Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 1553 (Pro)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
1. Re: Sunday Consolidation Apr 3, 2017, 02:05 Mordecai Walfish

Pretty weaksauce for "premium" offerings. I am more than happy with the standard DS4 wired along with some silicon grips to make the handles a tad larger. Best controller I've used on PC, and I've tried almost all of em.  

†††††††††
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
9. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 31, 2017, 21:29 Mordecai Walfish

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 31, 2017, 13:50:
May have to start recommending Bit-Defender for my clients who want free, after I play with it on my laptop.
Like that it has top shelf protection w/out advertisements.

http://chart.av-comparatives.org/awards.php?year=2016
av test.org

Bitdefender Free was quite lacking in some areas when I last tried . Whitelist support and other things just were not available or were unnecessarily hard to access if they were. Good scanning engine though.

Best free is still Avira, IMO. Use BGPkiller alongside it to remove every single ad in the program. It's a super light weight process that just monitors the Avira process and prevents it from presenting ads of any kind to you. Been using it for years with no problems at all.

http://bgpkiller.weebly.com

†††††††††

News Comments > For Honor Update Increases Rewards
4. Re: etc. Mar 31, 2017, 21:24 Mordecai Walfish

deqer wrote on Mar 31, 2017, 12:45:
The fact that it came to a point where players had to boycott is reason enough to boycott it anyways. There should be no turning back. Companies deserve harsh punishment for their bad Pay2Win strategies.

I thought all the items people were complaining about being too expensive were cosmetic items. How was this pay2win?

†††††††††

News Comments > Quake Champions Closed Beta Next Week
6. Re: Quake Champions Closed Beta Next Week Mar 31, 2017, 01:18 Mordecai Walfish

Suppa7 wrote on Mar 31, 2017, 00:26:
I have no idea why the felt they needed to emulate the random quake models, my god, quake 3 model art aesthetic was basically random stuff the gamedev team thought was cool. There really wasn't any consistent aesthetic.

They're making a sequel, not a new IP. As disparate as the different parts of quake's past have been, that is what has come to define the series. As long as the gameplay is good, they cay do whatever the fuck they want with the models, etc. Quake was always about gameplay and engine first.

†††††††††

News Comments > Thimbleweed Park Released
1. Re: Thimbleweed Park Released Mar 31, 2017, 00:52 Mordecai Walfish

This has a strong Maniac Mansion vibe, but in a mostly outdoor setting. No doubt a fun story to play through with the pedigree of the parties involved. Definitely gonna pick this one up.. surprised I hadn't heard anything about it until now that it's released though.  

†††††††††

News Comments > Videogame Hall of Fame Finalists
23. Re: Videogame Hall of Fame Finalists Mar 29, 2017, 17:55 Mordecai Walfish

Rigs wrote on Mar 29, 2017, 17:23:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Mar 29, 2017, 17:19:
You can't honestly tell me that Street Fighter 2 didn't have much of an influence on gaming.. it's literally the cornerstone of every fighting game that came after it.

Yes, but Mortal Kombat trumps it in the 'social and cultural' department. Ask someone with little to no gaming experience to name a fighting game and it's going to be Mortal Kombat at least 7 out of 10 times*. Like I said earlier, think bigger. Am I on everyone's 'Ignore' list? Inquisitive

=-Rigs-=

* Statistics pulled straight out of my ass...ie my opinion

In the realm of "thinking bigger", I believe that SF2 is still the correct pick before MK or any other fighting game. MK wasnt the worldwide success that SF2 was. And I honestly believe that if you were asked to name a fighting game randomly that Street Fighter 2 would be more common than MK. In the "social and cultural" department, it trumps MK as well. Just a couple weeks ago a female UFC fighter did Sagat's famous winning taunt from SF2 at her pre-fight meetup, along with wearing his eyepatch. SF2 is much bigger than MK ever was. MK had the shock/gore recognition when it came out, and had the better movie.. but that's about it.

Video of the UFC fighter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhrV8AZQp_g

†††††††††

News Comments > Videogame Hall of Fame Finalists
20. Re: Videogame Hall of Fame Finalists Mar 29, 2017, 17:19 Mordecai Walfish

Creston wrote on Mar 29, 2017, 10:52:
If I had a ballot, I'd put Donkey Kong, FF7, Solitaire and Myst in there.

Donkey Kong was probably one of the most iconic arcade cabinets of all time.

FF7 was groundbreaking at the time it came out, with the way it used polygons and 3d scenery, and it ushered in a new age of games.

Solitaire has been played by roughly 7 billion people.

And Myst, for whatever reason, was an iconic game that shifted umpteen million PCs.

The rest were good games (in many cases better than the four previously listed), but really didn't have that much of an influence or were just iterations on stuff that came before.

I could be persuaded for a case for Wii sports.

You can't honestly tell me that Street Fighter 2 didn't have much of an influence on gaming.. it's literally the cornerstone of every fighting game that came after it.

†††††††††

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIV Free Trial Time Limit Removed
8. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Free Trial Time Limit Removed Mar 28, 2017, 20:58 Mordecai Walfish

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 28, 2017, 17:25:
Starts great, becomes a hugely annoying boring as fuck grind later

It is very pretty to look at for a time...

Guess a trial of the first 35 levels is a good thing then, as I dont see myself subbing to an MMO, but want to experience a bit of what they made here at least. Square does craft some really beautiful environments.

†††††††††

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIV Free Trial Time Limit Removed
2. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Free Trial Time Limit Removed Mar 28, 2017, 10:38 Mordecai Walfish

Awesome. Always wanted to try FF XIV. MMO drudgery seems slightly more palatable with Square's art and music involved in the mix.  

†††††††††

News Comments > PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Earns $11M
8. Re: PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Earns $11M Mar 27, 2017, 21:54 Mordecai Walfish

Fingers M wrote on Mar 27, 2017, 21:14:
SM0k3 wrote on Mar 27, 2017, 19:21:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Mar 27, 2017, 19:14:
"visuals that show off Unreal Engine 4ís capabilities"

..which everyone will promptly set to "potato" quality even on the highest-end rigs.

yea no shit, i barely get 60fps with high setting. don't know if the game is poorly optimized or ue4 engine just sucks ass for open world play

Its supposedly the top thing on their to-do list, hopefully the good sales will inspire them.

Definitely didn't inspire ARK to do shit about performance issues. Even if it performed well, people always set these to lowest settings because theyre solely competitive by nature, where every last fps and visibility tweak can give you an edge. usually this means lowest quality settings, like people did with quake in the competitive scene.

†††††††††

News Comments > PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Earns $11M
5. Re: PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Earns $11M Mar 27, 2017, 19:14 Mordecai Walfish

"visuals that show off Unreal Engine 4ís capabilities"

..which everyone will promptly set to "potato" quality even on the highest-end rigs.

†††††††††

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Mar 27, 2017, 18:18 Mordecai Walfish

The first "open world" game I can recall playing was Auto Racing for the Intellivision. I remember finding out you could drive anywhere on the map instead of sticking to the track, and eventually you discover that all the race tracks in the game are comprised of one huge (for the time) open-world map. I don't think I ever raced the actual tracks more than once, driving around the 8-bit countryside unrestricted by invisible walls was pretty damn cool at the time.  

†††††††††

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 27, 2017, 17:47 Mordecai Walfish

on the PAPRIUM website, if you click a small link as the end of the small print on the bottom of the page, it will prompt you to enter a contest to win a PAPRIUM skinned sega genesis along with the game.

just a heads up for blues visitors =)

†††††††††

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
10. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 21, 2017, 14:02 Mordecai Walfish

That fake news article link flagger isn't going to do shit about all the wackjobs who rant and copy/paste this garbage to their audience on Facebook. Just a token gesture on their part towards combatting the ignorant zombie hoarde they've been breeding for over a decade now.  

†††††††††

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 20, 2017, 20:10 Mordecai Walfish

jdreyer wrote on Mar 18, 2017, 04:49:
mag wrote on Mar 18, 2017, 01:43:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Mar 17, 2017, 19:30:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 17, 2017, 13:55:
PlayStation 3 Production Ending Soon In Japan.

Didn't realize they were still making these. I guess it makes sense, since some people probably have extensive libraries they'd like to keep playing.

How soon before we see a PS3 emulator on PC?

PS3 emulator for PC: https://rpcs3.net/

Still a long way to go but they are making regular progress.

Well damn, they even have Demon's Souls sorta working. That's pretty amazing. I would've guessed at least a decade, too.

The PS 3 is 10 years old after all...

The cell architecture used in the PS3 was difficult for even developers to work with, let alone reverse engineering the entire thing for emulation. PS3 is likely the hardest console to emulate ever made.

†††††††††

News Comments > etc.
18. Re: etc. Mar 19, 2017, 19:55 Mordecai Walfish

Slick wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 16:56:
Bethesda gets a pass for re-using the same engine for 15+ years, with the same garbage animations

I remember very well the animations from Morrowind, and the ones in Skyrim and FO4 are not even close to as bad as they used to be in that engine.
Go back and play Morrowind for a while to get an idea of how much they have improved actually. Not to say they're great by today's standards for AAA, but they have definitely gotten better.

†††††††††

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 17, 2017, 19:30 Mordecai Walfish

jdreyer wrote on Mar 17, 2017, 13:55:
PlayStation 3 Production Ending Soon In Japan.

Didn't realize they were still making these. I guess it makes sense, since some people probably have extensive libraries they'd like to keep playing.

How soon before we see a PS3 emulator on PC?

PS3 emulator for PC: https://rpcs3.net/

Still a long way to go but they are making regular progress.

†††††††††

News Comments > Quake Champions Beta Signups
8. Re: Quake Champions Beta Signups Mar 7, 2017, 22:33 Mordecai Walfish

as much as i dread what horrible things they could do to the franchise.. quake is one of my favorite games ever, so how could i not be curious and sign up with 5 different e-mail accounts for the beta?  

†††††††††

News Comments > Steam Top 10
4. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 5, 2017, 18:34 Mordecai Walfish

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 5, 2017, 12:21:
Anybody on here get Blackwake? That game looks pretty fun, albeit a bit limited, long term.

Haven't played Blackwake, but I did play the PVK2 map that inspired it. I'm a bit disappointed that Blackwake doesn't have the kraken like in the PVK2 map, which will randomly eat one of the ships if time runs out in sudden death. If both ships/crews get eaten, there is a second round sudden death inside of the kraken's belly with the remaining crews battling it out on what's left of their ships. One of the most fun game modes I've played.

†††††††††

News Comments > Shroud of the Avatar Free Trial
4. Re: Shroud of the Avatar Free Trial Mar 4, 2017, 16:20 Mordecai Walfish

My love for his older games makes me want to try this, but having seen updates of its development for a long while now I really don't think this is going to be any good at all.  

†††††††††

1553 Comments. 78 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo