Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 2092 (Senior)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > RAGE 2 Announcement Monday?
28. Re: RAGE 2 Announcement Monday? May 12, 2018, 00:02 Mordecai Walfish

MattyC wrote on May 11, 2018, 16:40:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on May 11, 2018, 15:24:
SirKnight wrote on May 11, 2018, 14:03:
Creston wrote on May 11, 2018, 13:36:
Will it still use the same shitty pop-in / ultra-low fidelity textures tech that was supposed to revolutionize gaming?

You do realize that Doom (2016) used the same tech but improved right? So why would Rage 2 (which of course will use the same id Tech 6 as Doom) go back to the original implementation of Megatextures?

Also, the high end for graphics memory in gpus when rage came out was like 512mb. Now we're pushing 6gb+ vram in gpus.

Unless I am remembering wrong, I had my 460 GTX back then and it had a gig and was decidedly a mid-range card. Though I don't think it would have mattered either way for Rage.

Ignoring the tech, it wasn't all bad. Just a sort of OK shooter.

EDIT: After seeing Acleacius mention the mid-2000s I had to look it up. I am indeed not crazy. It was released in late 2010.

I remembered it being like 2008/2009. Never finished it though, oretty unmemorable game with fun moments every once in a while. I didnt have pop-in issues at launch

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > RAGE 2 Announcement Monday?
21. Re: RAGE 2 Announcement Monday? May 11, 2018, 15:24 Mordecai Walfish

SirKnight wrote on May 11, 2018, 14:03:
Creston wrote on May 11, 2018, 13:36:
Will it still use the same shitty pop-in / ultra-low fidelity textures tech that was supposed to revolutionize gaming?

You do realize that Doom (2016) used the same tech but improved right? So why would Rage 2 (which of course will use the same id Tech 6 as Doom) go back to the original implementation of Megatextures?

Also, the high end for graphics memory in gpus when rage came out was like 512mb. Now we're pushing 6gb+ vram in gpus.

News Comments > Rising Storm 2: Vietnam ARVN Update Plans
4. Re: Rising Storm 2: Vietnam ARVN Update Plans May 11, 2018, 15:04 Mordecai Walfish

New from NRA tv, comes the ARVN, the "Assault Rifle Video Network" streaming live to buttholes world-wide via the power of our new G.O.A.T.S.E. broadcasting technology! Get gaped today!  

News Comments > Steam Bringing Games and Streaming to Mobile
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2018, 00:01 Mordecai Walfish

Cyanotetyphas wrote on May 9, 2018, 23:36:
Some version of Fortnight works on phones right? You just need to have virtual buttons (not preferable to a controller usually but hey).

For my part, I think its funny that the PC is endrunning the overrippened mobile market. The gold rushers had almost a decade to make compelling new genres and control schemes but they settled on gatcha lootbox bullshit, click the food pellet stuff. Most of the well made games still feel like the Flash games of Newsgrounds days, always slightly janky. Only a few seemed to fit well (Monument Valley, the Sorcery's). Seems like there's nothing new coming, why not just run FTL on your phone?

Polytopia is also an awesome game, that does mobile right IMO. They are few and far between though.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
13. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 7, 2018, 14:19 Mordecai Walfish

Sepharo wrote on May 7, 2018, 12:36:
Ozmodan wrote on May 7, 2018, 09:18:
funny how many of the pubg players eventually migrate to fortnite.

Seems like all the major streamers, except for ninja of course, have actually taken the opposite trajectory. They've returned to PUBG because encountering a skilled player in Fortnite is few and far between, it's boring for them. Personally I just couldn't get into the spam building which is basically required if you want to play at a high level.

The spam building is what kills it for me. It's just not an engaging gameplay mechanic IMO, and I do not see any draw in becoming good at it to excel in this game. All battle royale games seem like half-made games up to this point, or are thrown into a game that wasnt originally designed for them as a me-too piggybacking on the current trend.

Still waiting for a developer that knows how to make/finish a decent game in this genre, as I have not seen one yet.

News Comments > Quake Champions Adding Bots and More Gore
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 7, 2018, 13:53 Mordecai Walfish

RedEye9 wrote on May 6, 2018, 16:54:
Sepharo wrote on May 6, 2018, 16:37:
Armengar wrote on May 6, 2018, 14:29:
im sure you won't have any doubt who the bots are. they wont have the attitude of a 12 year old with a potty mouth.

Nobody talks in this game.
https://youtu.be/Kwsi5z-A2Mc

LOL forgot about how chatty those bots in Q3A were. I remember playing against them in Team Arena a lot, as nobody really played that much.

News Comments > Activision Devoting "Significant Resources" to PC Black Ops 4
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 5, 2018, 15:14 Mordecai Walfish

This seems like the kind of corporate speak that leads to browser-based matchmaking and other such nonsense. As per usual with Activision, I'll believe it when I see it.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse May 4, 2018, 16:03 Mordecai Walfish

jdreyer wrote on May 4, 2018, 15:37:
Bard wrote on May 4, 2018, 15:18:
I have had SO MANY client machines have their edge browser hijacked it got to the point where we removed the shortcut to edge from the taskbar and replaced it with internet explorer.
You went back to IE 11? What was hijacking it? At work we're still on Win 7 / IE 11, but will soon be upgrading to Win 10 / Edge.

Most businesses/it avoid edge use on win10 machines and use ie11 or a different broswer. It's highly unlikely they'll roll edge out to everyone given it's nascent state

News Comments > GeForce 1060 Hotfix
7. Re: GeForce 1060 Hotfix May 4, 2018, 15:55 Mordecai Walfish

Nvidia just cancelled the GPP program too, after all the backlash  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 3, 2018, 13:39 Mordecai Walfish

RedEye9 wrote on May 3, 2018, 10:24:
happy happy joy joy

The lyrics to that song actually fit the flat earth folks quite well:

If'n you ain't the granddaddy of all liars. The little critters of nature
they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny! A fly marrying a
bumblebee? I told you I'd shoot! But you didn't believe me. Why didn't
you believe me?

News Comments > TSA Frisky This Month
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 3, 2018, 13:07 Mordecai Walfish

Hat2 Singing Guitarist
ITS FRISKY TO WALK AROUND, TO WALK AROUND THE TSA,

THEY'RE FRISKY! THEY'RE FRISKY (FRISKY) FRISKY (FRISKY)
Hat2 Singing Guitarist

News Comments > Destiny 2 Activision's Largest PC Launch
20. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 2, 2018, 21:33 Mordecai Walfish

I almost bought this game, really wanted it to be good as the first Bungie PC release along with consoles.. but then that whole patent for pitting noobs against vet players got revealed and i remembered that i have better choices in which publishers to give money to. Activision are a bunch of shameless fucks, and its pretty sad that Bungie and Blizzard are part of that now.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 2, 2018, 15:29 Mordecai Walfish

Instead of being a benefit to testing, what our investigation found is that when HPET is forced as the sole system timer, it can sometimes a hindrance to system performance, particularly gaming performance.

its 2018 and Anandtech is just learning this? Holy shit.

EDIT: after reading the entire article, I'm actually glad they exposed more information and benchmarks for timer performance on both amd and intel systems. It really reinforces the benchmarking I did when I had tested this all 5-10 years ago also, and gives me something to easily link to the next time someone tries to tell me about the "secret performance hack of turning HPET on in windows" that is regurgitated around the net so often. So out of their "mistake" on the benchmarks, some good things have come from this.

The differences on intel systems when you force HPET are crazy!

This comment was edited on May 2, 2018, 15:49.

News Comments > Get The Witcher Free
27. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 1, 2018, 01:06 Mordecai Walfish

They let you gift the copy of the Witcher if you already own it. Sent it to a buddy who hasn't played it before, but is pretty heavy into Neverwinter Nights. The Witcher uses a heavily modified version of the Neverwinter Nights engine IIRC, so I'm sure he'll feel right at home.  

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 30, 2018, 21:19 Mordecai Walfish

When I was looking up further footage from that Monaco GP 62' video that was posted yesterday, I came across this gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2TNZyCWA-Q

It's an hour long movie completely made on an MSX computer, quite surreal. Dialog is in english.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 30, 2018, 20:52 Mordecai Walfish

That Atari console looks like Ouya 2.0. The only thing it seems to have going for it compared to Ouya are more media-center features, which are commonly integrated into HDTV sets, so it makes little sense for most people to buy one of these. Are they targeting the "doesn't have a newer TV" market?  

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 30, 2018, 17:37 Mordecai Walfish

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 30, 2018, 16:29:
Probably not the only museum with that problem. The art world is a scam fest.

Just last year a painting sold at auction which was claimed to have been done by Leonardo da Vinci and sold for $450 million. The story which received much less fanfare were the experts who were saying it wasn't a da Vinci. Then again, I'm not sure how much credit I would care to give any expert in this field. So, whatever.

With technological advances over the past 40 years, it has become very hard to spot many modern fakes, especially when the people making them know what the spotters are looking out for.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 29, 2018, 17:50 Mordecai Walfish

jdreyer wrote on Apr 29, 2018, 17:27:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Apr 29, 2018, 16:04:
That Monaco GP footage from 62 is fantastic. It's from a german Blu-ray I picked up almost immediately after watching that.

Yeah, that was really cool. In addition to that BRD, I'd like to suggest a couple of other legacy racing media titles:

Grand Prix Legends, created by Papyrus. You can race the wingless cigar cars shown in the video (although 1967 season, not 1962) including Monaco, the course in the video. It appears that mods have made the game better looking than the original, although it's still a 20 year old game. I haven't played this in 15 years at least, but I remember it hard as well as fun.

The movie Rush with Chris Hemsworth. 1970s Formula 1 racing story of British racer James Hunt's rivalry with German Nikki Lauder. Great story, great acting, great racing. (I know I've mentioned it here before)

I've been racing these exact cars on this track in Forza 7 on online lobbies lately. They also have the wingless cigar dealies, amongst the hundreds of other cars/classes.

Even though those mods make it look 10X better than it originally did, I doubt I'd really get into the Grand Prix Legends game, with forza 7 running on pc as well as it does, and having multiplayer and such. I've seen Rush before though, excellent movie.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 29, 2018, 16:04 Mordecai Walfish

That Monaco GP footage from 62 is fantastic. It's from a german Blu-ray I picked up almost immediately after watching that.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 28, 2018, 19:20 Mordecai Walfish

Cutter wrote on Apr 28, 2018, 17:52:
fawker wrote on Apr 28, 2018, 14:42:
This reminds me of the people that ruined the red lobster all you can eat crab legs and sunk a ceo.

How many crab legs can you eat though? And are we talking King or Dungeness? Fried crab sandwich maybe? One of my brothers went to U of O on a track scholarship. During crab season a couple of them would go the beach, plunk down some lawn chairs, a cooler full of beer, and get a big pot on the boil. Then they'd wait for the tide to go out and the crab to reveal themselves then go grab a few and have themselves a crab boil right there on the beach. Pretty sweet, not so much for the crabs though. I've done the same thing out in Newfoundland except with lobster. Good times.

Blue crab is my favorite meat on earth. I miss the east coast crab shacks. The first arcade I ever went to was in the back of one & my first time playing super mario bros (and rastan i think, too) was there.

2092 Comments. 105 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo