Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 1703 (Pro)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 7, 2017, 19:37 Mordecai Walfish

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jan 7, 2017, 18:31:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jan 7, 2017, 17:43:
Go diy with it. The emulation on the nes classic sucks.

I've had zero problems with mine. It even gets the framerate slowdowns in games like Mega Man 2 right. Plus, the CRT filter nails the look of early 90s gaming perfectly.

the emulator itself is missing different graphical and audio layers from the NES, resulting in poorer emulation than pretty much any NES emulator available. That said, if you're happy with it, that is what matters first and foremost. The issues with the missing elements will be a much larger problem for people adding other roms that heavily use those portions of the NES. Only a couple games that are packed in with the nes classic have issues with it.

"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
2. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jan 7, 2017, 17:43 Mordecai Walfish

Task wrote on Jan 7, 2017, 12:39:
Haha, that's brilliant! I've been hesitant to buy one since I don't really like a handful of those 30 games they included on there. It's either that or make a DIY with a raspberry pi.

Go diy with it. The emulation on the nes classic sucks.

"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 6, 2017, 21:09 Mordecai Walfish

Hows that "courage" working out for you, Mr. Cook?  

News Comments > Overwatch Nerfs Detailed
17. Re: Overwatch Nerfs Detailed Jan 6, 2017, 19:56 Mordecai Walfish

Pigeon wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 17:15:
Phasenoise wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 16:26:

I'm guessing it's some xmas rush of mouthbreathers or maybe young kids?

I got matchmaked into a group of what sounded like tweens, squeaky cracking voices and all. It was awful, I wanted to jam a screw driver in my ear and pound it the rest of the way in with a hammer. 'Well he called me a bad Winston', 'Yo, don't mess with mah boy bro, he'll get mad you don't want him mad'. We actually ended up winning, but I couldn't hit the exit game button fast enough after the match.

But just to again echo what everyone else is saying about the matchmaking, IT BITES. I really miss traditional style servers, I'd usually find 2 or 3 with a good player base and stick to those. With this game being so heavily reliant on teams working together (it's quite difficult IMO for any single player to truly carry) I really wonder why it seems like so many players have no idea what they're doing.

That "good player base" is what your friend's list is for. Send some invites out and team up with people you want to. It's a great way to set a foundation for better team work.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 6, 2017, 13:35 Mordecai Walfish

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 10:48:
A Liar's Archive, sweet.

I love that the whole archive is fact-checked for what he says, and cross-referenced with what else he's said that contradicts that. It could prove a valuable tool for preventing his re-election or possible impeachment.

News Comments > Overwatch Nerfs Detailed
8. Re: Overwatch Nerfs Detailed Jan 6, 2017, 13:30 Mordecai Walfish

The D.Va nerf is the most minimal of the bunch. If you kicked ass with her before, you will still kick ass with her now.

Biotic grenade was the best ability in the game, hands-down, and was solely responsible for the current boring-ass meta. I'm glad to see it get nerfed so heavily. Ana was a required pick for any team before, and with a 2nd healer and 3 tanks they would clean up shop 75+% of the time vs teams not using that meta. Things need to get shaken up and blizzard responded to that correctly, IMO.

The "Targets are now pulled directly in front of Roadhog (rather than straight to him)" bit is confusing. It is describing how the person being hooked will always be pulled directly in front of him now (in his crosshair), instead of to his side/back/top/bottom, as was possible before.

News Comments > Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan Pulled
2. Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan Pulled Jan 6, 2017, 00:47 Mordecai Walfish

nin wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 19:54:
It's activision! They're "remaster" it (ie do nothing) and rerelease it for what ever future movie in a few years...at full price!

And no doubt port it to android/ios, and maybe even remove all the characters besides one that you get to start with and allow you to play the others with microtransactions!

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 5, 2017, 10:37 Mordecai Walfish

Found a video I wanted to share here of some very cool real-time rendering tech being worked on (nVidia gameworks / unreal engine 4) currently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQSzmngTbtw

News Comments > Diablo III Anniversary Patch
3. Re: Diablo III Anniversary Patch Jan 4, 2017, 23:05 Mordecai Walfish

If Diablo III would have released in the state it's in now, it probably would have been a critical success and felt like a proper sequel to the Diablo lineage. Shame they fucked this up so bad, but nice they've acknowledged that with the continued updates since release.  

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 4, 2017, 23:03 Mordecai Walfish

Redmask wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 07:49:
The problem with these things is that you can't describe the difference to someone in a way they will understand without first hand experience. I've owned both Freesync and now a Gsync monitor, Gsync is better in my opinion and yes its noticeable. My old Freesync monitor only had a 30-75hz range, my Gsync monitor is anything from 1-144hz. It is immediately in almost every type of game for framerate alone but the biggest difference is the reduction of input lag from Vsync. Never having to worry about tearing, having a much more fluid visual experience and little to no input latency is huge. It's the kind of thing you get used to and then start not to appreciate, only to go to a buddy's place and see how weird his 60hz monitor seems by comparison.

If you're going to do it then go big or go home. Don't make the same mistake I did with a cheapie Freesync monitor that sucks then upgrading to Gsync later. Just pick one format and go with it. Gsync rocks but you're locked to Nvidia. Freesync is mediocre but is hardware agnostic. With AMD not even being competitive anymore I just couldn't justify their nonsense any longer. Monopoly or not Nvidia owns performance from the top of the market to the bottom.

Good freesync monitors coming out now can hit ranges of 30-144, but the minimum number is still a bit high, as any game with even a single hitch under the 30fps range is hugely jarring with freesync, much more so than v-sync would even be.. and these newer freesync displays are in same price range as their g-sync competition.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 4, 2017, 21:07 Mordecai Walfish

Beamer wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 14:12:
Creston wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 13:54:
Clearly the solution is to put five more minutes of unskippable "PIRACY IS NOT A VICTIMLESS CRIME!" bullshit whines on officially bought DVDs.

In fact, let's put such a notice every five minutes during the actual movie! That will get everyone's attention!

The FBI/DHS (whichever tard agency is behind those), hard at work.

We all know what doesn't have those warnings, right?

Haha! Nagging never fixes problems.

One of my favorite things to do when I was backing up my DVD collection in the mid 2000's was to strip the DVD's of all this garbage.

News Comments > Firewatch Sells 1M
8. Re: Firewatch Sells 1M Jan 4, 2017, 20:56 Mordecai Walfish

Acleacius wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 18:26:
Gratz on their success, good to see a small team of experienced developers moving away from publishers.

It's more of a story/walking simulator to me, the choices don't mean much at all and has a poor ending. It's an interesting story, if your into that sort of thing. There's no real need to ever play it again, once you know what's going on. It's not like you can improve on your game experience.

The biggest Independent developer surprise hit, for me was Survivalist. Even though it's two years old, it was new to me and couldn't stop playing it. Lighter

For me that game was Subnautica. Absolutely beautiful world crafted by their devs and I was thrilled to see them make the Steam top 100 Silver category for 2016 as an independent game studio, especially with the game being such a dramatic departure from their previous game (Natural Selection 2)

This comment was edited on Jan 4, 2017, 23:07.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
6. Re: Hardware Reviews Jan 4, 2017, 20:49 Mordecai Walfish

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 14:29:
Agent-Zero wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 13:05:
The Intel Core i7-7700K is what happens when a chip company stops trying.

lol.. AMD better not fuck this up

Exactly. I have been interested in Zen/Ryzen for sometime due to AMD's commitment to bringing a cost effective 8 core CPU to the masses. They have a golden opportunity here to win in a big way on both price and capability.

Uh.. AMD has been putting out "cost-effective 8 core CPU's" for over half a decade now, the problem is their single core performance has been abysmal while Intel's skyrocketed (until they had no competition and kind of hit a plateau). I'm more interested in their recent commitment to IPC performance and getting their individual cores up to the level that Intel has, while maintaining a competitive price point. This is what will save AMD. Simply churning out "cost effective 8 core CPU's" is what got them into this position.

News Comments > New Overwatch Map Launches
2. Re: New Overwatch Map Launches Jan 4, 2017, 03:26 Mordecai Walfish

yeah tons of people are. usually under a minute to be queued up into a game.  

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 3, 2017, 20:14 Mordecai Walfish

Fantaz wrote on Jan 3, 2017, 18:57:
"That's understandable because G-Sync is the significantly better tech right now and it's very desirable with enthusiasts as a result."

well that's your opinions since a lot would argue that freesync is better than gsync?

The only people who would argue that are those who are looking at price alone. Freesync simply is not at the level it needs to be yet, but I really do hope it gets there soon.

News Comments > DOUBLE DRAGON IV Next Month
8. Re: DOUBLE DRAGON IV Next Month Dec 26, 2016, 18:53 Mordecai Walfish

Agent-Zero wrote on Dec 26, 2016, 15:12:
MacLeod wrote on Dec 26, 2016, 13:52:
I don't even understand why they went with NES looking graphics, when they could have went with a version that looked like the original arcade Double Dragon, which had way better graphics than the NES version.

same here.. makes no sense other than the fact that the NES artwork is super easy to recreate and animate in comparison

btw - if anyone is interested, there is a new game in the River City Ransom series coming out, https://www.facebook.com/rivercityransomgame/

it looks really good - the art is 8-bit, but its extremely well done in terms of animation and variety and art design and all that

i think its going to be the same kind of open-world rpg-lite game as the old ones were, but you can pick from a roster of like 20+ characters or something, and they all have different sets of moves - like street fighter or mortal kombat, etc

Ark System Works just became the publisher for River City Ransom Underground, so both of these games are in very capable hands. River City Ransom Underground is gonna blow this Double Dragon throwback out of the water though. They're doing an incredible job on that game, and as a day one backer from their kickstarter, I can't wait to finally play the game. RCR was also one of my favorite NES games without a doubt. Double Dragon looks like it's just trying to ride the current wave of NES nostalgia that's been so profitable this holiday season. RCR:U on the other hand has completely original artwork/animations and looks fantastic.

News Comments > GRID for Free
19. Re: GRID for Free Dec 23, 2016, 15:59 Mordecai Walfish

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 23, 2016, 15:53:
Steam itself acts as an intermediary service that other sites can use to verify your identity. It's like how most mainstream sites let you login via Facebook for comments or whatever. You are not giving your login credentials to that site, they are sending a request to Steam asking, "who is this guy, does he have an account with you, can we see his basic info?" Upon receiving that requests, Steam has you login on their website as normal and it sends back the reply, "yes, he is johnnygamer29, he owns this many games, blah blah blah."

I actually am not sure why Humble Bundle does that anymore, though, since the Steam API no longer supports automatically redeeming keys. That was a good trick for them before, where you couldn't even access the actual raw CD key, so people couldn't re-sell them. They give you the key for this free copy of GRID, though it says there's an expiration date for the end of the month... Not sure if that means the key will become invalid or it just won't give you one if you don't claim it on HB by then.

The keys will not work on steam anymore after that date. With all the reseller fuckery they are really doing a lot of different stuff to circumvent 3rd party sellers.

News Comments > GRID for Free
11. Re: GRID for Free Dec 23, 2016, 08:14 Mordecai Walfish

Acleacius wrote on Dec 23, 2016, 02:48:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 22, 2016, 21:52:
Very nice, Humble. I picked this up earlier today, whilst pondering the Steam sales.

For those of you concerned about giving your Steam info, you usually have to anyway for any Humble purchase that has Steam as a requirement.
I mentioned earlier, being hesitant. Guess I hadn't bought from Humble before. It must have been other sites like Bundle Stars, which never ask for such info. When GOG offers free games, they want your Steam account so they can see what games you own. So I never took the free/matching offers. Nor have I ever given my Steam info out to anyone. I'll just wait, it's apparently $2.70 during sales, so that's reasonable. Too bad it's not CooP.

Gratz, too all they got it for free!

Humble bundle made this change to prevent it's free and discounted offerings from ending up on game reseller sites like g2a and kinguin. The purchase or giveaway is tied to your account so it cannot be re-sold. Previously if they did something like this, they would have people creating a gazillion accounts and getting the freebie to sell elsewhere.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 22, 2016, 15:09 Mordecai Walfish

GRiD is free from humble bundle right now, and for the next 24 hrs:

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/grid-free-game

News Comments > Steam Winter Sale and Awards Voting Begin
4. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Awards Voting Begin Dec 22, 2016, 15:06 Mordecai Walfish

GRiD is free from humble bundle right now, and for the next 24 hrs:

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/grid-free-game

1703 Comments. 86 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo