Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 1326 (Pro)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 24, 2016, 19:37 Mordecai Walfish

Creston wrote on Mar 24, 2016, 18:18:
One week after I buy a PS4, Sony lets rumors shine through of a PS4.5.

Goddammit.

You're lucky then! Still within the return period for most places if it matters that much to you. Most owners do not have that option.

Currently playing: Final Fantasy Tactics: War of The Lions (PSP) , River City Ransom Underground (PC) , GTA:V (PC) , Owlboy (PC) , Everspace (PC)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Street Fighter V Cash Shop Delayed
2. Re: Street Fighter V Cash Shop Delayed Mar 24, 2016, 19:10 Mordecai Walfish

Good ol' Capcom. Released a half-finished game but when it comes to the in-game cash-store "wanted to be extra careful" and make sure it's ready before launch. Now letting all players have the new characters until the store is finished just so they can yank the new characters back at that time.

Given all the crap capcom has pulled with SFV, I wish I didn't want this game, but I do. Hahaha_no

Currently playing: Final Fantasy Tactics: War of The Lions (PSP) , River City Ransom Underground (PC) , GTA:V (PC) , Owlboy (PC) , Everspace (PC)

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 24, 2016, 13:40 Mordecai Walfish

It's a smart move by Sony.

Think about it this way.. there's no way they would fragment their playerbase with a better performing (for games) model of the PS4.. but adding the ability to play 4K Blu-Rays and stream 4k content to devices and include higher bandwidth ports and options for doing so, will create a higher-end SKU that their more financially endowed customers will buy up quickly, and that someone with a failing PS4 may consider going with instead of getting a base model instead.

I highly doubt this will mean gaming in higher resolutions or better framerates than the current model, as this would only piss off the existing userbase, so just catering to the 4K standard thats becoming more widely adopted for a format they essentially created (blu-ray) while adding more options for that content to be delivered seems to be a no-brainer.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 23, 2016, 14:31 Mordecai Walfish

jdreyer wrote on Mar 23, 2016, 13:09:
$800 for a 43 inch 4K IPS monitor? That's a good price, even if it is only 60 hz.

"799 Euros"

Bit of a difference there.

News Comments > Hyper Light Drifter This Month
3. Re: Hyper Light Drifter This Month Mar 22, 2016, 22:52 Mordecai Walfish

Looking forward to this!

Also looking forward to playing Salt and Sanctuary, and Below both coming out relatively soon as well.

News Comments > F2P ARK Multiplayer Spin-off
4. Re: F2P ARK Multiplayer Spin-off Mar 16, 2016, 01:35 Mordecai Walfish

link for the store page is broken here (has an extra www.), actual link is:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/407530

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $110M
56. Re: Star Citizen Passes $110M Mar 15, 2016, 18:43 Mordecai Walfish

Kxmode wrote on Mar 15, 2016, 18:18:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Mar 15, 2016, 17:58:
Star Citizen is using a modified Cry Engine and not Unity though.

I know. That was the comparison. Rockstar doesn't use off-the-shelf game engines to create their AAA titles. They create their own from scratch. They do that because they know the scope of game they wish to create. Chris has admitted in numerous interviews that he did not know the scope of Star Citizen and only increased its scope based on the money coming in. That's the difference between the Rockstars, CD Projekt Reds and Bethesdas of the world... and CIG.

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Mar 15, 2016, 17:58:
With the scale of what they're trying to do vs any other cry engine game, I bet a fair chunk of the budget is going towards engine modification, however.

Definitely. Even if CIG by some miracle was able to modify CryEngine to achieve all their goals they will NEVER recoup their costs because they are not going to make additional games with it, and I don't believe they would ever be able to license it because most of foundation is owned by CryTek. This is precisely why Rockstar, CD Projekt Red, iD, Bethesda and other development studios thrive. They spend a large sum developing their own engines for specific needs, and then reuse those engines many times over for future games. They also license the engine out to other studios or other studios within their family of companies.

Ugh, I still have a hard time believing that Bethesda is still using the creation engine to make their games.. Here's hoping they actually put their profits from TESV/FO4 to good use and make a fucking decent in-house engine finally. Creation needs to be put out to pasture. Rockstar has been doing it right for a loooooong time, and CDP Red is on point as well.

53. Re: Star Citizen Passes $110M Mar 15, 2016, 17:58 Mordecai Walfish

Kxmode wrote on Mar 15, 2016, 17:47:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Mar 15, 2016, 15:57:
To put the amount of money they have for the development for this game in perspective, GTA IV cost a little over 100 million to make back in 2007 (a record at the time for the most expensive game development cost), with a significantly older engine and lower fidelity than what is being aimed for in SC. Not to mention the difference in scope between the two titles.

To put things even more in perspective, Rockstar didn't use the Unity engine to create GTA4. They built their own engine from the beginning to handle their specific needs. The RAGE engine went on to power nearly a dozen games including GTA5. So Rockstar got their money back multiple times over for engine development costs.

Fair point. Much of the development cost for GTA IV was the very impressive engine. Star Citizen is using a modified Cry Engine and not Unity though. With the scale of what they're trying to do vs any other cry engine game, I bet a fair chunk of the budget is going towards engine modification, however.

51. Re: Star Citizen Passes $110M Mar 15, 2016, 15:57 Mordecai Walfish

To put the amount of money they have for the development for this game in perspective, GTA IV cost a little over 100 million to make back in 2007 (a record at the time for the most expensive game development cost), with a significantly older engine and lower fidelity than what is being aimed for in SC. Not to mention the difference in scope between the two titles.

I have serious doubts that they will even pull off 1/10 of what they are shooting for, but I only invested $35 on this dream during the initial kickstarter. Those who invested much much more obviously have a lot more to lose here than what I was willing to risk. The alpha is coming together okay, but with the fidelity of the areas I've seen in this game so far I don't think they will go very far before funding starts to become a serious hinderance to further development. Hoping Squadron 42 comes out of it, at least. I'll consider it $35 well spent if that's even half-way decent.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 17, 2016, 23:23 Mordecai Walfish

Fantaz wrote on Feb 17, 2016, 22:08:
what would you guys say about buying Nvidia stock? i am thinking about getting some shares

I've been thinking the same lately, and intel too. Theyre two powerhouses that aren't going away anytime soon and seem to consistently push the envelope for PC's

People also have been warning me about staying away from stocks lately because of another crash on the horizon, but I dont know how to take that advice.. on one hand people are still shaken up by the recent crash, but there is some validity to the concern about the at-times meteoric rise since then too.

News Comments > SEGA Freebies
10. Re: SEGA Freebies Feb 16, 2016, 22:49 Mordecai Walfish

save yourself the trouble with the sega stuff, its pretty awful. Poorly emulated Sega Genesis ports of arcade games on Steam. Just get mame and the actual roms and do it right. These are *really* bad.  

News Comments > Street Fighter V Released
9. Re: Street Fighter V Released Feb 16, 2016, 16:43 Mordecai Walfish

nin wrote on Feb 16, 2016, 15:53:
deqer wrote on Feb 16, 2016, 15:40:
Cyanotetyphas wrote on Feb 16, 2016, 15:32:
You guys are way out of touch, the community that plays these games is pretty excited for a big update.

There have been two content packs but SF4 was released in 2008.

2008? Really? I only recently saw SF4 on Steam like maybe 2 years ago (or maybe it was twitch). So, I think their marketing team failed.

But are people really asking for an update? And even so, asking for an update big enough to warrant a new game? I doubt it.

Typically, you become familiar with a game and get skilled at it, have tournaments, etc.

All of that is thrown out the window when a new game is released, with mechanics changes, and such. Who would want to start all over again like that?

I mean, you don't see us asking for a "big update" to real life Football, do you? Or Soccer, or hockey. No, because those sports have been finalized.

How about we finalize a game already, instead of playing their rushed-out betas (called gold releases) and then letting them patch stuff and releasing it as a new game.

Sure, the graphics improved, but we don't need that either. Sprites are just as illustrative as 3d polygons, if not more-so.

Multiplayer? C'mon. You can't play a game like SF seriously with a millisecond delay in your controls/actions.

It's like looking at a really bad ink blot test, and trying to make out the various pieces. You're borderline fredrickson, but lack the cohesiveness.

Aye. Clueless blathering. If he cared enough to type so much about it you'd think he'd read up on the subject and learn the answers to all of his ridiculous questions/statements.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Feb 15, 2016, 21:05 Mordecai Walfish

Just got updated to marshmallow on my HTC One today too. Pretty nice so far.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
12. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 15, 2016, 17:51 Mordecai Walfish

Relevant article I saw linked from here just the other day

"In case you are wondering what "smart" - as in "smart city" or "smart home" - means:

Surveillance
Marketed
As
Revolutionary
Technology"

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Into the Black Jul 16, 2015, 00:32 Mordecai Walfish

I think the money should be put towards publicly used spaces, like transportation and other infrastructure. We *all* pay the taxes that go towards funding these mega-buildings.. yet only sports fans will ever use or benefit from them. Silly.  

News Comments > Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds
40. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 15, 2015, 01:00 Mordecai Walfish

I was around the 3000th backer and I'm about to just dump my ship/package on ebay for sale.

Just dont think I'm going to have time to enjoy this by the time it's out, even if it's good and able to fulfill its promises. Got a 4 month old son now and every day I gradually spend less time gaming and more time with him.. and I really enjoy it just as much. Weird saying that from a guy who never planned on having kids in the first place.. but life is a crazy, crazy ride.

News Comments > R.I.P.: Nintendo's Satoru Iwata
25. Re: R.I.P.: Nintendo's Satoru Iwata Jul 14, 2015, 01:26 Mordecai Walfish

Nintendo was my first attraction to video games, back in a small shack that sold steamed crabs (blue crabs) and had a moderately sized arcade in the back. (The name is/was Crab Town USA) This was in 1987, when I was only 7 years on this planet. I reveled in my victory over mario brothers and many other Nintendo games over the years as being significant achievements in my life, a new level of mind and physical response achievement. I have yet to find something in gaming that has compelled me as much as the mysteries you have woven into your games, Nintendo, and I hope you progress far into the 21st century so my child can know this experience as well.

Thank You. I hope your travel into the ether will incite ripples that we have yet to experience, not just for my child's sake, but for everyone to experience. R.I.P.

This comment was edited on Jul 14, 2015, 01:38.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
4. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jul 12, 2015, 15:29 Mordecai Walfish

Cutter wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 15:22:
My understanding is Sanders is leading the pack and he's only getting stronger. He is exactly what the Dems - and America and everyone else - need very badly.

I also feel like he is the best candidate we have. This isn't the same "hopey changey" shit that Obama was spouting.. there is actual substance in his goals.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
2. Re: Bernie Sanders vs Cable costs Jul 12, 2015, 15:14 Mordecai Walfish

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 13:01:
Well it's about fucking time, but this is probably the death knell for Bernie's chances at the presidency.

It's a shame, he's probably the least corrupt politician running by a large margin.

Why do you think this is the "death knell" for his candidacy? Being anti-corporate has never been more popular and he doesn't rely on any of these industries for donations/campaign funding..

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm - False Positive Bans?
11. Re: Heroes of the Storm - False Positive Bans? Jul 10, 2015, 18:51 Mordecai Walfish

Blizzard turned me into a newt!  

1326 Comments. 67 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo