Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 1708 (Pro)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
35. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 30, 2017, 05:13 Mordecai Walfish

Rigs wrote on Oct 29, 2017, 08:00:

For Divinity2, do I need to have played the first to understand the 2nd? I got like ten minutes into the first one and then woke up in a puddle of drool, so I'm hoping this one might be more...engaging?

=-Rigs-=

It's not required in the slightest, but there are some inside references you may not completely understand. It is a standalone game, just as you didn't have to read the Witcher books before playing the first game, but you would understand more about the world had you done so.

"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 29, 2017, 03:02 Mordecai Walfish

Rigs wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 18:05:
So, I'm like this > < close to pulling the trigger on Witcher3:GOTY. I have the original and Blood & Wine but still have yet to even get 15% into the game as it is, which is why I'm considering just going all in but I'm hesitating. I saved my lunch money (and chewed on my socks instead) and have exactly $50 to spend. I would like to get Destiny 2 but I can only find $57 as the lowest and I really don't want to blow my wad on one game. Even tho it's really tempting. Wolf2 is a consideration but I didn't finish the first, so no. I could get the STEAM version of GTA5 (I have the Rockstar Social version), that's only $30. I would consider Shadow of War but, again, I'm still working on the first (even tho I'm told it's everything the first is and lots more). Divinity 2 is yet another consideration with yet another stipulation being I haven't finished the first. Grrr! Then I was thinking maybe just getting three months of iRacing again, since my old account ran out. Or maybe even a legit version of PC2. I dunno, I can never decide these things!
=-Rigs-=

Go with Divinity 2 if you already own GTA V And Witcher 3, I don't know why you'd want to re-buy those. Destiny 2 is going to cost far more than the $57 you found it for, to get a complete game. From what I hear the base game is a pretty hollow shell that people have been losing interest in rather quickly.

"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 27, 2017, 21:28 Mordecai Walfish

As the saying goes.. "A sucker and his money will soon be Apple'd"  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 27, 2017, 20:30 Mordecai Walfish

ForgedReality wrote on Oct 27, 2017, 18:48:
Capella wrote on Oct 27, 2017, 17:18:
Hey Microsoft please bring back the Explorer Trackball!! If they ever do I am going to buy 10!!

Why not just buy the best trackball ever made?

https://www.amazon.com/M-XT3DRBK-Wireless-Trackball-6-Button-Tracking/dp/B016QCPNUW

Edit - Oh, and you'll also need a Logitech M570 so you can use its ball in the Elecom.

That actually looks really nice. I like how it has a middle mouse button and scroll wheel.

Looks like you can buy a mx570 compatible ball separate also, or get the real thing for double the cost of the other one. The top review on the genuine replacement was "I got it to replace the one in the Elecom mouse. The Elecom one wasn't accurate, this Logitech one made the Elecom work better."

21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 27, 2017, 15:12 Mordecai Walfish

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 27, 2017, 15:05:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 27, 2017, 13:29:
Verno wrote on Oct 27, 2017, 13:20:
The Half Elf wrote on Oct 27, 2017, 12:50:
derp
Haha oh man you will catch some shit over that one
Nah, That much ignorance is not even worth responding to.

Has nothing to do with ignorance. The only way to win the "War on Drugs" is to give people what they want. The sad truth is, that the "best" solution with opiates is to give them all they want, let them overdose. Quit wasting money on methadone clinics, narcan, emergency responders.

It's a draconian solution but once all the people are dead from using it, it no longer becomes a problem.
Redeye9 if you can come up with another one, I'm all ears.

If you really were to "give them what they want" and decriminalize all drugs, we would likely have much less of a problem with overdoses than we currently do. Since Portugal did this in 2001, they have had significant success in this regard.

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 27, 2017, 14:36 Mordecai Walfish

Retired wrote on Oct 27, 2017, 13:12:
Gun of Icarus Online is free over the Humble

Thanks for the head's up on this! Been wanting to try this one for a long time but never pulled the trigger.

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 27, 2017, 13:35:
Concerning NASs.. you really are better off buying 3 or 4 large USB drives and doing backups to them on a regular basis. NAS and RAIDs (with parity drives) are supposed to resolve the hard drive failure issue. But in reality, drives are so large now it makes rebuilds problematic. This is due to the math of a block failure while doing a rebuild with the huge number of blocks on modern drives.

I'm not saying it will always fail, but it will fail a lot more often than you would think. Regular backups to multiple media is far safer. Just be sure you have a boot cd with the backup software on it so you can restore after a catastrophic failure.

+1

FreeFileSync is an excellent and free program that I've used for years to handle all my backups.

News Comments > Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Released; Menu Includes Countdown
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 27, 2017, 14:30 Mordecai Walfish

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 27, 2017, 11:10:
I just noticed this guys reviews. I like his presentation, voice and style. Not overtly spoilerish.
ACG Reviews, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Review "Buy, Wait for Sale, Rent, Never Touch?"

Angry Centaur Gaming is one of my favorite youtube games reviewers. No pretentious intros (no dubstep, no drawn out intro animations, no begging for likes and shameless self promotion before the video), and no filler and/or fluff. Quality stuff.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 27, 2017, 12:45 Mordecai Walfish

Delaying the release of the JFK files any further doesn't seem in the least bit suspicious.. obviously if people knew the internal info about what happened almost 60 years ago, heads would explode. They're just averting a public health crisis by delaying it further.  

News Comments > Steam Halloween Sale Begins
14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 27, 2017, 10:30 Mordecai Walfish

Dead Cells and Inside are on sale. Two of my favorite platformers from the past year.  

News Comments > Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus System Specs
15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 27, 2017, 03:49 Mordecai Walfish

NKD wrote on Oct 24, 2017, 08:45:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Oct 24, 2017, 03:56:
with 8 cores/threads being the norm for consoles now, games are going to be looking for that as a minimum. the days of 4 cores being adequate for (AAA at least) gaming are coming to an end. it will be interesting to see how this game performs on i5's with decent speed, with those stated requirements.

that being said, it's hard to imagine a game not running well on a decent i5 compared to an AMD 8350.

Games really haven't made much headway in scaling beyond 4 cores, and Hyperthreading isn't 8 cores anyway. You're actually better off disabling Hyperthreading on an i7 for gaming, because most games it's actually giving you a measurable performance decrease.

Some DX12 games actually scale pretty well up to about 6 cores and do get some boost from Hyperthreading.

This may have been solid advice 3 or 4 years ago, but most games don't have any issues with newer i7's implementation of hyperthreading. Turning it off isn't really helpful for gaming as it was in the past.

News Comments > Steam Halloween Sale Begins
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 27, 2017, 03:01 Mordecai Walfish

"You know how I know you're a dick, Ted? Your Steam library."  

News Comments > Destiny 2 Bans Follow-up
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 25, 2017, 22:48 Mordecai Walfish

Alamar wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 22:34:
ItBurn wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 21:20:
These are usually really competitive or professional players.

I've been pretty competitive... And I love to win... Which is why I never cheat... Cheating invalidates the 'win', so there's no joy to take from it... At least for me.

Exactly.

Not going to see many cheaters in the Co-op portion anyways.. the Call of Halo multiplayer modes in this game are where you'll find 99% of the cheaters.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 25, 2017, 13:21 Mordecai Walfish

Just think how good they could have made their last console (Xbox One) if they didn't neuter the system by forcing this as a pack-in at launch. Not only could the money/resources for this lame-duck tech have gone into better internal parts of the console (you know.. the parts that MATTER for gaming), but they wouldn't have had to reserve a portion of their already struggling processor just for this fad hardware that they had some good success with on the 360. They should have just made the XB1 backwards compatible with the Kinect, and release an updated version so people could decide for themselves whether they wanted to get it, instead of forcing it upon each and every person who bought their new console. What a shitty Microsoft-worthy move.  

News Comments > Newegg in Hot Water
20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 24, 2017, 14:57 Mordecai Walfish

Smart builders never ordered *everything* from newegg. Plenty of good sites with varying deals/prices.. it's always been a mix-up of about 5 different sources. If you have a Micro Center nearby that is a great source too. Best b&m by a long shot. That said, Newegg certainly has gone downhill on their pricing.. either that or everyone else caught up.  

News Comments > Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus System Specs
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 24, 2017, 03:56 Mordecai Walfish

with 8 cores/threads being the norm for consoles now, games are going to be looking for that as a minimum. the days of 4 cores being adequate for (AAA at least) gaming are coming to an end. it will be interesting to see how this game performs on i5's with decent speed, with those stated requirements.

that being said, it's hard to imagine a game not running well on a decent i5 compared to an AMD 8350.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 22, 2017, 22:54 Mordecai Walfish

Cool seeing at least what a theoretical fastest-run would be through Mirror's Edge. Now we need someone to go through the entire game and match it so we have an actual record.  

News Comments > First-Person Mode Within The Evil Within 2
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 22, 2017, 19:41 Mordecai Walfish

With how good this looks from the in-game footage (character shadows still casting appropriately, being able to see the character's hand when sneaking by corners, view bob, etc), I'm surprised it wasn't just an option in the game to begin with. Perhaps it makes aiming a bit too easy for how they created the game/ai, but if so, this is a bit of a trade off with not being able to third-person cheese-look around corners too. Interesting for sure.  

News Comments > Destiny 2 Season Details
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 21, 2017, 19:15 Mordecai Walfish

Star_full Star_full Star_full Star_full Star_half

We can make this a five star thread as soon as someone labels their forum adversary 'Hitler'. We're almost there guys, don't give up!

News Comments > Destiny 2 Day One Issues Outlined
45. Re: Re: Destiny 2 Day One Issues Outlined Oct 21, 2017, 00:33 Mordecai Walfish

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 20, 2017, 21:11:
Been trying to ignore Destiny 2 reviews etc, but after looking at the forums, I'm (-) close to pulling my pre-order.

I decided against putting money towards this title when I read about Activision's "inventive" new patent for matching noobs with vets to milk their playerbase further. Might yarrrr the single player portion, but they won't get a cent from me on any of their upcoming games.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Oct 21, 2017, 00:25 Mordecai Walfish

Excellent game. Like a more combat focused
action FTL with craftable mods and weapons with resource gathering and enemy looting. Full hotas support and plays great with gamepads and mouse and keyboard also.

1708 Comments. 86 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo