Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 2000 (Senior)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Halloween Sale Begins
14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 27, 2017, 10:30 Mordecai Walfish

Dead Cells and Inside are on sale. Two of my favorite platformers from the past year.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus System Specs
15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 27, 2017, 03:49 Mordecai Walfish

NKD wrote on Oct 24, 2017, 08:45:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Oct 24, 2017, 03:56:
with 8 cores/threads being the norm for consoles now, games are going to be looking for that as a minimum. the days of 4 cores being adequate for (AAA at least) gaming are coming to an end. it will be interesting to see how this game performs on i5's with decent speed, with those stated requirements.

that being said, it's hard to imagine a game not running well on a decent i5 compared to an AMD 8350.

Games really haven't made much headway in scaling beyond 4 cores, and Hyperthreading isn't 8 cores anyway. You're actually better off disabling Hyperthreading on an i7 for gaming, because most games it's actually giving you a measurable performance decrease.

Some DX12 games actually scale pretty well up to about 6 cores and do get some boost from Hyperthreading.

This may have been solid advice 3 or 4 years ago, but most games don't have any issues with newer i7's implementation of hyperthreading. Turning it off isn't really helpful for gaming as it was in the past.

News Comments > Steam Halloween Sale Begins
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 27, 2017, 03:01 Mordecai Walfish

"You know how I know you're a dick, Ted? Your Steam library."  

News Comments > Destiny 2 Bans Follow-up
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 25, 2017, 22:48 Mordecai Walfish

Alamar wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 22:34:
ItBurn wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 21:20:
These are usually really competitive or professional players.

I've been pretty competitive... And I love to win... Which is why I never cheat... Cheating invalidates the 'win', so there's no joy to take from it... At least for me.

Exactly.

Not going to see many cheaters in the Co-op portion anyways.. the Call of Halo multiplayer modes in this game are where you'll find 99% of the cheaters.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 25, 2017, 13:21 Mordecai Walfish

Just think how good they could have made their last console (Xbox One) if they didn't neuter the system by forcing this as a pack-in at launch. Not only could the money/resources for this lame-duck tech have gone into better internal parts of the console (you know.. the parts that MATTER for gaming), but they wouldn't have had to reserve a portion of their already struggling processor just for this fad hardware that they had some good success with on the 360. They should have just made the XB1 backwards compatible with the Kinect, and release an updated version so people could decide for themselves whether they wanted to get it, instead of forcing it upon each and every person who bought their new console. What a shitty Microsoft-worthy move.  

News Comments > Newegg in Hot Water
20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 24, 2017, 14:57 Mordecai Walfish

Smart builders never ordered *everything* from newegg. Plenty of good sites with varying deals/prices.. it's always been a mix-up of about 5 different sources. If you have a Micro Center nearby that is a great source too. Best b&m by a long shot. That said, Newegg certainly has gone downhill on their pricing.. either that or everyone else caught up.  

News Comments > Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus System Specs
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 24, 2017, 03:56 Mordecai Walfish

with 8 cores/threads being the norm for consoles now, games are going to be looking for that as a minimum. the days of 4 cores being adequate for (AAA at least) gaming are coming to an end. it will be interesting to see how this game performs on i5's with decent speed, with those stated requirements.

that being said, it's hard to imagine a game not running well on a decent i5 compared to an AMD 8350.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 22, 2017, 22:54 Mordecai Walfish

Cool seeing at least what a theoretical fastest-run would be through Mirror's Edge. Now we need someone to go through the entire game and match it so we have an actual record.  

News Comments > First-Person Mode Within The Evil Within 2
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 22, 2017, 19:41 Mordecai Walfish

With how good this looks from the in-game footage (character shadows still casting appropriately, being able to see the character's hand when sneaking by corners, view bob, etc), I'm surprised it wasn't just an option in the game to begin with. Perhaps it makes aiming a bit too easy for how they created the game/ai, but if so, this is a bit of a trade off with not being able to third-person cheese-look around corners too. Interesting for sure.  

News Comments > Destiny 2 Season Details
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 21, 2017, 19:15 Mordecai Walfish

Star_full Star_full Star_full Star_full Star_half

We can make this a five star thread as soon as someone labels their forum adversary 'Hitler'. We're almost there guys, don't give up!

News Comments > Destiny 2 Day One Issues Outlined
45. Re: Re: Destiny 2 Day One Issues Outlined Oct 21, 2017, 00:33 Mordecai Walfish

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 20, 2017, 21:11:
Been trying to ignore Destiny 2 reviews etc, but after looking at the forums, I'm (-) close to pulling my pre-order.

I decided against putting money towards this title when I read about Activision's "inventive" new patent for matching noobs with vets to milk their playerbase further. Might yarrrr the single player portion, but they won't get a cent from me on any of their upcoming games.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Oct 21, 2017, 00:25 Mordecai Walfish

Excellent game. Like a more combat focused
action FTL with craftable mods and weapons with resource gathering and enemy looting. Full hotas support and plays great with gamepads and mouse and keyboard also.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 20, 2017, 07:48 Mordecai Walfish

Voting in that joke of an awards dealie gives you the option of like 6 "bookazines", including the retro gamer one, but also ones focused on Playstation, PC Gaming, a top 100, Minecraft, and Nintendo Switch. If you follow the email link repeatedly you can download as many as you want actually.  

News Comments > Civilization III Free on Humble Store
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 20, 2017, 07:08 Mordecai Walfish

Any workarounds for online multiplayer, like do hamachi or tunnngle work with this?

Never had a chance to really play this one but I love the Civ games I've played, so I added it to my steam library with this freebie offer.

Thanks for the heads-up on this!

EDIT: To do the resolution fix, add the line "keepRes=1" to the file conquests.ini in the Steamapps\Sid Meiers Civilization III\conquests\ folder.

Thanks for the heads up also, MAttyC. GameRanger is something I have not heard mentioned in a LONG time. lol. Forgot about that one. I used to play the best online/multiplayer version of monopoly (boxed one from early 2000's) via that with friends =)

This comment was edited on Oct 20, 2017, 08:03.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 19, 2017, 19:44 Mordecai Walfish

Cutter wrote on Oct 19, 2017, 18:01:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 19, 2017, 13:48:
Sugar and cancer: Belgium scientists clarify the Warburg effect.

Time to treat sugar like cigarettes.

I quit refined sugar ages ago. All I use is raw unpasteurized honey or raw cane sugar like Sucanat which actually has health benefits to using.

I get honey from a local beekeeper in the area who I grew up with, beeswax chunks and all. love it. Been using sugar in the raw for a long while, but honestly there arent many things I eat that I add sugar to anymore. Not even with coffee, which I drink black now. Never heard of "Sucanat" but it is one vowel away from "Sucanut" so I guess it couldn't be all that bad

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 18, 2017, 15:29 Mordecai Walfish

The photo on that site with her mugshot shows the school in the background: "Home of the Cougars"

LOL

News Comments > Activision Patents Driving Microtransactions Through Matchmaking
36. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 18, 2017, 15:11 Mordecai Walfish

Destiny 2 just dropped from my interest completely after hearing about this. There is no way I can in good conscience throw any amount of money towards fucksticks who are trying (or remotely planning to..) pull this kind of shit. They've been leading up to it for a long time with "inventive" new ways of monetizing their games, and I have steered clear of that bullshit for the most part up to this point but still bought their games if it was something I was interested in, Destiny 2 on PC being one that I was looking forward to. Not anymore. Fuck you, Activision.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 17, 2017, 19:57 Mordecai Walfish

The greatest tool in the Republican playbook for getting elected over the past many decades, is getting lower/middle income folks to vote against their own interests time and time again. The current method seems to be to make facts themselves meaningless and create an entirely separate media where they can stream propaganda to a good portion of the country 24/7. It is literally insane how Orwellian these fuckers have become..  

News Comments > Overwatch Boasts 35 Million Players
13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 17, 2017, 15:22 Mordecai Walfish

Alamar wrote on Oct 17, 2017, 10:41:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Oct 17, 2017, 00:54:
I'd bet there are less than 1 million active players at any given time. The game is just getting to be a bit stale.

1 million active players is a bit stale?

That seems like an odd argument, or are those two sentences supposed to be unrelated?

Not at all, just that a huge majority of people who bought the game have moved on. Less than 1 million active players across three platforms it was released on worldwide seems like a likely estimate to me. My friends list consisted of 100 players for overwatch alone at one point, and there are perhaps 4-8 max ever playing the game anymore, with the same few folks usually consisting of the low number. I just extrapolate the estimate from that, while taking into account that the game also has multiple regions and platforms.

News Comments > Overwatch Boasts 35 Million Players
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 17, 2017, 00:54 Mordecai Walfish

I'd bet there are less than 1 million active players at any given time. The game is just getting to be a bit stale.  

2000 Comments. 100 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo