatch, Minus a Bunch of Cheaters Jun 2, 2016, 22:33 Mordecai Walfish

Glad to hear the banhammer in use is indeed a heavy one.

Been enjoying the heck out of this since release, even though I apparently use the worst person in the game (D.VA). I'm always one to root for the underdog, especially when said underdog is a mecha-waifu.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2016, 14:48 Mordecai Walfish

On one of the control point maps earlier I used D.VA's mech-dash to knock 3 off the side of the map. A trio of Mercy using her heal beam on a shielded Reinhardt with Soldier76 behind the shield, just rushed right in and popped them over. It was glorious, lol. Wish I would have had shadowplay on.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
19. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 23, 2016, 19:40 Mordecai Walfish

The performance gains were shown to be large when SLI 980ti's are being used, but in the conclusion where they show it being tested on a single 980ti, it's much more like you would expect for faster ram, just a frame or two difference.

How many people out there are really gonna benefit from that, that have skylakes with SLI flagship cards? Not many. So for the majority of the population, there isn't much benefit for the cost difference in that higher speed ram, and the premium being charged would benefit a user much more if they put it towards a better gfx card or a bigger/faster ssd.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
18. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 20, 2016, 02:23 Mordecai Walfish

Its somewhat jarring because of the floating gun, but it's necessary to aim correctly. We're not far away from a virtual arm being attached to that floating gun and moving in a somewhat realistic way.. and that will make it much more immersive than what is seen here. The seemingly small things that add presence are absolutely huge in VR.  

30. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2016, 02:15 Mordecai Walfish

3 days for uppers and 30 days for weed. If you don't have the willpower to stop for long enough to pass a drug test, go buy one of the numerous kits that can help you pass it. Pretty easy really. If you live in a place where it's illegal and are trying to get a job, be prepared.  

News Comments > 9.7 Million Play the Overwatch Beta
2. Re: 9.7 Million Play the Overwatch Beta May 12, 2016, 19:12 Mordecai Walfish

The beta was a blast. I ordered overwatch the day after it ended, no hesitation. IMO the game is excellent.  

News Comments > Riot Simulator Anarcute Announced
4. Re: Riot Simulator Anarcute Announced May 11, 2016, 23:14 Mordecai Walfish

i get a strong pikmin/katamari vibe from this one. looks interesting  

46. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2016, 21:21 Mordecai Walfish

I went through this exact thought process when building my new pc (tax return ftw!).

There have been some solid recommendations in this thread. I spent about a month researching everything I could to make a reasonably silent computer without breaking the bank and ended up with a ridiculously quiet build.

For a case, the fractal R5 was a no-brainer. Great price and the sound dampening material works *really* well. For maximum silence go with the windowless version (which is also cheaper). The fan speed control right on the front is really nice unless you would prefer to control them by software like from a smartphone.

I picked up an evga supernova 750G2 power supply that has a silent mode that does not run the fan unless it's over a certain temp, but even when the fan is on, it's almost silent as well. The larger lower-rpm fan they use strikes a great balance between silence and performance.

For a video card I went with a Msi 980ti Gaming 6G. Msi's excellent cooler on this card (and many others) is just like the power supply. The fan stays completely off until it gets over a certain temp (during gaming only, basically), and even when it turns on is not loud at all.

I picked up an I7 4790k for future-proofing in gaming. As others have stated, there are significant performance gains in some newer titles that completely warrants the extra cost. For example, in the Witcher 3, an i7 performs much better at times. Example: https://youtu.be/Rutk9ErhKG4
That being said, there's not really any reason to upgrade to anything past that if it's more expensive. The performance gains from any processor past the 4790 are very tiny in gaming. Save the extra money and put it towards something more beneficial, like a better/bigger ssd or gpu.

For a cpu cooler I picked up a noctua dh-15, which is pretty much dead silent and outperforms many aio water cooling solutions. It's a bit pricey but has plenty of overhead room for overclocking on the k-series i7 if I ever decide to go down that road in the future. (no real need to now, at stock it perfectly runs anything you can throw at it currently)

For ram, again some good advice in this thread: Absolutely no need to splurge on the newest ram with the highest speed and lowest Cas ratings. Anything ddr3-1600 and higher will run games essentially the same. If you're not doing intensive video editing or encoding or similar tasks, that money is better spend elsewhere. Again, I'd recommend putting it towards a better ssd or gpu. I found a good deal on 16gb of ddr3-2133 ram (kingston Savage). I'd recommend going for a kit with 2 sticks of ram instead of 4, for both upgradability and performance reasons.

And last part of this quiet build is my first Ssd, a sandisk extreme pro 960gb. These have a 10yr warranty and are not terribly priced (I got mine for ~$300). Dramatic speed difference coming from 5400/7200 rpm WD hdd's to an ssd like this. The long term tests on these sandisk extreme pros are what made me pick them, and the awesome warranty.

Still using Windows 7 for compatibility reasons with my archive of software and input devices. If anything, I may dual-core windows 10 into the mix in the future. Oh yeah, and the mobo I picked is also by MSI. MSI has been on fire lately with their designs and performance.

All-in-all I am extremely happy with the level of silence this build has. It's night and day coming from my old amd rig.

Good luck with the new build!

News Comments > Overwatch Open Beta Overtime
28. Re: Overwatch Open Beta Overtime May 9, 2016, 18:27 Mordecai Walfish

Been having alot of fun over the weekend with overwatch. Really glad they extended the open beta so I can play for a bit tonight too. This went from interesting to a sure-buy after a couple hours of playing.

1100 Comments. 55 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo