Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 1234 (Pro)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Tale of Tales Closing
5. Re: Tale of Tales Closing Jun 21, 2015, 16:20 Mordecai Walfish

Hopefully they find a medium that fits their artistic and narrative pursuits, but gaming was obviously not it.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc., etc.
7. Re: etc., etc. Jun 20, 2015, 18:09 Mordecai Walfish

I read from the article that 18% of *Steam* gamers are women, not PC gamers in general. My mother and grandmother both game on PC's for example. Mom has a Steam account and plays games on there, but hardly ever. Both her and my grandma play many more games on PC that are not on steam, like Pogo games and such. I actually caught my mom using a bot on one of her pogo games when I was over for the holidays and just shook my head and asked "why?". Many other gaming sites and platforms have a much greater hold on the female gaming population than Steam does. My mom also is all about nostalgia in gaming and plays old adventure games and even the original Quake from time to time still.

I would guess the gaming mix on PC's is much closer to 40% women / 60% male. I think this number is dropping though, as touchscreen devices and tablets have made a major home for the types of games that the women in my family play most. From hidden object games my grandmother likes and other pogo type stuff, to the cutesy multiplayer rpg's my mom plays often on her ipad. Since they've had their ipads, I would guess that they game on them over 50% of the time that they used to spend on PC's for gaming in the past. This is pretty huge considering theyve only had the ipads for ~3 years and both are pretty heavy gamers/PC users.

News Comments > Dirty Bomb Trailer
14. Re: Dirty Bomb Trailer Jun 20, 2015, 17:30 Mordecai Walfish

descender wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 10:28:
laggy and imprecise like TF2
not suitable for fast-paced gameplay

You must play games on some other planet. Source has the most consistent and solid netcode in the business.

I really don't understand that comment at all lol... Frostbite has the most horrible netcode (shoot 3 feet behind your enemy to continue) in existence and I don't know what other "fast paced" multiplayer FPS engine you could be referring to. UE3 didn't even attempt lag compensation.

On topic: Dirty bomb looks to be about as generic as it could be. Both games are pretty blatant TF2 rip-offs, and neither of them are going to be very successful.

Dirty bomb is not even close to a TF2 rip-off. Some chars are faster, some chars are slower, some chars heal/revive, there are team based objectives.. that's about as close to TF2 as it goes. The netcode does feel extremely good. Better than source I have to agree.

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Jun 20, 2015, 16:07 Mordecai Walfish

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 14:28:
I think I tried to get in once and the server wouldn't let me play so I quit and forgot about it.

I didn't even buy anything on sale. I just have to much stuff to finish already.

+1

So many of awesome games on the backburner that I don't feel the desire to play Steam's limited-time marketing games at all, let alone run scripts to game the system for them.

News Comments > AMD HBM-based 300 Series Announced
54. Re: AMD HBM-based 300 Series Announced Jun 20, 2015, 15:38 Mordecai Walfish

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 17, 2015, 14:59:
Drayth wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 23:53:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 20:45:
Those cards with 8GB on board - I wonder if they would help Skyrim cope with using a lot of texture mods at normal playable resolutions (not 4k).

Unfortunately Skyrim has a 4gig software limit. The game just doesn't make use of anything above that limit no matter what your card has.

Oh. I thought one of the patches undid that.

I believe the patch you're referring to was to allow the executable to take advantage of 64 bit addressing space and greater than 4gb of (non-gpu) system ram. Hadn't heard about the GPU ram limitations in that engine before.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 19, 2015, 20:10 Mordecai Walfish

Seriously the first major sign that Kinect was going to die a slow and painful death was that they released a version for windows. We should all know by now that MS drops support for every piece of windows hardware they release within a couple years time.. especially gaming related stuff.  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Expansion Pricing Backlash
1. Re: Guild Wars 2 Expansion Pricing Backlash Jun 19, 2015, 12:58 Mordecai Walfish

LOL Blue are you intentionally mislabeling the expansion? This is the 2nd time I've seen you post it with that name..  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
25. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 19, 2015, 06:11 Mordecai Walfish

Verno wrote on Jun 18, 2015, 11:06:
Fallout 3 had great exploration, if you're content making up your own goals and finding cool stuff in the world then its a great game for that. A little settlement with a hysterical despot that has amusing resolutions. A random library has a unique gun laying around on a corpse with some history attached. An alien landing site. Just cool, random stuff that makes the world fun to explore and the RP a bit more interesting. If you're more story driven and want direction New Vegas is a better game for that, though you can also go off the beaten path there too.

What you described in fallout3 is one of the things I've always loved about elder scrolls games, Morrowind in particular. The freedom to explore has never been better than in that title, IMO... particularly with levitation spells and such in the game that felt so rewarding when used to get out of a sticky situation or into some very good loot. I love the risk/reward of going to places that you're not ready for and preparing for the challenge and being able to use cunning and resourcefulness to still come out on top. I think modern RPG's that level the world up with you are a tremendous step in the wrong direction.

News Comments > Dirty Bomb Trailer
6. Re: Dirty Bomb Trailer Jun 19, 2015, 05:31 Mordecai Walfish

Been playing a bit of this too lately and it is a decent team based objective shooter, but there is literally nothing that stands out and makes it special in any way, IMO. The f2p system seems legit with the amount you get from battles/objectives/1st match/1st win being decent enough to buy a new character from the roster every couple weeks if you play somewhat regularly. So far I like proxy, with the stub shottie and mines with a machine pistol as a side arm.. and that mobility is ridiculous. Tiny hitbox and lightning quick.  

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Jun 18, 2015, 10:32 Mordecai Walfish

AMD's conference was painful to watch. I hadn't seen one of their presentations before so I don't know if that's the norm for them, but it was pretty terrible. I don't trust that their new generation cards are anything special, and if anything, I worry about their heat generation with them feeling the need to ship the highest end offering with a liquid cooling solution. Ouch.  

News Comments > Just Cause 3 in December
21. Re: Just Cause 3 in December Jun 17, 2015, 08:34 Mordecai Walfish

Moog wrote on Jun 17, 2015, 04:27:
Amazing that after the community added MP to JC2, they've gone and developed JC3 as SP only!

Sorry but no MP/co-op, no sale!

I think it would have left more of a lasting impression on the devs if anyone actually played JC2:MP after it was released. The beta was fun doing destruction derbys with like 500 people on a server testing the limits of this stuff, but when it was actually released, there were a shit ton of servers and like 50-100 people most on any of them, which in as big a world as JC2's makes for some pretty hollow gameplay. Yeah, you could teleport to a new locale with people, but it just got really old, really fast.

News Comments > Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Instantly Funded
42. Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Instantly Funded Jun 17, 2015, 01:36 Mordecai Walfish

Lol this thread  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 16, 2015, 13:58 Mordecai Walfish

Pigeon wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 10:19:
Hopefully theyíll add some extra bosses, dungeons and secrets. Iíve played 7 a few times so even with wonderful new visuals the appeal isnít as good as it could be. A hard-mode would be great, as the game is a breeze for veteran players.
Of course all that takes a back seat to my usual complaint of, WHY NO FF6(j) REMAKE?!?!!? My favorite of the series and it has gotten little attention except some crappy mobile port. Hell even FF3(j) got a remake.

FF VII: Hard Type

Play this version of you are a veteran looking for a challenge =) I'm playing through it on my psp currently and it's very challenging, even for a veteran player of FF7! Alot of bugs and loopholes that allow you to cheese your way through certain battles are patched, and its got a much more difficult balancing of enemies throughout.

And I totally agree about FF6, that is the most deserving of a remake, IMO. It would take a ton of work but be so amazing if they got it right.

News Comments > Unravel Announced
6. Re: Unravel Announced Jun 16, 2015, 04:45 Mordecai Walfish

Very reminiscent of Braid/Limbo. More please!  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 16, 2015, 04:18 Mordecai Walfish

Fantaz wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 00:09:
now Sony should make PS4 backwards compat. with PS3 titles. (HURRY UP!)

With how unique the architecture on the PS3 was compared to the pretty standard x86 hardware in the 360, I don't see the PS4 getting emulation of PS3-era games ever.

Also, did anyone see that Early Access is coming to XbOne? DayZ is one of the titles mentioned along with Elite: Dangerous. LOL

News Comments > Out of the Blue
29. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 10, 2015, 19:09 Mordecai Walfish

DangerDog wrote on Jun 10, 2015, 18:31:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jun 10, 2015, 17:17:
New update for GTA V/Online today

Lots of good changes and bug fixes in there!

and yet no f**ks given for PC users wanting the FOV to be increased.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one if I were you..

News Comments > Out of the Blue
25. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 10, 2015, 17:17 Mordecai Walfish

New update for GTA V/Online today

Lots of good changes and bug fixes in there!

News Comments > NVIDIA Launches GTX 980ti; New Drivers; & GSYNC Features
38. Re: NVIDIA Launches GTX 980ti; New Drivers; & GSYNC Features Jun 1, 2015, 15:46 Mordecai Walfish

NewMaxx wrote on Jun 1, 2015, 15:25:
It's worth noting that if people intend to get two cards (Crossfire/SLI) to get strong 4K gaming, they can get twice the memory with Mantle/DX12 as it doesn't have to be mirrored. So 2xFury would have 8GB available if games are coded for it. IIRC, one of the first games to support this will be the next Deus Ex.

I did not realize this fact about running dual cards in the new graphics APIs! Any source or further information about this working with older cards or is this only for newer "dx12/mantle certified" cards?

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
8. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 30, 2015, 20:39 Mordecai Walfish

rocketpcguy wrote on May 29, 2015, 10:54:
nin wrote on May 28, 2015, 23:36:
NegaDeath wrote on May 28, 2015, 23:34:
Bah, just use a PS4 controller over standard Bluetooth and install Inputmapper to tricks games into thinking it's a 360 controller. Even doubles as a mouse pad for emergencies.

Yeah, I've been pretty happy with that.

wow, interesting. does force feedback/vibration work with a PS4 controller on windows?

It absolutely does! I got a PS4 controller a couple weeks ago for GTA V and didnt even have to install drivers to get it working, GTA V apparently plays nice with directinput controllers as well as xInput (xbox 360/one) controllers.

I havent installed software to emulate xInput yet (InputMapper, DS4Windows), and you'll need that software to have the rumble feature working correctly.. but I do know that it works. (Works great on my PS3 controllers too!)

I have been leaning towards using DS4windows instead of InputMapper because InputMapper seems to be branching out into a plugin-based platform for multiple different devices, not just PS4 controllers. I figured I would get DS4Windows to try first because it is solely focused on the DS4 with no extra bloat that I likely wont be using any time soon.

Either way, PS4 controllers are excellent for PCs. Better than the PS3 and x360 controllers (or any other gamepad I've tried on PC) by far.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization May 29, 2015, 16:16 Mordecai Walfish

I thought the whole google cardboard thing was an april fool's joke. VR for teh masses! hah  

1234 Comments. 62 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo