Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 1603 (Pro)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Songbringer Released
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 2, 2017, 17:12 Mordecai Walfish

Nucas wrote on Sep 2, 2017, 17:05:
this looks really, really gorgeous in motion. it actually genuinely rings of games from the 90s; like it's actually trying to push the boundaries of the art style and make the most of it, like the games had to back then, and not just putting on a retro-game suit.

that said, whether it clicks with you or not seems to depend on if "procedurally generated roguelike zelda" appeals to you. at this point that collection of words doesn't even get an eye roll from me anymore, just bored contempt.

Suppa7 wrote on Sep 2, 2017, 09:10:
The reality is most people are mediocre at what they do and hence most games are reflections of that.
this was extra funny to me because you fucked up an url link in your post.

Typical human with his mediocre posting habits.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Road Rage Next Month
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 2, 2017, 05:02 Mordecai Walfish

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 1, 2017, 13:13:
Whoops, when I first read this, I thought they meant Road Redemption...which apparently is going to be in Early Access forever.

These guys have a lot of balls, using the original Road Rage name; I hope their game turns out to be awesome, mostly for my sake, but for theirs too.

The original was Road Rash. I don't recall any other games with the name Road Rage.

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 30, 2017, 21:28 Mordecai Walfish

jdreyer wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 19:37:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 14:49:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 12:54:
Lawbreakers needed some obvious way of differentiating itself from Overwatch, like adding vehicles.

At a EPIC games meeting ~20 years ago:

"Unreal needs some obvious way of differentiating itself from Quake, like adding vehicles"

20 years ago they were working on the original UT. They differentiated it by having a brighter color palette, over the top weapons, a wide variety of interesting maps, and more, better game modes.

The thing is, Overwatch and Lawbreakers look very similar: both are hero shooters with unique characters, the settings are near-future sci-fi, weapons look similar, etc. Even the game titles are thematically similar. It's hard to horn in on any well-established game, Blizzard games especially so.

Lawbreakers has "#skilledAF" and other edgy stuff integrated in to it, that't not unique enough for you?!

News Comments > Survived By Announced
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 30, 2017, 17:32 Mordecai Walfish

Looks like a much better version of Realm of the Mad God. Besides the lineage system, it looks like pretty much the same game.  

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 30, 2017, 14:49 Mordecai Walfish

jdreyer wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 12:54:
Lawbreakers needed some obvious way of differentiating itself from Overwatch, like adding vehicles.

At a EPIC games meeting ~20 years ago:

"Unreal needs some obvious way of differentiating itself from Quake, like adding vehicles"

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 30, 2017, 14:24 Mordecai Walfish

You have to install the logitech software to do it, but the buttons can be disabled and rebound to other functions. i find turning the dpi up to be helpful in very limited scenarios, like when using a vehicle weapon that is slower to turn. on the other hand, dropping the dpi level a click will make it easier to use mounted gatling guns and similar weapons, for easier tracking at long distances. Useful in battlefield, but never really used it for much else, personally.  

News Comments > Destiny 2 Open Beta
13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 29, 2017, 16:14 Mordecai Walfish

Slick wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 14:23:
It's funny that they're locking the new Xbox One X version to 30 fps, when it's obviously able to hit "real" FPS framerates.

They would have to fragment the playerbase if they had both a 60fps version and a 30fps version of the game. Even on console that would be a distinct advantage in multiplayer.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 29, 2017, 15:28 Mordecai Walfish

Okinawa rush looks pretty good. Hopefully it controls decently too.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 29, 2017, 15:01 Mordecai Walfish

So make it a tiered system. Cheapo option you have to go to the vehicle yourself, and a more expensive option where a person rides along to bring it to your door.  

News Comments > MS's Virtual Reality Sets This Year
17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 28, 2017, 22:15 Mordecai Walfish

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 18:45:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 17:51:
And their joysticks were great back in the day.

C'mon. That was 15+ years ago . It is also typical for them that they always discontinue their decent products. Sidewinder was an awesome product line all around (the sticks but also the incredible GameVoice). IntelliExplorer mice were decent for gaming, too, but their current mice suck.

Still got the Sidewinder Strategic Commander going strong and it's actually quite useful in some (RTS-style) games. Somebody made windows 7 drivers for it thankfully, which work for all functions and allow for remapping and binding keyboard/mouse commands. I felt pretty fortunate to have found that driver, as MS never really supported it after release.

News Comments > Xenia This Week
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 28, 2017, 21:35 Mordecai Walfish

its 2017 and you can't even hit Amiga-level graphics? Even for a solo dev this looks pretty terrible. Gameplay looks just as bad.

Speaking of solo devs.. I played a game on android today called Polytopia made by a single dude, and it's pretty damn good. Kind of an empire builder/resource game with simplified graphics and gameplay. It has multiplayer also, local only I believe, where you pass the phone/tablet to the next player when your turn is up. Turns go pretty quick once you get the hang of the gameplay, and it's fun trying to compete against the enemy civilizations on the harder difficulty settings. Highly recommended. Free with no ads, but there are some extra "tribes" you can unlock for $$, but they only let you start with different perks than the core ones, and change the graphical style of the group you play as. Nothing drastic.

Blue gets the news from both devs/publishers and the readers, I believe. Anyone can submit news from the link on the left bar, but as always, it's up to El' Capitan Blue to decide if it's actually newsworthy or not. I know I sent in some dumb shit that never got posted when I was younger (~20 years ago) and thought abusive admins on game servers were somehow newsworthy.. lol.

News Comments > PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Tops Steam Player Count
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 28, 2017, 01:43 Mordecai Walfish

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 01:22:
8,371,417 owners

Far as I know, no other (non-free) game has this many owners

Well off hand I know that GTA V has ~80 million copies sold, and Overwatch has easily over 10 million.. so it's not breaking any records there.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 27, 2017, 22:25 Mordecai Walfish

Agreed. Smartwatches might be usable tech when they create a way for it to charge without being plugged in. Until then, DOA or momentary fad at best  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 27, 2017, 22:19 Mordecai Walfish

surprising to see quake champions at the list at all. honestly it seems like it will be a pretty short-lived title. The main competitive game modes aren't very fun to watch, compared to classic 1v1 and CTF. The world championships were this weekend and the main youtube video for the stream pulled in around 5k viewers total, with the actual 1v1 final only pulling around 2500 views as of today. Not very e-sport-friendly numbers. Was cool seeing some new blood come in though. Clawz has an almost aimbot-like accuracy, which was obviously pretty hard to deal with for the aging quake 1-3 pros.

i'd like to see lawbreakers do well, because it looks like a decent shooter, but no way i'm buying it with such low player numbers. not at that price. kind of a catch-22 there.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 27, 2017, 22:17 Mordecai Walfish

surprised to see logitech catching heat for its warranty policy, as theyve always been great when i dealt with them. I called their support when my last mx518 died and they had discontinued them, and they just had me read the serial number off the bottom and sent me its replacement, the g400, for free at the time. They did this even though I was out of warranty for the mx518 by a couple years! Never had any problems with their support/warranty.  

News Comments > PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Tops Steam Player Count
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 27, 2017, 22:07 Mordecai Walfish

The number of cheaters in this game is blowing up as quickly as it's popularity, as is usually the case with online shooters. I'm kind of on the ropes with this one.. I like the gameplay, but so much in the game feels really bad/jank currently. Movement and vehicles are not very good, but on the other hand, the shooting is decent and the playerbase is massive. It's also a shame that you put yourself at a distinct tactical disadvantage if you want to turn up the graphics quality, and not just from a framerate perspective. It was pretty annoying in quake and it's even worse here. If it's necessary to play on the lowest settings for competitive games (especially in a game that is all about competition), then that should be the only option available, IMO.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation
42. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 27, 2017, 14:17 Mordecai Walfish

"In the latest twist to the Star Citizen saga, Cloud Imperium decides to give all of it's backers facials at Gamescom2017. The crowd was overly enthusiastic about their facials, with one proclaiming 'In an ideal universe Chris Roberts would be bending me over all day!' The event ended in uproarious applause as Miley Cyrus made a guest appearance to 'wipe down the loads' as the guests exited the arena."  

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 25, 2017, 23:25 Mordecai Walfish

I watched some of their presentation. It was buggy with a bunch of scripted players sounding forced and generic. Bugs are expected still, but some of it was so bad I can't believe they didn't recognize those issues should have probably been fixed before the demo. It wrecked the flow of their scripted scenarios, sometimes multiple times in a row. I still have hope something decent may come of all of this mess.  

News Comments > Secret of Mana Remake Plans
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 25, 2017, 16:07 Mordecai Walfish

Awesome, one of my favorites being remade *and* it's getting released on steam. Was hoping for internet co-op, but local is great fun in the original and very welcome here. The graphics look like an android/mobile game, but when zoomed out to the normal overhead view it probably will look a lot better. I was just talking with some folks on Reddit about this game being a collective fave.. I still have the poster from the SNES original framed on my wall.

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 25, 2017, 13:30:
Chrono trigger remake next? One can hope

It's mind boggling that they have not done this yet. That would sell millions on every platform they release it on, easily.

Edit:saw a couple screenshots of the traditional isometric/top down view and it looks great:

https://flic.kr/p/XJ1jEq

https://flic.kr/p/XJ1jG9

https://flic.kr/p/XLG6SP

Steam page is up: http://store.steampowered.com/app/637670/Secret_of_Mana/

Say it has Japanese audio options too, so it won't potentially get ruined by a terrible English dub. Awesome.

Features also show both 'Multi-player' and 'Local Co-op' listed. I want to believe!

This comment was edited on Aug 25, 2017, 19:10.

News Comments > TEKKEN 7 DLC Next Week
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 24, 2017, 20:54 Mordecai Walfish

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 24, 2017, 19:08:
Yet GTA 4 had bowling AND npc's Roman to go bowling with and everyone hated it!

FTFY

(I hated it because I got sick of Roman's calls..)

1603 Comments. 81 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo