Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 1708 (Pro)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 5, 2017, 14:48 Mordecai Walfish

I just watched V For Vendetta last night, for the first time in about 10 years, and it ended just a little bit after midnight. Did not even think about the date today, but that's an awesome little synchronicity.  

"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Over $1M Paid to Rust Community Skin Authors
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 5, 2017, 01:48 Mordecai Walfish

NewMaxx wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 19:22:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 18:36:
25% goes to the creator, but likely Valve is also taking part of that 75% cut along with Facepunch, because the items being distributed through Valve's workshop.

Indeed, to clarify on what I said about PS2 it was actually 25% of net revenue to creators, which means if Steam/Valve took let's say 30% of face value then in actuality the author would only get 17.5% of face (developer 52.5%), but in any case...developers gets three times as much.

"He who controls the workshop controls the metaverse."

"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 4, 2017, 18:36 Mordecai Walfish

NewMaxx wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 18:17:
But if I had to guess how much the developers were taking I'd say closer to where PS2 started off, or 75%.

No guessing needed, but you were spot on, all the same:

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/about/?appid=252490

25% goes to the creator, but likely Valve is also taking part of that 75% cut along with Facepunch, because the items being distributed through Valve's workshop.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 4, 2017, 15:28 Mordecai Walfish

verybad1 wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 13:56:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 11:50:
*Disclaimer* I'm not a Rust player or modder.

Something tells me $1 million is a small fraction of what the Rust developers took in from those skins.

Don't know, don't play Rust, but the people making those skins probably enjoyed it, some were probably learning to potentially become professionals (not part time that is) and they wouldn't have made any money in many other games that don't pay back...so.

It's the same workshop system as TF2. I don't hear any of them complaining, so apparently it is a decent system for those involved.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 3, 2017, 23:36 Mordecai Walfish

Loved this trailer when it first came out

Did someone miss the memo that (in the US at least..) nobody gives a fuck about gratuitous violence being displayed on television/media? On the other hand, if you slip up and show a nipple: heads will roll, people will lose their jobs, and Armageddon will be one step closer to reality. But, violence? naaah. I first watched A Clockwork Orange when I was 8 or 9 years old. Nothing's shocking. (besides the naked human body, which is obviously too grotesque and perverse a thing to allow the sight of)

Off with their heads!

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 3, 2017, 23:23 Mordecai Walfish

Same company that makes that excellent DriveHUB steering wheel compatibility piece of hardware is also responsible for the ChronusMAX, which allows pretty much any controller to be compatible with a plethora of consoles and PC, and does so with better efficiency than pretty much any other driver-based or hardware based method known, besides the Brook universal converters, which it is pretty much on par with. Almost zero input lag from their implementation, which also makes it ideal for using keyboard/mouse on consoles and is used by competitive gaming circles also.  

News Comments > New Overwatch Hero and Map Revealed
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 3, 2017, 18:28 Mordecai Walfish

Was more hyped about the Rein short than the new map and character combined. Nice to have variety but there is a distinct lack of originality in any of that new game content.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 3, 2017, 16:01 Mordecai Walfish

Slick wrote on Nov 3, 2017, 13:21:
that shit needs time to bake properly or else you'll get another half-asses "standing VR" from oculus that was never meant to exist.

Agreed 100%. I want them take whatever time they need to get it right. VR has more potential than pretty much any other tech/gadgets that have come to PC in the past many decades, and will flourish if the experience is the kind of amazeballs experience everyone is telling their friends about.

News Comments > StarCraft II Going Free-to-Play
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 3, 2017, 15:55 Mordecai Walfish

Looking forward to trying out the single player and some co-op maybe, always wanted to give this one a try. Thanks Blizz!  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 3, 2017, 10:41 Mordecai Walfish

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 3, 2017, 10:09:
Twitter originally said it was due to human error,
ruling out the possibility that the dotus had anything to due with it.

Rogue twitter employee made America great again for 11 minutes, sigh.

dotus himself is a "human error"

News Comments > Nioh: Complete Edition Has Incomplete Controls (No Mouse)
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 3, 2017, 10:40 Mordecai Walfish

Most completest edition ever  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 2, 2017, 23:10 Mordecai Walfish

Slick wrote on Nov 2, 2017, 21:27:
That's an insane deal for the Vive. Basically getting a 1070 and a $60 game for free.

Even enticing for someone like me, as I've been holding out for gen-2 headsets.. and my buddy wants me to build him a system so I could put the 1070 towards that and bill him retail cost for it, as I already have a 980ti and don't really have any need for the 1070. Tempting.

News Comments > Descent Underground Next Year
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 1, 2017, 16:23 Mordecai Walfish

KS wrote on Nov 1, 2017, 13:54:
I still have a Logitech Cyberman 2 with the puck for this game. It tilted for pitch and tilt, twisted for turning, and pulled up and down for z-axis translation.

It used the old-style game port connector though.

Had to look that one up. Looks interesting for sure. I think I'd rather use the ol' Spaceorb360 than that contraption though. The buttons on that look the same/as bad as the buttons on my MS Strategic Commander, which is awesome besides the terrible buttons. You should be able to use a gameport>>usb adapter, so long as drivers exist for your O/S. Thats what I do with the commander, with the help of awesome fan-made drivers

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Changes
18. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Changes Nov 1, 2017, 08:09 Mordecai Walfish

Meanwhile Nintendo is off on the sidelines watching these grindy dlc lootbox moneygrab fuckfests, releasing entire self-contained memorable experiences without the need to try and suck their playerbase dry starting on day 1 of the purchase of their new $60 "AAA" game.

At this point I think I'm gonna skip all this bullshit coming out and just buy a Switch with the new Zelda and Mario games. Probably Mario Kart too. I'm just finishing up my first playthrough of Fallout 1 (fucking awesome so far, but I can tell I'm near the end, if these gonzo weapons that shred people to bits that I'm using now are any indication) and might start Fallout 2 before the end of the year too. Maybe Fallout New Vegas after that, as I hear it's a more proper sequel than FO3. Currently watching a video about Interplay's history, to get a better feel as to why a company that released such great games ended up basically non-functional, as they are today.

I really couldn't give a fuck less about the games coming out with these same droning mechanics and fucking lootboxes at the moment. When we look back at this era in gaming that will be one of the least-missed things about any of these games, with many of them unable to be preserved because the servers handling this shit "loot distribution system" that is made to nickel and dime you every step of the way will be completely non-functional at some point. They will become truly disposable entertainment, which not even their developers and publishers thought of in any context besides pre-sales, micro-transactions and overall revenue. For so much beautiful art that is in some of these titles, it's sad to see that gameplay-wise, the art is truly lost in them.

I'm hoping there will be a nice holiday Switch bundle, because it's a purchase I doubt I would regret, unlike most AAA rubbish I'm seeing released now. Funny how just a matter of weeks ago I was very much anticipating the release of Destiny 2 on PC, and how quickly I came to my senses. I don't need a game to sell me on anything besides the merit of the experience included once I purchase it. Dangling carrots for a never-ending cash grab after I've already made the plunge for $50+ on a brand new title just comes across as a hollow-feeling experience any more. It's like forcing myself to eat yet another Igana-on-a-stick out here in the wasteland.. I know there's going to be some radiation along with that tasty snack, but it sure can taste good in the moment. (Not to mention it might actually be made out of people, if you buy them from Bob down at The Hub..)

/end rant

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 1, 2017, 00:04 Mordecai Walfish

Slick wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 15:32:
Damn, I've been waiting for 120hz phones for ages, too bad it will eat the battery too quick with today's tech. Still, bodes well for the future of VR-phone-helmet thingies once they get enough juice to run properly. VR on a 60hz display is pukesville.

My first thought was, "what the fuck would you ever need 120hz for on a phone?!"

You're right; VR definitely would be a good reason, especially with the founding visionaries of the platform like Carmack pointing to mobile as the future of VR in general.

News Comments > EA Financials
7. Re: EA Financials Oct 31, 2017, 23:56 Mordecai Walfish

Jerykk wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 22:23:
BF1 sold 23 million copies? Or am I just misinterpreting that statement?

Sounds about right, including PC, PS4 and XB1 sales. Battlefield games are generally solid performers on any platforms they are released on.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 31, 2017, 18:53 Mordecai Walfish

I wonder how many millions Microsoft is currently trying to throw at PUBG to get it as an Xbox One exclusive  

News Comments > Spintires: MudRunner Rolls Out
5. Re: Spintires: MudRunner Rolls Out Oct 31, 2017, 17:25 Mordecai Walfish

There is something very enticing about bad-assing through muddy terrain and water with various vehicles in these games. I really want to pick this one up and give it a try. So many good driving games already on the backburner though.. but none like this.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 30, 2017, 20:29 Mordecai Walfish

jdreyer wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 14:17:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 13:39:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 13:29:
Rhett wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 10:52:
That is hilarious if true (Denuvo). Denuvo's gonna put itself out of business...

What's the over/under on when it gets cracked? The last few Denuvo protected games have taken a day or so, but no crack so far.
Denuvo is still running even after it's cracked so cpu usage would not change.

Right, but often studios will release a Denuvo free version after it has been cracked.

UBIsoft hasnt done this with any of their previous denuvo-protected titles, AFAIK

News Comments > Steam Top 10
15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 30, 2017, 05:16 Mordecai Walfish

jdreyer wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 02:44:
Creston wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 00:39:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 29, 2017, 14:03:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 29, 2017, 12:19:
PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
the end is nigh for this flash in the pan game /s

I wonder if you combined all the Ass Creed versions, if PUBG would still be #1. Probably would.

Ha. AC has sold somewhere around 80 to 100 million copies in total (depending on which reports you happen to read). PUBG needs at LEAST another six months to get there.

Hmm, if that were the case, you wouldn't expect PUBG to be on top at all, given that it's been for sale for months.

I think the disconnect here is that one person is referring to the sales for the entire franchise and all of it's sequels, and the other just referring to the 3 separate versions of the same game (Origins) that comprise this steam top 10 listing.

--------------------------------------------------------

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 29, 2017, 18:17:
as for ACO it likes them cores, especially the iNtel flavored ones http://digiworthy.com/2017/10/29/assassins-creed-origins-cpu-benches/

Been talking about this subject for a while now, and how games are going to be looking for 8 threads more and more regularly now that the consoles are sporting that spec.

8 threads and 16gb of ram are what system builders should be aiming for now as a minimum, IMO.

1708 Comments. 86 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo