Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 2052 (Senior)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Fallout 76 Blowing Off Steam
3. Re: Fallout 76 Cools on Steam Aug 7, 2018, 00:26 Mordecai Walfish

all the major publishers are in "he who controls the spice.." mode with their storefronts and pushing all these AAA games as exclusives to drive adoption instead of actually creating a better or more compelling experience than the current leader. It's quite funny because theyre essentially forcing people to try their broke ass shit and making themselves look much worse as a result based on user experience. The Bethesda launcher is just about as bad as the epic launcher, mostly functionable and non intrusive if you know what to shut off and how to get around some of the fucky quirks (like reinstalling a game from local backup in the bethesda launcher)  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 7, 2018, 00:12 Mordecai Walfish

1badmf wrote on Aug 6, 2018, 23:48:
does the song have to be about the sin or just have it in the title? cuz i don't think U2's Pride is about the sin of pride.

as for greed, i would suggest Pink Floyd's Money

pride - any rap song from the mid 90s and 2ks. Biggie's mo' money mo' problems comes to mind.

sloth - afroman/because i got high

gluttony - drawing a blank man, sorry. note, the biblical gluttony can be metaphorical as well as about food, as in consuming far more than is healthy of anything. i suppose Because I Got High could work for that too since it's about consuming way too much weed XD

lol that is *perfect* for sloth, and yeah has crossover potential to gluttony too. i was thinking "old fashioned morphine" by jolie holland for sloth and it had similar crossover potential but went with blue's pick as i didnt see any other comments until now. thanks for chiming in, agreed 100% on the pride pick thats what i went with as well.

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 7, 2018, 00:02 Mordecai Walfish

Blue wrote on Aug 6, 2018, 22:15:

Inspired some real oldies for me:

Gluttony

Creeque Alley - The Mamas & the Papas

Pride

U2 (duh)

Greed

Richard Cory - Simon and Garfunkel

Sloth

I'm So Tired - The Beatles

Great picks, none taken either besides the U2 song. Since that was picked I went with J-Live - Braggin' Writes for pride. He's from NY too, and what says pride more than hip-hop/rap?

Thanks for the help!

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 6, 2018, 20:50 Mordecai Walfish

Random question here.. music lovers of bluesnews, I'm looking for a few songs with certain themes, for a music appreciation group I'm in. We have a daily theme, with 24 hours to submit songs, but today they threw a curveball at us and the topic is "Seven Deadly Sins", with one song entry per each sin. (usually 2 songs per day max are supposed to be submitted)

So far I have an obvious one "LUST.", by Kendrick Lamar (probably the best track off his last album), for Wrath I have "Ænema" by Tool, and for Envy I picked "Lounge Act" by Nirvana, but I still need entries for:

Gluttony

Pride

Greed

Sloth

not trying to get biblical or anything, just don't have time to pour through music to find fitting songs, as I'm working a 12hr shift today.

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 6, 2018, 10:34 Mordecai Walfish

500 GB ssd for $80: https://www.rakuten.com/shop/thekeykey/product/211109/

w/ coupon code SAVE15

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 5, 2018, 22:54 Mordecai Walfish

I also had a problem with my win10 install last night. I dual boot 7/10, and when i went to shut down windows 10 after 4 or 5 days of uptime last night, it simply did not respond. ctrl-alt-del also did not function. I was worried about a particularly nasty storm coming through with tornados, and with no UPC connected currently I dont want to risk things too much in severe weather.. and there windows is just completely ignoring the fact i was trying to shut it down, with no notice as to why. you could click shut down in the start menu but nothing happened, ctrl-alt-del wouldnt even bring up the normal green splash screen with options. Finally i shut down explorer.exe by accessing the task manager from right clicking the task bar, then relaunched it and tried shutting down again, this time through both the ctrl-alt-del splash (which started pulling up) and the start menu. pressed the physical power button as well.. and still nothing, until like 5 minutes later when i was a hair away from a cold shutdown, then it finally started shutting down and windows stated it is "configuring updates", which is likely the cause for *all* of this, but I was never notified that it was doing this (or anything).

Shit like this is why I keep a windows 7 partition on all my machines still. Can't trust in windows 10 still as much as I can in 7, and microsoft has proven this to be the case multiple times in the past couple months alone.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 4, 2018, 07:04 Mordecai Walfish

there is obviously some reason he is doing this, even though it is overturned on the fcc level. perhaps some precedent set in this case is looked at by the fcc/isp's as dangerous to their current "fuck the internet" strategy, and they are trying to cover their bases for future arguments/cases that may try and reinstate the net neutrality rules.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Ground Battle Video
27. Re: Star Citizen Ground Battle Video Aug 3, 2018, 15:49 Mordecai Walfish

Nullity wrote on Aug 3, 2018, 13:56:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 3, 2018, 13:50:
ItBurn wrote on Aug 3, 2018, 12:18:
The fact that they took 50 people at a station, put them in various ships, some holding like 20 and flew them to another planet for Battlefield-like combat, all without loading screens is crazy impressive technically, regardless of the latency.
But who wants to wait X minutes riding on a ship before the action even starts?
I've had this thought too. The technology and experience that they're going for - seamlessly fly from planet surface into space, then through hyper space, and back down to another planet surface, etc - sounds pretty cool in theory. And I'm sure experiencing it the first few times *would* be cool. But after that, it just takes too long and constantly delays the things you're trying to get to. Who wants to spend all that time getting to another location every time? It would get old very quickly, and would only make sense it it's optional and you can fast-travel wherever you wanted to go. At that point, why even spend years on the tech? Is it even worth it in the long run?

Calling it now: The game will release with a credit card reader you can use to engage warp speed and skip to the action. Maybe make it a group event where everyone on the ship has to put their cards in at the same time and get charged together, co-op style!
WELCOME TO THE FUTURE OF GAMING

News Comments > Star Citizen Ground Battle Video
25. Re: Star Citizen Ground Battle Video Aug 3, 2018, 15:43 Mordecai Walfish

Damn with the piddly amount I've invested in the game I probably won't be doing much besides maybe being a space janitor, working my way up to the prized golden mop. I hear that thing sends space dust to an entire different dimension! Keen!  

News Comments > Weekend Free Games on Steam
1. Re: Weekend Free Games on Steam Aug 3, 2018, 15:31 Mordecai Walfish

Finally picked up Tekken 7 deluxe edition with that discount. Excellent game.

Street fighter 5 on the other hand, is still a complete mess 3+ years after release. They still haven't managed to figure out how to patch the game without having you download all 14 gigs each time even the slightest of changes is made. Same capcom that thought it was cool to include a rootkit in one of their patches also. What a joke of a company they have become.. but at least the newest resident evil was decent.

This comment was edited on Aug 3, 2018, 15:53.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 31, 2018, 04:06 Mordecai Walfish

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 30, 2018, 13:47:
Slick wrote on Jul 30, 2018, 11:15:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 30, 2018, 04:53:
RedEye9 wrote on Jul 29, 2018, 15:20:
Window can remove windows.old with disk cleanup. There are some other "cleaner" urilities that also have that magical power like ccleaner and glary utilities.
"magical power" -> %windir%\system32\cleanmgr.exe ^^
Magical power: Browse to folder in file explorer, Shift-Del. Article done.
It's a special backup folder and can't be deleted by normal methods, hence the reason for the article.

What's even worse is that Microsoft automatically deletes the folder after a preset period (10 days, I think) because why would anyone ever want go roll back on day 11 to infinity. Linux is beginning to sound better every day.

windows.old sat around on my computer for months before i removed it. This was recently too, and i dont think i changed anything that would effect this, so I personally had a different experience in 64bit windows 10 than what you claim

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 30, 2018, 16:48 Mordecai Walfish

Ozmodan wrote on Jul 30, 2018, 15:09:
Anyone buying an I9 has their head up their ass. Unless you super cool it. the chip runs hot and hot means it throttles itself. That does not even compare the extra processing that Intel requires for meltdown.

Secondly that is a comparison of a $2000 chip verses a $299 chip.

Are you from the future? Can you tell me if the rumor is true about Intel soldering their new chips, of so? Thanks.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 29, 2018, 03:10 Mordecai Walfish

jdreyer wrote on Jul 28, 2018, 19:26:
What the hell is it with people pooping in public??

We went to the moon.. why can't we poop in public?

News Comments > Quake Champions Adding CTF and More
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 29, 2018, 02:59 Mordecai Walfish

about. fucking. time.

bots were removed recently, also.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 27, 2018, 22:45 Mordecai Walfish

the world as a whole has "downvoted" facebook into the largest loss in stock market history. off to a pretty good start!  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 27, 2018, 15:22 Mordecai Walfish

Beamer wrote on Jul 27, 2018, 11:26:
Out of curiosity, does anyone have a good game that they've played with non-gamers? My GF is curious, but has never really played anything. I bought one of the Harry Potter Lego games on GoG, but put in about 20 minutes on my own to give it a test and it's one of the most dull things I've ever played.

I'm leaning towards A Wolf Among Us, but it might be too gritty, and not sure how she'll like the Quicktimey stuff, even if just making a snap decision with a controller she's unfamiliar with. I'd prefer something two player with puzzles, and maybe the Harry Potter game gets better, but man, it just felt like it lacked the need for both skill and thinking.

Puzzlers like that new Tetris on steam might be a good pick. Also can never go wrong with katamari. If you don't have a console it was on then pcsx2 will do the trick. Maybe a fun and forgiving driving game like a kart racer?

Edit: also maybe sea of thieves. Not single screen but fits the bill very well.

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 27, 2018, 01:42 Mordecai Walfish

Cutter wrote on Jul 26, 2018, 14:00:
Motherfucker! I hate cheap people. Disco'd the PC took it outside and gave it a good cleaning. All amped to install the new SSD and...? Fuckers didn't include the mounting screws? Are you fucking kidding me? $140 HD and you can't throw in 4 tiny screws?

Usually your case comes with more than enough spares for whatever drives you want to add, i know i have a little baggie of like 50 of the fuckers

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 27, 2018, 01:38 Mordecai Walfish

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 26, 2018, 20:14:

It's time for Internet 2.0 because 1.0 is a failure where security is concerned.

That's because 1.0 and the technologies built to link to it were not made with security in mind. It's been decades of patchwork to make sure things just keep flowing without major issues. 2.0 can't come soon enough. Bring on the fucky ip addresses, I'm ready!

News Comments > Steam Chat Launches
21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 26, 2018, 01:38 Mordecai Walfish

subx wrote on Jul 25, 2018, 05:33:
Adding the params -nochatui -nofriendsui when starting Steam seems to kill it for the moment.

that is way helpful. can still bring up chat after steam launches and it is the old style with the option to have offline mode and everything.

sweet.

2052 Comments. 103 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo