Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 1708 (Pro)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2017, 17:35 Mordecai Walfish

Vice News on HBO ran a piece on the ocean cleanup endeavour about a month ago, and it's getting recognition in quite a few other areas as well since then i've noticed.

The episode of Vice provided these links for people interested in it:

https://www.5gyres.org/
https://www.theoceancleanup.com/

"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > GeForce Prey Hotfix Drivers
8. Re: GeForce Prey Hotfix Drivers May 11, 2017, 15:15 Mordecai Walfish

Slashman wrote on May 11, 2017, 14:32:
I still don't want an AMD/ATI card.

Not sure why I'd pay to have to wait for fixes for practically every game ever.

"Man I sure saved a bunch and stuck it to those nVidia-tards!"

"Cool man! Let's go play some <insert new game here>"

"Yeah...I wanna but I gotta wait for a fix first...can we play something old...er?" Embarrassed

Do you really not see the irony of posting this commentary in a topic about a Nvidia driver fix for a brand new game they had some release driver issues with? AMD has a terrible track record with this stuff, but it is mainly in their history as you don't hear much about newer games having issues, and when they do they are resolved pretty quick it seems. NVidia are the ones who have been screwing things up on the software side for a while. Geforce Experience is a fucking mess still, and their drivers are up to almost a half-gig now. Shadowplay/share is still a broken mess. Their installers are starting to unravel because of typos and registry errors with older drivers, to the point that using something like DDU is necessary to even install newer versions of geforce experience and other elements of their "software package".

Both companies are shit in the software/driver category right now. Yeah, they work.. but there is a lot of BS involved with either of them anymore if you look at the whole picture.

"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2017, 13:23 Mordecai Walfish

Nullity wrote on May 10, 2017, 13:18:
Who still buys a gaming monitor with a max res of 1080p?

Who is getting 240+ fps at a resolution higher than 1080p? (not counting old-ass games)

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
16. Re: Morning Consolidation May 10, 2017, 12:19 Mordecai Walfish

**REMOVED** whoops, edit turned into new post  

12. Re: Morning Consolidation May 10, 2017, 11:16 Mordecai Walfish

Creston wrote on May 10, 2017, 10:20:
Console owners not interested in tech arms race? Whodathunkit?

Maybe because if you're going to be spending 500 bucks every two years for the latest greatest new console, you might as well be buying a PC and upgrading it?

They're not making this for a majority of current xbox or ps owners though. It's for people who have enough expendable income or the impulse to always own the latest and greatest. Those people will always buy these so it's not a bad idea to have released them, business wise. New purchasers of one of these consoles may be enticed to pay slightly more to get better quality as well, if the price isnt too much more than the standard console (and in both cases it isn't). The same thinking is behind things like the xbox elite controller, and other $150+ controllers out there. We didnt see things like that in previous console generations. You can pay extra for a "premium experience" compared to the standard plebs who get regular editions of consoles now.

This comment was edited on May 10, 2017, 12:20.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 9, 2017, 15:15 Mordecai Walfish

Update whether you have windows defender disabled or not. It's apparently kernel level stuff related to Windows defender, not just the program itself. Any version of windows with defender is at risk.  

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black May 8, 2017, 22:56 Mordecai Walfish

This looks awesome. It's great that Harrison Ford is still in such good health and willing to reprise select roles like this. Taking the Bill Murray route and keeping it classy in his older years.

I wish this same production team would have been behind the new Ghost In The Shell movie. Half the scenes in this trailer look like they could have been from Ghost In The Shell. Looks like they really nailed the visual design in this new Blade Runner.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse May 8, 2017, 22:46 Mordecai Walfish

*An internal cyber attack by the GOP to shut down the massive influx of dissenting views on their backwards ass policies, more likely.  

News Comments > OVERKILL's The Walking Delayed
2. Re: OVERKILL's The Walking Delayed May 6, 2017, 22:30 Mordecai Walfish

Kxmode wrote on May 6, 2017, 20:30:
Could they have picked a more ripoff title? Overwatch: The Walking Dead

Overkill is the name of the studio. Guessing they include that bit because of other Walking Dead games that have been made by different studios on various platforms.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 2, 2017, 20:54 Mordecai Walfish

It's the new "freedom". Freedom for corporations to do whatever the fuck they want because they bought this place.  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind Turns 15
22. Re: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind Turns 15 May 2, 2017, 19:01 Mordecai Walfish

Creston wrote on May 2, 2017, 15:14:
Just the persistence of the world was amazing. After I'd been playing for 30 or so hours, it really bugged me that my character had no place for himself. No house to store my loot, etc. So I came up with the idea, what if I kill some house owning schlub in town? Surely the game won't let me do that? The guards will come storming in and murder me, or the game will lock me out of the house, or the owner just gets magically respawned after a day or something, right?

Followed some dude into his house. Cut him down to shreds. Hid his body in a closet. Waited. No guards came. No respawn. Nothing. Satisfied, I took the key from him, and turned his house into my personal Daedric and Glass armor/weapon display museum.

I did this very same thing to an innocent farmer in Pelagiad when I started collecting too much loot. Eventually i had to upgrade my living quarters to a large wizard's tower on the east coast, where I had my grand library with a copy of every book in the game and a museum of all unique and exotic artifacts, weapons and armors that I had pillaged from throughout the land. I ran through the tower like John Cleese/Sir Lancelot, slaughtering all of the inhabitants mercilessly like the wedding scene in The Holy Grail. Those were gloriously&#8203; good times.

Oh and this was on an Xbox. I didn't have a computer powerful enough for the game at the time, but I did have an Xbox so it was an easy buy for that, and ran great on the system. Controls took a bit of getting used to but they were surprisingly good as well.

I remember downing dozens of bottles of skooma and running across the continent in seconds. The game just let you push the stats off the chart if you really wanted and the resulting effects were awesome.. most of the time.

News Comments > Morning Previews
2. Re: Morning Previews May 2, 2017, 15:09 Mordecai Walfish

Steazy wrote on May 2, 2017, 13:45:
RIP GameWatcher - QC *closed* beta is under NDA :X

Not even supposed to discuss the characters in public... definitely not post a review...

But it was Emma Millennial's first time playing a quake game! Surely that's an exception to the NDA! /s

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind Turns 15
14. Re: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind Turns 15 May 2, 2017, 15:03 Mordecai Walfish

Best elder scrolls made. Back when you could do "wild" things like levitate.

Anyone looking to mod it up for a replay, check this handy list out for the good stuff:

https://pastebin.com/7gF2VLaf

News Comments > X-Wing XWVM Mod Video
24. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 1, 2017, 22:43 Mordecai Walfish

Rigs wrote on May 1, 2017, 17:24:
SpectralMeat wrote on May 1, 2017, 16:28:
jdreyer wrote on May 1, 2017, 16:15:
I picked up a new Flightstick last year to replay this game before I heard about this mod. My old Flightstick was 20 years old and a few of the buttons had stopped working.
Those are very precise and bomb proof.
I just wish they'd have the twist option so that you don't have to buy a set of pedals.
I ended up with the Saitek X55 when I was playing a lot of Elite
I know Saitek is not the same quality as CH but it served me well so far.

I heartily recommend the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. I had wanted a nice HOTAS setup for my adventures in Elite:Dangerous and other flight/space sims and was looking at both the Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X and the Thrustmaster T.16000 FCS HOTAS (who thinks of these names?!). But, in the end, I figured spending around $40, given how much time I actually spend using it, was enough and thus, the Logi Extreme 3D Pro it was! Can't say I'm disappointed at all, it does exactly what I need it to and it's got that really nifty 'twist' so I don't have to worry about the whole rudder pedal thing. (I 'could' use my Logi G25 pedals if need be, though). I tried playing with just a PS3 Dualshock controller and a Logi Rumblepad2 but it's just not enough. I feel too...detached, when playing with a gamepad. With a stick, you feel like you're in more control. Eventually I plan to pick up a proper HOTAS setup, stick and throttle separate. Until then, though, what I have does fine. Would love to get into some old X-Wing/Tie Fighter action with it!

=-Rigs-=

I own both the Thrustmaster T.16000M and Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, and either would be sufficient for this game. They both have their advantages and disadvantages.

The T.16000M has hall-effect sensors so it is more accurate (I believe the 16000 comes from the 16000x16000 measurement grid that the sensors can sample from), but has some of the worst buttons on any flight stick I have ever used, especially on the base, and the throttle is worse than the logitech one as well, IMO. This one has more buttons than the 3D Pro, sporting 12 on the base compared to the 6 on the 3D Pro's base, but the 3D Pro has more buttons at the top of the stick and a thumb button on the side of the handle that is useful. The T.16000M is also ambidextrous, with removable parts of the handle to facilitate both lefties and righties.

The Extreme 3D Pro is less accurate and will probably break sooner than the Thrustmaster in some way or another, but has much higher quality buttons and feels a ton more comfortable to use. There are also more buttons on the stick itself, including a handy thumb button, but it has half as many buttons on the base as the Thrustmaster. The 3D Pro is not ambidextrous and is made for right-handed folks only. For an old game like xwing, accuracy doesn't matter nearly as much, so this would probably be the better pick for this game, of the two.

This comment was edited on May 1, 2017, 22:56.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2017, 16:33 Mordecai Walfish

Happy Anniversary!

Also, 4/20 was *definitely* a thing 21 years ago, and I can attest to this first-hand growing up on the east coast, we 'celebrated' both the am/pm and the calendar day. I remember my first time seeing a Thai stick was on a 4/20 in the early nineties, and being blown away that it was literally the size of an adult arm. It really depends on the group you got down with, but many of us 'celebrated' it back then.

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 27, 2017, 16:19 Mordecai Walfish

Glad to hear about Nintendo's success. They really needed it after the huge WiiU flop.  

News Comments > The Culling Free Weekend
5. Re: The Culling Free Weekend Apr 27, 2017, 16:08 Mordecai Walfish

A buddy of mine gifted this to me last year, played it once and didn't think much of it. The mechanics just felt way off and unintuitive. Maybe things have changed a bit since then, I'll give it another go this weekend with the f2p noobs.  

News Comments > GTA Online Tiny Racers Update & Tax Refund
7. Re: GTA Online Tiny Racers Update & Tax Refund Apr 27, 2017, 06:01 Mordecai Walfish

Quinn wrote on Apr 26, 2017, 22:33:
The phenomenon called R* is what always has me wondering why there's no real hating toward these fuckers.

I'm sure the internet is primed and ready to go on this hateventure with you. They just needed a proper leader to raise the hate banner, and arm the hate cannons, so we can show these evil bastards what for!

Seriously though, the only division of rockstar that I have any issues with is Toronto, for the abomination that is GTA IV on PC. Yeah maybe there's something to be said for some dislike towards the San Diego team for not releasing the RDR series on PC yet, but I don't know that was entirely their decision either.

Something about this black and white shit we all seem to be so deeply entrenched in is really tiring to me. It's like there's no middle ground anymore.. you either love something or hate it. It's like hearing people use words like "epic" to describe every somewhat interesting or cool situation they witness. Vernacular hyperbole. Instead of a laugh, now "I'm dying". Instead of saying you were disappointed in something you did or articulating any sort of feeling, now we have "I'm literally going to kms (kill myself)". What is language going to be like in a couple decades, once we've desensitized ourselves significantly by using the most extreme language possible to describe everything around us? Why am I ranting about this? I don't fuckin' know. Time for sleep.

News Comments > GTA Online Tiny Racers Update & Tax Refund
1. Re: GTA Online Tiny Racers Update & Tax Refund Apr 25, 2017, 22:27 Mordecai Walfish

I'm usually a fan of all varieties of racing, but there is absolutely nothing redeemable about this game mode. Worst one yet.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 21, 2017, 23:57 Mordecai Walfish

Dacote wrote on Apr 21, 2017, 19:24:
Windows 10, still free.

Never stopped being free as I'm pretty sure the accessibility promotion is still going on. Do you use magnifier or onscreen keyboard? Congrats, go get yourself an upgrade to Winblows10!

1708 Comments. 86 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo