Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 2000 (Senior)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Sep 12, 2017, 00:51 Mordecai Walfish

Why do we get updates on which champions are in the "free" pool for league of legends every week? People who play the game are gonna see when they log in regardless, and tons of f2p games follow the same model of having a different set of stuff that is usually locked rotate out daily/weekly, but those don't get mentioned at all here.. I could see a LoL dedicated site having that kind of update weekly, but it seems strange at Blues, where I would guess hardly any of the visitors really play league. The game is huge though, what do I know. Maybe everyone here does play it and just never talks about it on the forums..  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > First Emotion Processing Unit Launches
15. Re: First Emotion Processing Unit Launches Sep 11, 2017, 20:55 Mordecai Walfish

If they could pull off something convincing in a simulation-thriller type game in the vein of the movies 2001:a space odyssey or Moon, that would be an interesting way to prove their tech is ready for primetime. Games like the elder scrolls that are heavy on dialogue interaction but feel a bit stale and lifeless would benefit heavily from tech like this, if implemented decently.. but it seems like a ton of work to get something like this working on that scale. Maybe in conjunction with the new 10+ core/thread consumer processors coming out now, something like this is more possible though. Intriguing, for sure.  

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 9, 2017, 14:00 Mordecai Walfish

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 9, 2017, 13:45:
Reason #372 to never shop at BestBuy.

It is crazy how much backlash Kaspersky is getting. I wonder if AV programs from the US get a similar treatment in Russia? I personally won't use an AV program from either USA or Russia. Israel and China also.

Germany is where I ended up putting my trust, Avira to be specific.

They have the best combination of performance & detection results in the latest charts from AV-comparatives and AV-test, pretty much tying with Kaspersky which has been consistently one of the best. I use the free version as I don't want to get any "software suite", and get around the ad's with a small utility called "BGPKiller".

Many people swear by windows defender, but that is the worst performing of any AV out there, and when there are free options that don't drag your entire system down as much as windows defender does, it's a no-brainer to go with one of them, IMO.

News Comments > Destiny 2 Curse of Osiris Expansion Revealed
21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 9, 2017, 13:04 Mordecai Walfish

Slick wrote on Sep 9, 2017, 01:36:
I'm assembling my fuckwit to English dictionary, I'd appreciate a proper definition.

LOL

You've been slicked. Wash up.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 8, 2017, 16:06 Mordecai Walfish

Verno wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 13:05:
Way to go Google. Buy Motorola which had some great ideas, software and designs then kill it off. Now buy HTC instead. Well done.

The only thing that could be more disastrous than Googles software efforts is "coordinated" Google hardware. I think we're at 4 different versions of messengers alone, that company has no unifying vision or direction.

Google bought Motorola for its patent portfolio. They never had any plans to resuscitate their fledgling mobile business. The HTC purchase would give them direct access to HTC's advanced manufacturing caabilities, as they are one of the few smartphone makers who don't outsource production to foxconn, Samsung, etc. HTC also has a number of patents that I'm sure Google would like to get their hands on as well. If it goes through we may very well see Google making its phones like the pixel in-house, in the future, instead of outsourcing those projects.

News Comments > Get Mirage: Arcane Warfare Free Today
13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 7, 2017, 22:41 Mordecai Walfish

Dev wrote on Sep 6, 2017, 22:49:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 6, 2017, 20:50:
I dunno, watching vids if this game, I felt it was kind of generic looking and not fun. Was surprised this came from the Chivalry guys.
Apparently you aren't alone, what with that just about 50% steam rating.

Free is free though. I grabbed it. Dunno if I'll ever play it but I have it.

its like that because its a multiplayer only game that didnt have any players. read the reviews to see the whole picture

News Comments > LawBreakers Roadmap
19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 7, 2017, 22:11 Mordecai Walfish

SlimRam wrote on Sep 7, 2017, 21:16:
#BrokeAF

lol

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 7, 2017, 19:59 Mordecai Walfish

In destiny you frequently see yourself in 3rd person with the abilities and cutscenes, so it's not like you never see yourself in the game.

I don't get the uproar about these.. unless the prices are ridiculous. You get the shaders dropped in-game constantly, and whatever armor or gear you use them on retains the coloring, you just can't apply it to each item you have and everything you get infinitely. Big deal. It's just new colors for your Barbie..

Also, they don't take up any inventory space from what I've seen. The shaders have their own separate page in the menus where they are kept. Don't know if space there is limited though, but from what I've seen they don't occupy the main inventory.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 6, 2017, 16:55 Mordecai Walfish

Creston wrote on Sep 6, 2017, 16:37:
It makes sense if your title isn't selling well, and you need high volumes of players in order to make your title sell well.

Smart of them to take this step.

cliffyb will take years to figure this out.

Cliffy B wouldn't be able to lower the price right now (on Steam) if he wanted to. Steam does not allow price discounts for a set amount of time after a games release (30 days iirc)

Lawbreakers should have stayed F2P like was planned, and I expect them to either switch to that model or do something like the Mirage devs are doing now. We'll see. Either way, I look forward to giving that a try if they have a decent player base and a more accessible price in the future.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 6, 2017, 12:53 Mordecai Walfish

Darks wrote on Sep 6, 2017, 12:34:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Sep 6, 2017, 12:00:
game is fun and worth a try if you liked chivalry. whether i'll actually play it depends on if they fixed the game enough from the buggy broken mess it was when it launched. worth a shot for $free.99

Is this game all about PVP? or are there other aspects like PVE and Coop? Give me some details please, Because from the looks of it, this game is pretty much dead and why they are giving it away free today. Then its getting a price slash after today.

So, basically, they are trying to lure people back to the game by giving it away free.

Team-based PVP with objectives or deathmatch modes, similar to Chivalry. Also some servers do 1v1 arenas.

They admit to the reasons you stated for the free giveaway and price drop. They want more people to play their game because the launch was a massive flop. Even worse than Lawbreakers, but not a AAA title. Their launch was ruined for a good number of reasons. Buggy game, high price point ($30), and also there were some steam issues on the day of their launch that prevented people from finding games. I think there was an overwatch event going on at the time and another big fps came out at the same time as this did, so really it seemed all the cards were stacked against them. There really was no excuse for how buggy the damn game was though. Even things that were broken (and never fixed) in chivalry were present in mirage. Not necessarily game mechanics, because they did improve those quite a bit, but configuration options for keybindings and other basic stuff. Things you should have working before you release a game, IMO.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 6, 2017, 12:08 Mordecai Walfish

MacLeod wrote on Sep 6, 2017, 10:59:
It's not exactly a ressurection... Sure, their last design was 2010, but the M570 is still currently in production, as is another model.

I actually used the M570 one, as I found the thumb movement to be precise and works well in small spaces. I only recently switched to using a mouse because of a thumb injury that made it painful to use, but I still have a trackball sitting in my drawer at both my office and my home.

I wonder if they increased the size in relation to the M570... their original wired one - the Trackman Wheel - had a slightly bigger footprint and was actually more comfortable.

Kevin loves his trackballs! Pimp

News Comments > Hurl VR Next Week
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 6, 2017, 12:07 Mordecai Walfish

J wrote on Sep 6, 2017, 00:30:
Not the best choice of a title for a VR game

IMO it would be the perfect name for an "extreme" rollercoaster VR simulation game.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 6, 2017, 12:00 Mordecai Walfish

game is fun and worth a try if you liked chivalry. whether i'll actually play it depends on if they fixed the game enough from the buggy broken mess it was when it launched. worth a shot for $free.99  

News Comments > Destiny 2 Microtransactions?
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 4, 2017, 16:14 Mordecai Walfish

Cutter wrote on Sep 4, 2017, 14:22:
Why doesn't the community make it's own skins with the editor like all good PC games (used to do)? Oh wait!

Multiplayer would be nothing but neon green TankJR's with massive tits and robo-dong, that's why.

News Comments > The Witcher Turning 10
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 4, 2017, 15:49 Mordecai Walfish

I still remember being so excited about this game that I ordered 5 copies of the European version for my friends and family so they would not have the inconvenience of censored titties.

I do not regret the purchase =)

News Comments > Ark Expansion Announced
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 3, 2017, 18:15 Mordecai Walfish

If you turn down things heavily it performs decently, but not good by any stretch of the imagination. Runs like dogshit on a 4790k & 980ti and SSD, unless the graphics are turned down quite a bit. And once I inspected the install files and saw it was taking up more disk space on my SSD than even GTA V (88+ GB!), it was an easy choice to uninstall this game. I bought it for $10 or $15 on sale during EA to play a bit with a buddy, and played it once again after the "full release" to pretty much find out it's the same game with the same bugs and performance issues it had 2 years ago, and promptly uninstalled.

As HorrorScope said, this was probably a marketing move so they could pump more expansions out without backlash. That seems like the likeliest scenario, because the game itself is still a mess.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 3, 2017, 03:54 Mordecai Walfish

What does it take to run Destiny 2 at 1080p60?

ToastBoXOneX

News Comments > Songbringer Released
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 2, 2017, 17:12 Mordecai Walfish

Nucas wrote on Sep 2, 2017, 17:05:
this looks really, really gorgeous in motion. it actually genuinely rings of games from the 90s; like it's actually trying to push the boundaries of the art style and make the most of it, like the games had to back then, and not just putting on a retro-game suit.

that said, whether it clicks with you or not seems to depend on if "procedurally generated roguelike zelda" appeals to you. at this point that collection of words doesn't even get an eye roll from me anymore, just bored contempt.

Suppa7 wrote on Sep 2, 2017, 09:10:
The reality is most people are mediocre at what they do and hence most games are reflections of that.
this was extra funny to me because you fucked up an url link in your post.

Typical human with his mediocre posting habits.

News Comments > Road Rage Next Month
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 2, 2017, 05:02 Mordecai Walfish

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 1, 2017, 13:13:
Whoops, when I first read this, I thought they meant Road Redemption...which apparently is going to be in Early Access forever.

These guys have a lot of balls, using the original Road Rage name; I hope their game turns out to be awesome, mostly for my sake, but for theirs too.

The original was Road Rash. I don't recall any other games with the name Road Rage.

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 30, 2017, 21:28 Mordecai Walfish

jdreyer wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 19:37:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 14:49:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 12:54:
Lawbreakers needed some obvious way of differentiating itself from Overwatch, like adding vehicles.

At a EPIC games meeting ~20 years ago:

"Unreal needs some obvious way of differentiating itself from Quake, like adding vehicles"

20 years ago they were working on the original UT. They differentiated it by having a brighter color palette, over the top weapons, a wide variety of interesting maps, and more, better game modes.

The thing is, Overwatch and Lawbreakers look very similar: both are hero shooters with unique characters, the settings are near-future sci-fi, weapons look similar, etc. Even the game titles are thematically similar. It's hard to horn in on any well-established game, Blizzard games especially so.

Lawbreakers has "#skilledAF" and other edgy stuff integrated in to it, that't not unique enough for you?!

2000 Comments. 100 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo