Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 2045 (Senior)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 25, 2018, 13:12 Mordecai Walfish

Prez wrote on Apr 25, 2018, 10:53:
Kind of a dick move by Microsoft, but well within their legal rights, and some would even say obligation.

It was a pretty dumb move using Microsoft and Dell logos on these discs.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 22, 2018, 17:53 Mordecai Walfish

Saw a video of Joe Rogan talking about Quake today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_mo-aV60xA

Apparently he was pretty big into it back in the 90's, knew about Thresh and was talking about a T1 line he had installed in his home because of how addicted he was. He proceeds to start planning on turning his secondary studio room into a LAN party area. Completely out of left field lol.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 22, 2018, 17:42 Mordecai Walfish

It's no surprise Skyrim is still selling so well, with excellent mods like Project AHO still coming out.  

News Comments > Valve Acquires Campo Santo
2. Re: Valve Acquires Campo Santo Apr 22, 2018, 15:26 Mordecai Walfish

Valve said they'd be releasing games again.. just not making them, it seems.  

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Apr 22, 2018, 15:20 Mordecai Walfish

Cutter wrote on Apr 22, 2018, 10:55:
CTF still rules IMO.

Agreed. Best fun I've had in online multiplayer is Q1/Q2 Ctf/Threewave/Thunderwalker. I loved all of it.

Maybe with how successful games like pubg are, while simply based on an empty shell of a multiplayer mode.. we can get a proper CTF standalone game that hits home. Even halo CTF was ridiculously fun at times with the vehicles and crazy map layouts.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2018, 14:47 Mordecai Walfish

Immensely satisfying video of your typical asshole driver getting instant karma:

https://i.imgur.com/WEx4GiZ.mp4

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 22, 2018, 01:38 Mordecai Walfish

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 21, 2018, 18:54:
aside maybe emulated ;p (Last of Us comes to mind)

RPCS3 is making great strides lately. I too never got a chance to play Last Of Us, Or Ni No Kuni, or Journey.

News Comments > Star Citizen Celebrates 2M Backers
25. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 22, 2018, 01:32 Mordecai Walfish

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 21, 2018, 22:56:
I'm one of those idiots from all the way back in something like 2013...

Idiot #7504 checking in. Backed for $35 maybe a day after the kickstarter went live.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 21, 2018, 13:51 Mordecai Walfish

This high refresh rate option means you can now take full advantage of displays with 120Hz capabilities.

.. with console games that are usually capped at 30 fps

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 21, 2018, 13:47 Mordecai Walfish

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 21, 2018, 13:37:
RedEye9 wrote on Apr 21, 2018, 11:48:
As more people go online and more iots devices get into consumer hands the "lack of IPv4 addresses" will definitely be a thing. If is inevitable.
Someday, sure -- but not any time soon. Basically it is NOP. (not our problem)

It became *my* problem when I randomly discovered a bunch of shit was acting haywire/not working, and spent hours troubleshooting until I found out I was quietly switched over to that Carrier Grade NAT bs, which only exists because of the "lack of IPv4 addresses" issue, whether imaginary or not.

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 21, 2018, 13:39 Mordecai Walfish

RE: Avicii

Lived fast and hard. There is a movie about overindulgence in "the scene", called 'It's All Gone, Pete Tong'. Good flick.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 21, 2018, 11:24 Mordecai Walfish

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 20, 2018, 21:40:
Oh, additionally FWIW (possibly not much) -- I have an acquaintance who owns/runs a medium to large privately owned ISP in the Chicago area. And his personal spin on this topic is the "lack of IPv4 addresses" is unlikely to ever be an issue. There are so many chunks that people are squatting on, and so many devices being assigned real IPv4 that don't need them.

There are a number of hacks in the works at isps to alleviate this issue somewhat, like "Carrier Grade NAT", which my ISP recently started using.

This is a direct negative consequence of not switching to ipv6 sooner, as carrier grade NAT is prohibitive in a number of different ways. The way carrier grade NAT works, it could switch your IP address multiple times a day, and break simple things like port forwarding. This conflicts with running a home/remote server as well.

I had to call and discuss issues I was having with my internet with my ISP to find out they had switched to this recently, and it was the source of the issues I was having. They switched me back to standard upon request, but they ask for a reason when you do this. I simply told them I stream media from my home computer to my portable tablets/devices and needed proper NAT for this to work properly. No problems since.

I looked in to it, and many carriers across the country are switching over to patchwork solutions like this, and this is indeed a cause for concern with the limited abilities of solutions like "Carrier Grade NAT".

3. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2018, 11:11 Mordecai Walfish

https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedeals/comments/8dkflg/_/

Free copy of Witcher 1 in gog if you sign up for gwent and link to your gog acct.

Already have a European boxed copy, but having a gog backup can't hurt

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Rupture Map Freed; Shock Operations Plans
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 20, 2018, 08:04 Mordecai Walfish

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 16:35:
Slick wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 16:20:
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 15:53:
The problem is that official servers run all maps in rotation, crashing "non season pass players" violently out of the game randomly, and that is also why I quit playing BF1.

Compared to BF4 it's inferior in every way.

Ps.: This is the real reason
https://battlefieldtracker.com/bf1/insights/population?days=-1

Exactly, the tail-end of these releases are dismal. Because 90% of people who will buy a season pass probably do it in the first few months, and then there's no real continuing revenue stream after 6 months from launch.

I will say though, BF4's Naval DLC expansion fucking killed me. It was set it a tropical paradise with hovercrafts, heli's jets, and fucking AIRCRAFT CARRIERS. With a full hommage to the "Titan" game mode from 2142 in it. And guess what? 2 months after that DLC came out you LITERALLY couldn't find populated servers playing ANY of the maps from that DLC (on PC at least). That shit enraged me to no end. The players didn't even have enough time to figure out how to properly PTFO in that "titan" mode with teh carriers before the numbers dropped to 0. SO AGGRAVATING.

Yeah, if you wanted to play any non-standard conquest or rush game-mode you had a problem in BF4 even before it went free. Though you can still find many servers even today, most of them won't have the naval dlc support activated though since server would be dead if it switched to that non conquest game-mode

I remember these issues going back all the way to Battlefield Bad Company 2 even, with the vietnam expansion pack. They absolutely murder their games by segregating the playerbase like this, and is one of the core reasons I have not bought a battlefield game since 3. You will download all of this wholesome expansion goodness, whether you own it or not, but you can only unlock it by purchasing season passes and other fuckery. No thanks.

News Comments > Battlefield V Battle Royale Plans?
31. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 19, 2018, 11:51 Mordecai Walfish

theglaze wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 09:52:
At least EA has extensive technical knowledge with creating extremely large maps, supporting large player counts with intertwined gameplay mechanics, and operating the network infrastructure to support all that.

PUBG and Fortnite play cluncky and unpolished, partly because of the comparison to the standard EA has put forth with Battlefield, Battlefront, COD, etc.

*awaits a beheading for extending a compliment to EA*

Best compliment I can think to extend to EA is that they didn't create COD.

News Comments > New Ryzen CPU Reviews
4. Re: New Ryzen CPU Reviews Apr 19, 2018, 11:41 Mordecai Walfish

Holy shit that's great news for AMD, looks like they've got a real winner on their hands. This speaks well for competition and also gives hope that we will see good computational power in the next generation of consoles as well, being that they will be using what is likely some close (in power) variant of these. The abysmal power of the jaguar cores in the current gen are a huge sore spot for the industry, as it has kept gaming technology back quite a bit for all the multiplatform games to have to account for that lowest common denominator.

Exciting times. Let's see what Intel has up it's sleeve in response next. They're getting their asses pounded in the price/performance arena as of today.

GG AMD.

News Comments > Battlefield V Battle Royale Plans?
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 19, 2018, 00:45 Mordecai Walfish

Maybe they can be the first ones to create a battle royale mode that is actually a fully fleshed out game, instead of a empty shell of a dayz clone with other mechanics hindered by being an afterthought to the core "loot places and kill people" mechanic. And no, pubg does not count. Look at how vehicles handle in that game; it looks like it's still in beta. dice could nail vehicles and make them actually feel decent, and i'm all for that. fortnite feels really jank because it ends up devolving into a "spam construction pieces" battle at the end of the match, and that type of gameplay is very shallow IMO. Sure its fast-paced and exciting and fun at times, but the gameplay mechanic feels very much out of place in a battle royale type game. having defensive barriers and stuff is nifty, but just being able to spam them everywhere freely is detrimental to a deeper gameplay experience that could be there.

given the success of pubg/fortnite, its a no-brainer that the major fps franchises will be exploring this multiplayer mode, and the battlefield series is perfect because it already has the large player infrastructure down very well, and an engine thats been built already with pretty much everything that this type of game would need.

News Comments > Peggle Free on Origin
9. Re: Peggle Free on Origin Apr 18, 2018, 21:21 Mordecai Walfish

Origin Marketing Team - 1
BluesNews - 0

News Comments > Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA Released
22. Re: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA Released Apr 17, 2018, 15:31 Mordecai Walfish

Tolkien should have named his book "The Midget" instead of "The Hobbit".. clearly would have been less confusing to readers who don't want to see the English language so abused.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 17, 2018, 14:58 Mordecai Walfish

WaltC wrote on Apr 17, 2018, 13:24:
ForgedReality wrote on Apr 17, 2018, 10:46:
Will Windows 10 ever be out of alpha?

Heh...;) I've been an Insider since 10/2014...;) Still am. I honestly cannot remember the last beta build I had a problem with (for at least a year or two), and whatever the problem for the latest official release is--it hasn't affected me even once. I'm now on Win10x64, version 1803, build 17134.1, the latest and I would bet the the latest official release build is this very build. It's the best, most stable, most backwards-compatible (especially for games) version of Windows yet to be released, imo. Way, way better than 7 and better by far than 8.1. Blue-screen, green-screens? What are they?...;) Can barely remember the last one I had--and that was from too much overclocking--ie, my fault and nothing to do with the Windows code base at all.

I think you may not be aware of the development cycle for Windows 10 these days. Microsoft is developing *two* official release builds of Windows 10 per year--one every six months or so. In Perpetuity. (The Insider's beta program is not open to the general public, but anyone who wants to may join it.) When the official release builds are released to the public they are *free*, and if your original Windows 10x64 license was retail (as opposed to OEM)--and if you built your own machine as I always do--then you get the latest Windows10x64 release whenever you wish to upgrade your present version for as long as *you* live...;) Pretty sweet deal, if you ask me. OEM Windows licenses expire when you dump your hardware, but even with those you can continue to upgrade to newer versions gratis so long as you keep your hardware--which almost always means just the motherboard. Retail licenses follow the customer; OEM licenses follow the the OEM hardware (motherboard.)

This is the the way they will do it for now on. There will be no "Windows 2020" or "Windows 11,12,13 or 14," etc. It's Windows 10--only version and build numbers will change. Not sure why some folks have such a hard time with the concept, myself--it works very well, imo.

When with Win7 it used to take me 2 + hours to do an upgrade install, with Win10x64 upgrading through Windows Update it takes me 15-20 minutes offline to upgrade, because nowadays most of the upgrade is done while you are online and still working with other apps, playing games, etc. An SSD makes a nice difference, but they've changed the whole structure of the upgrade install so that nowadays only a small portion of it is handled offline. It's *nothing* like it used to be--it's far better.

Just thought you might like to know...;)

That's nice you had a good experience with it. Many of us have not. I still keep a dual-boot system with windows 7 alongside 10, because of compatibility issues, and core issues in Windows 10. When I upgraded to the last big Windows 10 (creators update or something), it took well over an hour, and nuked my administrator profile (the only profile I had created at that point) upon finishing up the upgrade. I said fuck it for a while and just used Windows 7, occasionally trying stuff to get my Win10 profile working, but finally just gave up and decided I should create a new profile and accept whatever is lost is lost, as was recommended to me on the microsoft support forums. I booted into windows 10 to start this process, and all of a sudden my old profile is logging in without issues, after about a month of not working.

Windows 10 also has huge memory management issues, which result in freezing and stuttering of games. Some people say it is fixed in the 1803 update that you're on (FYI, this is also the exact same build that is reported in this article as giving people people BSOD issues). That is not the newest official release, and I am not beta testing microsoft shit given how bad this experience has already been. Performance is also strikingly similar in Windows 10/7, when they were talking about how good it supposedly was for gamers (anytime microsoft says theyre doing something good for gamers on PC, we should be *VERY* fucking wary at this point, I know). Cinebench gives equal CPU results in both windows 7/10, and actually comes in at ~25fps less in Win10 for openGL performance in the cinebench test. (windows 7 - ~180fps, windows 10 - ~155fps). After installing the Spectre/Meltdown patches I ran benchmarks to see how performance compared before/after, and in windows 10, my cpu score dropped about 4 points (from 955 to 951), but in windows 7, it actually went *up* by a point. I ran the tests multiple times and the results were consistent each time.

I actually feel much better running windows 7 than 10 right now, given all the shit ive had to deal with on that platform so far. I havent had a single BSOD on this windows 7 install since I did the overclocks/stability testing on my system initially after purchase. I feel like having both o/s accessible has given me a chance to kind of benchmark them alongside eachother in real-time as they improve windows 10. But for now the better performing and behaving O/S IMO is clearly Windows 7. They're making progress in 10, but it's not where it needs to be yet.

2045 Comments. 103 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo